Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elderly Man's Checks Stolen; 'Doctor' Suspected

Go down

Elderly Man's Checks Stolen; 'Doctor' Suspected Empty Elderly Man's Checks Stolen; 'Doctor' Suspected

Post by Guest Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:00 am

Elderly Man's Checks Stolen; 'Doctor' Suspected

ATLANTA -- Atlanta police said they hope to arrest a trio of check cashing crooks – one of whom dresses to look like a doctor.

The three are suspected of passing over $10,000 worth of bogus checks that were stolen from an elderly man and his wife.

It all began at a Bank of America branch when a man wearing what looked like a white doctor’s coat cashed a big check. Then a woman cashed another check on the same account, and then another man did the same thing.

“Total of about $1,600 were fraudulently written and presented to the bank for cash and they cashed it,” said Det. Anthony Foster.

The checks had been stolen from 92-year-old Tom Bruner.

“What happened was they apparently were intercepted and I found out when I got home from vacation,” said Bruner.

Even though Bank of America closed Bruner’s original account in December, the thieves continued to write bad checks on it over and over again.

Bruner showed Channel 2 Action News reporter Tom Regan his overstuffed file of letters demanding payment for bounced checks. They come from major store chains, such as Kroger, Publix, Target and Kohls.

He’s gotten so many letters, he drew up his own form letter to send back to the stores explaining that it isn’t him writing the checks.

A part of the letter reads, “Long story short, you have been victimized by forgers. I’m sorry.”

Though Bruner hasn’t lost any money, he believes the stores are out $10,000 in merchandise. He said he’s spent many long hours dealing with the mess and he sees no end in sight.

Only about 50 of the 200 checks stolen from him have been used. “I don’t think it’s going to end in my lifetime, let me put it that way,” he said.

Back to top Go down