Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kiana O’Neil’s Stepfather Who Shot Her May Be Shielded By ‘Make My Day’ Law

3 posters

Go down

Kiana O’Neil’s Stepfather Who Shot Her May Be Shielded By ‘Make My Day’ Law                  Empty Kiana O’Neil’s Stepfather Who Shot Her May Be Shielded By ‘Make My Day’ Law

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Kiana O’Neil’s Stepfather Who Shot Her May Be Shielded By ‘Make My Day’ Law

Posted December 24, 2013

Kiana O’Neil’s Stepfather Who Shot Her May Be Shielded By ‘Make My Day’ Law                  Kiana-ONeil-Shot-Make-My-Day-665x385

Kiana O’Neil, the 14-year-old girl shot dead by her stepfather as she climbed in a basement window of her family’s Colorado Springs home early Monday morning, was remembered as “an amazing friend” and “one of the nicest, coolest and funniest people I know” on a Facebook page set up in her memory.

Meanwhile, police continued trying to sort out why her 29-year-old stepfather, an active-duty, highly decorated Army officer and Iraq War veteran, fired at her and killed her. The young girl, a freshman student at Vista Ridge High School, was hit in the stomach and chest, the Alamosa Valley Courier reported.

Army 2nd Lieutenant Daniel Meade called 911 to report that he shot a burglar at his home in the northeastern section of Colorado Springs, but then told the 911 operator that the person he had shot was in fact his stepdaughter, Kiana.

The girl was still alive when police arrived, but passed away shortly after reaching a nearby hospital.

According to information obtained by the Daily Mail newspaper from officials at Fort Carson, the Army base where Meade is stationed, the 10-year veteran has led a distinguished military career, having been awarded the Bronze Star, National Defense Service Medal, and Global War of Terrorism Service Medal.

Read more:

http://www.inquisitr.com/1073307/kiana-oneils-stepfather-who-shot-her-may-be-shielded-by-make-my-day-law/#xRwl8AOekHiszwdT.99
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Kiana O’Neil’s Stepfather Who Shot Her May Be Shielded By ‘Make My Day’ Law                  Empty Re: Kiana O’Neil’s Stepfather Who Shot Her May Be Shielded By ‘Make My Day’ Law

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:25 pm

Audio: Colorado Springs teen reportedly shot climbing through basement window (Video)

By Andrea Sinclair

Updated: December 24, 2013 at 4:22 pm
Published: December 24, 2013 | 4:20 pm

Kiana O’Neil’s Stepfather Who Shot Her May Be Shielded By ‘Make My Day’ Law                  R620-ee5db7b13505abb48c28a754f44095ae

A 14-year-old girl was reportedly entering her home through a basement window when she was mistaken for a burglar and shot by her stepfather, according to police dispatch call archives.

The girl, whose name has not been released by authorities, later died at a Colorado Springs hospital.

Police received the burglary call at 5:57 a.m., according to a statement from police spokesman Larry Herbert.

"Burglary in progress, 4037 Ascendant Drive, homeowner saying that they shot the suspect, unknown where the suspect was,” the dispatcher reported to police officers en route.

A minute later, the dispatcher provided additional information.

“Now reporting party is saying that may have been their daughter coming through the window and they don’t know if she was shot,” the dispatcher said.

Read more:

http://gazette.com/audio-colorado-springs-teen-reportedly-shot-climbing-through-basement-window/article/1511545
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Kiana O’Neil’s Stepfather Who Shot Her May Be Shielded By ‘Make My Day’ Law                  Empty Re: Kiana O’Neil’s Stepfather Who Shot Her May Be Shielded By ‘Make My Day’ Law

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Kiana O’Neil’s Stepfather Who Shot Her May Be Shielded By ‘Make My Day’ Law                  R620-561262e84cac8a88ac80e887fcde8330

Outside the home where a 14-year-old girl was mistakenly shot by her stepfather Monday at their home in northeast Colorado Springs, according to police. (Andrea Sinclair/ The Gazette)

Photo Gallery:

http://gazette.com/gallery/articleid/1511545/1/pictures/386885#wH1wAhx4dGl3AiOU.99
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:48 pm

Kiana O'Neil, 14, mistaken for burglar, shot by stepdad in Colorado Springs

This story was published:  22 hours ago
December 25, 2013 7:51AM

Kiana O’Neil’s Stepfather Who Shot Her May Be Shielded By ‘Make My Day’ Law                  591406-kiana-039-neil

Kiana O'Neil who was shot dead by her stepfather who may have thought she was a burglar has been remembered as a bright personality with an infectious smile. Source: Supplied

A 14-YEAR-OLD girl was shot dead by her stepfather after he reportedly mistook her for a burglar.

The incident happened in Colorado Springs, Colorado just before 6am on Monday (10pm AEDT).

According to a recording of a police dispatch, Kiana may have been trying to sneak into the house through a basement window after a night out when she was shot in the stomach and chest.

A 911 caller, presumably Kiana's stepfather, informed the operator that a burglar had been shot. But then slightly more than a minute later the operator reports the news that the victim wasn't an intruder.

~Snipped~

Police went door-to-door to ensure everyone was ok.

"I heard three bangs," Jani Harvey, who lives across the street, told KRDO. "I assumed it was someone hitting on a car or a garage door or something like that."

"I thought it was strange, and I thought it was an odd hour for it to be going on. It's kind of a quiet neighborhood," she said.

Read more:

http://www.news.com.au/world/girl-14-mistaken-for-burglar-shot-by-dad-in-colorado-springs/story-fndir2ev-1226789582434
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Distraught Bronze Star-winning stepdad who shot girl dead 'as she tried to sneak into the house' could face no charges under 'Make My Day' law  

2nd Lt Daniel Meade, 29, has been identified as the stepfather who shot his daughter in Colorado Springs Monday

. Kiana O'Neil, 14, was entering the home when her stepfather shot her and it's unclear as to whether he mistook her for a burglar
. Police say the girl was struck in the chest and stomach
Colorado residents are allowed to own guns and fire at intruders as part of the 'Make My Day' law instated in 1985
. It has yet to be decided whether or not charges will be filed against Mr Meade
. Officer served in Iraq and earned a Bronze Star and a dozen other awards in the course of 10 years  

By Alexandra Klausner and Snejana Farberov

PUBLISHED: 09:23 EST, 24 December 2013 | UPDATED: 17:15 EST, 24 December 2013
Kiana O’Neil’s Stepfather Who Shot Her May Be Shielded By ‘Make My Day’ Law                  Article-2528912-1A47C18B00000578-536_634x615
Happy family: Mr Meade, pictured here on a family outing with his wife, Monica, Kiana (far right), and her two younger siblings

Police spokesman Larry Herbert said the girl's stepfather fired the shot, but said it was unclear if he had mistaken the teen for a burglar.

Mr Meade, 29, is listed as an active-duty health service officer assigned to 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division at Fort Carson.

Over the course of his decade-long military career, Meade has racked up more than a dozen various awards and commendations, including a Bronze Star, National Defense Service Medal and Global War of Terrorism Service Medal.

According to his military record, Mr Meade is also an Iraq War veteran.

~Snipped~

'I heard three bangs,' neighbor Jani Harvey told the station KTRK. 'They weren't all right together. It was like bang, bang, bang.'

Police say Kiana was struck in the stomach and chest, and was taken to a local hospital in critical condition.

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2528912/Pictured-Girl-14-shot-dead-stepfather-mistaken-burglar-trying-sneak-house.html#ixzz2oW4Ddtry
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:30 am

EXCLUSIVE - Two military families destroyed before Christmas: Father and Army Ranger sent heartwarming Christmas message to daughter, 14, just hours before military officer stepfather shot her dead by mistake

By Snejana Farberovand Michael Zennie

PUBLISHED: 22:39 EST, 24 December 2013 | UPDATED: 01:43 EST, 25 December 2013
Kiana O’Neil’s Stepfather Who Shot Her May Be Shielded By ‘Make My Day’ Law                  Article-2529102-1A480DDC00000578-926_634x549
Tragic: Gary O'Neil's daughter Kiana was living with her mother and stepfather in Colorado Springs, Colorado, when she was shot by mistake and killed

Kiana O'Neil's biological father Gary O'Neil, who is an elite Army Ranger, wrote a touching note on a Facebook picture of herself that she posted just hours before she was killed Monday morning.

'Gorgeous,' he commented. Hours after Kiana's death, he changed his Facebook profile picture to her name written in sand.

'It is with great sadness that I say we have a new angel watching over us!! She was a wonderful young girl, our niece, and will be missed dearly!! Please take a moment to say a prayer for her family as they try to come to terms with their loss,' Kiana's aunt Sis O'Neil wrote on Facebook.

Kiana O’Neil’s Stepfather Who Shot Her May Be Shielded By ‘Make My Day’ Law                  Article-2528912-1A4678F100000578-733_306x423
Named: 2nd Lt Daniel Meade, pictured with his wife, Monica Meade, has been identified as the man who allegedly shot his 14-year-old stepdaughter.

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2529102/Death-Kiana-ONeil-shot-stepfather-destroys-two-military-families.html#ixzz2oYW2dacA
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:45 am

Local teen shooting victim remembered (Video)

Kiana O'Neil, 14, victim of fatal shooting by stepfather Daniel Meade, 29

Scott Harrison

POSTED: 05:24 PM MST Dec 24, 2013 UPDATED: 06:11 PM MST Dec 24, 2013

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Family and friends spent Christmas Eve sharing memories of the high school freshman apparently mistaken for a burglar and shot to death by her stepfather on Monday.

Kiana O'Neil, 14, attended Vista Ridge High School in District 49. Classmates gathered on Tuesday at her home on Ascendant Drive on the city's northeast side to remember her.

A KRDO NewsChannel 13 crew reached out to family and friends at the home but they declined to comment.

~Snipped~

Colorado Springs police won't release further details about the shooting until their investigation is finished and the district attorney's office decides whether charges against the stepfather are warranted.

A District 49 spokeswoman said a decision about whether to provide grief counseling at the school will be made after students return from their holiday break on Jan. 6.

Read more:

http://www.krdo.com/news/local-teen-shooting-victim-remembered/-/417220/23642938/-/12hj2aaz/-/index.html
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:50 am

RIP Kiana O'neil

https://www.facebook.com/pages/RIP-Kiana-Oneil/185939468280122
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:56 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZahIg66BZA
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:19 am

Kiana Rae O’Neil, 14

Posted: Tuesday, Dec 24th, 2013

Alamosa resident Kiana Rae O’Neil, 14, passed away on December 23, 2013. Arrangements are pending with Romero Funeral Home of Alamosa.

http://www.alamosanews.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&story_id=32677&page=73
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by ishi Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:54 pm

This story is just so sad. What a tremendous loss for her parents and family. Her stepfather must be devastated.
ishi
ishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:49 pm

New details on teen fatally shot by stepfather

1 hour 12 minutes ago by Tony Spehar

~Snipped~

On Facebook a memorial page for O'Neil has been established where family, friends and even strangers have offered condolences and some memories of her.

"It is so nice to see that so many people cared about you," her aunt posted. "I will always love you and forever miss you until we meet again."

In media around the world Kiana's death has stirred debate over gun rights and Colorado's "make my day" law, on the memorial page her mother asked that her daughter's tragic death not be a part of a heated political issue.

"We will not let our daughter's passing turn into a political debate," her mother wrote. "We are united in love and respect for one another at this time."

Read more:

http://www.koaa.com/news/new-details-on-teen-fatally-shot-by-stepfather/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:15 pm

No Charges Against Stepdad Who Killed Stepdaughter

Updated: Thu 5:14 AM, Jun 19, 2014

There will be no charges against a stepfather who shot and killed his stepdaughter.

The decision came from a grand jury.

Read more:  http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/No-Charges-Against-Step-263744101.html

-----

Moving thread from Developing Stories to Closed.

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down