Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stolen As Baby In 1987, Woman Reunited With Family

3 posters

Go down

Stolen As Baby In 1987, Woman Reunited With Family Empty Stolen As Baby In 1987, Woman Reunited With Family

Post by Piper Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:06 pm

Stolen As Baby In 1987, Woman Reunited With Family

January 20, 2011

One of the more remarkable stories of the morning is the news that a woman who was apparently stolen from a New York City hospital as a baby in 1987 has been reunited with her birth mother.

Read more:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/01/20/133074338/stolen-as-baby-in-1987-woman-reunited-with-family?ft=1&f=1003
Piper
Piper

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Stolen As Baby In 1987, Woman Reunited With Family Empty Re: Stolen As Baby In 1987, Woman Reunited With Family

Post by Piper Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:07 pm

Today show video:

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Piper
Piper

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Stolen As Baby In 1987, Woman Reunited With Family Empty Re: Stolen As Baby In 1987, Woman Reunited With Family

Post by pi-girl Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:58 pm

Wow! This is amazing and exciting for the girl and her parents. bounce
But still so sad for the lost years. Sad
pi-girl
pi-girl

Mood : Shifty

http://pauseforthechildren.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:02 pm

FBI: Woman Confesses to Kidnapping Infant Carlina White in 1987
Jan 24, 2011 – 4:30 PM

A North Carolina woman has confessed to kidnapping an infant from a New York City hospital more than 23 years ago, authorities said in court papers filed today.

Annugetta Pettway, also known as Ann Pettway, told investigators she had suffered a number of miscarriages before she grabbed 1-month-old Carlina Renae White from Harlem Hospital in New York City on Aug. 4, 1987, FBI agent Maria Johnson said in a criminal complaint.

Pettway, 49, from Raleigh, N.C., appeared briefly today in federal court in Manhattan, where she was charged with kidnapping. She was ordered held without bond.

Authorities say Pettway posed as a nurse and stole the baby, naming her Nejdra Nance and raising her as her own. White, now 23, was reunited last week with her birth parents, Carl Tyson and Joy White, who were divorced in the years after the abduction, ABC News reported.

Pettway told investigators that after several miscarriages, she feared that she would never be able to have a child, Johnson said in the court documents. Pettway said she went to Harlem Hospital, where she spotted baby Carlina and snatched her, taking the infant on the train to her own home in Bridgeport, Conn., Johnson said.

"In Connecticut, Pettway told her friends and family members that the victim was her child," the document says.

The complaint says Pettway wrote a statement indicating she knew it was "totally unacceptable" for her to steal another family's child.

"Pettway is truly sorry," it says.

"Nothing can compensate Carlina White or her parents for what was stolen from them when she was seized from the Harlem Hospital 23 years ago. But now they have been reunited, and the woman who allegedly kidnapped Carlina and deprived this family of the lives they would have had together will be prosecuted in Manhattan federal court," Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said.

Carlina's father said today he would like to have a sit-down with the alleged kidnapper.

"Why?" asked Tyson on NBC's "Today" show this morning. "That is all I have for her, is why. Then, [I would] listen to what she has to say to me. Then I can probably answer some of her questions or ask her some more questions."

Nance grew up in Bridgeport. She suspected she wasn't really related to the woman she called mom. When she asked Pettway for her birth certificate, Pettway said she did not have proper documents because Nance had been given to her by a woman who used drugs, according to the court document.

Nance went looking for her real parents. Finally, she found her baby picture on a missing children's website.

Pettway's guilt or innocence ultimately will be decided in a court of law. That's fine with Tyson, who says he is no longer focused on the legal aspects of the case.

"I have changed over the years," Tyson said on NBC. "Whatever the court system applies to her is all right with me. But I am not going to say too much on that because I have other things in my heart."

Those other things revolve around creating a relationship with the daughter he never got to see grow into a woman, a relationship that Tyson says White is struggling with.

"You know, I am happy my daughter came back to me," Tyson told NBC. "The ... problem I am having right about now is it is hard for her to cope with us ... because she hasn't been with us for 23 years. I know she wants to reunite with us and everything, but on the other hand she has this family that she has been with."

Tyson said that he too is confused, but he is happy to have the opportunity to develop a new relationship with his long-lost daughter.

"The day I met her, I looked at her and [thought], 'Wow, I don't know what to do with her,' " Tyson told NBC. "She said, 'I don't know what to do with you, either.' So I said, 'What do you do with a 23-year-old?' "

Tyson added, "It was hard that day, but I enjoyed her. I can't make up for the lost time. I can just take care of right now."

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/24/carlina-whites-dad-wants-to-ask-kidnapping-suspect-ann-pettway/?icid=maing%7Cmain5%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk2%7C38804

FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Mood : Neener

http://www.realitychatter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down