Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jozlynn Mari Martinez Never Found -- Jeffrey Malmberg Convicted Of Second-Degree Murder

+5
pi-girl
Snaz
Piper
Cali
Justice4all
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Jozlynn Mari Martinez Never Found -- Jeffrey Malmberg Convicted Of Second-Degree Murder - Page 2 Empty Re: Jozlynn Mari Martinez Never Found -- Jeffrey Malmberg Convicted Of Second-Degree Murder

Post by Guest Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:01 pm

yeah, i've seen all of that - except the video - thank you Julie - - i wish the newspapers would updated their articles... I need new info... i'm like an addict... a news junkie...

Back to top Go down

Jozlynn Mari Martinez Never Found -- Jeffrey Malmberg Convicted Of Second-Degree Murder - Page 2 Empty Re: Jozlynn Mari Martinez Never Found -- Jeffrey Malmberg Convicted Of Second-Degree Murder

Post by Piper Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:13 pm

Julie wrote:Thanks Piper. Do you know who is in the picture, is that the perp. or bio-dad?

btw cute new gravatar.

praise One of my St. Paddy's Day fairies!

I can't tell who that is in the picture, Julie. Whoever it is, appears to have a lot of freckles to me.
Piper
Piper

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:52 pm

In the youtube above, they show a better clip of the picture at 3:36 & bio-dad is on youtube at 3:43.

I think in the picture is the perp, a blue eyed guy, I think bio dad has brown eyes.

btw last news reports on Google are 2/26. I wonder why they're not keeping up on this.
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life
Mood : Musical

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:47 pm

Detective says Jeffrey Malmberg suffocated Jozlynn Martinez, 2, by kneeling on her

By John Tunison | The Grand Rapids Press
March 04, 2010, 3:19PM

GRAND RAPIDS -- Prosecutors today issued a second-degree murder warrant against Jeffrey Malmberg, the suspect in the disappearance and suspected death of 2-year-old Jozlynn Martinez.

Malmberg, who is the live-in boyfriend of the girl's mother, Consuela Martinez, admitted to pinning the girl against the ground with his knee and applying pressure until she stopped breathing, a police detective testified today to obtain the criminal charge.

Malmberg has admitted he put the girl in a Dumpster near their Nagold Street NW home on Feb. 22, but earlier told Consuela Martinez that she fell down the stairs and died.

Grand Rapids Police Chief Kevin Belk and local FBI supervisor John King announced the charges a press conference Thursday afternoon. An arraignment is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Friday.

"We have charged him with second degree murder and that would not be consistent with an accidental death," Belk said.

Police refused to divulge a motive for the killing. Efforts are ongoing to find the child's body.

Warrants also have been issued against Malmberg for tampering with evidence, a 10-year felony, and larceny less than $20,000 for allegedly taking $2,800 from Martinez's purse.

If convicted of second-degree murder, Malmberg could be ordered to life in prison.

Malmberg originally was charged with kidnapping and larceny after he was arrested in Lansing after the girl's disappearance.

Police said again today that the mother is not a suspect. She was out of the house at the time of Jozlynn's death, police said.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/03/detective_says_jeffrey_malmber.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Mood : Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:58 pm

wow - i can't imagine what that little girl went thru... I don't think i've ever heard of anyone doing this before. I dont' want to think about it...

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:07 pm

I will never understand what possesses people to murder innocent children. That is a very vicious way for him to have killed her. I wonder if that will be his final story or if he will change it again.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:44 pm

A grown man applying enough pressure on a 22 pound little girl to kill her. His motive? He despised this child for whatever sick reason, he enjoyed hurting her. Evil bastard.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:35 pm

Jeffrey Malmberg arraigned for murder of Jozlynn Martinez

Amy Fox
Updated:3/5/2010 3:10:06 PM

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) - Jeffrey Malmberg was arraigned Friday for murder in the death of two-year-old Jozlynn Martinez.

Malmberg is charged with 2nd degree murder, larceny, and tampering with evidence. This is an increase from the previous kidnapping charges he faced. Judge David Buter ordered Malmberg's bond to be continued at $1 million.

Malmberg is the former live-in boyfriend of Martinez's mother, Consuela Martinez.

Grand Rapids Police announced Thursday that after many hours of searching at the city's waste to energy facility, Jozlynn's body has not been recovered.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=119194
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:46 pm

Malmberg: 'I'm not a monster'
Jozlynn's death an accident, he said

Updated: Saturday, 06 Mar 2010, 9:24 AM EST
By Ken Kolker

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - The man accused of kneeling on 2-year-old Jozlynn Martinez's chest until she died says he is not a "monster" and that the death was an accident.

"I loved her," Jeffrey Malmberg told 24 Hour News 8 in a jailhouse interview on Saturday. "She was my princess." He said he considered himself her father.

Malmberg, 40, was charged Thursday with second-degree murder, tampering with evidence for tossing Jozlynn's body in a Dumpster and larceny for stealing $2,800 from the girl's mother.

Unshaven and in a jail-green uniform, he spoke to 24 Hour News 8 through thick glass in a visiting room at the Kent County Jail, where he's held on a $1 million bond.

His first question: "Did they find her body?"

Malmberg said he'd heard rumors -- unfounded -- that police had recovered Jozlynn's body.

Grand Rapids police detectives say Malmberg admitted to them that he knelt on Jozlynn's chest until she stopped breathing, then placed her body in a trash bag and carried her two blocks to a commercial Dumpster.

He allegedly told them it happened at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 22, at the girl's home, 915 Nagold St. NW. He said police have it wrong, though he refused to go into details. He previously told Jozlynn's mother that the girl accidentally fell down the stairs.

"It was an accident," he told 24 Hour News 8. Jozlynn's mother, Consuela Martinez, 21, originally told police she checked on her daughter about 11 p.m. that night, though she since has said she may have been confused.

"She did not check on her that night," Malmberg told 24 Hour News 8.

Malmberg said that he and Martinez, Jozlynn and their 7-month-old son, Brian, were a family. He said he and Martinez planned to marry on March 20.

He said he has a newspaper clipping at the jail with photographs of Jozlynn and the mom. "I kiss them every night," he said.

He asked reporters to leave Martinez alone. "She lost her daughter one day, then her fiance, and now she's lost her son."

A hearing is planned this month after state Children's Protective Services filed a neglect petition involving the boy, court officials said.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/Malmberg-Im-not-a-monster
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:02 pm

sick sick sick...
she was his princess??? what kind of an accident could cause a man to kneel on a little girl and thereby kill her??? I wish he would elaborate, because I can't think of any...

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm guessing that he is going to stick with the story about Jozlynn falling down the stairs and deny that he told detectives he knelt on her chest. I doubt that it will work as I think the jury will believe the detectives and give the prosecution an easy conviction.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:38 pm

Police search landfill for Jozlynn Martinez

March 08, 2010 5:38 PM

KENT COUNTY, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – The search for Jozlynn Martinez has transferred to a Kent County landfill.

The two year old was last seen on February 22nd in her bedroom at her home on Nagold Street in Grand Rapids.

Two days after Jozlynn was last seen, her mother's boyfriend, Jeffrey Malmberg, was arrested. Malmberg has since been charged with second degree murder, tampering with evidence, and larceny after police say he admitting to holding down Jozlynn until she stopped breathing, and then dumping her body in the trash.

Police have been searching for Jozlynn since then. On Monday that search went to the South Kent Landfill on 100th Street in Byron Center.

Investigators there are meticulously going through 51 tons of trash trying to find Jozlynn's body. Essentially this search is a last ditch effort by police to go through the remaining trash from Jozlynn's neighborhood.

At the landfill, the work isn't easy. Donning protective suits and gloves, with the help of picks and shovels, officers are tying to look through every piece of garbage to find any kind of sign of Jozlynn.

“It's an art, it's not a science, the way they track this garbage,” said Det. Jeff Hertel of Grand Rapids Police. “So we're hitting it as best we can right now.”

Despite the massive effort, detectives are calling the operation a long shot. Most of the garbage taken from Jozlynn's neighborhood is believed to have been burned, but there is still some garbage they haven't looked through yet.

“There's certain stuff they don't like to burn off at the incinerator plant,” said Det. Hertel, “this was skimmed off of it and brought out here, but we thought we're going to try everything we can to find this little girl and that's why we're out here.”

One of the challenges facing detectives is that the trash was compacted twice, once in the garbage truck, and then again at the landfill. Two dozen workers are having to scoop the garbage out of the ground and then spread it out on a flat surface to allow the officers to go through it.

Investigators do say they know they're in the right place however, they've found dated newspapers and addresses on labels that point right back to Jozlynn's neighborhood and the time that she went missing.

“There is other trucks that dump in here, so we're making the best estimates we can,” said Det. Hertel, “and hitting where we should be hitting.”

As the search continues, a candlelight vigil for Jozlynn is being organized. It's scheduled for Saturday night, from seven to ten, at Rosa Parks Circle in Grand Rapids.

Jozlynn's biological father, John Rittenhouse, is putting the event together.

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/margin-1373543-bottom-decoration.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:11 am

its about time they start looking in the landfill, especially considering that they had strong information pointing to her being there!!! are little children not important enough to be looked for when they are thrown out in the trash??
not trying to get off subject, buy maybe they would have found Haleigh Cummings or baby Gabriel had they looked earlier as they did in Somer Thompon's case!! I wish LE would look at what they did in Somer's case and learn to make the landfills a priority immediately after a child goes missing - in the end, the search, while it WAS expensive, it was no doubt LESS expensive because they found her so soon, so they weren't looking for weeks or months for a little body...

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:53 am

Tish, I completely agree with you. I felt they should have started checking the dumpsters and landfills as soon as I read about Jozlynn. I think this should be the first step once an amber alert is issued. I'm afraid little Haleigh may never be found. I hope they can find Jozlynn and at least give the little angel a proper burial.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:43 pm

I agree about making landfill searches an immediate priority when a child goes missing. It seems like many police departments around the country could learn by watching the way Somer's case was handled. Since many cases weren't handled as well as Somer's, we don't have a clue where Haleigh or Baby Gabriel are, and we don't have a clue who killed Nevaeh. I hope the landfill search for Jozlynn isn't too late for them to be able to find her body.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:43 pm

Grand Rapids mother fights to keep her infant son

March 11, 2010 9:16 AM

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – A Grand Rapids mother who tragically lost her two-year-old girl is now fighting to keep her infant son.

Consuela Martinez's seven-month-old son was placed with Child Protective Services when police started investigating the disappearance of her daughter Jozlynn back in February.

Now, Martinez is due in court Thursday afternoon for a custody hearing for her son.

Jozlynn Martinez disappeared in February, her mother's boyfriend, Jeffrey Malmberg, later told police that he killed the two year old and threw her body in the trash.

Grand Rapids Police and FBI agents have been searching the South Kent Landfill looking for any sign of Jozlynn, but they called that search off on Wednesday.

Police say finding Jozlynn's body in the landfill was a long shot, but they had to try.

Malmberg is due back in court in March to see if there's enough evidence for a murder trial.

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/margin-1373665-grand-rapids.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:49 pm

Family, friends of little Jozlynn Martinez gather for vigil at Rosa parks Circle in Grand Rapids

By Kym Reinstadler | The Grand Rapids Press
March 13, 2010, 9:25PM

Jozlynn Mari Martinez Never Found -- Jeffrey Malmberg Convicted Of Second-Degree Murder - Page 2 Consue10

GRAND RAPIDS — About 50 people trying to keep candles lit huddled in Rosa Parks Circle on Saturday night to remember the light Jozlynn Mari Martinez brought into the world.

Jozlynn’s father, John Rittenhouse, who organized the vigil, said he would like to keep believing Jozlynn’s light has not been snuffed out, but hope is fading.

Jozlynn Martinez, 2, has been missing nearly three weeks. Her mother’s live-in boyfriend, Jeffrey Malmberg, has been charged with her murder. Malmberg told police he kneeled on the girl’s chest until she stopped breathing, then disposed of her body in a Dumpster, though an intensive police search of a Kent County landfill did not produce a body.

“It’s tough for me knowing that I wasn’t there for her like I should have been,” said Rittenhouse, who lived most of Jozlynn’s two years in Arizona. “I wish I had stayed here and been active in her life.”

Rittenhouse said he met Malmberg only once. Last July, both were lodged in the Kent County Jail — Rittenhouse for failing to pay child support for an older daughter and Malmberg for violating a personal protection order.

“He was cold,” Rittenhouse said. “He had no emotions.”

Rittenhouse and Connie Martinez, Jozlynn’s mother, stood arm-in-arm during the brief vigil, conducted by The Rev. Sean Letorneau of the Universal Life Church.

“This is so hard to handle because Jozlynn was happy child who never failed to bring a smile to the face of everyone she met,” Letorneau said. “We believe she is with God in a place where she will never be hurt again.”

Several people spoke about the need to protect children, and some were critical of police for calling off their search for Jozlynn’s body.

Martinez did not speak publicly, but said it was soothing to gather and remember Jozlynn.

Donation canisters have been placed at a few area businesses for funeral expenses.

The family hopes to ceremonially bury some of Jozlynn’s favorite things, although no date has been set, Rittenhouse said.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/03/family_friends_of_little_jozly.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:48 pm

I would NEVER bury my children's belongings if they were missing or murdered - NEVER NEVER NEVER - this doesn't even make good sense!!!
I can sympathize with having vigils, and even a memorial service - but I cannot understand wanting to bury my child's belongings... that would personally not bring me closure - i would keep the favorite things - and some other things I might donate to a hospital or something - but I couldn't just bury them... I don't know why i have a problem with this, but it just doesn't sit well with me...

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:37 pm

I gave Brian's clothes to his friends and kept a few of them for myself...It feels good to wear them and keep them close...I have his teddy bear "Pepto" on my bed...we've been through a lot together...I could never bury his clothes...or other mementos...It would be like getting rid of HIM and his memory...WHy would one want to get rid of the memory of a loved one??? There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him...Yes it is painful at times, but after all he was a part of ME...and I loved him and don't ever want to forget him...
Estee
Estee

Mood : Neener

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Police search sewer catch basins near home of missing 2-year-old Jozlynn Martinez

By Brian McVicar The Grand Rapids Press
March 22, 2010, 3:18PM

GRAND RAPIDS -- Police and city workers today are searching sewer catch basins near the Northwest Side home of missing 2-year-old Jozlynn Martinez, who police believe was killed by her mother's live-in boyfriend on Feb. 22.

Detectives said no specific clues sparked today's search, but they want to "cross the t's and dot the i's" in the investigation.

Police have said they believe Jeffrey Malmberg, 40, killed Jozlynn and disposed of her body in a Dumpster nearby the home he shared with Jozlynn's mother, Consuela Martinez, at 915 Nagold St. NW. Officers say Malmberg admitted to putting his knee on the girl's chest until she stopped breathing. He is jailed on a charge of second-degree murder.

Police have also sifted through trash at the South Kent Landfill and at the Kent County Waste-to-Energy incinerator, but they have been unable to find the girl's body.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/03/police_search_sewer_catch_basi.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:19 pm

if they do find her in the sewer, then he should be charged EXTRA for leading the LE in the wrong direction by steering them towards the city dump!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:51 am

Man to face judge in girl's disappearance

March 30, 2010 8:23 AM

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – A man who is accused of killing a 2-year-old girl will face a judge Tuesday.

Jozlynn Martinez disappeared from her Grand Rapids home just over a month ago. A few days later the man police believe took her told them the little girl was dead.

A judge will decide if there is enough evidence to send Jeffery Malmberg to trial for the death of Jozlynn Martinez.

Jeffrey Malmberg is charged with second degree murder, larceny and tampering with evidence. Police say he told them he kneeled on the little girl until she stopped breathing and then threw away her body.

At this point all police have to go on is Malmberg's word. They've dug through tons of garbage and waded through sewers but there is still no sign of Jozlynn's body.

We are expecting to hear some of the evidence prosecutors have against Malmberg and a judge will decide if there is enough evidence to send the case to trial.

We will be in court and will let you know as soon as a decision comes down.

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/mich-1374480-disappearance-newschannel.html
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:19 pm

Mother of Jozlynn Martinez testifies boyfriend used cocaine night of toddler's murder

March 30, 2010, 11:13AM

GRAND RAPIDS - Consuela Martinez this morning said she and her boyfriend, accused in the death of Martinez's 2-year-old daughter, argued for about an hour the day her daughter went missing and he used cocaine that evening.

Martinez testified this morning during a probable cause hearing for Jeffrey Malmberg, 40, charged with second-degree murder in the death of Jozlynn Martinez.

Malmberg allegedly admitted to police he put his knee on the chest of Jozlynn until she stopped breathing about 6:30 p.m. Feb. 22, then put the girl into a garbage bag and into a nearby Dumpster. Detectives spent days scouring landfills for her body.

Martinez today said the two argued about 4:30 p.m., then later "made up" and started talking. About 5:30 p.m., she went to pick up her tax refund and left Malmberg alone with the children.

Later, at about 9:30 p.m., Malmberg bought and used cocaine, sharing it with Consuela
Martinez's brother and his girlfriend, Consuela Martinez testified. Everyone went to bed about 2 a.m. after the cocaine ran out.

Martinez did not explain what the two argued about.

In court today, relatives of Jozlynn wore T-shirts with the wording "We miss our angel. Jozlynn" with a photo of the girl.

Martinez testified that on the morning of Feb. 23, she discovered Malmberg and her daughter both missing. Later after police arrested him in Lansing, she met with him, first at the Grand Rapids police station and later at the Kent County Jail.

Prosecutors played a recording today of the jail conversation.

"So what actually happened?" Martinez asked him.

"She fell down the stairs. I did CPR for a couple of minutes. I flipped out," he said.

Martinez saiid she suspected Malmberg was lying because Jozlynn hated going down the stairs after falling once before. If she did go down, she scooted on her butt, she said.

While Consuela Martinez, her brother, Reggie Martinez and his girlfriend, Tia Ranall, all were in the house in the later evening hours of Feb. 22, none of them checked on Jozlynn in her bedroom.

Reggie Martinez testified he believed she was there, because Malmberg went in to say goodnight about 10:30 p.m. and he heard the rustling of the plastic cover on the girl's mattress.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/03/mother_of_jozlynn_martinez_tes_1.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:11 pm

so we're supposed to believe that everyone in the house was doing coke except for the mother?? I find it odd that she excludes herself from the list of ppl that were doing coke... and I'm not sure I believe that she wasn't doing it either - it sounds to me like it was her tax refund that bought the coke. Didn't she say at first that her tax check was stolen?? and now we find out that she cashed it and friends and family (but NOT her) snorted it away...
I'm convinced that they have the right guy, but I have some serious problems with this woman's credibility. I also think there is a conflict in the timeline - but I'll have to sit down and work that out before I foolishly state something that's false... there is something in the mothers timeline that doesn't add to me...

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:51 pm

I think Consuela said Malmberg stole cash out of her purse that was leftover from her tax refund. It wouldn't surprise me if she cashed the refund check and gave him cash to buy coke, and then the next morning, he took off with the rest of the cash from the refund. I would hope that people would use their huge refunds from the Earned Income Credit to do something other than buy drugs, but that's probably where the drug money came from.

Tish, I'm interested to see what you come up with from the mother's timeline. If I have time, I'll try to slap one together real quick tomorrow if you haven't had a chance to do it by the time I get home from work.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:44 am

Confession of accused murderer played in court

March 30, 2010 5:24 PM

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – A West Michigan man will stand trial on murder charges for the disappearance of a toddler.

Two-year-old Jozlynn Martinez hasn't been seen since February 22nd. Detectives say Jeffrey Malmberg has admitted to killing her and disposing of her body.

Tuesday saw testimony from Jozlynn's mother and a taped confession from Malmberg.

The big news to emerge on Tuesday was the fact that Jozlynn's murder happened around 6:00 pm in the evening that Monday in February, a full 15 hours before her mother noticed she was missing.

Consuela Martinez, Jozlynn's mother, says she left her kids with Malmberg to run an errand on that night around 6:00 pm. She said she was gone a short time, and when she came home she didn't notice her daughter was missing, and didn't check on her.

Martinez said she thought Malmberg had put Jozlynn to bed, and even fooled her by acting like he was talking with the girl.

“He had the door open and he sat at the end of the bed,” said Martinez, “told her, 'you gotta go night night, love you, night night.”

Prosecutors believe that Jozlynn was killed while her mother was gone, but initially Malmberg only admitted to dumping her body in the trash.

Malmberg stuck to his story that Jozlynn had fallen down the steps and that he dumped her body in the trash, but Martinez didn't believe it.

“Jozlynn didn't like to go down the stairs,” said Martinez. “She fell down them once, she wouldn't even, she didn't like holding the rail to go down them, I always had to pick her up and take her.”

After nine interviews with police, Malmberg admitted to suffocating Jozlynn by putting his knee on her chest.

What has struck many as outrageous is the way Malmberg acted after killing Jozlynn, going to buy drugs, cocaine and marijuana, and having a bit of a party inside the apartment as if nothing had happened.

Martinez says she was part of that party for only a short time, and only smoked marijuana, no cocaine. Ultimately she says she went to bed thinking that her daughter was sleeping while others shared the drugs.

The most emotional moment of Tuesday's hearing came when a recording of Malmberg's confession was played in court.

“I put my knee on her chest,” said Malmberg in that confession. “I restrained her and I got up on my knee and put a little pressure on it.”

Malmberg says he was trying to restrain Jozlynn because she was acting out, he says she was crying, screaming, kicking, and punching him in her room next to her toy box.

Malmberg says he wanted Jozlynn to calm down and thought putting his knee on her chest would do the trick, he said he did that for up to 45 seconds.

“She just started gasping for air and her breathing slowed down, and then there was no life in her,” said Malmberg in the confession. “She was staring up at me with open eyes. I held her for a couple of minutes, put her in her bed and covered her up.”

Malmberg said Jozlynn's death was an accident, and told detectives he put her back in her bed because he was scared.

When the recording of Malmberg's confession was played in court, people began weeping. Friends and family of Martinez later expressed their outrage.

“I was really furious, I wanted to jump across the table and break his neck to be honest” said family friend Cheryl Paulsen. “That just broke my heart, how could you not think putting a knee on the chest of child is not going to hurt it? It's a baby.”

Malmberg's defense attorney is likely going to try to have that confession thrown out as evidence.

Newschannel 3 has been told that Malmberg's trial is likely going to happen over the summer.

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/margin-1374509-bottom-style.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:35 am

"Mom" originally states she tucked Jozlynn in at 11pm and told her she loved her. Boyfriend states he killed her at 6:30pm.......
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:20 am

Does it really matter??? He killed her, even if it was an accident and he panicked by not calling 911...NO EXCUSE!!! It just makes me sooo MAD!!!
Estee
Estee

Mood : Neener

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:01 am

I just don't think it was an accident, he had hurt her before. I also question the Mom in this as well. Her original statement about it not being unusual that Jozlynn was not in bed at 9am, that Malmberg would take her on errands with him just didn't sit right with me.
And if he states this happened at 6:30, Mom says she tucked her in at 11pm...one or both of them are lying. It's hard to believe she didn't see or wonder about her two year old for that long of a period of time.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:18 pm

Mother of girl allegedly killed by boyfriend agrees to treatment plan, waiting months for decision on custody of other child

April 17, 2010, 6:55AM

GRAND RAPIDS -- Consuela Martinez, the 21-year-old mother whose boyfriend allegedly killed her 2-year-old daughter in February, must wait at least 90 days to see if the state will reunite her with her surviving 8-month-old son.

Martinez agreed Friday to participate in a treatment plan to better her parenting skills, prevent substance abuse in her life, make a safe home and develop a supportive network of family and friends.

Child Protective Services placed Bryan Malmberg in foster care after Martinez's live-in boyfriend, Jeffrey Malmberg, allegedly killed 2-year-old Jozlynn Martinez out of frustration because she was crying and kicking.

Malmberg was watching the two children alone Feb. 22 in the Nagold Street NW home he shared with Martinez. After her death, he placed the girl's body in a garbage bag and put it in a Dumpster.

Malmberg relinquished his parental rights to Bryan earlier this week. He is awaiting trial for second-degree murder in Jozlynn's death. Her body has not been found.
During a Friday review hearing, Martinez admitted several allegations against her used by CPS to remove Bryan from her home. Among those were her concerns about minor injuries Jozlynn sustained earlier while in Malmberg's care, but that she didn't report; knowing people living at her home used marijuana and cocaine; using marijuana herself; not taking medications for a bipolar condition and post-traumatic stress disorder; and allowing Jozlynn's father to stay with her in March, despite knowing his rights to another child were terminated.

But Jessica Conway, a foster care caseworker with Bethany Christian Services, said Martinez has made efforts to improve her life in recent weeks.

She tested clean on three drug tests and attended supervised weekly parenting sessions with Bryan without fail.

Still, she said Martinez needs to work on keeping a safe home -- Conway witnessed Martinez's new dog, a Rottweiler-pit bull mixed breed, urinate on the floor of her home -- and needs to work on getting a job.

Conway said Martinez has not worked since late last year and has no income.

The treatment plan for Martinez involves a substance abuse assessment, psychological assessment, parenting education, domestic violence education and other services.

Meanwhile, Bryan Malmberg will remain in foster care or possibly be placed with a great aunt and uncle deemed to be safe caregivers.

Kent County Circuit Judge Nanaruth Carpenter said the goal of the treatment plan is to reunite Martinez with her son and allow them to live together.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/04/mother_of_girl_allegedly_kille.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+grpress+%28The+Grand+Rapids+Press+Latest+News+%7C+MLive.com%29
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Mon May 24, 2010 2:57 pm

In jailhouse interview, Jeffrey Malmberg, accused killer of Jozlynn Martinez, 2, says girl's mother has 'been through enough'

By Barton Deiters | The Grand Rapids Press
May 24, 2010, 10:35AM

Jozlynn Mari Martinez Never Found -- Jeffrey Malmberg Convicted Of Second-Degree Murder - Page 2 Gr031210

GRAND RAPIDS -- Jeffrey Malmberg sits in solitary confinement at the Kent County Jail, still entertaining hope he will be reunited with the mother of the girl he is accused of killing and dumping in the trash.

On Sunday, Malmberg talked to The Press at the jail as he awaits trial on second-degree murder for the Feb. 22 slaying of 2-year-old Jozlynn Martinez.

Jozlynn's mother, Consuela Martinez, also is the mother of Malmberg's 9-month-old son Bryan, who was removed from the home after the slaying and remains in state care.

"I love Connie and my son more than anything," Malmberg said. "I know she's not very happy with me right now."

Malmberg gave up his rights to the boy, and Martinez has been trying to get him back after it was revealed in court she knew Malmberg was using drugs in the house and she also suspected abuse of the little girl.

Malmberg said his ex-girlfriend is a great mother.

"They need to leave her alone," said Malmberg, who described his anger at seeing a "$4,000 camera right in her face" at one of his court hearings. "She's been through enough."

Malmberg, who requested the interview, complained he has been kept away from other prisoners and denied such things as a change of clothes and stationery, which he would use to write Martinez.

He said no one is supporting him or helping him out by putting money into his commissary account. He angrily denounces the way his adopted father, Bob Malmberg, said he didn't believe his son's story about what happened the night Jozlynn died.

"My only family is Connie and Bryan," Malmberg said.

The last time Martinez visited Malmberg, who is jailed on a $1 million bond, was days after the alleged incident.

She emerged from the visit 30 minutes later, crying and clearly frustrated by a fruitless meeting with Malmberg, 40, in which he refused to reveal any new information about what had happened to Jozlynn.

"I can't believe he would do something like this," the sobbing 21-year-old said outside the jail's visitor entrance.

Prosecutors say they have a recorded police interview with Malmberg in which he admitted putting his knee on the little girl because she was "kicking, screaming and punching" him.

Police say Malmberg said he put his knee on her chest to restrain her and pressed down for 30 to 45 seconds, then let up. Soon, she started "gasping for air and her breath slowed down" and she died, police say Malmberg admitted.

On Sunday, Malmberg refused to say anything about the crime other than that there was more to the story than is being told.

He was in Kent County Circuit Court on Thursday where he learned the Kent County prosecutor's office would be making no plea offer. Malmberg said he expects the case will end up before a jury.

On Sunday, he continued to say how much he cared for Jozlynn, saying he, not the girl's biological father, was the girl's real father.

"I've been with her since she was 8 months old," he said.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/05/in_jailhouse_interview_jeffrey.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:45 am

Malmberg Trial To Begin Monday
Accused of killing 2 year-old Jozlynn Martinez

Lauren Unger FOX 17 News Reporter
8:20 p.m. EDT, October 3, 2010

GRAND RAPIDS —
Jury selection is set to begin Monday for the accused killer of 2-year-old Jozlynn Martinez.

40-year-old Jeffrey Malmberg is accused on kneeling on the toddler's chest until she stopped breathing, then disposing of her body in the dumpster. Martinez is the daughter of Malmberg's live-in girlfriend, Connie Martinez. The girl's body was never found despite extensive searches by police.

Read more: http://www.fox17online.com/news/fox17-jozlynn-martinez-death,0,6955050.story?track=rss
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:05 am

I hope they are going to bring up the previous abuse this child suffered at the hands of this disgusting pig. And Jozlynn's mother was aware of it. He didn't care for Jozlynn, he hated her. He beat and murdered her.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:05 pm

Jury seated in Malmberg trial

October 04, 2010 4:59 PM

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – A jury has been selected for a high-profile murder trial.

Jeffrey Malmberg is accused of killing two-year-old Jozlynn Martinez in February. Investigators say Malmberg admitted to killing the girl, but her body has never been found.

On Monday a jury was seated. Seven men and seven women will hear opening statements in the trial on Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.wwmt.com/articles/mich-1382300-newschannel-rapids.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:42 pm

Mother of Jozlynn Martinez, 2, takes the stand in ex-boyfriend's murder trial

Updated: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 3:46 PM

GRAND RAPIDS -- Connie Martinez, testified at ex-boyfriend Jeffrey Malmberg's murder trial, that her daughter, Jozlynn, often threw temper tantrums, frequently hitting, kicking and throwing toys.

However, Martinez, 22, said her 22-pound 2-year-old never needed to be restrained.

"You didn't have to carry her or subdue her in any way," Martinez testified about the girl who liked to sing and dance.

Read more: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/10/mother_of_jozlynn_martinez_2_t.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Police: Conditions of Jozlynn Martinez's home 'were so poor' a child shouldn't live there

Updated: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 3:46 PM

~Snipped~

Officer Jason Horrigan told jurors he took the missing persons report at 915 Nagold St. NW, where Malmberg has admitted to killing the girl.

Horrigan photographed the residence because the "conditions of the home were so poor that a child should not be residing there." The officer said neither Malmberg nor Jozlynn could be found.

Read more: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/10/police_conditions_of_jeffrey_m.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:44 pm

FOX 17 Live Trial Blog

http://www.fox17online.com/fox17-malmberg-trial-blog,0,1081790.htmlstory
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Jeffrey Malmberg: Telling girlfriend her daughter, Jozlynn Martinez, 2, was dead was 'one of the hardest things ... in my life'

Updated: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 12:09 PM
Nate Reens | The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS - Jurors in Jeffrey Malmberg’s murder case are listening to a recording of his admission to police in February that Jozlynn Martinez was dead and he had dumped her in a Northwest Side trash bin.

The 40-year-old Malmberg, on trial in Kent County Circuit Court for second-degree murder, had yet to come clean with investigators about how the 2-year-old girl died, sticking to the story that she fell down a flight of stairs.

Read more: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/10/jeffrey_malmberg_telling_girlf.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:04 pm

Jessica Wheeler of NEWSCHANNEL 3 WWMT has been tweeting live from Malmberg's trial.

http://twitter.com/jessicawheeler3
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:22 pm

Jeffrey Malmberg told police that mother threw away body of 2-year-old girl he killed

Updated: Thursday, October 07, 2010, 5:02 PM

~Snipped~

The method of death - later revealed to be from Malmberg’s knee compressing the girl’s chest - remains the same, but the story varies from Malmberg’s earlier accounts that Connie Martinez had no knowledge of what happened.

Malmberg tells the detectives he was done protecting his girlfriend.

"I took off to protect her. It wasn’t me. I’m taking the heat for her," Malmberg said. "I told her today I was done. Connie was there. I put (Jozlynn) in the bag and Connie was the one who got rid of her."

Read more: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/10/jeffrey_malmberg_told_police_t.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:01 pm

Jurors hear Jeffrey Malmberg confess that he put his knee on chest of Jozlynn Martinez, 2, killing her

Updated: Friday, October 08, 2010, 6:56 PM

UPDATE: Expert: Jeffrey Malmberg likely had to put knee on 2-year-old's chest for minutes, rather than seconds to kill her

GRAND RAPIDS - Jeffrey Malmberg’s confession that he put his knee on the chest of Jozlynn Martinez, killing the 2-year-old girl on Feb. 22, has finally been played for jurors in his second-degree murder trial.

Malmberg explains on the tape recording that his 7-month-old son, Bryan, was crying and that he told Jozlynn to go to her room and play with her toys, touching off the girl’s temper tantrum.

Read more: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/10/jurors_hear_jeffrey_malmberg_c.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:43 am

"I took off to protect her. It wasn’t me. I’m taking the heat for her," Malmberg said. "I told her today I was done. Connie was there. I put (Jozlynn) in the bag and Connie was the one who got rid of her."

Keeps changing his story........ Mad
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Jury finds Jeffrey Malmberg guilty of second-degree murder in death of 2-year-old Jozylnn Martinez

Published: Monday, October 11, 2010, 4:00 PM
Updated: Monday, October 11, 2010, 7:31 PM

GRAND RAPIDS - Jeffrey Malmberg has been found guilty of second-degree murder today following a Kent County Circuit Court jury deliberating for about three hours.

The verdict was just returned and Malmberg now faces up to life in prison on the conviction for killing 2-year-old Jozlynn Martinez on Feb. 22.

Malmberg admitted putting his knee on the chest of the girl, the daughter of his live-in girlfriend Connie Martinez.

Read more: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/10/jury_finds_jeffrey_malmberg_gu.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:15 pm

I pray it is life without parole......please.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:01 am

Man to learn sentence for killing little girl

November 02, 2010 8:28 AM

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - A convicted murderer who killed his girlfriend's 2-year-old daughter learns his sentence today.

Jozlynn Martinez died back in February.

Last month a jury convicted her mother's boyfriend Jeffrey Malmberg of second-degree murder.

Police were never able to find Jozlynn's body.

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/malmberg-1383351-today-sentence.html
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:50 pm

Jeffrey Malmberg sentenced to 30 to 90 years in prison for killing Jozlynn Martinez, 2

Updated: Tuesday, November 02, 2010, 4:26 PM
Barton Deiters | The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- Jeffrey Malmberg will spend 30 to 90 years in prison for killing 2-year-old Jozlynn Martinez on Feb. 22 and tossing the little girl in a Dumpster like she was so much garbage.

"Everything from the age of 3 until she is an adult, I will not be able to share those memories," said Connie Martinez, the mother of the slain child, before Judge Donald Johnston pronounced his sentence Tuesday. "(Malmberg) doesn't have compassion in his body to cry or mourn."

Martinez said Malmberg, her ex-boyfriend and father of her son, gave her with excuses for his behavior and asked that she get a restraining order to keep him from contacting her.

"I'm scared for my son if (Malmberg) gets out," Martinez said. "It's something a parent should never have to go through."

Read more: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/11/jeffrey_malmberg_sentenced_to.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:21 pm

~Snipped~

"Malmberg did himself no favors when he took the stand in his own defense. Malmberg refused to show jurors in his second-degree murder trial how he kneeled on Jozlynn's chest to control the girl's temper tantrum. Malmberg said he couldn't remember his exact moves, only that he was trying to restrain the girl and he put his knee on the left side of her ribcage. He wasn't trying to hurt her, he said."

Of course he wouldn't, because I'll bet that's not what happened! I doubt Jozlynn's death wasn't as "clean" as he claims. He's a murdering liar, baby killer. She had previous injuries........

Thirty to ninety years, when is he eligible for parole? I'm appalled he didn't get life without parole. Another thing, which is JMO, after a little time when Connie's baby boy gets a little older, Miss Connie Martinez will be contacting and visiting Malmberg in prison. She'll tell him she'll wait for him, she's forgiven him.......I've witnessed this firsthand.

Rest in peace, little Jozlynn. I'm so sorry for your pain and suffering for the short precious time you were on this earth.

Jozlynn Mari Martinez Never Found -- Jeffrey Malmberg Convicted Of Second-Degree Murder - Page 2 Angelg10
In precious memory of little Jozlynn Martinez
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:56 pm

Two-year-old son of child murderer Jeffrey Malmberg will not be reunited with his mother

Published: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 11:47 AM Updated: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 12:24 PM

GRAND RAPIDS – The toddler son of a murderer will not go back to his mother's home.

A Kent County Family Court judge decided today that 2-year-old Bryan Malmberg will be available for adoption and will remain in a foster home until he is placed permanently.

The boy is the child of Consuela Martinez and Jeffrey Malmberg who admitted he killed his girlfriend's 2-year-old child Jozlynn on Feb. 22, 2010.

Martinez had left the children in the care of the drug-using father who admitted he placed his knee on the little girl's chest until she stopped breathing.

Read more:
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/07/two-year-old_son_of_child_murd.html
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:06 pm

This certainly won't prevent her from having more children. At least this little one has a chance of growing up in a loving, stable environment. I hope he's adopted by a wonderful family.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2