Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kyron Horman -- Missing 6/4/10 #1

+15
KariBear
TigerMom
JAG
MissMonkey
ou812
khintx
LottieM
Piper
Taxes101
Snaz
FystyAngel
Cali
Julie
sitemama
Justice4all
19 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Kyron Horman -- Missing 6/4/10 #1 - Page 10 Empty Re: Kyron Horman -- Missing 6/4/10 #1

Post by Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:48 am

Piper,

Im thinking that the family knows that Terri has lawyered up (thankfully) and will no longer be doing the continous interrogations and repeated polys...

As we know LE is only looking at Terri and appears to have been very influential with the family, I cud see that the family wud make a statement implying that Terri knows more..

The entire focus of this investigation seems to have only been where LE suspects the family member, so it wud be consistent with the Hormans statement. Also, on accounbt that he is divorcing her and in the most untimely way, it seesm like he is scorned .. I say that with all duer respect to Kaine and the family. His actions are suggestive to me that Terri has betrayed their marriage....An affair seems p[lausible but who knows...

I also believe that if he did believe that Terri knew more, or was responsible.. that he wud not have been so quick to up and leave and stop communication... I wud imagine he wud have been asked by LE to atick around, even if it meant having to arrange for Kiara to live with a family member indefinitely until this case was solved..

Back to top Go down

Kyron Horman -- Missing 6/4/10 #1 - Page 10 Empty Re: Kyron Horman -- Missing 6/4/10 #1

Post by Piper Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:28 am

I certainly agree about a possible affair, I think that is very likely in this case. It just gets crazier and crazier. And they are not searching for Kyron at this point, correct?

Lottie, I'm trying to find that article about the gym. It seems the gym was taking donations for searches and also LE told them to carry on as normal. I read it somewhere, it could have been a comment. So please disregard if I can't find it.
Piper
Piper

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:31 am

Piper,

I read that too... LE told them to carry on as normal and it was said in a presser..they touched on the fact that they were at the gym....

Isnt it funny how the media is only saying Terri was there? No mention that Kaine was with her at the gym..pretty biased!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:45 am

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:0OXxTLWcc-YJ:www.katu.com/news/local/96033344.html+%22KATU+News+extended+an+invitation+to+Horman%E2%80%99s+parents+to+speak+to+the+media+after+a+reporter+found+them+at+a+local+gym+Wednesday+after+their+workout.+%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

"KATU News extended an invitation to Horman’s parents to speak to the media after a reporter found them at a local gym Wednesday after their workout.

But the parents drove off...."

------------------ Piper, this article was from Jun 10, 2010..
In it, the investigator is alleged to have explained that the Hormans have been told to carry on in their normal daily activities

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:49 am

Yes, it went wild with her going to the gym, when Kaine was with her all along. Honestly, I was expecting an arrest of Terri after Kaine filed for divorce and got the RO because of information he'd received from LE. But, that hasn't happened and they still don't know where Kyron is.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:49 am

Thanks AJ! I also read the gym was taking donations for searches as well. But I could have read that in a comment, not sure.

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:52 am

It seems they are using psychological tactics on Terri, they don't have anything else or they would arrest her. She has obviously been profiled as the abductor.
LE stated she was cooperating, now she's not?

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by LottieM Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:27 am

awaiting justice wrote:Lottie said,

aj, just wanted to say that I personally was not influenced by the media or anyone else in my suspicion of Terri. I think I beat the media to it actually! :)

----------------------------

Hi Lottie,

Unfortunately, I dont think you are alone! I think many ppl amongst society, have become desensitized in a way where we forget about innocent till proven guilty...and the true meaning of reasonable doubt...

I am not desensitized! Rolling Eyes

I think too many people forget what 'innocent until proven guilty' really means. I'll start by saying what it does NOT mean....It does NOT mean I can't think someone is guilty of a crime in my own mind. And it does NOT mean I can't post my thoughts here.

What it DOES mean is... a person can't be legally convicted of a crime in a court of law until they've had due process to determine they are guilty beyond any reasonable doubt, whereby they are sentenced to some form of punishment for the crime they have been determined to be guilty of.

Reasonable cause is another thing....a person can't even be arrested without reasonable cause that suggests they very likely could end up being found guilty of what they are being arrested for. Yet, even upon an arrest based on reasonable cause, the person is still innocent until a court of law finds the evidence against them to be enough to find them guilty of what they were arrested for.

Now...while it's true many people have been falsely convicted of crimes they didn't commit, this indeed shows the failings of our system in that sometimes a person can be at the wrong place at the wrong time doing suspicious things...and for lack of any other person to investigate for the crime, the wrong person takes the hit for it.

And it is certainly true that sometimes LE gets their minds set on a particular individual and makes a case around them rather than look elsewhere while the real offender walks free.

Sometimes leads that don't match the focus LE has taken on an investigation are ignored and the case becomes cold.

But by and large, LE gets it right most of the time. There are far fewer cases of people being wrongly convicted than there are those who have been rightfully convicted....and there are also cases where no one has been arrested for a crime because LE has had to work within tight confines of 'reasonable doubt' to even make an arrest.

I don't usually hop on a POI in my mind unless one jumps out at me right away. And I can honestly say I've NEVER jumped on a bandwagon the media or LE has set just because they're saying it. I'm not a follower in life and never have been. I make up my own mind regardless because I don't like to be wrong in accusing others of something they might not have done...because I wouldn't want that to happen to me. But Terri jumped out at me! She's weird in her words and behavior! And the more I follow the FACTS of this case, the weirder she gets...hence, I have changed her, in my mind, from POI to Suspect.....STILL....she is innocent until proven guilty!

Will Terri be arrested? Guilty or innocent, she won't be arrested until LE has reasonable cause to believe once arrested she will be found guilty in a trial. And I'll go a step further and say she won't be arrested until they find enough evidence that will secure her in jail without bond (or at least a high enough bond it won't be likely anyone will bail her out). Until that happens, Terri will not be arrested, nor will she be named a POI or Suspect by legal authorities....but for us message boardies?....I am entitled to my opinion that it's just a matter of time before Terri is arrested for some part in Kyron's disappearance.

Did she kill him? Or is he fine, and she's not saying where he is? Only time will tell.

Are others involved? Possibly!

Interesting case....

LottieM
LottieM

Mood : Excited

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:46 am

I hope he is alive, I can't get this little boy off my mind. This case just keeps stranger as each day goes on.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:10 pm

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:14 pm

Desiree's first words are "Kyron is still alive"

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by KariBear Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:28 pm

I agree with you Piper, this is one perplexing case. I just can't figure out a motive. If TH did this why? It just doesn't make sense.
KariBear
KariBear

Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:04 pm

I agreed w/ Mark Klaas last night - why in the WORLD would the family ostracize one of the media outlets? esp, from my understanding, 2 of the larger outlets? Just because they said something that the family didn't like or what?? If they were so concerned about getting info out about Kyron - I'm not sure I would care, even if it was NG!!! like or not, she DOES have a large following, and I think if my child was missing, I would want anyone and everyone to be talking about it... that was odd behavior from the family of a missing child, and an action that i have only seen duplicated once - by the anthonys...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:10 pm

I remember Ed Smart was the same way.. He said that Elizabeth was still alive and she was so lucky! Her dad was right..

It has to be so hard to believe such a loss of life cud be real, especially when there is no evidence (blood etc) and no remains to see with your own eyes.. I cant imagine..

I think it wud be comforting for a parent in this horrible situation to believe theor child was dead..until you see something different. It gives them hope and lets them get by each hour.

I imagine there are times when they doubt he is alive but continue to have hope...its prolly the only way they can survive for now..

I remember watching the Harringtons in their pleas and they told the media at every oppurtunity, that they believed Dana was alive.. Then when her remains were found, Mr. Harrington said that despite his words ..he said yhey knew she was gone... How sad...

Back to top Go down

Post by LottieM Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:31 pm

What a strange plea from the family....starting with "Kyron is still alive!".....they didn't say they thought he was still alive...they're talking like they know it for a fact. Hmmm....

I hope he is still alive! I hope Terri has just hidden him and is playing some role playing adventure called "Find Kyron"....

I'm glad Desirae had time to curl her hair. :)
LottieM
LottieM

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:38 pm

I was just reading on the thread for Venus Stewart and something really popped out at me - Doug (venus' husband accused of murdering her) met his co-conspirator/impersonator that covered for him while he committed this horrible crime on while playing Call of Duty and Halo 3 on Xbox - which is VERY similar to world of warcraft which is what terri plays apparently. I know when my ex played, their conversations weren't so innocent either - I'm not condemning everyone that plays those types of games, but they are violent and brutal - and some very bad ppl lurk there apparently. It was just the commonality between the 2 cases that popped out at me - i Know that if we look hard enough, we can find many similarities between each and every case though. just my food for thought today.

Back to top Go down

Post by khintx Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:42 pm

I think the whole damn family is fruitloops...... every single one of em! kh
khintx
khintx

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:09 pm

You know kh, I'm starting to wonder about them myself. I know they are under extreme grief, but some things just seem...off. And I can't put my finger on it.

I realize if me and my family were "under the microscope" as GA would say, we would probably seem odd too I guess. I don't know.

I hope Kyron is alive and tomorrow is a new day, hopefully we'll hear some good news.
Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:11 pm

khintx wrote:I think the whole damn family is fruitloops...... every single one of em! kh

It sure is seeming that way, isn't it kh????
Snaz
Snaz

Mood : Whistling

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:12 pm

Hearing set for this afternoon about the RO:

http://www.kptv.com/news/24124386/detail.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:17 pm

And the family will be doing weekly media appearances until Kyron comes home...
I just don't get that really... it doesn't set well with me, but I can't really put my finger on why. I would definitely say that maybe if there was a break in the case, but they have already pled their case in the media a few times now - which I would say is normal... I don't recall any other family doing this weekly schedule - how about ya'll?

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/kyron_hormans_family_plans_reg.html

Back to top Go down

Post by MissMonkey Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:05 pm

In the Tori Stafford case, the mother held DAILY pressers to keep the story fresh in everyone's mind even though there was nothing new to report. At the time people thought it was odd and that she was guilty of 'something' to do with the disappearance but she was just a mother hoping against hope that her daughter would make it home.

MissMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:24 pm

you're right missmonkey, I do remember that now... but many times she wouldnt' show up - which made her look even more suspicious... hope the Horman's take note of that...

Back to top Go down

Post by LottieM Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:29 pm

tish wrote:I was just reading on the thread for Venus Stewart and something really popped out at me - Doug (venus' husband accused of murdering her) met his co-conspirator/impersonator that covered for him while he committed this horrible crime on while playing Call of Duty and Halo 3 on Xbox - which is VERY similar to world of warcraft which is what terri plays apparently. I know when my ex played, their conversations weren't so innocent either - I'm not condemning everyone that plays those types of games, but they are violent and brutal - and some very bad ppl lurk there apparently. It was just the commonality between the 2 cases that popped out at me - i Know that if we look hard enough, we can find many similarities between each and every case though. just my food for thought today.

I wonder how many of the family played WOW? So the media is only mentioning Terri....more of them could be playing, just like when only Terri was mentioned going to the gym but Kaine went too.

You all know how I feel about the probability of WOW being a factor in this case. In case you don't, I think it's highly probable!

I keep watching Desirae's plea...and I want so badly to believe she's truly distressed! And she does appear to be, with her irregular breathing and stumbling for words....but I haven't quite been able to make myself believe her! She appears to be acting....and she appeared to me she was acting in that media interview with Kaine.
Now, speaking of Kaine...he's a cool cucumber for a dad whose son could be in God know what sort of situation!

khintx wrote:I think the whole damn family is fruitloops...... every single one of em! kh

Agreed! 200%
LottieM
LottieM

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Sheriff: Kyron Horman search at $300,000; no arrests, no missing boy

Published: Friday, July 02, 2010, 2:09 PM
Updated: Friday, July 02, 2010, 2:31 PM
Helen Jung, The Oregonian

The search and investigation into Kyron Horman’s disappearance has cost Multnomah County about $300,000 so far, with no arrests and no discovery of the 7-year-old since he vanished from Skyline School on June 4.

Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton said all but one of his seven detectives are working on the case with another 14 investigators from other agencies. They are chasing down leads that come from the tip line as well clues gleaned from interviews with community members.

But as Kyron’s disappearance hits the four-week anniversary and costs mount for the cash-strapped county, Staton could not say whether an arrest or resolution is coming any time soon -- nor how long the office can afford to sustain the effort.

“Ultimately, if we are unable to find Kyron, this could turn into a cold case,” Staton acknowledged in an exclusive interview with The Oregonian. “At some point I’m going to have to make a final decision that this has got to move in a different direction. But right now the way I’ve got it set up, and the way I’ve been working with investigations and the FBI, the other agencies, we will downscale appropriately based on their availability (and) the funding sources.”

More:
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/sheriff_kyron_horman_search_at.html
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life
Mood : Musical

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:40 pm

Right on the heels of them saying "this will not be a cold case for us"... i suggest they CHECK THE LANDFILLS!!! and LET THE PUBLIC HELP!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by LottieM Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:40 pm

tish wrote:And the family will be doing weekly media appearances until Kyron comes home...
I just don't get that really... it doesn't set well with me, but I can't really put my finger on why. I would definitely say that maybe if there was a break in the case, but they have already pled their case in the media a few times now - which I would say is normal... I don't recall any other family doing this weekly schedule - how about ya'll?

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/kyron_hormans_family_plans_reg.html

That doesn't set right with me either Tish....don't know why...this case is so crazy, I wouldn't be surprised to find out it was an elaborate hoax.
LottieM
LottieM

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:07 pm

Can this family do anything right?

How can many of us possibly know what the proper way to talk, think, style our hair, etc...

I think we watch too much CSI shows..lol

Maybe Dr. Lillian Glass will write a " how to act" if one is ever in this position.....

Back to top Go down

Post by LottieM Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:17 pm

awaiting justice wrote:Can this family do anything right?

How can many of us possibly know what the proper way to talk, think, style our hair, etc...

I think we watch too much CSI shows..lol

Maybe Dr. Lillian Glass will write a " how to act" if one is ever in this position.....

aj, really....I don't see anyone on RC making opinions based on watching too much CSI...or even listening to media. I think everyone on here is simply astute and has a mind of their own. :)
LottieM
LottieM

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:34 pm

Snipped from Julie's post:

“Ultimately, if we are unable to find Kyron, this could turn into a cold case,” Staton acknowledged in an exclusive interview with The Oregonian. “At some point I’m going to have to make a final decision that this has got to move in a different direction. But right now the way I’ve got it set up, and the way I’ve been working with investigations and the FBI, the other agencies, we will downscale appropriately based on their availability (and) the funding sources.”

This just floors me! Honestly, I don't think they have a clue as to who took Kyron. It seems all fingers have been pointing at Terri, if they do feel Terri was responsible........why would he make the above statement?

Piper
Piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:42 pm

I've become better at keeping an open mind since I became an admin here. I was ready to convict Misty Croslin at one point in the Haleigh Cummings case, but there is something to it when people bring up the point that she would have been arrested in that case by now if they had any evidence against her. Then again, they haven't arrested Josh Powell yet in the disappearance of his wife Susan and I think he is guilty as sin. I'm still undecided on this case, but I don't see anything wrong with having opinions on a blog site as long as you don't state them as fact.

LE are the ones who I hold responsible when a perp goes undetected because they choose to operate with tunnel vision on a family member. They need to keep their minds open to all possibilities, and in the case of a missing child, I think checking landfills right away should be as standard as checking the cell phone pings of the last person who saw the child alive. They should do everything they can to solve a case and make sure the right person is arrested for the crime regardless of what the public is saying. If I was a detective, public opinion would have no bearing on the way I proceeded.
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Mood : Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:55 pm

I agree AJ, even Andrea Lyon could help along those lines too...Might supplement her income so she can take on another pro bono case...
Estee
Estee

Mood : Neener

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Kyron Horman investigation: Transcript of interview with Sheriff Dan Staton

Updated: Friday, July 02, 2010, 4:24 PM

Kyron Horman -- Missing 6/4/10 #1 - Page 10 Staton10

Helen Jung and Kate Mather, staff writers for The Oregonian, intererviewed Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton on this morning about the ongoing search for Kyron Horman. Here are the transcribed excerpts of the interview:

Jung: "Well I guess if we could first start by talking about the scope of the investigation. If you can give us an idea of how many people and what kind of resources you have dedicated to this effort and what kind of cost that is?"

Staton: "Right now the number of resources versus when we started the initial phases of looking for Kyron, up to this point, obviously we've reduced them down because the scope of the investigation has changed significantly. Initially we had approximately between 35 and 40 search and rescue groups from around the state of Oregon, some from Washington, some from Northern California, that supported our effort in looking for Kyron and we employed them along with our own search and rescue groups. The total base initially -- during the first five days of the search we had approximately 562 searchers initially. Then that significantly increased and we were up to about 1,200 searchers until we had completed all aspects of the search at that point.

"In conjunction with the search and rescue operation we employ detectives because they investigate difference aspects regarding information that is gathered. Searchers spend their time searching the areas that are designated or identified as target areas the investigators and detectives that we bring into play they start the canvassing and start the questioning of people that are on scene - the people who may have potentially seen our missing person - and then they start developing their leads. And what they do is they coordinate those efforts with search and rescue to target those areas or expand on the search based on the information they are gathering.

"This was the initial phase. Once we exhausted the search, what we had employed at that point, we utilized aircraft with floor units to assist in the ground coverage. We had obviously our standard searchers that worked the ground consistently. We brought in various K-9 units - at one point we had 19 separate K-9 units that were available and assisted us in the operation. Those numbers went up and we employed the K-9 - both the tracking dogs and bloodhounds because of the breeze and what they actually look for. Those were employed in the operation and at that point it was just continuing bringing in the resources - the resources and the availability of the sheriff's office or other sheriffs have. At this point, based on previous searches and how we've developed it, we've have the cooperative agreements between the sheriff's regarding search and rescue and how we're going to deploy because we know that it's very costly. It's very expensive. And not one agency is incapable of absorbing that type of a cost, so the sheriff's offices primarily because they focus on search and rescue. That's what we're trained to do, we train our staff and our volunteers to do that. We employ the other sheriff's offices throughout the state and the sheriff's offices from outside of our own state to come in to assist.

"One of the major, major players in this which you don't normally call in initially but I had them called in the very first day that this started was the FBI. I felt because of the circumstances behind this type of a search, the fact that it involved a child, it was inside of a school was the last known sight of the child, this was significant to me. It was very important and I felt that I needed to have all of the resources available. This is an unusual circumstance for a child to come up missing inside a school.

"So these were the resources employed. Getting back to the financial end of it -- let me say this first, I don't put a dollar figure on a child who is vulnerable and I won't do that. And I will employ whatever it is that I have available to me to try to locate a child or someone that is vulnerable.

"So setting that aside, I mean we can talk about the finances. We started tabulating the finances from the day that this operation started. The search and rescue plan and how it operates -- you have a finance section, you have planning, you have a research section, it's segmented out across the board and our finance section actually has been running a consistent total. It's not up to date but they've got the numbers coming in they're applying them to the appropriate accounts. We've set up ... an element here in our budget system that tracks only that and everything goes into that. It keeps it tabulated in that account.

"The other thing that I did -- which it's imperative to do -- is make sure I communicate with the Board of County Commissioners, with the chair, what is it that we're doing, what we're employing. They've been fully appraised as to the expenses. They're more than willing to support this operation, they know the importance of it. At this point, they have not responded in any fashion other than, 'You do what it is that you need to do. You're the expert in this area, your folks are the experts in this area. Go ahead and proceed.' And they've just wanted to be informed as to what the costs are going to be. And at this point we don't have an exact figure. I can give you an estimate, but it won't be an exact. For our agency alone we're probably looking at approximately $300,000.

"On the other end of it, now that we are downscaling - because this has now turned into a criminal investigation. The fact that it's a criminal investigation, obviously the search and rescue group we keep a small contingency of search and rescue for information that's developed so they can hit target areas that come out of the information that's come in. The investigators right now - we've got about 20. We're still being supported by other agencies and these agencies are working with our detectives. The bulk of our detectives are committed to this investigation and what we've done is we've reprioritized the investigations that we're currently looking at, but the bulk of and the contingency of our detectives unit is now assigned to this investigation."

Jung: "How many detectives do you have?"

Staton: "In our particular -- right now we've got seven that are assigned as detectives for our agency in our detective unit, so we've got seven. Almost all of them are committed to this investigation. We have one that is tracking other complaints coming in, prioritizing, looking at those to make sure that we're on top of what we need to be and also for the rotational for the other detectives that are currently assigned."

Jung: "And you have a total of 20 investigators from the MCSO devoted to this?"

Staton: "Twenty investigators total."

Jung: "Total. So that's the seven detectives plus 13 from other agencies?"

Staton: "Right. And these agencies are still assisting. This doesn't include the support we're still receiving from the FBI in this investigation."

Jung: "And who -- are the other agencies picking up the cost of devoting investigators to this?"

Staton: "The other agencies we've been supported by the Portland Police Bureau, the Port of Portland Police, we've been supported by Troutdale, Fairview, Gresham, Beaverton Police Department, the list goes on ... there's no specific group, we're just on this rotational piece. They'll pull out to get things organized within their own organizations, and other agencies have then brought people into cover for that. It's just been a constant rotation. I can give you a list of agencies but the agencies are astronomical that have actually stepped up and said, 'We're here.'"

Jung: "And they're absorbing their costs from committing people to it?"

Staton: "Yes."

Jung: "OK. And so the estimate is about $300,000 in cost to MCSO?"

Staton: "That would be to the county."

Jung: "To the county, OK. So is the county then just kind of paying the bills on that or is it just a running tab or what's going to happen?"

Staton: "Right now it's a running tab. What I've got internally is that I will have to look at my budget internally and start making adjustments internally to absorb these expenses which is going to be extremely difficult for the sheriff's office. With our economic times and the way the budget's been structured, the monies that are available -- you know, we're within a finite position so I've got to look at each one of my units internally and I have to figure out where I can shave a savings off to create a funding source to support this. But the Board has also made it very clear that they will support this and that they will make every effort to financially support the position of the sheriff's office and this investigation."

Jung: "But at this point there isn't a clear source of funding for it?"

Staton: "We are using existing dollars. We having to create our own by basically realigning what it is."

Jung: "And so what have you cut back on as a result?"

Staton: "Well right now we're still in the midst of looking at the individual units. We don't have to pay these figures or these dollar amounts right now at this point in time. So I've got our finance department working with the county finance and what they're doing is they're looking at what it is we're going to have to do and then I'm going to have to make the decision through the command staff of what I have to target as potentially cost savings to support."

Kate Mather: "At what point will you have to make that decision? Is it once the search has culminated?"

Staton: "It's going to have to -- the decision's going to have to be made during the month of July because I'm sure that we're going to have to start paying our debt off in August for the food services that have been provided during this operation, obviously the overtime costs."

Jung: "Are those the primary - what would be the primary chunk of the $300,000? Is it the labor?"

Staton: "That's going to be personnel."

Jung: "Personnel."

Staton: "Because we flooded -- right now we've got not just our detectives working on this investigation. We've had our patrol sections, search and rescue, and we've also had our dive team actively involved in it, our partrol section, because this is a 24/7 investigation. It hasn't stopped. And what's had to happen is that I've had to pull from the other units in the law enforcement division, also our corrections division, to support staffing this.

"I mean our people right now, quite frankly, are emotionally drained. This has been a critical point for them. They've dedicated and given up time, their personal time. They're exhausted. I know that. If you go out and spend time with them and you actually talk to them and look at them you can actually see it. They've become emotionally invested in this and in a lot of cases it's very hard to get them to break away. They're focused on the child -- it's become a focal point for them. They want this resolved. ... I actually have to order these people to go home. I have to find a replacement and tell them they've got to go home because they just refuse to do that."

Jung: "How long can you keep going at this rate? I mean, both the emotional toll as well as the financial toll?"

Staton: "This is one of the things that we're working on right now because I feel very strongly about this and I don't think there isn't anybody -- I don't think the commissioners feel any different than I do. It's something we want resolved. We do not want this to turn into a cold case. It's an important issue because it's a child, it involves a school, it involves this community. We are downscaling based on what we are accomplishing. Throwing as much as we did into this investigation initially was extremely important. We closed out a lot of work that would have taken months to do. We accomplished months of work within a week to a week-and-a-half's time. We closed out areas that we would have needed to look at, new areas have opened up and we have downscaled to meet the needs of this investigation. So the investigation is going to go on.

"Yes, I realize at some point I'm going to have to make a final decision that this has got to move in a different direction. But right now the way I've got it set up and the way I've been working with investigators and the FBI, the other agencies, we will downscale appropriately based on their availability, the funding sources. ... You know as well as I do that ultimately, if we are unable to find Kyron, this could turn into a cold case - but we're not going to allow it to happen. The investigation has been very successful at this point, it's been very productive. I think they're doing an exceptional job. I believe that they will be able to close this case. I believe, and if you're going to ask me the question do I believe Kyron is still alive, there's nothing that's come out of this investigation that has indicated to me that he is not alive. They've developed nothing that would say otherwise."

Jung: "Is there any evidence that shows he is still alive? Have you seen any confirmation?"

Staton: "Right now that I can't comment on as to what they have developed on that end of it. But what I can tell you is that through the investigators and what I've been briefed on in my involvement in this investigation, is that there's nothing that's been developed that would tell me to change the direction or course of this investigation and that he's still alive and we're going to go on that premise."

Jung: "One of the things that we talked about yesterday was just the discussion about, or the family asking for Terri Horman's full cooperation. And you know that she had hired an attorney. Do you know if since then she has pulled back or if she's either refused to respond to interviews or anything along those lines?"

Staton: "At this point, I can't comment on that. There's been no indication with regards to the particular family issues, that is a personal issue I believe that you would have to contact the parties of the family and obtain that information through them. But with regards to the cooperation level, I couldn't comment on that at this point."

Mather: "Sheriff, earlier when this all began Capt. Gates was very emphatic when he said that the office fully believes this is an isolated incident. Do you still stand by that, can you comment on that? Do you really believe this is just a one-time thing that happened?"

Staton: "Right at this particular point we have nothing that indicates that this is a serial type of event. Nothing's been developed in the course of the investigation that would leave us to believe that."

Jung: "Is there any evidence though that you can offer to say that this is why? Because in the absence of anything saying it's - you're saying there's nothing to show there's a serial abductor out there. Is there anything to say that this is someone he knew?"

Staton: "That I couldn't comment on."

Jung: "Because we do get calls every day from readers, from the public being concerned about -- do they really have someone in mind or, for instance, the incident out in St. Helens -- is there someone who could still be out there - a stranger taking children?"

Staton: "The only comment that I could have on that right now is we have no evidence that there is anybody -- that there's a serial -- that this is a serial type of event that's taking place. The St. Helens event -- after going through, listening to what actually transpired the interview process, their investigation on that, it's not related to this event. That is a separate isolated event and there's nothing that would indicate we have one person running around. It just fell into that category. This is one of the reasons why this particular investigation did not jump into that investigation. Had it led to that belief I believe we would have went in that direction."

Jung: "Can you comment on Terri Horman? Is she a person of interest and do you believe she is connected with his disappearance?"

Staton: "That I can't comment on. I'm sorry."

Jung: "What else could you say to reassure the public that this truly is not a serial, that there isn't a general public threat considering there's no evidence one way or the other it sounds like?"

Staton: "What I would tell you right at this point is that if I was led to believe during the course of this investigation that this was an issue that parents needed to be concerned with, the school districts needed to be concerned with, that our law enforcement community needed to be concerned with, you'd be hearing that from me right now sitting at this table that we have got a situation and everybody needs to be aware of it and we need to start building in the appropriate precautions.

"What I can say is that ultimately when this investigation is over with we will be doing a post-study on this entire investigation -- everybody's involvement, across the board. And we will be able to identify those things that we personally can improve on but we can also identify what I believe would be the weaknesses that may have or could have attributed to this. Those are the things that come out of a post-evaluation on this type of a thing. And this is something that once that's complete - the public will be actively involved, obviously your paper will be actively involved in that -- that information needs to go out because if there are concerns, I think we as a community, our public officials need to start making adjustments internally to protect our children."

Mather: "Is that post-study routine for every investigation or is just for something as large as this is?"

Staton: "No, we do that after every investigation. There is a post-study that is done so that we can identify any potential improvements that we can make during the course of an investigation so that if it happens again. I can tell you right now that in my entire career, everything that's ever come up out of a post we've never come out of it where they've said or we've decided that everything ran perfectly. There's always been something we can improve on and I don't think you're ever going to come across there where you say 'Yeah, we've covered everything.' We always end up coming up with developing something that's going to add what we do in our investigations, our searches, and we're going to continue to do that."

Jung: "What does the investigation look like now? For instance, things that investigators are doing today since there's not an active or large search effort going on -- tell me what it entails."

Staton: "Well it's very aggressive. The detectives are taking everything that they're getting. This is part of the reason why I'm sitting with you here today is that this continues leads coming in. There are people that weren't in town when this happened or are just now becoming aware of it. And they're seeing the pictures, what's coming out. We get additional information we look into those pieces of information. The number of leads at one point were up around 1,000, they're double that at this point, if not triple at this point. The leads are very important to us, while a lot of them are cold leads obviously, there are a lot of leads that have helped us to develop this case as it's moved forward."

Jung: "And are these leads, for instance, just people who believe they saw Kyron or people who perhaps saw they're reporting, 'Oh, I remember seeing Terri Horman at the school.'"

Staton: "A lot of the leads basically are that have come in and some of them I've looked at have been suggestions in a lot of cases. The citizens who live up in that particular segment of our community they live there they know that's going on. They know the dynamics and they provide information on things that we would never really think of regarding the dynamics of the community that help us to look at different areas or ask specific types of questions."

Mather: "Do you still have tips continuing to come in on the tip line?"

Staton: "Yes."

Mather: "Two weeks ago, I believe, there was the flier that was released asking for more information about Terri and the truck she was driving that day. Are there any other plans to do a larger push for more information of the area?"

Staton: "That's what our investigators will look at. They'll make the determination as to what types of information that they're going to want to expand upon. I'm sure you're going to see some type of information come out similar to that. But it's actually sifting through each piece of information that's coming in and actually taking a hard look at it."

Jung: "And is there anything in terms of Kaine's decision to get divorced from Terri Horman -- the statement that was released suggested that there was information revealed by investigators that lead to that break-up. Is there anything you can tell be about if they had met with Kaine to brief him about the investigation and is there anything that you know of that led to that?"

Staton: "That I can't comment on. I - I don't believe there's anything indication that would lead me to believe that, but I can't comment on that."

Jung: "Is the sheriff's office still briefing Terri on the investigation?"

Staton: "I believe -- well, now that she has a lawyer representing her at this particular point, information going through now goes through a formal process and you have to do that. That's simply the facts behind that. But getting back to whether or not she's cooperating or not, that I can't comment on because I've got no indications to the contrary on that."

Jung: "I guess part of the confusion on that is that investigators are speaking directly to Kaine and Desiree and Tony while Kaine does have an attorney -- a divorce attorney. So things don't have to go through -- investigators aren't forced to go through his lawyer to talk to him."

Staton: "Right. On the personal issues, the family issues and so forth, that's something that I can't comment on because that's within the family, that's their privy. If it involves the investigation, the contact with the family is obviously going to continue on the investigative side. Personal issues we're not going to address."

Jung: "OK. And with Terri -- the fact that she has an attorney -- that you are perceiving to be as part of the criminal investigation?"

Staton: "That I can't comment on."

Jung: "But you are bound to go through her attorney as opposed to talk to her directly?"

Staton: "There's a formal process and obviously we can -- if you had an attorney I could come and I could talk to you but I would also know that I'm also obligated to coordinate any conversations I may have in a formal process through your attorney. That would be your purpose in having an attorney."

Jung: "Can you -- have you had -- does Terri Horman -- have you indicated to her that she may be a focus of this investigation?"

Staton: "I can't comment on that."

Jung: "And have you found anything to suggest that Terri could be a danger to her husband or her daughter?"

Staton: "I can't comment on that either. I'm sorry."

Jung: "There are a couple of other things that we had heard. One: Sauvie Island, that there were cell phone pings from Terri Horman's cell phone that pinpointed her on being Sauvie Island the day of Kyron's disappearance. Can you talk about that at all?"

Staton: "That portion of the investigation I can't talk about. I'm sorry."

Jung: "And also was Kaine at the bus stop with Terri waiting for Kyron?"

Staton: "I can't comment on that. I'm sorry."

Mather: "He said that in the interviews last week."

Lt. Mary Lindstrand: "He did. But he wasn't there when he made that statement."

Staton: "I'm telling you that on that end of it I couldn't comment on it because I have no knowledge of it."

Jung: "At this point, you were talking a little bit about the investigation and I think we interrupted you -- they're continuing to receive leads and look into those, that there have been areas that have been taken off the list. Can you tell me what some of those areas that have been taken off the list are?"

Staton: "Most of those were portrayed at one of the media pieces that Capt. Gates held. The areas we're looking at are all within the scope of the search area in which I'm sure that you can get access to the map that actually shows what was actually covered during that process. These are areas that were identified. A lot of those areas came in also as part of leads and suggestions that we may need to check. Again this goes back to having a media source that gets out there because there are dynamics about this area that we can use topographical maps but there are areas, for instance, where kids play and a stream comes through that can be target areas as well. This kind of information we need to have and the actual scope of the search again I'm sure that we can get the same map that we provided so you can look at everything that was covered through the air support and the ground support and the use of K-9."

Jung: "And those have been cleared?"

Staton: "They've gone through those, in some cases, some of those areas were gone through four separate times using multiple techniques, either dogs and searchers, dogs and/or the aircraft, but combinations of two or three sources going through the area."

Jung: "And was there any sign of Kyron found that he had gone through that way or anything?"

Staton: "No."

Jung: "Is it believed that he was taken from the school then, in a vehicle?"

Mather: "There's been obviously a lot of national attention and focus and people around the country are keeping an eye out for Kyron. Is the major investigation still centered in Multnomah County or have you expanded it to other areas?"

Staton: "This investigation covers any potential leads. Anything that comes in, whether it's restricted or confined to that particular community or it's outside that community. If it's something that needs to be looked at, then we have an obligation to look at it. This is part of what makes an investigation difficult is that you can't just focus on one area. We have nothing that indicates one way or the other that he's in that area or outside of it so we are going to continue to build off of any leads that come in."

Jung: "There are still search crews going to targeted areas?"

Staton: "We've got search crews -- our own county search crews -- we have a contingency that are set in place as information comes in and we need to utilize them they are deployed out to target areas that have been identified."

Mather: "Does that include the dive teams?"

Staton: "The dive teams are also part of that. They are part of our search and rescue group."

Jung: "About the investigation -- it's now been four weeks and the statistics suggest that things happen much earlier, or the longer that it draws out, the likelihood of success gets smaller. My question is, from a lay person's or an outsider's point of view, there's a lot of impatience for an arrest or for some kind of positive movement that shows that this case is closing or that it's zeroed in on someone. There hasn't been that in this. Has the investigation stalled?"

Staton: "No. The investigation hasn't stalled. Helen, it's really hard to describe how an investigation transpires, but as it progresses you need to have enough information to do the things that you should be doing. We've gotten information, we've closed certain avenues that were opened up through sources that came in, new potential sources have come in, we're going to continue to investigation. When you start talking about percentages and odds -- it depends on what the situation is. In some cases the odds are very poor, in other case, depending on the situation, the odds are still very good. It just depends on where you're focusing and right now, as I said earlier, there is nothing that we have received evidence-wise that has indicated to us that we need to change the course of this investigation. We still believe that, and we will perceive, that Kyron is alive and that we will be able to locate him."

Mather: "You kind of touched on this earlier, but four weeks into it, obviously your teams are very invested in this case. Can you comment on the toll -- this is the largest investigation the county has ever dealt with and one of the largest the state's ever dealt with -- what kind of toll does it take on your office and your investigators?"

Staton: "It's emotional. It's very emotional for them. I've seen some of them break down. They just need time."

Mather: "Is it emotional for you?"

Staton: "Yeah. It is. I was up there quite a bit and have been up there and I've been with the detectives and its ... it just seems ... it doesn't quite get to where you'd like it to get and you start becoming concerned. I have a child of my own."

Jung: "Are you concerned that you're not going to be able to close this case?"

Staton: "I believe we're going to be able to close it. I really do. If you ask me this next week, I might give you another answer but right now I believe we're going to close -- we will be able to close this."

Jung: "Do you feel an arrest is imminent?"

Jung: "In terms of what will move this investigation forward, are you looking just depending on leads coming in from the tip line, is it interviews with the family members, what are the elements you think can actually ...?”

Staton: "All of them that you've mentioned. New leads help us build off of old leads. If we've got a lead that we're working on -- and this applies to any case -- you've got a lead that you're working on and you haven't closed that lead out and there's another piece of information that comes in from another source that will add to that, it helps expand on that. And potentially that lead will take us somewhere. That's what we're looking for and that's one of the reasons why I'm talking with you. Keeping this out there -- people think of things. And we do take suggestions -- please you communicate this to your readers. We take these suggestions that come in. It may not be a lead where you're pointing at an individual or a location or anything like that but taking a suggestion."

Jung: "What have been some of those suggestions? Like, look at this property?"

Staton: "Right. You look at various types of property, you may what to look in a different location from where you're at. Some people have talked about their own children and the observations they've seen in their own children and they suggest that Kyron may have the same -- may do the same types of things. You may want to check into this or that. It's an important element."

Jung: "I understand that you've received thousands of tips. Are they pointing in any -- are they all pointing in different directions?"

Staton: "Different. They're go in different directions. Some of them are similar directions, others are different directions, but we have to check every lead. At the end of the day when everything is said and done and once this investigation is closed, and we do start assessing it, I don't expect to sit at the table and have my investigators and the investigators that have supported this investigation tell me that we chose not to look at these leads, no matter how small they were. They should be able to come in and come to the table and say that every lead that came in somebody got assigned to that and closed it out, either by making a phone call and confirming it or somebody actually going out."

Jung: "Do investigators have a working theory of what happened?"

Staton: "We try not to base it off -- obviously there are theories. But we base everything off of what we get and what we can actually substantiate."

Jung: "Is there any one theory that has some evidence to it that is helping lead the investigation?"

Staton: "That I can't comment on."

Jung: "Has there been an effort to look at sexual predators in the area or have you called that off?"

Staton: "Helen, that's kind of a ridiculous question."

Jung: "Why is that a ridiculous question?

Staton: "I think you kind of have an answer to that already in your own mind."

Jung: "OK, well -"

Staton: "Why would any investigator not look at every aspect? When we bring in our investigators, we're bringing in investigators that are child abuse experts, they're homicide experts, they're experts in abduction -- they're experts across the board. They start outlining what the plan's going to be and we're going to look here, here, here, here and here, and they gather all of the sources and information."

Jung: "And are they still doing that?"

Staton: "Obviously."

Jung: "In terms of looking at sexual predators right in the area?"

Staton: "That I can't comment on. But what I can say is when we employ investigators in this type of an investigation, not knowing and not having any direction as to what actually happened, you're bringing in experts from every category to start building the plan of what we're going to do and how we're going to do it."

Jung: "Have they interviewed sexual predators in the area?"

Jung: "And can you say whether they've ruled them out?"

Mather: "You talked about all the experts you've brought in and this has obviously been a multi-agency effort. What does that mean for your office that you can bring in fresh detectives and rotate people and the burden doesn't fall solely on your seven detectives and you can pull in these extra detectives and have these extra search teams? What did that mean throughout this investigation?"

Staton: "Well it means a great deal to an agency, to a law enforcement agency and to our public safety entities. I think what it means more to is to the community. The community realizes that there are only so many resources out there and there's only so many resources available to the citizens in any given area. To know that if something major like this transpires, whether it be this or some catastrophe or whatever, that you have an agency that's developed the bonds with the other agencies to be able to pool and support them and help the alleviate the costs across the board. But the key thing is the resources. We have certain resources in Multnomah County that Marion County may not have. Marion County has resources I know we do not have access to. Tualatin Valley, for instance, is another. You've got search and rescue groups from across the country because we search in different types of areas, different types of terrain. Different types of equipment are used. And to be able to pool those in a time of need, is significant."

Lindstrand: "It's economically responsible also."

Staton: "Well, it's fiscally responsible, it's economically responsible, but it gets back to the fact that one agency can't have everything."

Jung: "Do you know at this point on a weekly basis what your costs are for this now that it has been scaled back?"

Staton: "That I couldn't tell you. Like I said, this is a running piece. Our finance department is looking at it and at this point it hasn't been finalized or broken down in that type of a configuration."

Jung: "Your fiscal year 2011 budget is $116 million?"

Staton: "Umm, the budget got set aside for a little bit with my thinking on this whole thing. You're pretty close to the correct figure. I believe that our general fund budget is roughly about $100 million and I believe with what we've received from grants and so on and so forth we're pretty close to that vicinity."

Jung: "This would be considered a general fund budget item?"

Staton: "Yes at this particular point."

Jung: "Is this all going to be pushed forward to the FY2011 year?"

Staton: "Part of it will be absorbed in the closing budget but as soon as July 1 came about this is now hitting our 2011 budget at this point."

Jung: "OK. You don't happen to have a surplus at the end of the fiscal year did you?"

Staton: "You know the one thing that's been very good about the sheriff's office in any case is we've been able to, we automatically start our cost savings as soon as the fiscal year starts. I put us on a 4 percent constraint automatically. We generally finish out the year, and we have consistently, with an excess that we return back to the county. Last year, I haven't seen the calculations for obviously 2010, but the 2009 budget we gave back to the county $1.4 million based on the savings that we generated over the year. This year I'm not sure where we've fallen. I haven't seen the final figure, but I know we will be returning a surplus fund to the county this year."

Jung: "So that could help with covering some of these costs?"

Staton: "Well what that does is the money goes back to the county. We have to take our existing money and we've got to develop off of the existing monies. Those monies go back into the general fund and of course they're dispersed based on the discretion of the board."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/kyron_horman_investigation_tra.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:11 pm

Justice4all wrote:I've become better at keeping an open mind since I became an admin here. I was ready to convict Misty Croslin at one point in the Haleigh Cummings case, but there is something to it when people bring up the point that she would have been arrested in that case by now if they had any evidence against her. Then again, they haven't arrested Josh Powell yet in the disappearance of his wife Susan and I think he is guilty as sin. I'm still undecided on this case, but I don't see anything wrong with having opinions on a blog site as long as you don't state them as fact.

LE are the ones who I hold responsible when a perp goes undetected because they choose to operate with tunnel vision on a family member. They need to keep their minds open to all possibilities, and in the case of a missing child, I think checking landfills right away should be as standard as checking the cell phone pings of the last person who saw the child alive. They should do everything they can to solve a case and make sure the right person is arrested for the crime regardless of what the public is saying. If I was a detective, public opinion would have no bearing on the way I proceeded.

Very well said, J4A!! And I agree completely!
Snaz
Snaz

Back to top Go down

Post by LottieM Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:57 pm

On the RO....was it mentioned that Terri also had to stay away from Kyron?
LottieM
LottieM

Back to top Go down

Post by JAG Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:31 am

"Any actions taken by the investigation, or by us, are based on the best interests of Kyron and Kiara and comply with the law."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20397855,00.html

Even thought it does not specifically say it Lottie, I'd say Kyron is included in the R/O.

JAG

http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=24397

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:13 am

Cops: We Think Kyron Horman Is Alive
Say They're Processing Almost 3,000 Leads Looking for Him; Also Say His Stepmother Has Been Cooperating with Them

July 3, 2010

(CBS/ AP) Authorities say they believe a missing 7-year-old Oregon boy is still alive, and said the search for him is progressing faster than most searches of its kind.

Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton said Friday the investigation has been "scaled down" since it began on June 4, but 20 investigators are still working to find Kyron Horman.

"We have no evidence that indicates anything other than the fact that Kyron is still alive and we are going to continue the investigation under that premise," Staton said.

He added, "We have 2,877 leads or tips that are valid that we are using in the course of this investigation."

In a briefing for reporters, Staton also disputed the notion that Kyron's stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, has been uncooperative with investigators.

More:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/07/03/earlyshow/saturday/main6643494.shtml
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life
Mood : Musical

Back to top Go down

Post by khintx Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:57 pm

I think they're all wierd.... it's an extended family of wierdness. I also think that the hubby and the ex wife and her hubby prolly have things they'd rather not have get out to the press about their own personal behavior(s), and I don't blame them at all cuz I wouldn't either..... but in the end, they aren't gonna look so squeeky clean either. kh
khintx
khintx

Back to top Go down

Post by LottieM Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:22 pm

WEIRD FAMILY Can't even give a scent article!

WEIRD FAMILY bans the reporter from the largest newspaper in Portland...or was that the largest in the whole state of Oregon? I forget...

On a different note....I wonder why Desirae's cop husband chose not to wear his Kyron is Missing t-shirt at the last presser? Terri and Kaine had theirs on...didn't he get the memo?

AND...I wonder if the rumor that LE told Kaine to leave with the baby etc was Desirae's cop husband and not the LE that is on the case?
LottieM
LottieM

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:05 pm

And with all the rest of the family acting as strange (and defiant) as they are, I sure hope LE checks out every one of them really well. I still say we know very little FACTS about this case. Everything we hear appears to be misconstrued somewhere along the way, or details left out even, just to make Terri look bad. I'm thinking if we knew more truth about some of the OTHER family members, THEY might be the ones being scrutinized instead.

Meanwhile, little Kyron is still missing.
Snaz
Snaz

Back to top Go down

Post by LottieM Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:12 pm

Uh oh....Kaine accused the media of not being team players? So he kicked them out of the presser because they were not team players?

Did he really use 'team players'? If so, then I have a prediction.... crystal ball ...Kaine plays WOW!

That 'team player' threat is so important in WOW to insure all players show up and do their best...they will kick you out if you are not a team player....kick you out of the game forever! Only team players are allowed to continue to play the game. ;)
LottieM
LottieM

Back to top Go down

Post by LottieM Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:17 pm

Another WOW point I'd like to make:

Wow schedules their time ingame in advance so all players can make sure they don't have anything else to do but play at a certain time on a certain day. Of course, some teams play more than one day a week...but my point is....

The family is scheduling pressers once a week! Not in between randomly as need be.....they will show up only once a week. Is this WOW mindset?

I know a lot about WOW, but not enough....I wonder if there is such as thing as saving someone at the end of the game? Is someone rescued?
LottieM
LottieM

Back to top Go down

Post by LottieM Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:33 pm

Oh NO! There is a quest in WOW called Rescue..read below

"It would seem that they have taken Gol'dir, our leader, to another location. We must find him and rescue him. But we currently have no clue where he is...When we have a lead, I will be sure to tell you,"

"Durnholde is just southeast of here, across the river. Drull and Tog'thar are being held there, you must go and rescue them.
"

Oh, never mind...go here to read more....

http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:The_Rescue

Seriously, could some sick WOW player have taken this quest to real life? (like even an older kid from the school?) And Terri and whoever else plays is charged to go find Kryon? This sort of thing happened in the Dungeons and Dragons era a LOT!

I know it sounds crazy! But I don't know....

If I were a cop on this case, just in case WOW may be a factor, I'd find out if Terri played for the Alliance or the Horde...then start looking for PIO's on the one she's not on, because the Alliance and the Horde are enemies always trying to trick each other into all sorts of things. So like, if she played on the Horde side, I'd check local kids who play on the Alliance side...see if any go to Skyline.
LottieM
LottieM

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:00 am

Lottie, how is it you know so much about WOW? I never even HEARD of it before this!!!
Snaz
Snaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:13 am

Sheriff: 'Everyone is a person of interest' in Kyron case

Kyron Horman -- Missing 6/4/10 #1 - Page 10 10061310

By KVAL.com staff
Story Published: Jul 3, 2010 at 7:43 PM PDT

PORTLAND, Ore. - The search for missing Oregon boy Kyron Horman has cost the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office an estimated $300,000 so far, the sheriff said Friday as the hunt for the boy entered its fourth week.

Sheriff Daniel Staton said that figure does not include contributions from other federal, state and local law enforcement agencies.

He reiterated Friday that investigators believe Kyron is still alive.

"We have the potential opportunity to still bring him home," he said.

Staton said 20 detectives and one deputy district attorney have been assigned to the case full-time. So far, they have received 2,877 tips and reviewed about 60 percent of them.

Fielding questions from reporters about Terri Horman, Kyron's step-mom, Staton said "to date, we no indication she has been uncooperative."

He said the protocol for detectives to talk to Terri Horman has changed since she retained a defense attorney.

Asked whether investigators have an persons of interest in the case, Station said "Everyone is a person of interest. We have not named any suspects at this time."

Anyone with information regarding Kyron Horman whereabouts is asked to call the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office tip line (503) 261-2847 or to dial 911 with emergency information.

http://www.kpic.com/news/97700219.html
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LottieM Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:31 am

Snaz wrote:Lottie, how is it you know so much about WOW? I never even HEARD of it before this!!!

Sadly, my son has played for years! His character has been developing for at least 5 years- probably more like 10 years...I lose track...but his character has become a large part of who he is. His entire life is organized around 'his ingame family'. He's even the leader of a guild family...so his 'responsibilities' are not just to play the game, but to train and nurture others who 'come into the guild' to become 'one of them'. He has to plan the raids, and plan the online social gatherings they have in between raids...these social gatherings (of each person's character) are required as if they are family gatherings as if they are real life. They even sit down to eat together during the day! And they strive to all eat the same thing so it will be more like they really are sitting down together...this is not uncommon with WOW players! It's more like the norm. If you don't know any WOW players in real life, you'd probably not know about this part of the obsession that has nothing to do with raiding, but everything to do with 'family'. I'm pretty sure the game itself includes recipes built in, so this can happen.

And they even take videos of their roleplay off the computer screen while they are playing and show them around like they are family home movies! I'm talking about movies of their animated characters moving about having Christmas and stuff together! Playing with their pets...getting married...you name it! My son is not alone in this either....go have a look on Youtube!
LottieM
LottieM

Back to top Go down

Post by LottieM Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:43 am

tish wrote:I wonder if LE and Desiree are so adamant that Kyron is alive only because there is no evidence to prove otherwise... it's like they are assuming he's alive because they haven't found a body. I DO hope that he is, please don't get me wrong - I hope beyond hope that he has been spared, but realistically, we see very few cases where the captor has been kept alive - and even fewer where the victim is a boy and kept alive, but still I can think of Shaun Hornbeck (?) and have hope that Kyron may indeed still be alive. I guess I don't understand why the family only wants to work w/ LE - and not any private help, because I think for me - at this point - I would be hiring a private detective or a reputable search team to aid in finding my son. I think it's apparent to everyone that LE has hit a brick wall - I have to think that they have, or they would be moving in on someone - and they are, to an extent - they have honed in on Terri and yet refuse to name her either a POI or issue an arrest or even at the very least a search warrant... while they may keep things tight to their vest, I still they they have NO IDEA where Kyron is or who took him at this point...

Great job summarizing the confusion!

There was a recap show on last night of the Holloway case....Beth said she welcomed any media who called her to help get the word out that Natalee was missing. Kyron's family, by contrast, seem to be micromanaging what gets out to the public as well as who they allow to help them search! This cat-and-mouse crap makes no sense!

WHO is the family leader?

LottieM
LottieM

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:52 am

LottieM wrote:
Snaz wrote:Lottie, how is it you know so much about WOW? I never even HEARD of it before this!!!

Sadly, my son has played for years! His character has been developing for at least 5 years- probably more like 10 years...I lose track...but his character has become a large part of who he is. His entire life is organized around 'his ingame family'. He's even the leader of a guild family...so his 'responsibilities' are not just to play the game, but to train and nurture others who 'come into the guild' to become 'one of them'. He has to plan the raids, and plan the online social gatherings they have in between raids...these social gatherings (of each person's character) are required as if they are family gatherings as if they are real life. They even sit down to eat together during the day! And they strive to all eat the same thing so it will be more like they really are sitting down together...this is not uncommon with WOW players! It's more like the norm. If you don't know any WOW players in real life, you'd probably not know about this part of the obsession that has nothing to do with raiding, but everything to do with 'family'. I'm pretty sure the game itself includes recipes built in, so this can happen.

And they even take videos of their roleplay off the computer screen while they are playing and show them around like they are family home movies! I'm talking about movies of their animated characters moving about having Christmas and stuff together! Playing with their pets...getting married...you name it! My son is not alone in this either....go have a look on Youtube!

Wow, Lottie! (No pun intended... Very Happy )

I know there a lot of online games out there on the web that people really get into and take very seriously, but I guess I never thought of how it might affect REAL families...... maybe just kids who are into the goth thing and stuff like that. But I see that the players can be people who otherwise appear perfectly "normal".

Tell me, Lottie, does that game lean towards violence?

I started to say I don't know anyone who plays..... but how would I know???? I actually find it scary that someone.... anyone..... could let something like this WOW game take over their lives.

Thanks for explaining, Lottie... I appreciate it.
Snaz
Snaz

Back to top Go down

Post by JAG Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:58 am

Landscaper tells detectives Terri Moulton Horman offered him money to kill her husband

Published: Sunday, July 04, 2010, 4:00 AM

A landscaper who worked for Kyron Horman's family at their rural Northwest Portland home told authorities that the missing boy's stepmom offered to pay him to kill her husband.

The landscaper told authorities that Terri Moulton Horman approached him with the murder-for-hire plot six to seven months before Kyron disappeared, The Oregonian has learned.

She reportedly offered the landscaper, who advertises his expertise in lawn care, a large sum of money to carry out the scheme, sources say.

Detectives with the Multnomah County Major Crimes Team shared the landscaper's account with Kyron's father, Kaine Horman, last weekend, prompting him to leave the house June 26 with the couple's 19-month-old daughter.

Within two days, he obtained a family law attorney and filed divorce papers and a petition for a restraining order under the Family Abuse Prevention Act.

Investigators also recorded a conversation June 26 among the cooperating landscaper, Terri Horman and an undercover law enforcement officer, but Horman shut down the conversation fairly quickly, sources said.

Detectives later confronted Terri Horman directly with the murder-for-hire allegation, which she denied, sources say. She has not been charged with a crime, as a criminal investigation proceeds.

Terri Horman retained prominent criminal defense lawyer Stephen Houze on Wednesday. Repeated attempts to reach Houze, who was on the East Coast, were unsuccessful. A woman who answered the door at Terri Horman's house Saturday referred questions to her attorney.

Laura Rackner, Kaine Horman's attorney, declined to comment Saturday night other than to say: "I just want to do whatever is going to help law enforcement right now."

After Kyron disappeared June 4, investigators with the county's Major Crimes Team tracked down the landscaper in the course of trying to interview everyone who had contact with the boy's family. They also found it odd that Terri Horman had hired a landscaper without her husband's knowledge.

The landscaper, contacted by The Oregonian last week, confirmed that he was hired to do lawn work at the Horman home off Northwest Sheltered Nook Road. He said he's talked with detectives and could not comment further. His name is being withheld to protect his identity as a cooperating witness in an ongoing criminal investigation.

Detectives last weekend also shared the information they developed about the alleged murder-for-hire scheme with Kyron's mother and stepdad, Desiree and Tony Young -- providing a clearer indication of why the two banded together with Kaine Horman and the three suddenly and publicly distanced themselves from Terri Horman.

On Thursday, Desiree Young, with Kyron's dad and her husband standing behind her, made an emotional plea to Terri Horman before television cameras -- the family's first public statements directed at Kyron's stepmom since the boy disappeared a month ago.

"We implore Terri Horman to fully cooperate with investigators to bring Kyron home," a shaken Young told the media.

Investigators said Terri Horman was the last known person to see Kyron, when she told authorities she left him about 8:45 a.m. June 4 at Skyline School. She snapped a photo of the second-grader wearing a "CSI" T-shirt and beaming a smile beside his science fair exhibit earlier and posted it that day on her Facebook page. She and her husband waited for Kyron at the school bus stop not far from their home that afternoon, and when he didn't get off the bus, they went to the school. The school hadn't contacted the family when Kyron didn't return to his classroom after the science fair.

A large-scale search ensued, with law enforcement and search-and-rescue agencies from across the state, California and Washington combing the expansive hills around Kyron's home and school for days.

Though the sheriff's office has consistently declined to say whether Terri Horman is a suspect or even a person of interest in the case, investigators have intently focused on her the past several weeks.

She was grilled for hours through two polygraph exams, friends and family said. Sources said there were indications of deception during her first polygraph and gaps in the timeline she gave investigators the day Kyron disappeared. Authorities released a flier and questionnaire June 18 featuring photos of Terri Horman and a white truck similar to the one she was driving when she took Kyron to school, asking whether anyone had seen either on June 4.

Last weekend, at 5:17 p.m. June 26, Terri Horman placed a 9-1-1 call, classified as a "threats" call, to Multnomah County dispatchers, and a sheriff's deputy responded. By 11:39 p.m., when her husband and her 19-month-old daughter hadn't returned home, Terri Horman placed another 9-1-1 call, one classified by dispatchers as a "custody" matter. Kaine Horman wasn't at the home when either call was placed, sources said. The sheriff's office has declined to allow the release of the 9-1-1 tapes.

Two nights later, about 6 p.m. Monday, Terri Horman was served the restraining order and divorce papers at her home. About 45 minutes earlier, she had denied to an Oregonian reporter who came to her door that her husband had moved out. She gave a thumbs up, saying, "Everything's good."

A judge grants a restraining order if the petitioner can show that the petitioner or child is in "imminent danger of further abuse" by the respondent, and the respondent represents a "credible threat to the physical safety of petitioner or petitioner's child."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/landscaper_tells_police_terri.html

JAG

http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=24397

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next