Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

George Zimmerman -- Trial for the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin --June 10, 2013

+20
ClaireUncensored
ishi
FystyAngel
Julie
jerseyjul1
Weeziethm
auman58
Intel
colsnipe
OptioMac
justanopinion
Moosiesmama
Summertime
Ann - Tx
allears
Pianist
Mari 68
carlakay
sitemama
Alessandra_Deux
24 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

George Zimmerman -- Trial for the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin --June 10, 2013 - Page 19 Empty Re: George Zimmerman -- Trial for the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin --June 10, 2013

Post by Freckles Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:09 pm

carlakay wrote:thanks Freckles..

I am neither conservative or liberal..call myself a fence sitter whos always ready to point out the grey areas in every situation..had a conservative friend I have known all my life turn his back on me because of that..his parting words..I can no longer be friends with someone who continues to refuse to see that every issue is either black or white..wrong or right..you see too many damn colors and I just can't deal with that.
I miss him but frankly I have never received a better compliment.

I got off the fence when I got crotch burn...
I am a Constitutionalist...Less laws the better.

The case has split my family but it is workable.
One relative firmly believes Trayvon should NOT have been there
and probably mouthed off so he deserved his death...
Most of my friends would rather get their nails done than pay attention to what is going down.
Others, well, nothing in writing but only softly whispered sounds of dismay.

Freckles
Freckles

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

George Zimmerman -- Trial for the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin --June 10, 2013 - Page 19 Empty Re: George Zimmerman -- Trial for the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin --June 10, 2013

Post by Freckles Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:10 pm

15 minute break. Yah!
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:19 pm

3:16

Comment From juny
The kid had no injuries....just find it had to believe ge was that good at fighting that he could beat someone to death and not get any injuries at the age of 17 and the man was 3 inches shorter but 50lbs heaver and the MAN he was fighting had been training in MMA for 2 years...MMA fighters fight to the death and longer than 20seconds before someone of equal talent renders the other defenseless, Zimm was not defenseless, he had the ACE in his pocket

3:15

Comment From JC
The defense only questions what was possible not what likely happen. Zimmerman did not receive great bodily harm
3:15

Comment From Jamesty
Dr.Rao I believe is doing a wonderful job. O'mara is trying to derail her from giving the jury an honest analysis. Its one thing to question her, but he's questiong her creditbilty/intelligence. She was given the title CHIEF of examiner (professional doctor) for a darn good reason and he is an ATTORNEY! Big distinction there dont you think?

http://www.wftv.com/s/zimmerman-livestream/
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:27 pm

3:25

Comment From AMO
Does GZ think he is a soldier of God? And, that he thinks TM was the person who robbed GZ's neighbor several weeks earlier? Does he think God placed TM in front of him that night and God caused him to chase TM?

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Mari 68 Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:28 pm

Freckles wrote:3:25

Comment From AMO
Does GZ think he is a soldier of God? And, that he thinks TM was the person who robbed GZ's neighbor several weeks earlier? Does he think God placed TM in front of him that night and God caused him to chase TM?

Duh it was God's plan, don't ya know

Mari 68
Mari 68

Mood : Scared 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:30 pm

George Zimmerman Trial Day 17: Live Updates

George Zimmerman -- Trial for the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin --June 10, 2013 - Page 19 1372792311406
Jacksonville medical examiner Dr. Valerie Rao testifies during George Zimmerman's second-degree murder trial, Tuesday, July 2, 2013.

3:10 p.m.

Court is in recess for 15 minutes.

Witness: Dr. Valerie Rao - Medical examiner

3:07 p.m.

Guy asks her about her appointment and if she slanted her testimony because she was appointed by the governor.

She says, “Absolutely not.”

Guy asks if the defendant ever described his head being hit on the edge of concrete.

She says no.

Dr. Rao is excused.

Richard Mantei asks to approach Judge Nelson.

3:06 p.m.

“It’s so impossible to get a bruise and swelling and say that was separate,” Dr. Rao says.

O’Mara asks her about swelling below the lacerations.

“The head would have to be really contorted to give you all those injuries from different impacts,” Dr. Rao says in response to O’Mara asking about the head and different injuries.

O’Mara suggests the injuries could have come from the edge of the concrete.

“It’s possible,” she says.

O’Mara asks about Guy’s focus on life-threatening injuries and if the state attorney’s office prepped her about it as an element of the case.

She says no.

O’Mara asks her if she understands the extent of injuries on Zimmerman have nothing to do with the case.

Guy objects. O’Mara is asked to rephrase.

O’Mara asks if she was prepared to testify there were life-threatening injuries. She says no.

O’Mara asks about the “next injury,” calling it the one he didn’t have to survive.

O’Mara finishes questioning.

Guy re-directs.

2:58 p.m.

O’Mara asks her which bruise she is connecting with the swelling. She points to one and says use of the photo is extremely unscientific.

“I find it difficult when half the photograph is cut,” Dr. Rao says.

O’Mara asks if she has a better photo, but she says she has the same ones.

He asks her to compare her copies with one of his.

She doesn’t seem to find it.

O’Mara asks her for a maximum number of hits.

She says three, but O’Mara points out that was the minimum.

O’Mara asks her for a maximum and then point out the different bruises possibly caused by a strike.

She says she doesn’t know, but says O’Mara can give her a scenario and she can say consistent or not.

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2013/7/2/zimmerman_opening_statements.html
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Mari 68 Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Freckles wrote:
carlakay wrote:thanks Freckles..

I am neither conservative or liberal..call myself a fence sitter whos always ready to point out the grey areas in every situation..had a conservative friend I have known all my life turn his back on me because of that..his parting words..I can no longer be friends with someone who continues to refuse to see that every issue is either black or white..wrong or right..you see too many damn colors and I just can't deal with that.
I miss him but frankly I have never received a better compliment.

I got off the fence when I got crotch burn...
I am a Constitutionalist...Less laws the better.

The case has split my family but it is workable.
One relative firmly believes Trayvon should NOT have been there
and probably mouthed off so he deserved his death...
Most of my friends would rather get their nails done than pay attention to what is going down.
Others, well, nothing in writing but only softly whispered sounds of dismay.

LMAO Freckles!

My daughter just informed me that my son-in-law says Trayvon WAS a thug and the GZ is totally innocent. Whatev. My son-in-law also told me he voted for Obama cuz it was good for his business. He's a gunsmith and his business has grown to 600k/month gross sales since November LOL

I still love him - but I won't be making his favorite banana bread this Christmas Laughing 
Mari 68
Mari 68

Back to top Go down

Post by carlakay Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:40 pm

OMG I dont wanna get crotch burn!!!! lmao!Laughing HILARIOUS! 
carlakay
carlakay

Mood : Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Dr, Rao just debunked the "urban myth" alleging that Trayvon smashed Zimmerman's head against the concrete 20 to 30 times".
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:50 pm

MOM is wanting to put up objections to records, witnesses...

State states there are 4 records and witnesses:
Courses he took and outside activities including stand your ground laws;Sanford ride along application; college courses...One shows he has education and ability to discuss with PD what it is they are trying to do and what he could be saying... In contrast, he told Sean Hannity he had never heard of Stand Your Ground before this happened; his prior incidents with law...

MOM says this has relevance; just because he had an interest in criminal justice does not mean he knew what to say and the evidence supports it; MOM states this is a witch-hunt; MOM says somehow it is bad GZ wanted to go to college or ride along with PD;
MOM says State's theory is not supported GZ had anger, animosity;

Judge: The state is wanting to show GZ had knowledge of interview, investigative technics; not a witch hunt.

MOM: When does it end? If anyone has gone thru....

Judge: That is not what the State is attempting to introduce. It is not that everyone who has gone thru a 6th grade geography class...
State has been clear.

Judge: I have not seen any of the proposed exhibits. If someone can hand one to me I will review it.

State: (Turns in a course with grade info)
Judge says the above is not relevant

State turns more work to judge...
Judge: States Criminal litigation, Spring 2010, Criminal Investigation course... These are acceptable while others are not...

State: Course book with self defense and Prof Carter as witness...
Judge: Two parts to exhibit... Course work and final project for EX 210...

MOM: The state left in certain portions of the Hannity interview solely for the purpose of impeachment. They can't create it for the purpose of impeachment.

Judge: Isn't that the same as declaring the witness as hostile?

MOM: The State is trying to open the door so as to get in additional information...

Judge disagrees with MOM. Will give MOM time to look at case law for his argument. MOM does not think it is appropriate for the State...
Judge: The State IS allowed to present their case based upon their theories of the case...

Judge: Your cross examination gave an indication your client had no knowledge of the criminal justice system ... The State is entitled to bring this forth! You may be given half an hour to get together case law for me to consider...

MOM: There is no foundation. How can it be brought forth.

State: We have moved away from your objection as so often happens. The relevance is the def DID have knowledge of this information. It is relevant. To say it is good things and then to say it is too prejudicial...

Judge: We will be in recess for 30 minutes and see what case law is applicable.

State: The application for being a PD officer and the ride along application...

Judge will consider introducing these 4 docs.
MOM
is to provide case law to keep it out.
State wants to show GZ had knowledge of self-defense, to impeach his "Stand You Ground" etc... GZ was a wannbe cop and shaped his testimony to LE based upon that to create a self-defense theory...

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Mari 68 wrote:
Freckles wrote:3:25

Comment From AMO

Duh   it was God's plan, don't ya know

Uhmmm. Gosh. Not what God whispered in MY ear.
Then again, I wasn't eating the Twinkies...
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:55 pm

3:44 p.m.

O’Mara says he doesn’t think it’s appropriate to have the jury focused on Zimmerman’s school records.

Judge Nelson says that is their case and they should be allowed to present it.

O’Mara says there is no direct evidence to connect the classes with the event.

Judge Nelson says that will be before the jury and if the theory of the state’s case is that Zimmerman had the information or at least understood the process; she thinks they’re entitled to bring it forward.

O’Mara says if the state can’t connect the dots, they can’t allow the jury to just guess.

Mantei says the original objection is different than the current one.

He says the relevance is that if taken together it shows the Zimmerman had the knowledge.

Mantei says it’s odd to argue that they are good things, but then say they are prejudicial.

Judge Nelson says she will give them a 30 minute recess to find case law.

Mantei asks the date of the police application and date of the ride-along.

Court is in recess.

3:40 p.m.

One class was called Criminal Litigation. A diploma certificate application is included. Mantei says it shows his proposed graduation date.

Another class was called Criminal Investigation. Mantei says that is Professor Pleasant’s class and he has an update about his situation also.

She says not all of the records would be relevant because they show other courses. She says they need to be redacted.

Mantei submits a course book. He says Professor Carter will testify with the exhibits.

O’Mara says the state shouldn’t be able to present evidence for solely the purposes of impeachment.

Wouldn’t that be the same as declaring a witness as a hostile witness, Judge Nelson asks.

He says the state should not be able to create their own impeachable evidence.

3:33 p.m.

Record number on is his school transcript. Record number two is Zimmerman’s work in a criminal law and procedure class. Record number three is an application to be a police officer in Prince William County in Virginia. The fourth is an application for a ride-along with the Sanford Police Department.

Mantei argues it shows frame of mind and his interest in law enforcement and is relevant to show he had the background to be able to discuss with police and understand what they do.

Mantei says Zimmerman’s knowledge of the law is relevant, mentioning his statement to Sean Hannity that he never heard of the Stand Your Ground law, but it contradicts his school studies.

O’Mara says they are trying to use a transcript that Zimmerman seeking a legal studies degree is irrelevant. He mentions the pains to not use Martin’s school records because they are protected.

O’Mara says they should show the record is relevant to an issue in the case, calling it a “fishing expedition.”

Judge Nelson says she doesn’t understand his use of the term “fishing expedition.”

O’Mara says their theory hasn’t been proven by hard facts evidence.

Judge Nelson says Zimmerman said in the interview played with the Hannity Show, he mentioned not knowing the Stand Your Ground Law. The records are to show he had knowledge with course review.

O’Mara says he calls it a “fishing expedition,” because he asks where it ends, suggesting a 6th grade civics course could be used.

Judge Nelson says they are being specific and she hasn’t seen the proposed exhibits.

Mantei hands them to her.

3:24 p.m.

Judge Nelson hears arguments on the submission of Zimmerman's school work.

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2013/7/2/zimmerman_opening_statements.html
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by carlakay Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:55 pm

My family is divided too..husband thinks TM should of ran on home and not confronted GZ. (states it as if THAT is a fact) my daughter,who just got to vote for the first time last year and proudly calls herself a liberal thinks GZ should be put to death. When I informed her that he aint facing the death penalty and most liberals don't believe in it she slapped her forehead and said OMG see how messed up you made me!
carlakay
carlakay

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Oh, Mari. I could never live in CA again. Not with the restrictive laws.
Not with the laws re gun ownership. And certainly not with your NEW gas taxes! The one that went into play today....

Dad told me the gas tax was passed during the 1940s to fund the proposed federal highways and was only to be in place for a few years... He said it was 1/2 cent per gal back then. It has gotten WAY out of control, IMO.

I miss the old days... Please take the govts out of my back yard!
I can't feed and shelter them while caring for myself and my family.
Unwanted quests are like dead fish---- send them packing after 3 days.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:01 pm

Talking heads:
Trayvon wanted to be an astronaut but that was not allowed into court.

Trayvon's school records will not be brought in because the purpose is not to impeach Trayvon. GZ's records would be allowed to show impeachment--- knowledge of SYG, Investigative procedures, etc..

Judge stated the State has the right to support their theories.

Bill Shaffer here:
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by carlakay Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:02 pm

something that is bothering me..witness first on scene said GZ seemed calm IIRC..well if he was on the bottom;screaming for help in between being suffacated;punched and having his head slammed into concrete while also struggling for a gun then how is it this "obese" man was not at least breathing heavy immedietly after the shooting?
carlakay
carlakay

Back to top Go down

Post by carlakay Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Freckles wrote:Talking heads:
Trayvon wanted to be an astronaut but that was not allowed into court.

Trayvon's school records will not be brought in because the purpose is not to impeach Trayvon. GZ's records would be allowed to show impeachment--- knowledge of SYG, Investigative procedures, etc..

Judge stated the State has the right to support their theories.

Bill Shaffer here:

LOVE this judge..Cool 
carlakay
carlakay

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:07 pm

3:12

Comment From Guest
I have a simple question.....what do you think GZ's objective was in following TM? To try to stop him from doing something? To try to "catch" him doing something? What did he expect would happen in a confrontation?

Re Dr. RAO:
3:06

Comment From Becky
Omara's questions can corner her to say yes or no. She is professional and will not let words be put in her mouth. It is insulting to question a professional she has no agenda. I guess I am giving her the benefit of the doubt trusting that she will speak the truth no matter whose side she is on. Hello there is such thing as perjury!

4:06

Bill Sheaffer:
Goldie; GZ will NOT take the stand. He has already testified, based on the statements admitted by the State

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:13 pm

carlakay wrote:something that is bothering me..witness first on scene said GZ seemed calm IIRC..well if he was on the bottom;screaming for help in between being suffacated;punched and having his head slammed into concrete while also struggling for a gun then how is it this "obese" man was not at least breathing heavy immedietly after the shooting?
Yes. If I was fighting for my life, as GZ claims he was, I would have been wound so tight I would have talked for days! I would have been giving interviews to the paper praising the PD for rescuing me, etc.. It reeks, IMO, of being planned... IMO, GZ had an agenda to PROVE his manliness, his worth, to parents (he was not talking with at that time), to the PD *who had turned him down for employment), to his wife... to the so-called "friends" who taught him to fire a gun, who complained of having lawns trespassed upon....

This is why I do NOT believe Trayvon was "profiled" in the traditional sense of the word but happened to walk into a situation where someone was out to prove something to others...
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:27 pm

Zimmerman's injuries 'insignificant,' medical examiner testifies

By Barbara Liston
SANFORD, Florida | Tue Jul 2, 2013 4:14pm EDT

(Reuters) - Volunteer watchman George Zimmerman suffered "insignificant" injuries from the fight in which he said he shot and killed unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin out of fear for his life, a Florida medical examiner testified at his murder trial on Tuesday.

Medical Examiner Valerie Rao said she reviewed Zimmerman's medical records and the pictures of his injuries taken at the police station after the fight on February 26, 2012 shooting in a gated community in Sanford, Florida.

"They were not life-threatening. They were very insignificant," Rao told the Seminole County Criminal Court jury.

~Snipped~

Zimmerman, 29, has claimed that Martin punched him in the face and repeatedly slammed his head into a concrete sidewalk.

Rao said Zimmerman's injuries were consistent with one blow to the face and one impact with the concrete.

Read more:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/02/us-usa-florida-shooting-idUSBRE9610TY20130702
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:31 pm

Witness: Kristen Benson - Print analyst

4:22 p.m.

Kristen Benson is called to the stand. She is a latent prints analyst.

4:19 p.m.

Judge Nelson says the exhibits have been known to each side and it was the first she’s heard of.

She asks for the next witness, but checks to see if there is anything else to take up.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Mari 68 Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:50 pm

Freckles wrote:Oh, Mari. I could never live in CA again. Not with the restrictive laws.
Not with the laws re gun ownership. And certainly not with your NEW gas taxes!  The one that went into play today....

Dad told me the gas tax was passed during the 1940s to fund the proposed federal highways and was only to be in place for a few years... He said it was 1/2 cent per gal back then.  It has gotten WAY out of control, IMO.

I miss the old days... Please take the govts out of my back yard!
I can't feed and shelter them while caring for myself and my family.
Unwanted quests are like dead fish---- send them packing after 3 days.

Taxes here are a damn joke. I lose nearly 40% of my earnings to taxes.

I can't live anywhere else, though. My everything is here. Sigh
Mari 68
Mari 68

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:24 pm

Zimmerman's injuries 'insignificant,' medical examiner testifies

By Barbara Liston

SANFORD, Florida | Tue Jul 2, 2013 5:02 pm EDT

(Reuters) - Volunteer watchman George Zimmerman suffered "insignificant" injuries in the fight in which he shot and killed unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin, a medical examiner testified on Tuesday, as prosecutors attempted to undermine Zimmerman's claim he feared for his life.

~Snipped~

Testifying for the prosecution at Zimmerman's trial, Medical Examiner Valerie Rao said she reviewed Zimmerman's medical records and 36 pictures of his injuries taken at the police station after the fight.

"They were not life-threatening. They were very insignificant," Rao told the Seminole County criminal court jury.

Read more:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/02/us-usa-florida-shooting-idUSBRE9610TY20130702
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:42 pm

George Zimmerman Trial - Day 7 - Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erVzhz-OsYc

George Zimmerman Trial - Day 7 - Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISVMogzRw6A

George Zimmerman Trial - Day 7 - Part 3 (Medical Examiner)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpnDdDw-3Y

George Zimmerman Trial - Day 7 - Part 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uef0hmBSfuE
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:05 pm

George Zimmerman Trial - Day 7 - School Records Proffer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ijakvFDso
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:41 pm

Prosecutors hammer at inconsistencies in George Zimmerman’s story

BY EVAN S. BENN
Posted on Tuesday, 07.02.13

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/02/3481362/lead-detectives-cross-examination.html#storylink=cpy
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:54 am

George Zimmerman trial Day 8

GEORGE ZIMMERMAN TRIAL LIVE:

http://www.wptv.com/generic/news/national/George-Zimmerman-trial-complete-coverage

http://www.foxnews.com/live-coverage/zimmerman-trial

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/trayvon-martin/os-george-zimmerman-trial-live-video-chat-20130612,0,7210676.htmlpage

http://www.wesh.com/news/central-florida/trayvon-martin-extended-coverage/watch-george-zimmerman-trial-live

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/category/259883/george-zimmerman

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/watchchat-live-george-zimmerman-trial-day-1/-/1637132/20665882/-/jrlv3cz/-/index.html?showAds=0
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:05 am

George Zimmerman Trial Day 18: Live Updates

Witness: Capt. Alexis Francisco Carter

9:56 a.m.

Mantei shows him a homework assignment Carter says was one given to all the students.

Carter says he remembers Zimmerman as one of the better students in the class.

He says he wanted to teach the students a more practical way so they could apply it to their own life.

Carter says they covered the Stand Your Ground law.

Mantei asks how long they spent covering self-defense.

Carter says it is one that he constantly iterated and something the students wanted to know about and were engaged in class discussion.

Mantei finishes questioning.

West cross examines.

9:53 a.m.

Capt. Alexis Francisco Carter, a member of the U.S. Army, who taught criminal litigation.

Witness: Lt. Scott Kerns

9:49 a.m.

West asks about his role in the police department.

Kerns says he was the administrator for six years and was in that position at the time Zimmerman applied.

Kerns says he can’t remember the application or the reference used.

A lot of people want to be police officers, Kerns agrees.

West asks about the exhibit and the letter not having letterhead or a signature.

Kerns says it is not the actual copy, it is the document used to create the original on letterhead.

West asks about the extract page and the information indicated on it.

West asks about the listing of “Spanish.” Kerns says it would indicate Zimmerman says he speaks Spanish. Kerns says it would be tested in the process.

West points out the credit history indicator.

Kerns says the credit history is the reason why he would not be accepted.

West asks if his credit was better, he could reapply. “It’s possible, sir,” Kerns says.

Kerns says he knows of people that have reapplied and been accepted.

West finishes questioning.

Kerns is excused.

9:42 a.m.

Kerns says they keep records for three years in accordance with the state’s records act. He says Zimmerman’s application was destroyed.

Mantei shows him a document.

Kerns says after the records are destroyed they create a cursory amount of information from the record and they send a letter to the individual about their status.

The letter was dated July 2009.

Kerns says there is nothing sinister or unusual with not getting the job.

Don West cross examines.

9:39 a.m.

The state calls Lt. Scott Kerns, with the Prince William County Police Department.

Witness: Sonja Bolez-Melvin

9:38 a.m.

Mantei shows her the degree application. She says it looks like he applied for his degree in October 2011. The document shows he thought he would graduate Spring 2012.

Mantei finishes questioning. There is no cross examination.

The state calls their next witness.

9:35 a.m.

Bolez-Melvin is the registrar for Seminole State College, responsible for the school’s records.

Read more:

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2013/7/3/zimmerman_opening_statements.html
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:10 am

Army prosecutor says Zimmerman earned an 'A' in his law enforcement class

Published July 03, 2013 /
FoxNews.com

Prosecutors won the right to introduce a bevy of evidence related to George Zimmerman's interest in law enforcement, and wasted no time as the neighborhood watch volunteer's trial for the murder of Florida teen Trayvon Martin resumed Wednesday.

After a morning hearing in which the judge ruled information about Zimmerman's studies and unsuccessful application for a police job in Virginia was admissible, prosecutors called a military prosecutor who taught a criminal procedure class at Seminole State College in which Zimmerman earned an A.

"He was probably one of the better students in the class," said Alexis Francisco Carter, an officer in the U.S. military JAG corps.

Read more:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/03/zimmerman-school-records-at-issue-in-wednesday-hearing/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:12 am

Stand Your Ground college Professor Carter

--Remembers GZ as one of his best students
--Teachers SYG as a basis for the course
--Worked for a public def office in Nov 2009; went on to JAG in military
--Liked teaching and hoped to one day be a full time teacher
--Taught one year
--Believed the knowledge from SYG should be incorporated into daily life using common sense

West is now crossing;
Witness is currently a prosecutor in JAG Coprs; he had dealt with federal law;

Book used was not strictly Florida law; general info for criminal litigation and procedure; he tried to supplement with other sources involving Florida law; witness passed Florida bar to practice; Law of Self Defense written in ch. 6;West is discussing Castle Doctrine (force meeting force) while Stand Your Ground (allows for self defense without duty to retreat outside the home)....

Side-bar
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:15 am

Aless-
How did you get all those notes when the testimony , at least that I am listening to, has yet to be heard?
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:22 am

Freckles wrote:Aless-
How did you get all those notes when the testimony , at least that I am listening to, has  yet to be heard?

I got them from CFNews 13 Orlando, their live updates are very timely. Sometimes you have to refresh the page to get the new live updates.

Here is the link:

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2013/7/3/zimmerman_opening_statements.html

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:27 am

Zimmerman's interest in police work fair game at trial

Yamiche Alcindor, USA TODAY | 10:09 a.m. EDT July 3, 2013

SANFORD, Fla. -- The jury at George Zimmerman's murder trial can be told about his rejection letter from a Virginia police department, his coursework for a class that discussed self-defense and stand-your-ground laws, and his application to do a police ride-along, Judge Debra Nelson ruled Wednesday.

"The testimony is substantive," Nelson said, overruling an objection by Zimmerman's lawyer

~Snipped~

Assistant State Attorney Richard Mantei said the records show Zimmerman had a continuous interest in becoming a police officer, understood police techniques, and understood criminal investigations.

Read more:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/03/george-zimmerman-trayvon-martin-trial/2485825/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:28 am

Oh, hell! Typed some beautiful notes and lost them!

Witness Carter is discussing IMPERFECT SELF DEFENSE.
The use of TOO much or wrongly applied force.

Carter explained the difference of Castle Doctrine (protecting yourself in your own home) and
Stand Your Ground (not having to retreat from implied threat)
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:33 am

State Atty Manti (sp) asked witness Carter re claiming SYG/self defense IF the person provoked it;

West objects. At bench.

State: asks re imperfect self defense when it turns aggressive

Carter: When it turns to deadly force, like a gunshot.

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:37 am

State Witness: Sanford PD Records..Jim Krzenski

State: Holds up a doc/record
Wit: Ride-a-long filed out 2010... to "solidify my career in law enforcement"

Def MOM:
Wit: Only one time did GZ for a ride-along. Found nothing in records other than the one doc.

He is excused.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:38 am

SKYPE witness to appear at 11 AM.
On break until that time.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:43 am

Witness: Capt. Alexis Francisco Carter - College professor

10:30 a.m.

West finishes questioning. Mantei redirects.

He asks about the claim of self-defense and if provoking the action was in their class discussion.

West objects and asks to be heard at the bench for a sidebar.

10:29 a.m.

Mantei objects to the questioning.

Judge Nelson reminds the witness that his discussion is limited to what he taught in the course.

West asks how Carter would explain the Florida self-defense concept.

Carter says it is fluid and changing of a certain fact can weigh differently whether someone acted reasonably.

He says he showed YouTube videos and stopped them frame-by-frame going over whether the person was acting reasonably.

West asks about the issue of injuries and the fear of the injury.

Carter says it is imminent fear and the fact alone that there isn’t one doesn’t mean the person didn’t have fear. He says injuries show or support a reasonable fear.

Carter says they also talked about imperfect self-defense, describing it as a person being attacked and taking it a step forward and becoming the aggressor.

West asks about the concept and if he approached Carter.

Carter says he would be taking it a step forward if he used a video camera to hit him back.

West asks about a similar situation if he was screaming for help.

Mantei objects.

West asks a similar question

Mantei objects again. Judge Nelson asks him to rephrase the question.

West asks about the tables being turned and the person being attacked using more force back.

Carter explains it back, saying yes, that would be an example of imperfect self-defense.

Mantei objects. Judge Nelson overrules.

10:20 a.m.

West resumes questioning about the Stand Your Ground law.

Carter says the class work was not contained in the book.

West asks about the Castle Doctrine and its meaning of meeting force with force. “Correct,” Carter says.

West asks about the later change in law allowing the concept to be allowed outside the home.

Carter says there was a presumption of fear for life inside the home and it extended outside the home, but there wasn’t the same presumption.

He adds that if you’re in your home there’s a reasonable fear for death

Mantei objects.

Judge Nelson tells the jury they will be given instructions about the law. She tells West his question needs to be about what Carter taught in class.

Carter explains what he taught in class about the Stand Your Ground law saying the actions would be judged as to if they were those of a reasonable person.

Carter says the totality of the circumstances is important.

10:09 a.m.

Carter says the discussions focused on Florida would have been in the class.

West asks about statutes. He mentions the Florida statute of self-defense.

West asks if Carter is familiar with the self-defense law in Florida. Carter says yes.

Carter says Stand Your Ground is a nickname.

West asks about the Castle Doctrine becoming Florida’s Stand Your Ground law.

He asks about the Castle Doctrine and the duty to retreat. Carter confirms.

West asks about the Stand Your Ground law moving that concept to outside the home. Carter confirms.

West asks about it being outside and an accessing an attack before resorting to force.

Mantei objects and the attorneys approach for a sidebar.

10:04 a.m.

West points out Zimmerman at the defense table. “How you doing George?” Carter asks.

Carter says he only taught one class and was also working as a public defender in Orange County night circuit. He then left for JAG Corps training.

Carter says the public defender job was his first as a lawyer.

He says the “cool” thing about teaching is it reinforced everything he needed for his job.

“It’s been said there is law in the books and law in action,” Carter says.

Carter says all facts have significance, but certain things through case law have been given more weight.

West asks about his current work.

Carter says he is prosecuting. He says the JAG Corps is set up to put him in a certain position and they move you throughout your career.

West asks about the class. Carter says the book was suggested and used by the previous professor.

He says he thinks the book referenced some states, but doesn’t remember Florida.

Carter says he tried to supplement the book with other materials and discussion with a Florida distinction because he felt it was important.

Read more:

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:02 am

Skype problems. It is breaking up.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:20 am

Carter's testimony can work both ways, the fact of the matter is that Zimmerman had knowledge about the Stand Your Ground Law and also had knowledge about self defense, affirmative defense, and imperfect defense before he shot and killed Trayvon.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:30 am

Professor Scott Pleasants Testifies

(via video conference)

11:19 a.m.

O’Mara asks about the course being online. He says he had something students could voluntarily attend.

O’Mara asks if the book was needed to take tests.

Pleasants says he can’t guarantee that the book was discussed in class or that it was read through.

O’Mara asks if he can testify that Zimmerman read the book.

Pleasants says he cannot.

O’Mara asks about the strategies for a witness.

Pleasants says Zimmerman participated in all of the different discussion and it was documented by the system that allowed him to go back and look.

Pleasants says he has printouts of the discussions.

He gives him a moment to review them.

11:14 a.m.

O’Mara sets the phone by a microphone.

O’Mara begins cross examination.

11:12 a.m.

The state calls Professor Scott Pleasants.

Pleasants says Zimmerman was in his class, which covers aspects of investigations and the duties of the investigator.

Mantei submits the exhibit as evidence.

Mantei asks about the type of course.

He says the students are online and he facilitates it.

They have weekly discussions in the class based on different topics.

It appears that someone keeps calling his skype. More people are calling his account.

Judge Nelson asks that he be called on a landline.

11:07 a.m.

The state calls Professor Scott Pleasants. He is testifying via video conference. He teaches Criminal Investigation at Seminole State College.

Read more:

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:31 am

Witness: Amy Siewert - Firearms analyst

11:24 a.m.

Amy Siewert, a crime labratory analyst assigned to the firearms section with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, takes the stand.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:44 am

11:33 a.m.

Guy asks her about her training, education and work history. She has been an expert 17 times before.

She examined the firearm for this case. Guy shows it to her.

She tells the jury the type of gun. She defines the semi-automatic and 9 mm terms.

She says she did a general firearm exam. She test fired the gun and says it was found to be functional.

Guy removes the safety lock. A deputy clears the gun.

She shows the jury how the gun would be loaded and readied to fire.

Guy asks if there is a way to load it so you wouldn’t have to pull the slide back.

She explains how that can be done if the magazine is full.

She says she received seven cartridges, or bullets, total.

It would be consistent with a loaded magazine and one in the chamber, she says.

She says the firearm cannot be cocked unless the trigger is pulled.

Siewert explains trigger travel distance and says this gun has a longer distance than most handguns.

“You have to pull back significantly in order release the firing mechanism,” she says.

She shows the jury the holster.

Read more:

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:48 am

11:41 a.m.

She defines the term trigger pull.

She measured it on the firearm using weights. She says it was between 4.5 and 4.25.

Guy shows her the fired cartridge casing.

She says she can determine the gun that fired the casing by comparing them to a test fired one.

She says the cartridge case was fired in the pistol.

Siewert also received bullet fragments.

She says the fired bullet jacket portion was fired from the pistol. The fragments were inconclusive and the lead core was not suitable.

She says the fragments were very damaged.

She received clothing in this case.

She says when a gun is fired a cloud can leave a pattern on an object.

Guy shows the jury the sweater Martin was wearing.

Siewert says she did distance testing on it by looking at the area around the hole. She looked for gun powder particles, sooting and the ends of the fibers.

She says she removed a portion of the back of the sweatshirt for testing purposes. She points out the area

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Mari 68 Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:49 am

Does anyone know if GZ finished college? was this a 4 year degree? or 2 year?

Mari 68
Mari 68

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:03 pm

11:49 a.m.

Guy shows the jury and Siewert the long-sleeved shirt Martin wore under the hooded sweatshirt.

She removed an area from it as well.

Guy asks if she captured her test fire analysis with photography.

She says yes.

Guy shows the court a picture of the hooded sweatshirt.

She points out the markings on it. She says she measured the distance from the shoulder seam and sidearm seam.

Guy shows a close-up photo of the hole. She says there are a few gun powder particles and blackening around the hole, plus burning and singing of the fabric.

Guy shows a close-up of inside the sweatshirt.

She explains how she conducts a distance test. She test fired into portions of both garments she received, she says.

Guy shows a photo of the distance test.

Guy asks what she determined the distance from the muzzle of the gun to the material. She says she determined it was a contact shot.

Guy asks about testing of the under sweatshirt.

She says there was tearing of the fabric and gun powder particles, and light sooting and burning of the fabric ends.

Guy shows the distance test photo. She says she conducted the test simultaneous as the other one and layered them with the hoodie on top.

She says it was consistent with a contact shot.

She says it is consistent with the muzzle making contact with the outer sweatshirt.

Guy finishes questioning.

O'Mara begins cross examination.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Having difficulty with clarity even without the Skype.

MOM has repeatedly phrased his questions re specific actions as being customary for LE. Problem with this: GZ is NOT LE in any shape or form!!! That needs to be addressed by prosecution.!!!!

Today, MOM is re to LE carrying loaded, etc., as would military...
he wants the jury to infer it is customary for THEM and for GZ as well.

She is good at testifying. She brought up the gun physically touching outer garment. Pressed in or lightly touching does not matter. She is asked IF the garment was wrapped around it would the stipling/burning be different--- contact shot. IF the garment had covered the end of the gun, the stipling would be slightly different. So now MOM is asking re a few burns that were distant and he is pushing for the gun to be NEXT to the garment; she clarifies it is from a gun pressed against the fabric.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:34 pm

**** I prefer Guy and Mantei (sp) to Bernie.
Bernie just does not seem together for this trial...
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Guy to Sanford PD witness:
Four and a half pounds is not a heavy trigger pull; it is customary.
External safety: button or knob typically located near the butt of the gun; "thumb safety"

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Jury is back.

Anthony Gorgone, state witness:
Bernie is presenting the witness
Crime lab biologist in DNA for state of Florida
Analyst

Overview of DNA uses
Overview of quality assurances, controls offered, clothing worn (gloves, lab coat, mask and sometimes hair nets), proficiency tests every 6 months per individual as well as lab, etc.

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next