Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial #2

+3
CuriousPortlander
Alessandra_Deux
One Wonders
7 posters

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial  #2 - Page 2 Empty Re: James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial #2

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:00 pm

KDVR FOX31 Denver ‏@KDVR · 7m
#TheaterShooting trial is in recess until Monday morning. http://link.kdvr.com/1IZJzLI

https://twitter.com/hashtag/theatershooting?src=hash

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial  #2 - Page 2 Empty Re: James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial #2

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:43 pm

Will C. Holden
‏@will_c_holden 4h4 hours ago

For those who believe in signs: It started raining outside #theatershooting courthouse very shortly after all 165 guilty counts were read.

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol 4h4 hours ago

#theatershooting

Started raining hard at the court house. Tears from heaven. Justice served.

Will C. Holden ‏@will_c_holden 4h4 hours ago

Columbine Rebels were on #theatershooting bench (Samour), on jury (the foreman) & covering case (me). Remember us for that, not tragedy.

Rana Novini ‏@RanaNovini 3h3 hours ago

Beautiful rainbow outside Arapahoe County courthouse where #theatershooting verdict was just announced. @krdonc13

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial  #2 - Page 2 CKE0nZ_UYAAFXeE

https://twitter.com/hashtag/theatershooting?f=realtime

Last edited by CuriousPortlander on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:47 pm

Mylife101 wrote:Okay, we have now seen and heard all of the evidence for both sides.

What did you think of the closing arguments?   Cool

I think that Brauchler did a great job on the prosecution's closing argument. I also think that King did a very good job with what little he had to work with.

I would find JH to be sane and guilty if I were a deliberating juror. How about the rest of you?

Ditto on verdict. Brauchler was awesome; I thought King was horrible and did more harm than good.

(Sorry; my wrists are hurting again, so not much typing.)

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:57 pm

@Bmore - Welcome back!  Good to see you again!

Re:  hair color.  We don't know for a fact that he used the "Napalm Orange" color.  That was something One Wonders found that seemed fitting, but there's no proof he bought it.

@Freckles:  Excellent suggestion about doing testimony over the phone!

Thanks for all the updates, everyone!
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by One Wonders Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:01 pm

Here I am with my opinions again Very Happy.
GUILTY in the 1st is the correct verdict. Guilty in the 2nd is also the correct verdict.
*Understand that what I'm about to say is my opinion only*
The only MI JH has IMO is he's a cold blooded PSYCHOPATH and as such in my belief I call for the DP.
One Wonders
One Wonders

Mood : Neener

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylife101 Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:45 pm

^^^The DP is exactly what JH deserves, but, IMO a life sentence might be better because there are 4 doctors all agreeing that JH is quite mentally ill and that might end up generating a winning appeal if JH is given the DP.  Most schizophrenics are not violent. Unfortunately, JH is not just schizophrenic but also very evil.  So, I agree with you that JH deserves the DP and I would not feel the least little bit sorry for him if he gets the DP.  I just worry that his mental illness will present a huge challenge to the DP ever being carried out.

PS. I love reading your opinions, OneWonders Very Happy
Mylife101
Mylife101

Back to top Go down

Post by One Wonders Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:27 pm

Thank you MyLife, I love reading your posts as well.
I agree that the DP could be a problem when it comes time to kill him but you know I was thinking yesterday *again jmo* that we put animals down for acting in the very same manner and even a lot of times if they simply wander into a neighborhood they are put down instead of relocating them and the kicker on that is that we are the ones encroaching on their territory not the other way around. I just wonder why we have to feel sorry for some psychopath who btw *again ijmo* doesn't suffer from any MI other then psychopathy which cannot be fixed. I feel he was acting and I feel he had to be labeled with something and schizophrenia just happened to fit his acting skills better then any other MI.
Thanks for letting me express my opinions freely.
One Wonders
One Wonders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylife101 Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:57 pm

^^^Yes, I have to agree that some of JH's post theater shooting mental illness symptoms seemed a bit contrived.  For example, it is suspicious that his visual "hallucinations" went from mere flickers in his peripheral vision to dancing shadows juggling heads and chainsaws floating in air near the heads of persons that made JH angry or uncomfortable. IMO, it seems that this "visuals" story just kept growing with each new doctor.  The lunch break catatonia story was rather far-fetched as well. I'm not sure what to make of the November 2012 jail incident. I can't decide if JH was actually psychotic or just suffering from delirium as a result of refusing water and food? If he was actually psychotic then it clearly points to a real mental illness. If not, maybe just a good actor.  I know the defense team liked showing the orange-hair pictures of one of his early court appearances to "show" how out of reality JH was immediately following the shooting.  However, IMO, JH's appearance can easily be explained by a lack of sleep. I would imagine that JH had little to no sleep in the few days prior to the first court appearance. I thought he just looked like someone fighting to stay awake. So, in conclusion, I tend to believe that JH does indeed have some form of schizophrenia, however, I can certainly see and respect the argument that JH is putting on an act to save his evil skin.

Mylife101
Mylife101

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylife101 Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:15 pm

CuriousPortlander wrote:
Mylife101 wrote:Okay, we have now seen and heard all of the evidence for both sides.

I think that Brauchler did a great job on the prosecution's closing argument. I also think that King did a very good job with what little he had to work with.

I would find JH to be sane and guilty if I were a deliberating juror. How about the rest of you?

Ditto on verdict.  Brauchler was awesome; I thought King was horrible and did more harm than good.

Hi CP,
Sorry to hear that your wrists are hurting again.

I think that George Brauchler is an amazing DA.  He chooses all the right words and mannerism's to drive home his points. IMO, even the tone he uses when he says things like, "Yeah, uh huh" in response to a defense witness's answer that he disagrees with is priceless.  King just doesn't have the same caliber skill-set and couldn't really compete at this level.  However, I can cut King a little slack on the closing argument because, IMO, he didn't have much left to argue for because the DA did a phenomenal job of mopping the floor with all the DT witnesses.

Anyway, IMO, the jury reached the correct verdict. I expect that the jury will sentence JH to the DP.  It would be very hard not to give the DP after they listen to the victims/families testify to the full scope of the impact JH's murderous rampage has had on them.

I know that your wrists are hurting, so please don't reply.  I just wanted to say "Hi" and share a few "IMO thoughts".  Very Happy

Last edited by CuriousPortlander on Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote)
Mylife101
Mylife101

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:07 pm

Mylife101 wrote:
CuriousPortlander wrote:

Ditto on verdict.  Brauchler was awesome; I thought King was horrible and did more harm than good.

Hi CP,
Sorry to hear that your wrists are hurting again.

I think that George Brauchler is an amazing DA.  He chooses all the right words and mannerism's to drive home his points. IMO, even the tone he uses when he says things like, "Yeah, uh huh" in response to a defense witness's answer that he disagrees with is priceless.  King just doesn't have the same caliber skill-set and couldn't really compete at this level.  However, I can cut King a little slack on the closing argument because, IMO, he didn't have much left to argue for because the DA did a phenomenal job of mopping the floor with all the DT witnesses.

Anyway, IMO, the jury reached the correct verdict. I expect that the jury will sentence JH to the DP.  It would be very hard not to give the DP after they listen to the victims/families testify to the full scope of the impact JH's murderous rampage has had on them.

I know that your wrists are hurting, so please don't reply.  I just wanted to say "Hi" and share a few "IMO thoughts".  Very Happy

Cool and Thanks!
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by One Wonders Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Mylife101 wrote:^^^Yes, I have to agree that some of JH's post theater shooting mental illness symptoms seemed a bit contrived.  For example, it is suspicious that his visual "hallucinations" went from mere flickers in his peripheral vision to dancing shadows juggling heads and chainsaws floating in air near the heads of persons that made JH angry or uncomfortable. IMO, it seems that this "visuals" story just kept growing with each new doctor.  The lunch break catatonia story was rather far-fetched as well. I'm not sure what to make of the November 2012 jail incident. I can't decide if JH was actually psychotic or just suffering from delirium as a result of refusing water and food? If he was actually psychotic then it clearly points to a real mental illness. If not, maybe just a good actor.  I know the defense team liked showing the orange-hair pictures of one of his early court appearances to "show" how out of reality JH was immediately following the shooting.  However, IMO, JH's appearance can easily be explained by a lack of sleep. I would imagine that JH had little to no sleep in the few days prior to the first court appearance. I thought he just looked like someone fighting to stay awake. So, in conclusion, I tend to believe that JH does indeed have some form of schizophrenia, however, I can certainly see and respect the argument that JH is putting on an act to save his evil skin.  

BBM:
I think he was faking it there too. If you watch the tape again of him "falling" off the bed you will see that his body betrays him and goes into protection mode. He kinda curled up. As for the head smashing. He was in a padded cell for pete's sake, lol. How much damage can one do to their head on padded walls, lol. It just makes me laugh to think about it. What an idiot.
All is just my opinion of course.
Have a great night MyLife inlove .
One Wonders
One Wonders

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:35 pm

Alessandra_Deux wrote:Colorado shooting verdict: Jury finds James Holmes guilty in movie theater massacre

Holmes case will next enter penalty phase where he could be sentenced to death

By Jason Sickles, Yahoo
14 minutes ago
Yahoo News

CENTENNIAL, Colo. — A jury has found Colorado movie theater shoorter James Holmes guilty of first-degree murder in the July 20, 2012 shooting that killed 12 people, making him eligible for the death penalty.

Read more:

http://news.yahoo.com/verdict-colorado-movie-theater-shooting-trial-gunman-james-holmes-192828613.html

Pic on vid is not JH.
That is of the shooter from Chattanooga who killed 4 US Marines and left several in hospital, one in critical condition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/chattanooga-shooter-came-from-middle-class-muslim-family/2015/07/16/815c39c2-2c04-11e5-bd33-395c05608059_story.html
Freckles
Freckles

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:57 pm

^^^Something is definitely wrong with that Yahoo video. The original video that I posted on the previous page was about James Holmes' guilty verdict .... James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial  #2 - Page 2 5368 ... what happened. James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial  #2 - Page 2 623565

I've posted information about the Chattanooga shooting on "Developing Stories".  It is another heart wrenching case. We can start a thread if you would like to explore the subject further.
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:52 pm

^^^
lol I was amazed at how much he had changed... awe
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:44 am

Sam Gullickson ‏@SteadyCamSam · 4h
We're live this morning at Alameda and Sable for the third anniversary of the #theatershooting. @7NewsNOW

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial  #2 - Page 2 CKWnG-AUkAEs7ZO

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:57 am

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman  · 18m  
Church near Aurora theater holds memorial for #theatershooting anniversary: http://dpo.st/1Sww3jy  via @denverpost

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial  #2 - Page 2 CKXWeelUYAI_O-K

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:40 pm

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman  · 6m  
This is the most engaged JH has seemed since the Aurora #theatershooting trial began in April. Reading, not swiveling

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial  #2 - Page 2 CKXwbwaWgAEWlLw

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:38 pm

After the guilty verdict: What happens next in theater shooting case to decide James Holmes' fate?

By: Phil Tenser

ARAPAHOE COUNTY, Colo. - Now that the gunman has been found guilty on all 165 counts, the court is preparing to move to the part of the trial where a sentence will be determined.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for James Holmes, who on Thursday was found guilty of murdering 12 people, injuring 70 others and assembling incendiary booby-traps inside his Aurora apartment.

Court will not be held Friday, as it was a pre-scheduled day off for the case.

Monday, on the third anniversary of the shooting, legal teams and the judge will gather at 9 a.m. to discuss logistics for the sentencing phase. That may last into Tuesday as well.

Jurors will not return to the work until Wednesday, when court will convene at 8:40 a.m.

In the first portion of the penalty process, the prosecution must prove to the jury beyond a reasonable doubt that the crimes included at least one statutory aggravating factor. There are several such factors in Colorado, but these are the ones that might apply to this case:

• The defendant committed the offense in an especially heinous, cruel, or depraved manner
• In the commission of the offense, the defendant knowingly created a grave risk of death to another person in addition to the victim of the offense
• The defendant intentionally killed a child who has not yet attained twelve
• The defendant unlawfully and intentionally, knowingly, or with universal malice manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life generally, killed two or more persons during the commission of the same criminal episode

Read more:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/movie-theater-shooting/after-the-guilty-verdict-what-happens-next-in-theater-shooting-case-to-decide-james-holmes-fate
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:43 pm

James Holmes Trial - Day 50 - Part 1

Croaker Queen

Published on Jul 20, 2015
The lawyers go over some issues before the penalty phase starts on Wednesday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW4YyET8x3c&feature=youtu.be&a
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:00 pm

Opinion: Question sanity of death penalty

By Philip Holloway CNN Legal Analyst

POSTED: 10:59 AM MDT Jul 17, 2015

(CNN) - The verdict is in, and James Holmes has been found guilty of first-degree murder for killing 12 people in a movie theater in July 2012. The Colorado jury predictably rejected his insanity defense, but that is not the end of the story. That same jury will now begin determining whether he should be executed or serve the rest of his life in prison. And, as a result, America once again finds itself in a virtually unique discussion among rich nations on whether capital punishment should apply to one of its citizens.

As a former law enforcement officer, former prosecutor, criminal lawyer, and continuing real-world "student" of criminology, I've seen up close the evidence suggesting that the United States should not be having this conversation anymore, because it may be time to put an end to capital punishment completely.

This is not because I have any moral objection to executing the worst of the worst -- those who murder innocent victims, sometimes in the most horrific ways imaginable. It is hard to see capital punishment as particularly "cruel" or "unusual" when the victims will often have died much worse deaths than the killer will be subjected to. But the fact is that there are several practical reasons why the death penalty just doesn't make sense any longer, if it ever really did in the first place.

Read more:

http://www.localnews8.com/news/opinion-question-sanity-of-death-penalty/34220120
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:35 pm

James Holmes Trial - Day 50 - Part 2

Croaker Queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlQu9Es49EE
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:07 pm

7NEWS Denver Channel ‏@DenverChannel  · 1h  
"He's 'Jimmy' to me," Aurora movie #theatershooting gunman's 5th grade teacher recalls fondly - http://bit.ly/1HMkn7b  via @AnicaPadilla

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:08 pm

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman · 1h
Judge and attorneys will return to the #theatershooting courtroom at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:17 pm

James Holmes Trial - Day 50 - Part 3

James Holmes Trial - Day 50 - Part 4

Source: Croaker Queen - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyFXpkWhSr9IAqD4LKq02fg
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:26 pm

JH told the judge today that he will not testify and will not allocute during Phase 1 of the penalty phase.

Court is in recess until 8:40 a.m. tomorrow morning.

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:02 pm

James Holmes Trial - Day 51

Croaker Queen

Published on Jul 21, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9D-TULcYqs
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:14 am

John Ingold ‏@johningold  · 6m
In sentencing phase of Aurora #theatershooting trial, beginning today, the defense will seek to humanize the gunman. http://www.denverpost.com/theater-shooting-trial/ci_28517939/aurora-theater-shooting-defense-attorneys-seek-humanize-gunman …

7NEWS Denver Channel ‏@DenverChannel  · 9m 
The sentencing phase of the #Aurora movie #theatershooting trial begins today. http://bit.ly/1CPTzGw

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:26 am

Death penalty is sought against James Holmes, but governor stands in the way

By Maria L. La Ganga
July, 22, 2015, 4:00 AM

When the jury found James E. Holmes guilty, Marcus Weaver cried. For his friend Rebecca Wingo, who died beside him in the Aurora, Colo., multiplex. For the dozens of victims in the 2012 rampage during a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises." For the families of the dead and wounded. Then he cautioned that last week's verdict "is just a stepping stone" on the path to justice..

The next step, Weaver hoped, would be the death penalty. But even if the jury decides to sentence Holmes to death in the penalty phase of his trial, which begins Wednesday, there are some questions about whether the sentence will be imposed. In the time since the Aurora shooting case got underway, Gov. John Hickenlooper has made it his policy that no one in Colorado will be executed as long as he is in office.

"My hope is that [Hickenlooper] remembers all the people who were in court today," said Weaver, who was also shot. "All the names that were read, all the counts that were read, and takes that moratorium off the death penalty so that we can truly have justice for the victims and the families."

Juries across the U.S. continue to hand down death sentences, and prosecutors continue to seek them. But the effective moratorium in Colorado — no capital punishment can be carried out unless the governor signs the death warrant — is part of a political retreat that is gaining momentum. The number of U.S. executions has dropped dramatically since 1999, along with the number of death sentences handed down by juries.

Read more:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-death-penalty-governors-20150722-story.html#page=1
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:29 am

Dr. Max Wachtel ‏@mwachtel · 6m
I'll be in #TheaterTrial court today as prosecution presents aggravating evidence. #theatershooting

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:36 am

Watch Live:

http://kdvr.com/2015/07/22/watch-live-sentencing-phase-begins-in-aurora-theater-shooting-trial/

http://www.wildabouttrial.com/trial_videos/james-holmes-trial-live-stream/

http://dptv.denverpost.com/2015/04/27/theater-shooting-trial/
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:54 am

KDVR FOX31 Denver ‏@KDVR · 14m
WATCH LIVE: Sentencing phase begins in Aurora #theatershooting trial http://link.kdvr.com/1IiQWNV

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:57 am

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman · 1m
Judge and attorneys are back in the #theatershooting courtroom for the beginning of the penalty phase. Jurors due at 9 a.m.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:11 am

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol · 2m
#theatershooting

Defense has 4 witnesses to call today

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:18 am

Marshall Zelinger  @7marshall . 4m
Jury will not have access to #TheaterShooting notebook, Fenton notes and DVD evidence when deliberating phase one of sentencing.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:42 am

KDVR FOX31 Denver ‏@KDVR  · 5m  
Jury still not in courtroom. Defense objecting to prosecution's PowerPoint in #theatershooting penalty phase.

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 10m 
#theatershooting

Objection
“Defendant killed victims in crowded movie theater” - it’s prosecution’s opinion.

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 10m  
#theatershooting

Objection Slide 101 - victims experience extreme discomfort from tear gas in addition to being shot.

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 11m 
#theatershooting

More slides objected to:

“Consider the defendant modified his kill zone by deploying tear gas"

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 11m 
#theatershooting

No evidence on to contradict the injuries. To explain again would be to evoke emotion.

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 12m 
#theatershooting

Def objecting to more slides. One included Jonathan Blunk’s photo. Also, injured victim photos (gory)

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 12m  
#theatershooting

Def raising issue with 670 bullet fragments as misstatement of testimony. Not sure where that # came from.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:50 am

KDVR FOX31 Denver ‏@KDVR  · 10m  
Judge: "This is not the way things should work," says PowerPoints have to be given to other side two days ahead. #theatershooting

Marshall Zelinger @7marshall . 12m
#TheaterShooting judge is UPSET! Def just objected about 50 times to planned power point by prosecution. Judge scolding for lateness.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:02 pm

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman  · 2m
Orman is heatedly arguing against defense objections. #theatershooting

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 3m
#theatershooting

We are 1:20 in with these arguments. No jury yet. Unhappy judge. Still hearing from prosecution

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:04 pm

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman · 6m
"These people were in fear for their lives. What's worse than that?" Orman says, arguing JH created torturous situation. #theatershooting

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:32 pm

Julie Hayden ‏@HaydenTV · 22m
Judge still upset at lawyers saying he now has to take a break to rule on dozens of objections and jury still waiting. #theatershooting

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:40 pm

he Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol · 9m
#theatershooting

Still at recess. Judge didn’t give a specific time court would resume.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:54 pm

Alessandra_Deux wrote:Death penalty is sought against James Holmes, but governor stands in the way

By Maria L. La Ganga
July, 22, 2015, 4:00 AM

When the jury found James E. Holmes guilty, Marcus Weaver cried. For his friend Rebecca Wingo, who died beside him in the Aurora, Colo., multiplex. For the dozens of victims in the 2012 rampage during a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises." For the families of the dead and wounded. Then he cautioned that last week's verdict "is just a stepping stone" on the path to justice..

The next step, Weaver hoped, would be the death penalty. But even if the jury decides to sentence Holmes to death in the penalty phase of his trial, which begins Wednesday, there are some questions about whether the sentence will be imposed. In the time since the Aurora shooting case got underway, Gov. John Hickenlooper has made it his policy that no one in Colorado will be executed as long as he is in office.

"My hope is that [Hickenlooper] remembers all the people who were in court today," said Weaver, who was also shot. "All the names that were read, all the counts that were read, and takes that moratorium off the death penalty so that we can truly have justice for the victims and the families."

Juries across the U.S. continue to hand down death sentences, and prosecutors continue to seek them. But the effective moratorium in Colorado — no capital punishment can be carried out unless the governor signs the death warrant — is part of a political retreat that is gaining momentum. The number of U.S. executions has dropped dramatically since 1999, along with the number of death sentences handed down by juries.

Read more:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-death-penalty-governors-20150722-story.html#page=1

IF the chief/lead prosecutor runs for gov and is elected (as he has stated is his intent) then there could be a problem with conflict of interest re the signing of a death penalty warrant... More appeals?
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:03 pm

Alessandra_Deux wrote:Julie Hayden ‏@HaydenTV  · 22m  
Judge still upset at lawyers saying he now has to take a break to rule on dozens of objections and jury still waiting. #theatershooting

I highlighted part of the reason the judge is upset....

Marshall Zelinger ‏@7Marshall  1h1 hour ago
#TheaterShooting judge is UPSET!
Def just objected about 50 times to planned power point by prosecution.
Judge scolding for lateness.

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol  1h1 hour ago
#theatershooting
Take a moment to send positive vibes to the families and the wounded, 1st responders, etc. as this phase begins.

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ  2h2 hours ago
Jurors to weigh whether Colorado theater shooter should die
http://thetrialdiaries.com/jurors-to-weigh-whether-colorado-theater-shooter-should-die/ … #Theatershooting #TheTrialDiaries

Marshall Zelinger ‏@7Marshall  2h2 hours ago
#TheaterShooting def objects to power point that will show killed victims photos. Objects that it evokes emotion. Well, yeah. Also, victims.

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman  2h2 hours ago
Judge will not allow gunman's mother to give a victim impact statement.
Samour: She's no more a victim than he is. #theatershooting

Barry Osborne ‏@barry_osborne  2h2 hours ago
Should Colorado execute Aurora #theatershooting gunman? An analysis by @Dahlialithwick http://slate.me/1LtOczM  via @Slate

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:04 pm

7NEWS Denver Channel ‏@DenverChannel · 5m
#TheaterShooting: Judge Samour overrules global objection to use of slides. He is considering individual objections to specific slides.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:06 pm

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman · 15m
Samour says there's no need to show additional photos of Veronica Moser-Sullivan. #theatershooting

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:09 pm

#theatershooting

Pros cannot reference any statements made by JH to mental health experts

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 5m  
#theatershooting

obj - trapped by design

Judge - based on evidence excluded due to JH statements to Dr Reid.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:20 pm

Marshall Zelinger     @7marshall . 5m
After 2.5 hours of objections, #TheaterShooting jury finally gets to enter courtroom for the start of penalty phase.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:26 pm

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman · 3m
Judge is giving jurors instructions for Phase One of the penalty phase. He notes trial might never proceed to phases 2-3. #theatershooting

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:29 pm

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 7m  
#theatershooting

Life - means just that. No chance of parole. Cannot ever apply for parole

Death - never mandatory.

#theatershooting

In CO M1 may be punished with life in prison of death by lethal injection.

he Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 8m
#theatershooting

The 2 guilty verdicts for each deceased victim will merge into 1 and Jh will receive a single sentence.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:32 pm

#theatershooting

Phase 2:

JH may present mitigation. Mitigating factor considered as reducing degree of JH moral culpability

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 5m  
#theatershooting

If not unanimous - must give Life without parole

If unanimously found at least 1 - will go to phase 2

#theatershooting

Important you know about phases:

1. Prove at least 1 aggravating factor. You  must decide if pros has proven at least 1.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:36 pm

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 2m  
#theatershooting

Phase 3

Both sides will make closings
Pros 1st, Def 2nd
Rebuttal - pros 1st Def 2nd
Deliberations

#theatershooting

Judge - your decision must be based on evidence I tell you can be considered & whats presented in sentencing phase

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman  · 4m  
Jurors can also exercise mercy, based on evidence, judge says. Not based on passion, bias or conjecture. #theatershooting

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman  · 5m  
Aggravating factors must outweigh mitigating factors in Phase 2 in order to move to Phase 3 in #theatershooting trial's penalty phase.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next