Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jodi Arias--Trial for the murder of Travis Alexander #20

+32
18thcenturylady
Bmore
Nene_Please
sitemama
sassy5d
Sarainbc
renatae
FireandBlood
Alessandra_Deux
Ann - Tx
justanopinion
lostyou
Bo
glazier
keikikiki
spammie
Pianist
auman58
FystyAngel
auburn99girl
gsweater
ustwin
jerseyjul1
Moosiesmama
yellow bike
hello clarice
olivier57
carlakay
Weeziethm
Junebug
Mrskinger
Freckles
36 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Jodi Arias--Trial for the murder of Travis Alexander #20 Empty Jodi Arias--Trial for the murder of Travis Alexander #20

Post by Bmore Wed May 08, 2013 1:49 pm

I'm sure Dt can ask for whatever they want doesn't mean they'll get it... once we get the verdict the trial is over and we don't have to worry about appeals... Girl must of gotten ahold of some toilet wine while thinking up this one... Why in God's green earth would she get to know what impact TA's death had on people prior to them talking about it... once found guilty i thought it was part of your punishment to have to hear how your actions affected people...

I don't think JM can mingle with the jury, I think anything needing to be handled would be done in the court room not jury room...
Bmore
Bmore

Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Jodi Arias--Trial for the murder of Travis Alexander #20 Empty Re: Jodi Arias--Trial for the murder of Travis Alexander #20

Post by 18thcenturylady Wed May 08, 2013 1:50 pm

carlakay wrote:
Freckles wrote:
What does this mean?
JA has been mouthing off so the Freedom of Speech, protected by OUR First Amendment, applies more so to them, as well! Shocked

this has blown my mind! Someone PLEASE tell me these POS murderers do not have the right to know anything the impact statements may say!

CarlaKay,
See my post above about this. I have NEVER heard of this being the case. Maybe this is something the defense is trying because they try anything and everything, but seriously, I don't think that the Alexander's could be censored in any way, AFTER Hodi is convicted. As I said above, if I were in their shoes, I 'd have Juan hook me up with a great attorney right now!

18thcenturylady

Back to top Go down

Jodi Arias--Trial for the murder of Travis Alexander #20 Empty Re: Jodi Arias--Trial for the murder of Travis Alexander #20

Post by Bmore Wed May 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Cesar says the dog will love you more if you give it boundries and structure... it's looking for you to do it and if you don't it will... lol
Bmore
Bmore

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed May 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Carla-
Time out the dog.
Put the dog on leash, in kennel, in closed run, cage, etc..
Let the dog know your grandson HAS priority over him.
Let him know YOU are the pack leader!
Freckles
Freckles

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed May 08, 2013 1:54 pm

Mari 68 wrote:
Bmore wrote:Wild About Trial@WildAboutTrial

Juan just headed back into the door where the jurors go. Blue shirt and blue tie. Was smiling amd in a good mood. #JodiArias

Weird. Is Juan allowed to go in there and talk to them???

No one talks to the judge or the jury without both teams present.
Period.

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrskinger Wed May 08, 2013 1:55 pm

She is still being hurtful to this family after all she has done ? I think that is why everyone had such high emotions in this case. Such a horrible terrible evil human being trying to lie and manipulate her way out of something she is 1000% guilty of and setting all kind of rules on how she should be represented . Hate is a strong word but I think it applies here .
Mrskinger
Mrskinger

Mood : Vacation

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed May 08, 2013 1:56 pm

--- Seems they are getting ready for the next phase?
Things must be moving along rather nicely, IMO.

TWEET

jenbernHLN 61 women on death row. Segment w @vinniepolitan on today at 4p. #hln instagram.com/p/ZDypcooDJv/
about 1 minute ago

BethKaras Jurors resumed deliberations at 12:57 pm ET/9:57 am in Phoenix. #jodiarias
4 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

BethKaras Martinez just left with his office's victims' advocate. #jodiarias 5 minutes ago

BethKaras Martinez just went in the side door to the courtroom or chambers.

elizabetherwin Prosecutor Juan Martinez just showed up.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmore Wed May 08, 2013 1:57 pm

he was there yesterday tho....
Bmore
Bmore

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed May 08, 2013 1:58 pm

Mrskinger wrote:She is still being hurtful to this family after all she has done ? I think that is why everyone had such high emotions in this case. Such a horrible terrible evil human being trying to lie and manipulate her way out of something she is 1000% guilty of and setting all kind of rules on how she should be represented . Hate is a strong word but I think it applies here .
She loved him and wanted to be with him forever; she wanted to name her children after him. Didn't you hear? barf Obsessive, IMO. That is not love.

She is the name of EVIL.
I keep thinking of the pig in Amityville Horror.
It, too, was named.... Jodi.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Junebug Wed May 08, 2013 2:00 pm

On a side note, as this wait goes on aside from the families/loved ones, this has to be tough on the alternates-still under admonison.
Junebug
Junebug

Back to top Go down

Post by Weeziethm Wed May 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Re the defense motion on victim impact statements. AZLawyer on WS posted an answer to the effect that the defense is entitled to counter V.I.S. One example she gave was if someone says "My dad was my best friend and I miss him so much". The defense would be entitled to counter that - perhaps showing the son got a Restraining Order at an earlier date. Another she gave was if the V.I.S. was "I haven't played golf in 5 years because I've been so distraught"...the defense could show pictures of the person playing golf.

Please don't shoot the messenger! I don't agree with this either, but apparently there is legal precedence and they are "entitled".

And entitlement is right down JA's alley, donchaknow.
Weeziethm
Weeziethm

Mood : Party

Back to top Go down

Post by 18thcenturylady Wed May 08, 2013 2:01 pm

This is very interesting. It is from a legal blog. This references victim impact statements in the state of Iowa. I have no idea what Arizona permits. I still think that Judge Stephens would pretty much let the Alexander's say whatever they wish to, but if I were Travis' family, I would get an attorney today, and get some advice and protection of my rights as far as Jodi and her team go.

Do Unchallengeable Victim Impact Statements Violate Confrontation Clause?

17 Sunday Mar 2013

Posted by David Cmelik in Uncategorized

by David A. Cmelik

A movement to vindicate “victims’ rights” has led to the insertion of policy and personnel into the criminal justice system that is historically without precedent. It is an apparent backlash to constitutional protections for criminal defendants. The rhetorical question is, of course, if they (meaning “the criminals”) have rights, why don’t we? The answer, often elusive in this context, is that under our novel system of jurisprudence, the accused is innocent until proven guilty so they aren’t criminals until and unless proven so. Moreover, to get to that point, the protections many, though not all, hold dear are necessary to ensure truth and justice. That, of course, is just so much drivel according to get-tough-on-crime types.

Though there are no protections written into the US or Iowa Constitutions for the chief complaining witnesses in criminal prosecutions, the Iowa Legislature has passed a so-called Victims Bill of Rights located at Iowa Code Chapter 915. This statute is in keeping with a widespread national movement to honor the rights of crime victims.

In Iowa, Victim “means a person who has suffered physical, emotional, or financial harm as the result of a public offense or a delinquent act, other than a simple misdemeanor, committed in this state. ‘Victim’ also includes the immediate family members of a victim who died or was rendered incompetent as a result of the offense or who was under eighteen years of age at the time of the offense.” Iowa Code 915.10(3).

Under Iowa law, victims may make an unchallenged speech at sentencing, with neither scientific foundation nor corroboration, to their mental and physical trauma as well as their financial loss in so-called victims’ rights statements without cross-examination. Though many states and federal courts have deemed victims’ rights statements valuable sources of information for the sentencing judge, there is a move afoot, following the landmark Crawford decision in 2004, to recognize that criminal defendants have a right to confront overly exuberant and hyperbolic victims rights statements at sentencing.

The Legislature, driven by a political desire to appear tough on crime, has overridden the traditional function of the adversarial process of cross-examination and confrontation with the edict that, “[a] victim shall not be placed under oath and subjected to cross-examination at the sentencing hearing.”

Justice Scalia has called the right to cross-examination the “greatest legal engine ever invented for the discovery of truth.” Protecting victim impact statements from cross-examination makes it less likely the record will be balanced or complete.

Victim impact statements in Iowa may include:

A. Itemization of any economic loss suffered by the victim as a result of the offense.

B. Identification of any physical injury suffered by the victim as a result of the offense with detail as to its seriousness and permanence.

C. Description of any change in the victim’s personal welfare or familial relationships as a result of the offense.

D. Description of any request for psychological services initiated by the victim or the victim’s family as a result of the offense.

E. Any other information related to the impact of the offense upon the victim.

Some, not all, civilian witnesses who consider themselves victims in criminal cases are confused about the purpose of a victim impact statement. They sometimes proxy catharsis, or, the psychological venting of rage for therapeutic purposes, for the valuable information sought by sentencing judges. The purpose of a sentencing is not the therapy of a civilian witness. It is to provide the best individual, rehabilitative, and, yes, punitive remedy for the offense in question. Taking therapy into the courtroom has become bizarre and unhelpful.

I once had to sit through a victim impact statement that included the psychological damage endured because of a third degree burglary. The juvenile defendant had helped himself to some food and beverage in the refrigerator and found the keys to an unattended pickup truck. Naturally, he took it for a joyride. Ultimately, he pleaded guilty and the sentencing allowed for a victim impact statement from someone who was not even personally present during the crime. She was speaking on behalf of someone else: the family pet.

I can’t speak for everyone in the courtroom that day—but the judge didn’t cut her off. I have heard of instances where a now-retired jurist interrupted victim impact statements to redirect what was described as “off course.” Other times, victim impact statements unfairly prejudicial to a defendant can go unchecked—for example, when a victim alleges uncharged crimes or uncorroborated medical or psychological diagnoses. Since the “witness” is unsworn and there is no cross-examination, there’s no way to question the veracity of the statement. Moreover, the victims’ rights statute doesn’t require medical evidence although victims may, if they wish, provide it. Such records are protected by federal medical privacy statutes and Iowa Code Section 622.10. It would be nearly impossible to verify the truth or falsity of such a statement except by cross examination. There must be a mechanism to challenge such veracity. At present, in the State of Iowa, there is none.

Some state courts, like Arkansas and North Carolina, have extended the right of confrontation to non-capital defendants when they are sentenced by juries. These courts have rejected the reasoning of federal circuits relying on a 49-year old due process decision, Williams v. New York, as outdated and inapplicable to the Confrontation Clause question—especially now that the US Supreme Court has expanded such rights in light the Crawford decision.

It is still an open question here whether the right to confront your accuser should extend to victim impact statements. Until an appeals court rules otherwise, victim impact statements are by statute insulated from the right of confrontation.

18thcenturylady

Back to top Go down

Post by Junebug Wed May 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Weeziethm wrote:Re the defense motion on victim impact statements. AZLawyer on WS posted an answer to the effect that the defense is entitled to counter V.I.S. One example she gave was if someone says "My dad was my best friend and I miss him so much". The defense would be entitled to counter that - perhaps showing the son got a Restraining Order at an earlier date. Another she gave was if the V.I.S. was "I haven't played golf in 5 years because I've been so distraught"...the defense could show pictures of the person playing golf.

Please don't shoot the messenger! I don't agree with this either, but apparently there is legal precedence and they are "entitled".

For sure!
Junebug
Junebug

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmore Wed May 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Weezie i get it... some people will embellish just to make sure the convict will get the worst possible sentence and they have a right to defend themselves against lies...
Bmore
Bmore

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed May 08, 2013 2:04 pm

Deanna Reid:

"...I feel good about getting on the stand and standing up for Travis and just telling it like it is,” Reid told Dr. Drew. “I knew that the defense wanted me to react. That's what Jodi wanted. She wanted to embarrass me. She wanted me to be humiliated. So I kept telling myself, 'I'm not going to give her what she wants.'... "

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/05/08/deanna-reid-jodi-wanted-embarrass-me
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by 18thcenturylady Wed May 08, 2013 2:05 pm

Weeziethm wrote:Re the defense motion on victim impact statements. AZLawyer on WS posted an answer to the effect that the defense is entitled to counter V.I.S. One example she gave was if someone says "My dad was my best friend and I miss him so much". The defense would be entitled to counter that - perhaps showing the son got a Restraining Order at an earlier date. Another she gave was if the V.I.S. was "I haven't played golf in 5 years because I've been so distraught"...the defense could show pictures of the person playing golf.

I would think that the Alexanders would want to emphatically state that the defense in this case manufactured and propagated a lie about Travis being a pedophile, and if I were them I'd bring in any big guns I could to dispel what is merely an outrageous lie of the defendant. This defense could find NO ONE to come to court and in any way substantiate their disgusting allegations, so I don't think the family has to even concern themselves that they will try that. IF they did, it would only make Jodi look more despicable in the eyes of the jurors...

18thcenturylady

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmore Wed May 08, 2013 2:06 pm

DR can feel good knowing that all aspects of her relationships with TA were more meaningful then what JA had with him...
Bmore
Bmore

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed May 08, 2013 2:07 pm

Whos's giving money to JA?

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/05/08/whos-giving-jodi-arias-alexander-family-money
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by 18thcenturylady Wed May 08, 2013 2:07 pm

Freckles wrote:Deanna Reid:

"...I feel good about getting on the stand and standing up for Travis and just telling it like it is,” Reid told Dr. Drew. “I knew that the defense wanted me to react. That's what Jodi wanted. She wanted to embarrass me. She wanted me to be humiliated. So I kept telling myself, 'I'm not going to give her what she wants.'... "

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/05/08/deanna-reid-jodi-wanted-embarrass-me

I saw the entire interview with Deanna Reid last night, and it was fantastic. I highly recommend you find a video of it in it's entirety and watch it.

18thcenturylady

Back to top Go down

Post by 18thcenturylady Wed May 08, 2013 2:16 pm

Again, as far as impact statements go, and what will be allowed, I think that this particular judge would let Travis' family pretty much say what they wish to. Knowing what I do about the family, I know that they are being advised as to content of those statements, and I also think this judge is aware of how much the family has had to bear for months listening to Jodi's filthy lies.
I expect the Alexander's statements would reflect class and restraint. By this I mean I know they would not resort to name calling, etc. I think they most likely would tell a little about what Travis was really like, and about how his loss has affected them and so many others. I would also guess that they would have some strong things to say about the character assassination, and they would also probably say something about how he suffered during the savage attack that took his life.
I think the family must have gotten some advice already and must be prepared for this day, should it come. I still think they need a lawyer, because if I were them, I would fight giving ANYTHING to Jodi or her team, if I possibly could.

I also think that JODI is the one behind her defense team's asking for info on the Alexander's impact statement.

Last edited by 18thcenturylady on Wed May 08, 2013 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

18thcenturylady

Back to top Go down

Post by carlakay Wed May 08, 2013 2:17 pm

thanks for all the advice you guys..I am a HUGE fan of the dog whisperer and have used his methods with all my dogs before.. I own a jack russell terrier that would either pee on or bite ya the second ya walked in the room when he first got here and I used the muzzle method for him but at least with him there would be a warning behaviour before the strike so never had to deal with sudden outburst like this pup has been exhibiting for the last week. Instinct tells me he is just a lil scared and worried bout his rank around here..there is a training academy in town I am going to see if I can get us into..until then he is on lock down..lol
carlakay
carlakay

Mood : Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by carlakay Wed May 08, 2013 2:20 pm

I dont know if I'm off here..prob consider my state of mind today..but isn't the fact Jodi is stressing enough about what may get said by her victims loved ones BEFORE she is sentenced a real good sign that she is no longer confident in her own words.."NO JURY WILL EVER CONVICT ME."
carlakay
carlakay

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed May 08, 2013 2:23 pm

Deanna Reid:
The truth of Travis...

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/05/07/deanna-reid-travis-gave-people-benefit-doubt?clusterId=1303#videoplayer
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmore Wed May 08, 2013 2:24 pm

Carla of coarse he's insecure, you cut his balls off... lol

Max my boy you can't say boo too, he's so mild mannered but Zoey is a crazy nut... I yell guuuurrrrlll and point my finger at her and she'll calm down for a few minutes... lol
Bmore
Bmore

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmore Wed May 08, 2013 2:27 pm

TA made a will for work and told DR Napoleon and his office library are his most important things and he trusts her to take care of them, the rest of his stuff went to his gma...
Bmore
Bmore

Back to top Go down

Post by olivier57 Wed May 08, 2013 2:33 pm

Jury has a verdict !

olivier57

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmore Wed May 08, 2013 2:33 pm

verdict now.......
Bmore
Bmore

Back to top Go down

Post by Weeziethm Wed May 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Are you kidding me?
Weeziethm
Weeziethm

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmore Wed May 08, 2013 2:35 pm

i'm sick.... i've waited but feel ill.... please God blessing dude at the taco bell light be a omen!!!!
Bmore
Bmore

Back to top Go down

Post by olivier57 Wed May 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Weeziethm wrote:Are you kidding me?

No, will be read at 1:30. From Chris Williams/Michelle Lee

olivier57

Back to top Go down

Post by Junebug Wed May 08, 2013 2:36 pm

YAY! Let's hope for what I think we all want!
Junebug
Junebug

Back to top Go down

Post by Mari 68 Wed May 08, 2013 2:37 pm

wtf???

is this for reals????

Mari 68
Mari 68

Mood : Scared 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Weeziethm Wed May 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Please be right and just. Please be M1. Prayers for the Alexander family.

RC family..... Jodi Arias--Trial for the murder of Travis Alexander #20 839314
Weeziethm
Weeziethm

Back to top Go down

Post by Mari 68 Wed May 08, 2013 2:37 pm

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

yes yes yes yes yes

OMMMMMGGGGGGGGG
Mari 68
Mari 68

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmore Wed May 08, 2013 2:38 pm

yes mari, don't fall
Bmore
Bmore

Back to top Go down

Post by Mari 68 Wed May 08, 2013 2:38 pm

18th Century????

I want your hubby's phone number RIGHT NOW!!!!

If things don't go well - I need to get ahold of him to run home to you

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Mari 68
Mari 68

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmore Wed May 08, 2013 2:38 pm

what time eastern
Bmore
Bmore

Back to top Go down

Post by carlakay Wed May 08, 2013 2:38 pm

Bmore wrote:Carla of coarse he's insecure, you cut his balls off... lol

Max my boy you can't say boo too, he's so mild mannered but Zoey is a crazy nut... I yell guuuurrrrlll and point my finger at her and she'll calm down for a few minutes... lol

well it had to be done and he aint got a clue now but I did feel just aweful bout it at the time. I just spoke to my daughter (grandsons mom) and hubby..they are on the road to move my youngest back from college and they both reminded me of how aweful the JRT (MyMadMax) was when we got him. He was 4 months old..super aggressive to everything and not potty trained..oldest daughter brought him home and despite my saying NO the hubby allowed her to keep him.By that Christmas he was my dog and all his aweful habits were gone. I had forgotten most of that and apparently lost my confidence in myself too.
I been an emotional wreck this week so I am betting this poor pup is sensing that and it could be wth he acting so nuts..wish they would just make a decision already!
carlakay
carlakay

Back to top Go down

Post by Mari 68 Wed May 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Bmore wrote:yes mari, don't fall

OMGGGG

My effing phone STILL hasn't alerted me!!!

Stupid ass text message system

such BS

so GLAD I still had the Reality Chatter page open

Mari 68
Mari 68

Back to top Go down

Post by carlakay Wed May 08, 2013 2:39 pm

omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! um I got no notification from CBS btw
carlakay
carlakay

Back to top Go down

Post by 18thcenturylady Wed May 08, 2013 2:39 pm

VERDICT IS REACHED!!!!!

18thcenturylady

Back to top Go down

Post by Mari 68 Wed May 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Bmore wrote:yes mari, don't fall

somebody get 18th!!!

schittttttttt

is she out hoeing cow schitt??????

OMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Mari 68
Mari 68

Back to top Go down

Post by 18thcenturylady Wed May 08, 2013 2:40 pm

VERDICT WILL BE READ AT 4:30 EASTERN TIME!

18thcenturylady

Back to top Go down

Post by Mari 68 Wed May 08, 2013 2:40 pm

18thcenturylady wrote:VERDICT IS REACHED!!!!!

you're here

whew
Mari 68
Mari 68

Back to top Go down

Post by Weeziethm Wed May 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Bmore wrote:what time eastern

4:30 pm eastern
Weeziethm
Weeziethm

Back to top Go down

Post by Mari 68 Wed May 08, 2013 2:41 pm

carlakay wrote:omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! um I got no notification from CBS btw

Me neither. Still haven't.

effers
Mari 68
Mari 68

Back to top Go down

Post by carlakay Wed May 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Bmore wrote:i'm sick.... i've waited but feel ill.... please God blessing dude at the taco bell light be a omen!!!!

guess I dont need to text ya now huh? CBS did not text notification.. Vinnie aint tweeted and spongebob is ruling my tv today..lol
carlakay
carlakay

Back to top Go down

Post by 18thcenturylady Wed May 08, 2013 2:41 pm

WE ALL NEED TO KEEP PRAYING THAT THESE JURORS DID RIGHT BY TRAVIS AND HIS FAMILY

18thcenturylady

Back to top Go down

Post by Weeziethm Wed May 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Me neither. No CBS alert lol

But we got the RC Alert..... Cool
Weeziethm
Weeziethm

Back to top Go down

Post by hello clarice Wed May 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Jury has reached a verdict. It will be read at 1:30 PST
hello clarice
hello clarice

Mood : Scared

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next