Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wayne Treacy Charged with Attempted Murder in 'Text Rage' Beating that Left Josie Ratley in a Coma

+16
Bmore
CA Lady
tesstruhart
Ann - Tx
Freckles
snowbird
Snaz
pi-girl
sitemama
randilynn
Hoss
Piper
Julie
Cali
Justice4all
FystyAngel
20 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wayne Treacy Charged with Attempted Murder in 'Text Rage' Beating that Left Josie Ratley in a Coma - Page 3 Empty Re: Wayne Treacy Charged with Attempted Murder in 'Text Rage' Beating that Left Josie Ratley in a Coma

Post by snowbird Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks didn't know if I missed article about her involvement. It will be interesting what she knew about him planning to beat this young girl.
snowbird
snowbird

Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Wayne Treacy Charged with Attempted Murder in 'Text Rage' Beating that Left Josie Ratley in a Coma - Page 3 Empty Re: Wayne Treacy Charged with Attempted Murder in 'Text Rage' Beating that Left Josie Ratley in a Coma

Post by Freckles Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:18 am

Justice4all wrote:Wayne definitely overreacted to Josie's texts. It sounds like the psychologist is saying that Wayne subconciously wanted somebody to stop him, but couldn't manage to stop himself. I don't think it's anybody's fault but Wayne's, but it wouldn't have happened if they weren't allowed to play around on their cell phones in school.

I hope Josie fully recovers and I hope Wayne serves plenty of time and/or gets plenty of professional help before being let loose in society again.
From what I am reading, Wayne has several issues going. First, he was probably trying to cope with the suicide/death of his brother. I imagine he had a lot of unresolved feelings bottled up. Second, he appears to have placed value on the Mason girl. From what others have said, Wayne was a loner. Even loners need friends and he had a friend in this Mason girl. His ego as frail and immature--- he banters and threatens almost like a snake rattling a warning. But it was missed and treated as harmless banter by Josie when in fact it WAS a valid statement of intent.

Many kids today DO threaten and push others to the very edge. Seems to be some sort of daring, bully someone into submission and then proclaim you are the winner.
Josie did her share of handing it back not knowing her words WOULD hurt him--- even though that WAS her intent!

It does not matter who is doing the bullying. Parents NEED to teach their children how to NOT hand it back! If you beat up a bully, what recourse does he have? Don't challenge a bully or even dare him.

It is a bad situation. I feel for both Wayne --- a lonely person whose brother had just died--- and Josie who did not deserve the hell her mouth got her into. Both were taunting. Both were caught up. Now one is looking for a long prison stretch and the other is trying to find where she left her life. Families destroyed.
Freckles
Freckles

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Wayne Treacy Charged with Attempted Murder in 'Text Rage' Beating that Left Josie Ratley in a Coma - Page 3 Empty Wayne Treacy trial begins today with Opening Statements

Post by Ann - Tx Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:24 am

Insanity defense as teen attack trial opens
Wayne Treacy faces 50 years in prison

Published On: Jul 09 2012 05:56:04 AM EDT

WPLG - Miami, FL

Wayne Treacy Charged with Attempted Murder in 'Text Rage' Beating that Left Josie Ratley in a Coma - Page 3 Wayne-Treacy

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -
The insanity defense takes center stage as trial begins for a Florida teenager accused in the brutal 2010 attack on a girl outside a middle school

Snipped:

The trial begins Monday with opening statements.

Read more:

http://www.local10.com/news/Insanity-defense-as-teen-attack-trial-opens/-/1717324/15445392/-/y0annoz/-/index.html

Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:54 am

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/Opening-Statements-Expected-in-Wayne-Treacy-Trial-161772535.html
NBC6 - Miami, FL 7/9/12

Opening Statements Expected in Wayne Treacy Trial
Teen accused of beating Josie Ratley to use insanity defense

View more videos at: http://nbcmiami.com.

Click to play

If convicted at a trial that begins Monday, Treacy could get 50 years in prison. If not, he likely would still spend years in a state mental institution, possibly even as long as he would spend in prison, attorneys and legal experts say.
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:20 am

Opening Statements Monday In Josie Ratley Attack Trial

July 9, 2012 8:50 AM

CBS4 - Miami, FL

Wayne Treacy Charged with Attempted Murder in 'Text Rage' Beating that Left Josie Ratley in a Coma - Page 3 Waynetreacy
Wayne Treacy in court for the first day
of jury selection on June 26, 2012. (CBS4)

POMPANO BEACH (CBSMiami) – Opening statements get underway Monday in the trial of a Pompano Beach teen accused of nearly killing a 15-year-old Josie Lou Ratley when he stomped on her head with steel-toe boots two years ago.

Wayne Treacy, 17, has pleaded not guilty to the attack and his attorney, Russell Williams, has said he plans to use insanity as a defense.

Snipped:

Treacy reportedly told psychologist Michael Brannon when he received the text message, “an explosion went off inside” and he put on his brother’s clothes and steel-toe boots, which he used to kick Ratley in the head. Ratley suffered irreversible brain damage from the attack and has no memory of the incident or the text message exchange that instigated it

Read more and view video:

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/07/09/opening-state-monday-in-josie-ratley-attack-trial/
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:34 pm

I am not sure, but I thought when this happened there was confusion as to whether Josie actually sent the texts. The other young lady involved was suspected (at least at one point of being the texter). I could have this wrong, but does anyone else remember this.
tesstruhart
tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:42 pm

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Troubled-Teen-Made-Will-Before-Attacking-Josie-Lou-Report-91939834.html

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2010/03/wayne_treacy15_brutally_beats.php

Ok so I didn't have it exactly right. In the very beginning there was a question, but it was staightened out. these are a little background on the story.
tesstruhart
tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Tess-

In this link:
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Troubled-Teen-Made-Will-Before-Attacking-Josie-Lou-Report-91939834.html

Wayne appears to be pulled away, miserable, low income, and depressed. IMO, there was probably a lot of elements in his life screaming for help inside Wayne. He lost his brother and now is being threatened with the loss of probably his only "true" friend. He may have placed a lot of value upon the 13 yr old because she DID accept him and DID call him her bf and maybe that was the only positive he felt he had in his life.

Wayne Treacy,15, Brutally Beats Girl at Middle School Bus Stop

3/26/2010
Clipped--
" Treacy's father is a douchebag. Since 1981, he's racked up 43 arrests in Florida, leaving him in and out of prison. So his older brother, Michael Bell, became his surrogate father.

yne Treacy kicked the girl in the head at least seven times with his steel-toed boots
​But in October, depressed over divorce and losing his job, Bell committed suicide by hanging himself in a church parking lot in Pompano Beach. The loss no doubt left Treacy adrift. And it was that open sore that apparently set him off last week.

His former girlfriend, 13-year-old Kayla Manson, claims to be Josie's best friend. In the past, she'd borrowed Josie's phone to get in touch with Treacy. So when Treacy tried to reach her last week, she got Josie instead. "

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2010/03/wayne_treacy15_brutally_beats.php
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Tried to clean up the above post but my computer is having a mind of its own today. Won't let me fix that one line up there without trying to delete the whole thing! Sorry about that.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by CA Lady Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm

First day in court. Includes video.

Jurors hear of texts and rage at center of Wayne Treacy's attempted murder trial

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-wayne-treacy-trial-opening-20120709,0,6106109.story

9:29 p.m. EDT, July 9, 2012
FORT LAUDERDALE—
Tears fell on opposite sides of a Broward courtroom Monday as prosecutor Maria Schneider described the brutal, nearly fatal beating of Deerfield Beach teenager Josie Lou Ratley.

Seated in the audience, Ratley's mother, Hilda Gotay, wept as she heard how her daughter went from laughing and smiling with her friends to fighting for her life with irreversible brain damage in the course of a single March afternoon two years ago.

On the other side of the room, defendant Wayne Treacy, 17, also cried as Schneider described how he became enraged by a dismissive text message, put on a pair of steel-toe boots and tracked Ratley down at Deerfield Beach Middle School, throwing her to the ground, banging her head against the concrete and stomping on her until a teacher tackled him to end the horror.

CA Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:40 pm

Josie Lou Ratley's Recovery From Middle School Beating A Miracle, Doctor Testifies (VIDEO)

By CURT ANDERSON
07/10/12 12:11 PM ET AP

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — A 15-year-old girl's survival from an attack in which her head was repeatedly kicked and stomped by another teenager was nothing short of a "miracle" but she likely will face a lifetime of psychological problems, a neurosurgeon testified Tuesday in the trial of her attacker.

Dr. Randell Powell said it took intense round-the-clock care and three brain operations to save the life of Josie Lou Ratley following the assault on her at a middle school bus stop in March 2010. Her brain was bleeding from at least five heavy blows and was swelling so quickly, Powell said, that he was surprised she was still alive the next morning.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/10/josie-lou-ratley-wayne-treacy-beating-trial_n_1662011.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Mood : Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:10 pm

http://www.local10.com/news/Witnesses-describe-teen-s-beating/-/1717324/15463262/-/13wmols/-/index.html

Description of the beating by other kids who witnessed the attack.
tesstruhart
tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:16 pm

Even if this teen was troubled, the sheer viciousness of the attack and planning, merits a guilty verdict. I realize he had a problematic childhood, but many do and do not attempt to kill others as a result. I would not want him out in the general population. There are many facts that will come out, but I cannot find any coverage that is live or streaming. Too bad. It was, if I can recall, the texts that set him off. However, the offending text about his brother was at least 1/2 hour into the text war. He was building it up and then the explosion. Also, when he went home to change into the steel toe boots, he left a suicide note. He planned the whole thing.....JMO I think he also needs mental health counseling, but I don't know how much of that will get done in prison. He just needs to stay locked up. This poor girl, who was an artist, will not be able to be a functional independent person for the rest of her life.
tesstruhart
tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by snowbird Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Boy, I am torn by this case. I think he should be punished but in this case I do believe there was a mental issue. I am sad for both the victim and the boy who did this to her. I feel so sorry for both mothers.
snowbird
snowbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmore Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:56 pm

I'm with you snowbird... I've read up on the case but by no means do I know everything or even close... I thought prior to his brother's suicide he was an above average student in a special program or maybe I read it wrong. It seems his brother was the only thing in his life that gave him stability and then to find him hanging from a tree kind of did him in. I have teenagers and I read their facebook and kids these days have no filter, they all run off at the mouth "i'm going to kick your ass" or kill you, you better hide, etc.. I mean completely out of line but they're venting to their peers, trying to look like badasses and end up just looking like an ass... I have no doubt that he was pissed and wanted to intimidate her but i'm not sure about actually wanted to kill her. I think it was the police video when he didn't know he was being recorded and I think his Mom was with him and they told him that Josie might die... He was crying and calling himself a monster and stupid, wondering what he had done and it wasn't suppose to be that way... I need more to go on before making a decision... But he definetly needs help...
Bmore
Bmore

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:31 pm

He was vulnerable and lacked coping skills.
What she said hurt him at a time he was feeling most vulnerable,

I hope he can get counseling and begin to heal.
Then he may be able to address the inappropriateness of his actions. She may never have that ability to understand her actions hurt someone who lashed out at her.

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:41 am

Will Josie Lou Ratley testify in Wayne Treacy case?

Victim has no memory of Deerfield Beach beating

By Rafael A. Olmeda, Sun Sentinel
9:38 a.m. EDT, July 11, 2012
FORT LAUDERDALE—

The prosecution is expected to wrap up its attempted murder case against Pompano Beach teenager Wayne Treacy Wednesday, and there's a chance jurors will hear from the victim.

Josie Lou Ratley, now 17, remembers nothing of March 17, 2010, the day Treacy, then 15, attacked her without warning at a Deerfield Beach Middle School bus stop in retaliation for an insensitive text message she apparently sent him earlier in the day.

Jurors heard vivid details of the attack and its aftermath on Tuesday from schoolmates who witnessed it, the teacher who put a stop to it, and one of the doctors who helped Ratley survive it.

Read more: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-wayne-treacy-prosecution-rests-20120711,0,7325847.story
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:42 am

Defense Set to Present Case at Wayne Treacy Trial

Trial of South Florida teen charged with attempted murder of girl continues

By Brian Hamacher
Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 | Updated 8:35 AM EDT

Attorneys for the South Florida teen accused of almost beating another teenager to death outside Deerfield Beach Middle School are set to present their case Wednesday.

Wayne Treacy, 17, is charged as an adult with attempted murder in the March 17, 2010 attack on Josie Ratley at a bus stop outside the school.

The defense is expected to begin presenting their insanity defense after the prosecution rests on Wednesday. They claim Treacy suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder and was not in control of what he was doing at the time of the attack.

Read more: http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Defense-Set-to-Present-Case-at-Wayne-Treacy-Trial-162048035.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wayne Treacy Charged with Attempted Murder in 'Text Rage' Beating that Left Josie Ratley in a Coma - Page 3 Empty Live Video of the Wayne Treacy Trial

Post by Justice4all Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:49 pm

Live Video of the Wayne Treacy Trial

Here is a link to the Sun Sentinel Courts Twitter account which is covering the trial.

https://twitter.com/SSCourts
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmore Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:57 pm

This kid looks live a young Quentin Tarantino to me...
Bmore
Bmore

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:20 pm

Thank you J4A. That is a very helpful link. I could never figure out how to follow this trial without any reporting...anyway thank you so much.
tesstruhart
tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:21 pm

Bmore wrote:This kid looks live a young Quentin Tarantino to me...
He kinda does Bmore.

This is such a tragic case on so many levels. I still think he deserves prison time.
tesstruhart
tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmore Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:28 pm

He's been locked up since it happened... Not knowing what is wrong with him it's hard to say... I don't think he deserves the kind of time he's looking at, I don't think it was attempted murder. I think he needs mental help. On my one daughter's facebook last night our old neighbor kid (wannabe punk thug) was threatening to kill some other kid, calling him out to meet and fight him up at the school then saying he'll kill him, etc... I know this kid and he would jump and beat the crap out of the other kid but not intentionally kill him... It's like these kids, boy and girls take bravado pills for breakfast...
Bmore
Bmore

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:54 pm

I know, its a different world than I grew up in for sure. The only thing is, he did mean to kill her. He even texted that she was going to die. I also think he has major emotional and mental issues. It will take years of counselling (if ever) to straighten him out. He should not be out on the street. He is holding a lot of anger and hate inside his body. I know that he had a rough childhood, but still, there are many who have had it just as dysfunctional or worse and do not resort to this. The young lady will never be whole again. She is a pretty young girl and just looking at her you wouldn't suspect that she is so handicapped now.
tesstruhart
tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:12 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/south/view/20120712wayne_treacys_mother_testifies_about_his_brothers_suicide/srvc=home&position=recent
Boston Herald - Boston, MA -- 7/12/12

Wayne Treacy’s mother testifies about his brother’s suicide

Wayne Treacy Charged with Attempted Murder in 'Text Rage' Beating that Left Josie Ratley in a Coma - Page 3 Ae32a4_mother71212
Photo by AP

Donna Powers and Cary Smith, the mother
and step father of Wayne Treacy, speaks to
their son’s attorney Russell Williams during
trial Monday, July 9, 2012, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:18 am

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/national/south/view.bg?articleid=1061144927
Boston Herald - Boston, MA -- 7/11/12

Jury hears of injuries and recovery of Josie Lou Ratley

Wayne Treacy Charged with Attempted Murder in 'Text Rage' Beating that Left Josie Ratley in a Coma - Page 3 23dfa7_waynet71112
Photo by Taimy Alvarez/Sun Sentinel/MCT

Wayne Treacy listens to the testimony of
witness Quadiasha Moss, 17, Tuesday,
July 10, 2012, in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Treacy is charged with trying to kill Josie Lou Ratley.
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:24 am

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/11/2890737/prosecutors-expected-to-rest-case.html
The Miami Herald - Miami, FL -- 7/11/12

Treacy prosecution: ‘Do you consider him legally insane?’
A prosecutor flummoxed the first forensic psychologist called to defend Wayne Treacy, a Pompano Beach teen who is presenting an insanity defense against charges of attempted first-degree murder.

Wayne Treacy Charged with Attempted Murder in 'Text Rage' Beating that Left Josie Ratley in a Coma - Page 3 ZK7ao.St.56
fl-wayne-treacy-trial-opening-1: Wayne Treacy walks into
court before opening statements Monday afternoon in the
first degree attempted murder trail of Wayne Treacy, accused
of trying to kill Josie Lou Ratley by stomping on her head while
wearign steel-toe boots.

Photo by Taimy Alvarez Taimy Alvarez / Sun Sentinel

Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:34 am

Justice4all wrote:Live Video of the Wayne Treacy Trial

Here is a link to the Sun Sentinel Courts Twitter account which is covering the trial.

https://twitter.com/SSCourts
Bumping! Thanks, J4A!

If one wants to follow the trial, they can do so at the above Link.
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmore Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:12 am

Tess that was my point, I don't know that he meant it just because he said it... That kids now days have no filter, whatever angry emotion they're feeling they're going to word vomit a vile comment to go with it... Again last night on her FB a kid said to another that they were going to slit their throat if they talked about their sister again... They just don't realize that saying these comments even though their empty can be used against them if something bad happens to the person it was directed too... I guess because I see how they talk 24/7 I don't see he meant it as a real threat but was just running off at the mouth... Kids ARE different today so we have to take their "lifestyle" (for lack of a better word) into account because it's way different then how we lived... I blame alot of it on texting and social media because it's easy to act like a badass behind a screen but alot of times it's all bluffs. Kids don't know how to interact face to face anymore...
Bmore
Bmore

Back to top Go down

Post by Soprano1 Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Bmore wrote:Tess that was my point, I don't know that he meant it just because he said it... That kids now days have no filter, whatever angry emotion they're feeling they're going to word vomit a vile comment to go with it... Again last night on her FB a kid said to another that they were going to slit their throat if they talked about their sister again... They just don't realize that saying these comments even though their empty can be used against them if something bad happens to the person it was directed too... I guess because I see how they talk 24/7 I don't see he meant it as a real threat but was just running off at the mouth... Kids ARE different today so we have to take their "lifestyle" (for lack of a better word) into account because it's way different then how we lived... I blame alot of it on texting and social media because it's easy to act like a badass behind a screen but alot of times it's all bluffs. Kids don't know how to interact face to face anymore...
Bmore, I think what you're saying holds a lot of water. I work with teenagers, many of whom are emotionally disturbed. It seems, though, that the almost "psycho" comments that once were literal threats to life and limb, are now just "the way they talk," - even the ones who don't have problems. It's very sad, very disgusting that things have come to this, but I think you are on the exact right track with what you're saying.

I also agree that it's because of technological communications advances that we're seeing this problem. If cell phones and internet presences were not available for children at such a young age, they'd be able to socially mature a little more before being flung head-long into a world of faceless, often consequence-less communications. If I hollered something ugly at my friend when we were in middle school, I had to face an immediate consequence of seeing the tears well up in her eyes and it would cause me to stop then and there with guilt of what I'd done. Because, through social experience, I KNEW this to be a possible reaction, I would automatically check my emotions and filter my words, in order that such an unpleasant and painful moment for both myself and my friend would not occur. Now, if a middle-school kid wants to say something ugly, they can do it from, as you say, behind the safety of a screen, where immediate reactions and consequences are not a guarantee.

The solution? The ONLY viable option at this point is for parents to maintain control over their kids' technology use. There are two really good reasons that my oldest child is almost 14, and does NOT have her own Facebook even though all her friends do. One is, why the heck should I offer child predators a neatly-wrapped package of contact with my daughter? The other is that I believe she must be able to demonstrate a higher level of social maturity before given the right to say and do things so openly without immediate consequence. This is also the reason her texting rights are extremely limited. Entire "conversations" may not be held over "text." She can text a bit of info, or a short exchange with a friend, but if she wants to hold a conversation, she must call the person and use her voice. It's strict, but it's all an effort to help her OWN what she says. When you hear it come out of your mouth in your voice, it makes you OWN it. When you type it, you can't see the emotion and it's less real, so it can be taken farther. If you know something's going to spout out of your mouth in your own voice, you're more likely to check your words first.

OKAY. Soap-box over. But, Bmore, you totally nailed exactly what I believe happened in this tragic case.
Soprano1
Soprano1

Mood : Praying

http://msglenn-welcometomysoapbox.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:09 pm

the defense rested today. It will be interesting to see what the verdict is in this case.
tesstruhart
tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Wayne Treacy Trial: Teenager deeply troubled by brother's suicide, doctor says

July 12, 2012 5:03 PM
By Crimesider Staff

CBS/AP) FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Wayne Treacy, on trial for the savage kicking and stomping attack on a 15-year-old girl, was so deeply affected from witnessing his older brother's suicide that his grades nosedived and he showed classic symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder, a psychologist testified for the boy's defense Wednesday.

Pictures: Josie Lou Ratley, Steel-Toed Attack Victim

Dr. Phil Heller said 17-year-old Treacy suffered flashbacks, anger outbursts, trouble sleeping, depression and a drop in grades that did not befit a boy whose IQ tests and gifted-level grades showed he was "extremely bright" in all the years before the suicide. Heller said Treacy also had difficulty controlling increasingly strong emotions.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57471387-504083/wayne-treacy-trial-teenager-deeply-troubled-by-brothers-suicide-doctor-says/
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sharona Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:53 am

Good soap box, BTW.
This is a nightmare... More and more I have to say I am opposed to the non stop texting and Tweeting and Facebook posting.. even for adults.

I hope they make good decisions for the Treacy boy.. He is very damaged. I am not a teen.. but a grandmother. Last summer I lost a younger beloved sibling to suicide.. Hardest blow I have ever endured. I cannot imagine coping with that sort of inexplicable loss at 15.

Non stop texting, tweeting, facebooking by the spouse before and after this suicide has caused me to abandon that relationship entirely. I hope parents are rethinking letting kids have open access to this technology.

What is wrong with teens that they cannot feel empathy?

This is too tragic.

sharona

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:57 pm

Closing Arguments at Wayne Treacy Trial

Trial of teen accused of vicious attack wrapping up

By Ari Odzer and Brian Hamacher
Friday, Jul 13, 2012

Closing arguments were given Friday in the trial of a South Florida teen charged in the brutal attack on Josie Ratley.

Attorneys for 17-year-old Wayne Treacy rested their case Thursday after presenting their argument in support of an insanity claim.

They claim Treacy suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder and was not in control of what he was doing at the time of the March 17, 2010 attack on Ratley.

Prosecutors say Treacy was in his right mind and knew exactly what he was doing when he attacked her.

Read more: http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/Closing-Arguments-Expected-at-Wayne-Treacy-Trial-162340026.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:04 am

IMO, Treacy was overcome with anger and grief.
Had he been able to deal with his emotions, this would never had happened.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:06 am

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/07/13/closing-arguments-likely-friday-in-josie-ratley-beating-trial/
CBSMiami - Miami, FL -- 7/13/12

Wayne Treacy’s Fate Now In Jury’s Hands

Snipped:

The jury is expected to begin deliberations on Monday.

Treacy has pleaded not guilty to the charged of attempted first degree murder. If convicted he could be sentenced to up to 50 years in prison.

Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by WeeBonnie Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:12 am

I don't know how they could say he "lost control" when for so much prior he had been contemplating and planning for an extremely violent even possibly ending in both their deaths. I think it's horrible he had poor examples in both his Dad and brother that suicide seemed an option for him.
But once you decide to kill another person over mere words, you lose my sympathy completely. It's no sadder to me because he's young and cute. Most of the other murders out their had difficult lives and mental problems- no coping skills or practice reigning in their emotions. If he didn't do this now he'd likely do I later. If youre a human powder keg the question is usually when and not if.

WeeBonnie

Back to top Go down

Post by WeeBonnie Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:42 am

threatening to snap her neck and kill her.... Then kicking her at the base of the skull and neck with intentionally chosen steel toe boots? You think he "just" wanted to leave he paralysed for life?

My friends kid, usually lovely, started getting into bad scrapes as soon as 2nd grade. At first they blamed the other kids for provoking him. But it was bad, Kicks to the head also- their son would lose it and they were fortunate he didn't hurt someone. They did counseling but refused to consider meds, and made excuses as parents will. The school forced them into having a chaperone that they had to pay to monitor the kid. He would still have episodes of uncontrollable anger. I saw one and it scared the heck out of me- he was enraged over a little verbal disagreement. Totally inappropriate and worrisome.
After getting kicked out of a second school, running out if options, they tried meds. He's been fine since. You'd never know as he's as high spirited and smart and funny as ever. But something was a bit off with his wiring and his parents eventually faced up and dealt with it. Too many parents go into defensive mode and don't consider the consequences. You can't wait for a kid to grow out of it if his behavior is putting others lives in danger.

tesstruhart wrote:I know, its a different world than I grew up in for sure. The only thing is, he did mean to kill her. He even texted that she was going to die. I also think he has major emotional and mental issues. It will take years of counselling (if ever) to straighten him out. He should not be out on the street. He is holding a lot of anger and hate inside his body. I know that he had a rough childhood, but still, there are many who have had it just as dysfunctional or worse and do not resort to this. The young lady will never be whole again. She is a pretty young girl and just looking at her you wouldn't suspect that she is so handicapped now.

WeeBonnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:15 am

sharona wrote:Good soap box, BTW.
This is a nightmare... More and more I have to say I am opposed to the non stop texting and Tweeting and Facebook posting.. even for adults.

I hope they make good decisions for the Treacy boy.. He is very damaged. I am not a teen.. but a grandmother. Last summer I lost a younger beloved sibling to suicide.. Hardest blow I have ever endured. I cannot imagine coping with that sort of inexplicable loss at 15.

Non stop texting, tweeting, facebooking by the spouse before and after this suicide has caused me to abandon that relationship entirely. I hope parents are rethinking letting kids have open access to this technology.

What is wrong with teens that they cannot feel empathy?

This is too tragic.

WT is "damaged". He does not have the coping skills needed. Then again, how many 15 year old kids DO have the skills to deal with deep and personal grief?
How many health plans make it available? Where is it acceptable and affordable for a kid to REACH out and say, "Help me! Now! I have fallen and am struggling to keep my sanity!"

Under Prez Ronald R., we closed the majority of our "insane" asylums. An asylum should be a place one can go when they are overwhelmed, get counseling, learn coping skills, HEAL. But the doors were slammed shut! So our society has decided it is not in their financial interest to assist those who have permanent or temporary mental health issues AND may be a danger to themselves of to others. (Look at Kelly Thomas of Fullerton--- mentally ill schizophrenic who was ON the streets and homeless when the Fullerton PD decided to murder him by kicking and beating him to death. Trial is on for the officers of Fullerton. )

In July 2003, a very dear and long time friend of my family died after a brief illness.
This month, I asked myself, "So, how are you doing this year? " And the answer is, "I am finally coming to terms and accepting this death." Would counseling have helped me? Probably. Is it available or affordable? No. And this was not a suicide of a sibling; this was not MY finding my friend dead; this was not where I found my friend hanging by the neck. And I was NOT a young teen with no one to turn to.

Was anyone there for WT? Did the school not step in to advise as I am sure his grades and behavior would have been note worthy at the school.

Yes. He DOES need to own responsibility for this tragedy but we as a society are also needing to recognize we are failing our next generations when we do not give them coping skills. Stomping the life out of someone only complicates your own pain; it does not mitigate the personal frustration and anguish you are feeling. And pushing someone's button just to see the response is not kind or advisable. Especially when you KNOW your comments are designed to hurt someone already raw with pain.

Bad situation for all. I hope she continues to heal. I hope he, too, is beginning to heal.And I wish society would pay attention to those who are crying out for help.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:59 am

Lashed shared this link at another thread.
I had to think of WT and his family:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/regina-weinreich/boy-interrupted-interview_b_249964.html
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:28 pm

Freckles wrote:Lashed shared this link at another thread.
I had to think of WT and his family:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/regina-weinreich/boy-interrupted-interview_b_249964.html

Freckles I just read the article and the comments below it. My heart is aching. I have one son who suffers from depression, not bipolar but has been suicidal at some points. Now he is a dad, he is on medication and things are at an even keel right now. It is absolutely heart-stopping when you realize that there is nothing you can do to reach your child. You do all you know how to do and it still hasn't given them peace.
As far as WT is concerned, I can't imagine finding your brother hanging from a tree. It would be traumatic, and that word doesn't seem to cover it. My problem with him is that although he obviously is having mental health issues, and perhaps did not get any help from parents, school, medical community, he was very intent on going after this particular girl. The rage that is inside this child is unimaginable. I would have no problem with him being in a mental health prison. I don't know what counselling services are available and how dedicated they would be, but I would suspect that in that type of facility, they might be ok since that would be their sole purpose. He should not be out on the street. I feel for his family to lose one son so tragic and the other as a result of the first would be more than I could take, I think. However, for the rest of society, Wayne needs care and help and society needs protection.
tesstruhart
tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by WeeBonnie Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:30 pm

Very true Freckles. Theres so much stigma- and a big focus on medicating without helping people cope. And with a dad in jail and the brother a suicide it looks like no one was modeling healthy behavior. Sad.
I'm just saying I do not buy there was no premeditation.

[/quote]WT is "damaged". He does not have the coping skills needed. Then again, how many 15 year old kids DO have the skills to deal with deep and personal grief?
How many health plans make it available? Where is it acceptable and affordable for a kid to REACH out and say, "Help me! Now! I have fallen and am struggling to keep my sanity!"

Under Prez Ronald R., we closed the majority of our "insane" asylums. An asylum should be a place one can go when they are overwhelmed, get counseling, learn coping skills, HEAL. But the doors were slammed shut! So our society has decided it is not in their financial interest to assist those who have permanent or temporary mental health issues AND may be a danger to themselves of to others. (Look at Kelly Thomas of Fullerton--- mentally ill schizophrenic who was ON the streets and homeless when the Fullerton PD decided to murder him by kicking and beating him to death. Trial is on for the officers of Fullerton. )

In July 2003, a very dear and long time friend of my family died after a brief illness.
This month, I asked myself, "So, how are you doing this year? " And the answer is, "I am finally coming to terms and accepting this death." Would counseling have helped me? Probably. Is it available or affordable? No. And this was not a suicide of a sibling; this was not MY finding my friend dead; this was not where I found my friend hanging by the neck. And I was NOT a young teen with no one to turn to.

Was anyone there for WT? Did the school not step in to advise as I am sure his grades and behavior would have been note worthy at the school.

Yes. He DOES need to own responsibility for this tragedy but we as a society are also needing to recognize we are failing our next generations when we do not give them coping skills. Stomping the life out of someone only complicates your own pain; it does not mitigate the personal frustration and anguish you are feeling. And pushing someone's button just to see the response is not kind or advisable. Especially when you KNOW your comments are designed to hurt someone already raw with pain.

Bad situation for all. I hope she continues to heal. I hope he, too, is beginning to heal.And I wish society would pay attention to those who are crying out for help.[/quote]

WeeBonnie

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Wayne is Guilty per tweet from Sunsentinel
tesstruhart
tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:50 pm

http://www.local10.com/news/Jury-reaches-verdict-in-Treacy-trial/-/1717324/15529416/-/12tn2ejz/-/index.html
tesstruhart
tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:45 pm

Wayne Treacy's Texts Were Key to His Conviction, Juror Says

"I think everyone was sad for the victim, everyone was sad for the defendant," he told NBC 6

By Ari Odzer | Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 | Updated 7:09 PM EDT
Wayne Treacy Charged with Attempted Murder in 'Text Rage' Beating that Left Josie Ratley in a Coma - Page 3 071612+wayne+treacy
NBCMiami.com - Wayne Treacy is taken into custody after he was found guilty of attempted murder in the attack on Josie Ratley

Wayne Treacy’s text messages before and after his brutal attack on Josie Ratley were a key reason why a jury convicted him of attempted murder, a juror said Tuesday.

“They were very clear as to what the defendant was gonna do, when he was gonna do it, how he was gonna do it, and then he went and did it and then 5 or 10 minutes later, he decided that he was going to text his friends about the consequences of what he had just done,” the juror, who wants to remain anonymous, told NBC 6.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Wayne-Treacys-Texts-Were-Key-to-His-Conviction-Juror-Says-162797046.html
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:09 am

From Alessandra's link:

" The jury never heard Treacy tell a detective, just hours after the incident, that he couldn't believe he did it. The prosecutor chose not to enter the interrogation video into evidence.

On the video, the detective asks, “Are you sorry for what you did?"

"Of course, why do you think I’ve been crying?” Treacy replies.

The juror, after watching the video, said it might have helped Treacy's defense.

"If we would've seen that whole tape, then I think the decision may have been different. Maybe we would have gravitated toward second-degree, or maybe we would've found him insane,” he said."

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Wayne-Treacys-Texts-Were-Key-to-His-Conviction-Juror-Says-162797046.html

I wonder if this will be grounds for an appeal? Info that was NOT shared.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Soprano1 Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:51 pm

Freckles wrote:From Alessandra's link:

" The jury never heard Treacy tell a detective, just hours after the incident, that he couldn't believe he did it. The prosecutor chose not to enter the interrogation video into evidence.

On the video, the detective asks, “Are you sorry for what you did?"

"Of course, why do you think I’ve been crying?” Treacy replies.

The juror, after watching the video, said it might have helped Treacy's defense.

"If we would've seen that whole tape, then I think the decision may have been different. Maybe we would have gravitated toward second-degree, or maybe we would've found him insane,” he said."

I wonder if this will be grounds for an appeal? Info that was NOT shared.
In the relatively small amount of research I've done on appeals and grounds for appeals, this sounds like a very good possibility. If it's more than one juror who feels this way and is willing to put that in an official statement, then I think Wayne's counsel should go for it and see what happens. I can totally believe the boy was sorry once he realized what he'd done and came back down off of anger. The kid's been through hell in his recent years, and finally it all just broke loose - unfortunately, on another person who made insensitive remarks about the hell he's endured. Of course, she should have had to pay for her remarks with a heartfelt apology, not with her life, as he tried to do.

"There was just one thing that really angered me. Usually when I get angry it just goes away and I just vent and stuff, I don't know, I couldn't get the feeling to subside," Wayne Treacy told the BSO detective who interrogated him.

He handles his anger, usually, in a seemingly positive way. I don't think he expected this anger to continue to grow, and he didn't know what to do with that growing anger compounded by grief (as the psychologist stated, he recalls during the attack thinking only of his brother, Mike, hanging from a tree, dead - Wayne was the one to find him that way!). He desperately needed counseling after his brother's death - anyone would! His cries for help went unchecked. He, although a teen, probably felt like a little helpless boy inside, while dealing with his brother's suicide. That feeling - in men and young men - is often countered by physical anger, because psychologically, it makes them feel less like a helpless child. It's that way for women, too - lots of people go outside and punch on a punching bag when they're angry. My fiance was taught, growing up, not to bully or fight or hit people, so as a college kid, when he got angry, he went outside and picked up the "throwing rock" (a massive garden boulder that he had to wrap his arms all the way around just to lift), and "threw" it. It was large and heavy, and wouldn't fly very far, and because of the force exerted just to lift and chunk it, he was able to relieve his angry frustration in a way that hurt no one. That was the point of the "throwing rock." Granted, it took a few throws from time to time, but to get one's anger under control, a "coping skill" of sorts MUST be identified. No one was there to help Wayne identify things that he could use to manage an instance of uncontrolled emotion. No one realized he was just one derogatory text away from erupting - not even Wayne.

In the room, alone with his thoughts, not knowing he was being recorded, Wayne berated himself out loud, calling himself a "monster." And, the prosecutors should be ashamed of themselves for acting like the exchange of texts that led up to this was "not that bad." After reading only the texts that the media released, the exchange WAS that bad. It was hurtful and ugly, and vindictive - Josie shot to him that her very-much-alive father was dead; Wayne called him an abuser; Josie repeatedly called Wayne a rapist; Wayne threatened her angrily; Josie continued to provoke, saying he made her giggle; Wayne made vile allegations and threats...and on it goes. And after Wayne's anger came under control, and he learned the severity of what he'd done, he reacted this way:
"He repeatedly cried and muttered to himself. "You were supposed to yell at her, you stupid idiot," he said to himself."
I want to note here that, not ONE TIME has it been reported that Wayne said, "Well, if she hadn't said that stuff..." or, "Yeah, I took it too far, but you should have SEEN what she said to me!" Not once. He has not blamed her at all for his actions. He has stated the things that happened leading up, in a factual way, to investigators, but he takes FULL blame and responsibility for his actions. You don't get that from most teens these days, over ANYTHING, much less something that will land them behind bars. Mostly, it's just finger-pointing and "I didn't do nuthin'" that I hear at the high school.

Consequences are necessary, but this boy needs to be in 24-hour counseling and therapy. Sure, he should be tried as an adult. He was aware, but not aware, of what was going on. That's called rage. It's a very grown-up thing with very grown-up consequences. He has said himself that he needs therapy and counseling, and that he WANTS it. He never tried to run from his crime - he was still there when 911 was called and did not attempt to run. He has not tried to evade the investigation, and I think it's because he knows he's serving just punishment for what he owns up to doing. Behind bars will not serve a man like this in any way. He is not a serial criminal. He is a desperately hurting young man whose unchecked anger turned him into a monster, even though, in his irrational state, he believed he was violently defending his cherished brother. He is unbelievably remorseful, asking constantly about Josie's progress, smiling when he learned she was going to make it (""The first time I saw [Treacy] smile was when I told him [Ratley] was sitting up in a chair and out of bed," Williams said outside court Saturday."). Josie will never have back the life and abilities she had, but that's a high price to pay for berating someone in a way that she knew would hurt him the most. It is, however, something that she could have prevented just as much as Wayne could have. They are both at fault for causing the situation, and now both lives are destroyed.

I hope that Josie's memory never lets her recall that awful day, but that she will improve by leaps and bounds and shatter everyone's capped expectations of what she will be able to do. I hope she doesn't have to face the awful things she said to Wayne while she's trying to recover. I hope that, if she is able to have a social life again, she will be better than she was and more compassionate and thoughtful...and I sincerely hope that she can regain the life and abilities she once had, because she deserves the chance to "do it over" with a softer heart. I hope that, upon appeal, Wayne will be able to be seen for the man he wishes to become, and be given the tools to overcome the things that torture him inside. He has suffered, and will suffer, for what he did to Josie, and he should. But, what led to it and what transpired afterward has convinced me that he is not a lost cause, and should not waste away behind bars, but should be given the chance to become a man who can help others who are dealing with demons in their lives, to overcome them productively. I think he will do just that, if given the chance.
Soprano1
Soprano1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmore Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:10 pm

Soprano1... When it comes to this case I think you're my long lost twin... lol
Bmore
Bmore

Back to top Go down

Post by Soprano1 Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:35 pm

Bmore wrote:Soprano1... When it comes to this case I think you're my long lost twin... lol
LOL! I'm noticing that we think a lot alike on many of these cases!
Soprano1
Soprano1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next