Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial #2

+3
CuriousPortlander
Alessandra_Deux
One Wonders
7 posters

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial  #2 - Page 13 Empty Re: James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial #2

Post by Freckles Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:43 am

CuriousPortlander wrote:I was wondering why the jury didn't report a hung jury to the judge, and why he didn't give them an Allen charge.  I found the answer here (written by George Brauchler, specifically about this case; see #12 on page 5):

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/18th_Judicial_District/18th_Courts/12CR1522/004/Peoples%20Motion%20Regarding%20Jury%20Instruction%20Concerning%20Duty%20to%20Deliberate%20P-050.pdf

Page 7, Item 16:
In CA, the jury is charged differently.
Death penalty OR life without parole.
Hung jury? The juror (s) may be removed...
Freckles
Freckles

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial  #2 - Page 13 Empty Re: James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial #2

Post by Alessandra_Deux Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:24 am

It was implied in the jury instructions that if the jury couldn't unanimously agree on the death penalty or to life in prison without the possibility of parole, by law, the judge had to impose the sentence of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.  

Page 1

Count 1: Murder in the 1st degree after deliberation Jonathan Blunk

I* – We the jury are unanimously convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that the appropriate sentence for the defendant James Eagan Holmes on this count is a death sentence.

II** – We the jury are not unanimous convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that the appropriate sentence for the defendant Jame Eagan Holmes on this count is a death sentence. And we the jury unanimously agree that the defendant should be sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole on this count.

III*** – We the jury do not have a unanimous final sentencing verdict on this count. And we the jury understand that as a result the court will impose a sentence of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole on this count.

Page 2

~Snipped~

*** — If the jury does not reach a unanimous final sentencing verdict on this count because it is neither unanimously convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that death is the appropriate sentence nor in unanimous agreement that the defendant should be sentence to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, the foreperson should sign the foreperson should sign on the designed line in Section III of this verdict form to indicate that the jury does not have a unanimous final sentencing verdict on this count. Sections I and II should then remain unmarked. Only one section may be completed on this verdict form – Section I, Section II or Section III. In the event that the jury completes Section II of this verdict form, the court will be required by law to sentence the defendant to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole on this count.

Read more:

http://kdvr.com/2015/08/06/read-final-sentencing-sample-verdict-form-in-theater-shooting-trial/

(Many thanks to CP for posting the above link on a previous page)
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:04 am

Judge in Aurora theater trial will have last word at formal sentencing

Even after verdict, Aurora theater shooting trial is not quite finished

By Jordan Steffen
The Denver Post

Posted:   08/07/2015 06:39:28 PM | Updated:   about 10 hours ago

CENTENNIAL — The jury's final verdict marks the end of the Aurora theater shooting trial, but Judge Carlos Samour Jr. will have the final word.

The life sentence handed down by the jury Friday will be imposed formally by Samour during a sentencing hearing Aug. 24-26.

During that hearing, Samour will impose the jury's verdict formally and sentence James Holmes to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the 24 counts of first-degree murder he was convicted of in July.

The judge also must determine Holmes' sentences for each of the remaining 141 counts he was convicted of, including attempted first-degree murder, attempted second-degree murder and possession of an explosive or incendiary device.

Family members of the 12 slain victims and the 70 surviving victims of the attack in the Century Aurora 16 theater on July 20, 2012, will have a chance to address Samour about their loss and lives after the shooting. Samour previously has said he will not set a limit on the number of victims and survivors who want to talk.

Victims will not be allowed to speak directly to Holmes.

Holmes will be given the chance to speak.

Read more:

http://www.denverpost.com/theater-shooting-trial/ci_28604718/judge-aurora-theater-trial-will-have-last-word?source=rss
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:23 am

Theater shooting victim’s mother reacts to sentencing

By Jordan Bowen
Published: August 7, 2015, 10:31 pm  |  Updated: August 8, 2015, 4:12 am

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – Disappointment… that’s what’s going through Jerri Jackson’s mind tonight after hearing that her son’s killer won’t be paying for his crimes with his life.

Jerri Jackson says she was hoping for a different outcome tonight.

“I’m disappointed,” Jackson said. “I would have thought that someone that killed 12 people and attempted to kill many more would have gotten the death sentence. However, my main concern was that he never walk the streets of America with the opportunity to hurt anybody else.”

Jackson testified in court on Wednesday, telling the grand jury about her final moments on the phone with her son.

“I said be careful, and he said ‘oh mom nothing’s gonna happen’ and he said ‘I love you mom’.”

The day Matt McQuinn was killed in an Aurora movie theater has affected every aspect of Jackson’s life.

Read more:

http://wdtn.com/2015/08/07/theater-shooting-victims-mother-reacts-to-sentencing/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:40 am

A science presentation by James Holmes in 2006

Published on Jul 24, 2012
This video is provided by Claire Sampankanpanich. This excerpted video of James Holmes is from a 10 minute science presentation. James Holmes, who spent eight weeks interning at La Jolla's Salk Institute after graduating in high school in 2006, gave a presentation to his fellow interns at the end of the summer. The 18-year-old explains his studies on temporal illusion, or the perception of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5oVUqFF_mU#action=share

-----------------------

EXACTLY WHAT IS TIME?

Temporal Illusions

http://www.exactlywhatistime.com/temporal-illusions/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:10 pm

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial  #2 - Page 13 CL10HkhWwAExNVd

Source: 7NEWS Denver Channel
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:35 am

Interview: The team that prosecuted the Aurora theater shooting gunman

Interview with the team of prosecutors who worked on the James Holmes case. Rich Orman, Karen Pearson, Jacob Edson and Lisa Teesch-Maguire.

Video:

http://dptv.denverpost.com/2015/08/12/interview-with-the-team-of-proscutors-who-worked-on-the-james-holmes-case/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:25 pm

I presume the gag order has been lifted?
I know there was a request from the state but I did not hear if the judge had lifted it.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:49 pm

Freckles wrote:I presume the gag order has been lifted?
I know there was a request from the state but I did not hear if the judge had lifted it.

Yup:  "That gag order was lifted by Judge Carlos Samour Jr. after the jury's final verdict was read on Friday."

http://www.denverpost.com/theater-shooting-trial/ci_28608738/end-aurora-theater-trial-moves-civil-suits-against
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:41 pm

'It's disappointing and frustrating': Prosecutor says James Holmes' sentence came down to one juror who was FIRMLY in favor of life in prison sentence

Published: 12:26 EST, 15 August 2015 | Updated: 18:14 EST, 15 August 2015

A jury's refusal to sentence Colorado theater shooter James Holmes to die for one of the worst massacres in U.S. history doesn't mean the public is growing wary of capital punishment, because only a single juror blocked his execution, the lead prosecutor said Friday.

The lone holdout felt just as strongly that Holmes should get a life sentence as the 11 other jurors believed he should die for the 2012 shooting, District Attorney George Brauchler said, based on prosecution interviews with some of the panel.

...Prosecutor Lisa Teesch-Maguire said there were more than 1,200 victims and survivors involved in the case, though just 83 took the stand during the guilt phase.

Read more:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3199359/It-s-disappointing-frustrating-Prosecutor-says-James-Holmes-sentence-came-one-juror-FIRMLY-favor-life-prison-sentence.html
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:57 pm

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman 22m22 minutes ago

The #theatershooting court released more documents, including jury questions. Back in court Monday for final phase.

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial  #2 - Page 13 CM91blBWEAAxvnt

https://twitter.com/hashtag/theatershooting
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:38 am

At Least 100 People May Speak at James Holmes' Sentencing

CENTENNIAL, Colo. — Aug 24, 2015, 1:16 AM ET
By SADIE GURMAN Associated Press

At least 100 victims and witnesses of James Holmes' deadly attack on a Colorado movie theater are expected to testify about the crime's profound and continuing impact on their lives during a formal sentencing hearing starting Monday.

The three-day hearing gives survivors a chance to share their harrowing stories with the judge, but it won't change Holmes' sentence. Jurors already determined that Holmes will spend the rest of his life in prison without parole for the July 20, 2012, attack that killed 12 people and injured 70 others.

Judge Carlos A. Samour Jr. will formally sentence Holmes to life on 24 counts of first-degree murder — two for each of those killed. This week's testimony will help him determine Holmes' sentences on 141 other counts that include attempted murder and an explosives charge. Samour has not set a limit on the number of people who can take the stand.

Read more:  http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/100-people-speak-james-holmes-sentencing-33271798
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:00 am

Watch sentencing hearing live
:  

http://www.courtchatter.com/#!james-holmes-trial-stream-3/c1ijf

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/aurora-movie-theater-shooting/trial-live

Last edited by CuriousPortlander on Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link)
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:43 pm

CuriousPortlander wrote:Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman 22m22 minutes ago

The #theatershooting court released more documents, including jury questions. Back in court Monday for final phase.

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial  #2 - Page 13 CM91blBWEAAxvnt

Those are good, solid questions.
I like the last one and wonder why it was not asked.
JH had plenty of psychologist working on interpreting his brain and his actions.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:31 pm

Veronica's grandfather thanked the jury, etc., and then blasted the decision they failed to make. Said lack of justice, immoral. Judge questioned him on this: he answered he has read the jury questionnaire. He said he looked for those jurors with a moral crusade. Said the final verdict being so quick it was reprehensible by the jury. Said it was deceitful. Said he asked if a juror had committed perjury, would the prosecution go after them? The state prosecutor said no. Veronica's grandfather said this one juror had made a mockery of the justice system. Feels JH should be taken from the court and shot to death.

Judge is addressing the negative comments made buy the grandfather indicating he has NO information regarding any perjury. Judge will not allow criticism of his jury. Does not believe any juror has behaved with deceit. IF there is any information giving PROOF, he will hear it. Judge said it was a tough case. He can understand the difficulties of the task. Does not believe anyone on the jury did anything improper.

Wow.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:37 pm

I disagree with Samour. I still believe that this one juror lied about her feeling regarding the death penalty.

Nadine

5 minutes ago
Judge Samour is inviting anyone with information about that juror's prejudice to come forward - one hopes that could happen.

JW
6 minutes ago
He is accusing the juror of deception/perjury. There were 3 who were not on board. He is in contempt.

Franklin

7 minutes ago
I can't get over how eloquent and amazing Mr. Sullivan was.

Kels
9 minutes ago
Lost the feed at crucial moment when MrSullivan was answering the judge's question.

Franklin

10 minutes ago
I wouldn't want to run into either of their spawn.

JW
10 minutes ago
The best part of this in the DT not objecting!!

Steve
12 minutes ago
@JW: Probably because AC has four children. I wonder if King or Spengler have kids.

Nadine

13 minutes ago
GB has been having a very hard time controlling tears...me too.

JW
14 minutes ago
This should make JH show emotion

Tjq612
16 minutes ago
Sullivan is now reading a eulogy for Veronica that he said he wrote for her funeral

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:05 pm

40 more witnesses for victims' impact statements.
More testifying tomorrow.
Wed will finish the statements with sentencing following.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:11 pm

Rehash of the 7 doctors who testified during case in chief:

1. Dr. William Reid says the gunman knew what he was doing and knew the consequences

2. Dr. Lynne Fenton, who treated the gunman before the shooting, says the gunman never told her about his weapons or plans to attack.

3. Dr. Jeffrey Metzner, James Holmes' first sanity exam doctor, says the malingering tests he conducted confirm the gunman wasn't faking his illness.

4. Dr. Jonathan Woodcock said gunman was 'severely mentally ill'

5. Dr. Elizabeth Lowdermilk testifies gunman could be psychotic and still plan the shooting

6. Dr. Rose Manguso said test results showed the gunman was not faking a mental illness

7. Dr. Raquel Gur testified that the shooting can be traced back to the gunman's delusions. She said he suffers from schizophrenia and she believes he should be considered legally insane.

Note*
Each of the above has a short separate mini-video at the link provided below.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/movie-theater-shooting/7-doctors-who-testified-about-the-theater-gunman-videos-from-the-trial-of-james-holmes
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:49 pm

A parade of pain at James Holmes sentencing

By Ann O'Neill, CNN  Updated 9:25 PM ET, Mon August 24, 2015

(I'm only posting JH's picture because of the smirk on his face that we couldn't see today (gives me chills)):

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial  #2 - Page 13 150824184618-holmes-sentencing-hearing-exlarge-169

(CNN)One by one, the wounded and the grieving are telling a Colorado judge how the Aurora movie theater gunman stripped the normal from their lives. Some are sobbing, some are angry. All are shattered by loss.

It is a parade of pain that will not change the sentence for the 27-year-old shooter. James Eagan Holmes will spend the rest of his life behind bars.

But the inevitable outcome didn't stop the grieving grandfather of the gunman's youngest victim from making a suggestion:

"I would challenge the murderer to do the right thing for once in this trial and petition the court for execution by firing squad," said Robert Sullivan.

He was the doting grandfather of 6-year-old Veronica Moser-Sullivan, who had innocent, shining brown eyes. Her pregnant mother, Ashley Moser, was shot and paralyzed.

Read more:  http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/24/us/james-holmes-aurora-massacre-sentencing-hearing/
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:11 pm

^^^^
Not sure but I understood the picture was captured before or after a yawn.
He may have been biting back a yawn and it escaped him.

(BTW, not all yawns are signs of boredom. Many are simply an attempt at the raising of oxygen levels in the body. That is sometimes seen when the heart rate is low. No puns intended here...)
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:46 pm

a few seconds ago
I'm not going to argue with anyone here. I know that courts do not allow defendants to be medicated as that will cause them to not be able to understand what is going on when they need to know/ be cognitive of what is going on to have a FAIR trial. :)

Eleanora Bradford

5 minutes ago
Ibby this case was not cut and dry -----maybe they never are, but this one had glaring holes in it because of the state of psychriatric medicine it seeminly was not up to the task of deciphering where and how the chemical make up of the mind works, when it is imbalanced in such a way this is going to become a larger societal problem because the means to control it is irrational, more violence, more guns, vigilantes, etc

prism
5 minutes ago
@Eleanora--You have obviously not been following very closely. Holmes has been on continuous anti-psychotic medication since November, 2012.

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:53 pm

4 minutes ago
@mandi that information about the jury was known ahead of time if you go back and look at the informaton that was shared about the jury's you will find it... so both sides knew that's how that jury felt before the trail started nothing was hidden

LG
5 minutes ago
the jury questionaire is online - check it out before you all start making assumptions about that one juror. That jury and procecution did exactly what they needed to do!!
(Note: There were # jurors who did not agree with the majority for death penalty. Not just one.)

blsisner
5 minutes ago
"Just what people in the depth of emotional pain need is a lecture" They need to come to an understanding. Contempt for the court does not cut it here.

Face Ripper

7 minutes ago
when Juror #17 was interviewed, she said one juror want not willing to consider DP at all

mandi
8 minutes ago
Just what people in the depth of emotional pain need is a lecture.

kindlezee

8 minutes ago
The lectures by the Judge are also to ensure the court reporter gets it into the record.

Kristle
8 minutes ago
Brauchler has been pushing the one juror hold-out meme in media interviews. He needs to stop.

Face Ripper

9 minutes ago
@ mandi, I wonder about that myself. If her mind was made up when she got on the jury then she was cruel to let the punishment stage get past stage two. Any amount of decency would have made her stop at the mitigation stage.

TB
9 minutes ago
I think the judge wants to explain the reasoning for the laws so they dont just sit with anger about the outcome and let it fester..

emma
9 minutes ago
@mandi that's not true, they were all open about their DP thoughts and they shared if they could or couldn't it was in the information shared of a few of the jurors that was given out to the media
LG

5 minutes ago
The parent's did not do this. She sounded sincere and it does have to hurt her, no one would ever want to go through her position just like they wouldn't want to go through the victim's positions. I don't find it in me to attack them because their son is vile animal. I hope they find some clarity in their lives just like I wish the same for the victims.

Marsha Laurienti

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:01 pm

Prosecution is doing statement before the judge.
He is wanting the harshest things possible which the state will not allow.
He is maintaining the state of Colorado could actually send JH to another state, ie, California, and JH could then have contact with his parents...
(And the family could actually move to Colorado but the state failed to mention that!)
He is stating JH juror moved "quickly past the idea of mental illness"...
He is asking the judge to consider what might have been...
He is stating JH had a dream, fantasy, goal, plan for someone to go into his apartment...and they would be met with the (booby trapped apartment...)
He is stating JH was prepared to kill hundreds... JH only stopped shooting when the trigger stopped firing.
"When you look out there, Judge, and you see the things he stole from them....empty seats at the theater, missing servicemen, people who would have made a difference in our lives... Maybe even a politician, a good one (he laughs)..."
"Someone may ask, "What difference did 2015 make?..."

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:05 pm

Mr. King, def atty,:
We will not make a recommendation to the court.
This juror gave their best in their duties.
We most humbly respect the victims in this case.
It pains us ... never been our intentions to harm any of the victims.
We tried to reach a resolution to avoid this trial.
We even offered to plead guilty to ALL the charges....
We hope these victims can find some measure of peace, some measure of closure.

We will not be seeking an appeal in this case.

Court dismissed until Wed, 9 AM MST.

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:12 pm

a few seconds ago
I am not a Brauchler fan. His showmanship is the equivalent to really bad acting. All the money he wasted to keep his name on the news. Worst DA ever for Arapahoe County. He enjoyed every minute of his charade. Just my honest opinion.

Rick S

Aurora movie theater shooting sentencing: Veronica Moser-Sullivan's grandfather implies juror lied
Judge defends the jury

This is from Aug 25:

"...Following that final verdict, juror No. 17 revealed that only one of the 12 deliberating jurors stood firmly against the death penalty. Two others, she said, were undecided.

"That juror that abstained, I would put on the stand," Sullivan suggested. "And I guarantee you that even I, a layman, could take her apart. I could find the deception and the lie because you don't go through those phases as quick as you did only to come back when it comes time for the verdict and the other jurors found that his one wasn't going to move."

Judge Carlos Samour replied with thanks for Sullivan's candor about his loss but said he would not stand for that kind of disrespect for the jurors.

"I can't remember a tougher case to be a juror on," Samour said. "This was a difficult task and there is no reason to believe that anyone on the jury was deceptive or that anyone did anything improper."

Later, when District Attorney George Brauchler stood to read another impact statement, he took a moment to concur with the judge and express for the record that he had no intention of questioning the jury's work. ..."

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:15 pm

Convicted theater gunman James Holmes to hear from survivors and witnesses in sentencing hearing
Gunman already headed to life in prison for murder

"....State corrections officials will determine where Holmes will be incarcerated after an evaluation that includes his mental health. That could last up to 60 days, Department of Corrections spokeswoman Adrienne Jacobson said.

Colorado prisons have an extensive mental health care system, and Holmes, who has been diagnosed with varying forms of schizophrenia, could wind up in the department's mental hospital, the 250-bed San Carlos Correctional Facility in Pueblo.

The department has four levels of security for inmates, and those serving a life sentence, like Holmes, are usually classified at the highest or second-highest security level, Jacobson said. She said she couldn't speculate on what kind of prison routine Holmes or any inmate would have....."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/movie-theater-shooting/theater-gunman-to-be-sentenced-for-attempted-murders
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:05 am

CuriousPortlander wrote:
Watch sentencing live
:  

http://www.courtchatter.com/#!james-holmes-trial-stream-3/c1ijf

Bumping and adding another link:  http://dptv.denverpost.com/2015/04/27/theater-shooting-trial/
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:22 am

Will C. Holden
‏@will_c_holden 4m4 minutes ago

#TheaterShooting Judge grants DA motion for restitution, asking for just shy of $800k from victim compensation. Live: http://link.kdvr.com/1NHTrf2

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:01 pm

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ · 4m
Judge points out DP may not have stood up and who knows when he would have been executed #theatershooting

https://twitter.com/hashtag/theatershooting?src=hash
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:04 pm

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 6m
#theatershooting

It is gut wrenching to read victim impact statements

7NEWS Denver Channel ‏@DenverChannel  · 6m  
Aurora #theatershooting judge: 'I have never had an officer break down on the stand' -
http://bit.ly/7NEWStheatertrial …

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:07 pm

7NEWS Denver Channel ‏@DenverChannel · 5m
Aurora #theatershooting judge says 'If we subscribed to the 'eye for an eye' philosophy we’d be no better than [the gunman.]'

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:11 pm

Alan Gionet ‏@AlanGTV · 6m
Judge Samour: "We are a civilized society...We're different from the criminal who is on trial." During sentencing in #Theatershooting

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:37 pm

Will C. Holden ‏@will_c_holden 14m14 minutes ago

#TheaterShooting Judge: "At least 1 juror showed mercy. Victims showed courage. Defendant had neither. Trial has shown goodness of humanity"

Will C. Holden ‏@will_c_holden 17m17 minutes ago

Judge: Before #theatershooting, defendant made call. That shows he he knew right/wrong. That=fork in road. He chose to kill innocents.

Debi Hyland ‏@DebiHyland 20m20 minutes ago

JS to victims "You have my admiration. I cannot fathom what you've gone through and you keep surviving" #theatershooting #theatertrial

Will C. Holden ‏@will_c_holden 22m22 minutes ago

#TheaterShooting Judge: "Know victims wanted death. But you're healing isn't tied 2 defendant's fate. U have grit. U don't quit. I admire u"

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:40 pm

Will C. Holden ‏@will_c_holden 24m24 minutes ago

#TheaterShooting Judge: "Victims either had potential 2 make world better or were already doing it. Defendant robbed their families & world"

Will C. Holden ‏@will_c_holden 27m27 minutes ago

#TheaterShooting Judge: It is almost impossible to believe someone who never committed a crime could have hatred enough to kill innocents.

Will C. Holden ‏@will_c_holden 29m29 minutes ago

Judge: (Holmes) once escaped through video games until he decided to view people in #theatershooting as characters in his video games.

7NEWS Denver Channel ‏@DenverChannel 29m29 minutes ago

Aurora #theatershooting judge says the gunman would have killed more people "if he had his way."

Will C. Holden ‏@will_c_holden 30m30 minutes ago

#TheaterShooting Judge: Holmes had chances 2 better life amid adversity but rejected them. And he didn't just quit, but took others w/ him.

Will C. Holden ‏@will_c_holden 33m33 minutes ago

#TheaterShooting Judge: "Evidence shows (Holmes) was angry & disappointed. Life knocked him down, like it does all of us. He chose to quit."

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:58 pm

7NEWS Denver Channel ‏@DenverChannel · 4m
BREAKING: Aurora #theatershooting gunman getting maximum sentence for attempted murders - 48 years in prison (on top of 12 life sentences.)

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:59 pm

Will C. Holden ‏@will_c_holden 8m8 minutes ago

#TheaterShooting Judge 1st going through 12 life sentences for murder, which were automatic after conviction. Live: http://link.kdvr.com/1NHTrf2

7NEWS Denver Channel ‏@DenverChannel 5m5 minutes ago

BREAKING: Aurora #theatershooting gunman getting maximum sentence for attempted murders - 48 years in prison (on top of 12 life sentences.)

7NEWS Denver Channel ‏@DenverChannel 3m3 minutes ago

Aurora #theatershooting gunman will serve sentences for attempted murders consecutively, per Judge Carlos Samour.

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 4m4 minutes ago

Attempted murder charges he gets 48 years & 5 years mandatory parole #theatershooting

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:01 pm

Alan Gionet ‏@AlanGTV · 3m
#Breaking Judge in #theatershooting begins sentencing 4 attmpt murder counts-giving max 48 yrs for each. @CBSDenver

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:02 pm

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol · 4m
#theatershooting judge is giving that guy the maximum on all of the attempted first-degree murder charges

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:08 pm

Alex Stone ‏@astoneabcnews 3m3 minutes ago

Colorado #theatershooting gunman gets max under CO law... 12 life terms plus over 3000 years in prison.  Sentence being read now in court

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:20 pm

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol 2m2 minutes ago

#theatershooting

Sheriff, GET THE DEFENDANT OUT OF MY COURTROOM PLEASE. (CLAPS)

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial  #2 - Page 13 CNWdhUwUAAAAwbt

Jaime Berg ‏@JaimeMarieBerg 2m2 minutes ago

Jaime Berg retweeted 7NEWS Denver Channel

#TheaterShooting judge says he's 100% sure that this is a just sentence for the gunman.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 2m2 minutes ago

#theatershooting Judge: "Deputy, get this defendant out of my courtroom, please." Applause erupts from the gallery.

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:26 pm

KRDO NewsChannel 13 ‏@KRDONC13 · 4m
Final count: James Holmes sentenced to 12 life sentences without parole plus 3,318 years in prison. #theatershooting

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:30 pm

Judge formally sentences James Holmes to life in prison

Associated Press By SADIE GURMAN
17 minutes ago

CENTENNIAL, Colo. (AP) — James Holmes was an angry quitter who gave up on life and turned his hatred into murder and mayhem against innocent victims in a Colorado movie theater, the judge said Wednesday before formally sentencing him to life in prison.

"It is almost impossible to comprehend how a human being is capable of such acts," Judge Carlos A. Samour Jr. said.

Samour contrasted Holmes' bloody assault with the compassion of a juror who voted for a life sentence instead of the death penalty. And he noted the trial was fair, even if some victims were disappointed that Holmes didn't get the death penalty.

"I believe in the system," Samour said. "I said that before, and I'll say it again. I believe in the system."

Samour formally sentenced Holmes to life in prison without parole for the murders of 12 people. He also was sentencing Holmes to more than to 3,200 additional years for attempted murder and an explosives conviction.

Read more:  http://news.yahoo.com/judge-set-sentence-colorado-theater-shooter-life-060524254.html
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:01 pm

Scott Cohn ‏@ScottCohnTV · 14m
If Holmes sentence went back in time, he'd get out in time to witness the building of Stonehenge. #theatershooting

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:19 pm

James Holmes Sentenced (Different View)

Croaker Queen

Published on Aug 26, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vin7eItMw9A&feature=youtu.be&a
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Alessandra_Deux wrote:Alan Gionet ‏@AlanGTV  · 6m  
Judge Samour: "We are a civilized society...We're different from the criminal who is on trial." During sentencing in #Theatershooting

He diminishes his authority and the message when he deviates into immaturity emotionalism.
("Get this defendant out of my court!" We also heard that in the Bob Bashira case...Is this the customary judicial,"Good-bye!" after sentencing ? The judge already has the last word and the upper hand. No need for one last hurrah...)
The judge has shown a lack of emotion throughout the trial.
Why now bring out the emotion?
It appears insincere and pandering to an audience.

(Are the judges in CO appointed by the governor? Are they elected?)

It is ridiculous to sentence in such a manner. I could accept one life sentence for each of the victims BUT to then add an insanely high number of YEARS? Why mix the apples and the oranges? By adding all the years plus the life sentences it appears the judge wants to be known in some book of World Records as the judge who imposed the longest inconceivable sentence on ONE person.

Ridiculous miscarriage of justice.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:08 pm

Alessandra_Deux wrote:7NEWS Denver Channel ‏@DenverChannel  · 5m  
Aurora #theatershooting judge says 'If we subscribed to the 'eye for an eye' philosophy we’d be no better than [the gunman.]'

We DO subscribe to an eye for an eye Biblical concept.
We just do it in other manners...

A former LE in TX was wrongly accused of murdering his spouse.
He was tried, sentenced, and put into solitary for 14 months.
New evidence emerged and he was exonerated.
Of course, his life was gone.
And he would never return to the field of corrections or policing.
And his views on the prison system were also changed...
Cruel and unusual punishment? Try 14 months in solitary, falsely accused and scorned by all.
That is enough to create mental illness IF you were sane to start with.

When SEVEN mental health workers testify JH was mentally ill when the crimes were committed;
when JH had attempted to start counseling and medications to assist with his mental problems;
How is the sentencing going to benefit JH?
How will it benefit the victims?
How will it benefit society?
We do not allow horses or dogs or cats to remain caged and isolated for ONE life time and yet, in some fantasy, this judge believes twelve lifes (symbolic) and THOUSANDS of YEARS in addition is going to make some difference some where???

Tell me HOW it is going to make a difference??? Shocked

I am at sixes and sevens with this...

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:52 pm

Rich Orman
‏@RichOrman

(Most of) the trial team out for a post-sentencing lunch.  #theatershooting

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial  #2 - Page 13 CNW-0O8VAAAmWzM

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:00 pm

Marshall Zelinger ‏@7Marshall 3h3 hours ago

Nothing like the #TheaterShooting judge getting 3 years of emotion out of me by saying, "Sheriff, get the defendant out of my courtroom."

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 3h3 hours ago

Really loved Judge Samour from start to finish #theatershooting

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:28 pm

PERRY: Theater shooting trial Judge Samour has taught us all what justice really is

It was like having Carl Sagan patiently explain an amazing experiment unfolding at the same time he was running it.
BY DAVE PERRY, editor, Updated: August 26, 2015 1:15 pm

Aurora theater shooting trial Judge Carlos Samour Jr. for president.

OK, maybe it’s a little premature to see if we can get Aurora’s smooth-talking El Salvadoran judge off the bench and into the White House, but no matter how much you hated the excruciating trial of whacked shooter James Holmes, you have to admit you liked the guy in charge of the courtroom.

...I often marveled at how Samour casually and easily mixed an authoritative matter-of-factness with some occasional humor, a lot of sympathy and patent humility. This wasn’t just a trial, it was a near-reenactment of one of the most horrific crimes in the country. Despite the grim nature of the calamity, Samour’s enthusiasm for pursuing justice in this and any case was unmistakable.

http://www.aurorasentinel.com/opinion/perry-theater-shooting-trial-judge-samour-taught-us-justice-really/#.Vd4MS2-9lB8.twitter
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:35 pm

Will C. Holden ‏@will_c_holden 42m42 minutes ago

Will C. Holden retweeted Irish Mason

#TheaterShooting sentence is now on the list (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_prison_sentences …) but it's not longest sentence ever given

Will C. Holden added,
Irish Mason @IrishMason
@will_c_holden Just curious - is that sentence a Guiness record?

List of longest prison sentences

Chamoy Thipyaso 1989 141,078 years Thailand

In 1989, the world's longest sentence for corporate fraud of 141,078 years was handed down to Chamoy Thipyaso in Bangkok, Thailand, according to Guinness World Records 2006. She defrauded more than 16,000 Thais in a pyramid scheme worth $204 million at the time.[1]

(7 others with longer sentences than "that guy"...)

Read more:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_prison_sentences
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next