Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robert Bashara Trial

+6
Mylife101
Alessandra_Deux
justanopinion
Weeziethm
ishi
One Wonders
10 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Robert Bashara Trial - Page 7 Empty Re: Robert Bashara Trial

Post by Freckles Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:54 am

Bob Bashara may testify in appeal for new trial

11:32 p.m. EDT September 7, 2015
"....The former Grosse Pointe Park businessman — convicted in the death of his wife, Jane Bashara, and serving life in prison — wants a new trial, blaming his former attorneys for his plight. A hearing will be held Sept. 15 on a motion filed in July by Bob Bashara’s appellate attorney, Ronald Ambrose.

Among several claims made, the filing says Bashara’s relationship with a mistress and alternative sex lifestyle in the BDSM — bondage, discipline, sadomasochism — community was put on display, but records that would have given context to the "marital understanding” he had with his wife were not introduced.

This issue is the focus of a document filed last week and titled “Affidavit of Robert Michael Bashara.”

In it, Bashara says health issues prevented him and Jane Bashara from having sex and claims that if their understanding and medical records been disclosed, it would have “provided the jury with at least a general understanding of my extramarital conduct.”

In the filing, Bashara says Jane Bashara “had given me permission.”

“Jane told me to do what I needed to do to take care of myself,” according to the court document. “Her requirement, however, was not to embarrass her or the family.”

The filing says Bashara doesn’t believe his wife was involved in extramarital conduct, but was vaguely aware of his behavior because she described him as being into weird sex...."

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2015/09/07/bob-bashara-may-testify-appeal-new-trial/71659360/

"...."I didn't find a direct correlation between his lifestyle and his ability to commit murder," juror Regis Johnson said after the trial. "I think what's more important is that once the picture was painted of him, he came across as a narcissistic sociopath, which had nothing to do with his sexual practices." ...." Cool
Freckles
Freckles

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:40 am

Freckles wrote:Bob Bashara may testify in appeal for new trial

11:32 p.m. EDT September 7, 2015
"....The former Grosse Pointe Park businessman — convicted in the death of his wife, Jane Bashara, and serving life in prison — wants a new trial, blaming his former attorneys for his plight. A hearing will be held Sept. 15 on a motion filed in July by Bob Bashara’s appellate attorney, Ronald Ambrose.

Among several claims made, the filing says Bashara’s relationship with a mistress and alternative sex lifestyle in the BDSM — bondage, discipline, sadomasochism — community was put on display, but records that would have given context to the "marital understanding” he had with his wife were not introduced.

This issue is the focus of a document filed last week and titled “Affidavit of Robert Michael Bashara.”

In it, Bashara says health issues prevented him and Jane Bashara from having sex and claims that if their understanding and medical records been disclosed, it would have “provided the jury with at least a general understanding of my extramarital conduct.”

In the filing, Bashara says Jane Bashara “had given me permission.”

“Jane told me to do what I needed to do to take care of myself,” according to the court document. “Her requirement, however, was not to embarrass her or the family.”

The filing says Bashara doesn’t believe his wife was involved in extramarital conduct, but was vaguely aware of his behavior because she described him as being into weird sex...."

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2015/09/07/bob-bashara-may-testify-appeal-new-trial/71659360/

"...."I didn't find a direct correlation between his lifestyle and his ability to commit murder," juror Regis Johnson said after the trial. "I think what's more important is that once the picture was painted of him, he came across as a narcissistic sociopath, which had nothing to do with his sexual practices." ...." Cool

Wow.  He still can't keep his lies straight. Now he's reverting back to his original lie.

Shortly after the slaying, as media stories about Bashara's relationship with Gillett began to surface, he appeared on Dateline NBC and claimed he and Jane had an open marriage.

"That upset me," said Engelbrecht, 82. "So I called him, and I said, 'please don't bring Jane down to your level. You did not have an open marriage.' He said, 'do you know what Jane told me? I can go out and do anything I want, as long as it makes me happy.' "

"I said, 'Oh, so she allowed slaves and dungeons?' He said she didn't know anything about that."

According to Engelbrecht, Bashara later called and said his former attorney, David Griem, had told him to say he and Jane had an open marriage.

(BBM)

Source:  http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2014/10/27/robert-bashara-trial/17996619/

That juror nailed it!  Robert Bashara Trial - Page 7 88030
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:50 am

Bob Bashara back in court on Tuesday; Expected to request a new trial

Posted:  10:51 AM, Sep 14, 2015

DETROIT (WXYZ) - Bob Bashara, the Grosse Pointe Park man found guilty of murdering his wife Jane in 2012, will be back in court on Tuesday morning.

The hearing is a post-conviction hearing with Judge Vonda Evans, and we're told a motion will be filed for a new trial.

We plan to stream the hearing live at 9 a.m.

(BBM)

Read more:  http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/wayne-county/bob-bashara-back-in-court-on-tuesday-expected-to-request-a-new-trial
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:44 pm

Bashara to ask judge to order retrial on murder charge

George Hunter, The Detroit News 5:27 p.m. EDT September 14, 2015

As far as Bob Bashara is concerned, he’d be a free man if only his attorneys had told jurors during his murder trial what a great guy he is.  

...Diallo said she can’t discuss much about the case, but added Bashara may waive attorney-client privilege. “If he does that, all bets are off,” she said.

Bashara may want to testify on his own behalf, Diallo said.

Read more:  http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2015/09/14/bashara-ask-judge-retrial-murder-charge/72276158/
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:30 pm

^^^^^

"....“The testimony was what it was,” Diallo said. “We didn’t make the jury’s decision. It came across loud and clear: The jury didn’t care about the Rotary Club.”...."

shifty
roflao roflao roflao roflao

(I like her choice of words.)
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:19 am

^^^

Bingo!

roflao
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:22 am

Watch today's hearing live
:

http://www.wxyz.com/live2

http://www.courtchatter.com/#!bob-bashara-hearing-stream-1/csoj

http://www.courtchatter.com/#!bob-bashara-hearing-stream-2/c1u4c

Last edited by CuriousPortlander on Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:36 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated link)
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:55 pm

Ex-Bashara attorney gets testy during hearing

3:14 p.m. EDT September 15, 2015

Convicted murderer Bob Bashara wanted his wife’s medical information introduced at his trial to give context to the “marital understanding” he said they had that led to his philandering.

But that information was irrelevant and inappropriate, Bashara’s trial attorney, Michael McCarthy, said when he took the stand in an evidentiary hearing today in Wayne County Circuit Court.

“I didn’t want to drag the good name of Jane Bashara into the mud,” he said.

...McCarthy took the stand in a Detroit courtroom today after Bashara waived his attorney-client privilege in his quest for a new trial.

Wayne County Circuit Judge Vonda Evans, who presided over Bashara’s murder trial, told Bashara if he waived that privilege, anything he revealed to his trial attorneys, McCarthy and Lillian Diallo, could be used “for you” or “against you” and he said he understood.

Read more:  http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2015/09/15/live-bob-bashara-returns-court/72299878/
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:15 pm

BOB BASHARA: POST CONVICTION HEARING - PART 1

BOB BASHARA: POST CONVICTION HEARING - PART 2

BOB BASHARA: POST CONVICTION HEARING - PART 3

Published Sept. 15, 2015 by LadyJustice2188's Youtube Channel:  https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyJustice2188
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:17 pm

BOB BASHARA: POST CONVICTION HEARING - DAY 2 - PART 1

BOB BASHARA: POST CONVICTION HEARING - DAY 2 - PART 2

Only 2 parts today; hearing resumes October 14, 2015.

Published Sept. 16, 2015 by LadyJustice2188's Youtube Channel:  https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyJustice2188
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:14 pm

Hearing news w/ mini vid:

"...POSTED:OCT 14 2015 04:01AM EDT
UPDATED:OCT 14 2015 11:39AM EDT
DETROIT (AP) - A hearing resumes into whether a suburban Detroit man convicted of arranging his wife's death should get a new trial.

Fifty-seven-year-old Bob Bashara, known as "Master Bob," wants his murder conviction and life sentence thrown out, saying his rights were violated by an ineffective defense.

Testimony began last month in the hearing, which is scheduled to continue on Wednesday in Wayne County Circuit Court in Detroit.

FOX 2 will livestream the court hearing, which you can watch by clicking here or in the video player below. ...."

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/32953585-story
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:23 pm

They are on break until 1:15 their time...
Trouble getting a good link.
Try here for recap from this morning.
(Focus is on Joe Gent being released early on...)

http://www.courtchatter.com/#!schedule/mainPage
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:03 pm

Police chief asked why handyman let go after confession

George Hunter, The Detroit News 12:22 p.m. EDT October 14, 2015

Grosse Pointe Park's top cop was grilled Wednesday by a Wayne Circuit judge about his department's decision to release handyman Joe Gentz after he confessed to killing Jane Bashara.

Public Safety Director David Hiller was one of two witnesses who testified Wednesday morning during a hearing in which convicted murderer Robert Bashara is seeking a new trial.

Bashara, the former president of the Grosse Pointe Rotary Club, also is expected to take the witness stand later in the hearing.

Read more:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2015/10/14/robert-bashara/73916084/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:11 pm

Investigator says Bashara trial lacked due process (Video)

By Elisha Anderson, Detroit Free Press 12:05 p.m. EDT October 14, 2015

Former Grosse Pointe Park businessman turned Michigan Department of Corrections Inmate #856261 Bob Bashara is scheduled to return to a Detroit courtroom today and could testify for the first time in his case.

Bashara, who is serving life in prison for his wife's 2012 murder, is seeking a new trial, claiming he was denied a fair trial "in a number of respects."

Today will be the third day of testimony in the evidentiary hearing held in the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice.

Ronald Ambrose, Bashara's appellate attorney, said last month his client is "looking forward to testifying," but it's unclear if that will happen today.

Read more:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2015/10/14/bob-bashara-grosse-pointe-businessman-murder-trial/73880686/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:17 pm

Bashara to take witness stand Thursday

George Hunter, The Detroit News 2:07 p.m. EDT October 14, 2015

Bob Bashara's much-anticipated testimony in his quest for a new trail was aborted before it started.

The convicted murderer took the witness stand Wednesday after being sworn in and advised of his right to remain silent -- and, then, seconds later, he was told by Wayne Circuit Judge Vonda Evans to stand down.

Evans said she had other matters on her docket, and anticipated Bashara's testimony would take several hours.

"I don't want to limit the direct, redirect, re-redirect, re-re-cross," Evans said, bringing Wednesday's four-hour hearing to a close. The proceedings will pick up again Thursday morning, with Bashara expected to testify. Thursday's hearing is expected to take several hours, Evans said.

Read more:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2015/10/14/robert-bashara/73916084/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:06 pm

Bashara to testify Thursday in bid for new trial

By Elisha Anderson, Detroit Free Press 2:18 p.m. EDT October 14, 2015

Bob Bashara took the stand today, but before any question could be asked he stepped down at the order of a judge.

Wayne County Circuit Judge Vonda Evans annouced he would return to the stand Thursday morning for what's expected to be a full day of testimony.

Earlier in the day, Bashara, a former Grosse Pointe Park businessman, sat in a green jail garb in a Detroit courtroom as testimony today turned to the man who killed his wife, Joseph Gentz.

Grosse Pointe Park Police Chief David Hiller testified Gentz confessed to being involved in the murder of Jane Bashara then was released so police could further investigate.

Read more:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2015/10/14/bashara-defense-zeroes-gentz-bid-new-trial/73928218/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:51 pm

Bob Bashara appears in court wanting retrial (Video)

By: Charlie Langton

Posted:Oct 14 2015 08:46PM EDT
Updated:Oct 14 2015 08:46PM EDT

Bob Bashara was back in court Wednesday months after a jury convicted him of arranging the murder of his wife Jane. Now he wants a new trial claiming his original defense lawyers botched his case.

During the hearing it looked like Bob Bashara was going to take the stand when he was sworn in.

After taking a seat in the witness box, Judge Vonda Evans told him to step down. Evans said she wants a full day of testimony and Bashara is set to testify Thursday morning.

Read more:

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/33209760-story
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:11 am

^^^^
Thanks AD! I was having trouble trying to capture any live court action yesterday...

I don't much care for this judge's addressing of others in the courtroom. She seems to wield that gavel with a very heavy hand. There was no need for her to show that much disrespect toward BB when she ordered him to stand down. Further, her court calendar should have allowed time for the proceedings to go forth uninterrupted rather than splitting the time between two days as she did.

IF BB were granted a new trial:
1. It could be based upon the judge's demeanor toward BB. Her outward disdain for him might be seen as prejudicial for a jury.

2. BB erred big time when the focus went to the sexual life style of BB and his "need" for his alternative life style. This is the Midwest and Bible belt mentality is prevalent. What goes on behind closed door should stay behind closed doors. He needs to consider his audience.

3. It is of value to note the actions of the PD re Joe Gentz. However, outside of the confession of Gentz, there was little else to further charge Gentz on. He WAS investigated, he WAS arrested, he was charged, he WAS sentenced. Done and over! The evidence uncovered BB as the mastermind. It was BB with Rachel G., BB fishing for the hitman, etc., that provided motive and opportunity, etc.. Not much to go with on Gentz. Plenty with BB.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:59 pm

Bob Bashara: 'Lies were put in place to protect my family'

By Elisha Anderson, Detroit Free Press 5:15 p.m. EDT October 15, 2015

Bob Bashara admitted he was a liar when he took the stand today in his attempt to get a new trial, but said he has good reason for not telling his mistress the truth about being married.

“Those lies were put in place to protect my family,” he said.

...She started cross-examination in the afternoon and questioned his decision to bring three women into the bed he shared with his wife.

The reasons he gave for doing it, even though he knew it would be hurtful if his wife found out: comfort because of bed size and convenience.

Lindsey said there were hotels and motels nearby. Then Judge Evans asked why Bashara didn't take the women to his dungeon, which was in the basement of one of his businesses and talked about extensively during the trial.

Bashara calmly explained the reason he didn't take them to his sex dungeon: the bed there wasn't big enough and there was no shower, which one of the women planned to use.

Read more:  http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2015/10/15/bob-bashara-testify/73956260/
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:07 pm

Freckles wrote:^^^^
Thanks AD! I was having trouble trying to capture any live court action yesterday...

I don't  much care for this judge's addressing of others in the courtroom. She seems to wield that gavel with a very heavy hand. There was no need for her to show that much disrespect toward BB when she ordered him to stand down. Further, her court calendar should have allowed time for the proceedings to go forth uninterrupted rather than splitting the time between two days as she did.  

IF BB were granted a new trial:
1. It could be based upon the judge's demeanor toward BB. Her outward disdain for him might be seen as prejudicial for a jury.

2. BB erred big time when the focus went to the sexual life style of BB and his "need" for his alternative life style. This is the Midwest and Bible belt mentality is prevalent. What goes on behind closed door should stay behind closed doors. He needs to consider his audience.

3. It is of value to note the actions of the PD re Joe Gentz. However, outside of the confession of Gentz, there was little else to further charge Gentz on. He WAS investigated, he WAS arrested, he was charged, he WAS sentenced. Done and over! The evidence uncovered BB as the mastermind. It was BB with Rachel G., BB fishing for the hitman, etc., that provided motive and opportunity, etc.. Not much to go with on Gentz. Plenty with BB.

(BBM)

If I'm reading your comment #2 above correctly, from what I recall, Bob and his attorneys did not want the "lifestyle" testimony to be brought up in trial.  It was brought up by the Prosecutors as his motive for wanting to have Jane killed.

I searched and searched for articles and/or court documents about this, but couldn't find anything.  The article I had posted from previously is no longer there (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130819/METRO01/308190061/-1/rss33), but here's what the article said:

Prosecutor: Desire for kinky sex led Bashara to have wife killed
August 19, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Snipped:
-----
Detroit— Prosecutors said Monday they plan to introduce evidence showing Bob Bashara’s penchant for kinky sex was a motive for murdering his wife, and that he contacted several people about having her killed before settling on his handyman, Joseph Gentz.

I also found this quote on the Justice4Jane website (http://justice4jane.forumotion.com/t58p150-bashara-murder-charges-1st-degree-1st-degree-conspiracy-solicitation-perjury-witness-intimidation-obstruction-of-justice):

"Bashara's attorney Rene Cooper said, “We’ve taken such strong measures to have this matter sealed so the media can’t get to it, and in three sentences, (Lindsey) has aired it all out.”"

So Bob's attorneys tried, but were not successful in having this evidence suppressed.

Last edited by CuriousPortlander on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed typo)
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:52 am

Bob Bashara testifies in his bid for new trial

Author: Local 4 - ClickOnDetroit news staff, local4@clickondetroit.com

Published On: Oct 13 2015 02:43:55 PM EDT | Updated On: Oct 15 2015 05:30:20 PM EDT

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

DETROIT -  The Grosse Pointe Park man convicted of arranging his wife's death took the stand Thursday as part of his efforts to get a new trial.

Jane Bashara was found dead in 2012 inside her Mercedes-Benz, which was ditched in a Detroit alley just miles from the couple's home in Grosse Pointe Park.

Prosecutors said Bob Bashara coerced handyman Joe Gentz into strangling his wife and abandoning the body. Gentz is in prison after being convicted of second-degree murder.

Read more:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/hearing-resumes-wednesday-in-bob-basharas-bid-for-new-trial/35818608

-----------------------------

Bob Bashara testimony continues in quest for new trial

Published On:  1 h

DETROIT -  Bob Bashara is expected to continue his testimony Friday, a day after he said his wife gave him permission to have extramarital affairs.

Bashara testified in Wayne County Circuit Court as he seeks to have his first-degree murder conviction and life sentence thrown out, saying his rights were violated by an ineffective defense. He testified that his trial attorneys advised him against taking the stand at his salacious trial last year.

"I felt that I was grossly misled by that," Bashara said.

~Snipped~

Prosecutors have said Bob Bashara, 57, coerced handyman Joe Gentz into strangling her at the couple's Grosse Pointe Park home. Gentz is in prison after a second-degree murder conviction.

Part of the focus of his original trial was on Bashara's extramarital affairs and the bondage and domination lifestyle.

Bashara, who was known as "Master Bob" among those in that lifestyle, told Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Vonda Evans Thursday that his wife gave him permission to have extramarital affairs because the couple was unable to have sex due to medical conditions.

Read more:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/bob-bashara-testimony-continues-in-quest-for-new-trial/35868944
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:32 am

Convicted Murderer Bob Bashara Takes Stand In Attempt To Get New Trial

October 15, 2015 1:40 PM

DETROIT (WWJ) – A Wayne County Judge says she will not allow a Grosse Pointe Park man to use his attempt to get his murder conviction thrown out as a chance to testify to what he wishes he would have at trial.

~Snipped~

Assistant Prosecutor Lisa Lindsey objected multiple times during Bashara’s testimony, questioning its relevance to the matter at hand.

Lindsey pointed out that Bashara knew he’d had a right to testify in his own defense during his trial, and opted not to do so.

“What he would’ve said had he testified is not relevant here because he waived his right,” Lindsey said.

Agreeing with the prosecution, Judge Vonda Evans ruled she won’t let Bashara testify to anything, at this point, other than to what his attorneys supposedly did wrong.

~Snipped~

Bashara added that he’d trusted Judge Evan’s judgement as to the competence of his court-appointed lawyers. But Evans pointed out that, if he was so dissatisfied with their work, why didn’t he write her a single letter about it during the 10-week trial?

There’s a lot of important information, Bashara’s appellate attorney Ronald Ambrose says, that his client could have testified to that may have changed the outcome of the trial.

Before Judge Evans put a stop to the testimony, Bashara and Ambrose seemed to be trying to establish that Jane Bashara likely had a confrontation with Gentz over some unpaid bills that may have led to her murder.

Read more:

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/10/15/convicted-murderer-bob-bashara-takes-stand-in-attempt-to-get-new-trial/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:12 am

Bob Bashara gets emotional on the stand

Published On: Oct 16 2015 05:28:18 PM EDT | Updated On: Oct 16 2015 05:29:49 PM EDT

Video:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/bob-bashara-gets-emotional-on-the-stand/35884554
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylife101 Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:40 pm

Bob Bashara deserved worse than he got for what he did to Jane. Bob, please go cry in your cell where civilized society doesn't have to see you.
Mylife101
Mylife101

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:36 am

Alessandra_Deux wrote:Bob Bashara testifies in his bid for new trial

Author: Local 4 - ClickOnDetroit news staff, local4@clickondetroit.com

Published On: Oct 13 2015 02:43:55 PM EDT | Updated On: Oct 15 2015 05:30:20 PM EDT

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

DETROIT -  The Grosse Pointe Park man convicted of arranging his wife's death took the stand Thursday as part of his efforts to get a new trial.

Jane Bashara was found dead in 2012 inside her Mercedes-Benz, which was ditched in a Detroit alley just miles from the couple's home in Grosse Pointe Park.

Prosecutors said Bob Bashara coerced handyman Joe Gentz into strangling his wife and abandoning the body. Gentz is in prison after being convicted of second-degree murder.

Read more:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/hearing-resumes-wednesday-in-bob-basharas-bid-for-new-trial/35818608

-----------------------------

Bob Bashara testimony continues in quest for new trial

Published On:  1 h

DETROIT -  Bob Bashara is expected to continue his testimony Friday, a day after he said his wife gave him permission to have extramarital affairs.

Bashara testified in Wayne County Circuit Court as he seeks to have his first-degree murder conviction and life sentence thrown out, saying his rights were violated by an ineffective defense. He testified that his trial attorneys advised him against taking the stand at his salacious trial last year.

"I felt that I was grossly misled by that," Bashara said.

~Snipped~

Prosecutors have said Bob Bashara, 57, coerced handyman Joe Gentz into strangling her at the couple's Grosse Pointe Park home. Gentz is in prison after a second-degree murder conviction.

Part of the focus of his original trial was on Bashara's extramarital affairs and the bondage and domination lifestyle.

Bashara, who was known as "Master Bob" among those in that lifestyle, told Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Vonda Evans Thursday that his wife gave him permission to have extramarital affairs because the couple was unable to have sex due to medical conditions.

Read more:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/bob-bashara-testimony-continues-in-quest-for-new-trial/35868944

Blame the victim! Or, tell the court the victim gave him free license to take care of his so-called "needs..."
He is so repulsive and he doesn't even have a clue.
I feel bad for his kids having to live with the knowledge this IS their father...
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:40 am

^^^^
From above:
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2015/10/15/bob-bashara-testify/73956260/

"....Wayne County Circuit Judge Vonda Evans asked Bashara why he didn't take those women to the dungeon he kept nearby.

Bashara casually and calmly explained that the bed there wasn't big enough for everybody, and there was no shower for the women to use....."

How much room did he need?
How big was that basement room? How big was his bedroom? Yeah...
I don't think the bedroom provided room enough to haul in all his BDSM toys...
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:49 am

^^^^
From above:
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/10/15/convicted-murderer-bob-bashara-takes-stand-in-attempt-to-get-new-trial/

1. BB attempted to have sexual relations with other women, especially the one from out of state. IIRC, she was from Oregon.

2. BB attempted to solicit the murder of his wife from others from out of state.

3. He did arrange for the murder of his wife thru the "appliance" salesman... and that was tape-recorded by the PD. He even wrote a hilarious receipt for services!!!

What does he think he should have presented to have changed the outcome?
Even the tenants in his buildings have stated he was an inept, obnoxious landlord.
He was out of control and has such inflated perception of himself he is disgusting and a pig!
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:18 pm

Scroll of court room testimony at bottom of this link.

Bashara: It's hard to find good slave in BDSM community roflao

"...Bob Bashara gave two reasons why he misled his former mistress in an effort to keep her from leaving: It’s hard to find a good slave in his alternative-sex lifestyle, and they got along well...."

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2015/10/19/bob-bashara-returns-stand-afternoon/74213062/

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:50 pm

Post-Conviction Hearing Videos
(Days 1 and 2 were posted earlier in this thread)

BOB BASHARA POST CONVICTION HEARING - DAY 3- PART 1

BOB BASHARA POST CONVICTION HEARING - DAY 3- PART 2

BOB BASHARA POST CONVICTION HEARING - DAY 3- PART 3

All published Oct. 14, 2015 by LadyJustice2188 on Youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyJustice2188/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=1

Last edited by CuriousPortlander on Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected typo)
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:54 pm

BOB BASHARA TESTIFIES - PART 1

BOB BASHARA TESTIFIES - PART 2

BOB BASHARA TESTIFIES - PART 3 - CROSS EXAM

BOB BASHARA TESTIFIES - PART 4 - CROSS EXAM

All published on Oct. 15, 2015 by LadyJustice2188
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyJustice2188/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=1

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:58 pm

BOB BASHARA TESTIFIES - DAY 2 - PART 1- CROSS EXAM

BOB BASHARA TESTIFIES DAY 2 - PART 2 - CROSS EXAM

All published on Oct. 16, 2015 by LadyJustice2188
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:07 pm

BOB BASHARA TESTIFIES - DAY 3 - PART 1

BOB BASHARA TESTIFIES - DAY 3 - PART 2 (CROSS EXAM)

All published on Oct. 19, 2015 by LadyJustice2188

Hearing resumes November 13, 2015 at 11:00 a.m. (Eastern)
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:23 am

Thanks, CP!

Hearing is interesting. I wish the judge and the prosecutor would stop talking over each other and try to communicate clearly in their answers questions. They fail to let BB answer the asked questions completely but just run over him with the next question as if his answers are of no importance to them. (So why ask the question, then??? Is this only a test of power and authority??? They are IN that position already so a bit of latitude would not compromise their authorities. JMO.)

Two new problems I see from BB's testimony:
1. IIRC, (Ever since early 1900s and publication of the book, The Jungle, worker's rights have been moving forward.) it is against the law to deduct an employee's housing from his pay check especially when he is a part time employee and there is NO guarantee the wages earned will pay for his housing and other monthly living benefits. It has to be separate transactions and an employer CANNOT DIRECTLY attach job or living expenses (car rental, housing, utilities, uniform rental, etc.) to be deducted from a pay check as there is no allowance for the employee to then question the expenses; he is at the mercy of the employer who may be raise the cost of expense  deduction without a fair hearing for the employee.

I hope I explained that clearly. Not sure I did. It is a big no-no in most/all states as it pertains to State Labor Laws...Might be Federal??? Shocked

2. BB hired Joe Gentz. Did he pay Social Security, taxes, State Disability Insurance, etc. on this employee??? Depending upon his state labor laws BB may have been required to have reported the income paid to JG especially if BB was aware JG was in receipt of monies that might have impacted unemployment or disability payments...
In tape 1 above, BB indicated he was aware JG was to have been receiving $1,000 a month. So BB was not concerned with charging JG 750 $ a month for rent. (Apparently, BB felt JG could live  and pay utility expenses on 250$ a month...or @ $65 a week for food, transportation, clothing, and ALL utilities. Eat cake if there is no bread, JG!)

See number 1.

3. Rather than having the defendant balance a thick notebook on his knee, IMO, a desk or platform or drop-leaf table/shelve could have been provided. It would have been much more professional and sped up the notebook referencing while lending some dignity to the court presentation. Too amateurish a presentation by the court. Let's dignify the proceedings.

4. The judge is delaying this hearing another three weeks. This effectively is splitting the testimony. I find this prejudicial. IF the court deemed this hearing was worth hearing then lend it a sense of professional dignity. She stated she has some judicial meetings to attend AND will be starting to hear a new and different legal case. Surely, that new case could be delayed while this one is wrapping up? Splitting this shows a bias IMO. There is no need to demonstrate that bias (and it is unprofessional) as BB has already been found guilty and sentenced. She is walking a very dangerous path leading to an over turning of the prior rulings... JMO.

Stay professional! No
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:51 pm

^^^

You're welcome, Freckles.

I don't think BB ever hired Joe as an employee.  If Joe actually did any work for BB at all, I think it was more as an independent contractor, in which case, BB wouldn't be responsible for taxes, insurance, etc.  There's no "paycheck" involved (i.e., not "salary"); just a check for services rendered.

I agreed about them all talking over each other.  Very frustrating to listen to.

I think they all know how Bob wants to ramble on and on and fill in far more information than what most of the questions were asking about.  Judge Evans asked him during cross to answer only yes or no, and said that when BB's attorney gets up to do re-direct, Bob can expand on his answers then.  He'll have his chance to say whatever he wanted to (as long as the State doesn't object as irrelevant, etc.).

Interesting point about bias/splitting the testimony.  I wonder if Judge Evans is unable to reschedule the other trial due to that defendant's right to a speedy trial.  I would think a trial has more of a clock ticking than a post-conviction relief hearing.  But it is odd to have such a delay between cross and re-direct.  I wonder how long the parties first said this hearing would take, and if it went way beyond that, thereby causing it to have to be split.

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:53 pm

Good read re the testimony given at the hearing thus far.

DETROIT
Prosecutor pokes holes in Bashara’s testimony during evidentiary hearing
By K. Michelle Moran
October 27, 2015

http://www.candgnews.com/news/prosecutor-pokes-holes-bashara%E2%80%99s-testimony-during-evidentiary-hearing-87392
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:06 am

Live feed:
 http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2015/11/13/bob-bashara-trial-jane/75702044/
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:50 pm

Thanks, CP.

Running notes for the live feed:
Judge is questioning BB re the purchase of the "slave" house.Nailing him as he states he is not working, Jane did not have to sign off on the family home for the equity for him to use it to buy new "slave quarters", BB had notes showing promise to pay back his mother on two different "loans" or notes from July, 2012, 74,000 dollars and 146,000 dollars. July 6 and July 9. Keep in mind: he is not employed and needed Jane's income. He had stated in court at earlier date, he had no promissory notes.

Good twitter for summary:
https://twitter.com/local4news
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:56 pm

JMO
Prosecutor is good. She has her info and solid presentation.
She needs to get off the attitude. It becomes distracting when she is yelling, scolding, and so negative with the lecturing.

When you have the upper hand, there is no need for the attitude.
Makes it difficult to listen to her questioning BB and reviewing of evidence.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:03 pm

Commentary on left scroll:
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/bob-bashara-back-on-the-stand-in-pursuit-of-new-trial/36415704

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/local4news

Live (but wheels spin as it is forever buffering):
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2015/11/13/bob-bashara-trial-jane/75702044/

Live: Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP3_-7qb7Nk

Not sure as court is on break:
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/48425728-story
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:45 pm

9:38 AM - 13 Nov 2015
   Twitter
   Mandi Wright
   @DetroitMandi

Asst. Wayne Cty. Pros. Lisa Lindsey looks on after #BobBashara made crack about her short comings. #court http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTtYHluW4AAebXC.jpg

Robert Bashara Trial - Page 7 Bd8f08be-c0d8-4fa3-bbd9-e25c52bdf151_500
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:47 pm

Free Press' live commentary/blog:

http://live.freep.com/Event/Bob_Bashara_continues_push_for_new_trial
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:05 pm

BOB BASHARA TESTIFIES- DAY 4 - PART 1 (CROSS EXAM)

Published on Nov 13, 2015

Source:  LadyJustice2188 on Youtube:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM50fHjmwzU
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:49 pm

In part 2 of today's hearing, there were a lot of objections by Lisa Lindsey to the questions Mr. Ambrose was asking because they were outside the scope of the cross-exam.  Since Mr. Ambrose is working from memory, and the court transcripts from previous cross are not yet available, Judge Evans has recessed the hearing until 9:30 am (Eastern) on December 3.

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:51 pm

From earlier:

BB said he did not want to "rub" his wife's face in his other sexual activities;
he did not intervene when a former "slave" joined church committees Jane was most active with. BB stated he did not feel it was his place to interfer with the relationship Jane and the slave might form.

BB maintains he tried to keep Jane from embarrassment and hurt from his other relationships.

Said he did take Rachel out in public; Rachel did work the Winter Blast (City of Detroit), a public event; had Rachel sit at top with some of BB's friends and acquaintances of Jane; admits it may have been embarrassing to Jane had she known;
went dancing at Marios; ate in public at Blue Point restaurant, a mile from Gross Point but in Detroit! ( BB emphasized he did NOT take Rachel out to dance, eat, etc., in Gross Point but in Detroit.) Clauson's Steak House was a primary place they dined.
He took Rachel to the family home when Jane was gone. He took her to Kalamazoo and spent the night there... after a Rotary event they attended. At Rotary event in Chicago, BB met with a former slave and partnered up...

BB went to marriage counseling with Jane. 2010=2011. Problems for seeking counseling? Not finances, not family. Said he tried to help people and went above and beyond; said he and Jane and kids were doing wonderfully; son did have problems and they "sent him away" to deal with the problems with a counselor...

Wow.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:55 pm

CuriousPortlander wrote:
In part 2 of today's hearing, there were a lot of objections by Lisa Lindsey to the questions Mr. Ambrose was asking because they were outside the scope of the cross-exam.  Since Mr. Ambrose is working from memory, and the court transcripts from previous cross are not yet available, Judge Evans has recessed the hearing until 9:30 am (Eastern) on December 3.

Would this be Venita Ford? BB stated he had problems with her, her children, her husband.
Stated he had a similar relationship with Venita Ford as he did with Rachel Gillete.
BB said he had told Venita he was going to leave Jane, etc.
Venita "knew" BB was never going to leave Jane, which, BB says, is why Venita was never called as a witness for the trial.

Last edited by Freckles on Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:02 pm

Tacky from a judge!

"....43 minutes ago
Bashara said that when Jane's youngest sister had trouble getting pregnant ...
"You helped out?" Evans said, adding that she was kidding...."
Gina Damron

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:04 pm

CP shared an excellent link.
This is rolling on the testimony:

http://live.freep.com/Event/Bob_Bashara_continues_push_for_new_trial?Page=0

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:38 pm

Freckles wrote:
CuriousPortlander wrote:

Would this be Venita Ford? BB stated he had problems with her, her children, her husband.
Stated he had a similar relationship with Venita Ford as he did with Rachel Gillete.
Venita "knew" BB was never going to leave Jane, which, BB says, is why Venita was never called as a witness for the trial.

Do you mean Venita Porter?  She did testify during the preliminary hearing before trial.  Here are my notes from that testimony:

http://www.realitychatter.com/t4582-jane-bashara-deceased-1-24-12-2#225711

And, you're welcome!

Last edited by CuriousPortlander on Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added comment)
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:55 pm

Freckles wrote:
CuriousPortlander wrote:

Trouble with the multiple quotes so I will make the changes here.
Big OOPS as to Venita's last name. Guess my hearing is going out, too...sigh. Embarassed

BB DID state in the hearing today she was never called as a witness because, according to BB, she would have testified (as to the strength of the Bashara marriage/ BB wanting to stay IN the marriage...despite BB telling many others a divorce was pending/desired by HIM.)
BB was telling the courts how strong this marriage commitment was as evidence he did not kill Jane.

During the trial, what got me me was the undercover officer having to strip to his undies and yet he hung his shirt so the tape player was recording the entire transaction... and then BB asking the "hitman" for a receipt roflao roflao roflao so he could take it off his taxes.
Wow. That did it! newspaper Ice that over with BB going on the internet and trying to hire a hitman from out of state... Is this guy for real? Watching today I am amazed at how grandiose he is and he tries to justify or blame away ALL his actions. Something is wrong with those brains of his... they done been scrambled for sure! Robert Bashara Trial - Page 7 394799
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:58 pm

BOB BASHARA TESTIFIES: DAY 4 - PART 2

Published on Nov 13, 2015

Source:  LadyJustice2188 Youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agm-en6CJY4
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin