Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer

+13
FystyAngel
pi-girl
mel
TigerMom
Ann - Tx
sitemama
Julie
KariBear
Snaz
Sherry
Estee
Justice4all
Piper
17 posters

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer - Page 8 Empty Re: Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer

Post by Sherry Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:30 pm

That's a tough choice, Piper! Who will the defense call on these days and whose testimony would you most like to hear? Either day, it will be nice to have "boots on the ground", so to speak, and I look forward to your commentary on it.
Sherry
Sherry

Mood : Praying

Back to top Go down

Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer - Page 8 Empty Re: Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer

Post by Ann - Tx Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:54 pm

Hi, Piper!

Thanks for posting the video. Sarah and Ryan looked like a very happy couple. I wonder what could have gone wrong in only 4 months of marriage. She was a beautiful young lady!

I liked the video. Did Ryan make the video or did his friend make it?

Piper, how exciting that you will be able to attend one day of the trial!

I look forward to your, "Piper . . . on the scene report!"

Mel, thanks for your info also. It sounds as though you are from the area also.
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by mel Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:40 am

Ann, Yes I am.. It is a media circus around here, that is for sure.. The person who made that video from what I can understand is Melissa Waller. It is getting very interesting for sure!

mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:13 am

Thanks for the info, mel. It is awesome that you and Piper are from the area and can share info with us that the media might not cover.

Do you think Ryan is guilty? From what I read about the previous trials, I think he is guilty. I was unaware of this case until Piper brought it to my attention not long ago. I do not know all the details of the case like you and Piper would know.

I wish I had time to watch the live trial updates from the reporter in the court room. I watched it for about 5 minutes one day. Cool.
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:46 am

Hi Ann! This is an interesting case indeed. Mel, I think the Western Star does a great job as well. The other news outlets that are doing the commentary/blogs do a great job too. I've just been following Travis Gettys from WLWT from the beginning, so I've tended to stick with his blog. I had scheduled these two vacation days, so I'm thinking I will go Friday when Melissa Waller is scheduled to testify. I'm anxious to see everything first hand.
Piper
Piper

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:48 am

Defense Subpoenas Online Supporter In Widmer Case
Melissa Waller Uploaded Pro-Widmer Video After Dateline Broadcast

POSTED: 4:25 pm EST February 8, 2011
UPDATED: 6:48 am EST February 9, 2011

LEBANON, Ohio -- A second woman who apparently contacted Ryan Widmer through a website set up to support him has been subpoenaed to testify for him.

The subpoena was issued by defense attorneys Tuesday afternoon for Melissa Waller, whose address was not listed on the document.

She uploaded a video to YouTube that sets to music a eulogy written by Widmer for his wife, 24-year-old Sarah Widmer.

Read more, there's another video as well:
http://www.wlwt.com/ryan-widmer-retrial/26793041/detail.html
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:51 am

Ryan Widmer Trial 3: Day 11 LIVE Blog

http://livewire.wlwt.com/Event/Ryan_Widmer_Trial_3_Day_11

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:55 am

~Snipped~
Waller apparently uploaded the video, "A Tribute To Sarah From Ryan's Eulogy," on Oct. 2, 2009.

"This is dedicated to the love that Ryan and Sarah Widmer shared," Waller wrote. "Sarah's life was cut short on August 11, 2008. The words throughout are from the eulogy letter Ryan wrote for his wife Sarah."

Sarah Widmer's family delayed her funeral so her husband could attend, but he was not released from jail in time to make it to the service.

A priest read the eulogy Widmer wrote, portions of which are included in the video.

Waller became interested in the case because her own sister-in-law died suddenly after her wedding, and Waller stayed with Widmer and his family while attending a Cincinnati-area fundraiser, a friend said.

Prosecutors have also indicated that at least one other woman contacted Widmer through the site and even moved to the Cincinnati area to be near him, but her identity has not been revealed.

I can see why Waller sympathized with Ryan and his family after seeing the Dateline episode, being her sister-in-law died suddenly after her wedding.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:07 am

One of the defense attorneys is carrying the DVD around this morning, maybe they are going to watch the Dateline episode this morning. I looked back at my first post for this thread, it was the same night that episode aired. It's interesting to me how Dateline, a website and those website members are all woven together in a murder trial.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:09 am

This bit about Sarah falling asleep just about anywhere reminds me of my son with heart defects when he was young...I never had to put him down for a nap as he would fall asleep in his tracts when he got tired...Wonder if she had "sugar cravings" ????
Estee
Estee

Mood : Neener

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:21 am

That's interesting, Estee. Did your son have sugar cravings? Sarah's mom testified that she never witnessed Sarah falling asleep like that, but everyone else has, even her co-workers. Her boss, the dentist, said she would even go into the darkroom at the office to stave off headaches. And that she would sleep in her car during lunch.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:27 pm

He had a horrible appetite...very fussy eater...carboholic and sweets (chocolate) and fruit he loved...When I found a recipe he would eat, we would have it several nights a week...just for him...Of course I fixed other stuff for the girls...they would eat just about anything I cooked...I have to admit his palate has improved with age...
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:24 pm

All of her sleeping bits...I wonder if she had undiagnosed depression...I know that can make one tired...even though she might not admit it...
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Wow, what a note to end on...and judge doesn't know if they will be back at 9ish or noon tomorrow...guess we'll just have to wait and see...
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:38 pm

Interesting testimony today! The one co-worker sure seemed to feel slighted about Sarah's napping habit.

I agree, what a statement to end the testimony today! Travis said they all really gasped! Last I heard it's 1:30 tomorrow, apparently trying to work around witness's schedules.

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by mel Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Ann, I don't know if Ryan is guilty or not, but I think there is enough reasonable doubt that I could not convict him if I was on the jury.... There were too many errors during CPR and there was a rush to judgement that Ryan did it. If you knew this county and the prosecutor then you would understand why I have my doubts.

mel

Back to top Go down

Post by mel Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:46 pm

Piper, I haven't followed WLWT's blog. I will have to check that one out. I have followed WCPO and that one has been very good. The blogger's name is Jessica Noll. She describes what the witnesses are wearing. She describes when Ryan smiles, or has expressions. She has also blogged that there are a few jurors that has smiled at Ryan when some of the defense witnesses testified about their 1st dance at their wedding. Very interesting indeed!

mel

Back to top Go down

Post by mel Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:41 pm

I went and read Travis' blog and I have to say that it is certainly more lively. I will have to read that more every day. It is easier to follow too!

mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:18 am

I just read the Dateline transcript and Jill Widmer brought up something I can believe happened, that being that it could have been an aneurism. It was asked if there were heart problems or brain problems but not asked about specifically was if it may have been an aneurism. IMO, its not ruled out. I've heard of many young women who have died of a brain aneurism and it started out by frequent, bad headaches.
Sherry
Sherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:30 pm

Ryan Widmer Trial 3: Day 12 LIVE Blog with Travis Gettys

http://livewire.wlwt.com/Event/Ryan_Widmer_Trial_3_Day_12
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:31 pm

I have to run a ton of errands this afternoon, I'll have to catch up in a bit. Anxious to see who's on the stand today!

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:56 pm

This Dr. Balko is giving us a very good testimony...Quite possibly enough to give reasonable doubt when taken with the other reasonable doubt leaning testimony...Piper I hope you can attend the trial tomorrow...
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:59 pm

I am able to keep up with the live blog today and I am quite happy with the testimony of Dr. Balko. I agree with you, Estee, his testimony does seem to give reasonable doubt a good chance here.
Sherry
Sherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:35 pm

Expert Uses Pig Brain, Heart To Make Point At Widmer Trial

POSTED: 4:20 pm EST February 10, 2011
UPDATED: 5:28 pm EST February 10, 2011

LEBANON -- It was show and tell time at the third Ryan Widmer murder trial on Thursday.

Widmer is accused of drowning his wife Sarah in a bathtub at the couple’s home in 2008.

Facing jurors, Dr. Michael Balko cut open a pig's brain and heart to drive his point home.

“I have issues with the way the brain and heart was examined,” he said

Balko said that when Sarah’s brain was examined, it wasn't in the state it should have been. He said Warren County Coroner Dr. Russell Uptegrove should have waited two weeks for the brain to solidify somewhat, but instead examined it only a day or two after Sarah died.

Read more:
http://www.wlwt.com/news/26823813/detail.html
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:42 pm

I just finished reading the testimony through Travis' blog and some of the news articles...I agree with both of you. I hated not being able to follow today because I really feel like I'm there. It's the first day I've missed following in all 3 trials. What's a vacation day without errands? My plan is to be there tomorrow.........

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:07 pm

Widmer Defense Expert Challenges Coroner: Widmer defense expert witness says the coroner didn't do a complete job during the autopsy of Sarah Widmer

February 10, 2011

LEBANON - The Warren County coroner skipped steps when he examined the heart and brain of drowning victim Sarah Widmer, an expert witness testified Thursday afternoon.

Dr. Michael Balko, a medical examiner in Kentucky and a deputy coroner in Ohio, testified for the defense in the 14th day in the trial of Ryan Widmer, who is accused of murder in the death of his wife, Sarah, 24.

Balko was the only witness Thursday.

Balko's testimony supported defense lawyers' arguments that Sarah Widmer could have suffered from an undiagnosed seizure or other problem that rendered her unconscious while she was bathing, causing her to drown.

He also agreed with another defense witness, Dr. David Smile, who said injuries on Sarah Widmer's neck appear to have been caused by life-saving efforts, which included manipulation of her neck.

Read more:
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110210/NEWS010702/102110315/Widmer-witness-faults-coroner?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by mel Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:34 pm

I cannot wait to read what you have to tell us Piper!!!! I just don't see how a jury can convict him... There is reasonable doubt all over this case!!!! I am so happy that you are going to be there when Melissa testifies!!!! We want many details Piper!!! Take notes! LOL Very Happy

mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Going back over this case I found this video and I must say that it looked like an innocent man hearing the word, Guilty. Sure, Ryan says he would not harm his wife and by Peter Hyatt's learned estimation of statement analysis that must mean he is guilty, but that's one thing I don't agree with Hyatt on. In the video, Ryan willingly puts his hands behind his back to be handcuffed and I about lost it seeing that.

http://www.wlwt.com/video/19082216/detail.html

I pray there is no repeat of the same verdict. The State just does not have anything on Ryan Widmer beyond reasonable doubt.
Sherry
Sherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:42 am

Thanks Sherry...that certainly was gut wrenching...Looked and sounded innocent is right..Hope Piper has a good day in court today...Now to get to the trial...I go to http://wlwt.com/
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks, Estee, for the link!
Sherry
Sherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:56 am

Dr. Phillips certainly sounds like an accomplished person and I don't blame him for tooting his own horn...Now let's get to the nitty gritty and present his reasons/cause and effect of Sarah's 'injuries'...
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by pi-girl Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:03 am

Okay, so you guys have me hooked! I usually come on here after the fact because I hate the suspense, but I have clicked on the link and can't get away....

Thank you, Estee for the link!
pi-girl
pi-girl

Mood : Shifty

http://pauseforthechildren.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:09 am

We've seen several pix of the gallery...I wonder which one Piper is in and what she is wearing??
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:28 am

All right all ready...we get the picture but can he (Dr. Phillips) debunk the 'Ryan did it theory" ????
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by pi-girl Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:40 am

If Arnold would stop objecting, they might actually get to the point!
pi-girl
pi-girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:50 am

Wow...this is interesting...I agree if strangled she would have injuries to feet and hands from flailing and hitting sides of tub and faucet fixture....
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:58 am

I'd like to see him testify at the Drew Peterson trial...Maybe that would bring a GUILTY verdict in the Kathleen Salvio case....
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:09 pm

Estee wrote:I'd like to see him testify at the Drew Peterson trial...Maybe that would bring a GUILTY verdict in the Kathleen Salvio case....

Oh yeah! That would be nice!

Now I'm hearing that Ryan used a sleeper hold on Sarah which accounts for why she couldn't fight back. Is the prosecution making this up as they go along??? Geesh! Was that mentioned in the first trial? I understand it was not!
Sherry
Sherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:12 pm

Well now that the defense is done for now...Prosecution can cross examine after lunch...They should have a hard time shaking this testimony...Sure sounded credible and convincing to me, so far...The jury has a lot to ponder over lunch...just don't discuss it !!! Think about it (as Tony Soprano would say).....
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:43 pm

I wonder if Sarah's mom and brother are following Travis' blog at home...I know if it were my daughter there is no way I could stand to hear this testimony in person...It would be too devastating and there's no way I could keep from blurting something out...
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by pi-girl Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:05 pm

Good question, Estee. It would be way too hard to keep hearing it all over and over again. I'm not sure I would be able to even read what people were saying.
pi-girl
pi-girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:32 pm

OK now...the defense rests....the prosecution has no rebuttal witness...court dismissed til Monday when we will hear closing arguments....Travis says a good guess for the jury to start deliberations around noon on Monday...We will see...Can't wait to hear Piper's take on today's happenings...
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Well, a vacation day spent in bed! I woke up with a raging fever and blistering sore throat........I am so upset I wasn't able to go to court. I feel like I've been run over by a truck. Just now up and moving. Blah!

I just finished reading all the excitement I missed today! Wow, another day of compelling testimony.

In regards to Sarah's mom, I don't think I'd be able to watch or read. Especially all of the graphic testimony and autopsy photos. It's a horrific situation for all of them. Ryan's mother hasn't attended at all. She was arrested for DUI not long ago and it was front page news. I presume that's why all the questions about Jill's drinking kept coming from the prosecution, just a guess. Looking forward to closing statements on Monday...........then waiting for Travis to give us the "buzz" when the jurors come back with a verdict.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Aw, Piper, take care! hug
Sherry
Sherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:50 pm

Looks like we need to say a few prayers for Piper as well as Ava...Get some rest Piper or I'll tell Mama on you !!!! No
Estee
Estee

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:08 pm

Get well, Piper!
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life
Mood : Musical

Back to top Go down

Post by pi-girl Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Sorry that you're not feeling well, Piper! Get well!!
pi-girl
pi-girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:29 pm

You guys are so sweet! I never have good vacation days unless I actually leave town for a week, something always happens. I know that's telling me I need to win the lottery, quit work and travel.......... crystal ball
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:31 pm

Widmer Defense Calls Last Witness; To Rest Case Monday
Closing Arguments Likely Monday

POSTED: 7:45 am EST February 11, 2011
UPDATED: 3:28 pm EST February 11, 2011

LEBANON -- The defense has essentially rested its case in the third Ryan Widmer trial.

Attorneys said that they have called their last witness and will officially rest the case Monday after evidence is entered into the record Friday.

Earlier, another woman who got involved in the Widmer case after seeing a report on his first trial took the witness stand.

Widmer is accused of drowning his wife, Sarah, in the bathtub at the couple's home in 2008.

Melissa Waller uploaded a video to YouTube that sets to music a eulogy written by Widmer for his wife. The video was uploaded a few weeks after the Sept. 18, 2009 airing of the NBC Dateline show.

Waller has also posted some comments in stories and online posts about the case. In court, she said she identified with the case because her sister-in-law died unexpectedly shortly after she got married.

Read more:

http://www.wlwt.com/ryan-widmer-retrial/26831303/detail.html
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:47 pm

Sherry wrote:Going back over this case I found this video and I must say that it looked like an innocent man hearing the word, Guilty. Sure, Ryan says he would not harm his wife and by Peter Hyatt's learned estimation of statement analysis that must mean he is guilty, but that's one thing I don't agree with Hyatt on. In the video, Ryan willingly puts his hands behind his back to be handcuffed and I about lost it seeing that.

http://www.wlwt.com/video/19082216/detail.html

I pray there is no repeat of the same verdict. The State just does not have anything on Ryan Widmer beyond reasonable doubt.

Sherry, thanks for postiing this. It is heartbreaking to watch.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next