Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carlie Jane Brucia -- Found Deceased 2/1/04

3 posters

Go down

Carlie Jane Brucia -- Found Deceased 2/1/04 Empty Carlie Jane Brucia -- Found Deceased 2/1/04

Post by Piper Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:22 am

Carlie Jane Brucia -- Found Deceased 2/1/04 Carlie10

Carlie Jane Brucia (March 16, 1992 – February 1, 2004)

On March 16th, 2011 Carlie would have been celebrating her 19th birthday. She was only 11 years old when she was brutally taken from this world. I've always carried a special attachment to this beautiful young girl. I was visiting family in Sarasota when Carlie went missing and her story has never left my heart.

Carlie was on her way home from a sleepover at her friend's house. Her step father was on his way to pick her up but never found her. Carlie had decided to walk home and cut through the back of Evie's Car Wash on Bee Ridge Rd and was led away by a man, never to be seen again.

Evie's Car Wash ~ Sarasota, Florida ~ the last time Carlie was seen, caught on camera. The images of this young girl being abducted is so haunting, as she was led away by a man to her ultimate death.

On February 6, 2004 Carlie's body was found behind a local church after Joseph P. Smith revealed where he'd left Carlie. Joseph P. Smith now sits on Florida's Death Row.

Happy Birthday, Carlie!
Carlie Jane Brucia -- Found Deceased 2/1/04 605764

http://www.carliescrusade.org/webpages/SurveillanceVideo.asp

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/famous/carlie_brucia/1.html

Last edited by Piper on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Piper
Piper

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Carlie Jane Brucia -- Found Deceased 2/1/04 Empty Re: Carlie Jane Brucia -- Found Deceased 2/1/04

Post by Piper Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:26 am

Carlie Jane Brucia -- Found Deceased 2/1/04 Carlie11
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Carlie Jane Brucia -- Found Deceased 2/1/04 Empty Re: Carlie Jane Brucia -- Found Deceased 2/1/04

Post by Piper Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:36 am

Carlie Jane Brucia -- Found Deceased 2/1/04 Carlie12

Carlie Brucia, 11, in an undated photo released by the Sarasota County Sheriff's office. Family friend Chessie Huber described Carlie as a beautiful girl who loved actress Jennifer Lopez, going to the mall and hanging out with her friends. The blond, blue-eyed youngster had a cat named Charlie and was known for greeting friends with warm hugs.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-500144_162-598437.html#ixzz1HUL3BbyU
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:42 am

Carlie Remembered by her Grandmother...

"She has been described as "blonde and bubbly" - Carlie was very affectionate - a great hugger - when she was in NY she loved to go to the movies with her dad, go shopping and then go out for ice cream. Her favorite ice cream was mint chocolate chip - I always had that in the house for her when she visited. When she was at our house, she would shoot baskets in the driveway with her Aunt Jeannie and play softball in the backyard with Aunt Katelyn and the rest of the family. We would have barbeques and she loved to toast marshmallows.

When we were out at Montauk, Joe and Joey built a huge bonfire and we toasted marshmallows at night while sitting along the beach

Always In Our Hearts

Last edited by Piper on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:57 am

Carlie Brucia's Killer Sentenced to Death for 11-Year-Old's Murder

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Carlie Jane Brucia -- Found Deceased 2/1/04 Dead_m10

Dead man walking, Jospeh P. Smith, cries...........

"The scales of life and death tip unquestionably toward death," said Circuit Judge Andrew Owens.

Before announcing Joseph Smith's death punishment on the charge of first-degree murder, the judge said Smith faces life in prison without the possibility of parole for the assault and kidnapping of his victim.

Owens then agreed with the jury's earlier 10-to-2 recommendation that be executed. Smith showed no emotion as Owens read either sentence.

"Carlie endured unspeakable trauma, which began at the time of her kidnapping," the judge said before announcing the sentence. "The image of the defendant taking her arm and leading her away no doubt will forever be etched in our minds."

During the sexual and physical abuse Carlie was subjected to, the judge said, "at 11 years of age, there is no doubt she was aware of her dire predicament and that she had little or no hope of survival."

He added: "Her death was conscious less and pitiless ... calculated and premeditated."

The judge was required by law to give great weight to that recommendation when he makes his ruling but was not bound to that recommendation. Smith has 30 days to appeal the sentence and punishment meted out by the court.

Carlie's stepfather, Steven Kansler, buried his face in his hands as Owens read details of the crimes before sentencing Smith.

"I thought I'd feel a lot different," Kansler said afterward. "But it still hurts. It doesn't change anything. I just feel that Carlie has been heard. Her soul is gone now. Now it's just a matter of time to wait to watch Joe Smith die."

Read more:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187948,00.html

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:09 am

Had it not been for the surveillance camera of this local business, who knows how long it would have taken to find Carlie, let alone who kidnapped her.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by TigerMom Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:45 pm

Piper,
Thank you so much for this thread. I remember this case so clearly. I can close my eyes and see it in my head, I was glued to the TV until the dreaded news came in that she was found murdered. I knew children went missing everyday but until I actually saw that video of that beautiful child belng led away by a stranger, I guess I chose not to believe it. Plus as I watched in horror over and over again I was now the mother of 5. One of those was a 10 year old little girl. I think her video should be shown in schools to educate both good parents and children that it "does" happen to smart children within a few blocks of their home. This case and that video is the reason our LE today know to quickly access any and all footage. She truly is an angel for all of our children and will always remain in my heart also, as well as anyone else who took the time to watch and learn from this horrific crime.
Our children need education and skills to avoid these pediophiles as we are not always able to be there to protect and guide them. I believe children can be taught a healthy fear at young age and in this sick world need to be more so than ever. Carlie, your smiling face will always be with me and I am so sorry you never got to grow up but I know you are a beautiful angel in heaven.
TigerMom
TigerMom

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Thanks for starting this thread Piper. I remember hearing about this case when Carlie went missing and was heartbroken that she wasn't found alive.

I think showing her video would be a good idea Tigermom. Children need to be aware of the dangers that pedophiles pose. They should also show the videos of Victoria Stafford and Sandra Cantu and make children aware that even females can sometimes pose a danger. It's sad that the world has come to this, but I honestly don't think a child should ever walk anywhere alone.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Mood : Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:21 pm

He made a split second decision when he saw her cross the street heading towards the back of the car wash after watching her walk down the street, then drove up and around the building and trapped her. He had a history of abusing women in this manner and the gall to say "I thought she was older, I didn't realize she was only 11 years old". The other thing, he had violated his parole several times and should not have been out on the street to begin with. He had been kicked out of his home by his wife and borrowed a friend's car to go score some cocaine, ultimately kidnapped, raped and murdered Carlie.

The video and stills were enhanced and shown repeatedly on local television. He was recognized pretty quickly and people started coming forward.

~Snipped~
The abductor, wearing a mechanic's uniform complete with a name tag, had heavily tattooed arms. He appeared to be about 5-foot-8 with a sturdy build and dark hair.

NASA and the FBI helped enhance the images, and investigators asked the public for tips.

They got 800 of them, including several with precisely the same message, according to police investigative notes.

"The person's name is Joe Smith," said one tipster, a friend who said he recognized Smith from the haircut and his gait.

A second "stated emphatically that (the) guy on video was definitely Joe Smith."

A third, a woman, said she was "100 percent sure (the) suspect is Joe Smith."

(It later came to light that the callers included Smith's former business partner, a former employer and a housemate.)

Police visited Smith's former home and spoke with his estranged wife, Luz Castrillon. She directed detectives to the place where he was staying. Police found drug paraphernalia there and arrested Smith as a probation violator.

Smith didn't have much to say.

But his hosts, Jeff and Naomi Pincus, were able to fill in a few blanks.

Jeff Pincus said Smith borrowed their yellow Buick station wagon on Sunday afternoon, a couple of hours before the Super Bowl. He said he would be back in 15 minutes. But he didn't show up until Monday morning, 16 hours later.

Pincus had checked the mileage before Smith left and when he returned. His pal had driven the car 382 miles.

And how did Smith seem when he finally returned home?

"Like he had a good night sleep or he's real happy," Pincus told detectives. "He just looked like he had a wonderful night."

Nothing in particular seemed to weigh on him.

Later that same day, Smith had paid a cordial visit to his wife and their three young daughters.

Castrillon said he seemed normal—the same old Joe.

In depth story here:
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/famous/carlie_brucia/1.html

Last edited by Piper on Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:31 pm

Carlie Jane Brucia -- Found Deceased 2/1/04 Carlie17
Bench in Carlie's Garden

Carlie's Secret Memorial Garden was dedicated on February 1, 2005 -- one year after the 11-year-old Carlie Brucia, a sixth grader at McIntosh Middle School went missing.

The garden on the grounds of McIntosh Middle serves as an outdoor science classroom for current students and a memorial to Carlie.

Recently, students from Booker High School under the supervision of Bennett Briandi, ESE teacher at Booker High, traveled to the middle school to help revamp and spruce up the garden.

"It's a magnificent gesture on behalf of Booker High School to take it upon themselves to revitalize this community legacy," said Robert Hagemann, principal at McIntosh Middle School.

After two weeks of prep work by David Gwatney's sixth-grade students the secret garden was ready for both the high-schoolers and students from Carol Luce's eighth-grade class to work their magic.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20081217/ARTICLE/812170330?p=3&tc=pg

Slideshow:
http://spotted.heraldtribune.com/photos/index.php?id=1857793

Last edited by Piper on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:31 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : To add slideshow link)
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Carlie Brucia annual Kid Safety Rally

Saturday, February 05, 2011

The seventh annual Kid Safety Rally that promoted child safety in honor of Carlie Brucia.

Carlie Jane Brucia -- Found Deceased 2/1/04 Carlie16

Visitors strolled Carlie Brucia's, Garden of Joy, during the seventh annual Kid Safety Rally held at the Central Church of Christ in Sarasota that promoted child safety in honor of Carlie Brucia, who's body was found on the church's property

Carlie Jane Brucia -- Found Deceased 2/1/04 Carlie14

Jaydin McConaughey checks out an American alligator with her son Dana during the seventh annual Kid Safety Rally held at the Central Church of Christ in Sarasota that promoted child safety in honor of Carlie Brucia, who"s body was found on the church"s property in 2004 after she was abducted and murdered. (Herald-Tribune Staff Photo by Thomas Bender)

Carlie Jane Brucia -- Found Deceased 2/1/04 Carlie15

More photos here:

http://galleries.heraldtribune.com/?id=332873#http://spotted.heraldtribune.com/images/100047/photos/2011/02/05/zoom/2218803.jpg

Last edited by Piper on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:55 pm

I agree with you both, TigerMom and J4A - teaching children safety and you just cannot let them walk anywhere alone. The shortcut Carlie took was common for students to travel, Bee Ridge Rd is always full of heavy traffic. But on that tragic Sunday, the road was eerily empty because of the Super Bowl. She also didn't meet the Amber Alert requirements, hence.........she could have run away and the stepfather was under heavy scrutiny until the video surfaced.

It just goes to show no matter what you do, these predators are just that, always on the prowl and then act in a split second. As in little Sandra and Victoria's case it was a female, no one can be trusted. The videos of these little girls haunt me as well. Sad
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down