Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder

+11
Trueblue
carlakay
Alessandra_Deux
Summertime
ishi
One Wonders
Ann - Tx
Justice4all
Estee
Piper
sitemama
15 posters

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder - Page 7 Empty Re: Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder

Post by Nan11 Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:36 pm

The following 'lyrics' were read allowed today by Raleigh police detective Jerry Faulk.  They were found in the bedroom/study area of Grant and Amanda's apartment in Raleigh.  No date was given for when this was written.  (This is not the same song as 'Broomstick Rider' that the State ended with.)

I transcribed it, but I'll add the link if you want to check.  If I have any words wrong, I apologize.

@ about 28:40 - http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12881218/

Man Killer

Give into me, I want it all
I want your scream, and I want your crawl
I’ll make you bleed, fall to the floor
Don’t try to plead, that turns me on
I’ll take the keys to your car, and some more

As the dogs come, try to walk them over
Start your line, there, right around her shoulder
As her mom and dad come, walk them away
Tell them she died fast, they’ll know she wasn’t in pain

I’m not the one to make you scream
I’m just the one to make you bleed
Don’t raise your arms, you can’t stop me
I’ll put my hands on your throat and squeeze

Course:
Hallelujah
Nan11
Nan11

Mood : Whistling

Back to top Go down

Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder - Page 7 Empty Re: Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder

Post by Nan11 Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:38 pm

CuriousPortlander wrote:Those are incredibly disturbing lyrics!
I agree, CP. I'm not sure which one I find most disturbing, but both of them are.
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:41 pm

Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder - Page 7 2zp5vte

Above is the picture of the kids that I noticed propped up in front of Grant today.
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:46 pm

News Observer | Prosecutors wrap up their case in Grant Hayes murder trial

By Anne Blythe — ablythe@newsobserver.com | Published: September 12, 2013

RALEIGH — Grant Hayes, the musician from Wake County accused of murdering the mother of two of his children, now knows the extent of the prosecution’s case against him.

On Thursday, two weeks after making their opening statement, Wake County prosecutors wrapped up their side of the case after calling 47 witnesses and introducing more than 500 pieces of evidence.

{Snipped}

Prosecutors began questioning Berry shortly before the trial broke for the night.

It was unclear Thursday how many witnesses the defense team plans to call. Court officials have estimated the trial could last from two to three weeks.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/09/12/3189597/prosecutors-wrap-up-their-case.html
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Prosecution rests in Grant Hayes trial (Video)

Posted: Sep 12, 2013 2:52 PM CDT
Updated: Sep 12, 2013 5:48 PM CDT

By Jonathan Carlson

RALEIGH, N.C - The state rested its case against Grant Hayes on Thursday in dramatic fashion, showing a Wake County jury video of Hayes browsing and buying a saw blade and trash bags at a Raleigh Walmart around the time Laura Jean Ackerson was murdered.

A Walmart manager who helped Hayes browse the saw section testified Thursday.

"He was wanting to know what the longest saw blade there was, that would fit a jig saw," she said.

The state also played a rap song written and recorded by Hayes, titled, "Broomstick Rider", which prosecutors say was about killing Ackerson.

Some of the lyrics were:
•"I'm paying the bills. Find another sugar daddy..."
•"I got two kids by you. ... I can't take anymore from you."
•"I warned you, well, don't say I didn't warn you."

Hayes swayed to the music while the song was played in court.

Read more:

http://www.wncn.com/story/23417553/prosecution-rests-case-about-grant-hayes
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:28 pm

Hayes jams in court to song about killing his 'babies' momma'

Posted: 3:38 p.m. today
Updated: 6:58 p.m. today

Raleigh, N.C. — Grant Hayes sat rocking to the beat of his own music Thursday afternoon as jurors in his first-degree murder trial for the death of his ex-girlfriend heard a recording of him singing to his "babies' momma," in which he talked of killing her.

~Snipped~

The state – after calling 47 witnesses and introducing more than 500 pieces of evidence over the last two weeks – then rested its case.

~Snipped~

Testifying as the first witness for the defense, Berry said that a day after the Hayeses arrived at her home in Richmond, Texas, Amanda Hayes took her aside for a conversation.

"She came in, and she told me that she had hurt Laura and that she had hurt her bad, and she needed to talk to me," Berry said.

They went outside, Berry said, where Grant Hayes joined the discussion in which they asked if there was anywhere on her property that had a big hole.

"Sometime during that time, I had told them that it was my belief that if something was really, really bad, it would be best to tell the truth and that I knew an attorney we could go talk to if they needed an attorney," Berry said.

~Snipped~

Berry said, though, that several days after her sister and brother-in-law left, she wasn't surprised when Raleigh police detectives came knocking on her door and asked her if she thought Ackerson was there.

"I told them I was afraid she was," Berry said

~Snipped~

"I had her sit down beside me just like I did when she was a kid," Berry said. "I asked her if she was covering for Grant. She didn't say anything verbally. She looked me straight in the eye. She shook her head and went (nods head up and down)."

Read more:

http://www.wral.com/hayes-jams-in-trial-while-song-blares-lyrics-about-killing-babies-momma-/12880556/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:54 pm

@Nan11

Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder - Page 7 Thank%20you%20animated%20gif
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Alessandra_Deux wrote:Hayes jams in court to song about killing his 'babies' momma'

Raleigh, N.C. — Grant Hayes sat rocking to the beat of his own music Thursday afternoon as jurors in his first-degree murder trial for the death of his ex-girlfriend heard a recording of him singing to his "babies' momma," in which he talked of killing her.

~Snipped~

The state – after calling 47 witnesses and introducing more than 500 pieces of evidence over the last two weeks – then rested its case.

~Snipped~

Testifying as the first witness for the defense, Berry said that a day after the Hayeses arrived at her home in Richmond, Texas, Amanda Hayes took her aside for a conversation.

"She came in, and she told me that she had hurt Laura and that she had hurt her bad, and she needed to talk to me," Berry said.

They went outside, Berry said, where Grant Hayes joined the discussion in which they asked if there was anywhere on her property that had a big hole.

"Sometime during that time, I had told them that it was my belief that if something was really, really bad, it would be best to tell the truth and that I knew an attorney we could go talk to if they needed an attorney," Berry said.

~Snipped~

Berry said, though, that several days after her sister and brother-in-law left, she wasn't surprised when Raleigh police detectives came knocking on her door and asked her if she thought Ackerson was there.

~Snipped~

"I had her sit down beside me just like I did when she was a kid," Berry said. "I asked her if she was covering for Grant. She didn't say anything verbally. She looked me straight in the eye. She shook her head and went (nods head up and down)."

Read more:

http://www.wral.com/hayes-jams-in-trial-while-song-blares-lyrics-about-killing-babies-momma-/12880556/
(Highlighted in Red)

That is so sick I can't even wrap my head around it!  This psychopath has ice water running through his veins.  Just disgusting!
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:47 am

From AD:

"...Berry said, though, that several days after her sister and brother-in-law left, she wasn't surprised when Raleigh police detectives came knocking on her door and asked her if she thought Ackerson was there.

"I told them I was afraid she was," Berry said ...."

Berry believed Laura was there BUT she had not physically seen her or interacted? If that were the case, then it is apparent Laura was NOT alive...
Freckles
Freckles

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:01 am

CuriousPortlander wrote:
Alessandra_Deux wrote:Hayes jams in court to song about killing his 'babies' momma'

~Snipped~

~Snipped~

~Snipped~

~Snipped~

Read more:

(Highlighted in Red)

That is so sick I can't even wrap my head around it!  This psychopath has ice water running through his veins.  Just disgusting!
CP, he cannot even pretend that he feels bad about his actions because he is incapable of experiencing emotions such as sympathy, empathy, guilt or remorse. In my opinion, he exhibits behavior traits that are characteristics of a sociopath (or a psychopath). He is egocentric, callous, manipulative and calculative, and, he doesn't care about anyone but himself. He has a personality disorder, he lacks a conscience, but he knows the difference between right and wrong, killing Laura and dismembering her body was done out of sheer evil.
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:45 am

Freckles wrote:From AD:

"...Berry said, though, that several days after her sister and brother-in-law left, she wasn't surprised when Raleigh police detectives came knocking on her door and asked her if she thought Ackerson was there.

Berry believed Laura was there BUT she had not physically seen her or interacted?  If that were the case, then it is apparent Laura was NOT alive...
Thanks for this, Freckles.  I misunderstood this in Chat today.  I thought they asked Karen if she thought Amanda was involved in Laura's disappearance, which is why I thought she answered I was afraid she was.  Now I realize the question was about Laura, not Amanda.  Sorry for the confusion in Chat!  That's what I get for jumping between two trials comtemporaneously (Ishi - drunken   ha!)
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:55 am

Alessandra_Deux wrote:
CuriousPortlander wrote:(Highlighted in Red)

CP, he cannot even pretend that he feels bad about his actions because he is incapable of experiencing emotions such as sympathy, empathy, guilt or remorse. In my opinion, he exhibits behavior traits that are characteristics of a sociopath (or a psychopath). He is egocentric, callous, manipulative and calculative, and, he doesn't care about anyone but himself. He has a personality disorder, he lacks a conscience, but he knows the difference between right and wrong, killing Laura and dismembering her body was done out of sheer evil.
I totally agree with every word of this, Alessandra!  I used to think psychopaths were few and far between, but I find it truly frightening just how many of them are out there and doing this kind of thing.  It makes me wonder what causes these people's brains to be wired so differently than "normal" people.  Could it be environmental?  Hereditary? Chemically caused from unhealthy products (BPA, prescription drugs, illegal drugs)? I hope someone someday figures it out to see if it's possible to prevent this mis-wiring in the future. There seem to be so many more of them than in the past, but maybe we're just hearing about more of them due to virtually instant access to infomation online.  Truly scary!

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:16 am

CP--
From research I have done, 1/20 suffer from some sort of mental illness. Makes it scary, huh? Now you understand road rage, shoppers at Christmas or sales' events, etc.. For some forms of mental illness, hereditary MAY play a part. The brains just aren't wired the same...Diet? Some accused sugar as being a culprit but we see the numbers increased with artificial sweeteners.. Most function in society as just being the clown at the family reunion, the pest next door type of thing. Some run for political office or star in the latest Hollywood movie...and they probably are just megalomaniacs or narcissists. Power hungry or attention seeking. Some are given to histrionics. Most are just the eccentrics the rest of us are not comfortable around.

Most of these individuals do NOT get violent or murderous.
IR they did, there would be a much smaller population!

Walk softly and carry... a big gun! (GZ is waiting around the corner...)
affraid 
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:23 am

CuriousPortlander wrote:
Freckles wrote:From AD:

Berry believed Laura was there BUT she had not physically seen her or interacted?  If that were the case, then it is apparent Laura was NOT alive...
Thanks for this, Freckles.  I misunderstood this in Chat today.  I thought they asked Karen if she thought Amanda was involved in Laura's disappearance, which is why I thought she answered I was afraid she was.  Now I realize the question was about Laura, not Amanda.  Sorry for the confusion in Chat!  That's what I get for jumping between two trials comtemporaneously (Ishi - drunken   ha!)
You are partially correct.
Berry asked her sister IF she was covering for Grant...
she did NOT ask her IF she had killed Laura...
and Amanda nodded her head YES in affirmation.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:03 am

Below are snippets of  transcripts of Karen's testimony from yesterday.  I have place the link below.  These are quick transcripts, so please feel free to check.

I added one last snippet from Karen, so we will have them all together--it has a separate link. (Sorry for the length.)

@ about 18:45 of link below.
Defense Attorney:  Did there come a time when Amanda asked to speak with you alone?
Karen:  Yes, sir.
Defense Attorney:  Could you tell the jury about that?
Karen:  She came in and she told me . . .
State Prosecutor:  Objection, hearsay.
Judge:  Overruled.  Go ahead.  You may answer, please.  Thank you.
Karen:  She came in and she told me that she had hurt Laura, and that she had hurt her bad.  And she needed to talk to me.

@ about 44:00
Defense Attorney:  During that discussion, do you remember if they asked you:  “Is Laura here?”
Karen:  I think they did.  I think they did.  I vaguely remember, but I think they did.
Defense Attorney:  And do you remember responding to that question.
Karen: I told them I was afraid she was.

@ about 54:40 of link below.
Defense Attorney:  Now, Miss Berry, do you remember at some point that you talked to the detectives about—at some point you pulled Amanda aside and asked her a question?
Defense Attorney:  And do you remember when that was?
Defense Attorney:  And what did you ask Amanda, if you remember?
Karen:  I had her sit down beside me, just like I did when she was a kid.  And I looked her in the eye and I told her—I said—I’m going to ask you one time, one time only; and I won’t ever say anything to you again but I want the truth out of you now.  And I looked her straight in the eye, and I asked her if she was covering for Grant.
Defense Attorney:  Did she answer you?
Karen:  Yes, sir.  She did.
Defense Attorney:  Did she say something verbally?  Or did she . . .
Karen:  No, sir. She didn’t say anything verbally.
Defense Attorney:  How did she answer?
Karen:  She looked me straight in the eye.  She shook her head and went . . .  [Witness nods head up and down in the affirmative.]
Defense Attorney:  Now, this was as they were just about to leave?
Karen:  Just before they were leaving.
Judge:  This isn’t on the record—that the witness nodded her head up and down.  Okay.  Go ahead.
Defense Attorney:  Now, you sat her down like you did—I think you said—like when she was a child.
Defense Attorney:  That you were not going to ask her any other questions, but you needed an answer to that question.  Is that right?
Defense Attorney:  And she nodded.
Karen:  Yes, sir.  She nodded yes.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12881237/#/vid12881237

@ about 00.47 minute mark:
Prosecutor:  Good morning, Miss Berry.
Karen:  Good morning.
Prosecutor:  Yesterday, when we left off, I asked you if you remembered if you told detectives that you—you told detectives:  “I still don’t remember if Amanda told me that she hurt Laura real bad or if she told me that Laura was dead.”  Do you remember that?
Prosecutor:  And back then, you were being interviewed a week after Grant and Amanda had showed up, correct?
Karen:  It was . . .  Yes.  [cross talking]  Some time.  Yes.
Prosecutor:  Okay.  And your memory back then was a lot clearer than it is now—two years later, right?
Karen:  Yes.  Very much so.
Prosecutor:  And back then you told detectives that you couldn’t remember if Amanda told you that she had hurt Laura real bad; or if she had told you that Laura was dead.
Karen:  Yes.
Prosecutor:  And in those interviews, you repeatedly say in response to questions from the detective:  “I don’t know;”  “I can’t remember;”  “I’m not sure:”—don’t you?

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12883144/#/vid12883144

Last edited by Nan11 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:54 am

Following are the live stream links for the trial today, day 11.  

WRAL
http://www.wral.com/news/video/12826677/#/vid12826677

ABC
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/livenow?id=9223333

WildAboutTrial
http://wildabouttrial.com/grant-hayes-live-stream.html

And:

A few of us may be in Chat!  Hope you join us!  Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder - Page 7 Party0011
http://www.realitychatter.com/h10-chat

**If you are following the Bashara case, please still join us!  We are following them both!

Link for Bob's case:
http://www.freep.com/livestream/article/20130909/NEWS05/130908009/bob-bashara-jane-bashara-murder-trial
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:47 pm

Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder - Page 7 28iord1

Address of property where Laura's remains were found:  4336 Skinner Ln, Richmond, TX 77406, USA.  The co-ordinates in the picture above match this address perfectly.

Defense Attorney:  Could you please state your name for the court.
Karen:  Karen Berry.
Defense Attorney:  Good afternoon, Miss Berry.  My name is Jeff Cutler. Miss Berry, where do you live?
Karen:  In Katy, Texas.
Defense Attorney:  And, who do you live there with?
Karen:  Myself.

@ beginning:  http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12881237/#/vid12881237
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:48 pm

The closing arguments are set to begin this afternoon at 1:00 pm, Eastern!
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Nan---
Do you think she moved?
Could the town have been re-zoned?
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:55 pm

Mr. Wolfe covered the trial today.  We will have a great article from him late tonight, but here are a few of his tweets in the meantime.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports5h
The defense has pretty much wrapped up in the #hayestrial. Grant Hayes will not take the stand.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports5h
There'll be some procedural business, then closing arguments.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports4h
Judge Stephens says the jury may return with a guilty verdict on either 1st degree or 2nd degree murder.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports2h
Grant Hayes defense atty Jeff Cutler making headway on reasonable doubt on premeditation, but has work cut out...

...on saying Hayes at the very least didn't work in concert with his wife to kill Laura Ackerson.

Wild guess, but the jury's main issue may be deciding between whether to find guilt on 1st or 2nd degree murder.

A not guilty verdict seems to be a reach, but you never know. Juries can be hard to predict.

Since prosecutors aren't seeking the death penalty, the difference between possible 1st and 2nd degree murder convictions...

...is whether Hayes would ever get out of jail. 1st deg: Life w/o parole. 2nd deg: 12 years to life w/o parole.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports1h
Prosecution punching back on premeditation. They want that first-degree verdict.

Prosecution picked up something I noticed -- defense case rested on testimony of Amanda Hayes' sister...

...and that testimony went sideways for them when Karen Berry said Amanda indicated she was covering up for Grant.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports42m
Jury receives its instructions this afternoon. Jurors will be able to dive into deliberations first thing Monday.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports38m
Of all the jury trials I've covered, the ADAs in this case have done very well. The extensive documentation really hurt Hayes' case.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports37m
There were thousands of emails, Facebook messages, text messages, voice mail, surveillance vids, financial records, Ackerson's diary.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports35m
The only thing left up in the air was exactly how Ackerson met her end, and that was not possible b/c of decomposition.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports34m
But, the jury doesn't even need to know that to be able to convict.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports31m
Don't know what's up, but a bailiff has been talking to Ackerson family members. Think one of them said something to Grant.

It would appear Laura's brother got kicked out of court.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports26m
So...Judge Stephens says the remark was to one of Hayes' attorneys. Something to the effect of, "How do you sleep at night?"

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports16m
@paulwhittington Ackerson's brother was asked to leave.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports15m
FWIW -- prosecutors did some quality push-back on premeditation. Don't see how deliberations last past Monday.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports11m
Court begins at 9:30 a.m. Monday.

https://twitter.com/WolfeReports
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:06 pm

Below are the videos for today's trial coverage.  

I really appreciate how they have made separate videos for the attorneys' charge conference, and also included one for the Judge's instructions to the jury.

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 11 pt 1)

Sept. 13, 2013, testimony of Karen Berry.

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 11 pt 2)

Sept. 13, 2013, testimony of Raleigh police detective Jerry Faulk.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12883366/

Attorneys' charge conference

Attorneys and the judge discuss the instructions that will be given to jurors prior to deliberations.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12884627/

Defense closing arguments, pt 1

Attorney Will Durham presents part of the defense's closing arguments on Sept. 13, 2013, in the first-degree murder trial of Grant Hayes.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12885039/

Defense closing arguments, pt 2

Attorney Jeff Cutler presents part of the defense's closing arguments on Sept. 13, 2013, in the first-degree murder trial of Grant Hayes.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12885042/

State closing arguments, pt 1

Wake County Assistant District Attorney Becky Holt presents part of the state's closing arguments on Sept. 13, 2013, in the first-degree murder trial of Grant Hayes.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12885045/

State closing arguments, pt 2

Wake County Assistant District Attorney Boz Zellinger presents part of the state's closing arguments on Sept. 13, 2013, in the first-degree murder trial of Grant Hayes.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12885049/

Judge's instructions to jury

Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens on Sept. 13, 2013, instructs the jury on the law before it begins deliberations in the first-degree murder trial of Grant Hayes.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12885053/

Last edited by Nan11 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:17 pm

Below is an interesting short video from yesterday's testimony showing grant rocking in court to the music of his tune 'Broomstick Rider.'

Personally, I hope the tune helps the jury rock him all the way to where he belongs--in a prison cell for many, many, many years.

Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:23 pm

WRAL | Defense: Hayes' actions were disturbing but not murder

•Reporter: Kelly Gardner | Posted: 12:19 p.m. today | Updated: 41 minutes ago

Raleigh, N.C. — Defense attorneys for a Raleigh man accused of killing his ex-girlfriend and the mother of two of his children conceded Friday to "very nasty" and disturbing details of the case but urged jurors not to let emotions decide the outcome of their client's first-degree murder trial.

"They want you to convict Grant Hayes because of the things he did not because they have proven that he killed Laura Ackerson," attorney Jeff Cutler told jurors during closing arguments. "They have not proven how Laura Ackerson died or who killed her."

More to come ...

Read more:  http://www.wral.com/grant-hayes-trial-jurors-can-consider-second-degree-murder/12883336/
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:19 pm

The video at this link is good.  It has parts of the surveillance video showing Hayes purchasing the saw he used on Laura's remains; and a detective reads a few important words to one of Grant's songs that the prosecutors introduced as evidence.

(Sorry I can't embed the video.)

WITN | VIDEO | Grant Hayes Doesn't Take Stand; Lawyers Giving Final Arguments

Updated: Fri 4:27 PM, Sep 13, 2013

A Raleigh musician, who is accused of killing a Kinston mother, did not take the witness stand as his trial winds down.

{Snipped}

But prosecutors say it doesn't matter who killed Ackerson. Boz Zellinger says they have proved Hayes had the motive and opportunity to kill the woman. "This saw cut someone in half and then he cut her head off and put it in coolers," Zellinger told jurors. "This defendant had so much malice that he sawed the mother of his children's legs off."

Read more:  http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/223523681.html
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:31 pm

There were a couple of pictures of the early stages of the investigation that I hadn't seen before, so I added them as thumbnails.  You can either click on them, or see them at the link!  

WNCN | Prosecution: Grant Hayes 'robbed her of her life'

By WNCN Staff | Posted: Sep 13, 2013 1:02 PM | Updated: Sep 13, 2013 6:41 PM

Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder - Page 7 28085010  Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder - Page 7 28085011  Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder - Page 7 28085012

RALEIGH, N.C. - The prosecution pushed in closing arguments Friday for a guilty verdict in the first-degree murder trial of Grant Hayes, saying Hayes had a plan to kill Laura Ackerman.

{Snipped}

"He robbed her of her life. He robbed her of her dignity and he tried to cover it up in every way he could," prosecutor Becky Holt told the jury in a Wake County courtroom.

Read more:  http://www.wncn.com/story/23425148/defense-rests-in-grant-hayes-trial

Last edited by Nan11 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:40 pm

ABC11 | Hayes attorneys argue against murder charge in Ackerson killing

Updated at 06:19 PM today (9/13/13)

RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- Attorneys for Grant Hayes tried to convince a jury in its closing arguments Friday that he should not be convicted of murder in the death of Laura Ackerson.

{Snipped}

Holt pointed to testimony from a psychiatrist who had examined Hayes and Ackerson in their legal battle against each other and had recommended Hayes needed to go see a psychiatrist because of his illogical disturbed thinking. Holt said Hayes had grown desperate because he wanted total control of children with Ackerson only getting supervised visits, but was likely to only get split custody at best.

Read more:  http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9247316
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:56 pm

Freckles wrote:CP--
From research I have done, 1/20 suffer from some sort of mental illness. Makes it scary, huh? Now you understand road rage, shoppers at Christmas or sales' events, etc.. For some forms of mental illness, hereditary MAY play a part.  The brains just aren't wired the same...Diet?  Some accused sugar as being a culprit but we see the numbers increased with artificial sweeteners.. Most function in society as just being the clown at the family reunion, the pest next door type of thing. Some run for political office or star in the latest Hollywood movie...and they probably are just megalomaniacs or narcissists. Power hungry or attention seeking. Some are given to histrionics.  Most are just the eccentrics the rest of us are not comfortable around.  

Most of these individuals do NOT get violent or murderous.
IR they did, there would be a much smaller population!  

Walk softly and carry... a big gun! (GZ is waiting around the corner...)
affraid 
One out of 20?  Holy cow!  I guess "mental illness" covers a lot more than just sociopaths/psychopaths; I wonder what that percentage is?  Thanks for this, Freckles!
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:59 pm

Freckles wrote:
CuriousPortlander wrote:Thanks for this, Freckles.  I misunderstood this in Chat today.  I thought they asked Karen if she thought Amanda was involved in Laura's disappearance, which is why I thought she answered I was afraid she was.  Now I realize the question was about Laura, not Amanda.  Sorry for the confusion in Chat!  That's what I get for jumping between two trials comtemporaneously (Ishi - drunken   ha!)
You are partially correct.
Berry asked her sister IF she was covering for Grant...
she did NOT ask her IF she had killed Laura...
and Amanda nodded her head YES in affirmation.
Yeah, thanks, I got that part.  It was the part about "did they ask you if Laura was there" that I didn't hear in its entirety.

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Nan11 wrote:Below are snippets of  transcripts of Karen's testimony from yesterday.  I have place the link below.  These are quick transcripts, so please feel free to check.

I added one last snippet from Karen, so we will have them all together--it has a separate link. (Sorry for the length.)

Thanks, Nan! I appreciate the transcript!

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi, everyone!  WRAL just updated the videos for the Hayes trial.  I have updated my comment to add the remaining ones, and to save you from scrolling to find it, I will add a link for it below.

http://www.realitychatter.com/t3433p300-laura-jean-ackerson-deceased-7-13-11-grant-and-amanda-hayes-charged-with-murder#225731

The following link will take you directly to the WRAL site where they have all the videos for the full trial posted.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/asset_gallery/12826513/
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:05 am

Below is a transcript of the jury instructions.  (It is very unofficial as I'm the transcriber.  LOL)   Click on the spoiler if you want to continue reading.

Judge’s Instructions to Jury

Members of the jury, all the evidence has been presented.  It is now your duty to decide from this evidence what the true facts are.  You must then apply the law which I’m about to give you, to those true facts as you find them to be.

It is absolutely necessary that you understand the law and apply the law as I give it to you, and not as you think it is, or you might like it to be.

This is important because justice requires everyone tried for the same alleged crime be treated in the same way, and have the same law applied to him or to her.

Spoiler:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12885053/
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:06 am

Defense: Hayes' actions were disturbing but not murder

Posted: 12:19 p.m. today
Updated: 8:03 p.m. today

Raleigh, N.C. — Defense attorneys for a Raleigh man accused of killing his ex-girlfriend and the mother of two of his children conceded Friday to "very nasty" and disturbing facts of the case but urged jurors not to let emotions decide the outcome of their client's first-degree murder trial.

"They want you to convict Grant Hayes because of the things he did, not because they have proven that he killed Laura Ackerson," attorney Jeff Cutler told jurors during closing arguments. "They have not proven how Laura Ackerson died or who killed her."

~Snipped~

"Laura Ackerson loved her kids to death. She loved her kids to her own death," Assistant District Attorney Boz Zellinger said in the state's closing arguments. "Grant Hayes knew that, and he tried to control her that night. Now, he's trying to control you with his defense."

~Snipped~

"He didn't just dispose of her body. He engraved his hate by cutting off her head," Zellinger said. "That dismemberment means more than just disposing of the body. It's extreme abhorrence of the person he killed. What more dehumanizing things could you do to a person?"

~Snipped~

Prosecutor Becky Holt, however, said the custody case was starting to go bad for him after an unfavorable report detailing a court-ordered psychological evaluation recommended that Hayes be further evaluated by a psychiatrist because of his "illogical disturbed thinking" toward Ackerson.

"This is a case in which the defendant was at a point where he was losing control," Holt said. "He had grand aspirations to be this songwriter that would go to Nashville or travel the world with his children and move his life forward. The defendant wanted Laura to just go away."

~Snipped~

"They want you to convict Grant Hayes because he wrote a song. The song he played was a parody," attorney Will Durham said. "It's not a funny joke now, in light of what happened, but he was blowing off some steam."

Read more:

http://www.wral.com/grant-hayes-trial-jurors-can-consider-second-degree-murder/12883336/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:01 am

Due to other obligations, I have not been able to watch the trial in "real" time. I watch a few archived videos each night. I am behind in this trial. I really appreciate the hard work of posting updates and info by all.

Special thanks to Nan, Ales and others for all of the awesome updates!

Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder - Page 7 Thank_you_animated_gif Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder - Page 7 Animated_thank_you_greeting_card

Nan, you did a remarkable job of the "spoilers", etc.  Maybe you could teach us how to be major computer savvy . . . like you!

Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:09 am

Following is Mr. Wolfe's write-up on the closing arguments in the case.  I'm a little disappointed in it, but I guess the closing arguments are hard to capture with the written word.

Kinston.com | Closing arguments given in Ackerson murder trial

By Wes Wolfe / Staff Writer | Published: Friday, September 13, 2013 at 22:21 PM.

RALEIGH — State prosecutors used their closing argument in the murder trial of Grant Hayes to paint him — as ex-girlfriend Laura Ackerson called him — as a sociopath who wanted to erase Ackerson’s existence when he’s alleged to have killed her on July 13, 2011.

{Snipped}
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:33 am

Ann - Tx wrote:
Due to other obligations, I have not been able to watch the trial in "real" time.  I watch a few archived videos each night.  I am behind in this trial.  I really appreciate the hard work of posting updates and info by all.

Special thanks to Nan, Ales and others for all of the awesome updates!

{images respectfully snipped}

Nan, you did a remarkable job of the "spoilers", etc.  Maybe you could teach us how to be major computer savvy . . . like you!
Hi, Ann - Tx!  Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder - Page 7 Hi-there-smiley

It's nice to see you dropping in.

This proved to be a really interesting trial.  I found it to be well conducted by both the prosecutors and the defense.  I know better than to try to predict what a jury will do, but the state's case was very strong.

I was so pleased to hear of the legal theory of acting in concert.  That's just as good as a flashing neon light pointing to a 1st degree murder conviction.

Following is a direct quote from the jury instruction Judge Stephens read and handed out to the jury.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the state in this case relies in part upon the legal theory of acting in concert, which is recognized and accepted as a part of the law of North Carolina.  Under that law, for a person to be guilty of a crime, it is not necessary that he, himself, personally, do all the acts necessary to constitute that crime.  If two persons act together with a common purpose to commit the crime of first degree murder, and each is present at the time the first degree murder is committed, then each of them is held responsible for the acts of the other committed in the commission of that crime."

I'm really not very computer savvy, but I thank you for the compliment!  It's always a pleasure to see you drop in.
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Summertime Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:13 pm

Well, I watched almost every minute of this trial, nothing to do but hope for a .... Quick verdict. Can not even say the word, do not want to jinx anything.
I was told that the judge sent someone out of he courtroom, after they said something to the defense attorney, at the very end of the day. I noticed Laura's brother ( and spouse ) were not in the courtroom at the end, Was it him?
Summertime
Summertime

Mood : Vacation

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:36 pm

Summertime wrote:Well, I watched almost every minute of this trial, nothing to do but hope for a .... Quick verdict.  Can not even say the word, do not want to jinx anything.
I was told that the judge sent someone out of he courtroom, after they said something to the defense attorney, at the very end of the day.  I noticed Laura's brother ( and spouse ) were not in the courtroom at the end,     Was it him?
BBM - Yep.  Here are a few tweets from Mr. Wolfe mentioning that:

It would appear Laura's brother got kicked out of court.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports26m
So...Judge Stephens says the remark was to one of Hayes' attorneys. Something to the effect of, "How do you sleep at night?"
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:17 am

Jury to deliberate in Grant Hayes murder trial

Posted: 8:51 p.m. yesterday
Updated: 9:04 p.m. yesterday

Raleigh, N.C. — Jurors will begin deliberating Monday morning in the three-week trial of a man accused of luring his ex-girlfriend to his Raleigh apartment, killing her and then disposing of her dismembered body in a Texas creek.

Read more:

http://www.wral.com/jury-set-to-deliberate-monday-in-grant-hayes-murder-trial/12889158/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:19 am

Following are live stream links.  The jury should reconvene in the court room for a few minutes before they begin their deliberations.  

WRAL

ABC
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/livenow?id=9223333

WildAboutTrial
http://wildabouttrial.com/grant-hayes-live-stream.html

Justice, Part 1, for Laura!
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by ishi Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:55 am

So now we wait. Anyone want to bet on how long it takes the jury to reach a verdict? I think it will be a quick one so I will go with 5 hours.
ishi
ishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:56 am

NAN and others:
I caught the middle of the judge's final instructions to the jurors in the Ackerman murder trial. I left my notes in the chat room. Hope they don't automatically get erased....
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:57 am

ishi wrote:So now we wait. Anyone want to bet on how long it takes the jury to reach a verdict? I think it will be a quick one so I will go with 5 hours.
Did you see my posting in chat?
I was rather lonely in there... Shocked 
Someone had turned off the lights, IMO....
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by ishi Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:04 am

Oh no Freckles! It is lonely in chat when you are talking to yourself. I kept checking to see if anyone was there and you never showed up as present. I should have just signed in.
ishi
ishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:08 am

The jury has begun deliberations!

Laura's father was present in his usual seat.

Grant was dressed in his white outfit, and appeared relaxed and chatty.  He helped himself to some coffee and was all smiles.

The judge called the court to order and asked if either side had anything further before he brought the jury back.

Neither side did, so the judge asked the bailiff to bring in the jury.

The judge reminded the jury of their obligations and asked them to let him know if--for any reason--they felt they could not participate in the deliberations.  One male juror told the judge that he was going on vacation this Friday.

The judge told him that if a verdict had not been reached by Friday, than a verdict was not going to be reached.

The jurors can take their written notes and also their copy of the judge's instructions into the deliberations room with them.

One juror asked about having transcripts of witness's testimony available.  The judge told her that no testimony had yet been transcribed.

If a request is made for such, the jury members have to hear the whole testimony of the witness and the court reporter will read it back.

Once the 12 members of the jury retired to begin deliberations, the judge thanked the 3 alternates.  They are allowed to bring their notes home.

No restrictions are placed on them but he requested that they defer from making a statement until after the official verdict.

He gave them his very nice 'thank you very much,' and dismissed them.

We are on verdict watch!

Last edited by Nan11 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:10 am

@ Freckles and Ishi: I was there, too, but didn't log on thinking I was silly for being there. LOL

Sorry we all missed each other.
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by One Wonders Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:05 am

Ishi, I'm going out on a limb and say 7 hours.
One Wonders
One Wonders

Mood : Neener

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:29 am

The jury has reached a verdict. The judge is bringing them in now.
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:47 am

Mr. Grant Ruffian Hayes has been found guilty of murder in the first degree!

The judge sentenced him to life without parole.

It was short and sweet and we are done looking at his sulky face.

Yay.  God bless each member of the jury!
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:09 pm

Grant Hayes guilty of first-degree murder

Posted: Sep 15, 2013 8:36 PM CDT
Updated: Sep 16, 2013 10:46 AM CDT

By Jonathan Carlson

A Wake County jury found Grant Hayes guilty of first-degree murder Monday morning.

The Raleigh man was charged with killing his ex-girlfriend Laura Ackerson over a custody dispute.

"A jury verdict in an hour and a half speaks louder than anything anyone can say," Judge Donald Stephens said.

Stephens said Hayes was sentenced to life in prison without parole, and Hayes was handcuffed without emotion. Hayes did not address the court after the verdict.

Read more:

http://www.wncn.com/story/23438008/jury-deliberations-begin-monday-in-hayes-murder-trial
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Grant Hayes guilty verdict

Grant Hayes is found guilty Sept. 16, 2013, of first-degree murder in the July 2011 death of his ex-girlfriend, Laura Ackerson. The jury deliberated for less than two hours before reaching its decision

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next