Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jodi Arias--Trial for the murder of Travis Alexander #29

+12
sitemama
Mylife101
One Wonders
hello clarice
Moosiesmama
yellow bike
CuriousPortlander
18thcenturylady
Freckles
colsnipe
justanopinion
Alessandra_Deux
16 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Jodi Arias--Trial for the murder of Travis Alexander #29 - Page 4 Empty Re: Jodi Arias--Trial for the murder of Travis Alexander #29

Post by colsnipe Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:16 pm

My guess is the vertical take 4 hours. I also believe that the jure is sick and tired of this case. I believe the jury was told it would only take a few weeks for the penalty phase. They have been cooped up since the beginning of this case per her recommendation. I do not believe that they will see the side of the case from Jody side. KN has tried to retry this case is only going to alienate the jury.
colsnipe
colsnipe

Back to top Go down

Jodi Arias--Trial for the murder of Travis Alexander #29 - Page 4 Empty Re: Jodi Arias--Trial for the murder of Travis Alexander #29

Post by Weeziethm Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:22 pm

Cathy ‏@courtchatter  · 55s56 seconds ago  
Jurors will deliberate normal court hours and not Fridays

....my vote is tomorrow (Thursday)

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ · 2m2 minutes ago
Jurors will deliberate around 9ish to 4:30. No FRIDAY

Weeziethm
Weeziethm

Mood : Party

Back to top Go down

Post by Weeziethm Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:24 pm

Cathy ‏@courtchatter · 40s40 seconds ago
When the jury has a question judge Stephens will answer in writing. We will not know. # secrettrial

Weeziethm
Weeziethm

Back to top Go down

Post by Weeziethm Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:28 pm

Cathy ‏@courtchatter · 3m3 minutes ago
We will have 1 hour notice before verdict is read

Weeziethm
Weeziethm

Back to top Go down

Post by colsnipe Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:29 pm

My please forgive my bad spelling and grammar as it is hard to type these messages on RC. I will try to get back to my computer as soon as possible
colsnipe
colsnipe

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:50 pm

Weeziethm wrote:Cathy ‏@courtchatter  · 40s40 seconds ago  
When the jury has a question judge Stephens will answer in writing.  We will not know.  # secrettrial

Say what? It is usual for the jury to notfy the judge, the judge to notify BOTH counsel, AND then for the question to be answered in OPEN COURT. Does not matter the nature/size of the question.... OPEN COURT.
Freckles
Freckles

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:51 pm

colsnipe wrote:My please forgive my bad spelling and grammar as it is hard to type these messages on RC. I will try to get back to my computer as soon as possible
No prob! We got you!! Cool
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by colsnipe Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Iirc I believe that that would fall under open court rules. So in theory, the jury questions will be or should be open to the courts and public. Might have to refer back COA ruling.
colsnipe
colsnipe

Back to top Go down

Post by Weeziethm Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Freckles wrote:
Weeziethm wrote:Cathy ‏@courtchatter  · 40s40 seconds ago  
When the jury has a question judge Stephens will answer in writing.  We will not know.  # secrettrial

Say what? It is usual for the jury to notfy the judge, the judge to notify BOTH counsel,  AND then for the question to be answered in OPEN COURT. Does not matter the nature/size of the question.... OPEN COURT.

I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hence the hashtag "secrettrial". Cell
Weeziethm
Weeziethm

Back to top Go down

Post by colsnipe Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:56 pm

Thanks freckles.
colsnipe
colsnipe

Back to top Go down

Post by Weeziethm Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:56 pm

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ · 12m12 minutes ago
Jurors went to lunch at noon so we will report when they return

Weeziethm
Weeziethm

Back to top Go down

Post by colsnipe Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:02 pm

I think COA ruling should come in to play here. but knowing kn the DT will state it violate jas right to a fair trial. IMO, screw her rights, what about y the victims rights? i say fry the convicted lying murdering 29 stabbing, execution style shooting , throat slashing bi***.
colsnipe
colsnipe

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:18 pm

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 1m1 minute ago

All the jury has returned from lunch #jodiarias

https://twitter.com/hardtruth4real/lists/jodi-arias-trial-live

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 18thcenturylady Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:18 pm

Weeziethm wrote:Cathy ‏@courtchatter  · 55s56 seconds ago  
Jurors will deliberate normal court hours and not Fridays

....my vote is tomorrow (Thursday)

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ  · 2m2 minutes ago  
Jurors will deliberate around 9ish to 4:30. No FRIDAY

I agree with you Wheez...My vote is sometime tomorrow!

18thcenturylady

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:20 pm

https://twitter.com/PTSD33
Scroll down to the description of the pics on the cameras.
Did we see them all?

https://twitter.com/tmhco/media
Click on TAMMY. Her posting shows what the JA's fans are saying.
Evil crap!

https://twitter.com/courtjesterias
Like the photo copy of Motley Crue...
lol.

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Weeziethm Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:36 pm

Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 · 3m3 minutes ago
#jodiarias will go directly to Perryville prison from courtroom if she gets death. If life, could be same day or day after

Laughing tongue bounce newspaper
Weeziethm
Weeziethm

Back to top Go down

Post by Weeziethm Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:46 pm

Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 · 45s45 seconds ago
The #jodiarias verdict when it happens can be seen live by everyone, everywhere here: https://www.youtube.com/fox10phoenix
I will tweet 1 hour warning.

Weeziethm
Weeziethm

Back to top Go down

Post by 18thcenturylady Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:50 pm

I have to say I am disappointed in this jury deciding NOT to deliberate on Fridays. At this point no one can know the feelings of jurors, or how long deliberations may take. I think it is cruel to put the Alexanders through ANY extra days or hours of misery because they might want 'long weekends'!
Additionally, this trial has gone on WAY too long as it is, and I think that decision is completely inappropriate under the circumstances.

18thcenturylady

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:16 pm

https://twitter.com/DoxingRx
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:22 pm

This is funny!
In an attempt to appear small and vulnerable, JA has LOWERED her chair ht.!

Check out the pic!
https://twitter.com/thegoldpatrol/status/570691797581729793/photo/1
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:30 pm

Jan 2013:
Where we have been

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/true-crime/exclusive-jodi-arias-desperate-escape-plan
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by justanopinion Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:33 pm

Freckles wrote:Jan 2013:
Where we have been

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/true-crime/exclusive-jodi-arias-desperate-escape-plan

wow!! but it is the NE
justanopinion
justanopinion

Mood : Angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:33 pm

Why Matt M should be arrested:
Where we have been

https://callsforjustice.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/jodi-arias-murder-trail-special-edition/

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1skq5om
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:34 pm

justanopinion wrote:
Freckles wrote:Jan 2013:
Where we have been

wow!! but it is the NE

Yes... and even they were not duped!
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by yellow bike Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:38 pm

18thcenturylady wrote:I have to say I am disappointed in this jury deciding NOT to deliberate on Fridays. At this point no one can know the feelings of jurors, or how long deliberations may take. I think it is cruel to put the Alexanders through ANY extra days or hours of misery because they might want 'long weekends'!
Additionally, this trial has gone on WAY too long as it is, and I think that decision is completely inappropriate under the circumstances.

Hi 18th, I don't think that the jury is thinking about the Alexander family at this point. We can't know the reasoning behind not deliberating on Friday. I only hope they don't want to rush to get it over with, as it has dragged on way, way too long. Look at how the Casey Anthony jury finished, to enjoy the holiday weekend. We all want Justice for Travis.

That said, I hope for a just verdict TOMORROW!

yellow bike

Back to top Go down

Post by 18thcenturylady Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:51 pm

yellow bike wrote:
18thcenturylady wrote:I have to say I am disappointed in this jury deciding NOT to deliberate on Fridays. At this point no one can know the feelings of jurors, or how long deliberations may take. I think it is cruel to put the Alexanders through ANY extra days or hours of misery because they might want 'long weekends'!

Hi 18th, I don't think that the jury is thinking about the Alexander family at this point. We can't know the reasoning behind not deliberating on Friday. I only hope they don't want to rush to get it over with, as it has dragged on way, way too long. Look at how the Casey Anthony jury finished, to enjoy the holiday weekend. We all want Justice for Travis.

That said, I hope for a just verdict TOMORROW!

Although the job of the jurors is to decide the fate of Jodi Arias, THIS TRIAL IS ABOUT THE VICTIM AND HIS RIGHTS. IMO they darn well should be thinking of the Alexander family.
They now have a job to do, and taking "Fridays off" is selfish and ludicrous as well as irresponsible.
They committed to this task, and had obviously rearranged their lives due to the delays in this trial, etc., and I think that now that we are in the final stretch it is time that justice NOT be delayed any longer.

18thcenturylady

Back to top Go down

Post by Weeziethm Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:58 pm

Cathy ‏@courtchatter · 14s15 seconds ago
Jurors just walked out of the jury room. Looks like afternoon break

Weeziethm
Weeziethm

Back to top Go down

Post by Moosiesmama Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:06 pm

I totally agree, 18th, plus, if I was on that jury I would want to work every day, Saturday included until a verdict is reached. Why put their life on hold one more second than necessary. I don't understand their mindset.
Moosiesmama
Moosiesmama

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Post by Weeziethm Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:07 pm

Moosiesmama wrote:I totally agree, 18th, plus, if I was on that jury I would want to work every day, Saturday included until a verdict is reached. Why put their life on hold one more second than necessary.  I don't understand their mindset.  

Maybe they took a straw poll and saw that they were close and therefore no need for Friday???  crystal ball

Wishful thinking perhaps, but a girl can dream!!!

Last edited by Weeziethm on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weeziethm
Weeziethm

Back to top Go down

Post by justanopinion Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:07 pm

Hopefully, they are not deliberating Friday because they hope to have a decision tomorrow..

lol sorry didn't want to step on toes we must have posted around the same time!! Apologies
justanopinion
justanopinion

Mood : Angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:18 pm

I can imagine the hell the families of the jurors have had to endure.
Not just the holiday screw ups and vacation plans but the daily stuff, too.Stuff like attending meetings at school for your children, giving birthday parties, picking children up from school, making supper after an annoying day in court, etc.. Big meltdowns have to be in their futures...and with school in session, they won't get that chance until summer... Had to have been a living hell.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Moosiesmama Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:24 pm

Weeziethm wrote:
Moosiesmama wrote:I totally agree, 18th, plus, if I was on that jury I would want to work every day, Saturday included until a verdict is reached. Why put their life on hold one more second than necessary.  I don't understand their mindset.  

Maybe they took a straw poll and saw that they were close and therefore no need for Friday???  crystal ball

I so hope you're right.
Moosiesmama
Moosiesmama

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:13 pm

Gold Patrol on today's events:

http://www.spreecast.com/events/the-gold-patrol-jodi-almost-cooked
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:40 pm

Tammy Rose ‏@News20Chopper 4m4 minutes ago

Jury done for the day. No verdict. #JodiArias

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 2m2 minutes ago

Jurors deliberated for 3 hours and 20 minutes today #jodiarias #3rvarias

Last edited by CuriousPortlander on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added tweet)
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:42 pm

Here's where the verdict live stream will be.
http://www.kpho.com/category/224303/...live-streaming

Not in yet to my knowing...

Ian 1

Quote Originally Posted by poisonforfairy View Post
Is it true the verdict will be broadcast live?

I hope I know when and where ahead of time so I can record it.
Here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJg...MNA5sRDnvzmkdg

Go the site and subscribe. It's the Youtube Channel for Fox 10, Phoenix. Troy Hayden, the reporter who did the interview with Arias immediately after she was convicted back in 2013, is based there. He does periodic reports from outside the courtroom on this channel. They are promoting real-time broadcast/coverage of the penalty verdict.

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthread.php?26892-Jodi-Ann-Arias-shot-and-stabbed-her-ex-boyfriend-Travis-Alexander-to-death-%28Part-II%29/page1575
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks, CP. I look forward to owning my life again! Very Happy
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:03 pm

Signing out.
Here is a twitter link:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/jodiarias?f=realtime&src=hash
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:59 pm

Legally Speaking: Who are the jurors deciding the fate of Jodi Arias?

Updated Oct 22, 2014 - 3:35 pm

(Old article, but worth the re-read)

...One female, who appears to be in her 30s, has a B.S. in psychology and favors the death penalty but not in all circumstances. She leans more towards being neutral and would need to take it on a case-by-case basis. She believes the death penalty exists for a reason and that she could be fair.

• One female, who appears to be in her 40s, said she has no opinion about Arias, can form her own opinion in regards to what mental health professionals would say, dates an attorney and that integrity is a big issue with her.

• One female stated she didn't have an opinion on psychologists and assumes they are capable if they are testifying.

(BBM)

Read more:  http://ktar.com/305/1776840/Legally-Speaking-Who-are-the-jurors-deciding-the-fate-of-Jodi-Arias
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:00 pm

Monica Lindstrom ‏@monicalindstrom 4m4 minutes ago

Juror #1 has the BS in psychology @commonsense258 @_LOVEINVAIN @myfoxphoenix @troyhaydenfox10

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:10 am

CuriousPortlander wrote:Monica Lindstrom ‏@monicalindstrom 4m4 minutes ago

Juror #1 has the BS in psychology @commonsense258 @_LOVEINVAIN @myfoxphoenix @troyhaydenfox10

So when Juan was questioning Geffner as to if/why Geffner was continually moving his chair toward juror 1, which Geffner admitted to (!) Juan was asking Geffner to disclose the fact the DT had shared with Geffner the occupation of juror 1 to the "expert"witness.... WOW! Juan is good.... very good. IMO, he could have called a halt to the proceedings, asked for a special hearing, impeached the witness, derailed the trial, and created.... a mistrial! And he did not! But he made his point to the witness and the DT. I sure hope the DT is brought up on charges when this is all over with!!!

Wowsy!. Thanks, CP.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by 18thcenturylady Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:12 am

Weeziethm wrote:

I wish that were so, but I don't think they had a chance to even do that before they gave their schedule to the judge saying they would not be deliberating on Fridays...
I just think that is outrageous. I guess we'll all just have to hope they have a decision sometime today...

18thcenturylady

Back to top Go down

Post by 18thcenturylady Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:14 am

https://www.facebook.com/JuanMartinezProsecutorSupportPage?fref=nf

Last edited by 18thcenturylady on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

18thcenturylady

Back to top Go down

Post by 18thcenturylady Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:47 am

[b]THIS IS A FANTASTIC POST BY A GUEST ON 'REALLY BIG MEAN DOG' BLOG, AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU ALL READ IT.

"Left By The Wayside….Guest Blog by Schaeffer
February 25, 2015

Fair warning and full disclosure: This is a complete about-face from my previous guest blog, but I hope you like it anyway.  I cannot reveal the name of the serial killer I am writing about, and while I understand the natural desire to speculate on his identity, I ask you to please not to do so on this site.  I ask this not to protect his identity, but to protect the identity of his victims and the fragile lives they have tried to build in his wake, some more successfully than others.  Also, I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the Mormon faith, so any misinformation or misrepresentation is entirely accidental, and I apologize in advance.

Prior to this trial starting, I knew nothing about Jodi Arias, Travis Alexander, or the  murder, and I had missed her media blitz entirely (thank God for small favors), and have yet to watch any of her acting gigs (I think she called them interviews), pre- or post-conviction.   Actually, I cannot even recall how I started following the trial, but it was shortly after it began.  Everything I know, or think I know, or have an opinion about relative to this trial has come strictly from the courtroom, and of course blogs and articles culled from the net.

Throughout this trial, I have run the gamut of emotions — shock, anger, outrage, sympathy, fascination, and confusion just to name a few.  I have come to have immense admiration for Juan Martinez, Detective Flores, and especially the family of Travis Alexander who have shown tremendous grace under the most appalling circumstances.  I have been aghast at the actions of the defendant, her family, and the entire defense team, including their paid witnesses.  But following the cross examination of Bishop Parker, I am just sad — sad and weary and disheartened.  And I have a very good reason.

Unfortunately, I knew someone who was unmasked as a serial killer.  Though he was an arrogant, misogynistic, controlling, pissy little man, it didn’t make one think, “Gee, I’ll bet he is the serial killer who has been terrorizing my entire city, I better ring up the police.”  He had a family and friends, a steady job,  was active in community, civic, and church affairs, had no adverse contact with law enforcement — all of which allowed him to elude capture for so long. He was the antithesis of a serial killer, at least according to the generally accepted law enforcement profile.

As you can imagine, everyone who knew him was shocked to learn his true identity, none more so than those who thought they knew him best.  Within a very short period of time, it became readily apparent not only that he was absolutely guilty, but “The Killer” was his true and dominant persona, and “John Doe” was the alter ego, not the other way around.  If he wasn’t murdering someone, he was thinking about it, planning it, or reliving it.  Not a single family member, friend, or co-worker had ANY contact with the killer from the moment of his arrest.  Other than his pastor, the killer was completely abandoned, as well he should have been.  His pastor was understandably quite torn about how to continue to minister to this man, while at the same time ministering to the other members of his congregation who were devastated and confused at this turn of events.  What did the pastor have to offer, and to whom should he offer it?  This is not exactly a topic covered in seminary training.   Eventually the pastor felt he had to make a choice, and he chose the whole over the one. In reality, most of the parishioners would have abandoned his church had he chosen otherwise, as they were all struggling after being betrayed by one of their own.

Shortly thereafter, the minister took a sabbatical and entered an intensive therapeutic counselling program which specialized in caring for members of the clergy who have experienced some sort of crisis of faith.  The minister did not lose faith in God, he lost faith in himself, devastated to think he had been so close to pure evil, had looked it in the eye and spoken to it, yet had not recognized it.  If he had missed something this huge, something that went far past simple sin, how could he know how many little things he had missed amongst his congregation?  This man had not become a minister until midlife; he had cast around for a career, never feeling he was doing the best he could with his life, until he felt a calling to the ministry.  Once he became a minister, however, he was fulfilled and dedicated.  His congregation supported him through the crisis, knowing full well that no one had suspected they had a serial killer in their midst, they had all been fooled by the facade.  However, even after several months of specialized therapy and intense prayer, the pastor decided to leave the ministry entirely, and quietly move away.

It was so sad, and illustrates how impossible it is to fully anticipate or appreciate the collateral damage one person can inflict with a single selfish, perverted act, let alone multiple selfish acts.  Though the minister was not a murder victim in the strictest sense of the word, he was nonetheless victimized by a murderer.  In addition to the victims who died by the murderer’s own hand, the lives of so many others were destroyed.  Obviously, immediate family members of the victims were the most deeply and intimately affected.  Several children, who had been very young themselves when they had a parent murdered by this serial killer, have had lives filled with broken relationships, addictions, criminal behavior, guilt, and loss so overwhelming they have spent and will continue to spend decades in a living hell, never able to escape the horror that is the most defining event in their lives.  Spouses, some of whom were once considered suspects in the murders of their loved ones, lived under a cloud of suspicion for decades, unable to move forward, ostracized by their friends, families, neighbors, and co-workers.  It was one of the most gut wrenching moments of my life to watch the family members give their victim impact statements.  Everyone of them was filled with pure and unadulterated hate, and the arrest gave them no comfort or peace.  It had only answered one question: Who had murdered their loved ones?  They already knew the reason: Just because he wanted to.

BWR wrote in a guest blog that it is easy to lose track of the victims of a crime.  It is also easy to forget that victims come in many forms and suffer in many ways, often alone, especially after the initial flurry of interest dies down.  After the killer’s arrest, his wife and children had to face not only the shock of his identity, but accusations of conspiracy and complicity; could they really have lived with a serial killer all those years and not known?   Had any of his siblings or parents or friends or co-workers known?  Did he have help in the form of a partner?  Had he confided in anyone, maybe his minister?  The answer to all these questions was “no,” but it still didn’t stop the questions and speculations of the public.    There are undoubtedly many, many other unrecognized victims, likely suffering in silence, stoic on the outside, falling apart on the inside.  Like the minister of this killer, they have had their lives destroyed by one man who victimized all of them, though he never actually put his hands on them.

Now, we have witnessed the cross-examination of Bishop Parker.  Because of what I know, I ache for what this experience has done and will do to Bishop Parker.  He had no way of knowing he would one day be dragged into the orbit of this vile, useless excuse for a human being because he once answered a spiritual call.  Will his family and friends stand by him?  Will his faith sustain him?  Will he find the strength to continue to serve his church?  Will he truly believe there was nothing he could have known or done to predict or prevent this death and its ensuing horror?  Will he internalize the blame till it eats away at his soul and destroys who he once thought he was?  Will he lose more than his faith?

The role of a Bishop in the LDS Church is one of great weight.  Because it is a voluntary position, it might seem to be a part time responsibility.  It is much more; as far as I can tell. It is a full time job and then some,  over and above whatever a bishop’s actual paid occupation might be, and usually in increments of five years.  An LDS Bishop oversees a ward, which is a group of several congregations; much more than just one church.  He is responsible for leadership and attending to the spiritual, physical, and emotional needs of his members.  But he is also responsible for many administrative tasks, including record keeping, ensuring proper use and upkeep of church property and facilities, fiduciary management and accountability.

The LDS Church strongly encourages its members to rely upon The Church for virtually every need, tangible and intangible, temporal and spiritual.  Toward that end, each Bishop also has access to special funds, called Fast Funds, which are used to help ward members who are experiencing financial hardship.*  Members may have recently lost a job, incurred unexpected medical expenses, find themselves unable to pay for heating, do necessary home repairs, or any of a myriad of troubles.  In such cases, they are encouraged to turn to The Church for assistance, and it falls to the Bishop to resolve the need.  Given the size of each ward, Bishops undoubtedly find their Fast Funds periodically insufficient.  In such an instance, he may choose to approach individual members to either give an additional monetary amount, or ask them to make an in-kind donation.  But if there is no other option, they may choose to cover the shortfall out of their own pocket.  I read an interview with a Bishop’s wife, who she said during the time he served, at least 20% of their income, over and above their tithing (generally accepted to be 10% of income) went to supporting the ward.  Over the course of five years, that is a significant amount of money, and Bishop Parker has served at least three times, twice for a five year period.  He had non-paying lodgers in his home almost constantly during his service, and it is not inexpensive to accommodate young adults, especially those who have just returned from a mission and have to find jobs and housing, tasks that takes time — and money.

The LDS Church holds that Bishops are endowed with a special gift of discernment.  They interview individuals to determine what roles they might fill within The Church (various committees, etc.) and assess their worthiness for missionary work or attending Temple.  This gift also, according to Church teachings enables them to see what is in the hearts of their ward members, to recognize their sins and failings, to help guide them back to the teachings and values of The Church when they have stumbled.   Like any religion, there is a recognition that everyone falters, thus there are guidelines in place for acknowledgment and penance.  Someone who has broken one or more of The Church’s covenants, or has broken the same covenant more than once, may face a loss of temple worthiness, disfellowship, or excommunication.  If an individual Bishop feels he cannot properly address a member’s transgressions, he may convene a disciplinary council, or if it is an unlawful crime, he may access Church resources at a higher level.

The Bishop also serves as a confessor, and as such operates under the protection of a confessional seal.  The Mormon Vow of Chastity** is very clear, very restrictive, and leaves no leeway for loose interpretations, despite what WOBO and her minions tried to sell to the jury and the public.  In the Mormon religion, pre-marital sex is a sin, but it is NOT a crime, and should never have been a part of this trial.  The defense tried to make it seem Travis was an anomaly for breaking his Vow.  I would suggest what made Travis an anomaly was his willingness to confess his sins, and to accept and perform his penance, knowing that  having made the same mistake more than once exposed him to significant consequences, which is far more than WOBO ever did.

How is it even possible to devise a legal strategy that is nothing more than an unwarranted, blistering attack on a man who:

1. Has serves his church “24/7″ as an unpaid leader

2. Allowed his house to be used as a youth hostel with a revolving door

3.  Organized numerous social and church activities to keep members involved with The Church and away from outside influences, (of which they are inordinately frightened)

4.  Supported and guided countless young adults finding their way in the world, a

5.  Continues to defend and minister to a man now dead at the hands of a confessed murderer?

You see, this is a REAL list to consider.

I am neither a Bible banger or prude, but I do have morals, ingrained decency, and a strong sense of right and wrong.  I would strap myself down and stick the final needle into my own arm before I would sit by and watch a spiritual leader of my church be subjected to the insulting and completely unfounded accusations and innuendos of Nurmi’s cross examination.  Nurmi’s insistence on repeating words and phrases and descriptions ad nauseum, recitations which probably mortified and embarrassed that poor man completely, was unwarranted and had nothing to do with Bishop Parker’s very remote involvement in this case.  (In addition to my minister, I wouldn’t want my mother or any other member of my family to see and hear everything in this trial.)  In my opinion, WOBO’s mother is there for only two reasons.  One, the defense told her she had to be.  As it turns out, there has been lots of time to sightsee, shop, see and be seen, pose for photos — all in all a pretty swell time, and done mostly on someone else’s dime.  Secondly, and more importantly, she is racking up time spent with her horror of a daughter so that once that cell door slams shut in Perryville, she will be out of there and never see WOBO again, because she has put in her time.  WOBO’s father wrote her off a long time ago, and the rest of her family is counting the days until she will be out of their lives forever.  Bishop Parker should have been asked  only to clarify the dates of the very brief time in 2004 when Travis lived with him, and if he ever suspected Travis of pedophilia, which he could answer with a resounding “no.”  End of knowledge, end of testimony.  Bishop Parker attended court with a Church appointed attorney to protect the seal of the confessional, not because he intended to follow the defendant’s example of lying, though Nurmi did everything in his power to insinuate otherwise.

The cross examination of Bishop Parker, in which WOBO had to have had a very active hand, should be evidence enough of her total lack of remorse, her cruel and calculating nature, and her utter lack of respect for anyone or anything other than herself.  Her entire life has been an endless litany of playing the victim and placing the blame on anyone other than herself.  In an earlier post, I posited that WOBO was a psychosexual killer, getting a perverse sexual thrill from reliving the murder.  Now, I have no doubt she is doing just that; she is enjoying this, she is relishing making people feel awkward, embarrassed, accused, and guilty, when in fact she is the one who should be feeling those things.  Solitary confinement leaves her alone with her thoughts, and she will savor every minute of it.  She will miss human interaction, but not really enough to make a difference.  She has been living in her own fantasy world for a long time, and she has had a great deal of practice entertaining herself.

When the serial killer I knew stood to address the court, every single family member, and most of the spectators and media in attendance, got up and silently walked out of the courtroom.  It was a powerful signal that they would not give this killer another moment of their time, or would not listen to a single word he had to say in his defense or by way of explanation.  It would all be a lie anyway and make no difference in their lives.  How I wish the family and friends of Travis Alexander, and anyone else in the courtroom, would do the same when WOBO gives her allocution.  [Since I prepared this article, Travis’s family and friends have done the same thing, even though they technically walked out on her mouthpiece, not her.  I am so happy they did, and I hope the gesture was not lost on the jury or the defendant.]  Though it is my fervent prayer that Travis’ loved ones never give her another thought, I know it is not remotely possible.  Every time they think of him, thoughts of this murderer and the pain she inflicted, not just during the murder but throughout the time he knew her and in the course of this trial, will intrude unbidden; those horrifying images of his body will never leave their minds.

My community still marks every anniversary: the first murder, each and every subsequent murder, the first communication from the serial killer to the media, all the communiques that followed, the day he was arrested, the day he was sentenced, any update from the prison where he is incarcerated, every time a new book or movie references the killer or is “inspired by actual events” — it is an endless fascination which the local media is more than happy to indulge.  And of course the serial killer is laboring under the misconception that we are all breathless to hear anything from him, though even the media has begun to tire of his endless missives and largely ignores them.  When we do think of the crimes, we think of the victims, not the murderer.  In fact, we are fast approaching an anniversary and the local news station has been hyping it for a week; at least this time they are (supposedly) going to focus on how some family members, thrown together by circumstances too horrible to imagine, are trying to help each other through their grief.  I usually pay no attention to these updates — trust me, anyone who has been even remotely affected by the entire affair needs no reminder of every anniversary, they are all remembered — but I will watch this update for one very specific reason.  One of these men, whose mother was an early victim, really before my city even knew it had a serial killer at large, was the one survivor I found the most heartbreaking.  Not only was his mother murdered, he and his siblings were at home the day it happened, and he blamed himself.  Hearing “It was not your fault” will never ease his pain.   When he stood to address the court, after decades of smoldering hate and anger, decades spent in a drug and alcohol induced haze in a desperate attempt to alleviate his guilt and sorrow even a little bit, decades spent imagining what he would say if he were ever face to face with his mother’s killer, the enormity of it all was too much.  He managed only to croak out his name and his mother’s name, fought valiantly to hold back his tears, then simply shook his head, turned and walked away, unable to speak.  The pain on his face was as fresh as the day he lost his mother.  After watching that, I thought, “His entire life has been ruined, and it always will be.  I don’t think he will ever be alright.”  Oh, how I hope he has found at least some small measure of peace, as he so deserves it.

The first time this serial killer struck, my cousin, who was 14 or 15 at the time, saw him, though of course he didn’t know what had just transpired. He is believed to be the only one who ever saw the killer leaving a crime scene, but he hadn’t paid the man much attention, he was just a kid gazing out the window while cutting school.  His family lived very close to the first home where someone was killed, and until the serial killer was caught, many, many years later, the police never stopped coming around the neighborhood, asking him and all the neighbors if they might have  come up with anything — a face, a car, a license plate?  Had they ever seen anyone sitting in a car or across the street staring at the house?  A person or car which was frequently in the neighborhood but didn’t belong?  For one of the  detectives who responded to the first murder, it was his first day on the job.  He was the only one who stayed with the case for its entirety; he refused to give up, and even after the task force, which he lead, was officially dismantled, he stayed with it.  His determination, patience, and restraint was instrumental to the serial killer finally being apprehended.  He retired shortly after the sentencing, looked forward to spending time with his family and finding some hobbies.  A few short years later, he was dead of cancer, diagnosed after he retired.  I shuddered when I heard about Detective Flores losing his son, thinking of how much of his time and energy this case has consumed.  The victims are so many, and sometimes it seems they will never quit showing up.  Talk to these people about PTSD.

*In the LDS Church, members are instructed to fast for two meals every Sunday, and donate the money saved to The Church.  Even if they do not fast, they are still expected to make this additional monetary gift to The Church.

** The Mormon Vow of Chastity — “We are to have sexual relations only with our spouse to whom we are legally married. No one, male or female, is to have sexual relations before marriage. After marriage, sexual relations are permitted only with our spouse.”  Pretty clear."

18thcenturylady

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:04 am

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ · 55s
The jury has arrived #jodiarias #3tvarias

Tammy Rose ‏@News20Chopper · 59s
An announcement just came on to make sure you wear your badge so no one talks about potential cases in front of you. #JodiArias

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:05 am

Freckles wrote:
CuriousPortlander wrote:Monica Lindstrom ‏@monicalindstrom 4m4 minutes ago

So when Juan was questioning Geffner as to if/why Geffner was continually moving his chair toward juror 1, which Geffner admitted to (!) Juan was asking Geffner to disclose the fact the DT had shared with Geffner the occupation of juror 1 to the "expert"witness.... WOW! Juan is good.... very good. IMO, he could have called a halt to the proceedings, asked for a special hearing, impeached the witness, derailed the trial, and created.... a mistrial! And he did not! But he made his point to the witness and the DT. I sure hope the DT is brought up on charges when this is all over with!!!

Wowsy!. Thanks, CP.

YW!

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:05 am

Monica Lindstrom ‏@monicalindstrom · 1m
I agree RT @Cher_SD: @monicalindstrom @myfoxphoenix @andreafox10 @rickdamicoFox10 @RonHoon .... I think she will get life

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:27 am

Katie Conner ‏@KatieJConner · 8m
On verdict watch today for #JodiArias. The jury walked in a few minutes ago. I'll keep you updated! #TravisAlexander #abc15

https://twitter.com/KatieJConner
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:32 am

Legally Speaking: What happens now in State v. Arias?

By Monica Lindstrom, Co-host of The Agenda   | February 25, 2015 @ 8:03

...If their judgment is for death, Arias will be sentenced immediately and be transferred to the Arizona State Prison System's death row. If their judgment is life, then the second part of the sentence falls to Judge Stephens to decide. Martinez and Nurmi may have the opportunity to argue to Judge Stephens, likely at a later date, their respective positions regarding the possibility of parole. At that time the judge will decide if Arias will be sentenced to life in prison or life in prison with the possibility of parole after 25 years. It will not be Judge Stephens' decision whether Arias will eventually get released on parole.

Read more:  http://ktar.com/305/1810870/Legally-Speaking-What-happens-now-in-State-v-Arias
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 18thcenturylady Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:51 am

CuriousPortlander wrote:
Legally Speaking: What happens now in State v. Arias?

By Monica Lindstrom, Co-host of The Agenda   | February 25, 2015 @ 8:03

...If their judgment is for death, Arias will be sentenced immediately and be transferred to the Arizona State Prison System's death row. If their judgment is life, then the second part of the sentence falls to Judge Stephens to decide. Martinez and Nurmi may have the opportunity to argue to Judge Stephens, likely at a later date, their respective positions regarding the possibility of parole. At that time the judge will decide if Arias will be sentenced to life in prison or life in prison with the possibility of parole after 25 years. It will not be Judge Stephens' decision whether Arias will eventually get released on parole.

Read more:  http://ktar.com/305/1810870/Legally-Speaking-What-happens-now-in-State-v-Arias

Well, I hope that if this jury can't agree, and some want the DP that they do not give in.
IF it's another hung jury the outcome will only be that the judge passes sentence anyway...
Gosh, I just really hope they can see their way to the DP.
I hope everyone can read the fantastic post I put up above on this page. It was written by a guest to 'Really Big Mean Dog' blog, and it absolutely wonderful.

Last edited by 18thcenturylady on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

18thcenturylady

Back to top Go down

Post by Weeziethm Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:05 pm

A preview of prison life for Jodi Arias

If she gets a death sentence she'll immediately be driven to the Lumley Unit of Perryville prison in the west Valley.

If Arias gets a life sentence, it would be at least 48 hours before she's transported from the Estrella Women's Jail where she’s currently housed to Perryville prison.

Computer time will not exist for Arias, no more Twitter. Her contact with the outside world will be cut off.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/central-phoenix/a-preview-of-prison-life-for-jodi-arias
Weeziethm
Weeziethm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next