Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Katherine Phillips -- Missing 6/29/2011

+9
angiefly2
Julie
Justice4all
FystyAngel
KariBear
Piper
linden
sitemama
BREEZE4
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Katherine Phillips -- Missing 6/29/2011  - Page 2 Empty Re: Katherine Phillips -- Missing 6/29/2011

Post by Julie Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:17 pm

Ariel Courtland, Mother Of Baby Kate Phillips, Plans To Marry Man Suspected Of Killing Their Daughter

Huffington Post | By David Moye
Posted: 09/11/2012 6:47 pm Updated: 09/11/2012 6:51 pm

The mother of an infant girl who has been missing since June, 2011, plans to marry the man suspected of killing their infant daughter last year.

Ariel Courtland has filed paperwork to marry Sean Phillips, the father of her daughter, Kate, known in the Michigan area as "Baby Kate Phillips."

Baby Kate disappeared on June 29, 2011, at the age of 4 1/2 months, from her home in Ludington, Mich. Phillips was the last person to see her alive, WOOD-TV reported.

Read more:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/11/ariel-courtland-marry-suspected-killer-of-daughter_n_1875250.html
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life
Mood : Musical

Back to top Go down

Katherine Phillips -- Missing 6/29/2011  - Page 2 Empty Re: Katherine Phillips -- Missing 6/29/2011

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:24 pm

This is unbelievable!
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:32 pm

Shows her priorities in life.
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life

Back to top Go down

Post by angiefly2 Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:50 am

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/target_8/Sean-Phillips-letter-about-Baby-Kate

LUDINGTON, Mich. (WOOD) - A letter apparently written by Sean Phillips details what happened the day his daughter Baby Kate went missing, explains how he believes the girl died and what he did with her body.

** Editor's Note: 24 Hour News 8 has done its best to transcribe the letter as accurately as possible. However, some portions of the handwritten note were difficult to discern. What follows is our best interpretation. **

== Read: The full handwritten letter from Sean Phillips to Ariel Courtland ( pdf) ==

Read the full transcribed letter here:

This is what you want, ok. I always felt that I needed to do this in person. That you deserved that, and that we would both need each other for that.

Also didn't feel safe writing these things anyways. Still dont, but this can't wait any longer.

I think I could even make it though talking about that day here now.

I cry trying to talk about much less. I just wanted to leave that day Ariel. I was surprised when you opened my door and that you could have even made it down there fast enough to catch me. That and almost everything I don't think I need to say or do you actually believe the shit you told them?

When I brought you back I didn't park, so that you would just get out and not pull any more shit to try to keep me there longer. Even when you sat there with the door open and foot out and I had to interrupt you three times with "I don't care" before you got out. You said something like "whatever fuck you" and "I'm gonna ruin your life" then walked around and spent a minute getting Kate out.

I was pretending to be busy why my phone or something so you would hopefully just leave me alone. Heard the door shut, saw you walk off. Your hands in front of you not on your sides. Like you were holding Kate. I drove away. A blonde lady by the office and I looked at each other as I passed.

There was some stuff I wanted to get done in town but I was tired and hung over and trying to decide whether to put it off till another time. Stopped at Wendy's to get something to eat and for time to make up my mind, but mostly to piss.

The phone kept ringing there. I went back to the car and ate. The whole time that fucking phone wouldn't stop ringing. I could feel through my shorts to hit the volume button to silence a call, but the seat was too far up for me to get it out of my pocket to make it stop ringing because the car seat was in the way. It was driving me crazy and I was so mad at you. For that day for everything lately, for everything ever maybe ever.

When I tried to move the seat back to get the phone it was blocked by that car seat and I was pissed that you left it in there just to try to make me bring it back later. So pissed that I got out and was going to just throw it out into that area between Burger King.

I pulled but it was jammed between the seats. That just made it worse. I grabbed it at the top and ripped it out as hard as I could. She was thrown from it. I didn't know. I'm so sorry.

Held her for a long time. Seemed like forever. Maybe an hour, maybe a minute. Might not have been long. I can't explain a lot. Some things can only be lived. In a way I couldn't understand it. It didn't seem real. I didn't want it to be. It felt like falling, and like my head would explode. Couldn't think. Couldn't do anything. It eventually sunk in or something. I started crying. Couldn't stop. I've never cried that hard, seemed like my throat was closing. Mind was racing, yet I couldn't think. I guess I was in shock. I never even tried to help her. Never even thought to. Just sat there, holding her. I don't think anything could have been done.

Still I used to hate myself for not trying. Think I was there an hour and that after like a half hour and that it wasn't till right before I left that I realized calling 911. It was to late. I wouldn't be able to talk. I wouldn't know what to say anyways. I couldn't bring myself to pick up that phone. Scared of it and of the world. In a way I felt like it had killed her. You and it. I needed to believe I didn't hurt her that it was all your fault.

That sounds wrong, but I can't explain it right. A part of me knew I was losing Haley too. When I realized how long I must have been there seemed like even less of an option. I never decided to leave or anything. There was this urge or something I can't explain. Needed to get away from there or just do something, anything.

I drove, not to anywhere or for any reason. Just drove. A few things I suddenly realized I was driving, but couldn't remember how I came to be or where I was. Almost crashed twice. The second time I stopped and pulled off the road. I needed out of that car, and I just walked off. After a while I stopped.

For the first time I could think some. Thought about Kate. Her smile, the way she looks around. Everything, what should have been. Id held her all this time, couldn't bring myself to really look at her though I did now. I wanted to kill you. I cried. I cried until I somehow

Go to link to read the other two pages. Sad WTH!!!!!! makes me so sick!!!!!!
angiefly2
angiefly2

Mood : Excited

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Thanks for the link & transcript, angie.

None of this makes any sense.

from transcript above:

There was some stuff I wanted to get done in town but I was tired and hung over and trying to decide whether to put it off till another time. Stopped at Wendy's to get something to eat and for time to make up my mind, but mostly to piss. He gets out of the car at Wendy's to eat and to piss. Doesn't see Kate in the car seat?

The phone kept ringing there. I went back to the car and ate.Approaching the car and opening the door, he still doesn't see Kate in the car seat? She is on the driver's side. The whole time that fucking phone wouldn't stop ringing. He is parked, and eating, right?I could feel through my shorts to hit the volume button to silence a call,He decides not to silence the call, even though he could feel the volume button? It must have been more fun to sit there and listen to the phone ringing, so he could get more pissed about it. but the seat was too far up for me to get it out of my pocket to make it stop ringing because the car seat was in the way.So he doesn't step out of the car to get the phone out of his pocket? He's still parked, eating, right? And his seat is up too far to reach the phone? Are his knees jammed up into the steering wheel? How does he drive like this? It was driving me crazy and I was so mad at you.Sounds like he's blaming Ariel that the baby car seat was lodged behind the driver's seat, causing him such discomfort and inconvenience. Boo-hoo, poor baby-him. (sarcasm) Did she magically move it there that day, or had he been driving around like that for a while? He never noticed that he was jammed into the steering wheel before. Don't most people put a baby seat behind the passenger seat, unless they have more than one car seat in the back seat? For that day for everything lately, for everything ever maybe ever.

When I tried to move the seat back to get the phone it was blocked by that car seatAgain, his seat is just soooooo far forward, how does he drive? and I was pissed that you left it in there just to try to make me bring it back later. So pissed that I got outFinally, he gets out, but still doesn't see Kate in the car seat? and was going to just throw it out into that area between Burger King.

I pulledAgain, he doesn't see Kate? but it was jammed between the seats. That just made it worse. I grabbed it at the topStill doesn't see Kate? and ripped it out as hard as I could.Tearing through a seat belt securing the baby car seat? Whaaaaaaat? If properly secured, a car seat will not tear through the seat belt even during a car accident. But he wants us to believe he was sooooooo mad, he tore through a seat belt? Or..... that the baby seat wasn't properly secured in the car? Is he saying Ariel did this? She was thrown from it.So now he finally sees her, as she is thrown from it? Meaning she isn't secured in the car seat? For this whole time, she wasn't secured in the baby car seat? And he never, not once, noticed her? Until she was thrown from the car seat, and what? slammed into Wendy's parking lot? (Sorry for the graphic image.) And nobody saw or heard this? BS! I didn't know. I'm so sorry.

Held her for a long time.In Wendy's parking lot? Seemed like forever. Maybe an hour, maybe a minute. Might not have been long. I can't explain a lot. Some things can only be lived. In a way I couldn't understand it. It didn't seem real. I didn't want it to be. It felt like falling, and like my head would explode. Couldn't think. Couldn't do anything. It eventually sunk in or something. I started crying. Couldn't stop. I've never cried that hard,Still in Wendy's parking lot, crying so hard, like he never did before, and nobody sees or hears a thing? seemed like my throat was closing. Mind was racing, yet I couldn't think. I guess I was in shock. I never even tried to help her.Loser! Never even thought to.Loser! Just sat there,Idiot! holding her. I don't think anything could have been done.You think? Idiot!

Still I used to hate myself for not trying. Think I was there an hourStill at Wendy's and nobody sees anything. Slow day at Wendy's? and that after like a half hour and that it wasn't till right before I leftAn hour later, he leaves Wendy's parking lot, and again, I sound like a broken record....nobody saw or heard a thing? that I realized calling 911.which he didn't even do.

red is my comments. Makes 0 sense! All a bunch of lies!

BS

Oh! And she wants to marry him after reading this???????????????????????????  Katherine Phillips -- Missing 6/29/2011  - Page 2 858297

Could it be she is going to marry him, because of this excerpt from the above letter, on page 3 at the link? But even so, that doesn't make any sense on her part.

"Things spouses tell each other is confidence cant be made to testify. But we aren't married yet in the eyes of the government. Then hearsay cant be used, so if you told then it would be hearsay as it didnt come from me. But Grand Jury can sometimes allow hearsay. Could you ask your attorney about that stuff? If you want to ask me things try to do it all at once. So we arent hearing incriminating stuff more than we need to.

Out of time for mail. Destroy theses."

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/target_8/Sean-Phillips-letter-about-Baby-Kate

Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:32 pm

Mason County prosecutor: Baby Kate dad's letter likely genuine; homicide probe continues

Published: Wednesday, September 12, 2012, 3:29 PM Updated: Wednesday, September 12, 2012, 3:44 PM

By John S. Hausman | jhausman@mlive.com

snipped:

Near the end of the letter, the writer said "Things spouses tell each other in confidence can't be made to testify. But we aren't married yet in the eyes of the government."

On Monday, Courtland applied in Ionia County for a marriage license that will be issued Thursday. The couple will have 30 days from Thursday to marry.

Under Michigan law, an important exception to the spousal privilege means it can't be used in criminal cases where a child has been harmed.

Read more:
http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2012/09/mason_county_prosecutor_baby_k.html

bbm

Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by angiefly2 Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:49 pm

I call BS too Julie. I have no doubt he killed that sweet baby, but IMO her death wasn't the way he described it... and the egg donor well, she's a freaking (insert word of choice) apparently. Marrying someone who murdered my child would be the furthest thing from MY mind. I really don't see how he could think that his "explanations" for what happened to baby Kate could seem plausible to ANY rational human being. What a sicko!
angiefly2
angiefly2

Mood : Excited

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:22 pm

angiefly2 wrote:I call BS too Julie. I have no doubt he killed that sweet baby, but IMO her death wasn't the way he described it... and the egg donor well, she's a freaking (insert word of choice) apparently. Marrying someone who murdered my child would be the furthest thing from MY mind. I really don't see how he could think that his "explanations" for what happened to baby Kate could seem plausible to ANY rational human being. What a sicko!

I agree. His version is not what happened. But I do think if there is any shred of truth in his version, just so he could CYA if her body was found, is that she suffered some kind of head trauma. Whatever he did to her was, in his mind, equivalent to being thrown from a car seat that someone so very enraged was yanking on. Sad. Sad

The mom.....I don't know WHAT she is thinking. (insert word of choice)......exactly!
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:36 pm

I didn't know this part. This is from April, and I'm not sure if it was posted in here yet. I skimmed through the posts and didn't see it, but maybe I overlooked it.

snipped:

They had already handcuffed Phillips and placed him in custody immediately after Hartley found the baby clothes in his pocket.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2012/04/ludington_police_officers_deta.html

When police asked whether Phillips was telling the whole truth, officers said he answered, “You’re right. I’m not telling you the whole truth.”

According to court documents, that’s when officers noticed something was in Phillips’ cargo shorts pocket and did a pat down, finding baby clothes wadded up in a ball.

When one of the officers asked Phillips what it was, he answered, “Her clothes.” Officers immediately put Phillips in handcuffs.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/04/21/guard-testifies-note-found-in-missing-baby-case/

Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Baby Kate grandma: Letter seems legit

April Lange said it clears her daughter

Updated: Thursday, 13 Sep 2012, 8:29 AM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 12 Sep 2012, 3:18 PM EDT

By Marc Thompson

LUDINGTON, Mich. (WOOD) - April Lange admits she has a strained relationship with her daughter, Ariel Courtland. But she said the letter Sean Phillips wrote to Courtland from prison proves Ariel had nothing to do with the disappearance of their 4-month-old daughter.

Read more:

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/target_8/marc-baby-kate-grandma
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:30 am

Wedding wouldn’t keep Baby Kate’s mother from testifying

Kevin Braciszeski - Daily News Staff Writer

Friday, September 14, 2012

Community members who may be concerned that Ariel Courtland might not have to testify against Sean Phillips in a possible murder trial if they marry don’t need to worry, an area prosecutor says.

Sean is currently serving 10 to 15 years in prison for unlawful imprisonment in connection with the June 2011 disappearance of baby Katherine “Kate” Phillips. Ariel is Kate’s mother and Sean is Kate’s father.

Police announced in June that they are now investigating Kate’s disappearance as a homicide and there may be murder charges against him in the future if Mason County Prosecuting Attorney Paul Spaniola determines there is enough evidence.

Read more:

http://www.ludingtondailynews.com/news/67079-wedding-wouldnt-keep-baby-kates-mother-from-testifying
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:59 pm

Missing baby's mom to marry prime suspect?

By Katy Rogers
updated 8:21 AM EDT, Fri September 14, 2012

•Sean Phillips is serving time in prison for unlawful imprisonment of baby Kate
•Baby's mom wants to marry Phillips, even though he's the main suspect in her disappearance

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/09/13/missing-babys-mom-marry-prime-suspect
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Katherine Phillips -- Missing 6/29/2011  - Page 2 Ariel-courtland-042712_20120427100743_640_480
Ariel Courtland, Baby Kate's mother, sits in the courtroom while a jury deliberates Sean Phillips' fate (April 27, 2012)

Baby Kate's mom: Marriage won't happen

Ariel Courtland: "It wasn't the right thing to do"

Updated: Friday, 14 Sep 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 14 Sep 2012, 12:35 PM EDT

By Leon Hendrix

LUDINGTON, Mich. (WOOD) - After plans to marry the man suspected of killing her daughter went public, Ariel Courtland says she has decided to cancel the marriage.

Courtland would not discuss publicly specifics about the sudden change but says she decided it "wasn't the right thing to do."

Monday, Courtland took out a marriage license from the Ionia County clerks office and said she planned to make the marriage official at the prison where Kate's father Sean Phillips was incarcerated.

Courtland contended that she made the move to force prison officials to allow her a private visit with Phillips so she could get more information about what happened to Baby Kate. She says she has been denied the opportunity to see Phillips because she is a victim in his criminal case.

Read more:

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/nw_mich/baby-kates-mom-ariel-courtland-marriage-wont-happen
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:37 am

Baby Kate's dad appealing conviction

Claims errors during trial, sentencing

Updated: Friday, 15 Mar 2013, 6:53 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 15 Mar 2013, 11:40 AM EDT
By Leon Hendrix

LUDINGTON, Mich. (WOOD) - The father of missing baby Katherine Phillips is appealing the conviction and sentence that sent him to prison for at least 10 years.

In a brief filed with the Michigan Court of Appeals, through his attorney Valerie Newman, Phillips claims that the trial court in Ludington erred during the judge's instructions to the jury, unfairly departed from sentencing guidelines, and that prosecutors failed to prove part of their case against him.

Read more:
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/nw_mich/baby-kate-dad-appealing-conviction
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Baby Kate prosecutor: Sean Phillips trial was handled fairly despite appeal

By John S. Hausman | The Muskegon Chronicle
on March 16, 2013 at 6:40 AM

LUDINGTON, MI – Mason County Prosecutor Paul Spaniola is confident the Baby Kate unlawful imprisonment case against Sean Michael Phillips was handled properly.

“I worked very diligently to ensure that Mr. Phillips received a fair trial and a just result,” Spaniola said Friday, March 15, in response to news accounts of a brief filed by attorneys appealing Phillips’ conviction and sentencing.

Spaniola said Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette’s office handles all criminal appeals for the Mason County Prosecutor’s Office. The attorney general’s office will address the specific issues raised in the appeal when the office files its reply brief, Spaniola said.

Read more:

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2013/03/baby_kate_prosecutor_sean_phil.html
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Fri May 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Could it be Baby Kate?

Bones Found In Riverton Township

46 mins ago
by Gary Chenoweth
Senior Web Producer

snipped:

Cole said investigators did not know whether the bones were human or animal, adult or children’s bones.

Officials have been organizing a search in June for the remains of Katherine “Baby Kate” Phillips, the 4-month-old who was taken by her biological father, Sean Phillips in June 2011.

Read more:
http://fox17online.com/2013/05/17/bones-found-in-riverton-township/#axzz2Tag0PAiD
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Fri May 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Report: Police investigating bones found in Mason County's Riverton Township

snipped:

The Daily News reported that Sheriff Kim Cole said they had not positively identified the bones as human or animal, but police are investigating it as a suspicious situation.

Read more: (includes map)
http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2013/05/police_investigating_bones_fou.html
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:54 am

Police say Human Bones Found are Not Baby Kate

05/21/13
by Ann Marie LaFlamme
Reporter

MASON COUNTY, Mich.- Friday, human bones were found in Mason County not far from where Baby Kate went missing. Police have determined they were bones of an adult and in fact, not that of Baby Kate.

Upon the discovery of the bones, Mason County Sheriff Kim Cole said, “We have a baby that went missing two years ago and that’s certainly in the back of your mind.”

Kate’s mother, Ariel Courtland, says the discovery had her freaking out. Sheriff Cole says, “There’s a lot of people, Baby Kate’s family, as well, that deserve closure for this matter. But this just, this isn’t Baby Kate.”

Read more:
http://fox17online.com/2013/05/21/police-say-human-bones-found-are-not-baby-kate/#axzz2WAAOWLt0
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Baby Kate Search Narrows

Date: September 10, 2013

snipped:

After volunteer assistance this summer, the search area has now been confined to less than one square mile. Volunteers searched for a rare mix of plants that had been found in the soil caked into the bottom of Sean Phillips’ shoes.

The lead detective in the case hopes plant evidence will continue to narrow the search area for police. Samples were again sent to a laboratory at Michigan State University as late as last week. This time the focus is on a rare algae.

Read more:
http://ipr.interlochen.org/ipr-news-features/episode/baby-kate-search-narrows/2013-09-10
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:35 pm

I am glad to hear this.   Katherine Phillips -- Missing 6/29/2011  - Page 2 Yesssmileyf  

Wood 8 | Sean Phillips to be charged with murder in "Baby Kate" case

Updated: Friday, October 4, 2013, 12:01 PM EDT | Published: Thursday, October 3, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT

LUDINGTON, Mich. (WOOD) - Murder charges have been levied against a man from Ludington whose baby hasn't been seen in more than two years.

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette and Mason County Prosecutor Paul Spaniola will announce the charges during a news conference at 12:30 p.m. Friday, which can been seen live on WOODTV.com.

The attorney general's office will handle prosecuting the case.

http://www.woodtv.com/news/michigan/major-announcement-in-baby-kate-case
Nan11
Nan11

Mood : Whistling

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:34 am

Daily Mail | Father, 23, charged with MURDER of 'Baby Kate' two years after his infant daughter disappeared

Katherine Phillips -- Missing 6/29/2011  - Page 2 Article-0-14FA955B000005DC-594_634x355

By Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED:20:45 GMT, 4 October 2013| UPDATED: 10:32 GMT, 5 October 2013

A Michigan father has been charged with killing his infant daughter, who disappeared more than two years ago.

The filing of an open murder count against Sean Phillips ‘moves us one step closer to securing justice for Baby Kate,’ state Attorney General Bill Schuette said when announcing the charge Friday.

Phillips, 23, was convicted last year of unlawful imprisonment in the disappearance of Katherine Phillips.

{Snipped}

Schuette said at a news conference that ‘new evidence has been discovered which supports a murder charge in this case,’ but provided no details, the Ludington Daily News reported.

{Snipped}

The open murder charge means a jury can consider both first- and second-degree murder.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2444653/Missing-Michigan-Baby-Kate-father-Sean-Phillips-charged-MURDER.html
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:55 pm

Baby Kate murder hearing for Sean Phillips postponed to 2014

Katherine Phillips -- Missing 6/29/2011  - Page 2 -e2f36f0f9863b341

Sean Phillips sits during his arraignment on an open murder charge in the Katherine "Baby Kate" Phillips case Oct. 4, 2013. Katherine "Baby Kate" Phillips went missing June 29, 2011. Natalie Kolb | nkolb@mlive.com

By John S. Hausman | jhausman@mlive.com
on October 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM, updated October 15, 2013 at 1:17 PM

LUDINGTON, MI – Sean Michael Phillips’ preliminary examination on a charge of murdering his infant daughter, Katherine Phillips, has been adjourned for three months.

The rescheduling to 9 a.m. Jan. 9 and 10, 2014, was to give Phillips’ attorney time to prepare for the hearing in Mason County District Court, according to court officials. Defense attorney David M. Glancy could not immediately be reached for comment Tuesday, Oct. 15.

~Snipped~

Phillips is already lodged at Carson City Correctional Facility, serving a sentence of 10 to 15 years in state prison for unlawful imprisonment of his daughter. A jury convicted him of that in April 2012. He has appealed both the conviction and Mason County Circuit Judge Richard I. Cooper’s sentence, which was far above state sentencing guidelines.

Phillips, 23, is now charged with open murder, which could lead to a conviction of either first-degree or second-degree murder. First-degree murder carries a mandatory sentence of life without possibility of parole. Second-degree murder carries a sentence of any term up to life in prison, with parole possible.

Read more:

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2013/10/baby_kate_murder_hearing_for_s.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+michigan-news+(Michigan+News%2C+Updates%2C+Photos%2C+Videos+and+Opinions+-+MLive.com)
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:26 pm

'Baby Kate' judge appoints self to murder trial after dismissing case; prosecutors appeal

Katherine Phillips -- Missing 6/29/2011  - Page 2 -ecb0cb9a5a1bca5f
Sean Phillips is pictured during his preliminary examination in Mason County's 79th District Court in Ludington before Judge Peter J. Wadel on July 31, 2014. Phillips is charged with open murder of his daughter, Katherine 'Baby Kate' Phillips and is accused by authorities of killing his 4-month old daughter on June 29, 2011. Phillips was convicted on April 27, 2012 of unlawful imprisonment of his daughter. The baby has not been found.
1/12

By  John S. Hausman | jhausman@mlive.com  
on March 05, 2015 at 6:19 PM

LUDINGTON, MI - The Michigan Attorney General's office and the Mason County prosecutor have appealed a recent decision by Mason County 79th District Judge Peter Wadel - also the chief judge of all of Mason County courts - appointing himself trial judge in the "Baby Kate" murder case against Sean Phillips.

Assistant Attorney General Donna Pendergast and Prosecutor Paul Spaniola filed a motion Thursday, March 5, in Mason County 51st Circuit Court to disqualify Wadel because last year, acting as a district judge, Wadel heard the Phillips murder case in a preliminary examination and dismissed the case.

Circuit Judge Richard I. Cooper (since retired) in December overturned Wadel's decision and ordered that the murder case go to trial.

Then Wadel, acting as chief judge of Mason County's 51st Circuit Court, on Feb. 20 appointed himself the trial judge, according to a brief filed by Pendergast and Spaniola.

The prosecutors argue that Wadel acting as trial judge would create an "appearance of impropriety" because Wadel - acting outside his role as a circuit judge -- has already ruled on the same issues that would arise in the trial. The judge's impartiality could be questioned, the prosecutors argue

Read more:

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2015/03/baby_kate_judge_appoints_self.html
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Michigan Appeals Court evaluates Baby Kate case

Updated: Wed, Oct 14 2015, 01:36 PM

LANSING, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - The Michigan Court of Appeals heard arguments over a decision to reinstate a murder case against Sean Phillips' in the disappearance Katherine Phillips, his daughter, better known as Baby Kate.

According to Mlive, the three-judge panel heard arguments Tuesday, Oct. 13, but it is unknown when a decision will be announced.

In December 2014, a Mason County judge ruled to allow the prosecution to file an open murder charge against Phillips.

This ruling overturned a decision four months earlier by another Mason County judge to dismiss the case because there was no proof Baby Kate had been killed.

The four-and-a-half-month-old baby disappeared in 2011.

She has never been found.

http://www.wwmt.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Michigan-Appeals-Court-evaluates-Baby-Kate-case-218835.shtml#.Vh7yZstdGP8
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:14 am

linden wrote: Katherine Phillips -- Missing 6/29/2011  - Page 2 13106-smiling-baby-7c15d

Photos of Baby Kate, the suspect, her mother and more can be seen at: http://interactives.woodtv.com/photomojo/gallery/609/1/amber-alert-katherine-phillips/katherine-phillips/

She appears to have been cutting teeth...
Sweet little one gone way too soon...
Blessed little one. May God hold you and comfort you.  Katherine Phillips -- Missing 6/29/2011  - Page 2 2108
Freckles
Freckles

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:22 am

To come up to speed on this case, this is an index of articles in time-line:

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/tag/katherine-phillips/
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:36 am

The letter Sean Phillips wrote in which he tells of killing his daughter.
Pages 2 and 4 were of interest to me.
Page 2 he tells of the turmoil he felt after killing his crying daughter;
page 4 he tells of wanting to hold her longer, of his own need to be held and comforted.
IMO, it is genuine pain and loneliness he is expressing to a person he really loved and felt loved by... Kate's mother.

The letter:
https://cbsdetroit.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/sean-phillips-letter-woodtv.pdf
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:20 pm

Court of Appeals hears Baby Kate murder charge dispute

Posted 2:03 PM, October 15, 2015, by Bob Brenzing, Updated at 02:04pm, October 15, 2015

LANSING, Mich. – The Michigan Court of Appeals has been listening to arguments this week from Sean Phillips, accused of killing his daughter, Baby Kate.

Katherine Phillips was four months old when she disappeared in Mason County in June of 2011.  Her body was never found, but Sean Phillips is serving a 10- to 15-year sentence for unlawful imprisonment in connection with the child’s disappearance.  He is now facing charges in her murder.

Phillips appeal was based on the fact the Baby Kate’s body has not been found, so there shouldn’t be a murder charge.

Read more:

http://fox17online.com/2015/10/15/court-of-appeals-hears-baby-kate-murder-charge-dispute/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:07 pm

Baby Kate murder case against dad can go to trial, appeals court rules

By  John S. Hausman | jhausman@mlive.com  
on October 23, 2015 at 10:35 AM, updated October 23, 2015 at 11:00 AM

LUDINGTON, MI – The Michigan Court of Appeals has upheld the "Baby Kate" murder case against Sean Michael Phillips, ruling that the case can proceed to trial.

In an opinion dated Thursday, Oct. 22, a three-judge panel ruled unanimously that a Mason County circuit judge properly reinstated the murder case after Mason County District Judge Peter Wadel had dismissed it at the preliminary examination stage.

Meanwhile, in a separate proceeding, the Michigan Attorney General's office has appealed a circuit judge's ruling that Wadel -- the judge who once ruled the case too weak to go to trial -- can preside over the trial.

Read more:

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2015/10/baby_kate_murder_case_against.html
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:17 pm

Prosecution mulls murder charge in Baby Kate case

WZZM 13 Staff, WZZM 13 6:39 p.m. EST November 23, 2015

LUDINGTON, Mich. (WZZM) -- Prosecutors are still considering whether a man convicted in connection to his infant daughter's June 2011 disappearance will be charged with murder.

Last month, the Michigan Court of Appeals ruled Sean Phillips could be charged with open murder in connection with the disappearance of Katherine Phillips, who's also known as Baby Kate.

Instead of acting on that ruling at this point, the Mason County prosecutor and state Attorney General's officer are waiting on another important decision in the case. The appeals court is being asked also to rule if Mason County judge Peter Wadel will be allowed to be the trial judge on the case. In district court, Wadel previously refused to bind Phillips over to trial on an open murder charge.

Read more:

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/2015/11/23/prosecution-mulls-murder-charge-in-baby-kate-case/76284624/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:31 pm

Snipped quote:  The Michigan Supreme Court has upheld a murder case against Sean Phillips, who is accused of killing his baby daughter Katherine.

In an order signed Tuesday, the court denied Phillips’ appeal to dismiss the murder case against him — affirming rulings by both the state appeals court and a Mason County circuit judge. The case will now go back to Mason County for trial.

Phillips is already serving prison time after being convicted of unlawful imprisonment in 2011 disappearance of the 4-month-old, better known as Baby Kate.
 End Snip

Katherine Phillips -- Missing 6/29/2011  - Page 2 2yybg9g

http://woodtv.com/2016/03/09/mi-supreme-court-sean-phillips-can-stand-trial-for-murder/
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2