Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sierra Lamar -- Missing 3/16/12

+35
JustWinnie
ellejay
Hinky's Mimi
nanshin
CA Lady
ishi
angiefly2
Roxanne14
ExerSarah
SweetT
Ellie Tza
sitemama
Soprano1
Orgona
Lash
Freckles
snowbird
Alessandra_Deux
hailey35
Justice4all
Stolat
Tbrownsanjo
Chester_from_THM
Joju
Chickenbutt
Typo Positive
senseigurl
kimi_SFC
Beaner
justanopinion
Julie
Ann - Tx
nanaof4
Honeysage
Tamta
39 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Sierra Lamar -- Missing 3/16/12 - Page 10 Empty Re: Sierra Lamar -- Missing 3/16/12

Post by Tamta Tue May 22, 2012 6:38 pm

nanshin wrote:
Stolat wrote:
Ellie Tza wrote:
CA Lady wrote:
Earlier in the PC she said:

Off of her property in the bag, we found DNA from Antolin
Garcia-Torres. It was that DNA that was placed into the
system that -- that revealed the identity. We received those
lab results on March 28th.
This is a matter of curiosity on my part: does anyone know if it is standard for DNA test results to take 10 days or more? If they got the DNA sample from her purse, which was recovered, what, March 18 or so? then she could've still been alive, but it took 10 extra days to determine that identity of the owner of the DNA? That's fairly chilling. Unless, of course, they already had evidence in their possession to indicate she was already dead.

This is bad, but I don't really think that if someone is going to take a girl for nefarious purposes, that they will keep her alive very long. Likely (as is the case with most of these sexual assaults) the victim is killed very shortly after the goal has been reached. If Sierra is no longer with us I am hoping that is the case and that her torture wasn't prolonged.
Ellie, I think it does take some time. I don't have anything concrete, but from the cases we have seen this seems normal. Unfortunately it seems le can't put a rush on it. I am getting concerned now reports on HLN have said garcia is not talking. One of Vinnie's guests suggested putting the death penalty on the table and maybe he will cooperate. I hope this happens so the family can bury their daughter. Not knowing must be unbearable. He is also connected to a 2009 assault using a tazer. Experts usually say a sexual predator's crimes escalate to murder. Another blog still has posters suggesting mom and boyfriend are involved. No I can't even fathom what this family is going through. My prayers are with the LaMar family.

An innocent person waives the 5th?

Anna innocent person issues an unreliable denial:

"I never had contact with that girl", instead of "no mom, I did not do it. I did not take that girl and I did not kill her."

He doesn't appear guiltless to me at the moment.
Tamta
Tamta

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Sierra Lamar -- Missing 3/16/12 - Page 10 Empty Re: Sierra Lamar -- Missing 3/16/12

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue May 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Tamta wrote:
kimi_SFC wrote:Colored quotes from same article linked below...

"Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith said DNA and other evidence leads her investigators to believe missing teen Sierra LaMar is dead, and that a 21-year-old Morgan Hill man is her killer."

Have we been told what information Sheriff Laurie Smith has that allows her to make the definitive statement that Sierra LaMar is no longer with us? I understand that she has stated there is sufficient evidence for probable cause for murder. However, there is a quantum leap that has been made and the media has jumped all over it with the headline (I can't even bear to copy and paste it).
I feel horribly for her family and those who love Sierra for what they are going through right now. I am tormented at the mere thought of Sierra's pain and suffering. Maybe I'm grasping at straws here, but her loved ones deserve the respect of facts not factoids from LE when dealing with the declaration of the passing away of a CHILD!

Another poster upthread asked about how LE knew the perp was at Safeway. This might shed some light....
"He may have believed
he was under surveillance," Smith said. "We talked to him multiple times.''
In fact, Laura Torres, Garcia-Torres' mother, confirmed that she and her son were aware that they were being watched starting about two months ago. She said GPS devices were found under both of their cars."

More@link
http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_20680103/new-details-expected-emerge-sierra-lamar-disappearance?source

But why apprehend them there?

Because the media was called in and they did not want to do it at his home?

I think they wanted to take him by surprise and arrest him in a public place, I think is less risky, no one knows what he would have done if they would have gone to his house.
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetT Tue May 22, 2012 6:42 pm

I wish they would have jailed this guy 2 months ago..and put the screws to him, maybe just maybe Sierra would be alive right now. Although I have to say, I am still hoping like her mother that since there is no body that there is some hope she is alive. Maybe she is still locked up somewhere and has managed to be able to sustain herself somehow..we just don't know and as a parent this alone would make it very hard to sleep at night.
SweetT
SweetT

Mood : Vacation

Back to top Go down

Post by nanshin Tue May 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Alessandra_Deux wrote:
Tamta wrote:

"Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith said DNA and other evidence leads her investigators to believe missing teen Sierra LaMar is dead, and that a 21-year-old Morgan Hill man is her killer."

Have we been told what information Sheriff Laurie Smith has that allows her to make the definitive statement that Sierra LaMar is no longer with us? I understand that she has stated there is sufficient evidence for probable cause for murder. However, there is a quantum leap that has been made and the media has jumped all over it with the headline (I can't even bear to copy and paste it).
I feel horribly for her family and those who love Sierra for what they are going through right now. I am tormented at the mere thought of Sierra's pain and suffering. Maybe I'm grasping at straws here, but her loved ones deserve the respect of facts not factoids from LE when dealing with the declaration of the passing away of a CHILD!

Another poster upthread asked about how LE knew the perp was at Safeway. This might shed some light....
"He may have believed
In fact, Laura Torres, Garcia-Torres' mother, confirmed that she and her son were aware that they were being watched starting about two months ago. She said GPS devices were found under both of their cars."

More@link
http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_20680103/new-details-expected-emerge-sierra-lamar-disappearance?source

I think they wanted to take him by surprise and arrest him in a public place, I think is less risky, no one knows what he would have done if they would have gone to his house.
Very true, Allessandra. LE could have been concerned with a standoff / hostage situation The wife being pregnant and small child could be at risk.
nanshin
nanshin

Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamta Tue May 22, 2012 6:48 pm

nanshin wrote:
Alessandra_Deux wrote:
Tamta wrote:

"He may have believed

More@link

Very true, Allessandra. LE could have been concerned with a standoff / hostage situation The wife being pregnant and small child could be at risk.

Good point.
I had thought it may have been based on the small child.
Tamta
Tamta

Back to top Go down

Post by nanshin Tue May 22, 2012 6:51 pm

SweetT wrote:I wish they would have jailed this guy 2 months ago..and put the screws to him, maybe just maybe Sierra would be alive right now. Although I have to say, I am still hoping like her mother that since there is no body that there is some hope she is alive. Maybe she is still locked up somewhere and has managed to be able to sustain herself somehow..we just don't know and as a parent this alone would make it very hard to sleep at night.
I hear you Sweet T. But, I think LE needs to gather all the evidence possible in order to get a conviction. As we know, nowadays even if a prosecutor has his/her ducks in a row that doesn't always convince a jury. But, I do agree mom is probably holding out all hope. I can imagine the what ifs are going through their minds. What if she is hidden somewhere, what if, etc.
nanshin
nanshin

Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Orgona Tue May 22, 2012 6:52 pm

"He may have believed

More@link

BBM
Kimi, I'm sure the family was told much more than we were told. That's why they were there.
I think the reason the Lamar family were summoned to the station as opposed to visiting each of them in their home, was that LE was able to show them there some/more evidence. I don't think LE could have take those documents to their home.
Apart from that, LE had surveillance on the Torres family 24/7 for nearly 2 months, so if Sierra would have been alive, Torres would have led the police to her while he was delivering food and drink to Sierra. But he didn't...
I always suspected the reason LE was announcing the places of the planned searches with dates beforehand was to see if their suspect gets nervous and goes to the place he left Sierra behind to see if she is still hidden.
Gnite

Last edited by Orgona on Tue May 22, 2012 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Orgona
Orgona

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeysage Tue May 22, 2012 6:57 pm

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Sierra-LaMar-Timeline-152707485.html
Sierra LaMar Timeline
now includes the perp info...
Honeysage
Honeysage

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetT Tue May 22, 2012 6:57 pm

ORGONA: right, he would have delivered food and drink but didnt cause he knew he was being watched. Which is not good, but if he has her stashed away like in perhaps an old abandon cabin or home or what not and maybe there was some water or food there she could possibly be still surviving. I know the odds are against her but that man needs to spill the beans and quit putting her parents through this nightmare. 2 months is a long time.

Forgot to add, it is not good either that the vehicle was found about a week later, so perhaps she at least survived that long... I seriously wonder if that guy hasn't done this before and this time he just got caught.

Last edited by SweetT on Tue May 22, 2012 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
SweetT
SweetT

Back to top Go down

Post by kimi_SFC Tue May 22, 2012 6:58 pm

SweetT wrote:I wish they would have jailed this guy 2 months ago..and put the screws to him, maybe just maybe Sierra would be alive right now. Although I have to say, I am still hoping like her mother that since there is no body that there is some hope she is alive. Maybe she is still locked up somewhere and has managed to be able to sustain herself somehow..we just don't know and as a parent this alone would make it very hard to sleep at night.

Could not have said it any better SweetT...
Sad
My heart is broken for Sierra....
kimi_SFC
kimi_SFC

Mood : Praying

http://twitter.com/latinasiangyrl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lash Tue May 22, 2012 7:05 pm

This 2009 stun gun incident is reminding me of the stun gun/electronic device attempted abduction in San Jose. Santa Clara LE has ruled out a connection. I think it is interesting all the features fit. The attempt happened on Friday the 23rd, before LE began surveillance on Torres that following Wednesday the 28th. Too much of a coincidence, even up to the sweatshirt from the 2009 sketch. Really odd.

Snip- Police said the suspect's vehicle was described as a red, compact passenger car, possibly with tinted windows. The suspect is described only as a Hispanic man who was wearing a hooded sweatshirt.

http://gilroy.patch.com/articles/san-jose-attempted-kidnapping-linked-to-lamar-disappearance

Last edited by Lash on Tue May 22, 2012 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lash
Lash

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue May 22, 2012 7:07 pm

Orgona wrote:
clipped-

BBM
Kimi, I'm sure the family was told much more than we were told. That's why they were there.
I think the reason the Lamar family were summoned to the station as opposed to visiting each of them in their home, was that LE was able to show them there some/more evidence. I don't think LE could have take those documents to their home.
Apart from that, LE had surveillance on the Torres family 24/7 for nearly 2 months, so if Sierra would have been alive, Torres would have led the police to her while he was delivering food and drink to Sierra. But he didn't...
I always suspected the reason LE was announcing the places of the planned searches with dates beforehand was to see if their suspect gets nervous and goes to the place he left Sierra behind to see if she is still hidden.
Gnite
I recall you stating this.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamta Tue May 22, 2012 7:09 pm

I feel sad.

It is odd.

Its the 'knowledge' of the more physical details of what's considered to be some of Sierras last moments on Earth
That Are equally heartbreaking, jarring, yet simultaneously restores her to the human realm.

I'm not sure if that makes sense or not.
Tamta
Tamta

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetT Tue May 22, 2012 7:12 pm

Lash wrote:This 2009 stun gun incident is reminding me of the stun gun/electronic device attempted abduction in San Jose. Santa Clara LE has ruled out a connection. I think it is interesting all the features fit. The attempt happened on Friday the 23rd, before LE began surveillance on Torres that following Wednesday the 28th. Too much of a coincidence, even up to the sweatshirt from the 2009 sketch. Really odd.

Snip- Police said the suspect's vehicle was described as a red, compact passenger car, possibly with tinted windows. The suspect is described only as a Hispanic man who was wearing a hooded sweatshirt.

http://gilroy.patch.com/articles/san-jose-attempted-kidnapping-linked-to-lamar-disappearance

I recall us discussing this incident when it occurred and how a stun gun could have been used on Sierra also. There are too many coincidences in this, unless they have proof that the perp who is in custody was actually at work at the time this occurred. Otherwise, I'd say BINGO another victim that got lucky and got away.
SweetT
SweetT

Back to top Go down

Post by Soprano1 Tue May 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Orgona wrote:

"He may have believed

More@link

BBM
Gnite

Exactly. One of the most important things to remember when opining on cases like this is, that LE will not tell all they know. If they did, they'd lose the suspects altogether. The "playing dumb" that LE has done here, and that they may also be doing in the Isabel Celis case, obviously works, and it's clear why. Now, they'll hopefully offer him a false plea bargain to say where she is, and then let him fry, if he is found guilty.
Soprano1
Soprano1

http://msglenn-welcometomysoapbox.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetT Tue May 22, 2012 7:22 pm

Soprano: I don't know if they can legally offer him a false plea bargain as that may be considered entrapment, but they can start adding some serious charges of these 2009 women and then perhaps bring in some cold cases and find him connected etc..and once these charges start adding up and up and up he may decide to talk in exchange for some lesser charges etc...cause LE can make those charges add up to some good jail time no doubt.
SweetT
SweetT

Back to top Go down

Post by Lash Tue May 22, 2012 7:28 pm

I really don't like seeing pictures of Sierra and Torres side by side. It makes me sick.
Lash
Lash

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetT Tue May 22, 2012 7:35 pm

Lash wrote:I really don't like seeing pictures of Sierra and Torres side by side. It makes me sick.

Guess I havent seen that.
SweetT
SweetT

Back to top Go down

Post by Soprano1 Tue May 22, 2012 7:36 pm

SweetT wrote:Soprano: I don't know if they can legally offer him a false plea bargain as that may be considered entrapment, but they can start adding some serious charges of these 2009 women and then perhaps bring in some cold cases and find him connected etc..and once these charges start adding up and up and up he may decide to talk in exchange for some lesser charges etc...cause LE can make those charges add up to some good jail time no doubt.
Yeah, good point. Stupid rights and all. Just kidding...I'm just mad. I wanted her to be found alive so badly! What a horrid person. I feel terrible for his mama, his wife, and his kids. They must be privately questioning everything they know of him right now. I know his mom says she supports him, but she actually asked her son if he had anything to do with Sierra. Something in her mind told her to ask him that back when she did, and now, she's probably replaying everything she observed for weeks. Same with his poor wife; pregnant, parenting a toddler, and finding out that your husband probably killed a girl (and that it probably had something to do with sexual assault, as it seems he's possibly connected to other sexual assaults on women). Wow. Finding out that your husband is cheating is bad (Uh-huh. Been there.). Finding out that he's cheating LIKE THIS - I could just CRY for her! More than just Sierra's family will never be whole again because of this subhuman scum.
Soprano1
Soprano1

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetT Tue May 22, 2012 7:54 pm

I agree Soprano1 such a sad time for everyone.
SweetT
SweetT

Back to top Go down

Post by nanaof4 Tue May 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Freckles wrote:
Stolat wrote:So it would seem that when the cops were asking for tips on the red jetta (that they already had in their possession) they also already suspected Torres - they just needed someone else to call in and say "yeah, we saw Torres driving that car during that time".

And I'm guessing that their theory is that he reported hiw own car stolen to create an alibi and that might also explain why the car was "returned" back to his same neighborhood only a street away. We were all wondering who steals a vehicle and then puts it back essentially where it belongs... I guess the answer is: it's owner.

And they say Torres's DNA is on her clothes found in her Juicy bag (which I've seen erroneously tagged as a backpack in some reports).

This is all very sad. Maybe Marlene was told this very early on since police now say the Jetta was always in their possession for some time. Maybe that's why she kept referring to Sierra in the past tense - she knew. Now we wait for the details and the motive. I'm still curious if this had anytyhing to do with her online presence which gained unwanted attention.

Oh, wow! Is this the same car reported missing (and later found in same vicinity) ??

Why did they wait so long? Did he make comments in person or on his computer to lead investigators to believe a new victim could be in the making?

I would like to clear up any confusion about the stolen vehicle. The information was turned over to a reporter and they check with LE regarding the link to the red VW Jetta and was posted on THM before it was shut down. LE stated there was no connection. The stolen vehicle involved a trailor.

Also, I am just a little uncorfortable with the mistrust of LE now that we know they did not tell all to the public. They did a great job considering how few of these type of cases ever get solved. I wanted all the information myself, but it is not LE's job to satisfy our curiosity. Their job is to preserve evidence and find the person responsible for Sierra's abduction and alleged murder. Providing the media with all information would not have allowed them to capture the suspect or have evidence to try the case. As someone wisely stated earlier, the suspect was hearing everything we heard and could have destroyed evidence and covered his tracks better if he knew what LE knew. I will add, the suspect could very well have read on our blogs, as Val had pointed out on at least one occasion to some of us.

I know it is frustrating and we are saddened by the turn of events, but as Val told us so many times, let's use our critical thinking and try not to think with emotion.

There are many wonderful people on the blogs who care about the missing and abused. I extremely enjoy sharing my interests in these cases with others who feel the same way. I also enjoy the fact finding and how we stick with factual information to back our opinions. That is what made THM and now RC special.

Now my hope is that this man's trial will not be delayed for 3 years and Sierra and her family will get the swift justice they deserve. And I will be front and center with all the former Hinkyites and new RC friends discussing the evidence that comes out at trial. As always JMOO Sierra Lamar -- Missing 3/16/12 - Page 10 541830

nanaof4

Back to top Go down

Post by nanaof4 Tue May 22, 2012 8:15 pm

The link to the crime report for the stolen and recovered vehicle is:
https://www.crimereports.com/

I am not sure how to post a pic of the map.

nanaof4

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeysage Tue May 22, 2012 8:27 pm

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_20684129/suspect-sierra-lamar-case-was-watched-constantly-weeks
Suspect in Sierra LaMar case was watched constantly for weeks before his arrest

His mother, Laura Torres, said the family was well aware he was under surveillance; they found GPS devices under his and her cars.

In May 2009, police reports show that Garcia-Torres was arrested for obstructing justice when Morgan Hill police arrived at his former home looking for a probationer believed to be living there. Garcia-Torres repeatedly cursed at officers and told them to leave. Later, while being held in a town jail cell awaiting booking, he reportedly overflowed the cell's toilet and engraved graffiti into a bench. Police added a charge of vandalism and he was sentenced to 10 days in jail and one year probation.

In June 2010, he was arrested on suspicion of felony battery by sheriff's deputies after allegedly punching a tenant who owed his mother rent, according to the report. Charges were never filed in that case.
Honeysage
Honeysage

Back to top Go down

Post by kimi_SFC Tue May 22, 2012 9:23 pm

Orgona wrote:

"He may have believed

More@link

BBM
Gnite

(underlined by me)
I'm still catching up on all of the articles and threads and didn't know the LaMar family was summoned to the station. I realize that it standard operating procedure for LE. Your points are well taken. Marlene is still holding onto hope in the article, because Sierra hasn't been found yet. As a mother, I can't blame her.

kimi_SFC
kimi_SFC

http://twitter.com/latinasiangyrl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lash Tue May 22, 2012 9:57 pm

Stolat or anyone - could you direct me to this article or video that has this BQ and employment info. I cannot find it. TIA.

Stolat wrote:

Don't get me wrong -- i'm not so convinced just yet and it's possible they have jumped some guns and yes - I do think that Smith is 2 apples shy of a picnic basket - what a stunt to call the media and make the arrest at Safeway where he hasn't even worked for weeks there. How did they even know he'd be there.

And Tamta I meant to respond earlier to your remark about Lucero the sister - claiming to know all these things about her brother and yet has "no idea" what he's been doing the last 2 mos that he has not worked at Safeway -- even though she says she spent time with him at a barbeque last weekend at their moms. I call bullshit on that one. No one sits around a family dinner table and ignores the white elephant in the room. If someone is no longer working at a job and he has a wife and a son and an unborn baby to support -- NO way that sister has not once gossiped to her mom and say 'hey mom, what the heck is he doing now? how is he going to help pay for things?' his MOM would certainly know since they all live with her.

I call bullshit on the sister. I think she dodged that bullet.
Lash
Lash

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeysage Tue May 22, 2012 10:06 pm

Lash wrote:Stolat or anyone - could you direct me to this article or video that has this BQ and employment info. I cannot find it. TIA.

Stolat wrote:

Don't get me wrong -- i'm not so convinced just yet and it's possible they have jumped some guns and yes - I do think that Smith is 2 apples shy of a picnic basket - what a stunt to call the media and make the arrest at Safeway where he hasn't even worked for weeks there. How did they even know he'd be there.

And Tamta I meant to respond earlier to your remark about Lucero the sister - claiming to know all these things about her brother and yet has "no idea" what he's been doing the last 2 mos that he has not worked at Safeway -- even though she says she spent time with him at a barbeque last weekend at their moms. I call bullshit on that one. No one sits around a family dinner table and ignores the white elephant in the room. If someone is no longer working at a job and he has a wife and a son and an unborn baby to support -- NO way that sister has not once gossiped to her mom and say 'hey mom, what the heck is he doing now? how is he going to help pay for things?' his MOM would certainly know since they all live with her.

I call bullshit on the sister. I think she dodged that bullet.

here ya go:
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/video/#!/news/local/Antolin-Garcia-Torres-Family-Speaks-Out/152622415
Honeysage
Honeysage

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue May 22, 2012 11:31 pm

Sheriff: Sierra LaMar's Murder was 'Purely Random'

The man arrested in connection with her kidnapping and death also is suspected of assaulting a woman in Morgan Hill three years ago.

By Jennifer Squires, Genevieve Bookwalter, and Corinne Speckert Email the authors5:45 pm

Sierra Lamar -- Missing 3/16/12 - Page 10 Bfb3f8d9341f577572852e088f715b11

"We have adequate facts, we have strong facts to believe she has been murdered," Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith said.

It's my belief this was purely random," Smith said. "It was an absolute stranger abduction ... We believe this is the worst kind of crime: a stranger abduction of a young girl."

"Public safety was our primary concern," the sheriff said.

"Early on when our deputy first responded to a missing child report he knew this was not a runaway," said Smith, adding the deputy immediately suspected the case was a serious report.

Investigators found DNA evidence off Sierra's bag and linked it to Garcia-Torres. They linked that to Garcia-Torres on March 28—when the sheriff's surveillance began. DNA evidence was also found in his vehicle, the red Volkswagen Jetta detectives were searching for and impounded in April, according to Smith.

Garcia-Torres has a prior misdemeanor conviction for interfering with an officer and a felony assault arrest, which was not prosecuted. Garcia-Torres is not a registered sex offender, Smith noted.

However, investigators suspect Garcia-Torres attacked at least one woman in Morgan Hill in 2009.

"There were three assaults in Morgan Hill about three years ago ... We have linked one of those to our suspect through forensic evidence," Smith said.

Smith said they were physical assaults "that were not completed." One involved a Taser, another occurred at knife-point and during the third, the victim was able to get away by locking herself in her car. She did not say which one had been tied to Garcia-Torres.

http://gilroy.patch.com/articles/sheriff-sierra-lamar-s-murder-was-purely-random

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Lash Tue May 22, 2012 11:32 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with Sierra's family tonight and to all the families that have been forever changed by Sierra's murder. I hope Sierra can be brought home to give her family some sense of peace. God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change.
Lash
Lash

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue May 22, 2012 11:38 pm

Sister of Sierra LaMar suspect says 'it's not him'

By Robert Salonga

mercurynews.com

Posted: 05/22/2012 10:54:30 AM PDT
May 22, 2012 11:35 PM GMTUpdated: 05/22/2012 04:35:22 PM PDT

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_20681237/sister-sierra-lamar-suspect-says-its-not-him

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Ellie Tza Wed May 23, 2012 1:15 am

Alessandra_Deux wrote:Sister of Sierra LaMar suspect says 'it's not him'

By Robert Salonga

mercurynews.com

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_20681237/sister-sierra-lamar-suspect-says-its-not-him

I've seen that posted a couple of times, and I've done a huge double-take both times. It's a misleading title, for sure, making it look like it's Sierra's sister who doesn't believe they have the right guy.
Ellie Tza
Ellie Tza

Mood : Feeling beat up

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetT Wed May 23, 2012 1:32 am

[quote="Ellie Tza"]
Alessandra_Deux wrote:Sister of Sierra LaMar suspect says 'it's not him'

By Robert Salonga

mercurynews.com

I've seen that posted a couple of times, and I've done a huge double-take both times. It's a misleading title, for sure, making it look like it's Sierra's sister who doesn't believe they have the right guy.[/quote

Yea I know right? I have done the same thing several times. It's very confusing. Geez all they would have to say is Suspect's Sister in Sierra Lamar case says "Its not him".
SweetT
SweetT

Back to top Go down

Post by senseigurl Wed May 23, 2012 1:54 am

I think it's extremely plausible that the Willow Glen case is tied to this one.

I remember the Safeway incidents three years ago were in a relatively short time span. I'd say 2-3 months it went on. MHPD left messages on all residential phones warning people about the assaults. The suspect was most likely in "frenzy" mode. They didn't arrest anyone at the time for it.

This lack of action by LE most likely emboldened him. He may have thought, "I wonder what else can I get away with?" The WG incident was only a week after the Sierra disappearance. This was most likely his "frenzy" period. He most likely has psychopathy. Hopefully psych evaluation is performed on the perp.

He has a myspace: http://www.myspace.com/303044008/

Last edited by senseigurl on Wed May 23, 2012 2:18 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : possible misinterpretation of timeline. also found myspace link.)
senseigurl
senseigurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Wed May 23, 2012 2:24 am

SweetT, I really like your avatar! Cool
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life
Mood : Musical

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetT Wed May 23, 2012 3:21 am

Julie wrote:SweetT, I really like your avatar! Cool

Thanks Julie..I like yours too. Suspect
SweetT
SweetT

Back to top Go down

Post by justanopinion Wed May 23, 2012 8:01 am

Been away for a few days and came back to find this news..
It is very distressing. I am glad that they have someone in custody but really hope for the family of Sierra Lamar that they are able to get closure by having Sierra returned to them.
justanopinion
justanopinion

Mood : Angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Stolat Wed May 23, 2012 8:35 am

So LE has linked him to the 2009 Safeway taser assault on a woman....he is positively tied to Sierra and now speculation is that he may also be linked to the Willow Glen incident a weak after Sierra goes missing.

Is it just me or do these events seem eerily correlated closely to the timing of each time Torres's wife is pregnant. She's pregnant now and she was pregnant in 2009.
Stolat
Stolat

Back to top Go down

Post by Stolat Wed May 23, 2012 8:50 am

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_20684129/suspect-sierra-lamar-case-was-watched-constantly-weeks?source=most_viewed

He may have been followed, but he wasn't dumb enough to lead them anywhere:

"His mother, Laura Torres, said the family was well aware he was under surveillance; they found GPS
devices under his and her cars.
When police seized his car on April 7, he told her, "I've never seen that lady. I've never made contact with her."

The average criminal likely will not think to look for GPS devices under their car. Even still, they're small and compact and not easy to find - you could spend all day under a car looking for one. There are devices that will seek the GPS out -- but my point is that someone who has nothing to hide won't go to such trouble to seek out GPS-detectors and use them. But someone who has something to hide will spend all day looking for the GPS tracker.

If he knew where Sierra was, there was no way he was leading police to her. If he knew to look for the GPS device, then this guy was thinking about that way in advance and very sadly I must consider that he ditched her body in the first few days, if not hours, knowing he could never go back to that location again.

If this guy goes to such lengths -- he's not the type to talk in prison. He's already taken the 5th so he's smugly sitting back and telling the police - "prove it". And if he's a serial rapist (which I'm starting to think he could be based on all these reported attacks and similar circumstances) he's done this enough to plan out carefully.

But he's going to have to exlpain how someone's DNA got into his car that he has sworn to his mother he has never made contact with.
Stolat
Stolat

Back to top Go down

Post by Stolat Wed May 23, 2012 8:54 am

Yesterday at the p/c LE would not positively say which of the 3 Safeway assaults in 2009 that Torres was linked to. Now they do:

"Garcia-Torres worked at Safeway on Tennant Avenue in Morgan Hill as recently as 2010 -- the same Safeway where he was arrested at gunpoint Monday night. With evidence in the Sierra case, police have also linked him to a 2009 Taser assault of a woman in her car in that Safeway parking lot."

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_20684129/suspect-sierra-lamar-case-was-watched-constantly-weeks?source=most_viewed
Stolat
Stolat

Back to top Go down

Post by Soprano1 Wed May 23, 2012 8:54 am

Stolat wrote:So LE has linked him to the 2009 Safeway taser assault on a woman....he is positively tied to Sierra and now speculation is that he may also be linked to the Willow Glen incident a weak after Sierra goes missing.

Is it just me or do these events seem eerily correlated closely to the timing of each time Torres's wife is pregnant. She's pregnant now and she was pregnant in 2009.

Hmmm...that is interesting! Had not picked up on that. Do you have an angle on a possible reason for it? People like that can be quite methodical and have "high risk" periods of time in their lives, and it would not surprise me one bit to learn that one or both of his children were conceived during a sexually abusive assault on his wife.

[Just for the record, I have no evidence supporting this idea and am NOT trying to begin a rumor. However, Stolat makes a good point above about the timing of pregnancies vs. the timing of the alleged assaults.]
Soprano1
Soprano1

Back to top Go down

Post by Soprano1 Wed May 23, 2012 8:59 am

Stolat wrote:http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_20684129/suspect-sierra-lamar-case-was-watched-constantly-weeks?source=most_viewed

"His mother, Laura Torres, said the family was well aware he was under surveillance; they found GPS
When police seized his car on April 7, he told her, "I've never seen that lady. I've never made contact with her."

The average criminal likely will not think to look for GPS devices under their car. Even still, they're small and compact and not easy to find - you could spend all day under a car looking for one. There are devices that will seek the GPS out -- but my point is that someone who has nothing to hide won't go to such trouble to seek out GPS-detectors and use them. But someone who has something to hide will spend all day looking for the GPS tracker.

If he knew where Sierra was, there was no way he was leading police to her. If he knew to look for the GPS device, then this guy was thinking about that way in advance and very sadly I must consider that he ditched her body in the first few days, if not hours, knowing he could never go back to that location again.

If this guy goes to such lengths -- he's not the type to talk in prison. He's already taken the 5th so he's smugly sitting back and telling the police - "prove it". And if he's a serial rapist (which I'm starting to think he could be based on all these reported attacks and similar circumstances) he's done this enough to plan out carefully.

But he's going to have to exlpain how someone's DNA got into his car that he has sworn to his mother he has never made contact with.
That darned DNA. Gets 'em every time. :)
Soprano1
Soprano1

Back to top Go down

Post by Stolat Wed May 23, 2012 9:04 am

"Smith did not say today what prompted police to end their surveillance and arrest Garcia-Torres, but on Monday after the arrest she said, "He was arrested today because this is how we thought that the arrest should be done and public safety is our number one concern. We don't want anyone else hurt. We don't want any more little girls taken."

To me she avoided the question. I'm not saying that as a negative, I'm just saying there is yet still more information she is not telling us (again). Logic says there is ALWAYS some decision event that causes you to take action or take no action. For example her boss may have told her he's being pressured for results, or perhaps they had information that said Torres had plans to go somewhere or move. Or perhaps other evidence shows that they think he's far more involved in these other sexual assaults in the area than they are letting onto (obviously because they can later try him for those cases as well and they don't want to spill their beans to him) -- and they have reason to believe he has a pattern of striking and they knew they had to move in based on some of his behaviors or actions that made them feel he was at risk at doing it again.

I call bullshit (again) - you don't wake up one morning and say "this seems like a good day to make an arrest". My point is, there is ALWAYS a reason you do something -- they're just not stating specifically what happened to make that move.

I still think there is something psychologically going on with this guy with his wife being pregnant and when she was pregnant in 2009 - it almost indicates a hostile lashing out that he is redirecting away from her but somehow is rooted in these events.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/sierra-lamar-suspect-watched-weeks-hoping-lead-teen/story?id=16401600
Stolat
Stolat

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Wed May 23, 2012 9:12 am

SweetT wrote:
Julie wrote:SweetT, I really like your avatar! Cool

Thanks Julie..I like yours too. Suspect

Thanks. :)
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life
Mood : Musical

Back to top Go down

Post by Hinky's Mimi Wed May 23, 2012 9:16 am

I think it is a realistic fear of mine to think that anyone who would begin assaulting at least one woman 3 years ago would only be getting to the point of killing one now. I'm very afraid that, if they find Sierra's body they'll find other victims with her. That's why I think that no matter what damning evidence they might have against him, he won't plea for a lighter sentence by telling them where her body is. If he did, imo he'd be facing more than one murder charge. This is only opinion and not based on any info released by LE at this time.
edited to add:
Who's to say for sure that he only began assaulting 3 years ago... and what would he have done IF that one assault that they are able to connect to him had been "successful?" He might have let 3 years go by before assaulting... but, this time, alleged kidnapping and murder, too. Has he been escalating all this time or has he been denying himself for 3 years and not doing anything? That's what I want to know.

Last edited by Hinky's Mimi on Wed May 23, 2012 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Hinky's Mimi
Hinky's Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamta Wed May 23, 2012 9:17 am

Soprano1 wrote:
Stolat wrote:http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_20684129/suspect-sierra-lamar-case-was-watched-constantly-weeks?source=most_viewed

That darned DNA. Gets 'em every time. :)

Re: Sierra's DNA in car
BBM

The bigger breakthrough in the Sierra case came just days ago, when the crime lab came back with a positive match of Sierra's DNA in the red Jetta.

They have had this car a long time, picked up probably around 3/24 and "seized" most likely by way of served Search Warrant 4/7. The fact that conclusive DNA results for Sierra were just reached a couple of days again strikes me as strange. JMO.

Tamta
Tamta

Back to top Go down

Post by Stolat Wed May 23, 2012 9:18 am

Soprano1 wrote:
Stolat wrote:So LE has linked him to the 2009 Safeway taser assault on a woman....he is positively tied to Sierra and now speculation is that he may also be linked to the Willow Glen incident a weak after Sierra goes missing.

Hmmm...that is interesting! Had not picked up on that. Do you have an angle on a possible reason for it? People like that can be quite methodical and have "high risk" periods of time in their lives, and it would not surprise me one bit to learn that one or both of his children were conceived during a sexually abusive assault on his wife.

[Just for the record, I have no evidence supporting this idea and am NOT trying to begin a rumor. However, Stolat makes a good point above about the timing of pregnancies vs. the timing of the alleged assaults.]

Absolutely correct - just speculation obviously. But I'm a patterns person - I just can't help but look for it. I work with statistics and there is always a pattern to the universe for a large majority of the events in life. I would be interested to know what profilers or psychoanalysts have to say about that phenomenom. It is interesting to consider your notion that the pregnancies are result of sexual assaults on his wife and it is possible. I was going for a different angle.

I am thinking the wife is manipulative and knows he is sexually promiscuous and unfaithful. She gets pregnant to anchor him down, thinks she can force him to be more committed. That only angers him, but he internalizes it. So he lashes out. Goes on a hostile sexual rampage to spite her. He's a loser freeloader living with his mom so something tells me he's a mamma's boy and she may have some intimidation over him. So he can't really be a complete ass to his wife at home because he fears his mom would kick him out. I notice that all his sister could say repeatedly on the video is that Torres was "sweet". Sweet doesn't punch a tenant in the nose (see reference below). He must be internalizing -- and when natively hostile people internalize and pretend to be someone else on the outside, the mixture is explosive. So he sexually lashes out and releases that inert anger and hostility. He hates women secretly - he loathes them. He feels they are the root of all his troubles. Conjuecture obviously - but the patterns are out there.

(note: according to this article, he has exhibited hostile behavior -- "In June 2010, he was arrested on suspicion of felony battery by sheriff's deputies after allegedly punching a tenant who owed his mother rent, according to the report. Charges were never filed in that case."

Stolat
Stolat

Back to top Go down

Post by Stolat Wed May 23, 2012 9:22 am

Hinky's Mimi wrote:I think it is a realistic fear of mine that anyone who would begin assaulting women 3 years ago would only be getting to the point of killing one now. I'm very afraid that, if they find Sierra's body they'll find other victims with her. That's why I think that no matter what damning evidence they might have against him, he won't plea for a lighter sentence by telling them where her body is. If he did, imo he'd be facing more than one murder charge. This is only opinion and not based on any info released by LE at this time.

I completely agree with you - he's not going to talk. As soon as he does - he knows they're going to link him to all the other crimes (assuming he's involved). They're going to have to do this one the hard way. They're going to have to find her body.
Stolat
Stolat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamta Wed May 23, 2012 9:26 am

Stolat wrote:Yesterday at the p/c LE would not positively say which of the 3 Safeway assaults in 2009 that Torres was linked to. Now they do:

"Garcia-Torres worked at Safeway on Tennant Avenue in Morgan Hill as recently as 2010 -- the same Safeway where he was arrested at gunpoint Monday night. With evidence in the Sierra case, police have also linked him to a 2009 Taser assault of a woman in her car in that Safeway parking lot."

Some of the Sheriffs words on the assaults:
(taken from the WS transcription offered up thread here, yesterday's post)

A REPORTER: With regards to (indiscernible) 2009, were
they sexual in nature, or were they physical assaults?

SHERIFF SMITH: They were physical assaults that were not
completed, if you will. And I know it's been widely reported
in the media. One was where a taser was involved but the
victim managed to get away. Another one was where the victim
had a knife that had been used against her. And the other one
was he was not able to get into the victim's car. She had
locked it. Those have been reported by the media, and one of
those we have linked through evidence to our suspect.

A REPORTER: Which one? Taser, the knife, or the --

SHERIFF SMITH: You know, I don't remember which one it
was.
Tamta
Tamta

Back to top Go down

Post by Stolat Wed May 23, 2012 9:33 am

Tamta wrote:
Stolat wrote:Yesterday at the p/c LE would not positively say which of the 3 Safeway assaults in 2009 that Torres was linked to. Now they do:

was.

I found that incredible - they've been following this guy for two months - they put on this incredible Dancing With the Stars style of arrest complete with red carpet rolled out for the media -- and she can't remember which of the 3 assaults he was linked to in the 2009 assaults? I mean, those earlier assaults are surely what gives them cause to believe he is serial offender and the supporting argument for why Smith said she wanted him off the streets before any more girls taken. The 2009 link is their basis for thinking this guy will do it again. It would have been a *significant* discovery for them. And she can't remember? I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now.

I think she can't remember because they actually suspect him to be linked to ALL THREE assaults but they don't have as strong of a case in the other two -- but because they suspect him of all three, she couldn't remember the specific detail of which scenario had the strongest link.
Stolat
Stolat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hinky's Mimi Wed May 23, 2012 9:33 am

Tamta wrote:

was.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
During the conference yesterday the sheriff said, herself, that she didn't remember which one.
Hinky's Mimi
Hinky's Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post by Joju Wed May 23, 2012 9:37 am

senseigurl wrote:I think it's extremely plausible that the Willow Glen case is tied to this one.

I remember the Safeway incidents three years ago were in a relatively short time span. I'd say 2-3 months it went on. MHPD left messages on all residential phones warning people about the assaults. The suspect was most likely in "frenzy" mode. They didn't arrest anyone at the time for it.

This lack of action by LE most likely emboldened him. He may have thought, "I wonder what else can I get away with?" The WG incident was only a week after the Sierra disappearance. This was most likely his "frenzy" period. He most likely has psychopathy. Hopefully psych evaluation is performed on the perp.

He has a myspace: http://www.myspace.com/303044008/

http://www.myspace.com/303044008/

Did they search Cunningham lake? Cant remember. He has a pic of the road sign on my space. Joju
Joju
Joju

Mood : Whistling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next