Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emma Thompson -- Deceased 6/27/09 (Thread #1)

+37
justanopinion
indypeg59
Marica
Freckles
Nene_Please
Gia
rpozos11
katie77092
kellikat
Feefee
BeFound
flutter1
christinem
CindyTx
eva
burekbeba
Calypso
warriorforemma
shccuervo
Jean
khintx
Sad
TigerMom
Spikey
LCoastMom
WantToKnow
FystyAngel
Caylee'sJustice
Serenity
MLR
LuLu-Tx
Cali
Estee
Snaz
Justice4all
Piper
Julie
41 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Emma Thompson -- Deceased 6/27/09  (Thread #1) - Page 3 Empty Re: Emma Thompson -- Deceased 6/27/09 (Thread #1)

Post by LuLu-Tx Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:28 pm

" Abigail Young told neighbors...that she cleaned up the bathroom with bleach before she bothered to attempt to seek medical care for Emma and take Emma to the ER. "

I remember that. Even though it's been over a year, I still can not believe she did that.

And the guy needed a ride from the neighbor so he could be picked up at a nearby fast-food restaurant. How "hinky" is that?

They both need to spend a lot of time behind bars.

LuLu-Tx
LuLu-Tx

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Emma Thompson -- Deceased 6/27/09  (Thread #1) - Page 3 Empty Re: Emma Thompson -- Deceased 6/27/09 (Thread #1)

Post by Ann - Tx Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:43 pm

Ann - Tx wrote:Since early this morning, Emma Thompson's picture has been on the Home Page of KBTX (CBS) - Bryan, Tx. She is the first in the Top Stories category. As other news develops, Emma's story will be moved further down. But for now . . . she is No. 1.

I posted the direct link to the story earlier versus the Home Page.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.kbtx.com/
KBTX Bryan, Tx Home Page

Just checked! A new story came in. Emma got bumped to the right. She is still in the top 2!
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:01 pm

LuLu-Tx wrote:" Abigail Young told neighbors...that she cleaned up the bathroom with bleach before she bothered to attempt to seek medical care for Emma and take Emma to the ER. "

I remember that. Even though it's been over a year, I still can not believe she did that.

And the guy needed a ride from the neighbor so he could be picked up at a nearby fast-food restaurant. How "hinky" is that?

They both need to spend a lot of time behind bars.

Welcome on board, LuLu! Looking forward to discussing Coe's trial with you and others!
What a loser Coe is! He needed a ride? I guess Young even chauffeured him! They deserve each other!

Here is the Link to KBTX (CBS) - Bryan, Tx comment board (comments below the article about Coe's trial that they had on the 7 a.m. news today). It is a direct link to the comments. If you want to read the article click on the title and it will take you to the article.

I hope you and everybody here leaves a comment on KBTX comments. It is very user friendly. Do not have to register and do not have to include e-mail address (I did not).

Type in your nic (I used Ann - Tx) and Location (state, town or county) and type your comment in the box up to 1000 characters. It counts down so you'll know how many characters you have as you type.

When finished click the tiny box (privacy policy) below your comment and submit. KBTX reviews all comments before posting to ensure no vulgar language is posted. Within 30 minutes to a few hours, your comment will be posted on the board.

Hope all on RC will leave a comment on KBTX! Please support Emma! Very user friendly! I left a comment this morning and I happen to be the first one. They are posted with the most current on top.
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:12 pm

One of our local stations just had an update on Coe's jury selection. No jury selected yet. Interesting interview with one of the prosecutor's and one of Coe's attorneys.

Will post the Link as soon as it is up on their site. May be a while. Hope it is a video!
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:26 pm

This is from KPRC (NBC) - Houston, Tx:
~~~~~~~~

Man On Trial In 4-Year-Old's Death

POSTED: Monday, September 13, 2010
UPDATED: 2:40 pm CDT September 13, 2010

HOUSTON -- Jury selection was held on Monday in the trial of a man accused of sexually assaulting and beating a 4-year-old girl.

•SEE IT: Pictures Of Emma Thompson

Emma Thompson was beaten to death on June 27, 2009, after being left alone with her mother's boyfriend. The child's death came three weeks after doctors discovered she had contracted genital herpes.

Her mother's boyfriend, Lucas Coe, was charged with injury to a child.

Emma's mother, Elizabeth Young, was convicted of reckless injury to a child by omission and sentenced to 20 years in prison, which was the maximum punishment.

Read more: http://www.click2houston.com/news/24990121/detail.html
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:39 pm

Okay, here is the video from KTRK (ABC) - Houston. This was on our 4 p.m. News. Katie McCall is covering this case. She covered Young's trial and did an excellent job! I know she'll do an excellent job of covering Coe's trial!

If the video does not come up when you click on the Link, please scroll below the video box and click on the following:
~~~~~~~~~

Trial begins for man accused of raping little girl
Video

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video#global
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Ann - Tx wrote:Okay, here is the video from KTRK (ABC) - Houston. This was on our 4 p.m. News. Katie McCall is covering this case. She covered Young's trial and did an excellent job! I know she'll do an excellent job of covering Coe's trial!

If the video does not come up when you click on the Link, please scroll below the video box and click on the following:
~~~~~~~~~ J4A, please post this video and then delete this message! Thanks!

Trial begins for man accused of raping little girl

Video

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video#global
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:22 pm

This is from our radio station KWHI - AM in Brenham, Tx. which is Abigail Young's hometown. Notice it is mentioned in this article. Excellent article - to the point and geared to our local community.

This was on our local (Brenham area) News at 7:35 a.m., 12 Noon, 5 p.m. and top of the hour.

I will have to copy in its entirity because it won't link direct and by next week it will probably no longer be available.
~~~~~~~~~

LUCAS COE TRIAL BEGINS

(SEPTEMBER 13TH, 2010)
KWHI - AM Brenham, Tx

The trial of Lucas Coe, the man charged in connection to the death of four-year old Emma Thompson began today in a Houston courtroom.

Coe is charged with sexually assaulting Emma Thompson which led to the death of the four-year old girl in June of last year. His one-time girlfriend, 34-year old Abigail Young, a former nurse in Brenham and Brenham native was convicted of a lesser charge of causing injury to a child by omisson in July. She was sentenced to 20 years in prison and ordered to pay a $10,000 fine. She was also ordered to surrender her nursing license.

Coe has been fighting off legal challenges for eight years. He was charged eight years ago of aggravated assault, then he was charged with DWI in Montgomery County. He was also charged with child abuse in Montgomery County in a case that has yet to go to trial.

Lucas Coe in court

Coe was arrested in August of last year, along with Young. Pre-trial hearings were held last week and the jury selection and testimony are expected to begin today. Prosecutors are seeking a life term without parole if convicted.

Coe was charged after the death of Emma Thompson after medical examiners found evidence of sexual abuse after her death. Emma died as a result of some 80 bruises, had a skull fracture and three broken ribs. There were also signs of her being struck in the abdomen.

Source: KWHI - Brenham, Tx Will have to post the Link later. Site is having technical difficulties!

Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:54 pm

This was on our 5 p.m. News. The video shows some beautiful pictues of Emma!

Also shows Coe when he was in handcuffs in the process of being transported to jail on 8-10-09. He has his famous t-shirt on, "It's all fun and games until the cops show up".

During today's jury selection, he has a very nice suit and tie on!
Vast difference from 8-10-09!

This video shows the Justice Center where Coe's case is being tried. Huge building!
~~~~~~~~~

Jury Selection in Rape Trial of 4 Year old Begins

Marci Izard KIAH
September 13, 2010

HOUSTON - Jury selection got underway today in the case against Lucas Coe. The 28 year old is accused of sexually assaulting four year old Emma Thompson before she died from several unexplained injuries last year including bad bruises, a fractured skull and a genital tear that prosecutors say indicates sexual assault.

"The state is going to try to present evidence to the death of Emma and that's not the issue in this case," says Rick Detoto, defense counsel.

The prosecution's case for sexual assault points to the nature of Emma's injuries and the fact that she, her mother and Coe all had genital herpes.

Read more:
http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-coe-assault-story,0,6691763.story
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:56 pm

Ann - Tx wrote:

This was on our 5 p.m. News. The video shows some beautiful pictues of Emma!

Also shows Coe when he was in handcuffs in the process of being transported to jail on 8-10-09. He has his famous t-shirt on, "It's all fun and games until the cops show up".

During today's jury selection, he has a very nice suit and tie on!
Vast difference from 8-10-09!

This video shows the Justice Center where Coe's case is being tried. Huge building! Video & article:
~~~~~~~~~

Jury Selection in Rape Trial of 4 Year old Begins

Marci Izard KIAH
September 13, 2010

HOUSTON - Jury selection got underway today in the case against Lucas Coe. The 28 year old is accused of sexually assaulting four year old Emma Thompson before she died from several unexplained injuries last year including bad bruises, a fractured skull and a genital tear that prosecutors say indicates sexual assault.

"The state is going to try to present evidence to the death of Emma and that's not the issue in this case," says Rick Detoto, defense counsel.

The prosecution's case for sexual assault points to the nature of Emma's injuries and the fact that she, her mother and Coe all had genital herpes.

Read more:
http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-coe-assault-story,0,6691763.story

J4A: Can you post the video? Thanks!
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:01 pm

Ann - I will always help anyway I can as well, don't hesitate to ask....

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:49 pm

Here's a link that has a 13 picture slideshow of Emma. I can't remember if it's been posted yet.

http://www.click2houston.com/slideshow/news/20360317/detail.html
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life
Mood : Musical

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:01 pm

Ann- I left a comment at the kbtx link you posted above.

I signed in as J Lee.

I wrote this:

I pray for Justice for Emma. She did not deserve the torture she was put through, she did not deserve to have her own mother look the other way and pretend nothing was happening to Emma. Emma should have had a happy childhood filled with love, laughter, friends, little girl dreams. She should have been protected by her own mom. She should have been #1 in her mom's life.
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life

Back to top Go down

Post by sitemama Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 pm

Ann I also left a message just now. J Lee's hasn't posted yet, and I posted as RC's mama. Well, that's who I am.

I don't know what I said, I didn't make a copy of it, but you can see it later.
sitemama
sitemama
Admin

Mood : Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:43 pm

KBTX (CBS) - Bryan, Tx now has a video included with their article. The video is of the 6 p.m. News. There are some beautiful pictures of Emma! I think they did an excellent job of putting the video together for the Newscast!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

KBTX - Bryan, Tx
Updated: 6:52 PM Sep 13, 2010

Trial Begins Against Lucas Coe Accused in Rape of Emma Thompson

For eight years, accused child rapist Lucas Coe fended off a bevy of criminal charges that until today had little chance of keeping him behind bars.

Posted: 8:47 AM Sep 13, 2010
Reporter: Houston Chronicle

For eight years, accused child rapist Lucas Coe fended off a bevy of criminal charges that until today had little chance of keeping him behind bars.

There was a 2002 aggravated assault in Harris County, a DWI conviction that left him without a driver's license, a Montgomery County assault charge, the two times he was jailed for probation violations and in 2007, a Montgomery County child abuse charge that even now has yet to go to trial.

Monday, though, he is on trial — this time charged with sexually assaulting 4-year-old Emma Thompson who died in June 2009, the result of multiple unexplained injuries. Coe, 28, is not charged in her death.

Emma's mother, former registered nurse Abigail Young, already is in prison. A jury in July convicted her of "reckless" injury to a child. Young, who according to court testimony, left Emma's father for her handyman paramour Coe, was sentenced to 20 years in prison and is eligible for parole in five years.

Read more: http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/102770364.html
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 am

Piper wrote:Ann - I will always help anyway I can as well, don't hesitate to ask....

Thank you, Piper! Awesome! I did not know you knew how to do that! There are real pros on Reality Chatter! If you see my notation to J4A and know how to do whatever, please post it. Thanks for your help, Piper! Emma is looking down from Heaven and flashing her beautiful smile at us! To you, Piper: Emma Thompson -- Deceased 6/27/09  (Thread #1) - Page 3 541830
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:11 am

Julie wrote:Ann- I left a comment at the kbtx link you posted above.

I signed in as J Lee.

I wrote this:

I pray for Justice for Emma. She did not deserve the torture she was put through, she did not deserve to have her own mother look the other way and pretend nothing was happening to Emma. Emma should have had a happy childhood filled with love, laughter, friends, little girl dreams. She should have been protected by her own mom. She should have been #1 in her mom's life.
Beautiful, Julie! Thank you for showing your support for Emma on KBTX - Bryan!
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:14 am

sitemama wrote:Ann I also left a message just now. J Lee's hasn't posted yet, and I posted as RC's mama. Well, that's who I am.

Thank you, sitemama! They probably won't post until tomorrow morning. However, I have posted at 9 or later on occasion and sometimes after the 10 p.m. News they will post some of the comments. Check it in the a.m.
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:09 am

Ann, I couldn't get that last video to embed. Adorable pictures of Emma. I know you're at the courthouse right now.......Justice for little Emma!!
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:36 am

Sorry if I post repeats.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trial to begin for man accused of raping toddler

Monday, September 13, 2010
Katie McCall

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The trial starts for the man charged with repeatedly raping four-year-old Emma Thompson. Jury selection for Lucas Coe comes two months after a jury found his ex-girlfriend Emma's mother, guilty of failing to protect her child from Coe.

Lucas Coe is charged with the aggravated sexual assault of a child. Prosecutors say Coe physically and sexually abused Emma, who died from her injuries last year.

The nature of Emma's injuries will make it difficult for the jury to hear testimony. Emma died in June 2009 of multiple injuries. They included more than 80 bruises, a skull fracture, a lacerated pancreas and genital injuries. When paramedics began working on Emma, she was already unconscious.

Read more: (link has a video)
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7663134
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:39 am

Emma rape trial opens today
Mother's boyfriend is accused in attack on 4-year-old girl who later died

By TERRI LANGFORD
HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Sept. 13, 2010, 6:28AM

There was a 2002 aggravated assault in Harris County, a DWI conviction that left him without a driver's license, a Montgomery County assault charge, the two times he was jailed for probation violations and in 2007, a Montgomery County child abuse charge that even now has yet to go to trial.

Today, though, he is on trial — this time charged with sexually assaulting 4-year-old Emma Thompson who died in June 2009, the result of multiple unexplained injuries. Coe, 28, is not charged in her death.

Read more:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7198047.html
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:43 am

sitemama wrote:Ann I also left a message just now. J Lee's hasn't posted yet, and I posted as RC's mama. Well, that's who I am.

Mama, here's both of ours:

Posted by: RC's mama on Sep 13, 2010 at 09:31 PM

I can't understand why neither mom or POS boyfriend were not charged with this precious baby's death. I think mom got 20 years, but will probably be out in 5. He could be sentenced to Life but when will he be eligible to get out, 10 years????? Can LE come back later and charge them with the death of Emma? I sure hope so.
[ Report Abuse ]

"51844351"
Posted by: J Lee on Sep 13, 2010 at 08:59 PM

Here's the link if anyone else wants to comment:

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/102770364.html?storySection=comments
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:52 am

These latest videos just aren't cooperating, are they? I hate it when the embed code won't work.....

Coe wasn't supposed to be around his own daughter unsupervised and that is not allowed to be brought up during the trial. That is so wrong.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by sitemama Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:03 am

Piper, I have always wondered why the State can't tell all the things about the perp that would help convict them, especially if it is something that he has already been to court about.

When Kim's husband was tried for her murder, they could not mention that he had already been tried twice and found guilty of breaking down her door, and beating her to the point she had to go to the hospital. And one time he had taken his knife off his belt, and cut his own 2 y/o son across the side to prove to Kim how tough Chris was. That took 27 stitches to close. The cut was not very deep, but was just really long.

Were not allowed to mention any of this during the murder trial. But the defense could put on witnesses showing what a loving father he was, NOT, and what a loving and giving person he was, testified to by his new girlfriend.
sitemama
sitemama
Admin

Mood : Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:19 am

That's just sickening, Mama. I don't understand it either. People get up there and lie to save these sorry SOB's but facts and prior convictions can't be admitted!!
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:25 am

Piper wrote:
Coe wasn't supposed to be around his own daughter unsupervised and that is not allowed to be brought up during the trial. That is so wrong.

That just makes no sense. It has to do with the same type of crime, he isn't to be trusted around children. I could see something unrelated not being brought up, but not this.
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:26 am

sitemama wrote:Piper, I have always wondered why the State can't tell all the things about the perp that would help convict them, especially if it is something that he has already been to court about.

Same thing, Mama, yours is a good example too. Why aren't related situations allowed to be brought up? Makes no sense!
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:11 pm

Opening statements in Lucas Coe Trial

9/14/2010

Video:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=7667205
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:17 pm

Prosecutor: Man raped 4-year-old girl before her death

By BRIAN ROGERS HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Sept. 14, 2010, 12:52PM

Prosecutors this morning said Lucas Coe raped 4-year-old Emma Thompson shortly before her June 2009 death from abdominal trauma that included a severed pancreas.

"The defendant shoved an object or his male sexual organ into that poor child and ripped her apart," Assistant Harris County District Attorney Tina Ansari told jurors during her opening statements.

Shouting as she pointed at Coe, Ansari told jurors they would convict him of super-aggravated sexual assault of a child, "You will say to Lucas Coe, 'You did this! You are guilty! You are guilty! You are guilty!'"

Read more:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7200347.html
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks Piper, I just found those 2 articles too.
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:13 pm

Here's an article that has the same video that Piper posted.

Opening statements in toddler rape case

Updated at 12:29 PM today
Katie McCall

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Lawyers gave their opening statements in the aggravated sexual assault trial of Lucas Coe. He is accused of repeatedly raping four-year-old Emma Thompson, who died last year as a result of the abuse.

Read more:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7667204
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:36 pm

Experts testify in toddler rape case

Updated at 05:13 PM today
Adela Uchida

~Snipped~

Two nurses took the stand Tuesday morning. One of them was Karolyn Swann, the charge nurse at Memorial Hermann: The Woodlands. She was on duty at the hospital on June 27, 2009 -- the night Emma was brought to the ER and died. Swann told the prosecution the preschooler was bruised and unconscious. But defense, on cross, asked if medical treatment could have caused Emma's bruises.

The defense asked, "It's not uncommon for there to be bruising even serious injuries from CPR?"

Swann responded, "No."

Coe's defense says the four-year-old was not sexually assaulted, despite injury to her genitals and a case of herpes.

Van Buren said, "It's never been our claim that there was not a vaginal injury. It's our claim that the vaginal injury was not part of a sexual assault."

Coe himself sat expressionless as the prosecution called its witnesses. Crime scene investigator Mark McElvaney described what he found at the girl's house the morning after she died -- blood spots and smears through the two story house. He also described a second visit to the home in July 2009, to go through garbage found in the garage, including a pair of toddler girl's underwear.

Read more: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7667794
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Mood : Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:39 pm

Emma Thompson Rape Trial Begins

Marci Izard KIAH
3:39 PM CDT, September 14, 2010

HOUSTON - Opening statements began today in the sexual assault case against Lucas Coe.

Coe, 28, is accused of raping four year old Emma Thompson before she died of unexplained injuries including a fractured skull, severed pancreas and tear to the vagina, on June 27, 2009.

The prosecution argued bruises all over Emma's body are signs she was being abused. And Harris County Assistant District Attorney Tina Ansari said Emma, her mother and Coe all had Genital Herpes.

Read more: http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-coe-trial-story,0,499165.story
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:22 pm

Updated at 07:48 PM today

Adela Uchida

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The man accused of brutally beating and sexually assaulting little Emma Thompson is on trial. A lot of people remember the four-year-old's death last summer because of the heinous nature of the crime and the fact that Emma's own mother was charged in connection with her death.

The first day of testimony got underway with two nurses and a crime scene investigator, as the prosecution tries to prove that Lucas Coe sexually assaulted four-year-old Emma Thompson.

"You are guilty, you are guilty, you are guilty," prosecutor Colleen Barnett told the jury.

Read more:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7667794

Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:55 pm

Julie, Justice 4All, Piper (in alphabethical order)

Thank all of you for the updates! Awesome job! I will write a brief commentary about today's trial in a short while. I've only been home for 2 hours and I have some things I need to do.

I will be at the trial tomorrow, Thursday and Friday for sure.

Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:32 am

RE: Lucas Coe Trial - Emma Thompson Case: Houston, Harris County, Tx - Attended by Ann Tx

Lucas Coe is brought into the Court Room shortly before the Jury is brought in. He had a suit and tie on and was not shackled.

The trial is expected to conclude one day next week probably mid week.

There are 9 males and 3 females on the jury with two female alternates.

There are 3 very large screens in the court room and all 3 are viewable by the spectators. Two are viewable by the Jury. These screens are used in conjunction with an overhead projector.

Witnesses that are going to testify are not allowed in the Court Room.

The presiding Judge is sharp! I am very impressed! I can tell he is an experienced judge.

There are two female Prosecutors representing the State of Texas (Harris County District Attorney's Office). They are seeking justice for Emma Thompson! They are very impressive, sharp and intelligent. They definitely know Emma's case and know it well. Their line of questioning is rapid fire and they have their thought process together. They are not reading their questions from a prepared list.

Lucas Coe is represented by two male attorneys. What can I say!

There is no doubt in my mind they are trying to create reasonable doubt. Actually, if I was on that jury, I would view it as an insult to my intelligence! The statement that Emma was not sexually assaulted and the implication that she received her severe vaginal injuries as a result of straddling is ludicrous as far as I am concerned!

The trial started with the Opening Statements by the State of Texas (Harris County District Attorney's Prosecutors) followed by the Defense's Opening Statements.

The Prosecutor did an outstanding opening statement! I am sure you have read the articles and saw the videos that were posted today. These are some of the things probably not mentioned by the media:

June 19 and 20, 2009 Lucas Coe and Abigail Young went on a beach trip.

June 24 and 25, 2009, Coe left and stayed with his sister.

On Friday, June 26, 2009, Coe returns to Young's home.

We all know Emma Thompson died on June 27, 2009.

Emma told her peditrician that "Luke holds me tight." Abby told the doctor that Emma was talking about the handyman that does work at her home sometimes. Abby said he has a 4 year old daughter also named Emma and he was swinging them around in the garage and that is what Emma meant. The inquiry came up as a result of the bruising Emma had in early June.

The Prosecutor described Emma's life as a happy life until April, 2009, when Abigail Young decided she did not want to be a wife and mother and wanted other things. She started an affair with Coe. The Prosecutor described him as someone who did not have a job and had no ambition. Eventually Coe is staying at Young's home 24/7. He took care of Emma while Young went to work and the two other girls caught a bus for school.

If I heard correctly, the defense attorney who gave the opening statement said there was no semen. Apparently he did not review all of the evidence because an expert testified about DNA and there was semen on Emma's red blanket.

The first witness called was a Registered Nurse from Memorial Hermann - The Woodlands. During her testimony, she started crying when pictures were shown and she was asked specific questions regarding the injuries. When they come on duty, they are assigned certain "room's" in the ER. Emma was in Room 11 and that was one of her (the nurse) rooms for the night of 6-27-09.

Pictures were introduced into evidence. Some of the pictures are graphic. Many of us read info about the autopsy report and articles about Emma's injuries. None of that prepared me for what the pictures showed. In my opinion, Emma sustained brutal, horrific injuries. Her abdomen was severely bloated, her little body was covered with over 80 contusions, pictures of her head injury were shown, she had busted lips and that is all I will say about the pictures.

My thoughts were: unbelievable; how could a human being do that to a 4 year old child (barely 4). The media have not described the pictures and neither will I. All I have to say is they will be in my mind for a very long time and I don't know how I'll be able to close my eyes tonight without seeing the horrific pictures of Emma!

The second witness was the Charge Nurse (RN). She was questioned about Emma's injuries also.

Both of these nurses did an excellent job of answering the questions.

The next witness was a Harris County Sheriff's Office Crime Scene Investigator. He took pictures at the hospital of a deceased Emma. Then he went to Young's home. He and other detectives (homicide investigators) were there from about 2:30 a.m. until 8 or 9 a.m. on June 28, 2009. There were many photos introduced into evidence. There was blood splatters throughout various parts of the house. When he first entered, there was a red blanket and pillows from Emma's room along with what appeared to be a sheet. This was located in the entry near the front door.

He was on the stand for a long time . . . answering questions about the scene and the photos he took. In July, he went back to the home and searched for more evidence in garbage bags in the garage. He found a pair of Emma's panties in a garbage bag and some other items.

There was also a syringe. I assume someone will be questioned about it later.

One photo showed a mop, screw driver and cleaning supplies on the bathroom floor.

The next witness was an expert witness and she did the testing on the blood samples, etc. that were submitted for testing. Very impressive witness. Discussed and explained DNA as it applied to the samples. Educational for me!

Semen was detected on the red blanket found in the hall entry. The DNA Semen Profile was consistent with Lucas Coe's DNA.
She went through and discussed numerous samples (evidence from Abigail Young's home) in detail that were submitted for testing.

The three DNA samples she used in testing the samples submitted were from Ben Thompson (Emma's father), Lucas Coe and Emma Thompson.

There were mixtures she discussed and Lucas Coe was a contributor on certain samples.

The last witness for the day was Emma's peditrician. Her testimony was exceptional. She was also the pediatrician for Emma's two sisters and had been since they were born.

Her testimony will continue tomorrow. I'll write about it tomorrow. Also, some media report Abigail Young's 12 year old daughter (11 at the time of Emma's death) will testify tomorrow via video camera. The Judge had a discussion with the attorneys regarding Laura's testimony.

Ben Thompson will testify later in the trial.

The jurors are very attentive and are really paying close attention.

All of the above is my observation and opinion!

It is midnight and I need to call it a night. I have to get up very early tomorrow so I can fight the monster traffic jam to the Justice Center.

Hope all of this make sense. My thought process is not clicking!

Last edited by Ann - Tx on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by MLR Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:48 am

Thanks Ann-TX for the recap of the day! I finally made it over here. I'm glad you are there for Emma!
MLR
MLR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:54 am

MLR wrote:Thanks Ann-TX for the recap of the day! I finally made it over here. I'm glad you are there for Emma!
MLR, you welcome! So glad you came over to visit Emma's thread. For your info, Julie, who posts on The Hinky, started a thread on Eric here. It is a refer back to Val's articles.

Also, your Time Line is posted here with credit to you!
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:04 am

This is from the Houston Chronicle, Houston, Tx There are 2 pictures in the article:
~~~~~~~~~

Trial opens shockingly
Child's horrific injuries described, prosecutor tells Coe: 'You are guilty'

By BRIAN ROGERS
HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Sept. 14, 2010, 10:44PM

Prosecutors on Tuesday wasted no time in opening statements detailing — sometimes loudly — the brutality of the case before the jury, accusing Lucas Coe, the boyfriend of Emma Thompson's mother, of raping the 4-year-old shortly before her June 2009 death from abdominal trauma that included a severed pancreas.

"The defendant shoved an object or his male sexual organ into that poor child and ripped her apart," Assistant Harris County District Attorney Tina Ansari told jurors.

Shouting as she pointed at Coe, Ansari told jurors they would convict him of super-aggravated sexual assault of a child, "You will say to Lucas Coe, 'You did this! You are guilty! You are guilty! You are guilty!' "

The heightened charge means that Coe will not be eligible for parole if he is convicted. Prosecutors have said it is a stricter punishment for a crime that is easier to prove than trying to convict him for the girl's death.

Sitting in a black suit, blue shirt and a tie, Coe, 28, quietly watched Ansari tell jurors that an emergency room nurse will testify that the pre-schooler had a "giant tear to her vagina, not a baby tear, but a giant tear."

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7201204.html
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:23 am

This is from KTRK (ABC) - Houston, Tx. Video included with 2 videos under the video box.
~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The man accused of brutally beating and sexually assaulting little Emma Thompson is on trial. A lot of people remember the four-year-old's death last summer because of the heinous nature of the crime and the fact that Emma's own mother was charged in connection with her death.

The first day of testimony got underway with two nurses and a crime scene investigator, as the prosecution tries to prove that Lucas Coe sexually assaulted four-year-old Emma Thompson.

"You are guilty, you are guilty, you are guilty," prosecutor Colleen Barnett told the jury.

On Day One of testimony in the super aggravated sexual assault trial of Lucas Coe both the prosecution and the defense swiftly made their cases.

Defense attorney William Van Buren said, "Emma Thompson was not sexually assaulted, period."

Two nurses took the stand Tuesday morning. One of them was Karolyn Swann, the charge nurse at Memorial Hermann: The Woodlands. She was on duty at the hospital on June 27, 2009 -- the night Emma was brought to the ER and died. Swann told the prosecution the preschooler was bruised and unconscious. But defense, on cross, asked if medical treatment could have caused Emma's bruises.

Read more:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7667794
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:29 am

Piper wrote:Prosecutor: Man raped 4-year-old girl before her death
By BRIAN ROGERS HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Sept. 14, 2010, 12:52PM

Prosecutors this morning said Lucas Coe raped 4-year-old Emma Thompson shortly before her June 2009 death from abdominal trauma that included a severed pancreas.

"The defendant shoved an object or his male sexual organ into that poor child and ripped her apart," Assistant Harris County District Attorney Tina Ansari told jurors during her opening statements.

Shouting as she pointed at Coe, Ansari told jurors they would convict him of super-aggravated sexual assault of a child, "You will say to Lucas Coe, 'You did this! You are guilty! You are guilty! You are guilty!'"

Read more:
There are 235 comments at this time. May be more later. Worth your time to read at least a few. This is the direct link to the Comments to the article posted above:

http://www.chron.com/disp/discuss.mpl/metropolitan/7200347.html
Houston Chronicle Comments from article posted above
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:46 am

Your post made sense to me Ann. Thanks for giving us a summary and giving us some of the information that was left out of the media articles.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:48 am

Hi MLR and welcome to RC!

Ann ~ I'm so glad you're there to see justice for Emma. I really appreciate the recap of the day. It would be so difficult to view the autopsy pictures. I don't think I would be able to get them out of my head. One question for you - did Coe look at each picture or did he look away?
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:23 am

Ann - thank you for the recap of the trial. You really held my attention and I felt like I was right there with you. I agree, it would be heart wrenching to see those autopsy pictures.
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:51 am

"And we don't know who had herpes first," Van Buren said from the defense attorney's mouth. What a ludicrous statement in regards to a dead little girl that had just turned 4 years old!! barf

I still don't understand why he's not been charged with capital murder.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:56 am

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by LuLu-Tx Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:10 pm

Ann thanks for giving us a first hand account of the proceedings. I can't imagine how horrific the pics must have been.

LuLu-Tx
LuLu-Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi LuLu! Welcome to RC. I haven't found any news updates on the trial so far today, just repeats of opening statements from yesterday. I'm anxious to hear what Ann has to report tonight. Bless her heart for making that trip and giving her time for justice for Emma. Emma Thompson -- Deceased 6/27/09  (Thread #1) - Page 3 643974 Go Ann!!
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Serenity Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:22 pm

This story has touched my heart. Emma is dancing with Jesus in heaven and watching over her other sisters. There are so many cases that bother me including Nixzmary Brown and baby Briana. I am a nurse and this bothers me. It doesn't take a degree to be wise to know that Herpes on the hands, mouth, and vagina is not transmitted by a toilet seat. How can anyone practice as a nurse and care for others the next day when your own child has recently passed away in such a gruesome way? I bet she was ashamed to get arrested at work. I can't judge, but this story is sick! Why is the mother still in jail and not prison? What is up with the appeal I read? She has not accepted the verdict I suppose. I pray justice is served for this precious child's soul. It doesn't matter how, as long as it is done and served to the greatest ability the justice system will allow. Why has a long tail that doesn't end I always heard. Thanks for the updates, I would attend if I could stand it. I don't think I could stand being there. Please keep us posted with all the details! Is Coe just sitting expressionless? Hmph. I wonder if Abby gets all the details in "jail."
Serenity
Serenity

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Welcome Serenity! I don't know if I could sit in the court room either.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next