Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Brewer, South Florida Teen Set on Fire -- Matthew Bent Convicted Of Aggravated Battery

+5
angiefly2
Alessandra_Deux
tesstruhart
Piper
Julie
9 posters

Go down

Michael Brewer, South Florida Teen Set on Fire -- Matthew Bent Convicted Of Aggravated Battery Empty Michael Brewer, South Florida Teen Set on Fire -- Matthew Bent Convicted Of Aggravated Battery

Post by Julie Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Why does stuff like this even happen? Mad
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

September 22, 2010 1:43 PM

Michael Brewer, South Florida Teen Set on Fire, Completes Treatment at Burn Clinic

Posted by Caroline Black

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (CBS/AP) Michael Brewer, the South Florida teenager who was allegedly set on fire by three classmates, has officially completed his treatment at a burn clinic.

snipped from article:
And when, a mere five months after his attack, a fellow Deerfield Beach student, Josie Lou Ratley, was attacked in front of the school he was there by her bedside giving her and her family hope even as she lay in a coma.

Read more:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20017259-504083.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life
Mood : Musical

Back to top Go down

Michael Brewer, South Florida Teen Set on Fire -- Matthew Bent Convicted Of Aggravated Battery Empty Re: Michael Brewer, South Florida Teen Set on Fire -- Matthew Bent Convicted Of Aggravated Battery

Post by Julie Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:57 pm

Michael Brewer Update: Boy Burned by Bullies Celebrates 16th Birthday, Calls Attackers "Jerks"

October 12, 2010 1:23 PM
Posted by Edecio Martinez

FT. LAUDERDALE (CBS/WFOR) Michael Brewer blew out the candles on his birthday cake as a crowd cheered and the media crowded around the young man who had turned 16. The celebration came just one day before the one year anniversary of the day he nearly died.

PICTURES: Michael Brewer's Remarkable Recovery (Warning: Some Graphic Content)

"I think about it all of the time," Michael Brewer, Sr., the teen's dad, told CBS affiliate WFOR. "But I'm just glad he's still with me."

Brewer is lucky to be alive. Police say three teenagers threw alcohol on him and struck a match, engulfing Michael in flames.

Read more:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20019332-504083.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life

Back to top Go down

Michael Brewer, South Florida Teen Set on Fire -- Matthew Bent Convicted Of Aggravated Battery Empty Re: Michael Brewer, South Florida Teen Set on Fire -- Matthew Bent Convicted Of Aggravated Battery

Post by Piper Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:19 pm

The torture and pain Michael has been through is pretty hard to imagine. This is a true milestone for him.
Happy 16th Michael!! Michael Brewer, South Florida Teen Set on Fire -- Matthew Bent Convicted Of Aggravated Battery 605764
Piper
Piper

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart Mon May 28, 2012 2:19 pm

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-michael-brewer-developments-20120527,0,3124806.story?page=1

Trial is about to start. Jury selection to start on Thursday.
tesstruhart
tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Mon May 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Thanks Tess!
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart Thu May 31, 2012 5:18 pm

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-michael-brewer-jury-selection-20120531,0,1037914.story

Update...jury selection seems slow...not continuing til next thurs.
tesstruhart
tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:40 pm

Jurors hear from co-defendants in Michael Brewer burning trial

By Rafael A. Olmeda, Sun Sentinel
9:18 p.m. EDT, June 13, 2012

VIDEO: Michael Brewer's mom on the witness stand

FORT LAUDERDALE—
Two of the teenagers accused of attempted murder in the 2009 burning of Michael Brewer were called to testify against their former co-defendant Wednesday, but lawyers on both sides struggled to reconcile the testimony with their theories of the crime.

Denver Colorado "DC" Jarvis, who admitted pouring a jug of what he believed to be rubbing alcohol on Brewer during a confrontation at the Lime Tree Village apartment complex in Deerfield Beach, told prosecutors he was acting on an offer of "$10 to $5" from Matthew Bent, who is on trial for second-degree attempted murder.

But Jarvis, now 17, also flatly contradicted the sworn testimony of numerous witnesses. He denied coming to Brewer's house with Bent the day before the burning to provoke Brewer's father, denied being the first to pick up the liquid-filled container he and his peers found minutes before he poured its contents on Brewer, and denied that Bent was even near Brewer at the apartment complex parking lot until seconds before the fire was lit.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-michael-brewer-defendants-testify-20120613,0,6802573.story
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by angiefly2 Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:55 pm

Does anyone know if the trial will be aired on television or the internet? TIA
angiefly2
angiefly2

Mood : Excited

Back to top Go down

Post by summerthyme Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:55 pm

hey angie - strangest thing happened about 2 hrs.ago, I clicked on cnnlive and there was the "burned teen" trial. I watched about 15
minutes of it before it shut down for the day. The judge said the jurors should be back tomorrow at 1:45. I will be looking for it to be on then.

Maybe we should do a shout-out to get everyone onboard here - since Sandusky won't be on again til Monday.

Chickiebutt is trying to teach me to multitask Very Happy ..this might be just the right time and place.

ohoh - I was so wrong. It is the Matthew Bent trial I was watching - but I saw Michael Bremer testify - the 15 minutes I as able to watch. Matthew is one of the def. accused of setting Michael on fire.

Last edited by summerthyme on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : gave you wrong info)
summerthyme
summerthyme

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickenbutt Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Summer, you are too funny.....gotta figure out that split screen thing.
Chickenbutt
Chickenbutt

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:07 pm

hi all, This trial is downtown from me, but I can't go as I am babysitting. I wish I was free to go. Out of the three kids that were involved with this, two took pleas and are serving time now. This kid wouldn't take the plea and I know his attorney wants us all to believe he is just an angel. NOT...this was a horror show when it happened. Michael Brewer has had a rough road but he looks great. I know they moved from Broward county up to Palm Beach county to give him a better chance in school. The same school district produced another case where a kid got pissed off at a girl who allegedly texted something about the kids dead brother. He went home got steel toed boots hunted her down and kicked her head in. She lived, but she is brain damaged and is just very simple now. Kids scare me sometimes.
tesstruhart
tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:48 pm

Michael Brewer makes surprising revelation in Deerfield Beach burning testimony

9:21 p.m. EDT, June 14, 2012
By Rafael A. Olmeda, Sun Sentinel

VIDEO: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/videogallery/70470571/News/Michael-Brewer-testifies

FORT LAUDERDALE - Michael Brewer made a surprising revelation Thursday when he took the stand in the attempted murder trial of Matthew Bent, the former schoolmate accused of instigating the 2009 attack that nearly cost Brewer his life.

Brewer, 17, who later left the Broward County courtroom in tears, began his testimony by telling jurors that the $40 debt Bent had been trying to collect from him was for a bowl used to smoke marijuana. In previous statements to investigators and lawyers, Brewer had said the debt was for a "Little Mermaid" video game that he never agreed to buy.

"He tried to sell me a bowl I didn't want," Brewer said Thursday.

Defense lawyer Johnny McCray pounced on the statement, accusing Brewer of lying under oath.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-michael-brewer-testifies-20120614,0,3146699.story
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:23 pm

http://www.local10.com/news/Closing-arguments-in-Bent-trial-postponed/-/1717324/15121210/-/5q98u8z/-/index.html

No court because of air conditioning problem. Monday for closing arguments.
tesstruhart
tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:55 pm

tesstruhart wrote:http://www.local10.com/news/Closing-arguments-in-Bent-trial-postponed/-/1717324/15121210/-/5q98u8z/-/index.html

No court because of air conditioning problem. Monday for closing arguments.

tesstruhart, interesting so close to your home, I always liked Brewer & felt so sorry for him & his family, it's an unbelievable painful ordeal he has lived through. Do you know if his family could sue the other kid's families in a Civil Suit of if they tried? I know laws differ in different States as to the parent's responsibilty for the action of their kids.

I can certainly understand why the family moved to get a new start, different school, new friends.

I am in La. & my air is out today, I see why the jury went home. LOL!

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:06 pm

Jury begins deliberating in Fla. burned teen case

Posted on Monday, 06.18.12
By SUZETTE LABOY
Associated Press

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A teenager accused of orchestrating an attack that left his classmate in flames was trying to sidestep the blame when he offered others money to hurt the boy, prosecutors said in closing arguments Monday.

"Don't let him get away with letting other people do his dirty work for him," Assistant State Attorney Maria Schneider said. "Matthew Bent was the reason why this crime happened. He was offering people money to beat Michael, not to scare Michael."

Bent, 17, is charged with attempted second-degree murder in the 2009 attack on Michael Brewer.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/18/2855289/trial-to-resume-in-fla-burned.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Mood : Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Fla. teen guilty of battery in flame attack

Posted on Tuesday, 06.19.12
By SUZETTE LABOY
Associated Press

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A teenager accused of orchestrating an attack that left his classmate in flames was convicted Tuesday of aggravated battery after jurors decided against more serious charges.

Matthew "Zeke" Bent faced a charge of attempted second-degree murder after prosecutors say he offered friends money in 2009 to harm Michael Brewer, who was doused in rubbing alcohol and set on fire. The six jurors, who deliberated for just over a day, had the option of finding him guilty of a lesser offense.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/19/2857766/fla-teen-guilty-of-aggravated.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:23 pm

Judge in Fla. teen burning case steps aside

Posted on Monday, 07.30.12
The Associated Press

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- The judge presiding over the case of a Florida teenager set on fire by middle school classmates has stepped aside from the case.

Defense attorneys asked Broward Circuit Judge Michael Robinson to recuse himself, and he issued an order doing so last week. Their motion contended Robinson improperly communicated with a juror outside the presence of prosecutors and defense attorneys and also that the judge appeared biased against the defense.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/30/2921361/judge-in-fla-teen-burning-case.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:22 pm

New judge to hold hearings in Brewer case

BY DANIEL CHANG
July 31, 2012

The trial is over, but legal maneuvers continue in the case of Matthew Bent, the Deerfield Beach teenager convicted in June of aggravated battery for inciting the burning attack of Michael Brewer in October 2009.

Bent, who faces a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison, had been scheduled for sentencing on Aug. 10 but now he must wait longer after Broward Circuit Judge Michael A. Robinson, who presided over the trial, recused himself.

Broward Circuit Judge Matthew I. Destry now presides over the case, and on Tuesday he scheduled a status conference for Aug. 17 — without setting dates to address several outstanding issues, including a motion for a new trial submitted by Bent’s defense attorneys.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/31/2923688/new-judge-to-hold-hearings-in.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:48 am

Judge: No new trial in Fla. teen burning case

September 18, 2012 13:58 GMT
By CURT ANDERSON AP Legal Affairs Writer

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) -- A Florida judge has refused, for now, to grant a new trial for the alleged ringleader in an attack in which a teenager was drenched in alcohol and set on fire.

A Broward County judge ruled Tuesday that 18-year-old Matthew Bent does not deserve retrial in the 2009 attack on Michael Brewer, who was then 15. But another hearing is set on potential problems with jury deliberations that could also lead to a new trial.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Judge-No-new-trial-in-Fla-teen-burning-case-3874010.php
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:11 pm

Judge denies — in part — request for new trial in Michael Brewer burning case
Michael Brewer, South Florida Teen Set on Fire -- Matthew Bent Convicted Of Aggravated Battery Tybos.St.56
Matthew Bent, who is accused of setting Michael Brewer on fire in Oct. 2009, waits for the jury to enter the courtroom during his first day of trial at the Broward County Courthouse in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., on June 12. Susan Stocker / Sun Sentinel / MCT

Posted on Tuesday, 09.18.12
By DANIEL CHANG
dchang@MiamiHerald.com

A Broward County Circuit Court judge early Tuesday denied in part a request for a new trial by Matthew Bent, the Deerfield Beach teen convicted by a jury in June of aggravated battery for inciting the burning attack of Michael Brewer in October 2009.

Broward Circuit Judge Matthew I. Destry ruled Bent, 18, was not entitled to a new trial based on his defense attorney’s claim that the witnesses who testified in the June trial were not credible.

However, Destry said he may grant a new trial based on allegations of jury misconduct made by one of the jurors. He will interview all of the jurors on Oct. 12.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/18/3008305/judge-will-rule-tuesday-on-request.html#storylink=cpy
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:49 pm

No new trial in Michael Brewer burning case
Michael Brewer, South Florida Teen Set on Fire -- Matthew Bent Convicted Of Aggravated Battery 72992994

Matthew Bent is seen with his attorney Johnny McCrea after they learned that the jury misconduct charge had been denied Oct. 22 at the Broward County Courthouse in Ft. Lauderdale. (Joe Cavaretta, Sun Sentinel / October 21, 2012)

By Rafael Olmeda, Sun Sentinel
7:54 p.m. EDT, October 22, 2012

A Broward judge shot down Matthew Bent's request for a new trial Monday, ruling that there wasn't enough proof of juror misconduct to set aside the jury's verdict in the burning of Michael Brewer.

But four months after Bent was convicted of aggravated battery in the notorious 2009 case, a sentencing date is still nowhere in sight.

One juror later claimed that she wanted to acquit Bent of all charges but felt pressured by the others to reach a compromise verdict. She also accused fellow jurors of discussing aspects of the case before the trial was over and of injecting race into the deliberations.

Read more:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-matthew-bent-new-trial-decision-20121022-7,0,7124375.story
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:50 am

Sentencing Thursday for Teen Convicted in Brewer Burning Case

Matthew Bent facing 15 years in prison for aggravated battery conviction

By Brian Hamacher | Thursday, Dec 20, 2012 | Updated 8:54 AM EST

View more videos at: http://nbcmiami.com.

The South Florida teen convicted for his role in the fire attack on classmate Michael Brewer faces sentencing Thursday.

Matthew Bent, 18, is scheduled to be sentenced by Circuit Judge Matthew Destry at 1:30 p.m.

Bent was convicted on an aggravated battery charge in the 2009 attack on Brewer and faces a maximum of 15 years behind bars. Brewer, who was 15 at the time of the attack, survived but suffered severe burns.

Read more:

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Sentencing-Thursday-for-Teen-Convicted-in-Brewer-Burning-Case-184258481.html
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by sitemama Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:48 pm

Matthew Bent « CBS Miami

miami.cbslocal.com/tag/matthew-bent/

Teen Sentenced To 11 Years In Prison In Brewer Burning Case. Eighteen-year-old Matthew Bent will spend the next 11 years in a Florida prison for the 2009 ...
sitemama
sitemama
Admin

Mood : Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:11 am

sitemama wrote:

Matthew Bent « CBS Miami

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/12/20/teen-to-be-sentenced-in-brewer-burning-case/

Teen Sentenced To 11 Years In Prison In Brewer Burning Case. Eighteen-year-old Matthew Bent will spend the next 11 years in a Florida prison for the 2009 ...

Thank you so much for sharing this information.

(I fixed the link)
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Teen convicted in fire attack gets sentence reduced

Posted: Today at 12:15 pm EDT
March 20, 2013

(VIDEO)

MIAMI (WSVN) -- One of the suspects involved in setting a South Florida teen on fire in 2009 has had his sentence reduced.

~Snipped~

Denver Jarvis was one of two suspects who took a plea deal and then testified against the alleged ringleader.

Jarvis was originally sentenced to eight years in prison followed by 22 years of probation, but a judge on Wednesday has lowered the probationary period to ten years. However, he will still serve all eight years in state prison

Read more:

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21010149240987/teen-convicted-in-fire-attack-gets-sentence-reduced/#ixzz2OCOWAFEc
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:03 pm

Judge eases probation for Jarvis in Michael Brewer burning case

By Rafael Olmeda, Sun Sentinel
1:01 p.m. EDT, March 20, 2013

One of the teenagers serving prison time for the burning of Michael Brewer in 2009 will not have to spend as much time on probation as originally sentenced, a Broward judge ruled Wednesday.

Denver Jarvis, 18, who poured a container of rubbing alcohol over Brewer's head during a confrontation at a Deerfield Beach parking lot, pleaded no contest in February 2012 to second-degree attempted murder and was sentenced to eight years in prison, a year of house arrest, and 21 years of probation.

Broward Circuit Judge Michael Robinson eliminated the year of house arrest and cut Jarvis' probation to 10 years.

Read more:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-denver-jarvis-sentencing-motion-20130320,0,295038.story
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:57 am

Teen burn-attack victim Michael Brewer released after drug-related arrest

Michael Brewer, South Florida Teen Set on Fire -- Matthew Bent Convicted Of Aggravated Battery J7nEM.St.56
Judge releases burn victim Michael Brewer under supervision following drug arrest

By Daniela Guzman
dguzman@miamiherald.com

More than three years after he was set on fire by three classmates, Michael Brewer thought a painful chapter in his life was over when the last of his attackers was sentenced to prison. His family said it meant the Deerfield Beach teen could now focus on his recovery.

But that heeling process was interrupted Thursday when the 18-year-old Brewer was stopped by a Florida Highway Patrol trooper and charged with drug possession.

Among the items found in Brewer’s possession, according to the arrest report: A bag of marijuana, a container with “crack” cocaine, 14 glass pipes, a bong, three empty pill containers, a grinder and cigarette papers.

Read more:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/21/3298180/teen-burn-attack-victim-michael.html#storylink=cpy
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down