Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Massive Quake Hits Japan ~ Tsunami in Pacific

+3
Estee
Julie
Piper
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Massive Quake Hits Japan ~ Tsunami in Pacific Empty Massive Quake Hits Japan ~ Tsunami in Pacific

Post by Piper Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:15 am

MASSIVE QUAKE HITS JAPAN
Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

March 11, 2011 8:09 a.m. EST

For more news visit CNN affiliates KHON and KHNL.

Tokyo (CNN) -- The most powerful earthquake to hit Japan in at least 100 years unleashed walls of water Friday that swept across rice fields, engulfing towns, dragging houses onto highways and tossing cars and boats like toys.

Local media reported at least 50 deaths, with more casualties feared.

And the 8.9-magnitude quake, which struck at 2:46 p.m. local time, prompted the U.S. National Weather Service to issue a tsunami warning for at least 50 countries and territories.

It also sparked fires in at least 80 locations, Kyodo news reported.

Its epicenter was offshore 373 kilometers (231 miles) away from Tokyo, the United States Geological Survey said.

But residents there continued to feel aftershocks hours after the quake. More than 30 aftershocks followed, with the strongest measuring 7.1.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/11/japan.quake/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1
Piper
Piper

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Massive Quake Hits Japan ~ Tsunami in Pacific Empty Re: Massive Quake Hits Japan ~ Tsunami in Pacific

Post by Piper Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:19 am

I was awake at 5am this morning, not sure why. Watching the tsunami take over the farmlands was unreal. I hope it doesn't hit Hawaii and the west coast of North America.........

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Massive Quake Hits Japan ~ Tsunami in Pacific Empty Re: Massive Quake Hits Japan ~ Tsunami in Pacific

Post by Julie Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:02 am

I watched the coverage of this too, and I agree, it is unreal.
Prayers for all the people affected by this.
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life
Mood : Musical

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:53 am

With this quake and tsunami hitting the Pacific coast I have started worrying even more about my daughter's forthcoming trip to Coasta Rica...She is going March 27 and will be gone a week...I sure hope that nothing bad happens...I know I shouldn't have negative thoughts, but it's hard knowing what has just happened...
Estee
Estee

Mood : Neener

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:20 am

I've been watching the various news footage of this disaster. So sad, so tragic, so devastating! Sad
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:54 am

Report: 2,000 bodies found in northeast Japan

By the CNN Wire StaffMarch 14, 2011 7:25 a.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Approximately 2,000 bodies were found Monday in Miyagi Prefecture on Japan's northeast coast, the Kyodo news agency reported.

If confirmed, the discovery would be the largest yet of victims from last week's devastating earthquake and tsunami.

Roughly 1,000 bodies were found coming ashore on Miyagi's Ojika Peninsula, while another 1,000 were seen in the town of Minamisanriku, where some 10,000 people are unaccounted for, Kyodo reported.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/13/japan.miyagi.deaths/index.html?hpt=T1

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:57 am

Estee, I can certainly understand your worry over your daughter traveling.

I've been following this all weekend as well. The survivors are starving and freezing. They've run out of body bags and coffins. Then with the nuclear plant problems........it's horrific.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:05 am

This link has 21 interactive before & after photos. It's down a little past the halfway point of the page.

------------

Interactive: Japan before and after the disaster

These aerial photos show locations in Japan before and after the 8.9-magnitude earthquake and tsunami that struck on Friday, March 11. Use the slider below the images to reveal the changes in the landscape.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42066622?gt1=43001
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sitemama Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:16 pm

Thanks Julie for the aerial views and comparisons. This is the most devastating pictures I have ever seen. It's like someone went in and erased all the buildings from the pictures. How horrible.
sitemama
sitemama
Admin

Mood : Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:20 pm

You're welcome Mama.
Those are some hard images to look at.
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:26 pm

It's as bad as Andrew hitting South Florida...Nothing left of houses but toothpicks...It is so hard to imagine devastation as bad as this but these pictures don't lie..I can't even begin to fathom the length of time it will take to rebuild, or even how long these poor people will have to suffer...The death toll rises with each passing moment, and it's not over yet...Who knows the results of the impending radiation contamination, the effects of which can last a lifetime and include future generations of the inhabitants...I grieve for these people and pray that they are strong in their faith and can rebuild their towns and lives...
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:31 pm

Very well said, Estee!
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:43 am

Some really important info & links here:

The situation in Japan

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:42 pm
Dear Hinky Members,

I realize we come here to discuss cases, primarily involving children who have been abused or murdered, that are hinky in nature and cry for justice. But I'm asking if we could just take a minute to discuss the situation in Japan.

Read more:
http://thehinkymeter.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1086
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:21 am

Hi, Julie!

Thank you for posting the Link to Val's article. The comments by Val in that section are very educational.

This is a tragic disaster. My prayers and thoughts are with the people of Japan and those world wide who have family and friends in Japan.
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:49 am

A poster, EliGrandma, posted this Link at The Hinky Meter in honor of the many devastated souls in Japan that it may lift them up and they have someone to stand by them.

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2539741
vimeo.com

Stand by Me/ Playing for Change/ Song Around the World
~~~~~

I think this is beautiful and awesome!

Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:57 am

Japan Faces Potential Nuclear Disaster as Radiation Levels Rise

By HIROKO TABUCHI, DAVID E. SANGER and KEITH BRADSHER
New York Times - World - Asia Pacific

Published: March 15, 2011

TOKYO — Japan’s nuclear crisis verged toward catastrophe on Tuesday after an explosion damaged the vessel containing the nuclear core at one reactor and a fire at another spewed large amounts of radioactive material into the air, according to the statements of Japanese government and industry officials.

Read more:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/world/asia/16nuclear.html?src=twrhp
~~~~~~~

Within this article, to the left, if you click on Multimedia, it will take you to an excellent slideshow. There is a slideshow below this one. (2 slide shows) After you click on, you will see a page with a small circle. Give it time to load.

How a Reactor Shuts Down and What Happens in a Meltdown
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:07 pm

Although we, here in North America, have our disasters (natural and manmade) we have not experienced anything of the magnitude of what Japan has gone through...It was bad enough that WWII destroyed their towns and villages and very nearly depleted their populus...Now they are faced with the task of completely rebuilding with limited resources...I don't think there is an area of the world that will not be affected by their tragedy...We know what it is like to be without electricity...Some of us know what it is like to be homeless...no shelter, no clothing, hungry and unable to bathe and perform bodily functions in privacy...Just add to that all the sick that need tending to and the enormous task of identifying the dead, let alone recover their bodies...Do any of you remember the pictures of dead bodies piled on carts and being tossed onto those carts, and the mass graves??? Pictures taken during the Holocaust??? I still have those images burned into my brain...That definately was a manmade disaster...

Little do we realize that it is not impossible for us, here, to have a natural disaster with effects as bad as what has befallen upon Japan...We have had horrible hurricanes, tornados, flooding...killer snow storms...yes even earthquakes and fires..we have had impending threats of missle attacks from Russia, Cuba and other foreign countries...We have even worried about radiation poisioning...Do YOU have a fallout shelter??? Is it stocked with what would be sufficient to sustain life for an undetermined amount of time??? Is it earthquake proof???

What more can I say...Stay strong in your faith and pray for others.. afro
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by pi-girl Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:41 pm

Well stated, Estee! It is a sad situation indeed and none of us are immune.
pi-girl
pi-girl

Mood : Shifty

http://pauseforthechildren.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:32 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110315/wl_time/httpnewsfeedtimecom20110315miraclesinjapanfourmontholdbaby70yearoldwomanfoundalivexidrssfullworldyahoo

Miracles in Japan: Four-Month Old Baby, 70-Year Old Woman Found Alive

I love miracle stories! I love you
Sherry
Sherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:15 pm

So do I, Sherry, it's a light, a shimmer of hope in times of great darkness. To find life amid the destruction lifts the human spirit.

Very well said, Estee! Are any of us prepared for such a disaster, I know I'm not. In my area it's floods and tornadoes.........earthquakes ~ no way, but.........

I've felt 3 earth "shakes" in SW Ohio since 1980, and we joked about it! A major earthquake in mid-USA? No way........but it's a fact, a deadly fact.

It's the New Madrid Fault

New Madrid Fault Earthquake Zone

Massive Quake Hits Japan ~ Tsunami in Pacific New_ma10

Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:26 am

I watched a lot of coverage last night, it's just unreal. Thanks for all of the updates.

Sherry, they showed the dogs and the rescue team that went after them. Heartwarming to see a dog care for another like that. Razz
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:35 am

Piper, did you watch the video about the supermoon that is in the list of videos at the end of the Cavuto tape? Fascinating! And it adds to what the geologist said.

I saw a huge moon with my friend about five years ago or so and it was larger than any harvest moon she ever saw when she lived on the east coast. I never saw a moon that BIG. Now, no one really said much about it in our area so we have no idea if it was just a harvest moon. I tell ya, we were in awe! It was so close that we felt as if we could touch it! And it was so bright it was like daylight out at 10pm. It was lovely to behold. Very Happy
Sherry
Sherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:44 am

An awesome youtube made by Val @ HM.

Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pi-girl Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:55 am

I agree, Julie! That video is awesome.
Thank you for posting it on here!
pi-girl
pi-girl

Mood : Shifty

http://pauseforthechildren.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:16 am

That was a beautiful tribute by Val.

When I watched the first videos of the tsunami hitting the towns one of the things I thought of was some of the beauty of Japan coming to ruin. But, the way that the people treat each other with respect during this hard time makes up for it by far. Even with the short supplies for the shelters no one is committing crimes against another. Alot could be learned from the Japanese.
Sherry
Sherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:35 pm

Family mourns American teacher's death in Japan

By Miranda Leitsinger, Senior Writer and Editor, msnbc.com

An American family was in mourning Monday after learning that their daughter and sibling, a teacher and lifelong student of Japanese culture, had been found dead in Japan –- the first known American victim of the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

Taylor Anderson, a 24-year-old from Richmond, Va., had lived in Japan since August 2008. She was last seen after the powerful earthquake struck Japan on March 11, riding her bike away from the school where she taught after helping to get her students home.

Read more:
http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/21/6313764-family-mourns-american-teachers-death-in-japan?GT1=43001
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:45 pm

Tsunami leaves dozens of schoolchildren stranded

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:56 pm

This just gets more heartbreaking as the hours go on! Food, cold, shelter, radiation.......... Sad
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by sitemama Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:00 pm

One of the dancers on Dancing with the Stars was a victim of a Tsunami a few years ago, and had her pelvis broken in 4 places. Her partner said when they met to practice on March 11th, she was very emotional after hearing the news of what happened in Japan. When they danced tonight, she dedicated her dance to the ppl of Japan.
sitemama
sitemama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:39 am

I remember seeing her story on the news when that happened, she was a model. Her fiance died, she clung to life on a tree.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:05 am

$500,000 vanishes from tsunami-ravaged bank
'Somebody stole the money in the midst of the chaos,' Japanese police official says

By SHINO YUASA
The Associated Press

updated 1 hour 32 minutes ago 2011-03-22T12:04:08

TOKYO — The earthquake and tsunami that pulverized coastal Japan crippled a bank's security mechanisms and left a vault wide open. That allowed someone to walk off with 40 million yen ($500,000).

Read more:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42208038/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:09 am

'When can we go home?' tsunami survivors ask
Prefab homes rise but that's little comfort to 400,000 displace

By TODD PITMAN
The Associated Press
updated 3/21/2011 5:25:10 PM ET 2011-03-21T21:25:10

snipped:

On Monday, construction workers outside the school screwed in the corrugated aluminum rooftop of one of the first temporary homes to spring up: a metal-sided box raised on wooden stilts above a muddy soccer field.

The house is one of 135 that will be built at the school by the Iwate provincial government, and one of thousands that will go up in the coming months outside other shelters scattered across Rikuzentakata's hilly outskirts. Residents will likely stay in them for a couple of years until more permanent homes are ready.

(bolded by me)

Massive Quake Hits Japan ~ Tsunami in Pacific H10

Read more:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42201148/ns/world_news-asiapacific/?gt1=43001
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:09 am

You know, this is the first I've heard of any theft or looting amidst this tragedy. During Hurricane Katrina people were smashing store windows, carting off TV's, jewelry, food and anything else they could get their hands on.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:16 am

I know, they've mentioned that several times on tv. And this is the first looting I've heard of too.
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:07 pm

The article is kind of long, but very interesting, esp. the part about bananas and granite countertops.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FDA halts imports of dairy, produce from Japan
Seafood will still be sold, but will be screened first

msnbc.com staff and news service reports
updated 1 hour 15 minutes ago 2011-03-22T23:42:33

The Food and Drug Administration said Tuesday it will halt imports of dairy products and produce from the area of Japan where a nuclear reactor is leaking radiation.

The FDA said those foods will be detained at entry and will not be sold to the public. The agency previously said it would just step up screening of those foods.

Other foods imported from Japan, including seafood, still will be sold to the public but screened first for radiation.

Read more:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42215049/ns/health-food_safety/
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next