Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09

+16
Julie
sitemama
TigerMom
pi-girl
Dis
Carly
Estee
JAG
Piper
Snaz
babbette
khintx
Booklover
FystyAngel
Justice4all
Tracey6434
20 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09 - Page 2 Empty Re: Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09

Post by Piper Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:29 pm

Investigators returned Friday to a property at 1080 Gano Ave., in the block where Somer was last seen by her brother, sister and moments later, a friend. Evidence taken from the vacant house, large trash bin and the grounds is being given top priority at the Florida Department of Law Enforcement laboratory in Jacksonville, Justino said.

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2009-10-24/story/police_progress_being_made_toward_tracking_somers_path
Piper
Piper

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09 - Page 2 Empty Re: Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09

Post by Piper Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:01 pm

Interesting twist on Somer's case:

Was Somer Thompson's home robbed by gunmen the morning she was recovered? It is not known at this time what relation this incident or these individuals have if any, to Somer Thompson’s abduction and murder.
On October 21st, all four were arrested for armed robbery at the 1706 Horton Drive address of Somer Thompson and her family. They are all being held without bond. This was just posted at Blink's site. Interesting why this has not come out in the news. See link to Blink's post below:

http://blinkoncrime.com/2009/10/26/somer-thompson-murder-her-home-robbed-by-gunman-the-morning-she-was-recovered/

Last edited by Piper on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:51 pm

Wow, Piper, VERY interesting. I find it very odd that this is the first time we are hearing about this. Also, If there is no connection at all, these guys must REALLY REALLY be idiots! I mean, I would think that there would be LOTS or LE nearby. Things that make you go hhmmm????
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Mood : Neener

http://www.realitychatter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:06 pm

I agree, Fysty. It creates a lot of scenarios in my mind, if it's related somehow. But even if it isn't, you know there was LE all over the place, let alone the supporters there for Somer's family. It makes no sense.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:20 pm

The gunmen/robbery story is just now coming out in the news.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:50 pm

FBI releases traits of Somer Thompson's killer

Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler, with help from the FBI released new details and specific traits that they believe will lead them to 7 year-old Somer Thompson's killer.

The following are the traits they want people to look for:

-Anyone that may have left the area for a seemingly plausible reason on or around the day Somer disappeared on Oct. 19.

-The suspect may have missed work recently.

-Any unexplained injuries, such as cuts to the hands, arms or head.

-An unnatural interest in the investigation particularly to media coverage.

-Increased nervousness.

-Facial hair changes.

-Someone that may have abandoned their vehicle recently, such as selling it, giving it away, or hiding it in a garage.

-A sudden change in religious beliefs; either becoming more religious or less religious.

-An unusual change in sleep patterns.

-An increase in drug or alcohol use.

The Sheriff started his address with a message, "Yesterday was about Somer Thompson. Today is about her killer."

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content/topstories/story/FBI-releases-traits-of-Somer-Thompsons-killer/353Yuiwu9U2f67_unI4Ghg.cspx
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Mood : Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Update on the robbery: The address of arrest has been changed from 1706 Horton Dr to 2912 Vinewood Pl on the Clay County Records:

http://p2c.claysheriff.com/DailyBulletin.aspx

AR 2009036260
Robbery-armed Firearm/o... Bruner, Christopher M (B M, 19) Arrest on chrg of Robbery-armed Firearm/other Deadly Weapon (F), at 2912 Vinewood Pl, Green Cove Springs, FL, on 10/21/2009. Edmonson, M W
AR 2009036260
Robbery-armed Firearm/o... Patterson, Deanglo Monreece (B M, 19) Arrest on chrg of Robbery-armed Firearm/other Deadly Weapon (F), at 2912 Vinewood Pl, Green Cove Springs, FL, on 10/21/2009. Edmonson, M W
AR 2009036260
Robbery-armed Firearm/o... Sarver, Bryan Gregory (B M, 21) Arrest on chrg of Robbery-armed Firearm/other Deadly Weapon (F), at 2912 Vinewood Pl, Green Cove Springs, FL, on 10/21/2009. Edmonson, M W
AR 2009036260
Robbery-armed Firearm/o... Howard, Montrail Isiah (B M, 18) Arrest on chrg of Robbery-armed Firearm/other Deadly Weapon (F), at 2912 Vinewood Pl, Green Cove Springs, FL, on 10/21/2009. Edmonson, M W

Why they had Somer's address on this robbery in the first place is unknown, obviously a big clerical mistake?
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:40 pm

Piper, I'm not surprised that it was a mistake that Somer's address was listed as the location of the armed robbery. I can't picture Somer's family being robbed at gunpoint two days after her disappearance without the media finding out about it. I also don't think Somer was killed by four people, and I doubt that the killer or killers would want to bring attention to themselves by robbing their victim's house at gunpoint. I'm pretty sure that at the time of the robbery, Somer's house was probably buzzing with activity close to 24 hours a day between police, media, and neighbors.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:41 pm

Initial police report on Somer's disappearance. I have printed this out and studied. In the first part of the report, under Incident Data, there is a section that says "Weapons/Tools" it is filled in as: HANDS/FEET/TEETH

I have no idea what the hell that means because this is the initial report. Besides Somer's mother, there are 11 people listed on this initial report.
I have to assume these were the people interviewed right when Somer went missing. Some are obvious:
Sean Patton, the family friend that was waiting on the kids to get home.
Charles Currier, Diena's live in boyfriend.
Connie Strahan, mother of Somer's playmate, Caloe.
Anna Braddy, appears to be a neighbor, due to her address of 1714 Horton.
The others I am still trying to get information on. Were they just in the area when the police responded, and they were questioned?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21469864/Somer-Thompson-Police-Report
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:45 pm

Justice4all wrote:Piper, I'm not surprised that it was a mistake that Somer's address was listed as the location of the armed robbery. I can't picture Somer's family being robbed at gunpoint two days after her disappearance without the media finding out about it. I also don't think Somer was killed by four people, and I doubt that the killer or killers would want to bring attention to themselves by robbing their victim's house at gunpoint. I'm pretty sure that at the time of the robbery, Somer's house was probably buzzing with activity close to 24 hours a day between police, media, and neighbors.

Oh, I agree, J4A! That's why I thought it was so odd. As to why it wasn't reported, and even if they were trying to keep it under wraps for whatever reason, it would have leaked due to the activity at the house. But, the original arrest reports did have Somer's address listed as the place of arrest.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:58 pm

Piper, it is odd that HANDS/FEET/TEETH were listed under Weapons/Tools. This report was filed before they knew Somer had been murdered, so maybe HANDS/FEET/TEETH is the default for Weapons/Tools in a kidnapping case.

Here is a copy of the police report.

Somer Thompson Police Report
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:02 pm

On the original incident report, number 11 is Clayton William Graham.

I know that George Vinson was the sex offender on the construction site at the house, I believe they have ruled him out. But, Clayton William Graham is also a registered sex offender, and he's the last name on the incident report. There is no mention of him being questioned by LE in the report, although I'm sure he's been investigated.
Here's his file:
http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/offenderSearchNav.do
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:06 pm

There was an offender alert issued from the sheriff's office on 10/21. Clayton William Graham is on this alert:

36 year old Clayton William Graham is wanted for not registering his whereabouts with authorities. He's a sex offender from Texas who moved here to Florida. Graham has been known to live in both Clay and Duval County. Dominick Pape says now, they don't know where he's hiding, "did he run from that state, is he trying to conseal his location in this state, all those things give us concern."

Here is the link:

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content/actionlocal/story/Offender-Alert-October-21-2009/W0nLgboHake_aekvaIaZkA.cspx
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:35 pm

There are two other men, along with Graham, on the offender alert release from 10/21.
Richard Meeks and Homer Spires, but their names are not listed on the original incident report. Same report as posted above:
http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content/actionlocal/story/Offender-Alert-October-21-2009/W0nLgboHake_aekvaIaZkA.cspx
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:24 pm

Somer's mother talks to America's Most Wanted

ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- It's quiet outside Somer Thompson's home. There are no longer cars filling her yard or police standing guard, just the sound of the wind blowing purple ribbons all around. Now, a mother is forced to face reality.

"I knew she was gone. I had a feeling something bad had happened to her," Diena Thompson told America's Most Wanted. She was calm and collected. "I can't sleep or eat. I begged someone to please give her back."

Read more: http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content/topstories/story/Somers-mother-talks-to-Americas-Most-Wanted/Be6pn4F3ukWYfdxfAobS6Q.cspx

Somer's case will be featured on this coming Saturday's episode of America's Most Wanted.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:51 am

Sketches Of Somer's Items Released

Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09 - Page 2 21554210

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Artist sketches of two items that belonged to Somer Thompson have been released.

Witnesses said Somer had the tote bag and a round lunch box with her when she was last seen walking on Gano Avenue on Oct. 19.

Officials hope that if they can find one or both of the items they can find the killer.

The items were featured on a segment Saturday on the TV show "America's Most Wanted."

The pink tote bag was used by Somer to carry books. It is pink with black straps and had a white skull and cross bones design. The round lunch box with zipper was also pink with a pig design.

Read more: http://www.news4jax.com/news/21554288/detail.html

WTH? Is the sicko who murdered her collecting souvenirs from his victims?
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:10 am

Wow, and you know they didn't find them in the landfill so the perp would still have them.......that is sick.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:36 pm

Somer’s mother pained, angry three weeks after killing

ORANGE PARK — Diena Thompson woke Monday morning with no one to turn to for the first time since her daughter, Somer, vanished three weeks ago.

No family. No friends. No strangers.

There was just an eerie silence and the bitter memories of a nightmare that continues to consume a once-cheerful mother with grief and anger.

“It’s hard being alone with your thoughts,” Thompson, 35, cried during a mid-morning interview.

There are still no answers in the slaying of Somer, 7, who was abducted walking home from school on Oct. 19. Her mother has come up with several names for the killer: It. Thing. Monster.

Thompson said her anger burns bright.

“I’m mad that he, it, has three weeks more of life than what my 7-year-old got,” she said.
Thompson said she talks to Somer daily, sometimes out loud and sometimes silently.

“I wish I could just smell her, see her or touch her,” she said. “I tell her every day that I love her, how much I miss her and how sorry I am that somebody did this.”

Thompson said she has been worn down by the daily grind of giving local and national media interviews, though she knows it’s necessary to help generate leads and bring attention to the plight of abused and slain children.

“You’re going to hear me,” she said, “and you’re going to hear me loud.”

She also said she greatly appreciates the outpouring of community support, though at times she has grown weary from the attention.

“I don’t like to go outside because people just stare at me,” she said. “I feel like I’m a circus act.”

Thompson has retraced the route on Gano Avenue where Somer vanished just once, while being driven to Grove Park Elementary last week to pick up Somer’s twin brother and older sister. The agony of imagining what her daughter went through caused her to vomit when she got home.

“It’s heart-wrenching,” Thompson said.

Somer’s siblings have returned to school and are undergoing counseling. They have spent time living with her and their grandparents. Thompson said the twin, Sam, cries himself to sleep at night.

“I don’t even think he comprehends [that] she’s not going to come back,” Thompson said. “He starts saying, 'I just wish that man would let her go.’ ”

She said investigators have told her little about the slaying and their pursuit of suspects. While she understands they have to limit their information, she is frustrated that she doesn’t know more.

“Our hearts are ripped open,” Thompson said, “and the stitches we need are the answers that they have.”

Thompson said she dies inside a little more each day the case remains unsolved. But if she ever gets to confront the Thing, the Monster, It, she said she has an idea of what she’d do:

“You couldn’t print that.”

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/crime/2009-11-09/story/somer%E2%80%99s_mother_pained_angry_three_weeks_after_killing

I can't imagine the pain that Diena and Somer's siblings are going through. It makes me sick that the monster who did this is still out there.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Booklover Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:48 pm

So, what happened to all the family & friends? Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09 - Page 2 5368 How can they so quickly disappear after such a heartbreaking tragedy? Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09 - Page 2 858297 Shocked affraid Sad Crying or Very sad Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09 - Page 2 5368 Don't these people realize that Diena Thompson still needs support & comfort? Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09 - Page 2 5368 She is NOT going to get over it. It just does not happen that way, & how can people so quickly forget? awe Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09 - Page 2 5368 I just do not understand it. Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09 - Page 2 5368 No Most of all, I just do not understand how her friends could do this to her! not fair Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09 - Page 2 996823
Booklover
Booklover

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:12 pm

First Coast News Interview with Diena Thompson.

Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:12 am

Watching Somer's mother, Diena, speak of this makes me cry. She says people tell her they wish they could take away the pain for her, she cries and says "I would never give this pain away to anyone, I would not wish this on anyone." She feels she failed her daughter, she's in agony. I hope they find her killer soon so her mother can get the answers she needs. She doesn't even know yet what caused Somer's death. She hasn't received her lock of hair yet, either. Sad
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Booklover Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:00 pm

I heard on Jane Velez Mitchell the other night that Diena is receiving death threats. Shocked affraid She said that these people are blaming her for what happened to Somer. Shocked affraid It's shocking how cruel & heartless some people can be, and frightening too! Shocked affraid awe This poor woman is suffering beyond what most of us can possibly understand. Sad Crying or Very sad not fair Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09 - Page 2 927100 I wish all these nuts would leave her alone. Mad Evil or Very Mad
Booklover
Booklover

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:24 pm

Somer Thompson's mom receiving hate mail

ORANGE CITY, Fla. (WAWS FOX 30) - Diena Thompson's lawyer said the family does not think Somer knew the person who kidnapped and killed her. Investigators said the 7-year-old Somer disappeared on her way home from school in Orange Park, Fla. The search came to a tearful conclusion when her body was discovered in a Georgia landfill days later.

Diena's been doing a lot of interviews on national morning shows, including Dr. Phil and America's Most Wanted . Now she's getting criticized by some people for it.

"Now I have other people opening my mail for me because I didn't do this and I didn't have any idea that something like this could happen to me," said Diena.

She's getting hate mail and calls. It's all tough for Diena Thompson to take. They started after her daughter's story hit the national spotlight. She just wants to find her daughter's killer.

Read more: http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/state_news/111209-Somer-Thompsons-mom-receiving-hate-mail
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:33 pm

I agree Book. I wish these nuts would crawl back into the hole they came from. It is disgusting that people are threatening Diena and sending her hate mail. There's no way she could have known that Somer would run ahead of her siblings, and then get snatched and murdered by some pervert. Since we follow a lot of these cases and have seen the tragic results of letting children walk by themselves, I agree that it's a bad idea to let your children walk to and from school, but I don't think it warrants being charged with abuse and neglect.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracey6434 Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:35 pm

I saw her on Dr. Phil saying she was receiving this hate mail. I can't even imagine what kind of scumbag does that. I hope she can ignore it and will not let it get to her. I am in awe of her strength and courage. I just don't believe I would ever be able to be that brave.

I pray they will find Somer's killer very soon. I can't imagine not even knowing how my baby died. THAT I don't understand AT ALL!

God Bless their family. She said the siblings are having a hard time too. Unimaginable pain.
Tracey6434
Tracey6434

Back to top Go down

Post by Carly Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:44 pm

I hope they find the killer soon. Screw those people who are sending her hate mail. They can go to hell.
Carly
Carly

Back to top Go down

Post by babbette Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:58 pm

Oh yeah, Carly. I think she feels guilty enough, even though she couldn't have known what would happen and it is in no way her fault, in my opinion. Forward the hate mail to the Orange County Jail House, attention Ms. Killer Anthony.
babbette
babbette

Back to top Go down

Post by Booklover Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:48 am

Justice4all wrote:I agree Book. I wish these nuts would crawl back into the hole they came from. It is disgusting that people are threatening Diena and sending her hate mail. There's no way she could have known that Somer would run ahead of her siblings, and then get snatched and murdered by some pervert. Since we follow a lot of these cases and have seen the tragic results of letting children walk by themselves, I agree that it's a bad idea to let your children walk to and from school, but I don't think it warrants being charged with abuse and neglect.
Hi, J4A! hug I would imagine that these high profile cases attract a lot of nuts, as well as good people. It takes all kinds, I guess. Rolling Eyes Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09 - Page 2 5368
Booklover
Booklover

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:34 pm

What a freaky kind of hell to have to deal with in the midst of her daughter's murder. This is so very, very cruel.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Booklover Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:00 pm

Our world is forever changing. It seems like there's a new breed of maniacs that are ever increasing. Shocked affraid Sadly, I don't think there's any limit to their evil. Sad Rolling Eyes Shocked
Booklover
Booklover

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:23 pm

babbette wrote:Oh yeah, Carly. I think she feels guilty enough, even though she couldn't have known what would happen and it is in no way her fault, in my opinion. Forward the hate mail to the Orange County Jail House, attention Ms. Killer Anthony.

Yeah, you got that right, Babbette..... send the hate mail to someone who really deserves it.
Snaz
Snaz

Mood : Whistling

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:05 pm

Somer Thompson Case Update

http://www.thesky973.com/pages/5706428.php

TJ Hart

The investigation into the abduction and murder of Somer Thompson is ongoing and remains a large scale, multi-agency effort, according to Mary Justino with the Clay County Sheriff's Office Wedesday. Agents from the FBI, FDLE, U.S. Marshal Service, and NCIS remain assigned to their team locally and continue to reinforce our investigative efforts with their expertise and manpower.

Justino said, "Investigators have now received 4,200 leads and detective teams continue working to follow up on all remaining workable tips. We remain hopeful that evidence being processed now at the lab will provide more streamlined direction for our investigators and will help us focus more accurately on a suspect." She added, "The processing of such evidence is time-consuming, but is very important to the long-term success of this investigation and cannot be rushed."

"Waiting on lab results is part of this process," said Sheriff Rick Beseler. "The results can take weeks to return and cannot be rushed or hurried because this is information that will point us in the right direction and tell us where to go."

Sheriff Beseler commented that, with a case like this, information is unfolding slowly. He describes the case as being far from "cold". "This case is not a cold case...not by far," Beseler said. "This case remains hot with emerging leads and many pieces of evidence. Our team is very active and will remain so for weeks to come", said Beseler.
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:16 pm

I'm glad to hear they are not calling this a cold case, there is still hope and many pieces of evidence. I know the lab tests are extensive and they have to be precise....but it seems to take forever in these cases.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:12 am

Car show today benefits Somer Thompson family

A car show to benefit the family of slain Orange Park 7-year-old Somer Thompson will be held from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. today at Hurricane Grill and Wings, 5907 Roosevelt Blvd.

There is a $30 show car entry fee, with plaques and trophies as well as raffles. Spectators get in free. All proceeds will benefit the Thompson family.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-12-19/story/car_show_today_benefits_family_of_somer_thompson
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:18 am

It's been two months since Somer disappeared.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla -- Saturday marks two months since Somer Thompson's disappearance but police still have no suspects.

The second grader disappeared from Clay County October 19th. Her body was later found in a Georgia landfill. Since then investigators have received more than 4,000 tips and have continued to call the case "hot."

Community donations have come in to raise money for a reward fund to find Somer's Killer. That fund is up to more than $64,000.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content/topstories/story/Two-months-since-Somer-disappeared/2S2chD1NfE2xWscaL63c9Q.cspx?rss=1
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:48 pm

It is heartbreaking that they haven't found Somer's killer yet. I hope they find her killer soon. Unfortunately, it takes way too long in some of these cases.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:57 pm

First Christmas without Somer Thompson

ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- Somer Thompson's family is celebrating their first Christmas without their little girl.

Somer Thompson was murdered in October as she was walking home from school. Her killer hasn't been found. This is the first Christmas her family is celebrating without her. But strangers are leaving messages of hope for the family. They're on the website rememberingsomer.com.

Diena Thompson kept hoping her daughter would come home safe. But she got the news no mother wanted. Somer's body was found in a Georgia landfill days after she went missing. Diena attended dozens of memorials, clinging to friends and family for support.

In an interview with Action News in November she said, "I'm a single mother and made $14 an hour. I did what I had to do and now I have to live the rest of my life feeling like I played a role in this."

On the website people from around the world are sending their prayers to Diena Thompson. Christmas Eve someone wrote, "I wanted to let you know that my family and friends are thinking of you and your family during this holiday season. I know it will be difficult for you all as you miss Somer so much. All I can say is she is having the best christmas of all as she celebrates with the one who is the reason of the season after all!"

Lisa in Australia says "Our purple decorations on our tree remind me of Somer. Don't forget to give your other children lots of hugs and kisses, they don't want to lose their mum and sister."

Diena wears purple all the time. It was Somer's favorite color. She still has a hole in her heart that only Somer can fill.

Police aren't giving us many details about how the investigation is going. They only say progress is being made and they are still working this case, even over the holidays. If you have any information that could lead the arrest of Somer's killer, you can call the tip line at 1-877- 227- 6911 or email your tips to cart@claysheriff.com.

http://www.fox30jax.com/content/actionlocal/story/First-Christmas-without-Somer-Thompson/IH9yfH_kdEStdZJ9M-udPw.cspx
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09 - Page 2 Empty Somer Thompson: Update from the Sheriff's Office

Post by Justice4all Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:53 pm

http://jacksonville.com/community/my_clay_sun/2010-01-04/story/somer_thompson_update_from_the_sheriffs_office

The Clay County Sheriff's Office made the following statement in reply to numerous media requests for a 2010 update on the Somer Thompson case. The 7-year-old Orange Park first grader went missing on the way home from school Oct. 19; her body was found in a Georgia landfill, but there have been no arrests. Here is the Sheriff's Office statement, issued by spokeswoman Mary Justino:

"The latest leads/tips total is 4,474. A small portion of these remain open/active and are still being worked aggressively by the investigative team, or as we call it "Team Somer." There is a large quantity of evidence that remains at the lab and we are still waiting on test results to come back from these scientists.

"In regards to this evidence, we remain hopeful that results will point us in the right direction in regards to Somer's killer. A wait of this length is not completely uncommon due to the amount of evidence submitted to the lab and the type of testing being conducted.

"This investigation may now be described as focused and streamlined. Even with the paring down of calls/emails to our team regarding the case, there is still plenty for the detectives to work on while we wait for the lab to do its painstaking work.

"The supervisors on this case are also staying in communication with Diena Thompson and her family, keeping her up to date on the work being done.

"As with any case, we remain committed to not releasing any details about the case that would hamper our efforts to arrest the person responsible. We appreciate everyone's understanding and patience."

Anyone with information can call the Sheriff's Office at (877) 227-6911, Crime Stoppers at (866) 845-8477 (845-TIPS) or e-mail CART@claysheriff.com.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dis Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:12 am

What is really scary is that there is still a murderer out there, possibly a child predator scoping out another kid. I hope everyone in the area are on high alert and that the kids look out for each other.
Dis
Dis

Location : Somewhere in fantasy land havin a blast with Jules and eva :)
Mood : Sick 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:33 am

I hope they really are closer to finding him and that it doesn't end up like Nevaeh Buchanan's case. She was killed in May and they still haven't made an arrest. It is very scary that these child killers are still out there.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Somer Thompson -- Found Deceased 10/21/09 - Page 2 Empty Fears for Somer Thompson’s safety expressed a year before her slaying

Post by Justice4all Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:57 pm

http://jacksonville.com/community/my_clay_sun/2010-01-13/story/fears_for_somer_thompson%E2%80%99s_safety_expressed_a_year_before_her

ORANGE PARK — A social worker at Somer Thompson’s school warned about the danger of the 7-year-old girl’s walks from school a year before a killer snatched her on her way home, state records show.

The unidentified worker told the Department of Children and Families that Somer and her three siblings got lost at least once walking from Grove Park Elementary School and were found in woods with a stranger. The worker indicated that Somer’s mother needed to pay more attention to the children’s safety and get them into day care at the school.

But a two-week probe by Children and Families concluded the allegation about the children getting lost and being found with a stranger had no basis. It also found Diena Thompson properly arranged for her children to be taken to and from school, about a mile away, and that it was acceptable for them to walk home when necessary. Day care was suggested to her as an option, but not a requirement.

The case was closed without any findings of wrongdoing, according to the records provided to the Times-Union last week.

Thompson continues to grieve over Somer’s Oct. 19 disappearance and slaying, which remains unsolved. She said that she has always cared for her children’s well-being and allowed them to walk home on rare occasions when she worked and couldn’t get them a ride. Somer disappeared on one of those days. Her siblings have received rides every day since, Thompson told the Times-Union Wednesday.

“I’m always second-guessing myself as far as them walking home, but I did what I could as a single mother with absolutely no help from anyone else,” said Thompson, 35. “Children should be able to walk home without being afraid of being attacked by a monster.”

Children and Families spokesman John Harrell said he couldn’t disclose by law who made the report and whether the agency had fielded other reports from Somer’s school. The school’s principal, Lynda Braxton, declined to comment.

Harrell said the case was handled properly.

“Our investigator did the right thing and went above and beyond ... by checking to make sure if these services were being followed up on,” Harrell said.

The social worker called the agency’s abuse hot line on Oct. 9, 2008.

“There is overall concern for the safety and well-being of the children,” the investigator wrote, based on the social worker’s statement.

Thompson told the investigator she was unaware of her children ever getting lost in the woods or being found by a stranger. Somer and her older brother told the investigator they never got lost. Somer’s twin, Samuel, said he got lost once, but gave no details. Somer’s sister was never asked. Thompson said a family friend had been transporting the children and that would continue.

Thompson also told the investigator the school suggested the children attend an off-campus YWCA day-care program. But she said it ended before she could pick them up from work and she couldn’t afford the cost of picking them up late.

Thompson was later told the day-care program was at the school and that school officials were trying to arrange for Somer to attend for free or at a reduced rate. She said she would consider the option, though the children weren’t sent.

A Children and Families supervisory review of the case on Oct. 12 states that the “risk is low” and that “the children are old enough to walk to school.” It also states that if Thompson can’t afford day care, she shouldn’t be placed in a “financial bind.”

Two weeks into the case, Thompson reiterated to the investigator that her friend was helping with transportation, “but on occasion the children still do walk,” the records show. The family friend told the investigators she had been transporting the children.

The investigator concludes that the “risk remains low” and that Thompson had been very cooperative.

“No services necessary at this time,” the report said.

Thompson said she is hopeful the public will not to use the report to criticize her parenting ability, a problem she had to endure from some people after Somer’s death.

“Walk a day in my shoes,” she said.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:05 pm

Children should be able to walk home without being afraid of being attacked by a monster.
I don't blame Diena for Somer's death and I agree that children should be able to walk home without being afraid of being attacked by a monster. It is a sad commentary about the world today that children can't walk home without being afraid of being attacked by a monster.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:31 pm

I dont blame Diena one bit.

No one cud come forward and show that she didnt love her kids and do the absolute best that she cud.

This is a good example of how our society works...She clearly cudnt afford to do anything else, and chose to work to support her family. Why doesnt the government do more?

Why isnt some of this their fault? Why not the school"s ?

A big part of her life died and will never come bak. Isnt that enough for them?

I feel like she has been under a microscope from the beginning, and I have read ppl, tear into her... What is wrong with some ppl? That was really heart breaking...

Im glad their file is now closed and she can move on...

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:19 pm

I feel really bad for Diena and don't see any reason to criticize her. She couldn't have known that Somer was going to get into an argument with her siblings and run ahead of them and fall prey to a sick, twisted pedophile. Unfortunately it only takes a few seconds of being separated from a group to disappear without anybody seeing a thing.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dis Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:04 am

There is a season for everything....I hope Diena finds her season of healing. It's so sad that people take a tragedy like this and use it as an excuse to wag their fingers and say I told you so. I don't know why this garbage is even being published. How sad that we live in a society that uses people like this poor woman for gain. What other purpose is there to put this "news" in print? She didn't kill her daughter. My heart aches for her. I am so thankful I have never had to lose a child. I don't know if I could weather that storm without losing my mind.
Dis
Dis

Location : Somewhere in fantasy land havin a blast with Jules and eva :)
Mood : Sick 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:53 am

Ditto Dis!! and well said!

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:55 pm

Girl found in landfill

ORANGE PARK, Fla. (AP) — A school social worker reportedly warned a northeast Florida girl's mother about the danger of the child walking home from school a year before she was abducted and killed.

The unidentified worker told the Department of Children and Families that 7-year-old Somer Thompson and her three siblings got lost at least once walking from Grove Park Elementary School and were found in woods with a stranger. But a DCF probe concluded the allegation had no basis. It also found the girl's mother, Diena Thompson, properly arranged for her children to be taken to and from school.

The 7-year-old girl vanished in late October as she was walking home from school. Her body was found in a Georgia landfill about 50 miles away.

No one has been charged in her death.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100114/ARTICLES/100119658/1105/NEWS?Title=Girl-found-in-landfill

I can see that I am going out on a limb here with what I am about to say BUT...I think Somers mother was COMPLETELY wrong in allowing a child that age, to walk home from school! I'm actually enraged about it. Tasha is 11 yrs old and begs all the time to be allowed. My town is ONE SQUARE MILE, that's it. I mean, seriously, I would never allow her to walk home, even at this age. There are children, younger & older than her, right here on our street. They walk, to & from, every day. There are freaks here, just like everywhere. I'm sorry, but I am very passionate about children being left alone to fend for themselves. IMO, THAT is exactly what Somers mother let happen.
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:05 am

You are definitely entitled to your opinion Fysty. It can get pretty boring when everybody has the same opinion. In defense of Somer's mother, she might not follow these cases like we do, and Somer was supposed to be walking in a group with her siblings. I'm sure if she did follow these cases and see how easily children come up missing, Somer and her siblings wouldn't have been allowed to walk home by themselves.

Most of us weren't raised to believe it was dangerous to allow children to walk to and from school. As a first grader, I was allowed to walk two blocks to and from school, and as a second grader, I was allowed to walk a mile to and from school. I was also allowed to ride my bike around the neighborhood even as young as second grade.

That being said, I probably wouldn't have allowed my children to walk home by themselves even before I started following these cases. I watched the Adam movie when I was a kid and I think that made me paranoid about letting my children out of my site.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:16 am

I fear that both Somer Thompson's and Nevaeh Buchanan's cases have gone cold. I don't think LE in either case has said whether they have DNA or not. It's pretty obvious that if they do, they haven't found a match in their databases. The cases might not be solved until years later when one of the perps slip up and get arrested for another crime. The if there is DNA from either one of these cases, I'm not sure how often it is rechecked against the databases once the case has gone cold. We can only pray that someday there is justice for Somer and Nevaeh.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:49 am

I sadly agree, and I believe the same for Haleigh as well. We can only keep up hope that Haleigh will be found. Somer and Nevaeh's killer could strike again, at anytime. They've gotten away with these abductions and murders, what would keep them from repeating this horrific crime again? We all know these bastards don't stop at just one.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next