Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paula Abdul quits ‘American Idol’

+2
mimi4all
Snaz
6 posters

Go down

Paula Abdul quits ‘American Idol’ Empty Paula Abdul quits ‘American Idol’

Post by Snaz Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:29 pm

Paula Abdul quits ‘American Idol’
‘With sadness in my heart, I've decided not to return to ‘Idol,’’ she tweeted

updated 8:46 a.m. ET, Wed., Aug 5, 2009

LOS ANGELES - If Paula Abdul’s abrupt Twitter announcement that she’s quitting “American Idol” is a contract negotiating ploy, it’s a spectacular one.

If not, she’s potentially blown a hole in TV’s top-rated show — and rejected an eight-figure deal that represented a 30 percent raise, according to a person familiar with the talks. The person, lacking authority to speak publicly, asked not to be identified.

Abdul dropped her online bombshell Tuesday evening, right before season-nine auditions begin Friday in Denver. That has the whiff of a pressure tactic on Abdul’s part, although boycotting the early auditions that skip from city to city might have been a less dramatic way to negotiate.

Read the rest:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32293116/ns/entertainment-reality_tv/
Snaz
Snaz

Mood : Whistling

Back to top Go down

Paula Abdul quits ‘American Idol’ Empty Re: Paula Abdul quits ‘American Idol’

Post by mimi4all Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:48 pm

Snaz, this is sad to me. I know Paula acted a little "out there" at times, but she was so sweet. I loved the little spats between her and Simon. It kept things interesting. I heard on Showbiz tonight that people are saying they won't watch AI without Paula. Do you think it will go downhill now? IDK. I really liked Paula...even if she did act like a nut sometimes, cause so do I... Paula Abdul quits ‘American Idol’ 374627
mimi4all
mimi4all

Back to top Go down

Post by mimi4all Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:02 pm

At first I thought this may be a PR stunt, but now I'm realizing that it was a dispute over money. Hmmm. Paula, to me, is more an asset than Ryan S. They gave him a 45 million dollar contract and wouldnt give Paula a 20 million? IDK. Sounds like maybe they were ready to give her the boot? JMO, but she did make the show more interesting. I bet alot of people will stop watching now. not fair
mimi4all
mimi4all

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:33 pm

Paula’s tweet took ‘Idol’ staffers by surprise

updated 9:03 p.m. ET, Wed., Aug 5, 2009

Paula Abdul’s departure seems to have taken many high-level “American Idol” staffers by surprise.

Many of them learned of the news through Abdul’s Twitter feed, and now it seems like there’s no clear message about whether they’ll replace the judge.

Read the rest:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32301879/ns/entertainment-gossip/
Snaz
Snaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:39 pm

I always liked Paula.... I think she helped make the show what it is today.... why is she any less valuable than Ryan? Or Simon... because you know they pay him a bundle! And I certainly like her a ton more than Kara..... IMO, there's just wasn't the chemistry between Kara and the other two judges as there was with Paula......

And Kara was not as kind to the contestants as Paula. They are just young people hoping to catch a break... and Paula always offered them HOPE.... as well as CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

I think she will be missed.
Snaz
Snaz

Back to top Go down

Post by mimi4all Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:55 pm

Snaz, I totally am on the same page with you.
Paula helped make this show what it was. I got a feeling the show will go down in ratings without Paula.
I feel like she was much more valuable as a judge than Ryan S. was as a host. HUGE WASTE crystal ball
mimi4all
mimi4all

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:30 pm

Maybe this will be the proverbial straw and they will see what they lost and start the negotiations back up. Paula was an asset to that show. It worked. Darn if the men all made a bundle..why not the woman. Makes me mad. they would never treat a man like that. I think this afternoon I shall burn a bra..in protest. Laughing
jeanne1807
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:51 pm

jeanne1807 wrote:Maybe this will be the proverbial straw and they will see what they lost and start the negotiations back up. Paula was an asset to that show. It worked. Darn if the men all made a bundle..why not the woman. Makes me mad. they would never treat a man like that. I think this afternoon I shall burn a bra..in protest. Laughing

Jeanne, be sure to post a picture of your burned bra!!!!!! roflao

I believe in the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" It wasn't broke... but it certainly may be now.
Snaz
Snaz

Back to top Go down

Post by mimi4all Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:50 pm

Jeanne said: Makes me mad. they would never treat a man like that. I think this afternoon I shall burn a bra..in protest.

roflao Now you sound like my kind of woman!
(Actually, I burned mine back in the 60s when it was the thing to do) lol! but I have a stand-by one I can burn with you! Paula Abdul quits ‘American Idol’ 759197
mimi4all
mimi4all

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:29 pm

Abdul rejected 30 percent raise, will be replaced
Posh Spice, Katy Perry will appear as guest judges on ‘Idol’

updated 2:42 p.m. ET, Thurs., Aug 6, 2009

NEW YORK - Fox nearly slammed the door on Paula Abdul’s return to “American Idol” — but not quite.

“We made an offer we feel is very fair to Paula” that included a substantial raise, Fox Entertainment Chairman Peter Rice told the Television Critics Association on Wednesday.

But Abdul decided against returning for the hit singing contest’s ninth season, he said.

Female pop stars will serve as guest judges for the seven-week audition process set to begin Friday in Denver, with Victoria Beckham and Katy Perry the first to be announced by Fox.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32316620/ns/entertainment-reality_tv/

OMG..... I HATE this idea of guest judges!!!!!!!
Snaz
Snaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Snaz Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:32 pm

I do have to say this, though........ it's a sad day in America when someone turns down an eight-figure salary!!!!!!!! affraid
Snaz
Snaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:58 pm

Snaz wrote:I do have to say this, though........ it's a sad day in America when someone turns down an eight-figure salary!!!!!!!! affraid

I'll do it for six-figures. Very Happy
Justice4all
Justice4all
Admin

Mood : Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:50 pm

Paula was making 4 million and they offered her 5 million.

Ryan makes 45 million heaven only knows how much Simon is making. Randy and Kara both got raises.

Bra Burning will be at 8 tomorrow night. Come one come all.

To tell you the truth its all more than anybody in their right mind should receive. Funny none of the Big Money Makers offered to help bail out CA their home state.

Arnie and Maria must be beside themselves. Sad
jeanne1807
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:11 pm

Snaz wrote:I do have to say this, though........ it's a sad day in America when someone turns down an eight-figure salary!!!!!!!! affraid

yeah, turned down because it wasn't ENOUGH.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:21 pm

jeanne1807 wrote:Paula was making 4 million and they offered her 5 million.

Ryan makes 45 million heaven only knows how much Simon is making. Randy and Kara both got raises.

Bra Burning will be at 8 tomorrow night. Come one come all.

To tell you the truth its all more than anybody in their right mind should receive. Funny none of the Big Money Makers offered to help bail out CA their home state.

Arnie and Maria must be beside themselves. Sad

Jeanne......

Leave the door open....... am on my way with my bra ! I doubt I will even watch AI this season. Can't see the point without Paulas knowledge, compassion and wit. IMO yes they all make WAy too much $$$ but it took Paula being a professional in her field to be there........ and what does it take to "talk" ( Ryan ). I see it as a slap in the face to her .

Back to top Go down

Paula Abdul quits ‘American Idol’ Empty Posh Spice, Katy Perry to fill in on "Idol"

Post by FystyAngel Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:40 am

Posh Spice, Katy Perry to fill in on "Idol"
By Jill Serjeant
Thu Aug 6, 10:22 PM PDT

Pop singers Katy Perry, former Spice Girl Victoria Beckham, and other female artists will be guest judges on "American Idol" this upcoming season to help replace departing Paula Abdul, Fox television executives said on Thursday.

But Fox and the producers of the most-watched American television show said they are searching for a permanent, fourth judge to sit in Abdul's seat when the ninth season of the show returns to TV in early 2010.

Fox appeared to close the door on any further talks with Abdul, who abruptly announced in a Tweet this week that she was quitting after seven years when she failed to secure a new contract with a big enough pay raise.

"We very much wanted her to return," said Peter Rice, chairman of entertainment at Fox, "We made an offer that we feel was very fair. It was a substantial raise. It was not our choice."

Asked whether there was still a chance that the popular but volatile Abdul might still find a way back to the show, Rice told reporters gathered at an event showcasing new programs: "Our understanding is that we have concluded the negotiations and Paula has announced she is not coming back."

However former Idol executive producer Nigel Lythgoe said he held out some hope for a comeback.

"I still don't know that she is going to leave 'Idol'. Until 'Idol' goes on the air there are always opportunities for renegotiations," Lythgoe told reporters separately. He said he may meet Abdul this weekend to talk about opportunities with his own TV contest show on Fox "So You Think You Can Dance."

"I've been trying to get her since season one (of "So You Think You Can Dance)", Lythgoe said.

PERRY, POSH TO JUDGE AUDITIONS

Auditions for the ninth season of "American Idol" begin on Aug 9 and Rice said that producers were talking to several female pop stars and performers to fill guest judge spots.

He said Perry, who enjoyed a massive global hit with "I Kissed a Girl", and Beckham, also known as Posh Spice, had already agreed to take part in the audition rounds. None of the guests are expected to take on the judging role permanently.

"Between now and January (when the show airs) we will come up with a permanent solution on what we will do ... Obviously there is going to be a different dynamic (and) there is something exciting about that," Rice said.

"Idol" producers renewed the contract this week of songwriter Kara DioGuardi, who was added to the judging panel this season. Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson are still under contract and host Ryan Seacrest also will be returning.

Rice, however, denied reports that Seacrest had won a new deal that would pay him some $15 million a year just to stay on "American Idol". He said that contract was with the show's joint producers CKX for opportunities beyond the TV singing competition.

Fox said the success of "American Idol" was ultimately about the contestants who go on to be bonafide pop stars rather than the judges, but they acknowledged that finding the right person to replace Abdul was important.

"What we need to find is someone who has great chemistry. It really is a casting job. Our job in next four or five months is to consider what makes this the most fun, the most entertaining show," Rice said.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/article/tv-news.en.reuters.com/tv-news.en.reuters.com-20090807-us_idol
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Mood : Neener

http://www.realitychatter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:00 am

Idol won't be Idol without Paula........ IMO not fair

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:25 am

Ryan is on that Entertainment Tonight with Guiliana and he used to be host of the Soup. Somebody saw him, scooped him up and the rest is history. I wonder if these folks tuck away their earnings for the rainy day. Or do they live in the moment.
I remember Ed McMahan and his money troubles. How do they get so messed up?
jeanne1807
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:33 am

S-T-U-P-I-D-I-T-Y !!!!!! LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:29 am

Simpson's rep: 'no truth' to 'Idol' report

The New York Post reported Jessica Simpson's manager-father, Joe, is lobbying the show's producers to hire her as Abdul's replacement.
LOS ANGELES, Aug. 17 (UPI) -- Jessica Simpson's publicist denied a newspaper report the singer-actress is campaigning to take over for Paula Abdul as an "American Idol" judge.

Abdul recently announced she would not be returning to the popular singing competition series next season.

The New York Post reported Simpson's manager-father, Joe, is lobbying the show's producers to hire her as Abdul's replacement.

However, Simpson's representative told Usmagazine.com, "There is absolutely no truth to this."

Paula Abdul quits ‘American Idol’ Jessic10
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:31 am

Shania Twain to guest judge on 'American Idol'?

Paula Abdul quits ‘American Idol’ 522-tw10

It takes a lot of women to fill Paula Abdul's designer shoes.

(We knew it would.)

People magazine hears that Shania Twain might sit at the judges' table at an upcoming "American Idol" audition.

If she does, she'll join the likes of Victoria Beckham, who filled in for Abdul at auditions in Boston, and Mary J. Blige, who did the same in Atlanta.

Twain is rumored to be on board for the Chicago Auditions on Aug. 30 and 31.

They can try. But no one is Paula.

Sigh.

http://www.kansascity.com/stargazing/story/1388519.html
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:32 am

American Idol: Mary J. Blige, Shania Twain to Guest Judge

ATLANTA, GA - With the recent announcement of Paula Abdul leaving American Idol, several guest judges have been hired to fill her seat until a permanent replacement is found. R&B Singer Mary J. Blige judged the Atlanta auditions for the show this week and many contestants who auditioned were surprised to see her.

Blige said she can be a tough judge of talent.

"I think Im a pretty truthful critic," Blige said. "I don't like hurting peoples feelings for no apparent reason. But if it's wrong, it's wrong. You know, if it's wrong I would have to say it in a way that doesn't kill them, but makes them understand.."

People.com reports Country singer Shania Twain may fill the spot of fourth judge during the Chicago auditions at the end of the August. Chicago auditions are scheduled for August 30 and 31.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-american-idol-mary-j-blige-shania-guest-judge,0,1539979.story?track=rss
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FystyAngel Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:34 am

Scoop: Abdul negotiating a return to ‘Idol’

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/entertainment/television/Scoop__Abdul_negotiating_a_return_to__Idol_-53511637.html

Paula Abdul quits ‘American Idol’ Paulaa10

Now that the “Dancing With the Stars” cast has been announced, and Paula Abdul’s name is not on the list, negotiations between Abdul and Fox for her return to “American Idol” have become more intense.

“The people at the very top of ABC were really vocal about getting her on board for ‘Dancing,’” said a source familiar with the talks with Abdul. “By not exactly keeping it secret, it made Paula’s value more apparent to Fox.”

The negotiations are ongoing, but calling them “talks” could be more appropriate, since dubbing them “negotiations” suggests that one side is budging.

“Paula isn’t lowering her price in any meaningful way. She wants a Seacrest-level deal,” said the source. “Idol” host Ryan Seacrest reportedly signed a three-year deal with the show worth a total of $45 million.

If there is a scenario that gets Abdul back on the show, it's likely that her return would be limited to the live shows only, according to several people who are close to the talks. This will allow the original offer made by the show to stand, but Abdul would have a shorter time commitment.

As far as ABC is concerned, executives are disappointed they couldn’t sign Abdul to “Dancing With the Stars.”

“They actually really needed her as that big name,” said person who had direct knowledge of the talks. “They didn’t really want Tom DeLay as their most-buzzed-about contestant.”
FystyAngel
FystyAngel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:51 am

I heard that Paula would return to Idol for 10 million this year. Hummm. Was this all a big game to simply get more money and for the producers to see what American thought of Paula. I hope they do the same for Randy and Simon.
Women always have it soooooo hard compared to men.
jeanne1807
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:13 am

IMO Paula with her knowledge, experience, etc. in the music industry should be making more than Ryan. I also believe her wit, charm and seemingly genuine tenderness for all the contestants is such an asset to the show. Without her being on, I'm not even sure I would even watch Idol. Looks like it would sure be boring w/o Paula, to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:54 am

I loved it when Kara and Paula each performed last year. They were both great.

Did Randy and Simon...do anything?
jeanne1807
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:29 pm

I liked that too Jeanne ! I know simon didn't do anything.....but can't remember if it was last season or 2 back that randy did something.

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyNile Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:55 pm

I know that Paula performed last season but I didnt know Kara did. What did she do?

Also, I thought that AI didnt renew her contract. I had no idea she quit.

IndyNile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:58 pm

I will dearly miss Paula....I wish her the best in all her future endeavors...

Here's Ellen................... She will be filling Paula's role. ( I love Ellen too, and cant see that she wont bring something great to the table..)

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1621257/20090911/story.jhtml

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down