Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING

+16
Stolat
Alessandra_Deux
Lash
Tamta
snowbird
Gizmo711
KZ
stina
Julie
Estee
Trueblue
sitemama
justanopinion
KimmyK
GlaringError
DebFrmHell
20 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 Empty Re: NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING

Post by Freckles Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:16 pm

Trying to get more info
They still haven't released the info re evidence recovered from Lanza home or the reason for the altercation.

What a terrible, terrible nightmare.
Freckles
Freckles

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:41 pm

Freckles wrote:Trying to get more info
They still haven't released the info re evidence recovered from Lanza home or the reason for the altercation.

What a terrible, terrible nightmare.

Freckles - last night I read they had gathered evidence from an alternate crime scene, I assumed the mother's home. I too wonder if he might have left some notes there as as to his rage, shooting his mother in the face too breaks my heart, she saw who her murderer was.

LE said the surviving teacher, the one not at school Friday, hopefully can fill in all the information about the altercation. imo, if he is mentally unstable, his perception of an implied slight might have been distorted. I am in no way making any excuses for a murderer of children, but I to wonder about his diagnosis and if he was on medication. Something that is a common characteristic of asbergers syndrome and autism, is the the person doesn't like to make eye contact with anyone. In the photo of Adam, I saw he was looking down, not making eye contact with the person taking the photo, that is characteristic of the spectrum disorder.

I too found it odd that his brother had not seen him since 2010, but I assume all the questions will eventually be answered.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:47 pm

KimmyK wrote:Do they know what the argument the day before was about?

Is it true the shooter had a child at that school?

Kimmy K- The shooter was 20 yrs. old and didn't have children. I too heard a news report yesterday that did in fact report the shooter had a child at the school, I guess things were so chaotic, some information was misreported but it seemed news organizations were quickly trying to get the right information even saying, "our previous report was incorrect." It's good to see the MEDIA acting more responsibility during this tragedy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:51 pm

Seems to be a rash of this going around on campuses at this time of the year. I am familiar with this campus:

http://www.sbsun.com/ci_22197047
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:02 pm

A whole lot of misinformation as the media was pushing to get info out and correct it later!
LE have stated there was NOT a note on Adam, in the car, in the house.

No; he had no child at the school.

No; his mother was NOT on a list as a teacher OR as a substitute for the school.

Yes; Adam, age 20, the shooter, and older brother Ryan, age 24, had both attended the school and other schools in the district. Both were high honor students.

Adam, the shooter, resided/had a room in his mother's home.
Ryan, the brother, lived separately in another location.
Ryan had not seen his brother since 2010.
Adam had some ID on him belonging to Ryan which is why first believed Ryan was the shooter. *Scroll back. I did a c/p of Ryan's fb page in which he states it was NOT him. Yes, he WAS at work.

Adam took his mother's car to drive to the elementary AFTER he had shot his mother in her face, killing her.

Adam used guns from his mother's gun collection.

Adam, age 20, was not of age ( 21) to legally possess a fire arm in Connecticut. (State has some of the more rigid gun laws.)

Adam was NOT given entrance to the school by school personnel; media is not stating how he entered the school but it MAY have been through a broken window.

Principal, vice principal, school psychologist had gathered to meet to discuss a student when they heard an altercation in the hall; all three went to the hall. Principal attempted grabbing the gun; she was shot and killed as was the school psychologist. The vice principal was shot through the foot; she crawled back into the office and hid under a desk.

Someone in the office flipped on the intercom.
That saved many. However, ALL the children some 600, heard the gunshots and the screaming. This alerted the teachers to try to protect the children.

From what I understand, the children killed were from a grade K class and a grade 1 class.

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:50 pm

Twelve little girls and eight little boys: Police name Connecticut massacre victims - all aged six and seven - as it's revealed gunman shot each child up to 11 times in 'revenge' attack after fighting with teachers the day before

Authorities release complete list of victims, all between the ages of 6 and 7
Emilie Parker, 6, Ana Marquez-Greene, 7, Jesse Lewis, 6, Noah Pozner, 6, and six-year-old Grace McDonnell among the victims

Teacher Victoria Soto threw herself in front of her first grade class to protect them from the gunfire

Principal Dawn Hochsprung and school psychologist Mary Sherlach were killed execution-style after confronting shooter Adam Lanza

A fourth teacher has been named as Lauren Rousseau, 30

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2248651/Connecticut-school-shooting-Massacre-gunman-shot-child-11-times.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:03 pm

From link by art tart--

GONE TOO SOON: VICTIMS OF THE SANDY HOOK SCHOOL MASSACRE

CHILDREN:

Charlotte Bacon, 6

Daniel Barden, 7

Olivia Engel, 6

Josephine Gay, 7

Ana Marquez-Greene, 6

Dylan Hockley, 6

Madeleine Hsu, 6

Catherine Hubbard, 6

Chase Kowalski, 7

Jesse Lewis, 6

James Mattioli, 6

Grace McDonnell, 7

Emilie Parker, 6

Jack Pinto, 6

Noah Pozner, 6

Caroline Previdi, 6

Jessica Rekos, 6

Avielle Richman, 6

Benjamin Wheeler, 6

Allison N. Wyatt, 6

ADULTS:

Rachel Davino, 29

Dawn Hochsprung, 47

Anne Marie Murphy, 52

Lauren Russeau, 20

Mary Sherlach, 56

Victoria Soto, 27
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:05 pm

Bas tard. Evil. Mean. I wish the last bullet he fired had been his first bullet.

" gunman shot each child up to 11 times in 'revenge' attack after fighting with teachers the day before"
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:09 pm

Freckles - the link too said the children ALL had from 3 t 11 gunshot wounds, no one was shot only once.

It seemed the bastard wanted to make sure no one lived through it.

I found it odd that Adam had his brother's ID on him when swat/LE searched his body. That's why the confusion and wrong reporting, I guess most assumed it was Ryan when in fact it was Adam. I wonder if Adam would have shot his brother too if he could have gotten to him, he apparently wanted to blame his brother.

Ryan too has lost his mother, she was shot in the face by his brother before the rampage. What a nightmare for everyone at the school, all the families, the siblings. I can't comprehend the evil, hate, and rage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:11 pm

Freckles - I can never understand why these sick twists don't just kill themselves instead of taking so many innocent victims with them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Some background on the Mother of the Murderer:

The mother of massacre gunman Adam Lanza who taught son how to shoot before he went on killing rampage
Nancy Lanza, 52, was killed by her son, Adam Lanza, before he massacred 26 people and killed himself at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut

Nancy Lanza once showed off a 'high-end rifle' to family friend Dan Holmes and recalled 'she was proud of it... she loved her guns'

The mother had five guns registered to her name, two of which Adam Lanza used to carry out the execution-style killings

A third gun belonging to Nancy Lanza was found in the back of the car that Adam Lanza drove to Sandy Hook Elementary

Peers remember Adam Lanza as a quiet and extremely intelligent student who kept to himself and carried black briefcase to class

Brother Ryan, 24, an accountant at Ernst and Young, said Adam had personality disorder

Reporters broke the news of the massacre to Adam's father, Peter, who is divorced from the mother and lives in Stamford, Connecticut with new wife

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2248645/She-target-shooting-kids-Nancy-Lanza-mother-murderer-Adam-Lanza-avid-gun-collector-taught-sons-use-firearms.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:50 pm

art tart---
I read the reports. So many I have read. Yeah. There was the third high caliber gun in the car. What I haven't seen is this: How long was he in the school? How many classrooms are there and how many did he go to?

The brother, Ryan, stated he had not seen his brother since 2010. That is two years. I wonder if Adam found ID in the home belonging to Ryan and had used that, perhaps, to buy bullets? I have read, the day before, Adam had attempted buying a gun. Perhaps, that is why he had his brother's ID on him?

IMO, Adam would have shot anyone who approached him.
He appears to have worked himself into a frenzy. I have no opinion on whether he had a mental illness or not; info released re his early childhood, and through high school --- two years ago--- does not indicate Adam as being anything other than shy. And very intelligent.

Talk show, last night: A behavioral psychiatrist pointed out Adam may have been collecting items (3 armored vests, bullets, etc.) for sometime without actually planning a date; Adam may have been waiting for the "trigger" to free his anger. He certainly did not line this all up overnight or in a very short period of time. It took time to acquire the items he used. It took time to make his bed, kill his mother, get the car keys, drive to the school, enter the school, etc.. And that all took planning.

So. He is setting the stage and just waiting for a trigger. And apparently the argument the day prior was a trigger. I just hope, really hope, it wasn't because he had asked one of them out and he was given the brush off.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Freckles - still so many unanswered questions. I am surprised the mom had taken him to the gun range. She, by the accounts I have read have said she was a fine person, but rigid, but a good mother. From what I have read, it's hard to believe that if the mom thought Adam was unstable, she would have taken him to the gun range w/her in the past to shoot the guns. It's is surprising to read Adam's mother was a gun collector.

After my dad retired from contracting, my mom and dad owned a gun store. Both of my parent's shot competitively and enjoyed it, but I haven't known a lot of women that participate in the sport.

It's hard to know about any mental challenges that Adam might have had, his brother Ryan said he was "autistic," which would be asperger's because he is so high functioning, but that is a spectrum disorder and it may have been Adam displayed ONLY a few of the characteristics. It might have been Adam was deeply depressed, it's hard to know.

I wonder if they are checking his social media, face book, my space, cell phone, computer, etc. Surely they are combing over everything, that, imo, is probably going to answer many of our questions.

More background on Adam's mother, she had taken Adam out of school in high school and homeschooled him
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/adam-lanzas-mom-pulled-school-relative/story?id=17985433#.UM09PW_omk0

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:52 pm

The social media sites, if I understand correctly, have all been shut down.I went there when Ryan's name was used and I shared the info here. I tried Adam's but only got false sites.

I may be wrong but Conn has minimum age of 21 for hand guns and I am thinking this may be the reason Adam had Ryan's ID. (Ryan probably left old ID in the home before the moved.) Adam was turned down on the purchase of a gun the day prior to the shooting.

I am baffled two intelligent boys fairly close in age would go two years without seeing each other. Was there a jealousy thing of, " Dad likes me better than you?" Was there a falling out? Dad did get Ryan a job working at Dad's place of business. Why not Ryan? Was Adam boxed in and frustrated because he was still living with Mom? Wonder when Dad last saw Adam. Just wondering if Adam had friends, outlets for his own socialization?

Tired. Emotionally drained. Yet I have the privilege of stopping and taking a break. That is not something these victims had the luxury of. And there [parents don't either.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:55 pm

FATHER of Adam Lanzer Speaks Out!

"Our hearts go out to the families and friends who lost loved ones and to all those who were injured," Peter Lanza said. "Our family is grieving along with all those who have been affected by this enormous tragedy. No words can truly express how heartbroken we are. We are in a state of disbelief and trying to find whatever answers we can. We too are asking why. We have cooperated fully with law enforcement and will continue to do so. Like so many of you, we are saddened, but struggling to make sense of what has transpired."

His brother, Ryan Lanza, 24, who was widely and erroneously reported to be the suspect, was questioned in Hoboken, N.J., but authorities said he was not involved. [b]An FBI source tells Fox News that Ryan Lanza and the father, Peter Lanza, have both been cleared and are not longer being questioned.

Read more:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/15/at-least-26-dead-in-shooting-at-connecticut-school/#ixzz2FBRh1ZlN

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:01 pm

I pray no family has lost two members.
Small community. Some families may have lost a child and a niece/nephew.

"Five of the 16 kids in Soto's class were slain, including Noah Pozner, whose twin sister was in another classroom, barricaded with her teacher in the bathroom. "

Eleven of the children in this class survived.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/connecticut-school-shooting-medical-examiner-faced-grim-task/story?id=17982784
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Anti-Gun Donations Surge After Connecticut Shooting

Posted: 12/14/2012 7:40 pm EST
NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 R-ANTI-GUN-DONATIONS-CONNECTICUT-SHOOTING-large570
Donations to anti-gun organizations surged after Friday's Connecticut school shooting. (AP Photo/The Journal News, Frank Becerra Jr.)

Within hours of the mass shooting that killed more than two dozen people in Connecticut on Friday, social media channels surged with grief and heartfelt condolences. There also was an avalanche of donations to anti-gun organizations.

"Our site crashed today, and its bandwidth had been boosted after Aurora," said Caroline Brewer, a spokeswoman for the Brady Campaign, a nonprofit organization that lobbies for gun-control laws, referring to the movie theater slaughter in the Colorado town. "Americans are reaching out in extraordinary numbers."

While it is not unusual for nonprofit organizations to see an uptick in donations following a devastating event, anti-gun violence organizations reported on Friday afternoon the number of gifts they had received far surpassed the bump in charitable giving they usually see after mass shootings.

Read more:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/14/anti-gun-donations-surge-connecticut-shooting_n_2303632.html
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by sitemama Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Ana Marquez-Greene, 6, is the daughter of the very famous saxophone player, Jimmie Greene. He just moved his family from Canada to Newtown, CT this past summer. He has written a song for his daughter, entitled "Ana Grace".
sitemama
sitemama
Admin

Mood : Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:45 pm

Connecticut school victims were shot multiple times

By Susan Candiotti and Dana Ford, CNN
December 16, 2012 -- Updated 0156 GMT (0956 HKT)

Newtown, Connecticut (CNN) -- Authorities in Newtown, Connecticut, put together more pieces of the puzzle Saturday to explain what happened inside Sandy Hook Elementary School, one day after a gunman opened fire there, killing 20 students and six adults.

All the victims died from gunshot wounds and were struck more than once, according to H. Wayne Carver II, chief medical examiner for the state of Connecticut. Their deaths have been classified as homicides.

"I've been at this for a third of a century. My sensibilities may not be the average man, but this probably is the worst I have seen or the worst that I know of any of my colleagues having seen," Carver told reporters.

Video at link:

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/15/us/connecticut-school-shooting/index.html
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:26 am

When I shared the ME comments re the multiple shots fired into each of those tiny bodies, my son flinched and became angry. Up to eleven shots? Disgusting hunt he was on.

Reports I have read do NOT state:
How many more unspent rounds were found near the perp or in the car?

Where was the perp's body found?

How many classrooms/locations did the perp go to?

And, most importantly, did the perp shoot himself eleven times, too? (That was sarcasm.) Obviously, the dude with the flak vest did not originally intend on "going down". And either the flak vest failed to protect him from a shot to the body OR he decided to take a round in the head.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:31 am

Adam Lanza: Yearbook, 2008

http://imgace.com/pic/tag/sandy-hook-elementary-school-shooting-newton-connecticut-shooter-adam-lanza-yearbook-picture-2008/
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:33 am

Peter Lanza, father: pic and commentary

http://imgace.com/pic/tag/peter-spared-by-adam-lanza-who-shot-nancy-lanza-in-the-face-before-taking-her-car-and-going-to-sandy-hook-elementary-where-he-shot-and-killed-26-others-and-then-killed-himself-dec-14/

"peter lanza is alive in stamford conn. tax director and vice president taxes at ge energy financial services.
The Stamford Advocate is reporting that the father of Adam Lanza, the man who killed 20 young children and six others at Sandy Hook Elementary school, is not dead despite being included in earlier reports.
Peter Lanza did not comment to a Stamford reporter when asked about the incident.
The initial confusion as to the whereabouts came from the report of a dead body being found at 36 Yogananda Street in Newtown. That body is now believed to be the mother of Adam Lanza.
She had already been incorrectly identified as being killed at the school. Lanza is believed to have driven her car to the school."

http://www.heavy.com/news/2012/12/peter-lanza-father-of-sandy-hook-shooter-adam-lanza-is-alive/
Read more at http://imgace.com/pic/tag/peter-spared-by-adam-lanza-who-shot-nancy-lanza-in-the-face-before-taking-her-car-and-going-to-sandy-hook-elementary-where-he-shot-and-killed-26-others-and-then-killed-himself-dec-14/#8lihC0JBwFc51FVX.99
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:55 am

Pictorial site:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/15/connecticut-shooter-guns_n_2306913.html#slide=1884003

BTW, what happened to the man in camo found lurking in the woods?
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:06 am

Pulled ad, media scolded for incorrect info re perp, etc.

http://www.adweek.com/news/press/media-missteps-connecticut-shooting-coverage-145963

Early on, rifle reported to have fired ALL the shots:
http://live.wsj.com/video/details-of-connecticut-school-shooter-emerge/4D803723-97F2-4414-9EF2-80340E81586F.html#!4D803723-97F2-4414-9EF2-80340E81586F

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:23 am

Good reference page.
Bits of new info.
Scroll down to the aunt speaking out.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/12/live-updates-newtown-conn-school-shooting/

Edited: Like this
"3:09 p.m.: Outside the town’s nearby firehouse, there are now 26 Christmas Trees–with teddy bears nestled into each."

NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539 NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 2 624539

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:11 am

Of interest, page 5:

" Kingston, New Hampshire, Police Chief Donald Briggs Jr. said Nancy Lanza once lived in the community and was a kind, considerate and loving person. The former stockbroker at John Hancock in Boston was well-respected, Briggs said.

Court records show Lanza and her ex-husband, Peter Lanza, filed for divorce in 2008. He lives in Stamford and is a tax director at General Electric. A neighbor, Rhonda Cullens, said she knew Nancy Lanza from get-togethers she had hosted to play Bunco, a dice game. She said her neighbor had enjoyed gardening.

“She was a very nice lady,” Cullens said. “She was just like all the rest of us in the neighborhood, just a regular person.”"

http://www.rgj.com/viewart/20121215/NEWS07/312150069/-Always-smiling-Portraits-of-Connecticut-victims

The mother, Nancy Lanza, may have volunteered at the school. She did not work there.
According the this link, mother was a former stock broker; father is a tax director at General Electric, GE.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:19 am

This is 2 pages. Written only about the perp:

" SOUTHBURY, CONN. — At Newtown High School, Adam Lanza had trouble relating to fellow students and teachers, but that was only part of his problem. He seemed not to feel physical or psychological pain in the same way as classmates.

Richard Novia, the school district’s head of security until 2008, who also served as adviser for the school technology club, said Lanza clearly “had some disabilities.”

“If that boy would’ve burned himself, he would not have known it or felt it physically,” Novia told the Associated Press in a phone interview. “It was my job to pay close attention to that.”

Novia was responsible for monitoring students as they used soldering tools and other potentially dangerous electrical equipment.

He recalled meeting with school guidance counselors, administrators and with the boy’s mother, Nancy Lanza, to understand his problems and find ways to ensure his safety. But there were other crises only a mother could solve.

“He would have an episode, and she’d have to return or come to the high school and deal with it,” Novia said, describing how the young man would sometimes withdraw completely “from whatever he was supposed to be doing,” whether it was sitting in class or reading a book.

Adam Lanza “could take flight, which I think was the big issue, and it wasn’t a rebellious or defiant thing,” Novia said. “It was withdrawal.”"

http://www.rgj.com/viewart/20121215/NEWS12/312150070/School-adviser-Gunman-a-loner-who-felt-no-pain

Anyone with medical knowledge care to comment after reading the story? Like your opinion.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by DebFrmHell Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:38 am

I thought that his mother worked at that school and I could put some kind of reasoning behind this. Even weak understanding...

It turns out his mother never worked for that school and I can't come up with anything that would cause him to target such young children other than their pure defenselessness. The only adults killed were trying to stop him or shield his true targets.

He shot his mother in the face. It doesn't get more personal than that.

I questioned that she had actually purchased the guns and it turns out she did indeed legally purchase/keep guns and took her sons to target ranges. She was a gun enthusiast. It was reported in USAToday, she had the two handguns, two deer rifles, and for some reason that .223.

I know it is wrong to blame a victim but why would a woman with a young man at home, troubled enough to drop out of the Newtown school system to be home schooled by his mother, keep weapons with apparently known access in the house?

I just can't wrap my head around any of this. And this is not a gun control issue to me. Connecticut has some very stringent gun control laws. One of the toughest in the nation.
DebFrmHell
DebFrmHell

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:15 am

Deb-
Did the mother see her son as troubled or did she believe the school and society were at fault? I don't question her letting her son have access to guns. It is what it is and I don't know the terms.Perhaps, she encouraged her son to target practice to relieve stress?

As more is coming forth, it appears the son was reticent and had difficulties fitting into classroom structure. From reports, he seemed to be painfully shy and fearful of others.

Sadly, not to be idealistic, with the numbers of guns owned in America, the death rates are probably within the "acceptable" range statistically. We Americans own more guns than any other country. To compare how many die as the result of a bullet won't compute; to compute, you have to look at the actual percentage of guns owned to accident numbers and resulting deaths.

At the same time this was going down in Conn., some madman in China entered a child's nursery school. Armed with knives, he cut/mutilated over 22 children. Some have digits missing while others had ears, noses slashed off.

Weapons of Mass Destruction: From my perch, it could be anything used to physically or mentally or emotionally wreak hell upon another person/s.

Placing this into a perspective, for me, is to remember there are hundreds of children every day who will die wrongful, painful deaths, often due to "wars" or conflicts in which our own country has sold the very weapons causing the deaths. While this is tragedy, any needless death of a child, where ever in the world, is also a painful tragedy to a parent.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:34 am

Excellent reporting with few errors re the family dynamics of the Lanzas:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/conn-gunman-learned-shoot-mom-article-1.1220893
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:39 am

Morgan Freeman (yeah, I know):
" TURN OFF THE NEWS.......

Morgan Freeman's brilliant take on what happened yesterday :

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed
people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news.""
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:05 am

There is no doubt Adam had some issues, but imo, I think it is plausible that Adam went to the school because usually school personal DO NOT have guns and they have no way to protect themselves or the children EXCEPT for the actions some teachers took that did save lives: putting children in a closet, having them hide under desks etc. Adam knew the death toll would be high, Adam could kill UNTIL LE/swat arrived to take his life or until he ended it himself, and that's exactly what he did. (I too think he was still angry over the altercation that happen there the day before)

If Adam had gone to a mall, rent-a-cops have guns at some malls to shoot back or private citizens may have a gun and a permit for it in their purse or jacket and the death toll might not have been so high, something imo, I think he wanted, to kill as many innocent people as he possibly could.

Although Adam's mother did was not a teacher at Sandy Hope School, Adam's aunt said she "was a substitute teacher."

I too don't think this is a gun control issue, Adam could have made a bomb and thrown it on a school bus, ran a car through a cross walk where children were exiting school. imo, this has everything to do with mental illness, rage, & hate. UNTIL we can recognize EVIL, imo, we remain vulnerable to those that feel they have nothing to lose and want to take innocence with them.

Back to top Go down

Post by justanopinion Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:36 am

I had watched "Anderson Cooper" and that show had specifically stated that they wanted to remember the victims and not the shooter. The one reporter who had used the shooters name frequently in her report was only on the once. Anderson Cooper continually had brought the show back to the Principal and the children. This was the early stages of the media frenzy. Although, he really did focus on the Obama statement.

I felt that the show attempted to do the right thing.

justanopinion
justanopinion

Mood : Angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:49 am

What is unique about Americans is our compassion and willingness to help others in distress. I am posting this if you care to become involved. And if you choose not to send something to Newton, perhaps you will donate to Toys for Tots (Marine Corps) or your local hospital, church, library, school, etc..

Support sites:

Teddys for Newton, Sandy Hook:
http://newtown.patch.com/blog_posts/teddys-for-newtown

Counseling, funeral, scholarship fund:
Local, former student. Raised 27,000 so far.

http://www.crowdrise.com/SHSRelief
http://newtown.patch.com/blog_posts/sandy-hook-elementary-victims-relief-fund-set-up-by-former-shs-student-and-lanza-family-neighbor

Free sketch portrait of the murdered child/faculty:
http://newtown.patch.com/blog_posts/sandy-hook-elementary-school-free-artist-made-portraits

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:51 am

How to assist someone with grief:
http://newtown.patch.com/blog_posts/clearance-to-cry
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:52 am

Open letter to Santa:
http://newtown.patch.com/blog_posts/dear-santa-7cbef59a

" Dear Santa,
You know that I write you, around this time each year.
And I know that you're busy with all the toys and reindeer.

This time I'm not asking for gifts or any Christmas snow
I'm writing to you this year cause there's something you should know.

Look through your stack of letters or perhaps use your list
I know you're oh so busy but I really must insist

There's only about 20 names that you should find.
This is my only wish this year, Santa I hope that you don't mind

Those special boys and girls whose names I do not know
They got taken away today so I'm afraid that you won't go

Those kids may not need you but their mommies surely will
Their daddies' hearts need some mending of the holes it's torn in them

So please take my presents and change them into hugs
And throw them down their chimneys with all your Christmas love.

And for the man who did this while, I want to be so cruel
Give some hugs to his family from me, because I'm sure they'll need them too

Brandon Kelley 12/14/2012"
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:56 am

School to resume on Wed: Different location

http://newtown.patch.com/articles/sandy-hook-students-to-return-to-school-wednesday-but-at-another-location

"We will not enter that building right now," Superintendent Janet Robinson told the News-Times."
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:01 pm

Gunman gained entrance:
" According to Sinko, the gunman shot out glass next to the front door of the school."

http://newtown.patch.com/articles/police-no-motive-emerging-in-newtown-school-shooting
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by justanopinion Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:44 pm

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_22193318/ap-20-year-old-newtown-conn-school-shooting

Unbelievable: A grandmother of the suspect - who is also the mother of Nancy Lanza - was too distraught to speak when reached by phone at her home in Brooksville, Fla.

"I just don't know, and I can't make a comment right now," Dorothy Hanson, 78, said in a shaky voice as she started to cry. She said she hadn't heard anything official about her daughter and grandsons. She declined to comment further and hung up.

This kind of thing with the media angers me... the woman is 78 years old and they call her..... idiots!!
justanopinion
justanopinion

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:06 pm

Anything for a buck, Justanopinion.
Anything for a "Dibs! I got there first!"

I am so glad LE have posted a person for security detail with each of the families to protect their privacy, to protect the little ones.

IIRC, the father of the perp was confronted in his drive when he returned from work! Driving up, there was a man standing there. He rolled down his window and asked him what he wanted; the reporter jumped right in with, "Are you the father of the boy who killed all those kids in Newton, Conn?" The father paled, rolled his window up and drove into his garage. That was how he first heard of what had happened. And he had no idea of the rest of the details!

Cold hearted, IMO.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:37 pm

Is there an end to this insanity?

Worshippers flee Newtown, Conn. church over threat report

SWAT reportedly left with something in red tarp
St._Rose_of_Lima_Church_20121216130631_JPG

NEWTOWN, CT - DECEMBER 14: Connecticut Gov. Dan Malloy speaks to mourners gathererd inside the St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic Church at a vigil service for victims of the Sandy Hook School shooting December 14, 2012 in Newtown, …
Posted: 1:02 PM
Last Updated: 3 minutes ago

By: Associated Press By: Associated Press

NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) -- Worshippers hurriedly left a church Sunday, saying they were told there was a bomb threat not far from the elementary school where 20 kids and six adults were massacred.

At least a dozen police in camouflage SWAT gear and carrying guns arrived at the St. Rose of Lima Church. An Associated Press photographer saw police leave carrying something in a red tarp.

Guns drawn, they surrounded the rectory across the parking lot from the main church building. A large crowd of parishioners gathered outside.

There was no official report from police about the threat or evacuation.

Shooter Adam Lanza, his mother and eight of the child victims attended St. Rose of Lima. It is a Roman Catholic Church with an adjacent school, which Lanza attended briefly.

It's not clear if there actually was a threat or if, like many tragedies, whether it was a hoax or the result of a community on edge.

The church hosted overflow crowds at all three morning masses Sunday.

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/national/worshippers-flee-newtown-conn-church-over-threat-report
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Good site for unusual info:

" CT police say anyone spreading false info about school shooting via social media will be prosecuted http://t.co/j5jsx6Ko"

" @PoliticalTicker : Texas congressman: Principal should have been armed for self-defense http://t.co/7J3DOFTI 5 minutes ago (CNN) -- U.S. Rep. Louie Gohmert said the deadly Connecticut school shooting could have been halted sooner if staff at the school had been equipped with guns. ...

rss.cnn.com"

" Nancy Lanza feared son, Adam, was ‘getting worse’; told friend ‘he was burning himself with a lighter’ - NY Daily News

Less than a week before her son would launch his horrifying attack on Sandy Hook Elementary School, gun-loving mom Nancy Lanza knew "she was losing him" and that "he was getting worse." ...

www.nydailynews.com"

http://inagist.com/all/280381086582837248/
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Interesting "behind the scenes":

Nancy Lanza feared son, Adam, was ‘getting worse’; told friend ‘he was burning himself with a lighter’

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/nancy-lanza-feared-son-adam-worse-article-1.1221505
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:57 pm

" The weapons used in the killings were all registered to Nancy Lanza. Her body was found in her bed, police sources told the Hartford Courant. Contrary to earlier reports, Lanza never worked at Sandy Hook."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/hunt-motive-sandy-hook-elementary-shooting-article-1.1220914
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by justanopinion Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Freckles wrote:Interesting "behind the scenes":

Nancy Lanza feared son, Adam, was ‘getting worse’; told friend ‘he was burning himself with a lighter’

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/nancy-lanza-feared-son-adam-worse-article-1.1221505

JMO JMO JMO It is interesting that the person who related this has chosen to remain anonymous. It is strange the things we remember being said in hindsight... if indeed it was said by his mom... more than that there are so many kids that cut or scarify that do not go out and go on rampages.. I think this is blatant hogwash of an article.. the media is champing at the bit looking for something new to report and dug this up. JMO

oops ... comment not directed at Freckles but at the Media... Thanks Freckles for your research! And the article says the conversation was a year ago!

Last edited by justanopinion on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:04 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : addendum)
justanopinion
justanopinion

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Actually, I am rather peeved at the bomb threat to the church. How much more can these people take? They are already crushed, beaten down and then some fool puts in a bomb threat while they are at church? Gimme a break!

This whole community of 27,000 has had its fabric rent.

I hurt for them. Really, really hurt.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:33 pm

Freckles - has the world gone mad? How much pain can be placed on this community with someone placing a bomb threat? I pray that find out who that POS is and lock him up.

I live in La. and months ago someone threatened bomb threats at LSU Baton Rouge and LSU Shreveport. Of course they dismissed school, but the good news is the FBI had the perp locked up in 2 days, it's a Federal Crime to make any threat since 911. Some that pull that type of hoax find themselves serving time, that's the least that should happen. This threat in Sandy was extremely cruel.

Freckles - thanks for sharing all the links with everyone.

another link to the bomb threat:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/connecticut-shooting-threat-forces-evacuation-newtown-church/story?id=17989753#.UM5UlG_omk0

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:37 pm

I was looking at the social-economic group these killers are from and trying to determine a pattern. I was surprised to discover these killers are NOT from the lower working classes, the down trodden, if you will. Wealthy and educated/intelligent. Often, only child or youngest of two, three children. Here is a partial list. Feel free to add on, if you will:

Patty Hearst, college student, father one of the biggest owners of newspapers world-wide; Hearst Castle;owner of art work; robs a bank and kills a customer.

Columbine school : Both boys above average in intelligence; upper middle class; parents were professional and belonged to social groups in community.

Virgina Tech School: Very intelligent; middle class; viewed as being very fortunate in his opportunities and future; randomly shoot up his dorm, barricaded a building where he shot up classes.

Aurora theater: Intelligent; both parents professionals; father was to testify before Senate re gov't financial accounting; working on upper level college degree.

Sandy Hook : Intelligent; both parents professional; upper middle class; poor relationship with sibling (had not seen brother in over 2 years.)

It can NOT be surmised the families were under job stress of unemployment or financial stress, ie, losing a home.

Find this interesting. Anyone want to add to the list or comment?

Last edited by Freckles on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:47 pm

art tart wrote:Freckles - has the world gone mad? How much pain can be placed on this community with someone placing a bomb threat? I pray that find out who that POS is and lock him up.

I live in La. and months ago someone threatened bomb threats at LSU Baton Rouge and LSU Shreveport. Of course they dismissed school, but the good news is the FBI had the perp locked up in 2 days, it's a Federal Crime to make any threat since 911. Some that pull that type of hoax find themselves serving time, that's the least that should happen. This threat in Sandy was extremely cruel.

Freckles - thanks for sharing all the links with everyone.

another link to the bomb threat:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/connecticut-shooting-threat-forces-evacuation-newtown-church/story?id=17989753#.UM5UlG_omk0

Good link! From that link:
" The lone survivor of her class tricked the gunman by playing dead, the girl's pastor told ABC News, before running out of the school covered in the blood of her classmates.

"She ran out of the school building covered from head to toe with blood and the first thing she said to her mom was, 'Mommy, I'm OK but all my friends are dead,'" said Pastor Jim Solomon. "Somehow in that moment, by God's grace, [she] was able to act as she was already deceased."

Sweet grace be upon this child and her family.

IMO, the school was built in the 1950s, Tear it down. Probably was slated for asbestos removal anyway. Tear it down. Use the land for something other than a school.

May the peace of God, which passes all understanding, be upon this community.
May they stand for each other in their time of need. True need.

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:49 pm

art tart---
One of our local jr highs has had FIVE bomb threats since school started this year. FIVE! Every one taken seriously; every child evacuated each time. Special needs children being pushed in wheel chairs to the evacuation centers.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next