Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Judge Strickland Accused of Inappropriate Relationship with Blogger 'Marindade Dave'; Removes Himself From Case

+7
eva
Piper
Julie
LottieM
randilynn
khintx
Justice4all
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Judge Strickland Accused of Inappropriate Relationship with Blogger 'Marindade Dave'; Removes Himself From Case Empty Judge Strickland Accused of Inappropriate Relationship with Blogger 'Marindade Dave'; Removes Himself From Case

Post by Justice4all Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:31 pm

Motion Filed To Have Judge Removed In Casey Case

Posted: 5:14 pm EDT April 16, 2010
Updated: 5:38 pm EDT April 16, 2010

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Casey Anthony’s defense filed a motion Friday to have Judge Stan Strickland removed from the case.

Jose Baez claims that Strickland should be removed because he has had contact with a blogger, who covers the Casey case, named Dave Knechel, otherwise known as Marinade Dave.

MOTION: To Remove Judge From Case

The blogger claims he told defense investigators on April 11 that he received a phone call from Judge Strickland when Knechel was sick, wishing him well.

Casey’s defense team claims Knechel developed a personal relationship with Strickland.

http://www.wftv.com/news/23176556/detail.html?treets=orlc&tml=orlc_break&ts=T&tmi=orlc_break_1_04200104162010

Last edited by Justice4all on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Mood : Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Judge Strickland Accused of Inappropriate Relationship with Blogger 'Marindade Dave'; Removes Himself From Case Empty Re: Judge Strickland Accused of Inappropriate Relationship with Blogger 'Marindade Dave'; Removes Himself From Case

Post by Justice4all Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Casey’s Defense Wants Judge To Remove Himself From Case

Friday, April 16, 2010 5:53:47 PM
Reported by Adam Longo

ORLANDO -- News 13 has learned Casey Anthony's defense team wants Judge Stan Strickland to remove himself from the case.

The motion said Strickland had an inappropriate conversation with a man who blogs about the case.

In an interview with News 13, Knechel said Strickland told him "needless to say, I do go on the Internet and read about this case. I must say that you have the best Web site regarding this case. You investigate and you are very fair to everyone."

Later in the conversation Strickland said “No, you are very good as a writer and you stick to the facts. You are very fair and I'm impressed."

Anthony’s defense said that conversation is grounds for the Strickland to remove himself from the case.

Stay wtih News 13 for updates.

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2010/4/16/caseys_defense_wants_judge_removed_from_case.html?refresh=1
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Judge Strickland Accused of Inappropriate Relationship with Blogger 'Marindade Dave'; Removes Himself From Case Empty Re: Judge Strickland Accused of Inappropriate Relationship with Blogger 'Marindade Dave'; Removes Himself From Case

Post by Justice4all Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Blogger In Question Talks With News 13

Friday, April 16, 2010 5:13:38 PM
Reported by Jacqueline Fell

ORLANDO -- Marinadedave.com used to get about 5,000 hits a month when he had only feature content on his site.

However, ever since he started writing about Casey Anthony, it has skyrocketed to around 100,000 hits a month.

He told News 13 he's a writer who is naturally inquisitive, always asks questions, and talks to just about anybody.

Now he's become a part of the Anthony case.

Dave Knechel is more commonly known as Marinade Dave.

It's his webpage where he mostly blogs about Anthony.

"I go to the hearings, I write about it and I try to take a more neutral stance," Knechel said.

One day after a court hearing in October, his writing was recognized by Judge Stan Strickland.

Knechel was about to leave the court when a bailiff stopped him and told him the following.

“The judge wants to meet with you and I said ‘no, I don't think so’ and sure enough he just wanted to say hello and that he reads my blog,” Knechel said.

A few days after that Knechel blogged about it.

Knechel said Strickland told him "needless to say, I do go on the Internet and read about this case. I must say that you have the best Web site regarding this case. You investigate and you are very fair to everyone."

Later in the conversation Strickland said “No, you are very good as a writer and you stick to the facts. You are very fair and I'm impressed."

Anthony’s defense said that conversation is grounds for the Strickland to remove himself from the case.

In his opinion, Knechel said what the judge reads or watches on TV doesn't make a difference.

"I don't think he would formulate an opinion based on what somebody writes on a newspaper on a blog on a forum on any sort of media outlet," Knechel said.

News 13 asked Knechel about his relationship with Strickland, who said there's nothing there.

"I wouldn't say that we’re friends,” Knechel said.

Knechel said he doesn't make any money from his website, and does it simply because he is a writer and lives in Orlando.

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2010/4/16/blogger_in_question_talks_with_news_13.html?refresh=1
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by khintx Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:07 pm

Marinade Dave is NOT a PRO Casey blog. Actually, he is quite fair minded. And he doesn't like posters bad mouthing any of the Anthonys. (which is why I largely save that kind of stuff for here!) kh
khintx
khintx

Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:13 pm

It's another delay tactic by the defense. If Judge Strickland does remove himself, I hope it backfires and Casey gets stuck with a Judge who isn't as patient with the defense and their frivolous motions.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by khintx Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Well....... that could add another 5 years to the possible trial date. kh
khintx
khintx

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:19 pm

khintx wrote:Well....... that could add another 5 years to the possible trial date. kh
That's probably what the defense is hoping for.

Unfortunately, Judge Strickland may have to remove himself to avoid the case being retried if Casey is found guilty.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by randilynn Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:24 pm

OMG.. this shit never ends.

i am getting SOOO sick of the BS from camp killer!!

i KNEW long ago, that the defense was going to ask strickland to recuse himself.. i dont remember what my reasoning was back then, but i knew it was a frequently used STALL TACTIC--and they have used up all the others, so this is the next logical step.

i HONESTLY dont think there is a memorandum at law that makes it biased for a judge to meet a blogger in a case. he is not a member of either party in the lawsuit, and it is NOT (to my knowledge) against the written judicial rules of conduct.

i admit, it was not the brightest or best looking move in the books, but legally speaking, i dont think it is grounds for a conviction being overturned...

i like stickland.. he makes the hearings bearable to watch.. it would be sad to see him go, but i agree with J4a, that it could very possibly backfire, as i doubt many judges would be as forgiving of bozo's apparent ignorancy of the law and courtroom procedure!
randilynn
randilynn

Mood : Bawling

Back to top Go down

Post by LottieM Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:56 pm

More BS! I can't stand it!

I could be wrong, but I don't believe Strickland called up Dave and said all that. But then, see I don't like MarinadeD anyhow especially after watching his video tour because he seemed self-important to me..in other words, up his own ass! Dave probably wishes Strickland had given him kudos!
LottieM
LottieM

Mood : Excited

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:08 pm

khintx wrote:Marinade Dave is NOT a PRO Casey blog. Actually, he is quite fair minded. And he doesn't like posters bad mouthing any of the Anthonys. (which is why I largely save that kind of stuff for here!) kh

kh-I agree.
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life
Mood : Musical

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:37 pm

Baez reads blogs, he's made many comments in that regard. But, he also speaks to the live media whenever he has a chance to get on camera. He's also been the main clown for major TV interviews as well. He's always voiced his views and his opinions in public. So, I say... stuff it... tongue
Piper
Piper

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:57 pm

I don't know if the problem is Judge Strickland meeting a blogger. The motion claims the problem is that Judge Strickland sought out Dave after a hearing and said, "needless to say, I do go on the Internet and read about this case. I must say that you have the best Web site regarding this case. You investigate and you are very fair to everyone." Strickland later said, “You are very good as a writer and you stick to the facts. You are very fair and I'm impressed."

The motion goes on to list the titles of some of the posts from the site that Judge Strickland says is "the best Web site regarding this case."

Casey Anthony must die!

Caylee’s murder: premeditated and pretty stupid, too

Guilty as CHARGED?

The motion also states that "Judge Strickland’s deliberate courting of a well known media figure raises the inference that Judge Strickland seeks publicity in his own right, and that his rulings and decisions from the bench could be improperly influenced by his desire to secure the outcome that maximizes that publicity." It also says "Judge Strickland's telephoning Mr. Knechel at home, after Mr. Knechel's hospitalization, shows that the courting of Mr. Knechel in October of 2009
was not a one-time aberration. To the contrary: Judge Strickland did so after Mr.
Knechel had already publicized the first interaction with the judge in court and that
shows that the judge is less interested in maintaining a perception of impartiality than he is in maintaining his contacts among the media, which is a violation of Canon 2 and 3 of the Code of Judicial Conduct."

Besides the stuff with Dave, the motion also mentions Strickland turning Baez into the bar based on an "untrue hearsay statement" by Dominic Casey. The motion also complains that "Judge Strickland has made off the record comments to both the prosecution and Miss Anthony’s defense lawyers that he (the judge) would like to wait until after his re-election is over to set the trial in Miss Anthony’s case and says such action reveals the judge’s concern about politics and is a violation of Canon 2 of the Code of Judicial Conduct."

The motion also cites the time in court when Judge Strickland said, "Not a bit of useful information has been provided by Ms. Anthony as to the whereabouts of her daughter. And I would add that the truth and Ms. Anthony are strangers."

That statement made in court about Casey is very true in my opinion, but may be interpreted by some as bias. I also wish Strickland would have kept his opinions about Dave's blog to himself. I have a feeling that he is going to have to step down.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:03 am

Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eva Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:43 am

I'm shaking my head here.

Judges are human. Judges are not above reproach.

I do not know what Judge Strickland has done here, but I do know, we do not want to see Casey Anthony walk free due to a mistrial. THAT I DO KNOW!

If Casey has to sit in the clink longer, while they get another judge, so be it. Aggravating as it is, eternally awaiting justice...... Just so long as justice is eventually served.

If Judge Stickland has been getting sloppy and not playing by the rules, best we find out before the trial, not during or after the trial.

Oi vay!

Last edited by eva on Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
eva
eva

Location : regifting the Christmas present that Julie gave me.
Mood : Vacation

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:15 am

Defense team’s motion to remove Judge Stan Strickland draws withering reviews

posted by halboedeker on April, 17 2010 6:55 AM

Casey Anthony’s defense team was getting bad reviews for filing a motion late Friday asking Judge Stan Strickland to remove himself from the case.

“There is little doubt that one day the defense will be looking back on this motion as the worst move they’ve ever made,” said Orlando defense attorney Richard Hornsby in offering analysis for WESH-Channel 2. “Judge Strickland has previously shown fairness to Casey Anthony in the way he sentenced her in the check case.”

WFTV-Channel 9 legal analyst Bill Sheaffer praised Strickland, saying the defense “could not ask for a more impartial, patient and fair judge.”

In its motion, the defense team cited Strickland’s friendliness toward and praise for a blogger that the defense contends is pro-prosecution. That blogger is Dave Knechel, who writes as Marinade Dave.

Knechel’s view of his own blog? He said it’s “down the middle, fair and balanced” and “mild in comparison to what else is out there,” WESH’s Danielle Bellini said.

“Knechel says if the defense took the time to to read his blog, they would see he was fair to both sides, and the judge was merely recognizing that,” WKMG-Channel 6’s Mike DeForest reported.

Knechel told told WKMG about the defense motion, “It doesn’t make sense to me. It sounds like it’s almost a desperate move.”

Knechel told WFTV that Strickland was very fair. And Knechel said of the defense motion: “They’re putting their hands in hot water. They don’t know what the outcome will be. Who will the next judge be?”

WKMG anchor Louis Bolden reported that Strickland may have to rule on the motion in the next 30 days — and if he doesn’t, the motion would automatically be granted. WKMG said that Strickland wasn’t commenting.

WFTV anchor Liz Artz said, “We’re not expecting to hear anything from Judge Strickland until he takes up the motion in court.”

Anthony is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her daughter, Caylee.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2010/04/casey-anthony-defense-teams-motion-to-remove-judge-stan-strickland-draws-withering-reviews.html/comment-page-1#comment-82747
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life

Back to top Go down

Post by LottieM Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:31 am

I'm just now reading the motion. Man, I don't know!

If Judge S really did call MDave, that's really bad personal choice! But I think MDave is lying about the calls and misrepresenting facts. He's living in fantasy land! Or else maybe someone called and just said they were Judge S! I just can't believe he'd do something that blatantly controversial!

IMO, MDave is a Judge Strickland Accused of Inappropriate Relationship with Blogger 'Marindade Dave'; Removes Himself From Case 558671 and has an odd mix of having low sense of self worth and strong desire for exaggerated self importance. His blog isn't like other blogs that report the news and opine about it. MDave is more involved in it like he's taking it way more personally than he should be. (and he's clearly jealous of Val and all her scientific analysis! LOL) I've never been able to take his blogging seriously. But that's just me.

The one thing about Judge S that I've not approved of though is his way of joking on the bench. He does that and often it even makes Casey laugh! His way of joking is facetious though, so I'd bet if he told MDave in court that he had the best site in the universe (paraphrased for sarcasm) he was really talking down to MDave not praising him at all! Still that would be a blunder. Perhaps MDave misstated the facts though...maybe the judge asked him rhetorically if he had the best site. I can see MDave's ego wanting to translate that into an compliment. MDave has issues I'm tellin' ya! He's not all there!

I hope the transcripts of that court day expose that MDave is wrong. I wonder if Baez has even asked for the transcript? I doubt it! He'd be too afraid he couldn't file a motion if he found out MDave misrepresented what Judge S said that day. Then he couldn't seek revenge with the judge he is holding a grudge at for turning him into the bar.

But MDave a perfect nutbag for Baez to latch onto and use for his own disgruntlement that Strickland allowed Baez to be turned into the Bar. Notice how Baez had to include that in the motion! Judge Strickland Accused of Inappropriate Relationship with Blogger 'Marindade Dave'; Removes Himself From Case 916266

And Baez has some nerve accusing Strickland of using the case for notoriety and personal gain! Baez encouraged this to be a media blitz and went after a pro-bono dream team for the same reason! Baez wanted this case to be bigger than life so Casey could sell Caylee in order to pay him! And he, himself, admitted to having 'visions of grandeur'! (aspiring to use this case to become the first Spanish/Latino lawyer to lead a high profile case)

I don't think there's any law against a judge or a lawyer reading blogs or opining though. The jury is what matters! And the laws governing legal proceedings. So long as Judge S abides by those laws, perhaps he won't have to step down.

I mean when you think about it, we have Supreme Court justices who have opined personal opinions that are in contradiction to the Constitution, yet they sit on the bench protecting Constitutional law.

I hope Baez gets this motion shoved up where the sun don't shine!
LottieM
LottieM

Back to top Go down

Post by LottieM Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:48 am

Copied from Julie's post.....“There is little doubt that one day the defense will be looking back on this motion as the worst move they’ve ever made,” said Orlando defense attorney Richard Hornsby in offering analysis for WESH-Channel 2. “Judge Strickland has previously shown fairness to Casey Anthony in the way he sentenced her in the check case.

That's a very good point! He was more than fair with the little witch! That should trump speculation that he might not be fair in the murder trial.

I have a question. How is Judge S going to hear this motion against his own self? Wouldn't that seem like conflict of interest?
LottieM
LottieM

Back to top Go down

Post by khintx Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:38 am

Lottie~ The judge has 30 days to respond. Whether there will be a hearing I am not certain.kh
khintx
khintx

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:44 am

I think the motion makes Judge Strickland look bad and may cause him to step down, but I must say that a lot of the facts in the motion are twisted around to make Judge Strickland look bad. He made a common sense comment when he said the truth and Miss Anthony are strangers, and as far as Marinade Dave's Blog posts, the defense uses the post titles to make Dave look like he's pro-prosecution when he clearly isn't to anybody who reads his blog. Casey Anthony must die! is a reference to all the people hellbent on Casey's execution and is not an opinion expressed by Dave in that post. The defense lists Guilty as CHARGED? without a question mark and doesn't clarify that the post is about the check fraud case. People reading the motion won't see the true content of Dave's posts unless they read the Exhibits at the end of the motion.

I personally think Judge Strickland is more than fair and having him removed will not be in the defense's best interest. It will be a shame if he is removed and every motion has to be reheard, but justice will eventually be served. If Casey wants out of the death penalty so bad, she should take a page out of John Gardner's book, admit what she did, and strike a plea deal that gives her life without parole.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by khintx Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:59 am

Here is newcast with MD interview if you are interested (top left of page)

http://www.wftv.com/news/23176556/detail.html

kh
khintx
khintx

Back to top Go down

Post by LottieM Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:05 am

Baez is just a great big ole barf

He should consider stepping down if he wants Casey to have a fair trial because I'm sure the jury is going to be disgusted with him, at the very least won't understand what he'd getting at with his twisted reasoning that leaves out anything of substance and 'might' rule against Casey for lack of any real defense case that makes any sense.
LottieM
LottieM

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:12 am

I think MD appears to the public to be more involved in the case, because he lives right there, and happens to run a blog. He can hop in his car & videotape the scene area anytime he feels like it, which I really like his videos at the scene. Without his videos, I would still have a one-dimensional image in my mind of the area. He's has had several people from current news stories comment at his blog. (We had a few here too.)

I've read comments from other people on other blogs who live in or visit the area, some participated in the searches, some went to the vigils, some were at RG's Blanchard Park memorial, some have driven past the A's house. Many people have made comments & youtube videos on this case. I appreciate them all. It gives a deeper insight of what is actually going on down in FL. If you live right there, it's probably inevitable that you might run into some of the key players sooner or later.

I agree with J4A that the defense took the blog titles out of context, without even reading what it was about. They mis-conshtrued the title.

Thanks kh for the link. Maybe the defense is trying to cover up the story right below this one, how the inmate says Casey used a rag to administer the chloroform to Caylee.

Lottie-I think you have a point, maybe Bozo should get out now, you're right, nobody is going to understand his backwards way of reasoning.

Alot of people on other blogs are questioning Bozo's involvement of sneaking contraband (anything that is not allowed) in to Casey, letters, bracelets, etc. Who needs to file a motion on him?
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by khintx Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:45 am

I hope that after Judge S responds to this motion......
khintx
khintx

Back to top Go down

Post by khintx Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:46 am

..... he tells them all in a politically correct way to shove it where the sun don't shine........
khintx
khintx

Back to top Go down

.... and maybe even do this.............
khintx
khintx

Back to top Go down