Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Morgan Harrington -- Found Deceased 1/26/10

+17
Alessandra_Deux
Sherry
Julie
sitemama
randilynn
Dis
Estee
khintx
Michelle
Tracey6434
Cali
Snaz
JAG
Piper
Booklover
Justice4all
FystyAngel
21 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Morgan Harrington -- Found Deceased 1/26/10 - Page 2 Empty Re: Morgan Harrington -- Found Deceased 1/26/10

Post by FystyAngel Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:28 am

FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Mood : Neener

http://www.realitychatter.com

Back to top Go down

Morgan Harrington -- Found Deceased 1/26/10 - Page 2 Empty Medical Examiner Positively Identifies Remains as Morgan Harrington

Post by Justice4all Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:08 pm

Meantime, Harrington's father tells CBS 6 about his mission to honor his daughter's memory.

ALBEMARLE COUNTY - The state medical examiner has confirmed the remains found on an Albemarle County Farm Tuesday are those of Morgan Harrington.

Virginia State Police say the confirmation was made using dental records provided by the family and say the investigation continues into the time and cause of death.

Meantime, Morgan Harrington's father talks to CBS 6 about the discovery of his daughter's remains and what the revelation means to his family.

Dan Harrington tells Catie Beck, "This may sound strange, but we have found some peace in all of this. It wasn't the outcome that we wanted but we know now where our daughter is and there is peace in that."

Harrington said he felt that God had answered his prayers in a way after last week telling his wife he couldn't take much more of the 'not knowing.'

He said, "Now we have to figure out how to honor Morgan in death, how to have her life mean something."

In a conversation Wednesday morning, Harrington says his mission may include campus safety or self-defense for women, but most importantly he wants his daughter to be remembered.

"That's been always our biggest challenge - making sure that people don't forget her."

Harrington says the Charlottesville community has taken this case seriously from the beginning and that he has stated from early on that there was a crime and that the criminal lives in the Charlottesville area.

He says, "I always said she would be found within five miles of the campus. This person knew the area. If Mr. Bass had found a fresh body, we would be feeling very differently today, like perhaps Morgan had been held and tortured. I think my daughter was dead before that concert was over."

The family has not made burial arrangements yet ,but they plan to.

Harrington also mentioned that he and his wife were recently on Capitol Hill testifying on behalf of the National Center for Missing Adults telling their story about Morgan. He says he's been amazed by the goodness of people through all of this and that he and his wife Gil have grown as people through the process.

Late Tuesday afternoon, Virginia State Police announced the discovery of the body of Morgan Harrington, saying they are "fairly comfortable with that conclusion."

Col. W. Steven Flaherty said items and evidence found on site indicate the remains are those of Harrington. He said Morgan's parents, Dan and Gil Harrington, were on hand to make the tentative identification. He indicated the search for her, underway since October 17 of last year, was now over.

Lt. Joe Rader, the lead investigator in Harrington's disappearance, said the area where the remains were discovered had not been searched previously. He added that the missing person case was now most likely a homicide. He said investigators were combing the area carefully, saying it was "imperative to maintain the sanctity of the crime scene, since the perpetrator, or perpetrators," were still at large.

He would not characterize the state of the remains, nor what evidence may have been found at the scene.

The Harringtons arrived in the Charlottesville area in the early afternoon. They had told CBS 6 they were there to identify skeletal remains that had been found in Albemarle County Tuesday morning. When speaking, Morgan's father Dan was in tears, telling CBS 6 "this is a horrible day" for his family.

An Albemarle County resident found the remains Tuesday morning at a private residence called Anchorage Farm on Anchorage Farm Road in the southern region of Albemarle County. The farm is ten miles from the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville where 20-year-old Morgan Harrington was last seen at a Metallica concert October 17.

CBS 6's Catie Beck spoke to David Bass, who discovered the remains on his property. Bass, a farmer and owner of Anchorage Farm, says after the wind and rain last week there were several downed trees in his yard. He was out looking for possible damage to make repairs in a remote area of his property, when he spotted the body.

He said the area would be next to impossible to access from a road, since it's at least a mile and a half from the roadway.

He said at first he didn't know whether the remains were human or animal, describing them as very badly decomposed. "I looked down and saw what looked like a human skull and my first thought was that it was Morgan Harrington," said Bass. He said the skull had no hair on it and he couldn't tell from looking whether the remains were male or female.

He immediately went inside and called 911, telling a dispatcher, "I'm not even sure if this is a human body, but I think so."

Bass told CBS6, "We're a small, rural family and we've never had any trespassers. Now in dealing with this tragedy, of a dead person and at the same time [wondering] if this is Morgan Harrington, a part of me thinks this is something good for people to know."

He said police confirmed right away that it was a human body.

Source: http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-body-found-albemarle-100126,0,5332581.story
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Mood : Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Morgan Harrington -- Found Deceased 1/26/10 - Page 2 Empty Re: Morgan Harrington -- Found Deceased 1/26/10

Post by Justice4all Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:10 pm

Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Morgan Harrington -- Found Deceased 1/26/10 - Page 2 Empty STATEMENT BY DR. DAN HARRINGTON

Post by Justice4all Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:13 pm

Morgan's mother, Gil, and I are overwhelmingly saddened by yesterday's discovery, but we are also relieved because our questions can now be answered and we can give our daughter a proper burial. We know that because of the good life Morgan led and the love she created for everyone around her, she is now in a safer, better place. We appreciate everyone's respect for our privacy at this difficult time and we thank everyone who has helped us through this tragedy and helped us find Morgan.

Source: http://findmorgan.com/
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Morgan Harrington -- Found Deceased 1/26/10 - Page 2 Empty Harringtons deliver emotional message

Post by Justice4all Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:15 pm

MEDIA GENERAL NEWS SERVICE
Published: January 27, 2010

Stoic and struggling to contain emotions, the parents of the late Morgan Harrington spoke out this afternoon about their daughter from the spot on Copeley Bridge where she was last seen.

Authorities confirmed earlier today that skeletal remains found at an Albemarle County farm off U.S. 29 south of Charlottesville belonged to Morgan Harrington, a Virginia Tech student who disappeared outside John Paul Jones arena the night of a Metallica concert Oct. 17

Dan and Gil Harrington said they are considering ways now to honor their daughter, while at the same time vowing to never rest until her killer or killers can be found. The death is being investigated as a homicide case.

“Our sorrow is etched in our faces and our pain has been carved in our hearts,“ Gil Harrington said at the news conference minutes ago.

She described the search for her daughter, a period that included the Harringtons turning to the public and the media in a concerted effort to keep the case in the public eye, as an “unimaginable journey.“

The Harringtons said they are relieved to finally know the answer to the mystery of where Morgan Harrington was, though much remains about what happened after her last contact with friends and family.

Gil Harrington said she is relieved to no longer wonder “every minute what is he doing to my daughter now. What is she having to endure?“ She spoke of mental anguish at the thought of someone doing “unspeakable things” to her daughter.

The parents said in the brief remarks that they will continue working with authorities and thanked supporters from across Virginia and beyond.

Source: http://www2.starexponent.com/cse/news/state_regional/article/harringtons_deliver_emotional_message/51167/
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:09 pm

Medical Examiner Positively Identifies Remains as Morgan Harrington
Meantime, Harrington's father tells CBS 6 about his mission to honor his daughter's memory.

Catie Beck and Misti Davidson
January 26, 2010

ALBEMARLE COUNTY - The state medical examiner has confirmed the remains found on an Albemarle County Farm Tuesday are those of Morgan Harrington.

Virginia State Police say the confirmation was made using dental records provided by the family and say the investigation continues into the time and cause of death.

Meantime, Morgan Harrington's father talks to CBS 6 about the discovery of his daughter's remains and what the revelation means to his family.

Dan Harrington tells Catie Beck, "This may sound strange, but we have found some peace in all of this. It wasn't the outcome that we wanted but we know now where our daughter is and there is peace in that."

Harrington said he felt that God had answered his prayers in a way after last week telling his wife he couldn't take much more of the 'not knowing.'

He said, "Now we have to figure out how to honor Morgan in death, how to have her life mean something."

In a conversation Wednesday morning, Harrington says his mission may include campus safety or self-defense for women, but most importantly he wants his daughter to be remembered.

"That's been always our biggest challenge - making sure that people don't forget her."

Harrington says the Charlottesville community has taken this case seriously from the beginning and that he has stated from early on that there was a crime and that the criminal lives in the Charlottesville area.

He says, "I always said she would be found within five miles of the campus. This person knew the area. If Mr. Bass had found a fresh body, we would be feeling very differently today, like perhaps Morgan had been held and tortured. I think my daughter was dead before that concert was over."

The family has not made burial arrangements yet ,but they plan to.

Harrington also mentioned that he and his wife were recently on Capitol Hill testifying on behalf of the National Center for Missing Adults telling their story about Morgan. He says he's been amazed by the goodness of people through all of this and that he and his wife Gil have grown as people through the process.

Late Tuesday afternoon, Virginia State Police announced the discovery of the body of Morgan Harrington, saying they are "fairly comfortable with that conclusion."

Col. W. Steven Flaherty said items and evidence found on site indicate the remains are those of Harrington. He said Morgan's parents, Dan and Gil Harrington, were on hand to make the tentative identification. He indicated the search for her, underway since October 17 of last year, was now over.

Lt. Joe Rader, the lead investigator in Harrington's disappearance, said the area where the remains were discovered had not been searched previously. He added that the missing person case was now most likely a homicide. He said investigators were combing the area carefully, saying it was "imperative to maintain the sanctity of the crime scene, since the perpetrator, or perpetrators," were still at large.

He would not characterize the state of the remains, nor what evidence may have been found at the scene.

The Harringtons arrived in the Charlottesville area in the early afternoon. They had told CBS 6 they were there to identify skeletal remains that had been found in Albemarle County Tuesday morning. When speaking, Morgan's father Dan was in tears, telling CBS 6 "this is a horrible day" for his family.

An Albemarle County resident found the remains Tuesday morning at a private residence called Anchorage Farm on Anchorage Farm Road in the southern region of Albemarle County. The farm is ten miles from the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville where 20-year-old Morgan Harrington was last seen at a Metallica concert October 17.

CBS 6's Catie Beck spoke to David Bass, who discovered the remains on his property. Bass, a farmer and owner of Anchorage Farm, says after the wind and rain last week there were several downed trees in his yard. He was out looking for possible damage to make repairs in a remote area of his property, when he spotted the body.

He said the area would be next to impossible to access from a road, since it's at least a mile and a half from the roadway.

He said at first he didn't know whether the remains were human or animal, describing them as very badly decomposed. "I looked down and saw what looked like a human skull and my first thought was that it was Morgan Harrington," said Bass. He said the skull had no hair on it and he couldn't tell from looking whether the remains were male or female.

He immediately went inside and called 911, telling a dispatcher, "I'm not even sure if this is a human body, but I think so."

Bass told CBS6, "We're a small, rural family and we've never had any trespassers. Now in dealing with this tragedy, of a dead person and at the same time [wondering] if this is Morgan Harrington, a part of me thinks this is something good for people to know."

He said police confirmed right away that it was a human body.

http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtvr-body-found-albemarle-100126,0,496709.story
Snaz
Snaz

Mood : Whistling

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:13 pm

View Morgan Harrington in a larger map
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:14 am

Thanks tonnes J4A.....
After doing somemore reading on this sad case...

I am pretty convinced it was not Morgan that was on the bridge...

Hwer purse and cell phone (with battery removed) was found close by the concert hall where she had been spotted close by that area where her car was parked at about 9ish... it seems like she met her fate rightr there and then... prolly abducted in that parking lot and taken away...where he tossed her purse and cell....I think that the person who did this was prolly a stranger to her and someone very farmilair with that whole area..... it cud have been someone who was in the parking lot on the look out for a girl who was alone and easy prey.. Someone watching when there wasnt much ppl traffic during the concert... maybe someone even dressed up as security... whoever it was, Im glad to hear farticles that Morgan wud have faught tooth and nail...

I hope LE have crimestoppers or something where anyone who saw suspicious bruising and cuts on someone at that time, calls and reports it... Seems like for sure he is from that area... I pray there are prints and dna all over the crime scene and her purse and phone.;...

Hopefully LE are strating to receive lots of possible results...

Back to top Go down

Post by Cali Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:47 am

IT seems that the abductor had enough knowledge of new crime techniques to remove the battery from the cell to prevent any pings to help LE locate it. I don't believe this girl was thumbing a ride from a stranger...too risky. Possibly the perp wore a security guard uniform and promised Morgan that he would get her to a safe place to wait for her friends, etc.
Cali
Cali

Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cali Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:54 am

Such a contrast of grieving families...the obvious pain , honesty and cooperation of Morgan's parents compared to the publicity-hounds money-grubbing Anthony's.
It is very clear that Morgan came from a first-class family who loved her very much.
Cali
Cali

Back to top Go down

Post by Cali Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:59 am

If anything good can come from this, it would be a new law that bans the entry security personnel for concerts from automatically and unconditionally preventing someone who exited the gates from returning to their seat. There has to be more consideration given to a single gal who could face unknown threats if forced to remain outside of an arena.
Cali
Cali

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:48 am

AJ, you might be right that she didn't make it to the bridge unless she turned around and started walking back towards the school. I updated the map with the approximate location where her purse and cell phone were found.

Not much about this case makes sense to me. It doesn't make sense that she would leave the arena without her ticket, and it doesn't make sense that she wouldn't call and ask her friends to bring her ticket to the entrance when she was outside. I also agree with Cali that it seems out of character for Morgan to be thumbing a ride from a stranger, and that something should be done to stop security from preventing somebody back into the arena just because they lost their ticket.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:05 am

I also have to wonder how her friends heard their phone ring and were able to talk on a cell during a Metallica concert. Did the friend actually speak to Morgan, or was it a voice mail or text message? Kids that age tend to text more than call. I don't believe that was Morgan spotted on the bridge either. No girl, especially alone and locked out of a concert hall, would walk off without her purse and cell. The missing battery tells a lot, and I also hope there are prints and DNA.
Piper
Piper

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:15 am

Thanks for the map, J4A. That is so very helpful. I just don't see her walking that far away. Does anyone know how many witnesses reported that they saw Morgan on the bridge?
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dis Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:20 pm

I am hoping the motion detector camaras in the area where she was dumped may have picked something up. Hopefully they record as well as detect....so sad...no one is safe, anywhere.

Cali~I don't understand how she got locked out. Why would she leave the arena anyway. Anything she could possibly need would be INSIDE the arena.

I agree with everyone else, it doesn't make sense that she would go as far as that bridge. Somethings not right.
Dis
Dis

Location : Somewhere in fantasy land havin a blast with Jules and eva :)
Mood : Sick 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:04 pm

I believe the person who said they ssaw her on the bridge also said she had a scarpe or injury on her chin...

If this is the case, I believe that her autopsy should pick up any contusions, or abrasions specifically on her chin. Im not sure if the decompostion and skeletonized bones will give the results but heres hoping...

Her parents are clearly pretty sure it was her on that bridge...

If that was really her, it wud implicate that she had already been attacked (cell phone and purse on the lot at the arena) so why wud she be hitch hiking, and not running in the street looking for help frantically???

I have gone searching on the net in an effort to find staements LE have made about any factual account... There is so many conflicting stories, its hard to know what was said by LE if anything at all...

I did see an entry in the Raonoke paper where LE say that a conversation took place between Morgan and her frineds where Morgan said she cud not get bak in and wud find her way home ...I believe LE have not stated who generated the call.... her frined that she attended the concert was Amy Melvin also her roomate, and the 2 went to Cozet to pick up another friend off Campus and her boyfriend..

It is also reported that they used AMys car to pick these 2 up and that the boyfriend drove the car to the concert and still had Dana's keys the next day....

It is also reported that Mr Harrington said that her purse and cell phone where spotted by someone the next morning and that her cell phone had the battery top off, and he said it cud have even popped off had it been dropped... It does not specifically say whther the battery was recovered or not... I got the impression that it was...why wud he say that if the battery was gone???

If this is true then it seems very strange that Dana didnt drive her car to the concert unless she was impaired... If she was impaired I cant believe for one minute that her friends (who it is claimed she talked too at 8:48) wud be ok with her "making her way home" without her car and all by herself at night at a concert... unless she was a known "partier" drug taker, drinker....along with her friends.

If this is true, It is believed that Mr Harrington found out Dana was missing when he called Amy the next day afternoon to find out where Morgan was as she was not there to study.... He called them...

Clearly, we dont have very many of the facts and who knows if there is any real truth to what we think we know...

There have been several ppl that came forward reciting their account of seeing Morgan and all describing her to be impaired or at least abnormal in certain ways and some say she was with a group of a few guys..

It is believed that she was close by the RVs in a parking lot and this was also close to where her purse and phone were found... this was at about "9:10

We dont know if securtiy can or has corroborated that they did see her and that she was refused reentry.. From a few accounts it sounds like if it was Morgan, it was a heated attempt at the door...

The real sad part is that if she was imparied and her frineds left her to fend for herself from previous experiences, it is a shame and also believeable. If she was not a known partyer, or drug taker, then the whole account with the frineds is very baffling... Why wud she ok with not being abe to get abk in and leaving her car with her friends where she wudnt have had the keys??

I am holding out hope that her friends have come clean with everything about Morgans state of mind and their party habits and that they have cooperated 100 percent..I am wondering if the partying is true and her behavior where someone even suggested agressive.. is true.. I guess it is possible that when Morgan gets out of it, her friends let her go off and do whatever ....and that in the past she has alwys made out OK, with getting home.. On the otherhand, if she was acting this way, where it was out of character, then one wud think the frineds wud have been way more diligent in taking care of their friend..Amy and morgan have been best friends since gr 6, and drew up together..

It is said that this friends boyfrined (who had her keys) is not considered a suspect...

here is the link to this info where agains I say its hard to know what is fact or misconstrued info...

"Police have confirmed that a friend inside the concert had driven Morgan’s car and still had her keys."
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:ck92oH5QnXIJ:www.readthehook.com/blog/index.php/2009/11/15/concerned-witnesses-before-hitching-morgan-harrington-caused-worry/+dana+%22amy+melvin%22+roanoke+8:48&cd=18&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:21 pm

AJ, thanks for the info. I had read information also that Morgan had been drinking all day, but I couldn't find anything to substantiate it to be the truth. And that her friends had her keys and had driven to the concert. That made me think maybe she had been drinking. But what bothered me, that her good friends didn't check on her later? Or even the next morning? I read on a CNN article today that her friend had called Morgan's cell at 8:48pm.
So I was looking at J4A's map, where she was spotted in the parking lot, then where her purse/cell were found. And how far away the bridge seemed.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:49 pm

The area where her purse/cell were found near the track field seems like it would be very dark and desolate at night. And, if her parents truly feel like that was Morgan on the bridge over the railroad tracks, maybe it was really her. I also hope her friends have given up all they know, although I don't believe they had anything to do with her disappearance, they could still hold some clues as far as patterns, etc.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Piper... I saw the article on CNN too about Amy being the one to call Morgan..then on Roanoke Local news.. they say Morgan called her... I cud not find any statement from LE elaborating on who called who..

The only thing I saw from a presser interview in transcript, was that LE said that the Amy and Morgans friend's boyfriend had Morgans keys as he was the one who had driven her car load, and he still had the keys in his possession the next day...They also said he was not a suspect...

I doubt the friends were involved either, and after seeing so much on several different ppls accounts of seeing Morgan that night, if they are true, it almost sounds like she was wasted...I wonder if she may have habitually got wasted and exibited this kind of behavior where her friends became "used to it", Apparantly, they seemed to be pretty passive with her leaving to go and smoke alone, and then not being able to get bak in, without any of them putting up any kind of argument or coming to her aide.....

If this described behavior was out of characater, i cant see how the friends wud have been "OK" with her getting her own way home...it seems weird for one person in a group to go out for a smoke alone ..It is said that the policy at the arena, is that if you leave, you cant come bak in, even with a ticket stub....I ccant beliveve this wud have been a new rule... You wud think that someone in her group had been to this venue before where they shud have known the rules and what wud happen if you leave... why someone didnt go with her, and the fact that the friends didnt seem too worried about her, almost makes me think this was (typical) behavior of her when she was partying...

I agree that this RV place should have been dark and desolute but I get the idea that it must have been well lit with groups of ppl here and there..as there were eyewitness reports of ppl seeing her in that area...sayigh she was within a group and also standing alone.

If the guy friend, volentarily had her keys.. i cant see why she was in that area where the parking lots were, unless it was to party with either strangers or acquaintences.. It was told by some eyewitnesses that the RV area was the party place where many ppl were parked and partying... It is kind of sounding like she was definitley out of her better judgement and this area is also beside the empty lot where her purse and cell phone was found... If she went in to the wrong trailer she cud have met up with her murderer where she may have been killed right on the grounds, then put in a vehicle, where her belongings were tossed out the window on the way to the buriel area that he put her in.. This cud have taken place by the middle of the night...The ppl in these RVs cud be either locals or visitors... One thing is good and thats the reward... Is it still available for info leading to an arrest???? Someone has to know something and that money will hopefully motivate someoe to talk.... I hope LE has asked the locals in that area to think about who they may have seen around that time with weird unexplianed faciail and extremity wounds...

Does anyone know how many minutes walking distance, the concert is from the bridge..?

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:44 pm

John Paul Jones Arena
295 Massie RoadCharlottesville, VA 22903
(434) 243-4960

1. Head northwest 128 ft
2. Turn left toward Copeley Rd/Co Rd 302 66 ft
3. Turn right toward Copeley Rd/Co Rd 302 105 ft
4. Turn left at Copeley Rd/Co Rd 302 174 ft
5. Continue straight to stay on Copeley Rd/Co Rd 302 0.2 mi

Bridge Where Morgan Was Last Seen Alive
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by sitemama Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:00 pm

If my calculations are correct, that would be 1,529 ft.

A mile being 5,280 feet, that would be a little over 1/4 mile, right? It shouldn't have taken too long to walk that distance.
sitemama
sitemama
Admin

Mood : Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:37 pm

Your calculations are correct sitemama. The bridge wasn't very far at all. The directions on Google maps say it's about a 7 minute walk from the arena.

I don't know all the circumstances of that day, but if I was at a concert with a friend who got locked out, I would leave the concert if I had to. Whether my friend was high, drunk, or sober, I would not want to leave him or her outside looking for a ride home from a stranger.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sitemama Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:13 am

Especially if she was high or drunk!! She didn't need friends like that.
sitemama
sitemama
Admin

Mood : Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:08 pm

Harrington’s death ruled a homicide

MEDIA GENERAL NEWS SERVICE
Published: February 3, 2010
Updated: February 3, 2010

The chief medical examiner’s office in Virginia has determined that Morgan D. Harrington’s death was a homicide.

The office said Tuesday that it has no further information on how the 20-year-old Virginia Tech student was killed.

State police officials treated the search for Harrington as a criminal investigation, and had previously said her death was “most likely” a homicide. The ruling from Richmond made that official.

Harrington’s mother, Gil Harrington, said she hadn’t yet heard the official determination Tuesday evening. Harrington’s parents have been saying for months that their daughter was murdered.

“It is extraneous,” she said. “We have known since day one that this girl was taken.”

She added, “After seeing her body, it was clear that she has been dead for a long time, and you know she did not just have a heart attack. She was a young, healthy woman. It’s clear. She was taken and she was killed.”

Harrington disappeared Oct. 17 from a Metallica concert she was attending at the University of Virginia’s John Paul Jones Arena.

She left the concert and her friends and in, a phone conversation, told her friends she would make her own way home.

Police have reconstructed a timeline of her movements near the arena, but the picture ends abruptly at 9:30 p.m., when she was seen hitchhiking on the Copeley Road railroad bridge.

In the months after her disappearance, hundreds of volunteers and law enforcement officials searched the surrounding area.

Her remains were found Jan. 26 in an Albemarle County cow pasture, about 10 miles south of where she was last seen.

After the discovery, police combed the area where her body was found.

The medical examiner was quickly able to confirm the remains were Harrington’s with dental records her parents provided.

State police have said they hope to learn the cause and time of death to further their investigation.

They are still soliciting tips about Harrington’s disappearance at 352-3467.

Harrington’s family has announced that a memorial Mass will be celebrated in memory of her life at 3:30 p.m. Friday at St. Andrew’s Catholic Church in Roanoke. The service is open to the public.

A reception will follow at the Hotel Roanoke.

Her parents ask that in lieu of flowers, those wishing to send a gift make a donation to:

The Morgan Dana Harrington Memorial Scholarship at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine; mail to Virginia Tech, Attn: Gift Accounting, University Development (0336), Blacksburg, VA 24061; or

Orphan Medical Network International, which provides medical care in Africa; mail to 6930 Empire Lane, Roanoke, VA 24018.

http://www2.starexponent.com/cse/news/local/article/harringtons_death_ruled_a_homicide/51596/
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:03 pm

Here is an article I found that desribes the timeline.. There are a few pic of the rv lot (which was reportedly lit up that night) along with where her purse was found and the bridge...

Here is the article and not sure how reliable it is and here is the luink if you want to see the pic..

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:_Zs_uz23RCgJ:www.readthehook.com/blog/index.php/2009/10/28/on-the-bridge-morgan-harrington-last-seen-over-train-tracks/+bridge+purse+%22morgan%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

The young woman whose disappearance during an October 17 Metallica concert touched off a national search was last seen on a bridge around 9:30 that night near busy Ivy Road. The information came in a Wednesday morning press conference in Charlottesville in which State Police Lieutenant Joe Rader expressed hope that a newly detailed timeline would provoke additional clues from concert-goers and other witnesses.

“Perhaps you saw someone stop a vehicle,” said Rader. “Perhaps you saw this young lady get into a vehicle. Somewhere out there lie the answers or lies the vital link.”

Rader described the timeline, pieced together from witness interviews, as fairly accurate, but he noted that it changed within the 30 minutes before the press conference began— and that it remains subject to further refinement, particularly since some witnesses were not wearing watches.

“We believe that what happened from 8:30 to 9:30 is very relevant,” Rader said, adding that subsequent info is also important. “Nothing is too trivial. If you think you saw something, let us determine after interviewing you the relevancy of that.”

Rader said that Harrington was last seen walking on the bridge that carries Copeley Road over the CSX/Buckingham Branch railroad tracks, a site adjacent to the RV Lot. The Lot is where Harrington’s black purse with two long straps was found, and Rader indicated there were other people nearby who must have seen Morgan.

The red dot marks the RV lot where Morgan’s purse was found.
HOOK GRAPHIC
“We need those people to contact us,” said Rader. “We don’t have all the information we need from the Charlottesville area. We believe those answers are around here.”

The dominant use of the rail line running under the bridge is the slow— at least in that stretch— westbound return of empty coal and grain cars returning from Tidewater ports, although the line is also used for the three-days-a-week run of the Cardinal passenger train.

Declining to answer questions, Rader also qualified the following timeline as based on interviews with people who saw someone matching Harrington’s description near the John Paul Jones Arena, which reportedly adhered to its no-reentry policy by barring Harrington after she left, ostensibly in search of a bathroom.

UVA spokesperson Carol Wood confirms that a mobile light, like this one installed for the October 31 football game against Duke, was operating in the RV Lot during the Metallica concert.
PHOTO BY HAWES SPENCER
He urges tipsters, who may remain anonymous, to call at 434-352-3467 or email State Police.

8:20 - 8:30 - Harrington outside Arena at front and the side facing U-Hall

8:30-8:48 -Harrington at various locations outside arena

8:48 - friend calls and offers other entry door suggestions, but Harrington says she’ll try to get a ride home from “friends around Charlottesville”

8:48 - 9:00 - Harrington still in the Arena area
9:00 - 9:10 - Harrington walking with purse through U-Hall parking lot “around” and “walking in the same direction”— but not necessarily “with”— other people
9:10 - 9:20 - Harrington in the RV Lot with “limited interaction” with witnesses
9:20 - some witnesses leave in vehicles
9:20 - 9:30 - Harrington walks on the Copeley Road bridge near Ivy Road

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:17 pm

I have been searching to find out if the witness who saw her on the bridge, noticed if her purse was with her?? I have found conflicting info... LE of course are tight lipped... Also was she said to have been hitcjhiking away from the arena or towards it???

If she was going away from it with her purse, it wud seem weird that the person who took and threw her in that field, wud have hung on to her purse . That wud mean that he didnt toss it with her remains. If he didnt notice it was in his car, then that wud mean that he wud have retunred to the rv area and then ditched it by the lot..? That doesnt make much sense ... !!

If she didnt have her purse on the bridge and looked like she had blood on her chin, then you wud think she wud have already been accosted/struggled with...maybe just for her purse..

I wonder if there was any money found in her purse the next morning or if any other valuables were missing??..

Im starting to wonder if its possible that she met with 2 different assaults that night? Sounds very odd that she cud have had 2 seperate attacks.. one for her purse and the other for her life.

If she was mugged lets say by a group she met at the RV area, and was socializing hanging out..if she was totally smashed, it wud be a flag for some punks to realize that they cud take her purse and run....then toss it in that lot as they were running... they likely wudnt want her phone as that wud get them caught.. and the dad said that the battery lid was off the phone and he said that the lid may have fallen off the back of the phone from the impact of being tossed.. (I am not sure if that was only wishfull thinking) and I have not been able to find in any article whether the battery was there or not..

If she was mugged, she wud have been without her purse and phone and cudnt call anyone..She may have aimlessly been walking and hitching a ride, where she wud have met with the second perp and murderer, who never had to deal with the purse as it may not have been on her, and alsready discarded by the first punks..who were unrelated?? ..Lets face it ..if punks mugged her purse and tossed it, they wud never come forward in fear of being accused of the murder..

I hope metallica throws another 100k in to that fund to help get someone to talk.. I doubt it wud make a dent in their wallets..Someone knows something.. maybe even a suspicious spouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next