Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer

+13
FystyAngel
pi-girl
mel
TigerMom
Ann - Tx
sitemama
Julie
KariBear
Snaz
Sherry
Estee
Justice4all
Piper
17 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer - Page 3 Empty Re: Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer

Post by Snaz Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:48 pm

Piper, do you have a link for that article? I'd like to see the whole thing....

Thanks!
Snaz
Snaz

Mood : Whistling

Back to top Go down

Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer - Page 3 Empty Re: Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer

Post by Piper Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:36 pm

Widmer hearing short - now the wait

By Janice Morse • jmorse@enquirer.com • August 3, 2010

LEBANON -In a hearing that lasted only a half-hour, both sides presented their arguments Tuesday on whether Ryan Widmer should be tried a third time for muder in the bathtub drowning of his wife.

Sarah Widmer drowned in the bathtub of the couple's suburban Hamilton Township home in 2008. Ryan Widmer was convicted of murder in 2009, but that was overturned because of juror misconduct.

In his second trial, which ended in June, the jury could not reach a verdict.

Judge Neal Bronson of Warren County Common Pleas Court told lawyers he would get a decision to them "as quickly as I can," but did not indicate when that would be.

Four jurors showed up for Tuesday's acquittal hearing, a fact that "is really amazing, and obviously shows their support of Ryan Widmer," Krumbein said.

The jurors sat directly behind the defense table. "It's just like at a wedding where people sit on the groom's side and the bride's side. By sitting behind the defense, these jurors were showing literally and figuratively whom they were supporting."

Krumbein said it's "virtually unprecedented" for jurors to show up for such a hearing. He also noted that the hearing was unusually well-attended. Most of the seats in the 80-seat courtroom were filled.

Read more: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100803/NEWS0107/308030113/Widmer-hearing-short-eventful
Piper
Piper

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:02 pm

Prosecutors Will Try Ryan Widmer For Third Time

Last Update: 10:54 am
August 6, 2010

A judge has denied a motion to acquit a Hamilton Township man accused of drowning his newlywed wife. That decision means that Ryan Widmer will go to trial for a third time in the death of his wife Sarah.

Judge Neal Bronson heard arguments in the case on Tuesday and just announced his decision by fax to the media Friday morning around 10 a.m.

Ryan Widmer is accused of drowning his wife, Sarah, in the couple's Hamilton Township home in 2008. A jury convicted Widmer in his first trial, but that conviction was thrown out due to juror misconduct. Jurors couldn't agree on a verdict in the second trial. The prosecution says they now have a new witness who will testify Widmer admitted to killing his wife.

The judge says he is compelled by law to view the evidence in the case in a light most favorable to the prosecution. He says based on that, he believes the prosecutor may have enough evidence to convict Widmer and he is compelled by law to give them a third chance. Judge Bronson also noted in his decision that he did not take into account the existence of a new witness, whom the prosecution claims will testify that Ryan Widmer bragged about Sarah's death. The judge also did not consider rumors that Sarah suffered from an undiagnosed heart condition that may have led to her death. He states that he only considered evidence introduced during the trial when making his decision.

Read more here:

http://www.local12.com/content/breaking_news/story/Prosecutors-Will-Try-Ryan-Widmer-For-Third-Time/U0xN6zefIEmoGSKscaoPuA.cspx
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:34 pm

I feel so sorry for Ryan to have to endure a 3rd trial...I'm equally sorry that her family has to go through this again...Possibly the new prosecution witness will be deemed not credible...Guess we'll have to wait for the trial...
Estee
Estee

Mood : Neener

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:56 pm

It seems they are bound and determined to find him guilty. That's just my opinion. I can't imagine how he's feeling right now. From what I've learned from the case...no motive, no life insurance, no lovers, no proof. It just doesn't make sense.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:34 pm

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by sitemama Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:44 pm

So Sarah's family thinks Ryan is innocent too?

I have not kept up with this case, but isn't the family of the victim usually against the accused?
sitemama
sitemama
Admin

Mood : Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:13 pm

They did at first, Mama......but have changed their way of thinking.

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:16 pm

Judge, Widmer lawyers to meet

OH Courts Cincinnati.Com » OH Courts
Updated: 2:37 pm | August 17, 2010 Share

LEBANON - A judge has set a scheduling conference for 2 p.m. Aug. 31 in the Ryan Widmer murder case as it heads toward a third trial.

Warren County Common Pleas Judge Neal Bronson set that date for lawyers to meet with him behind closed doors and hash out filing deadlines and a date for Widmer's trial.

Widmer, 29, now of Mason, was living in Warren County's Hamilton Township in 2008 when his wife of less than four months, Sarah, 24, drowned in their bathtub. She worked as a dental hygienist in Fort Thomas and he worked in sports-marketing in Warren County. There was no documented history of violence between them.

Read more:
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100817/NEWS010702/8180327/Judge-Widmer-lawyers-to-meet

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:01 am

Why isn't a sleep disorder considered? Adult Sudden Death Disorder is very real even if rare and it sounds to me like his wife had sleep disorders-falling asleep at odd times. Most people with a sleep disorder have a higher risk of ASDD.

I don't want to see Widmer spend time behind bars if he is innocent but it is apparent that the jurors are afraid they may be letting a guilty person free. His defense better do a top notch job in this next trial. This is sad.
Sherry
Sherry

Mood : Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:35 pm

Date set for Widmer's third trial on murder charges

Updated 3:01 PM Tuesday, August 31, 2010

LEBANON — Ryan Widmer will face a third jury in early January on charges he killed his wife.

Warren County Common Pleas Judge Neal Bronson has set aside three weeks beginning Jan. 18 for the third trial in the bizarre case that has captured national attention.

Read more:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime/date-set-for-widmers-third-trial-on-murder-charges-890717.html
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:29 pm

Defense team staying with Widmer for third trial

By Denise G. Callahan, Staff Writer
3:11 PM Tuesday, September 21, 2010

LEBANON — Ryan Widmer’s defense team will continue to defend the accused killer during his third trial.

Jay Clark, Hal Arenstein and Lindsey Gutierrez, who defended Widmer during his second trail that ended with a hung jury, will remain as his attorneys as the sensational Warren County case heads for a third trial in January.

Read more: http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime/defense-team-staying-with-widmer-for-third-trial--934220.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Mood : Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:13 pm

Officials investigate personnel file of detective in Widmer case

By Denise G. Callahan, Staff Writer
Updated 9:08 AM Thursday, September 23, 2010

HAMILTON TWP. — The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation has launched an investigation into the fraudulent documents found in the personnel file of the lead detective in the Ryan Widmer case, township officials said.

Earlier this month, Hamilton Twp. trustees asked the Attorney General’s office to recommend the proper agency to investigate who slipped the false documents in Lt. Jeff Braley’s personnel file.

Township Law Director Warren Ritchie said he talked with someone at BCI today, Sept. 22, and they asked for transcripts taken during a hearing prior to the Widmer murder retrial in Warren County Common Pleas Court in May, and the questionable documents themselves.

A township committee already determined some documents in Braley’s file are false. The documents overstate his educational and employment history.

Read more: http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/crime/officials-investigate-personnel-file-of-detective-in-widmer-case-936734.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Even though this has absolutely nothing to do with Ryan Widmer and whether or not he killed his wife, this just doesn't bode well for Ryan.

And that's a real shame. Because I'm afraid this will ultimately hurt him, and I don't believe he is guilty of murder.
Snaz
Snaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Lead Investigator - Jeff Braley - Lied on his Police Application

Written by Mike Mayleben
Tuesday, 25 May 2010 17:18

It has been reported this afternoon that Jeff Braley's job application with the Hamilton Township Police Department is fraudulent. This can explain how he was unjustly promoted in the department with ZERO law enforcement experience.

Some information that was a lie on his application:

•He was never a Postal Inspector, yet it's listed in his job history
•He has no Masters, yet it's listed in his education history
•He was never an engineer with G.E., yet it's listed in his job history

This has been up for question for a few months and now the documents are being released. Ryan's previous attorney had these documents back in 2008, when Jeff Braley has said that's when he found out the fraduelent information that he wrote was in his empolyee folder with Hamilton Township. More details about these breaking details to be released soon.

The Warren County Prosecutor's Office has known about this and tried to hide it, instead of being upfront and honest with the citizens of Warren County.

How can you trust the Warren County Prosecutor's Office or the Hamilton Township Police Department?

http://freeryanwidmer.com/ryan-widmer/209-lead-investigator-jeff-braley-lied-on-his-police-application
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:32 pm

Corruption? Good Ole Boy Network?

Sure smells like Hometown Fix'ins going on in Hamilton Township led by Rachel Hutzel and Jeff Braley.

~Jeff Braley ~

Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer - Page 3 J_bral10

Ryan Widmer - Bathtub Murder Trial of Bride of 4 Months, Sarah Widmer - Page 3 J_bral11

^Proud of his hat ^

http://freeryanwidmer.com/news/25-facts/163-hometown-justice-by-good-ole-boy-network
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:37 pm

This is good:

Jeff Braley: "Someone was out to get me"...

Written by Mike Mayleben
Wednesday, 14 July 2010 16:03

...ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?! Someone tampered with your employment records to make you look smarter, with more education AND experience which helped you get a job promotion and raise???? Who do you think you are kidding?

Well if that's what enemies do to get back at you - I hope I've really pissed some people off so that they can tamper with my employment records, I'd like a promotion and raise too. Jeff Braley has not only spit in the face of justice but has now smeared the image of Warren County with his "above the law" attitutde. What comes around goes around.

That's the best alibi you could come up with to cover up your tracks for lying on your job application? The only person that should be arrested and charged with a crime is Jeff Braley.

http://freeryanwidmer.com/ryan-widmer/227-jeff-braley-someone-was-out-to-get-me
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:40 pm

You have to admit, Mike has a point there. Laughing
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:20 pm

I hope you are right, AJ. I just feel this whole case against him has been so unfair. He does deserve to be acquitted and be able to grieve the loss of his wife. He should never have been charged in the first place.

Much like my comments about Meredith Kercher's family needing someone to blame for her death, I believe Sarah's family needs someone to be at fault for her death, as well. No one wants to believe that their daughter, who by all appearances was healthy, died of natural causes at such an young age. And in the beginning, they never believed for a second that he was guilty. They came to believe it, even though the facts don't point to Ryan, because he was the one charged with her death and there was no was else to blame.

That's my opinion... and I'm sticking to it.
Snaz
Snaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:40 am

There is a reason most of these jurors feel Ryan is guilty. If I can swing it, I will attend this trial to see for myself exactly what I am missing and why so many are convinced of his guilt.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:45 am

That would be awesome, Piper.....

Are these jurors seeing something we are not? Cause I just don't get it.
Snaz
Snaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:22 pm

That's what I want to know! The trial starts January 18th and is slated to last 3 weeks. I couldn't attend each day, but I will see what I can work out. Rachel Hutzel, Warren Co Prosecutor, is keeping her new star witness a secret. This new witness supposedly was told by Ryan how he did it and why he did it.

She's using a new rule in Ohio to keep this person from being named, it took effect in July:

The new rule

Ohio's Criminal Rule 16 was designed to expand the amount of evidence defense attorneys could receive before trial - including some police reports, witness statements and other documents that were not available before.

Under the rule, prosecutors can withhold names of witnesses and their statements to protect the witnesses from harm, coercion or intimidation.

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Change of venue possible for Widmer trial, expert says
Updated 2:30 PM Tuesday, October 5, 2010

LEBANON — The prosecution in the Ryan Widmer murder case is considering asking for a change in venue outside Warren County for the third trial, according to a jury expert.

Thaddeus Hoffmeister, a University of Dayton Law Professor and jury expert, said prosecutors asked him to swear out an affidavit listing reasons why he believes an impartial jury cannot be seated in the county. He submitted the document on Monday.

The level of publicity surrounding the case, the entrenched opinions that many potential jurors are likely to have, the population of Warren County and the truncated voir dire process used by the court are the reasons Hoffmeister listed for the change in his affidavit.

Assistant Prosecutor Matt Nolan said because of the gag order, he cannot confirm or deny whether his office will file a motion for change of venue. There is a status conference scheduled for 2 p.m. today, Oct. 5.

Read more:
http://www.middletownjournal.com/change-of-venue-possible-for-widmer-trial-expert-says-965614.html
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:50 pm

That will depend on if the change of venue is approved or not, I have no idea what county they would possibly move it to.

Here is the affidavit:

http://www.wlwt.com/download/2010/1005/25289304.pdf

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:17 pm

Widmer change of venue filed

Crime & Courts Cincinnati.Com » Crime & Courts
Updated: 1:01 pm | October 6, 2010

LEBANON -Warren County prosecutors filed papers Wedfnesday asking a judge to move the third murder trial of Ryan Widmer out of Warren County.

The motion for a change of venue said Widmer "has become a virtual celebrity in Southwest Ohio" because of "continuous and pervasive" news coverage.

Read more:
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20101006/NEWS0107/310060099/
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:23 pm

~Snipped~

The prosecution also criticized Widmer's lawyers for publicly attacking the credibility of many prosecution witnesses, "including the mother of the victim and the investigators," saying that the defense lawyers actions prompted Judge Neal Bronson to impose a gag order forbidding out-of-court comment in the case.

Many people feel Ryan Widmer is guilty of murdering his wife.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:23 pm

Piper wrote:That's what I want to know! The trial starts January 18th and is slated to last 3 weeks. I couldn't attend each day, but I will see what I can work out. Rachel Hutzel, Warren Co Prosecutor, is keeping her new star witness a secret. This new witness supposedly was told by Ryan how he did it and why he did it.

She's using a new rule in Ohio to keep this person from being named, it took effect in July:

The new rule

Ohio's Criminal Rule 16 was designed to expand the amount of evidence defense attorneys could receive before trial - including some police reports, witness statements and other documents that were not available before.

Under the rule, prosecutors can withhold names of witnesses and their statements to protect the witnesses from harm, coercion or intimidation.

So in other words, Ohio now allows "Perry Mason moments". It just doesn't seem right that the defense is not allowed to depose this "new witness" to determine for themselves whether or not they are credible. Seems to me, this is completely inflammatory against Ryan since his defense is not being allowed to be properly prepared to cross-examine this witness.

I understand withholding the name from the public for security purposes, but this is definitely an unequal playing ground for the defense!
Snaz
Snaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:57 pm

Right, and they can keep this witness secret right up to jury selection. There has been talk of abuse of this new ruling, it is only supposed to be used in extreme cases, to keep witnesses secret that fear for their lives. It is up to the judge to allow withholding the names of witnesses and witness statements from the defense. Here is the link of another case going on, where I got the info...(thought I put it in that post, but apparently didn't Embarassed)

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20100926/NEWS010702/9270373/

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:10 pm

awaiting justice wrote:the law seems to be so one sided... Its so sad that this guy was ever charged...

I guess Im glad it is moved... hopefully they can find a place where negative biased writing hasnt taken over the case....

What's interesting to me, and this is my opinion only, the media has seemed to cover the case in a fair and unbiased manner. It has garnered a lot of attention, people talk and form their own opinions. Public opinion seems to be very negative towards Rachel Hutzel, the prosecutor. The 911 operator is reported to have been asleep, the lead detective's personnel file is being investigated.......I would think the prosecution feels it's in their favor to try him a 3rd time outside of Warren County. Again, JMO.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:37 pm

If you compare the circumstances in those other murder trials in my link, there is no way Ryan's trial even comes close to that level of danger for a new star witness to remain undisclosed.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:30 am

Yes, you're definitely right about the info in that article. LE tells them signs pointed to a violent struggle....which is not true...
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:10 pm

Enquirer argues for access in Widmer case

By Janice Morse
October 13, 2010

MIDDLETOWN - Did a Warren County judge and other public officials improperly block public access to some information in the Ryan Widmer murder case?

That's the main issue a three-judge panel is weighing after hearing arguments Wednesday in a lawsuit that The Enquirer filed months ago in the case involving Widmer, 29, who is accused of drowning his wife, Sarah, 24, in their Hamilton Township bathtub.

As the case heads to a third trial set for Jan. 18, the issues remain relevant, said Jack Greiner, a lawyer representing the newspaper.

"We want to make sure that the public either has access to information concerning court proceedings...and about public employees...or at least that the court applies the proper procedure before it denies that access," he said after the hearing.

Read more: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20101013/NEWS010702/10140307/Enquirer-argues-for-access-in-Widmer-case
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:29 am

Fundraiser held for third Ryan Widmer trial

Updated: Oct 18, 2010 7:20 AM EDT

LEBANON, Ohio (FOX19) - The people behind FreeRyanWidmer.com put together a fundraiser to raise money for a new trial for Ryan Widmer.

The website is hoping to raise about $5,000 for Widmer's third murder trial

Read more and view video:
http://www.fox19.com/Global/story.asp?S=13339092
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:28 pm

Widmer Defense Faces Deadline On Venue Request
Prosecutors Want Third Trial Moved From Warren Co.

POSTED: 3:08 pm EDT October 27, 2010

LEBANON, Ohio -- Defense attorneys for Ryan Widmer have until the end of the day Wednesday to file their response to a change-of-venue request by prosecution.

Read more: http://www.wlwt.com/news/25539263/detail.html
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:28 pm

~Snipped~
Prosecutors filed a motion earlier this month claiming that extensive coverage of the first two trials, including live blog coverage by WLWT.com, and statements made by defense attorneys had made it impossible to retry Widmer in Warren County.

Legal experts said such a request by prosecutors is nearly unprecedented.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 am

Judge did not follow proper procedure in Widmer case, court rules

Updated 10:43 AM Monday, November 1, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — The 12th District Court of Appeals has ruled Warren County Common Pleas Judge Neal Bronson did not follow proper procedures when handling pre-trial issues in the Ryan Widmer murder case.

The judge would not allow the media to join the jury in viewing the bathroom of the Widmer’s Hamilton Twp. home where Sarah Widmer drowned. And, he initially wouldn’t allow the press copies of lead detective Lt. Jeff Braley’s personnel files.

The Cincinnati Enquirer asked the appeals court to rule on these two decisions and the three-judge-panel ruled Bronson should have held hearings — prior to issuing orders — on both matters. Since the 16-day trial ended in June, the court noted it could not dispose of the issues, but issued its determination because the matter is likely to arise again.

Read more:
http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/crime/judge-did-not-follow-proper-procedure-in-widmer-case-court-rules-991731.html
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:21 pm

Widmer Prosecutors Deny Creating Media Frenzy

Third Trial Could Be Moved From Warren Co.

POSTED: 5:21 pm EST November 8, 2010

LEBANON, Ohio -- Prosecutors vehemently denied that they had created a media frenzy in the case of Ryan Widmer, who is set to stand trial a third time in the death of his wife.

The Warren County prosecutor's office filed its response Monday to a defense motion objecting to the state's request to move the next trial to another jurisdiction.

Defense attorneys had argued in their filing that Warren County Prosecutor Rachel Hutzel had created the media frenzy by making inflammatory comments to the media before and after the trials.

Prosecutors admitted they had made 27 postings about the case on their website, but noted the last such posting was made Oct. 16, 2009.

They accused defense attorneys of releasing documents with inappropriate comments, attacking investigators and the victim's mother, and holding press conferences at their office with Widmer's parents.

Read more: http://www.wlwt.com/news/25676246/detail.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:15 am