Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leah Freeman News Articles .....No Discussion Please

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Leah Freeman News Articles  .....No Discussion Please - Page 2 Empty Re: Leah Freeman News Articles .....No Discussion Please

Post by FystyAngel Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:33 pm

For victim’s family, days of emotion

Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:00 am

COQUILLE - Each member of Cory Courtright's family reacted differently Monday afternoon when the Coquille police chief placed a single document before them.

"‘Here's our indictment for murder on Nick McGuffin," Chief Mark Dannels said, according to Courtright.

Authorities were arresting the 28-year-old suspect near Greenacres as he spoke.

Courtright's sister, Carrie Ann Shields, hollered and danced in place.

Sister-in-law Rosemary Courtright jumped to her feet.

And Courtright - having waited more than a decade for someone to answer for her daughter's death - put her head on the table and cried.

"All I could think was, ‘Finally.' Finally they got him behind bars where he belongs for the rest of his days," Courtright said.

Prayers of thanks

After Dannels shared the news, the family called everyone they could think of. Then they thanked Jesus Christ.

"I don't know why, but my thoughts went to the fact that I wanted my dad to be there because he held onto life so hard because he wanted to see the day that there was actually justice for Leah," Courtright said.

He and Courtright's mother died in 2003 within two months of each other.

"Broken hearted," explained Courtright's brother, Rich.

Media blitz

Since the news of McGuffin's arrest in the 2000 Leah Freeman homicide, Courtright has been inundated by calls from the media.

She and her family were interviewed by reporters from ABC's "20/20," as well as various Oregon stations and newspapers. They even got a call from People Magazine.

"I had to turn my phone off because it was going absolutely crazy," she said.

"It's hectic. It's mind boggling."

But it's no surprise to Courtright that the nation as well as the community is so intrigued by Leah's case, which went cold in 2001 - about a year after she disappeared from her hometown.

"A little town like this, everybody knows," Rich Courtright said.

The arraignment

On Tuesday prior to McGuffin's arraignment, Courtright was waiting outside Judge Michael Gillespie's courtroom when she saw corrections officers lead McGuffin to the defendant's table. She began to shake and cry.

From behind her, Kathleen McGuffin - the defendant's mother - said, "Cry all you want, Cory, he's innocent," in front of family members and some reporters.

"Don't talk to me ever," Courtright recalled responding.

Once inside the courtroom, Courtright said it was a somewhat frightening and gut-wrenching experience seeing McGuffin again.

He looked skinny to Courtright, and he cried through much of the proceeding.

"It freaks me out to look at him," Courtright said.

"It's very much my opinion they got the right guy."

A long wait

Courtright said she's never given up hope, and was relieved to have her suspicions about McGuffin validated, but she doesn't believe she'll ever be the same.

"Closure is such a big word," she said.

"I don't know that I'll ever have closure."

Still, Courtright said she's gained friends and community support through the experience of waiting, holding candlelight vigils and pleading with the Coquille City Council to reopen the case.

She also has made connections with other parents of murdered children.

Awkward moments

That doesn't mean days are easy or that awkward moments or naysayers are rare.

"If I look like I'm having a good day, they don't want to say anything, because they're afraid it will bring me down."

Rosemary Courtright explained that people sometimes don't know what to say.

Courtright, who cares for the home of a long-haul trucker, plans to reconnect with her daughter, Denise, and her four grandchildren once her life settles down.

She also plans to watch every day of McGuffin's trial if one is held - except for the times when District Attorney R. Paul Frasier will show photos of 15-year-old Leah's body.

"I want to remember Leah as Leah."

Leah Freeman News Articles  .....No Discussion Please - Page 2 4c755a10
Cory Courtright finally feels justice is coming for her slain daughter, Leah Freeman. “We have someone in jail,” Courtright said. “That’s a start!” World Photo by Benjamin Brayfield

http://theworldlink.com/news/local/article_65e1d084-b072-11df-a78c-001cc4c03286.html
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Mood : Neener

http://www.realitychatter.com

Back to top Go down

Leah Freeman News Articles  .....No Discussion Please - Page 2 Empty Re: Leah Freeman News Articles .....No Discussion Please

Post by FystyAngel Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:38 pm

Events in Freeman case

Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:00 am

Leah Freeman News Articles  .....No Discussion Please - Page 2 4c740811
The front page of the July 3, 2000, edition of The World

June 28, 2000

Leah Freeman, 15, is dropped off at a friend's house on Elm Street after spending the afternoon with her boyfriend, Nick McGuffin, 18, and his friend, Brent Bartley, 20.

McGuffin is supposed to pick up Leah at 9 p.m. McGuffin arrives at the residence, but Leah already has left on foot.

Leah Freeman is last seen on Central Boulevard at approximately 9:15 p.m. Leah does not return home when she is expected. McGuffin says he searched for Leah until approximately 2:30 a.m.

June 29

Cory Courtright contacts Coquille Police Department to inform them her daughter is missing. Oregon State Police collect Nick McGuffin's fingerprints.

Coquille Police Officer Dave Hall and Coquille Police Chief Mike Reaves go to Bartley's grandparents' residence to investigate Leah's previous known whereabouts.

July 3

A citizen reports that he found a right-footed white Nike shoe on Elm Street on June 28.

July 5

News of Leah's disappearance is relayed to local, state and federal law enforcement agencies.

McGuffin and Bartley are given polygraph tests by Oregon State Police.

Later, Hall says in a sworn statement he believes McGuffin "was not being truthful" when he answered questions about Leah's disappearance and death.

July 6

Coquille Police Officer Dave Hall obtains a search warrant for the McGuffin residence, Nick McGuffin's person and his 1967 Ford Mustang. The car's trunk is missing its lliner, spare tire and jack. Police dogs search near Coquille High School. Reaves says police are following around 20 leads and considers Leah an "endangered missing child."

July 8

Authorities search transient camps and other areas, including four miles of the Coquille River by boat. U.S. Coast Guard also flies over the river.

July 10

A subpoena to appear before a grand jury is served to Brent Bartley. Local and state police agencies and the FBI now are participating in the investigation.

July 14

Investigators give Leah's immediate family members little or no information about disappearance.

July 17

Kathy Wilcox of the Oregon State Police Crime Lab confirms human blood droplets are present on sole of left shoe found by Deputy Oswald, according to a sworn statement. Officer Hall has collected Leah's toothbrush and a piece of her hair for DNA testing.

July 20

Frasier convenes grand jury.

July 21

Reaves says DNA testing on shoes will take another two weeks.

July 27

Bartley with counsel submits to another polygraph examination. Frasier submits an offer of immunity to Bartley's attorney.

July 28

Coquille police search McGuffin's residence, his person and a 1991 Ford Thunderbird belonging to McGuffin's parents. Authorities take DNA samples from McGuffin.

Aug. 2

DNA from Leah's toothbrush links shoes to Leah.

Aug. 3

The body of a teenage girl is found near Lee Valley Road about one mile from Fairview Road at about 3:30 p.m. by Coos County Major Crime Team. Frasier tentatively identifies girl as Leah. Investigators are set to do forensic work at the site on Aug. 4, 2000. Grand jury hearing for Brent Bartley is canceled. Reaves tells Leah's father, Dennis Freeman, that the cancellation has nothing to do with finding the girl. The World reports that Reaves said that with the discovery of the body, the Coos County Major Crime Investigation Team had been formally activated.

Aug. 4

Autopsy is scheduled to take place.

Aug. 10

Hundreds attend Leah's funeral in Coquille High School gymnasium.

Aug. 24

The World reports that Reaves said "authority figures" are telling people to not cooperate with authorities in investigation. Reaves won't say who they are but that he knows their identity.

Police say rumors are interfering with the case. With no new information, investigation continues.

Sept. 28

Reaves reports no suspects in the case. He awaits for an autopsy report from the state pathologist, according to The World, which could take months.

Dec. 16

Hall, the lead investigator, says he doesn't know if the length of time since the crime would hinder a conviction. "This is the first case like this I have worked on," Hall tells The World.

Timeline sources: The World archives, Coos County court documents, interviews with investigators

http://theworldlink.com/news/local/article_0646a3d6-b273-11df-863f-001cc4c002e0.html
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:38 pm

Delays, misdirections, mystery figure slowed the investigation of Leah Freeman's death
How case grew cold

Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:00 am

COQUILLE — A lack of physical evidence was one obstacle.

Slowness of Coquille police to summon the county's Major Crime Team may have been another.

And what about the shadowy figure who allegedly urged witnesses to keep silent?

All these factors may have contributed to a 10-year gap between Leah Freeman's death and Monday's long-awaited murder indictment in the case.

Seeking to understand the delay, reporters and editors at The World this week re-examined the newspaper's own archives, studied previously unpublished legal documents, and interviewed principal participants. With memories fading and some details impossible to know, the full truth remains open to speculation.

"What happened, I can't tell you because I wasn't there," said Coquille Police Chief Mark Dannels.

"Would I have handled it in the same way?

"No."

Dozens of leads

Leah Freeman, 15, disappeared on the night of Wednesday, June 28, 2000, after leaving for home from a friend's house on Elm Street. Leah's mother, Cory Courtright, noticed she wasn't home at 3:30 a.m. and contacted the Coquille Police Department before 10:30 a.m. on Thursday.

Former Coquille Police Chief Mike Reaves and Coos County District Attorney R. Paul Frasier said investigators began searching for the girl that day.

Police at first considered it a missing-persons case, Reaves said, and worked to determine if the 15-year-old Coquille girl had run away, had been involved in an accident or had been abducted.

For the next two days, officers pursued leads.

"We must have gotten a dozen of them the first day," Reaves recalled this week.

Waited too long?

The department called in the Federal Bureau of Investigation within the first two to three days after Courtright reported Leah missing, Reaves said. Frasier said he believes the Bureau was asked to join the investigation by that weekend.

However, it wasn't until seven days after the first report that Coquille police called in the Coos County Major Crimes Team, said Frasier. He then was the chief deputy district attorney assigned to the case.

The team was created to involve other agencies in a major investigation to provide manpower, ideas and resources, said former District Attorney Paul Burgett, then Frasier's boss.

Burgett said that when the team was created in the 1980s, some police chiefs in the county "were suspicious and resentful of an interagency team working homicides in their jurisdiction."

However, he doesn't believe that colored the Freeman case or that Reaves' decision was based on ill will.

Reaves' delay, though, bothered Burgett, who said he was confused why Reaves called in the FBI, not local investigators who knew the area.

"I thought it was a mistake," Burgett said. "Whether it made any difference I don't know."

Reaves said he doesn't recall exactly why the FBI was called first, although he cited their expertise in missing persons cases, and forgoing the major case team was not intended as a slight to anyone.

"We weren't trying to keep them out or anything like that," he said.

Missing persons

In missing-persons cases, the Major Crimes Team now can be summoned on the first day of the investigation, depending on the circumstances.

In the November 2009 Jayme Austin case, which resulted in a murder conviction for her brother-in-law, Patrick Horath, investigators called in the team after noticing evidence of a struggle.

Frasier said police attitudes across the country have changed toward missing-persons cases, especially those involving older teenagers.

In 2000, most police agencies would not take a report until 48 to 72 hours after a person disappeared. Often, teens would show up later or had run off, and investigating such cases were considered a waste of resources.

Dannels, the current Coquille police chief, said that's a policy he's heard of only on TV crime shows.

The department, under Dannels, now follows an investigative checklist for first responders issued by the National Center For Missing & Exploited Children. Officers look at issues such as the teenager's profile, if he or she ever has run away, been in trouble, left a note, or has clothing missing from home.

Then police will put out an "all call," meaning all officers available from the department - including volunteers, office staff and local volunteer firefighters - will begin the search. If suspicions of a crime emerge, officers summon the Major Crime Team.

Not just a runaway

Reaves said Leah never was considered just a runaway, that his officers followed FBI protocol. They used dogs on July 5 to search areas around Central Boulevard and Coquille High School.

They also set up a roadblock on Central Boulevard that same night, stopping motorists to find anyone who had been in the area when Leah disappeared.

Still, in January 2010, Larry Leader, a retired sheriff's lieutenant who'd worked on the original investigation, said investigators wasted precious hours because they believed Leah was a runaway.

"I think initially, it wasn't organized well enough," Leader said.

Team finds body

The Major Crime Team joined the case in July 2000. On Aug. 3, the team found Leah's body at the bottom of an embankment, 15 feet beneath Lee Valley Road about one mile from Fairview Road.

Thirty-seven days had elapsed since Leah's disappearance.

When Dannels and Frasier assembled a cold case team of retired officers from various agencies that participated in the 2000 case, it did not include any from the original Coquille team.

"There was nobody that was recommended," Dannels said.

He said he could not say why.

"This was a forward-thinking investigation on what we could do," he said.

Shadowy ‘authority figures'

By late August 2000 the investigation began to lag, and Reaves complained that rumors and misunderstandings were hindering the case.

"In addition, a few authority figures in the community have advised potential witnesses not to answer questions or cooperate regarding Leah's death," Reaves said Aug. 23, 2000.

"As a result, some leads in the case have been more difficult to fully develop. ... We know who they are, we just don't want to put that out because there are already enough problems out there as it is."

More than 10 years later, Reaves said he isn't sure who the "authority figures" are. He suggested that it might have been Frasier cautioning witnesses to the grand jury to keep mum.

'It wasn't me'

Frasier said he asked grand jury witnesses to avoid discussing their testimony. However, it was unlikely he'd ask witnesses to not speak with police.

"Part of the reason we went to the grand jury was because we couldn't get some of these kids to talk to us," Frasier said, explaining he hoped it would compel them to talk.

He said he learned from Reaves that someone told potential witnesses to get lawyers before talking to the police.

"I don't know who that person was," Frasier said.

"It wasn't me."

When asked again about the secret authorities, Reaves said he'd misunderstood the original question.

"To be perfectly honest, I don't even remember the quote" of Aug. 23, 2000, he said.

Lack of evidence

A year after the investigation started, the case had not moved forward. In a June 30, 2001, story, Frasier said a number of other high-profile cases took resources away from the Freeman investigation.

Frasier said other factors hindered the case.

"One thing that makes it difficult is that (Leah's) body was not discovered until approximately six weeks after she disappeared."

This week, Reaves said the homicide case never closed, and he and fellow investigators would work on it when new information came in.

Reaves retired from the Coquille Police Department in late 2007 or early 2008, when he had to undergo a shoulder replacement.

The former chief said he doesn't regret that he never made an arrest, although he had lived with the unsolved Freeman case for a decade.

‘Measure of justice'

He said he hopes the department's arrest of Nick McGuffin, Leah's former boyfriend, pans out.

"I would like to see that young girl get a measure of justice."

Although he suspected McGuffin after the then-18-year-old was said to be untruthful in a polygraph test, he was unable to pin the homicide on him.

"There was not enough evidence," Reaves said.

He's also frustrated that community members have said he somehow botched the investigation the first time around. He called it "Monday morning quarterbacking."

"Until I came to Oregon, I've never had my reputation or my investigative abilities attacked."

"If we had known on Day 1 that it was a homicide, we would have worked it differently, you bet," Reaves said.

The former chief, who now runs Fat Tuesdays Mardi Gras Grill in Coquille, said he's happy that the case is almost over, but isn't too keen on remembering the past.

"I don't want to have to relive this. This is very painful for me."

Reporter Andy Rossback, photographer Benjamin Brayfield and managing editor James Casey contributed to this report.

Reporter Jessica Musicar can be reached at 541-269-1222, ext. 240; or at jmusicar@theworldlink.com.

http://theworldlink.com/news/local/article_881dac76-b271-11df-acaa-001cc4c002e0.html?mode=story

Cold case quotes

Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 12:00 am

"It's a crime that this case is as cold as cold can get." — Cory Courtright on June 30, 2008

"I often think of moving away, but I can't. There's unfinished business here." — Cory Courtright on June 26, 2004

"I don't think there is any chance of it being solved. You probably couldn't get a conviction anyway - it's all ‘he-said, she-said.'" — Dennis Freeman, Leah's father, on June 30, 2001.

"At my house, in my den ... I have, hanging on the wall, aerial maps where the body was found. I look at it every night. I try to think of something that might break the case." — then-Chief Deputy District Attorney R. Paul Frasier on June 26, 2004.

"When they told me on August 3 that they had found her body, I had no idea what the next months would bring - nothing but lies, anticipation and total frustration." — Cory Courtright on Jan. 4, 2001.

"I will never take any information to any police agency again. I am sick of the attitude they give and I am sick of being ignored." — Cory Courtright on July 26, 2004.

http://theworldlink.com/article_2ac81dee-b272-11df-9818-001cc4c002e0.html

Leah Freeman News Articles  .....No Discussion Please - Page 2 4c78b310
Then-Coquille Police Chief Mike Reaves listens as Cory Courtright reads a statement at a Coquille City Council meeting in January 2001.

Leah Freeman News Articles  .....No Discussion Please - Page 2 4c78b311
Coos County Sheriff's Sgt. Rod Summers stands next to police barrier sealing off the scene where a body, identified as 15-year-old Leah Freeman of Coquille, was found in August 2000.

Leah Freeman News Articles  .....No Discussion Please - Page 2 4c78b410
Coquille Police Chief Mark Dannels said that if he was the lead investigator in 2000 when the case began, he would have followed guidelines on an investigative checklist.

Leah Freeman News Articles  .....No Discussion Please - Page 2 4c78bb10
Key locations in the investigation of Leah Freeman's death

http://theworldlink.com/news/local/article_881dac76-b271-11df-acaa-001cc4c002e0.html?mode=image
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:07 pm

SMALL TOWN KEPT GIRL’S MEMORY ALIVE
Coquille residents never stopped demanding that police find Leah’s killer

By Winston Ross
The Register-Guard
Appeared in print: Saturday, Sep 4, 2010

COQUILLE — To this day, K’Lynn Landmark still can see the black sedans speeding down Lee Valley Road, past her house on the outskirts of Fairview. Traffic on this rural stretch of county road near Coquille is anything but bustling, so she knew something was up.

Landmark’s husband, Jim Judd, hopped on his four-wheeler to find out what was going on.

“He asked them, and they said they’d found Leah Freeman,” Landmark remembers.

By that point, five weeks after the 15-year-old girl’s disappearance on June 28, 2000, just about everybody in Coquille knew who Leah Freeman was. There were fliers and yellow ribbons and bows all over town: at the grocery store, the beauty salons, the restaurants. Teenage girls don’t disappear from a small town like Coquille. That kind of thing was supposed to happen in other places — bigger, scarier places.

In the weeks that followed her disappearance, the police and the town focused on finding Leah. But the discovery of her body that Aug. 3 provided little closure to a stunned community. Her killer, or killers, were still on the loose, and the Coos County District Attorney’s Office was making no promises that they’d solve the case.

“No arrests have been made,” said Paul Frasier, then chief deputy district attorney, three days after Leah’s body turned up, debunking rumors that someone had been nabbed in the case. “Nor are any anticipated in the near future.”

Nor for a decade, as it turned out, until Coquille police showed up at the home of Leah’s former boyfriend, Nicholas James McGuffin, last Monday. McGuffin and his parents both have said the 20-year-old is innocent. But the arrest marks a huge milestone for Coquille. This town never forgot Leah Freeman. And, led by a grieving mother’s decade-long quest for justice, the community never stopped demanding that police find her killer.

Mother kept up pressure

Regina Kincheloe first learned that Leah was missing when McGuffin walked into Judy’s New Image Hair Salon on Central with a missing-child poster, shortly after the girl disappeared in 2000.

“He seemed like he was in a big hurry to get out of here,” Kincheloe said. “He seemed upset.”

Kincheloe had done Leah’s hair a few days before she disappeared; nothing fancy, just a trim. The girl’s disappearance was a sad mystery, she remembers.

“It bothered everybody,” Kincheloe said. “Nobody knew anything.”

As the weeks went on with no arrests, people started to wonder if they should worry for their children’s safety, Kincheloe said.

“Fairview is an out-of-the-way place that only locals know about, not some bearded stranger,” she said, which meant that the killer was likely “walking among us. We didn’t know whether we were supposed to let our kids walk to the pool.”

Police interviewed dozens of people, but made no arrests, a frustration to the community, which became increasingly critical of the police and their chief, Michael Reaves.

Leah’s mother, Cory Courtright, pestered the chief constantly. When she felt that she wasn’t getting enough of a response, she made an appeal to the media, criticizing the investigation publicly. She continued to write letters to the editor over the years, including one published in The Register-Guard in honor of what would have been Leah’s 25th birthday last fall.

“As I endure this painful anniversary, I am again reminded of everything that was taken away from Leah and everything that could have been. Since I can’t do anything about that, I do what I can: fight for justice,” Courtright wrote. “I miss my daughter horribly, and I fear for others because her murderer is still free.”

Courtright held candle­light vigils on both the anniversary of her daughter’s disappearance and the date she was found; sometimes on her birthday, too. She allied with national victims’ rights organizations. She started a website, publishing documents from the 2000 investigation that showed that investigators were homing in on Mc­Guffin. She spent $14,000 on a private investigator who “gave me 10 pieces of paper of interviews with friends I already knew.” She pushed, and pushed, and pushed.

“For a long time, people would come up to me and say, ‘Is anything going on in the case?’ and I’d have nothing to say,” Courtright said. “It was kind of awkward. I felt like they were looking at me like, ‘What do you mean you don’t know? You’ve got to know something.’ ”

Frustration with police

Courtright wasn’t the only one who never let go of the case. When Mary Geddry moved to Coquille in 2003, she said, Leah Freeman invariably came up in the first moments of her conversations with people in town.

“I hadn’t lived here a month before I heard, ‘We have an unsolved murder here,’ ” Geddry said.

Partly, Geddry said, that’s because it’s a small town, with 4,200 people and two stoplights. But what also kept the case alive in Coquille was the community’s growing frustration with its police department, over the Freeman murder and other issues. Some felt that Freeman’s family wasn’t getting justice because it wasn’t prominent enough, that they were just “little people,” Geddry said.

“Eventually, the little people stood up,” she said. “There was this uproar, uprising.”

After Chief Reaves retired in 2008, citing an inability to do his job after a shoulder surgery, citizens demanded that they be in on the process of hiring his successor, that the whole thing happen in a public forum.

When the field was narrowed to five finalists, there were two key questions for each of them, said Frasier, who is now the district attorney and who sat on the hiring committee. What would the candidate do to transform the image of the Coquille Police Department? And what would they do about the Leah Freeman case?

All five candidates were familiar with Leah’s disappearance, and all expressed a willingness to relaunch the investigation, Frasier said.

The district attorney hadn’t forgotten Leah, either.

On the wall in his office is posted a timeline showing all of the known facts about Leah’s whereabouts the night she disappeared, lined up alongside a similar chart for McGuffin and his friend Brent Bartley, who has testified before a Coos Country grand jury and who faces no charges in the case.

Over the years, any time he wasn’t working another major investigation, Frasier said, he pondered the Freeman case, Coquille’s only unsolved homicide, wondering if there was any other way to go after it. He kept a copy of the timelines at home.

Cold case squad formed

There is a blue candle on the top shelf to the right of Frasier’s desk, from the first candlelight vigil held for Leah, the year she disappeared.

“When (Courtright) comes in to yell at me, I point at the candle. She sometimes forgets I’ve been thinking about this case for a long time,” Frasier said. “My house is a block from one of the last places Leah was seen. My daughter’s picture is next to Leah’s in the yearbook. This case has always meant a lot to me.”

When the new police chief, Mark Dannels, got to town in 2008, Frasier immediately approached him about reopening the case. A month later, Dannels reported that he’d already met with a group of retired area police officers; not long after that, the chief started poring over the old evidence.

Dannels and Frasier announced the formation of a cold case squad early this year, a few month’s after Leah’s birthday, and a few months too late for the girl’s father to know her case was finally about to come to a head. Dennis Freeman and his wife, Denise, had moved away from Coquille in 2001. He died of cancer on Oct. 23.

“My husband spent years before he died blaming himself for not being there to protect his daughter,” Denise Freeman said. “That was his baby, you know.”

On the day of Mc­Guffin’s arrest, Leah’s cousin Rily Maggard was cutting hair all day at Judy’s salon, unable to attend to her phone. When she picked it up, she said, she had 15 voice mail messages.

People have been asking her about Leah Freeman at least once a week for the past 10 years, she said, any time anyone new moves to town.

“It’s good this is happening,” Maggard said. “I wish it had happened sooner.”

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/cityregion/25254065-41/leah-case-coquille-freeman-police.csp
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Mood : Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:09 pm

Who was Leah Freeman?
Leah lives in memories of family, friends

Posted: Saturday, September 4, 2010 11:00 am

She was a streak of lightning who could steal a basketball from opposing players.

She was short, opinionated, funny, feisty and energetic.

She was.

"It kills me that all the things that I have now - a husband, kid - she never got to have," said Jennifer Trosper, Leah Freeman's childhood friend.

"She's a human being and, nowadays, she's just the subject of a story."

More than 10 years after someone mysteriously killed the 15-year-old, family and friends shared memories of Leah's life and girlish antics to help the community remember she is not just a victim.

"She was a real live person, and somebody took that away from everyone," Trosper said.

‘Thumb thucker'

One of Terry Middleton's favorite memories of her niece goes back to Leah's first-grade year.

Middleton, who works in food services for the Coquille School District, said she often would recruit first-graders to help stack dishes at lunch time. Her helpers each were outfitted with rubber gloves and aprons.

"Of course, Leah loved it. She wanted to be in there all the time," Middleton recalled.

One day, while Middleton served food to students, she turned and saw her tiny blond niece with a thumb stuffed in her mouth - she had ripped off the rubber thumb from one of her gloves but left the rest intact.

"She got to work and ‘thuck' her thumb at the ‘thame' time," Middleton joked.

"I laughed. It was just the cutest thing. That thumb was very important to her."

All of Middleton's sisters, including Leah's mother, Cory Courtright, giggled at the memory as they sat in Courtright's living room last week.

They said Leah sucked her thumb up into her teen years but did her best to hide it.

Girlish antics

"I think everybody has their little idiosyncrasies," said sister-in-law Rosemary Courtright.

When it comes to Leah, the statement holds true.

She often walked into sliding glass doors. Her favorite color was pink. Despite being a bit of a tomboy, Leah constantly primped herself.

"She would put lipstick on and kiss the mirrors," Cory Courtright said.

"She had them all over the mirror. You couldn't hardly see yourself."

When the family moved into Leah's grandparents' home in Coquille, Courtright said her daughter would bounce around the living room trying to make them laugh.

She would cartwheel into Middleton's home, climb into her uncle Bill's arms and play skin the cat. Leah also loved to hide whenever they came over.

"I'd pretend like I didn't see her, and then she would jump on my back," Bill Middleton said. Leah even did it in her teens.

"She would make us all laugh," Bill Middleton said. "She just had a lot of energy - spunky little girl."

A bang of a stunt

One Christmas Eve, Leah cut off her older sister's bangs.

That night, as the whole family geared up for a feast, Leah and sister Denise said they wanted to run home.

A half hour later, Middleton noticed Denise wearing a stocking cap down to her eyebrows.

"Leah came in behind all meek and mild and slithered up the stairway," she recalled.

"Denise would not take that hat off for nothing," Courtright added.

She already had seen the damage. Worse, both girls were getting perms for Christmas.

"‘You can't get a rod in that, Denise'," Cory Courtright recalled saying.

‘My first wreck'

Although Leah never got a learner's permit, her mother once convinced her to back her car out of a driveway.

Instead, she struck her grandmother's car, which crushed a workbench.

"She just sat there, and her eyes were this big around, and she said, ‘Oh my God, Mom, I had my first wreck.'"

Aside from her bubbly personality and quirky sense of humor, Leah excelled in basketball and volleyball. Her aptitude at school sports is one thing many friends, family members and coaches easily recall.

Debbie Erler, mother of one of Leah's close friends, said she remembers Leah best from basketball and team sleepovers.

"What a team they were, often placing first or second in their league," Erler wrote in an e-mail to The World.

‘Our secret weapon'

"Leah was our secret weapon. She was so small, players from other teams deemed her a non-threat.

"But Leah was a streak of lightning on the court, and she could steal a ball before anyone (could) even seen her coming, and she was back at the other end of the court before they knew what happened."

Trosper, who sat next to Leah at their preschool graduation and played on her team at Coquille Valley Middle School, said Leah had a unique free throw: She would shoot with two hands with all her might and would often make a basket.

"She was frickin' awesome. She was probably one of the fastest ones on the team," said Trosper, 25.

Played for keeps

Dan Hermann, Leah's basketball coach for fourth, fifth and sixth grades, named her most valuable player in 1996. That year, they won the league championship.

Leah took the game seriously.

"She was out there to win," he said of his starting point guard.

"She would have been an all-league player in school. She was very talented."

Trosper, who now lives in North Bend, said she grew apart from Leah as they got older, but she still thinks of her - and her death - often.

"I can't comprehend how anybody could do that," Trosper said.

"It's just something that stuck with me and will stick with me forever."

Life without Leah

Erler remembers the summer day her daughter told her Leah had disappeared and recalls the months and years that followed.

"I know that as Leah's friends move through their lives with college, love, marriage and children, they, like Leah's family, cannot help but wonder at each stage, where Leah would be right now," Erler said.

"What would she have done after graduation? Who would she have fallen in love with and married?

"And would her little girl be (a) streak of lightning on the basketball court just like her?"

Staff Writer Andy Rossback contributed to this story.

http://theworldlink.com/news/local/article_332d71b4-b7f4-11df-9220-001cc4c002e0.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Judge avoids Freeman case

Posted: Thursday, September 9, 2010 11:00 am

A Coos County Circuit Court judge has recused himself from court proceedings in the Leah Freeman homicide.

According to a circuit court spokeswoman, Judge Michael Gillespie removed himself from the case Aug. 30. She said no reason was listed.

An attempt to reach Gillespie was unsuccessful, but his assistant said he did not want to comment.

Coquille resident Nick McGuffin is accused of murdering 15-year-old Leah, his former girlfriend, in 2000. He is set to reappear in court for a status check on Oct. 11. At that time, a judge may set a trial date.

Meanwhile he remains in the Coos County jail on $2 million bail.

http://theworldlink.com/news/local/article_bae4a9bb-fa0c-577d-9e09-e131357a5862.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:15 pm

Bruce McGuffin says police seek scapegoat in Leah Freeman case
Suspect's father: Nick is innocent

Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 11:00 am

Leah Freeman News Articles  .....No Discussion Please - Page 2 4c8a8710
Nicholas J. McGuffin, 28, listens to Circuit Court Judge Michael Gillespie read the murder charge Aug. 24 during McGuffin's arraignment. He is charged with murdering 15-year-old Leah Freeman. They dated for eight months before Freeman went missing 10 years ago.

The first time Bruce and Kathy McGuffin laid eyes on their son after his arrest was through the window of a Coos County courtroom door.

He was 'sitting all alone sobbing while the entire jury stand was filled with reporters and cameras only feet from him," Bruce McGuffin wrote in a statement to The World.

'From what I read ... it sounds like Nick was arrested because they needed someone in jail.

'We know our son is innocent."

It's a message Bruce McGuffin has asserted since his son Nick McGuffin first became a murder suspect in the 2000 death of 15-year-old Leah.

Waiting for justice

'He has lived here most of the time because he could not leave until the people responsible for this crime came to trial; otherwise, our whole family would have left a long time ago," the elder McGuffin wrote.

He has an alternate theory for the crime: Bruce McGuffin believes that several people struck Leah with a car, tortured her, and then dumped her body. Those people were granted immunity, he contends, and the homicide was pinned on Nick 'because he's the boyfriend."

'I know Nick had nothing to do with it," Bruce McGuffin said in a subsequent interview.

'How can an 18-year-old kid do something like that and over a 10-year period not come up with any insight to me that he did it?

'And don't think I haven't been looking for it. ... If I had known he killed Leah, I would have been the first person to take him down."

Suicide attempt

He added that if his son had killed Leah, Nick would have attempted suicide.

But Nick did try to take his own life after investigators found Leah's body in August 2000. Bruce McGuffin said he came home one night and found that Nick had swallowed a bottle of Tylenol.

A Coquille Valley Hospital spokeswoman confirmed the younger McGuffin had been seen at the facility sometime that month.

'He didn't want to live in this life no more," his father.

'He wanted to be with her."

Grand jury

Coos County District Attorney R. Paul Frasier wouldn't discuss details of the case or alternative scenarios.

However, he explained that when the case was presented to a grand jury, jurors indicted Nick McGuffin on a charge of murder.

They heard from 113 witnesses -- including Bruce McGuffin and some persons who earlier had been suspects, Frasier said. They heard every theory of the case -- including the accident/torture scenario -- whether or not the theories had been debunked by police.

'The fact that they testified at the grand jury would be an indicator that the grand jury felt there was insufficient evidence to proceed against those particular individuals," Frasier said.

Also, an affidavit for a January 2010 search warrant reveals that an autopsy of Leah's body revealed no fractures, nicks or marks that would indicate she had been stabbed, shot or struck by a vehicle.

Offered immunity

Furthermore, since Frasier began working on the case in 2000 as a chief deputy district attorney, he has offered immunity to only two people.

The first is Brent Bartley, a friend of Nick McGuffin who was found to be deceitful in a polygraph test when asked whether anyone told him he or she was responsible for Leah's disappearance and whether Bartley was concealing critical information regarding the disappearance.

According to a July 2000 letter sent to Bartley's attorney, Nick Nylander, Frasier offered immunity for any crime regarding Leah -- aside from direct involvement -- in exchange for his knowledge and testimony regarding her disappearance.

The offer was not accepted.

Additionally, the DA gave a letter of immunity to another person who worried he could face charges for having withheld information he later gave to investigators.

Polygraph results

Nick McGuffin also failed three pertinent questions in a polygraph exam about whether he physically did something that resulted in Leah's death; if he had any direct involvement in her disappearance; and if he had talked to Leah since she was last seen the night she disappeared.

Polygraphs are inadmissible in Oregon courts.

Bruce McGuffin said his son failed the test because he blamed himself for her death because he hadn't picked up Leah from a friend's home the night she disappeared, and because he had been interrogated for seven hours without a cigarette or lunch break.

'I don't think I would typically pass it after seven hours without a cigarette and low blood sugar," Bruce McGuffin said.

Typically, people undergoing a polygraph exam can take breaks, Frasier said, and won't be given the exam if they're under the influence of drugs, are sleep deprived or are pregnant, among other factors.

McGuffin's logs

Over the years, Bruce McGuffin said he's kept a log of every interaction with police and abusive community members, as well as tips he's received from the public.

'We thought if we kept hearing stuff, pretty soon we'd be able to piece it together," he said.

He added that he offered it to Coquille Police Chief Mark Dannels, but it was later seized by police.

Frasier said he had requested the log several times, as Bruce McGuffin claimed it contained the identity of Leah's true killer.

'Every time we have asked for them, they said they needed to speak with their attorney and they would get back to us," Frasier said.

'They never did."

Eventually investigators sought a search warrant to take the information from the McGuffin home on Baker Road in Coquille.

Family harassed

The 10-year onus of Leah's death has weighed heavily on the McGuffins.

'The first two years were terrible; having to lock the gate on our driveway and (keep) a loaded shot gun by the door due to threats of murder towards our son and us," Bruce McGuffin wrote in his statement.

'People yell from their car windows, 'You murderer,' then gesture to you with their middle finger, or people in the store yell out 'You're a murderer, your whole family is.'"

Frasier and Dannels said they are unaware of any reports of harassment or similar crimes made by the McGuffin family.

McGuffin added that police officers pulled his son over upwards of 60 times in the first eight months after Leah's body was found.

'Everyone he met, the police would go to their parents and tell them that Nick is a person of interest in a murder case," Bruce McGuffin wrote.

The DA said people occasionally called to check on Nick McGuffin's status but that he was unaware of officers initiating that type of contact.

Visits on the job

Bruce McGuffin noted that police came to his son's places of employment while he worked at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort and again when Nick worked as a banquet chef at The Mill Casino-Hotel.

Frasier said he was unaware of police conducting traffic stops against the defendant aside from legitimate ones. Also, he said, officers visited Nick on the job at both locations.

While he was at the golf resort in 2004, an FBI agent and a Coos County Sheriff's Office detective came by to ask if he had any involvement in the death of Brooke Wilberger in Corvallis.

He proved that he had not.

Then, after Leah's case was reopened this January, officers talked to Nick McGuffin's co-workers at The Mill, and put up reward posters requesting information leading to the arrest of the person responsible for her death.

The $10,000 reward has not yet been claimed.

Officers also began intermittent surveillance of the suspect.

'But as far as harassing him in the sense of pulling him over for no reason, ... I don't think that's true," Frasier said.

Sure of innocence

Just as Nick McGuffin's parents are sure of his innocence -- and are willing to put their home and land up for sale to pay for his defense -- one of Nick's friends said she, too, can't believe he killed Leah.

'I know he really cared about her," said Veronica Tolle.

'You could see it in his face and the tone of his voice.

'Anybody is capable of murder, but I would never, ever think that he is capable of that. I just don't see it."

She described her friend and confidante as laid back, professional at work, and empathetic.

'The Nick I know will cry on somebody's shoulder before he would lose his temper."

Tolle believes investigators are looking for somebody to blame.

'In the back of my head, I hope he didn't, I hope that he's innocent, and I hope he gets to laugh in everybody's face."

http://theworldlink.com/news/local/article_5e99c78b-3b8a-5de2-b0af-a58c9b97efa4.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:55 pm

CORRECTIONS
Appeared in print: Tuesday, Sep 14, 2010

Michael Reaves stepped down from his job as police chief of Coquille in July 2008 after a shoulder injury left him unable to continue his employment, according to city and medical records. Reaves had undergone shoulder replacement surgery. A Register-Guard article on Aug. 25, 2010 could have incorrectly implied that Reaves resigned from the department because of “protests at City Hall from people unhappy with the police department for, among other things, its handling of the (Leah) Freeman case.” Last month, Nicholas McGuffin was arraigned on charges that he murdered 15-year-old Freeman in 2000.

Western Lane Ambulance District in Florence is a public entity. A story on Sunday’s front page about ambulance rates said it was private.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/cityregion/25289975-41/reaves-ambulance-department-freeman-police.csp
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:56 pm

Some decades-old local crimes continue to baffle investigators
Cold cases

Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 11:00 am

Leah Freeman News Articles  .....No Discussion Please - Page 2 4c947310
Coos Bay police look over the site where the body of Lynn Lee Donaldson, 17, was found in January 1982 in Coos Bay. The case of her death remains unsolved.

Leah Freeman News Articles  .....No Discussion Please - Page 2 4c947311
Coos Bay police take away the body of Lynn Lee Donaldson, 17, in January 1982. The case of her death remains unsolved. World

A necktie and a grocer's apron.

They were the only evidence investigators could find of Frank M. Glenn on the loading dock where he disappeared Sept. 21, 1973.

Glenn, assistant manager of the Coquille Safeway, was working at the store when employees summoned him to the front.

He never appeared.

The father of six was declared missing, but several days later two fishermen found his body in a dry creek bed off Lee Valley Road - about 100 yards from where someone would dump the body of 15-year-old Leah Freeman nearly three decades later.

Glenn had been strangled.

"That's kind of an eerie coincidence that Leah was initially listed as a missing person and then found murdered in the same place," said Jordi Lindegren, a lifetime Coquille resident and public library assistant who provided Coquille Valley Sentinel archives on the case.

E.N. "Corky" Daniels, the city's police chief at the time, said a major crimes team gathered to investigate but quickly ran out of leads.

"It's bugged me for years that we weren't able to clear that case," Daniels said.

Thawing a case

Coquille's current police chief, Mark Dannels, plans to start working on the Glenn case and possibly reopen it once he finishes details on the 10-year-old Freeman case.

In August, his department, with the help of other law enforcement agencies, arrested Nick McGuffin on a charge of murder.

"I need to look at it just like I did with the Leah case," Dannels said.

"There's an obligation and an expectation that we should."

That's not to say Dannels became chief specifically to solve Coquille's cold cases.

"It's a priority based on the degree of the crime. It's a homicide."

Waiting for justice

While the Coquille Police Department managed to close the Freeman case 10 years after Leah's death, multiple cold case homicides still sit among archives in North Bend, Coos Bay, Coquille and the county.

They're waiting for someone to pick them up, dust them off and tackle them again. Maybe this time someone will be held accountable for the deaths.

Among the cold case homicides since 1973 are the Glenn case, the 1982 death of 17-year-old Lynn Lee Donaldson in Coos Bay, the 1981 homicide of 73-year-old North Bend resident Stanley "Doc" Miller, and the murder of Frank Pettingill, who was found dead Labor Day weekend 1991 near his Sumner home.

More recently, there's Jonathan Peters of Idaho, who visited Coos Bay from his new California home in January 2006. His body was found six months later about half a mile from a friend's home on Sumner Lane.

The county also has long-unsolved missing person cases, such as Daniel Dean Trojanek, who disappeared from a North Bend home in 1996, and 14-year-old Jeremy Bright, who vanished at the Coos County Fair in 1986.

What is a cold case?

Coos County District Attorney R. Paul Frasier said cold cases aren't determined by a specific length of time. They are simply criminal cases in which police investigators have explored all their leads and can make no more progress.

That could happen in less than a month or as long as a year.

He said he is directly aware of only two such cases in the area - Pettingill and Peters.

"It's a tragedy. People should be held responsible for their actions," Frasier said.

"You try to do what you can - sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't."

Walked away

When investigators first learned of Peters' disappearance, they treated it as a missing person case. He had walked away from his friend's home of his own volition. At one point, someone called in to police that he had been spotted in Port Orford or Gold Beach.

"It was decided it was a credible report," so investigators stopped looking for him, Frasier said.

"There was no indication that there had been any foul play."

About six months later, a utilities crew found his body in a brushy area. An autopsy indicated Peters died from multiple sharp-force injuries resulting from homicidal violence.

Investigators spoke with nearly 100 witnesses and went to California and Idaho to speak with associates.

"We have just not been able to put a viable case together," Frasier said.

OSP takes case

Oregon State Police Detective John Riddle took over the Jonathan Peters case in 2007 after the county laid off many of its deputies after losing much of its timber subsidies.

Now there is talk at the state level of cutting OSP's criminal division. That would mean there'll be no OSP detectives.

"If OSP loses its detectives, I don't know what we're going to do with the Jonathan Peters case," Frasier said.

Riddle said he already finds it difficult to designate time to the case.

"It is frustrating because you're trying to work this case while you're trying to keep up on your current case load as well," Riddle said.

"I believe we know who is responsible for his murder - it's just a matter of being able to prove it."

Earlier this year, the Peters case was placed on America's Most Wanted website and on a special blog set up by family and friends.

The blog, Solve Jonathan's Murder, provides information, photos and video about the case at http://solvejonathansmurder.blogspot.com.

Solving cold cases

Norman Wight, a former FBI agent and now-inactive cold case investigator, worked on nearly a dozen cold cases for the Escondido Police Department in Southern California.

Among them, he and retired Detective Chuck Gaylor unraveled the department's oldest unsolved case.

Cold cases, he said, come with their own challenges.

"Getting a cold case program is like anything: It takes money. Most departments can't afford it," Wight said.

On top of that, evidence may have been destroyed or lost, potential witnesses may have died, and files have been left incomplete.

Then there's the area itself.

In a small town, only one or two murders may be reported per year, so local officers might not have much experience with major cases.

"It's not their fault, they just don't work them," Wight said.

It's the opposite for major metropolitan departments.

"Their problem is not competence or experience; it's volume."

But all these obstacles can be fought with a dedicated cold case team, new technology and good old police work. Plus, changes in relationships can sometimes result in a break, Wight said.

"If a guy was a thug and he murdered somebody, it's not unusual for him to beat his girlfriend, not pay child support, and eventually she might decide to be cooperative," Wight said.

When Dannels, the Co-quille Police chief, reopened the Leah Freeman case in January, he was counting on time and changed perspectives to help clear the case.

Volunteers

Another key to solving a cold case is having a team that can dedicate the time and patience. Because many departments are underfunded - and most detectives already have full case loads - volunteers are often the best option.

Dannels said that's exactly what he did when he reopened the Freeman case: He brought on six retired police investigators, five of whom had worked directly on the case in 2000.

"Every city has retired detectives who are maybe not doing much who could be good at that kind of work. They have a lot of skill and they have time," Wight said.

But "the reality is that a lot of cold cases will never be solved."

He estimated that nationwide, 60 to 70 percent of murder cases are solved.

"I'd like to solve every case that I work, but doesn't that happen," Wight said. "You feel bad, but you go on."

http://theworldlink.com/news/local/article_82ac5996-c2fb-11df-9493-001cc4c002e0.html
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:57 pm

Hearing Set in Decade-Old Murder Case of Oregon Teen

David Lohr
October 11, 2010

(Oct. 11) -- The former boyfriend of an Oregon teenager who was found dead more than a decade ago is expected to appear in court later this week for a hearing to determine if and when murder charges against him will go to trial.

Nick McGuffin, 28, will appear Thursday before Coos County Circuit Court Judge Richard Barron, according to Oregon's KCBY 11. McGuffin is accused of murdering Leah Freeman, a 15-year-old high school sophomore who disappeared in 2000.

According to the website LeahFreeman.com, Leah was walking near her Coquille home on June 29, 2000, when she vanished. The only clue to her disappearance was a single tennis shoe that was found on a sidewalk.

Multiple searches were conducted for Leah, but authorities uncovered no sign of her. Then, on Aug. 3, 2000, her body was found in a wooded area roughly eight miles from Coquille.

An autopsy revealed that she died as a result of "homicidal violence."

On the day of her disappearance, Leah was supposed to meet with McGuffin, her boyfriend. Police questioned him and executed a search warrant on his vehicle and home, at which time they discovered that he had allegedly removed the trunk liner from his car. McGuffin's father reportedly said that his son had removed the liner and other items because of a fuel leak. Neighbors also told police that the McGuffins had a bonfire in their yard the day after Leah disappeared, CNN reported.

Police were unable to uncover enough evidence to make an arrest, and the case quickly grew cold.

In October 2009, Leah's mother, Cory Courtright, asked the Coquille Police Department and the district attorney's office to reinvestigate the girl's slaying.

"They need to have a dedicated team go back and look through all of the files again, re-interview everyone involved, and re-examine all of the evidence," Courtright said in a statement to the news media.

Courtright's plea was answered in January when authorities formed a cold-case squad to take a second look at the case. Authorities have yet to comment on what they found, but the investigation ultimately resulted in a grand jury indictment on Aug. 24 in which McGuffin was charged with murder.

Sponsored Links
"We've examined the evidence with newer technologies now available to us, and certain witnesses, due to maturity and time, have been able to come forward and provide more information about that night," Coquille Police Chief Mark Dannels told a producer for CNN's "Nancy Grace."

McGuffin is being held on $2 million bail. The status hearing in the case was originally scheduled for today, but the judge agreed to postpone it until Thursday at the request of District Attorney Paul Frasier.

Leah's family members did not respond to a request for comment today from AOL News. In an interview with CNN, Courtright said she is relieved that some progress has been made in the case.

"Words cannot express how relieved I am that they finally arrested Nick," Courtright told the news network.

http://www.aolnews.com/discuss/hearing-set-in-decade-old-murder-case-of-oregon-teen-leah-freeman/19669117
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Boyfriend's arrest cracks cold case, police say

By Rupa Mikkilineni, Nancy Grace Producer
October 11, 2010 6:48 p.m. EDT

New York (CNN) -- More than a decade after high school sophomore Leah Freeman vanished from the street near her home in Coquille, Oregon, police say they have found her killer.

A grand jury concluded it was her boyfriend, after police looked into the cold case a second time. More than 100 people testified before the grand jury, including the boyfriend's best friend, said Coquille Police Chief Mark Dannels.

Acting on the grand jury's indictment, police arrested the boyfriend, Nick McGuffin, on August 24 and charged him with murder.

Police have not disclosed details of what evidence led to his arrest, and McGuffin is being held on $2 million bail. McGuffin, who is now 28, is scheduled to appear in court on Thursday.

McGuffin's attorney, Bob McCrea, has not commented. His office is still reviewing all the evidence presented to the grand jury.

In January, a cold case team of more than 20 members from several police jurisdictions was appointed to look into the case.

"We re-examined the evidence with newer technologies now available to us, and certain witnesses, due to maturity and time, have been able to come forward and provide more information about that night," Dannels said.

Leah, who was 15, was walking home from her best friend's house just as it was getting dark on June 28, 2000. She vanished, leaving one tennis shoe behind on the sidewalk, according to police and news accounts at the time.

A week after she disappeared, Leah's missing shoe was found along a dirt road on the outskirts of Fairview, a neighboring town just a few miles away. A month after that, Leah's body was found in the woods beyond the dirt road.

Leah had been living with her grandparents, older sister Denise and her mother, Cory Courtright, who was struggling to raise two daughters on her own.

"Words cannot express how relieved I am that they finally arrested Nick," Courtright said.

She recalled the last time she saw her daughter alive. Leah and McGuffin were washing his car and horsing around with a wet sponge. It was about 4 p.m., Courtright recalled, and her daughter seemed happy and carefree.

Leah and McGuffin left, and he dropped her off at the home of her best friend, Sherrie Mitchell. He was to return and pick her up at 9 p.m., Courtright said.

She said she later learned from the Mitchells and from police that the two friends had a spat because Sherrie's mother wouldn't let her go jogging with Leah after dark. Leah overheard the argument and then the two girls argued. Leah angrily left the Mitchell home before her boyfriend arrived to pick her up.

The Mitchells told Courtright that McGuffin came by at 9 p.m. to pick up Leah but left when she wasn't there. Courtright said McGuffin returned to the Mitchell home an hour later and called her, asking if Leah had come home.

Courtright reported her daughter missing the next morning. When police tracked McGuffin down, he was at the home of a friend, where they'd been partying the night before, Dannels said. The front porch was covered with empty beer cans and litter, Dannels said.

McGuffin told police he'd searched for his girlfriend the previous night but couldn't find her.

Police executed search warrants on the home of McGuffin's family and their vehicles. They discovered that the trunk of the car he drove had been recently gutted. His father told police there had been a fuel leak so the trunk liner, the spare tire, jack and tire iron had to be removed, Dannels told CNN in March.

Police also learned from neighbors that the family held a bonfire in their yard the day after Leah disappeared.

Forensic testing showed blood spatter on the bottom of the shoe found in Fairview. The sample matched Leah's blood, and experts determined a pattern consistent with medium- to high-velocity blood spatter, which can happen when an object -- a bullet or a car, for example -- hits a person while traveling at high speed.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/11/grace.coldcase.freeman.arrest/index.html?npt=NP1
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:49 pm

McGuffin set for May trial in Leah Freeman homicide

Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:39 pm

A Coos County Circuit Court judge said this afternoon that homicide suspect Nick McGuffin will stand for a 9-day trial.

Beginning on May 10, the trial will be heard by 12 jurors and Coos County Judge Richard Barron.

McGuffin faces one count of murder in the more than a decade-old Leah Freeman homicide. McGuffin had been the 15-year-old Coquille girl's boyfriend at the time of her death.

Coos County District Attorney R. Paul Frasier said although McGuffin's defense team will probably file for a change of venue, the case will likely remain in Coos County unless attorneys are unable to pick an unbiased jury pool. He said he has never seen such a motion granted in the county on a homicide case.

http://www.theworldlink.com/news/local/article_5abf2926-d7dd-11df-96b5-001cc4c002e0.html
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:56 pm

May 2011 trial set for girl's murder a decade ago

Story Published: Oct 14, 2010 at 4:08 PM PDT

COQUILLE, Ore. - The man accused of killing his 15-year-old girlfriend a decade ago will go to trial next May.

Nick McGuffin, 28, has been in custody since his arrest on a murder indictment in August. He is accused of killing Leah Freeman, who was 15 when she disappeared.

McGuffin appeared in court Thursday before Judge Richard Barron for a status hearing on the case. The hearing itself, taking place in front of a room packed with family and friends of both Freeman and McGuffin, was little more than an opportunity for attorneys to synchronize their calenders with the court.

Selection for the 12-member jury is set to begin May 10, 2011, with the trial expected to last nine days.

After the hearing, Coos County District Attorney Paul Frasier said the May date was actually quite a bit sooner than he anticipated, noting a number of scheduling conflicts with other trials that could have pushed this one to 2012.

Attorneys now have until Dec. 15 to file any pre-trial motions in the case.

'I'd do anything to have her back'

Freeman vanished June 28, 2000. She was last seen walking home from a friend's house in Coquille.

Nick McGuffin told investigators he went to go pick her up but never found her.

Police called her a runaway.

Her family feared the 15 year old had been abducted.

Her sister, Denise Freeman, said at the time, "I'd do anything to have her back. I should have been watching her as her big sister."

McGuffin, then 18, gave an interview to KVAL News 8 days after Leah's disappearance.

He said he was in agony that she was missing.

"I just want her back," he said at the time. "She's the best thing that's ever happened to me."

He showed a reporter pictures and video from the prom they had just attended.

"I'd rather have her be a runaway than have her be abducted because then I'd know she's was OK," McGuffin told KVAL News in 2000.

Just days after that interview, Leah's blood splattered shoe was found.

About 5 weeks after she went missing, someone found her decomposed body down an embankment, thrown from an isolated road nine miles out of town.

Court records show investigators searched McGuffin's home and car. They gave him a polygraph test, which court documents show he failed.

Prosecutors even offered immunity to his friend, Brent Bartley, if he testified before the grand jury.

But McGuffin was never named as a suspect. The case went cold - until last year.

That's when a new police chief, Mark Dannels, reopened the case under family and community pressure.

A team of investigators interviewed hundreds of witnesses.

Over a series of month they presented all the evidence to the grand jury. In August, the grand jury indicted McGuffin for Freeman's murder.

http://www.kcby.com/news/local/104989459.html

FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:42 pm

Justice for Leah Freeman: Hunt for Popular Oregon Teen's Killer
Ten Years After 15-Year-Old's Body Was Found, Suspicion Surrounds Then-Boyfriend Nick McGuffin

Oct. 15, 2010

More than a decade after 15-year-old Leah Freeman's body was found dumped a few miles from her home in Coquille, Ore., a trial date has been set for the man accused of killing her.

Nick McGuffin, who was Leah's boyfriend at the time of her death in 2000, is expected to stand trial for her murder on May 10, 2011.

After a grand jury's indictment was handed down, police arrested McGuffin on Aug. 24, 2010 and charged him with murder.

When police arrived at McGuffin's home, he was retrieving his mail and still wearing a uniform from his job as a short-order cook. He stood quietly as police read him his rights and handcuffed him.

"I didn't do it. Love of my life, man," he told "20/20" at the time of his arrest. "They have nothing else to go on, and I'm the boyfriend."

McGuffin pleaded not guilty and continues to maintain his innocence. His bail was set at $2 million.

Leah was a high school freshman when she disappeared in August 2000 after leaving a friend's house. Police initially treated the disappearance as a runaway teen case. Weeks later, the girl's decomposing body was found on a wooded roadside slope a few miles outside town.

Authorities said circumstantial evidence initially pointed to then-18-year-old McGuffin. But there was no hard evidence to link him to the crime.

Leah's best friend, Cherie Mitchell, said she thought Leah's relationship with the high school senior was bad for her.

"I think that he was kind of dangerous and, you know, maybe she liked the danger side of him," Mitchell said.

Leah's mother, Cory Courtwright, said that she did not approve of her daughter's relationship either.

"I found out that they were being sexually active, and that was disturbing for me," Courtwright said.

On the night of Leah's disappearance, Mitchell confronted her friend and told Leah she should break-up with McGuffin. Furious, Leah stormed out. She last was seen walking alone near a gas station in downtown Coquille, but she never made it home.

Justice for Leah: A Small Town Is in Uproar Over the Teen's Death

Former Police Chief Mike Reeves, who was head of the town's police department in 2000, turned down several requests to be interviewed, but recently told ABC News' Jim Avila that five days passed after Leah was reported missing before he was convinced of foul play.

Two blood-splattered gym shoes found miles apart had surfaced during that time and it would take investigators another month to find her body, but still no arrests were made.

As the years dragged on, the small community of Coquille, a town of about 4,000 residents, became more furious that Leah's murderer hadn't been caught.

A new police chief, Mark Dannels, vowed to solve the case and a team of forensic experts known as the Vidocq Society, based in Philadelphia, was brought in to advise on the case.

A crime-solving team made up of former FBI special agents, police officers, forensics experts and profilers, the Vidocq Society specializes in solving cold cases. One of the members, forensic pathologist Richard Walters, traveled to Oregon to review the evidence early last spring.

After reexamining Leah's bloody shoes and how her body was dumped, Walters labeled Leah's killer a "power assertive crime type."

"Power assertive is that muscle flexing, tectonic kind of braggart who thinks he's John Wayne, who wants to be a bigger man than what he is," Walters said. "The end goal was to get [Leah] dead and to get her dead in the most efficient way."

With this fresh perspective on the case, police were even more convinced that their prime suspect from the beginning, Leah's boyfriend, Nick McGuffin, was her killer.

But without a DNA match or an eyewitness, they needed enough evidence to build a circumstantial case that would hold up in court. They again reviewed integration tapes of McGuffin's account of what happened the night Leah disappeared.

McGuffin claimed he went to Leah's friend Cherie Mitchell's house to look for her around 9 p.m., but Leah already had stormed off. Then, he said he drove around for hours in his 1967 Ford Mustang looking for her.

Police and Friends Begin to Suspect Leah's Boyfriend, Nick McGuffin

Police said they had several witnesses who saw McGuffin acting strangely that night, including Mitchell, who said he showed up at her house a second time at around 10 p.m.

"He was definitely, you know, jumpy, talking fast," she said. "It was definitely odd."

Police also noticed that McGuffin seemed convinced that the worst had happened to Leah when they first interviewed him in 2000, and that he kept reverting back to past tense in his written statements.

"He tells us that Cherie was, was, her best friend, and the question is: How does he know that Cherie and Leah are no longer best friends?" said Mark Mclish, a handwriting expert who specializes in statement analysis. "The answer is 'cause he knows that at this point in time, Leah's dead."

Police then reexamined McGuffin's Mustang, even though it had already been sprayed with a chemical called luminal to test for the presence of blood during the initial investigation in 2000.

"There was nothing in there," said police chief Mark Dannels. "It had been cleaned. It had been wiped."

During the second round of searching, police got a huge break in the case.

Another witness, Kristen Steinoff, was questioned, and told police that McGuffin had stopped by her house around midnight on the night of Leah's disappearance. She said she and McGuffin did drugs, and when he tried to have sex with her, she refused. He also barrowed her car that night -- a Kia.

"Here's a guy that's worried about his girlfriend, that he's frantic about her ... but he's making a move on this girl," Dannels said.

The Kia had been sold, but detectives traced it back to its new owner in northern Idaho. After searching it, they found it, too, had been thoroughly cleaned, with air fresheners placed in the passenger side compartment and the trunk.

Steinoff was bought in again for questioning. She insisted she knew nothing about what happened to Leah, but then revealed to police that she had seen McGuffin twice that night. When he came around a second time, he was wearing different clothes and had threatened her.

"He started saying to keep my mouth shut," she said. "Then, I kind of figured that he did have something to do with it because of the way he was acting."

Police Arrest McGuffin After 100 People Testify at a Grand Jury Hearing

By that point, it was 2010 and police believed they had enough witnesses to prove McGuffin had lied about his whereabouts and he was the only one with a motive.

Steinoff and 100 other people testified in front of a grand jury, hoping to convince it that there was enough evidence to indict McGuffin for homicide. Shortly after the decision was handed down, police arrested him.

The question still remains: If McGuffin did kill Leah, what was his motive?

According to police, Leah allegedly had told some of her friends that her period was late and she possibly was pregnant. He was 18 and she was 15, and police suspect that McGuffin feared statutory rape charges.

After his arrest, McGuffin's family claimed that drug dealers should be investigated for Leah's death.

Leah's mother, Cory Courtright, said she doesn't believe there will ever be closure for her, but believed her daughter deserved justice.

"I just can't stand the thought of somebody getting away with taking such a beautiful, young life. It's just wrong," she said. "Whoever did this needs to pay."

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/leah-freeman-cold-case-decade-oregon-killing-solved/story?id=11871048&page=1
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:43 am

McGuffin faces May murder trial

Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 11:00 am

COQUILLE -- The wait to get into the courtroom was longer than the hearing itself.

Within two minutes of Coos County Circuit Court Judge Richard Barron's appearance in court, he had set a trial, motion and omnibus dates. Then he promptly closed the status hearing for murder suspect Nick McGuffin.

A projected nine-day, 12-person-jury trial, starting May 10, 2011, will determine McGuffin's involvement in the 2001 death of Leah Freeman, his former girlfriend. If convicted on the one count of murder, 28-year-old McGuffin could face a life in prison with a 25-year-minimum sentence.

Before the hearing, Leah's mother, Cory Courtright, said she was nervous, but she and family later described the hearing 'short and sweet."

Emotions in the courtroom

Unlike his arraignment, neither McGuffin nor Courtright cried in the courtroom. She did scrunch her face in disgust, however, when she saw McGuffin shackled and dressed in a blue Coos County jail uniform.

He said nothing at the hearing.

Tension also was obvious between the Courtright/Freeman family and McGuffin's relatives. As Courtright and her family were led into the courtroom first, McGuffin's father, Bruce, complained loudly to Court Administrator Ed Jones.

'Why aren't we seated first when it's our son whose on trial?" Bruce McGuffin of Coquille said.

Jones said it's a common procedure for victims' families. The McGuffins and the media walked in next.

Two Coos County sheriff's deputies remained at the hearing to prevent any potential tussles.

'Emotions are high in this case ... so just to keep things calm we had a couple of extra deputies today," said Coos County District Attorney R. Paul Frasier.

Besides setting the trial, Barron told Frasier and Eugene defense attorney Shaun McRea they'll have until Dec. 15 to file pretrial motions.

Change of venue?

Those could include a change of venue request, although Frasier later said that a decision to move the trial elsewhere could come as late as jury selection if it proves difficult to find 12 unbiased jurors and two alternates.

Frasier said it's typical for defense teams file for the change, but he has never seen such a motion granted in Coos County on a homicide case.

They'll run into problems if most potential jurors say ''I've made up my mind, I can't be fair.'"

'I'm not worried about it at this point," Frasier said.

'It's never been an issue for me before."

The start of the trial comes earlier than Frasier expected. With his and Barron's caseload, he feared it wouldn't be tried until 2012.

Next year, the DA is scheduled to prosecute other homicide cases, including a Bandon-area double homicide case in August 2011 and one in January in which a Bandon-area is alleged to have shot his wife in the head.

Fewer witnesses

Frasier said he plans to call fewer witnesses than he brought before a grand jury in August to help indict McGuffin in Leah's death. At that time, more than 100 testified in person, via videoconferencing or written statement.

Because there were many theories surrounding the case, he called so many to discuss other possibilities that could have been at play. That number will be pared down by May because many of their statements won't pertain to the trial.

He added that he and the defense team, made up of McCrea and her father, Bob, have 5,500 pages of discovery to review for the case.

'They have everything I have," he said.

The DA would not discuss whether there has been any attempt at a plea negotiation.

http://www.theworldlink.com/news/local/article_3e210e01-8a6c-5c69-96df-4af6dcbbbdb9.html
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2