Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer

+13
FystyAngel
pi-girl
mel
TigerMom
Ann - Tx
sitemama
Julie
KariBear
Snaz
Sherry
Estee
Justice4all
Piper
17 posters

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer - Page 7 Empty Re: Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer

Post by Piper Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:07 am

Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer - Page 7 Carpet10

Annette Davis, forensic scientist, Miami Valley Crime Lab on the stand.

She is showing another carpet sample. This is the largest one, collected from near her head. The previous one was underneath where her hips.

Davis says that the sample appears to have been wet, which diluted the stain and made the bag damp.

This sample tested positive for blood and human fecal material. No semen.

Davis explaining how she tested samples collected from underneath Sarah's fingernails. This evidence was collected during the autopsy.

Tested for DNA. Scrapings under left hand belonged mostly to Sarah but some additional DNA from someone else. But minor.

Under right hand, DNA from additional female found. Davis attempted to match that DNA to Sgt. Lisa Elliott, Amy Costello and Lila Gibbs (ER nurses). Also Ruth Ann Steward. Unknown DNA did not match any of these four women.

They've never been able to find out whose DNA was under Sarah's right fingernails, it was female DNA.
Piper
Piper

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer - Page 7 Empty Re: Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer

Post by Estee Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:16 am

I was a bit late getting to the trial today so while they are on 'brunch break' I'm reading the earlier stuff...I see that the rug stain near her head contained fecal matter as well as blood...I take it that that indicates that her original position was reversed...If this is so it doesn't look good...Will have to get back to reading to see if there is any logical reason explained for this....

By the way Sherry...since you missed the first 2 days of the trial, you can go back and read Travis' blog...just locate the previous link for it and change the "Day" to whichever day you want to read...
Estee
Estee

Mood : Neener

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:33 am

That's what it sounds like to me, Estee.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:45 am

Just got caught up on my reading now I'm off to the kitchen for refreshment..COFFEE and coffee cake....I'll have lunch later...when they have their afternoon break...
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks, Estee, will do!
Sherry
Sherry

Mood : Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:11 pm

I see they are discussing the bathtub now, been busy, need to get caught up on this testimony.

Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer - Page 7 Tub_bm10

Danny Lee Harness, fingerprint examiner, Miami Valley Crime Lab - on the stand.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:39 pm

Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer - Page 7 Tub_di10

Tub diagram
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Got a theory...Maybe Sarah felt herself passing out and attempted to get out of tub...hencforth fingerprints on back side of tub appear to be sliding downwards and also resulting in her face down position in tub...JMO

Got a question...what was the time span from Ryan's 911 call to the arrival at the hospital??? Just curious...
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:22 pm

Forget about question...ER doc said revival attempt had gone on for 50 minutes....that's good enough for me...
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi Estee! I was so busy today, but kept up with Travis. Very interesting testimony today, don't you think?

That's a good theory about Sarah feeling like she was going to pass out. Her employer testified this morning that she'd had stomach pains for a long time, and had a sore throat and headache at work the day she died.

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:35 am

Ryan Widmer Trial 3: Day 8 Live Blog:

http://livewire.wlwt.com/Event/Ryan_Widmer_Trial_3_Day_8
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:37 am

Testimony Centers On DNA, Bathroom In Widmer Trial
Lead Investigator Takes Stand

POSTED: 12:51 pm EST February 3, 2011
UPDATED: 6:43 pm EST February 3, 2011

LEBANON -- Testimony continued Thursday in the third trial of Ryan Widmer.

Widmer is accused of drowning his wife, Sarah, in their home's bathtub in 2008.

In the morning session, jurors heard from two people, including a forensic scientist who testified that there was DNA of an unknown female found under Sarah Widmer’s fingernails.

Annette Davis said if Sarah Widmer had been soaking in a tub, that DNA probably would've been washed away.

"I think it's a lot less likely to find a full DNA profile of an individual under someone else's fingernails if they'd been soaking in a bath tub for awhile," Davis said.

Sarah's boss at the time she died, Dr. John Becker, was also called to testify.

He said Sarah had expressed concerns about Ryan’s smoking habits and excessive drinking, testimony jurors heard in the last two trials.

Read more:
http://www.wlwt.com/ryan-widmer-retrial/26730860/detail.html
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:41 am

They seem to think the prosecution may rest today, we'll see.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:32 pm

Prosecution Calls Last Witness In Widmer Trial
Defense To Begin Case Next

POSTED: 12:22 pm EST February 4, 2011
UPDATED: 12:39 pm EST February 4, 2011

LEBANON -- Prosecutors have called their final witness in the third murder trial of Ryan Widmer.

Widmer is accused of drowning his wife, Sarah, in a bathtub at their Warren County home in 2008.

Dr. Charles Jeffrey Lee was called to the witness stand on Friday morning.

Lee, deputy coroner for Licking County, reviewed Sarah Widmer's autopsy results and medical record and backed up the testimony of Warren County Coroner Dr. Russell Uptegrove.

Lee said he agreed that some of Sarah Widmer's injuries did not appear to be from resuscitation efforts, referring to a small bruise on her forehead, a scratch inside the armpit and some bruising on her leg.

Read more:
http://www.wlwt.com/ryan-widmer-retrial/26746253/detail.html
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:37 pm

Witness: Sarah Widmer was forcibly drowned

By Janice Morse • jmorse@enquirer.com • February 4, 2011

LEBANON - A second doctor agrees with the Warren County coroner that injuries to Sarah Widmer showed someone forced her to drown.

Dr. Charles Jeffrey Lee, deputy coroner in Licking County near Columbus, took the witness stand Friday, the 10th day of Ryan Widmer's retrial on a murder charge in the 2008 drowning of his wife, Sarah, 24.

Read more:
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110204/NEWS0107/302040042/Witness-Widmer-forcibly-drowned
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:13 pm

Boy oh boy does the defense have a hill to climb...and this case too has a problem since Dr. Spitz has been ill...Didn't realize that he was involved here and with Casey A's case too...Will be awaiting the defense coverage on Monday...
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by mel Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:16 pm

I live in the same county as Ryan.. Let me just say this is a witch hunt... I don't know if Ryan did it or not, but I do know that there is enough reasonable doubt that he shouldn't be convicted...It doesn't add up.. They didn't have money problems, he didn't have a mistress, he didn't have a motive and this Jennifer Crew is just a fame seeking wh**e.. I don't believe that he ever "confessed" to her. Why would he do that... I certainly hope that they find him not guilty this time and let this young man get on with his life.

mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:07 am

Hi mel, Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer - Page 7 864739 to RC. I'm glad you joined us. I don't believe for a minute Ryan ever "confessed" anything to Jennifer Crew, she's in it for the show. I hope the defense calls her methadone clinic counselor to the stand, I think her storytelling habit will be revealed. I would hate to see the jury hung up on this woman's testimony even though it's full of holes and completely ridiculous.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:08 am

PROSECUTION WITNESS LIST (as of Friday, Feb. 4):

•Don Sebastianelli- communications analyst (keeper of records, 911 calls)
•Jeff Teague- EMT
•Steve Bishop- Warren County Sheriff’s deputy
•Jason Stevens- firefighter/paramedic
•Sgt. Lisa Elliot- 1st responder, police officer
•Doyle Burke- chief investigator for the Warren Co. Coroner's Office
•Dr. James Layne Moore- OSU medical college, in the EKG lab-- neurology and sleep medicine expert
•Dr. Russell Uptegrove- Warren Co. Coroner/Montgomery Co. forensic pathologist
•Dr. William M. Rogers
•Derek Roat- firefighter/EMT for Hamilton Twp.
•Mark Bedwell- Hamilton Twp PD officer
•Lt. Brian Dapper- Firefighter/paramedic
•Officer Quillan Short- Hamilton Twp PD
•Ruth Ann Steward- Sarah's mother
•Jennifer Crew- Manager of a gentleman's club in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
•Floyd Edward Hurlett III- Jennifer Crew’s fiance
•Amy Costello- ER nurse
•Annette Davis- forensic scientist at the Miami Valley Crime Lab
•John Becker- Ft. Thomas dentist/Sarah's boss
•Danny Lee Harness- latent prints examiner at the crime lab
•Dr. David Marcus- ER doctor from Bethesda Arrowsprings
•William Hillard- Senior criminalist for City of Cincinnati
•Lt. Jeff Braley- lead detective
•Dr. Charles Jeffrey Lee- chief forensic pathologist

Read more:
http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/widmer-trial:-10-days-in,-what-is-to-come_6057542
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by mel Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:17 am

Piper, Thanks for the welcome! From what I have heard, the woman's counselor is supposed to testify... I am not sure though there are so many rumors flying around this county. This for sure is the most notorious case we have ever had in this little county. I just hate that it is at his expense. I believe after the first verdict was overturned and the second trial ended in a hung jury, they should have just dropped it, but anyone who knows the prosecutor around here, knows she never would. She is a hard hard woman...

mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:31 am

I live in the same area. No way Hutzel's going to let this drop, no matter what!
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:33 am

The defense is expected to begin its case in the trial of Ryan Widmer

Ryan Widmer Trial 3: Day 9 LIVE Blog with Travis Gettys

http://livewire.wlwt.com/Event/Ryan_Widmer_Trial_3_Day_9

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:53 am

Prosecution rested this morning. Dr. Werner Spitz is the first witness for the defense. He did a second autopsy on Sarah 3 days later and found manner of death undetermined, when the coroner found the manner of death homicide.

Dr. Werner Spitz, forensic pathologist (testimony read by James Spaeth, clerk of courts, due to the doctor's unavailability as a result of a medical issue)

Spaeth is not sworn in, but Judge Bronson says Spitz was sworn in on May 24, 2009. Spitz was previously directly examined by Hal Arenstein.

Bronson asks the jury to treat Mr. Spaeth as if Dr. Spitz was in the courtroom. He will not be permitted to make the gestures indicated in the transcript.
Bronson explaining that this testimony was deemed reliable at a previous trial, and so will be permitted in this trial.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by mel Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:59 pm

I agree, there is no way Hutzel will drop it... She wants to go out with a bang I guess!

mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:41 pm

Widmer defense wants full copy of ‘Dateline NBC’ for testimony

Updated 3:22 PM Monday, February 7, 2011

LEBANON — It appears Ryan Widmer’s defense will ask the jury sometime this week to watch the show produced by “Dateline NBC” about the case. The defense subpoenaed the producers of the TV show today for a full copy of the Widmer airing.

The defense alleges Jennifer Crew was able to gain information from the TV show to make up her testimony about Widmer’s alleged confession.

Crew said an inebriated Widmer confessed to her during a phone call that he killed his wife, Sarah Widmer.

Widmer’s attorneys began their defense today of the accused killer, following eight days of testimony from the prosecution’s 24 witnesses.

The defense started its case by having the previous testimony from Dr. Werner Spitz, a world-renowned forensic pathologist who performed a second autopsy on Sarah Widmer, read to the jury.

Common Pleas Judge Neal Bronson issued an order Friday declaring Spitz unavailable for the trial because of a health condition caused by him swallowing a chicken bone on Christmas Eve. Warren County Clerk of Courts Jim Spaeth read the testimony today from Spitz’s appearance at the second trial.

Spitz testified that Sarah Widmer died from drowning, but does not agree with the prosecution’s premise that Ryan Widmer caused her death.

Read more:
http://www.middletownjournal.com/widmer-defense-wants-full-copy-of-dateline-nbc-for-testimony-1075049.html?cxtype=ynews_rss
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:43 pm

I think it's a great idea for the jury to see the Dateline episode! It's become a huge part of this trial.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by mel Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:29 pm

I agree Piper.. They really need to see how she got the information.. I have a question though, have we heard if Jennifer's drug counselor is going to testify that she is known for making up stories? I really hope so...

mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Missed most of today, but understand Dr. Spitz testimony was heard...That was a plus for the Defense as far as I'm concerned...Hope tomorrow goes as well...I'm with you and agree that the jury should be able to deduce that Mz Crew got most of her info from the Dateline show...Sure hope that the defense is able to present a positive picture of Ryan...
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by mel Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:32 pm

I hope so too Estee!!!! Enough is enough as far as I'm concerned!

mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:33 pm

Welcome to RC, mel!~ Very Happy

I did not receive any updates on this thread like I should have so am just now catching up with what I missed! Thanks for commenting on the day's events.
Sherry
Sherry

Mood : Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by mel Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:48 pm

Thank you Sherry!!! I am enjoying it very much!

mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:31 am

Mel, that's what I've heard about the drug counselor. That will be some interesting testimony! Anxious to see who's up today.

Ryan Widmer Trial 3: Day 10 LIVE Blog

http://livewire.wlwt.com/Event/Ryan_Widmer_Trial_3_Day_10
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:58 am

Mel...may I apologize for not welcoming you to RC...Mama is gonna spank me whoop ...Glad you could come...
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:10 am

LOL Estee!!

This Dr. Smile on the stand is really explaining the intubation process. He's been a paid expert witness in the other 2 trials, he's not charging for the 3rd trial.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:15 am

There's not too many people observing in the courtroom today...I wonder if that's indicative of people that think Ryan guilty...in other words not interested in defense witnesses...
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:32 am

I hope the jury is listening closely to what Dr. Smile is saying...Me thinks it is very important and definately shows reasons for the bruising/abrasions...He seems to be more learned than the docs that testified for the prosecution...IMO...When he said that 48 min was an extremely long time to attemp resusitation he read my mind...especially since she was nonresponsive when the paramedics arrived...
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:59 am

He's being very thorough and his way of explaining things are very easily understood. He does appear to be more experienced.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Expert says it’s 'possible' Sarah Widmer suffered seizure, drowned in tub

Updated 1:23 PM Tuesday, February 8, 2011

LEBANON — Emergency room expert Dr. David Smile testified today that it’s “possible” Sarah Widmer suffered a first-ever seizure or cardiac event, causing her to drown in her bathtub.

Smile, who has testified twice before for Ryan Widmer’s defense, said such events, that involve the electrical systems in the heart and brain, would not show up on an autopsy because electrical impulses can’t be measure on a dead person.

Sudden unexpected cardiac arrests occur in about 1,000 patients under the age of 35 in the U.S. each year, according to Smile.

Sarah Widmer died by drowning, according to the county’s coroner. Widmer, 30, is accused of forcing her to drown in their Warren County home in August 2008. He is being retried for the third time.

Smile is testifying for free after being paid by the defense in the past two trials. Widmer was declared indigent, but the court ruled Smile’s services would not be paid for.

Smile was on the stand all morning and Assistant Prosecutor Travis Vieux will take over questioning this afternoon.

Read more:
http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/expert-says-its-possible-sarah-widmer-suffered-seizure-drowned-in-tub-1075909.html?cxtype=ynews_rss
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:55 pm

~Snipped~
A subpoena was issued Monday to the producers of the show “Dateline NBC.” Representatives of the show have been recording video during all three trials and its first program about the case aired on Sept. 18, 2009 entitled “Mystery in the Master Bathroom.

The defense asked the producers to “please overnight a copy” to Warren County Common Pleas Court. A court worker came in and handed the defense team a package about mid morning. It’s unclear whether the program will be aired in court.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:41 pm

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:46 pm

Excellent testimony today for the defense by Dr. Smile and it seemed that the prosecution's cross examination was pretty intense as well.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by mel Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:41 pm

I heard that the defense is calling a new witness that have never testified in any other trial. Can't wait to hear what she has to say!

mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:31 pm

Ok, mel............give us a hint.... Very Happy
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:37 pm

Another Widmer website fan to testify

Posted: 8:29 PM
Last Updated: 27 minutes ago

LEBANON, Ohio - Another woman who contacted Ryan Widmer through the website FreeRyanWidmer.com has been subpoenaed to testify for the defense.

Widmer’s defense attorneys subpoenaed new witness, Melissa Waller, late Tuesday afternoon. It orders her to appear on Friday morning.

She posted the video, “ A tribute to Sarah- from Ryan's eulogy ” to the Free Ryan Widmer Facebook page and on YouTube on Oct. 2, 2009.

Waller is the third woman to be mentioned surrounding the case for striking up a relationship with Widmer through the website.

(Above is the YouTube video that Melissa Waller posted to the Free Ryan Widmer Facebook page.)

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Link for above:

http://www.kypost.com/dpps/shared/another-widmer-website-fan-to-testify_6066045
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by mel Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:41 pm

Well as you can see, Melissa Waller is going to testify. As well as Mike Mayleben.. He is the creator of the "Free Ryan Widmer" website. The best websites to get info from is wcpo.com. they have a live blog from the court room every day. Also Western-star.com is our local newpaper and they post something new everyday as well.. I really have enjoyed this site!!! I feel like there are other people who want to keep an open mind as well!

mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Ok, I'm available to attend the trial Thursday or Friday...not sure which day I will attend.

Last edited by Piper on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:46 pm

I assumed Mike Mayleben would be called, mainly in regards to J. Crew's membership there. Do you think they will have the jury view the entire episode of the Dateline show? I think they will.........
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by mel Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:07 pm

Oh wow, Piper, you are going to attend... I would love to be there.. However, I have to work.. It will be awesome to get 1st hand details!

mel

Back to top Go down

Post by mel Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:09 pm

Piper, I agree with you, I think they have to show the whole episode of the Dateline show. Otherwise it favors one side or the other. Can't wait to hear what you observe in the courtroom.

mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next