Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING

+16
Stolat
Alessandra_Deux
Lash
Tamta
snowbird
Gizmo711
KZ
stina
Julie
Estee
Trueblue
sitemama
justanopinion
KimmyK
GlaringError
DebFrmHell
20 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 4 Empty Re: NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING

Post by justanopinion Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:36 am

I watched an interview with the Toronto Police Chief who was speaking about this extreme tragedy. He had said that most of the firearms in Toronto shootings had come from the US and that better gun control is needed.

His message will have a huge impact in Toronto where many people will not know the current legislation regarding gun laws. Education is paramount in any discussion about what happened here.

In Canada there is a 28 day waiting period for purchase. To obtain a permit to purchase there are several pages of questions some of which are: have you ever been treated for a mental health related disorder? (not certain if my husband could now get a PAL licence as he has bee prescribed a anti-depressant for pain) Is there anyone living in your home with a criminal history?

Hand guns have been restricted since the 1920's and so have automatics. Shot guns are restricted to 3 shots and centerfire rifles are 5 shots. (this is not perfect but does have limits)

Gun storage and transportation also have restrictions. I am not saying that this couldn't happen here, just that gun control doesn't change what can happen.

We don't need to have knee jerk reactions and implement new laws and policies. We need to investigate and really understand the motives and respond to that.

justanopinion
justanopinion

Mood : Angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Lash Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:08 am

‘I Am Adam Lanza’s Mother’: When Parents Are Afraid of Their Children
By Susanna Schrobsdorff | Dec. 17, 2012

But there’s another group of parents who watched this horror story unfold with an opposite and perhaps more excruciating thought: What if the madman were my child?

Parents of mentally ill children and young adults can’t say they are afraid of their own children or admit that they know what it’s like to have bright children whose rages could, under circumstances they can’t predict, lead them to kill innocent people the way Adam Lanza is alleged to have done at Sandy Hook Elementary. And they can’t find comfort in the wake of a national tragedy by sharing their feelings around the watercooler like the rest of us.

But this week, one of these mothers stepped forward with an eloquent, wrenching cry for help that has echoed across the Web. In a blog post republished on the Blue Review titled “I Am Adam Lanza’s Mother,” Liza Long writes, “I live with a son who is mentally ill. I love my son. But he terrifies me …”

She goes on: “I am sharing this story because I am Adam Lanza’s mother. I am Dylan Klebold’s and Eric Harris’s mother. I am James Holmes’s mother. I am Jared Loughner’s mother. I am Seung-Hui Cho’s mother. And these boys — and their mothers — need help. In the wake of another horrific national tragedy, it’s easy to talk about guns. But it’s time to talk about mental illness.”

http://healthland.time.com/2012/12/17/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother-when-parents-are-afraid-of-their-children/
Lash
Lash

Back to top Go down

NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 4 Empty Liza Long's Blog

Post by Lash Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:20 am

The Anarchist Soccer Mom | December 14, 2012

Thinking the Unthinkable

In the wake of another horrific national tragedy, it’s easy to talk about guns. But it’s time to talk about mental illness.

Three days before 20 year-old Adam Lanza killed his mother, then opened fire on a classroom full of Connecticut kindergartners, my 13-year old son Michael (name changed) missed his bus because he was wearing the wrong color pants.

“I can wear these pants,” he said, his tone increasingly belligerent, the black-hole pupils of his eyes swallowing the blue irises.

“They are navy blue,” I told him. “Your school’s dress code says black or khaki pants only.”

“They told me I could wear these,” he insisted. “You’re a stupid bitch. I can wear whatever pants I want to. This is America. I have rights!”

“You can’t wear whatever pants you want to,” I said, my tone affable, reasonable. “And you definitely cannot call me a stupid bitch. You’re grounded from electronics for the rest of the day. Now get in the car, and I will take you to school.”

I live with a son who is mentally ill. I love my son. But he terrifies me.

A few weeks ago, Michael pulled a knife and threatened to kill me and then himself after I asked him to return his overdue library books. His 7 and 9 year old siblings knew the safety plan—they ran to the car and locked the doors before I even asked them to. I managed to get the knife from Michael, then methodically collected all the sharp objects in the house into a single Tupperware container that now travels with me. Through it all, he continued to scream insults at me and threaten to kill or hurt me.

That conflict ended with three burly police officers and a paramedic wrestling my son onto a gurney for an expensive ambulance ride to the local emergency room. The mental hospital didn’t have any beds that day, and Michael calmed down nicely in the ER, so they sent us home with a prescription for Zyprexa and a follow-up visit with a local pediatric psychiatrist.

Continued - http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html?m=0
Lash
Lash

Back to top Go down

Post by Estee Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:39 am

I know how this woman feels...I had a long hard battle with Brian...He exhibited a lot of those same traits...There is no way I could let him know I was afraid of him...He was Baker Acted and let go as he outsmarted them...I could go on and on, but it makes me too depressed remembering the BAD times...I love him and miss him so much...good, bad and so-so times...If only I could hold him in my arms again...
Estee
Estee

Mood : Neener

Back to top Go down

Post by Lash Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:29 am

The Batman movie, 'Dark Knight Rises' as we know is forever connected to the Aurora shootings. I have been reading all over the Internet another possible connection, Sandy Hook. Both Aurora and Sandy Hook appear in the movie. Sandy Hook is a city shown on a map that appears in the movie. Aurora appears in the movie in red lighted letters on a building. I could not find a link that wasn't connected to a conspiracy blog. Since a conspiracy theory is not my reason for posting this, I did not want to link to these sites.

I do find it interesting that we have two mass killings with names that appear in this movie. Could Adam have been attempting to copy the Aurora shootings? Was Adam a fan of this movie? I'm thinking motive, not conspiracy. It would be interesting to know if anything is recovered on the damaged hard drives showing an affiliation with Adam and the movie.
Lash
Lash

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:36 am

I find this hard to believe. Some of the comments make more sense than the article.

Remember Websleuths was able to find stuff on totmom's (she LOVES that nickname!) computer that LE overlooked? I bet they'd be able to answer this one.

We May Never Know What Was on Adam Lanza's Hard Drive

By Adam Clark Estes | The Atlantic Wire – 10 hrs ago.

Read more:
http://news.yahoo.com/may-never-know-adam-lanzas-hard-drive-050048533.html

btw, when all this was starting to unfold Friday morning, when we were still hearing misinformation that his mom was the Kindergarten teacher, and he killed her at the school, I remember wondering when we were going to start hearing all the excuses, he was distraught that his mom was a teacher, he was mentally ill, he forgot to take his meds, etc etc....

How about he was just pure evil. No heart. No conscious. Like Casey.

Biblically speaking, the first murder was Cain killed Abel. Was Cain mentally ill? Did he forget to take his meds that day? Nope. He was sinfully jealous that his brother looked better than he did in God's eyes. Maybe shooter (don't want to publicize his name again) knew he was a loser geek in society's eyes.

This soooooooo pisses me off! Evil or Very Mad

This should NOT have happened!!! not fair Sad

Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life
Mood : Musical

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:47 am

Freckles wrote:http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=RC-C

Candle site.

Bumping.

afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro

It just tears me up inside to see those kids' pictures. Sad
And the courageous, hero school faculty who also lost their lives. Sad
Julie
Julie
Admin

Location : casting unprofessional actors to make a low budget movie about my life

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:01 pm

Saw this earlier.

http://captcartoon.com/images/sandy-hook-crying-santa-800.jpg

Sad
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:32 pm

Just a few more thoughts I've had this morning.

Most of these children didn't even lose their first tooth yet. : (

They were all probably looking forward to Christmas & Santa.

Instead they were faced with the shooter.

I read in a recent article that they never heard of Columbine, etc so this made absolutely NO sense to them.

He shot his mom dead while she slept, awful, terrible, yes, but at least she didn't see it coming. You can't say the same for the 20 innocent children & 6 faculty.

Finally, imo, Cindy has lost her title of "The Grinch". Remember the youtube video?

This guy is now "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas"!

not fair

Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:41 pm

If you are interested:
Make a heart or more:
http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/billings-family-school-organize-paper-heart-drive-for-newtown-conn/article_37bfdf1a-51c8-5f77-abee-3c786491d99a.html

PO BOX:
http://news.yahoo.com/conn-post-office-creates-special-address-newtown-condolence-191237031.html;_ylt=AjytybnHqSdgmLtc0JutFw0PLBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTN0czJwcmF2BG1pdANUb3BTdG9yeSBTY2llbmNlU0YEcGtnAzc5NzAxODI2LWVlMGMtMzFhZS04ODJmLWM2MWVlMmJmY2VmNARwb3MDMTAEc2VjA3RvcF9zdG9yeQR2ZXIDYjFkZDQ4YTEtNDhhMS0xMWUyLThlOGYtOTQ5OWE4MzBiNWY3;_ylg=X3oDMTFsMmxkdGs2BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANzY2llbmNlBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3
Freckles
Freckles

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:31 pm

Guns, Mental Illness and Newtown

There were 18 random mass shootings in the 1980s, 54 in the 1990s, and 87 in the 2000s

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323723104578185271857424036.html?mod=WSJ_article_MoreIn_Opinion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:39 pm

EXCLUSIVE: Fear of being committed may have caused Connecticut gunman to snap

The gunman who slaughtered 20 children and six adults at a Connecticut elementary school may have snapped because his mother was planning to commit him to a psychiatric facility, according to a lifelong resident of the area who was familiar with the killer’s family and several of the victims’ families.

“From what I've been told, Adam was aware of her petitioning the court for conservatorship and (her) plans to have him committed," Flashman told FoxNews.com. "Adam was apparently very upset about this. He thought she just wanted to send him away. From what I understand, he was really, really angry. I think this could have been it, what set him off.”

Read more:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/18/fear-being-committed-may-have-caused-connecticut-madman-to-snap/#ixzz2FSBNznKq

This, imo, is plausible. As I mentioned in an earlier comment, it is difficult to force an adult child into treatment or even a psychiatric facility, it too may be something his mother threaten, just speculating.

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Mix of info:

"Dr. Max Wiznitzer, a pediatric neurologist and autism expert at Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital in Cleveland, also said the gunman's actions can't be linked to autism spectrum disorders.

"Aggression and violence in the ASD population is reactive, not preplanned and deliberate," he said."

"At least two more victims, 6-year-olds Jessica Rekos and James Mattioli, had burials scheduled for Tuesday. "
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/18/us/connecticut-school-shooting/index.html
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:07 pm

Threat Closes Newtown Elementary School, on Day Classes Were to Resume

http://abcnews.go.com/US/newtown-conn-school-closed-threat/story?id=18006311

Is there sanity in the world any more??????

Parents, volunteers worked to bring desks, supplies to Chalk Hill school. That school is 7 miles away. It had been closed due to declining enrollment.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:12 pm

IMO
I am guessing here.
I do not know why this perp decided to kill those at the school. I am guessing, however, he simply started at one end of the school and was intending to go to every classroom or until he was stopped. For him, it was just the rooms of "convenience" as he may have intended to decimate every student, every adult present. Rooms of opportunity.

IMO

Put of respect for the grief these families and communities are experiencing, I really wish the elected would NOT take this opportunity to try to push through any political motives. That is just wrong!

And, IF the school wants more security or the town does, then hire some vets--- they have common sense and training. They also love children.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:34 pm

6-year-old Connecticut shooting victim died in arms of teacher's aide, family says

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/18/6-year-old-connecticut-shooting-victim-died-in-arms-teacher-aide-family-says/
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:10 pm

art tart wrote:Guns, Mental Illness and Newtown

There were 18 random mass shootings in the 1980s, 54 in the 1990s, and 87 in the 2000s

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323723104578185271857424036.html?mod=WSJ_article_MoreIn_Opinion

I could be way off here, but maybe dominant extended media coverage of these events has something to do with it? Maybe it plants ideas into the minds of people who are capable of this type of thing? They want to be the next news story. It used to be we only had about 6 or so TV channels to watch, then we got Cable TV, with 24 hour cable news channels, and then we all got computers, with computer accessible news, etc.

NEWTOWN CONN. SCHOOL SHOOTING - Page 4 5368

But I did see one Newtown woman being interviewed, who sounded like she was ready for all the media to go home and let the town grieve in peace.

Reminds me of Don Henley's song, "Dirty Laundry".
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Julie wrote:
art tart wrote:Guns, Mental Illness and Newtown

I could be way off here, but maybe dominant extended media coverage of these events has something to do with it? Maybe it plants ideas into the minds of people who are capable of this type of thing? They want to be the next news story. It used to be we only had about 6 or so TV channels to watch, then we got Cable TV, with 24 hour cable news channels, and then we all got computers, with computer accessible news, etc.

But I did see one Newtown woman being interviewed, who sounded like she was ready for all the media to go home and let the town grieve in peace.

Julie - Sadly imo, the MEDIA is going to stay on this story until a bigger or more tragic event happens. Can you believe it?

The Batman Movie Theater shooting seems so long ago to me, even the reports of Hurricane Sandy seem a long time ago, but their really not, this story is bigger and the Media has moved onto this. Meanwhile, many victims are still struggling from the Colorado Shootings and families displaced by Hurricane Sandy. Sad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:09 am

Man who took in students after shooting speaks

By Katherine Cavazini
updated 9:38 PM EST, Tue December 18, 2012

•Gene Rosen, a Newtown resident, took in 6 students after the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School
•Rosen said one of the students told him, ‘we can’t go back to the school, our teacher is dead’
•One student said, ‘he had a big gun and a small gun'

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/12/18/rosen-gene-took-sandy-hook-students-after-shooting?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by sitemama Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:46 am

(This is so beautiful I really needed to share this with you and please pass this on to others)

twas' 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38
when 20 beautiful children stormed through heaven's gate.
their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air.
they could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.
they were filled with such joy, they didn't know what to say.
they remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.
"where are we?" asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.
"this is heaven." declared a small boy. "we're spending Christmas at God's house."
when what to their wondering eyes did appear,
but Jesus, their savior, the children gathered near.
He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same.
then He opened His arms and He called them by name.
and in that moment was joy, that only heaven can bring
those children all flew into the arms of their King
and as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,
one small girl turned and looked at Jesus' face.
and as if He could read all the questions she had
He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of mom and dad."
then He looked down on earth, the world far below
He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, and woe
then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,
"Let My power and presence re-enter this land!"
"may this country be delivered from the hands of fools"
"I'm taking back my nation. I'm taking back my schools!"
then He and the children stood up without a sound.
"come now my children, let me show you around."
excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran.
all displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.
and I heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,
"in the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT."
sitemama
sitemama
Admin

Mood : Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:16 am

sitemama wrote:(This is so beautiful I really needed to share this with you and please pass this on to others)

"this is heaven." declared a small boy. "we're spending Christmas at God's house."

Wow, sitemama, that really is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KZ Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:29 am

Wow.

That is so moving, sitemama. And creative.Thanks for that.

I have had the TV off since Friday. I am so filled with sorrow every time I see an article or a news story, I can hardly breathe for the weight on my chest. I can't remember having a visceral reaction like this for so long to other tragedies. It's all just about more than I can handle emotionally. I can only take small bits of coverage, so I read here.

I'm not ready to face all of the coverage yet. Just want to be still and hug my kids a while longer. Next week maybe I can take more. It's just so incredibly painful on so many levels. I don't know how, how those parents will be able to go on living, or adjust to a new normal. The surviving kids, the school staff-- the ripples of victims go on and on.

It's unspeakable. It was bad enough to talk about it with my 11 year old, but Julie learned of it, and I just worry, worry that I'm not explaining it right. Our school robo-called with a policy that it would not be discussed between kids and teachers. If the kids bring it up, they are "gently" sent out of the classroom to a counselor. I don't know if that is the right thing, either.

There is no chapter in the "parent's handbook" for this.
KZ
KZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:48 am

Sitemama-

Thank you. I am not easy to tears and this moved me most deeply. I read it to a friend who asked for a copy; I am giving her one.

Do you have an author I can put on this?
I would like to share this with my local paper.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:50 am

KZ---
On one talk show, a psychologist was telling how to talk with children. While much is based on personality, age, etc., one thing he said stood out: The odds of something like this happening to anyone of us would be like being struck by lightening---- or winning the lottery!
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:04 am

Thank you Mama, that is beautiful!

Freckles wrote:KZ---
On one talk show, a psychologist was telling how to talk with children. While much is based on personality, age, etc., one thing he said stood out: The odds of something like this happening to anyone of us would be like being struck by lightening---- or winning the lottery!

Hard to believe but something similar to this happened 17 years ago.

Sending 'sympathy and love': Newtown's agony echoes in Scottish town

By Keir Simmons and Yuka Tachibana, NBC News

DUNBLANE, Scotland -- Thousands of miles from Newtown, Conn., a lone gunman walked into the elementary school of this Scottish town and murdered 16 children aged 5 and 6 along with their teacher.

That was 17 years ago, but memories of the incident, which led to a total ban on the private ownership of handguns in the U.K., are still raw in Dunblane.

Read more:
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/19/16008985-sending-sympathy-and-love-newtowns-agony-echoes-in-scottish-town?lite
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lash Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:32 am

Julie wrote:

Reminds me of Don Henley's song, "Dirty Laundry".

Julie - We may have seen the same interview. It was with Erin Burnett on CNN. A local was saying in the first days of the shooting the community walked in the streets and embraced each other. She continued to say most locals are now staying in their homes to avoid the media because reporters are everywhere. She thanked the world for caring about Newtown but stated their community needed to grieve together. She eluded the media presence was keeping the town from gathering together in peace.

Sadly, the media cares about who is the first to report, who is the first to get whatever interview, etc...Too many times reporting inaccurately just to be the first to report on a new development. The story is not going away. Let the true facts come out and then report. I don't doubt the reporters covering the story care, but let these people grieve in peace.
Lash
Lash

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:05 am

sitemama wrote:(This is so beautiful I really needed to share this with you and please pass this on to others)

AH Sitemama, how beautiful, I needed to read that this morning, the pain is for the those left behind to learn to cope with.

I worked w/a little boy that was 10 yrs. old but the size of a 2 yr. old. His little body had so many deformities and he had Cerebral P. He cooed and made noises when I worked with him, his eyes were expressive, he was just precious. One Monday I had gone in to work with him and his teacher told me he had passed away over the weekend. I was devastated, I cried a week until a co-worker said, "DaTravious is free at last, he couldn't even crawl, nor walk on earth, but today he is running free in Heaven and is in no pain. He is just like every other child in Heaven."

I thought of him when I read some of the children murdered were special needs children, I have no doubt they are at peace.

Back to top Go down

Post by sitemama Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:50 am

My uncle attends First Baptist Church in Morganton and he received this in his bulletin at church Sunday. I think his pastor may have written it, but I'm not positive. He forwarded it to me via e-mail Monday but he said the message was all that was written on the paper.
sitemama
sitemama
Admin

Mood : Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:45 pm

sitemama wrote:My uncle attends First Baptist Church in Morganton and he received this in his bulletin at church Sunday. I think his pastor may have written it, but I'm not positive. He forwarded it to me via e-mail Monday but he said the message was all that was written on the paper.
I read that aloud to a friend.
She would like to post that on her FB page.
Would that be okay?
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by justanopinion Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:32 pm

I can be very analytical and detached sometimes because of the things life has thrown at me..

this has made my stomach queasy and my heart hurt. I am angered that the media propagates so many unsubstantiated theory's and stories. I wish that they could just leave these people alone to grieve ... and then if they need the frenzy go back after these young darlings have been put to rest. There needs to be a road block in and out until these families have had a chance to find each other and gather strength.

I know that I was even angry that the sun shone in the few days following this tragedy. I can't imagine what it is like to have complete strangers at your door begging to have you explain to the world (more strangers) what this feels like..

justanopinion
justanopinion

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:58 pm

justanopinion wrote:I can be very analytical and detached sometimes because of the things life has thrown at me..

this has made my stomach queasy and my heart hurt. I am angered that the media propagates so many unsubstantiated theory's and stories. I wish that they could just leave these people alone to grieve ... and then if they need the frenzy go back after these young darlings have been put to rest. There needs to be a road block in and out until these families have had a chance to find each other and gather strength.

I know that I was even angry that the sun shone in the few days following this tragedy. I can't imagine what it is like to have complete strangers at your door begging to have you explain to the world (more strangers) what this feels like..

Amen!
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:23 pm

justanopinion, your comment reminded me of an article I read on this case. The funeral director at one of the Funeral Homes stated no one had claimed the bodies of Adam or his mother. Nancy, Adam's mother was too a victim.

I thought, gosh, Ryan, the older brother I guess is responsible for claiming the remains and the preparation for burial or cremation although he lives in another city and is 24 yrs. old. Adam's father has stated how shocked they too were that Adam had done this.

I can't wrap my mind around the emotional toll this tragedy is going to take on the class mates that lived, the school staff etc. I just have to read the story in small increments, it's too much to grasp.

The MEDIA needs to leave these grieving families alone, there should be a law against them, this is more abuse. imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by justanopinion Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:35 pm

art tart wrote:justanopinion, your comment reminded me of an article I read on this case. The funeral director at one of the Funeral Homes stated no one had claimed the bodies of Adam or his mother. Nancy, Adam's mother was too a victim.

I thought, gosh, Ryan, the older brother I guess is responsible for claiming the remains and the preparation for burial or cremation although he lives in another city and is 24 yrs. old. Adam's father has stated how shocked they too were that Adam had done this.

I can't wrap my mind around the emotional toll this tragedy is going to take on the class mates that lived, the school staff etc. I just have to read the story in small increments, it's too much to grasp.

The MEDIA needs to leave these grieving families alone, there should be a law against them, this is more abuse. imo.

Amen

Last edited by justanopinion on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : tried to fix this sorry)
justanopinion
justanopinion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:15 pm

Seven-year-old Daniel Barden had one hope for when he grew up: To be a firefighter like his uncles.

But while the youngster's future was tragically cut short when he became one of Adam Lanza's 26 victims in the Sandy Hook massacre on Friday, his dreams have not been forgotten.

In a heart-wrenching display of kindness and remembrance on Wednesday morning, firefighters from as far as New York City attended the young boy's funeral in Newtown to pay their respects.

As Daniel's parents, brother and sister arrived at St. Rose of Lima Church at 10am, the firefighters somberly formed an honour guard along the road, silently offering support to the heartbroken family.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2250635/Sandy-Hook-victims-Firefighters-attend-funeral-Daniel-Barden-7-wanted-join-ranks-grew-up.html

The pictures of the men is so touching, showing their respect to one of the youngest victims that aspired to be a fireman.

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:41 pm

art tart wrote:justanopinion, your comment reminded me of an article I read on this case. The funeral director at one of the Funeral Homes stated no one had claimed the bodies of Adam or his mother. Nancy, Adam's mother was too a victim.

Has Adam's body been released?
IMO, the father should be accepting his son's body.
He may be reluctant to get his son at this time.
I am sure the whole town is emotionally drained and really does not want to see the Lanza family in town.
Not even the brother.
This makes it difficult for them at this time.

The Lanza family has a tough time ahead, I am sure.
BTW, someone will need to go in and secure the home, feed the pets if there are any.
House will need to be "broken down" and placed for sale.
All that is going to be rather difficult.
Perhaps, HER family will assist?
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Bruce Jenner grew up 2 miles away from Sandy Hook.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2250784/I-mad-evil-humanity-Bruce-Jenner-reveals-went-school-just-miles-away-Sandy-Hook-massacre.html
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Newtown: Firefighters Form Human Wall To Block Westboro Baptist Church

" The WBC promised to picket the funerals of the 20 children and six adults who were killed in Friday’s Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre."

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/newtown-firefighters-form-human-wall-to-block-westboro-baptist-church/news/2012/12/19/56880

Newtown: Police, Fire, Motorcycle Group, Among Do-Gooders Preventing Westboro Funeral Picket

" The images are stunning. Ordinary citizens, many not from Newtown, literally hand-in-hand and arm-in-arm with members of a motorcycle group called the Patriot Guard Riders, along with lines of police and firefighters."

" On FDNY website, The Bravest, a posting asked firefighters and police officers to go to Newtown in plain clothes and block the protesters from the victims’ families and friends during the funeral processions."

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/newtown-police-fire-motorcycle-group-among-do-gooders-preventing-westboro-funeral-picket/news/2012/12/19/56888

Wednesday: Westboro Baptist Church To Picket Funeral Of Sandy Hook, CT School Principal
(This is so nasty I won't copy it here.)

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/1-wednesday-westboro-baptist-church-to-picket-funeral-of-sandy-hook-ct-school-principal/news/2012/12/18/56840

What a hateful group! So glad others were to to keep this group blocked from the sight of grievers.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:04 pm

" Update as of 3:20 p.m. on Dec. 19:

Applause erupted in the crowd along the streets of Woodbury as it was announced that members of the Westboro Baptist Church were not coming to protest at the wake for Dawn Hochsprung, the Sandy Hook School principal who was among the 26 victims of the Dec. 14 shooting in Newtown, Conn.

Nicole Sabel of the Women's Center of Greater Danbury made the announcement."

http://newtown.patch.com/articles/woodbury-preparing-if-protestors-attend-sandy-hook-principalmemorial-service
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Freckles wrote:

Has Adam's body been released?
IMO, the father should be accepting his son's body.
He may be reluctant to get his son at this time.
I am sure the whole town is emotionally drained and really does not want to see the Lanza family in town.
Not even the brother.
This makes it difficult for them at this time.

The Lanza family has a tough time ahead, I am sure.
BTW, someone will need to go in and secure the home, feed the pets if there are any.
House will need to be "broken down" and placed for sale.
All that is going to be rather difficult.
Perhaps, HER family will assist?

Freckles - I didn't think of the father claiming Adam's body, I guess I just thought that Nancy, Adam's mother would be buried w/Adam. I am assuming, Ryan has a relationship w/his dad, hopefully they can support each other and take care of the remains, hopefully Nancy is buried w/Adam. It's really sad that Adam had quit communicating w/his dad in 2010 for whatever reason.

I would think the house is a crime scene for months to come..just speculation on my part. The MEDIA is doing a lot of speculation it seems imo at this time, I have read so many different reports on Adam's computer. I don't doubt he tried to damage the computer with a hammer/screwdriver, but UNTIL LE releases information for fact, all those that have been offering opinions about what could be saved would seem to be just a guess. I read the hard drive was in pieces, but IDK, I don't trust the reports or opinions about what could be saved since we don't know. I was really hoping for information from the computer to offer some insight into Adam's rage.

I read an article on the sister in law that lives near Nancy & remained close to her and she said "Nancy had been diagnosed w/MS." She too confirmed Adam had a diagnosis of "Autism," which would have been "asperger's syndrome," that is probably correct as Ryan too said Adam was Autistic. Adam seemed to have more problems than falling under the umbrella of AS, I guess we will just have to wait and see on that aspect too.

Meanwhile, families are trying to cope, survivor's are trying to cope, I am humbled by their dignity in spite of unimaginable loss. Sad Sad Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:08 pm

Some are asking why the killer chose such little ones.
I was thinking about this.
I don't think he so much chose the class as it was probably the first classes closest to the office.
Usually, the lower grades are the ones closest to the office.
IMO, I think he was just going to go down the line, class by class. The age was probably not relevant to him.

IMO, his mental health was degrading as he aged.
He did have the ability to plan, however, as exhibited by his actions.

God hold these families together, keep them in his arms.
Give them courage for all the days ahead.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:18 pm

Freckles - I think you may be right about the choice of classes. Too, in the upper grades, some of those kids might have been as big as Adam as he appears so small in comparison to others. (RE: his computer tech club photo)

He must have entered the front of the school because that is usually where the office of the school is located and I think the Principal and psychologist were killed in the hall there.

I haven't seen anything else about Adam having an altercation with 4 people the day before at the school. In light of what we know, WHY would he have been at the school the day before? I read Nancy was out of town since Tuesday of that week at a day spa, something she did often and returned to her home on Thursday. She's dead Friday. Lots of unanswered questions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2250799/Nancy-Lanza-Sandy-Hook-gunman-Adam-left-home-gun-spree.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/exclusive-mind-newtown-killer-article-1.1223612

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:22 am

This is the BEST visuals of the inside of the school thus far I have seen on the murders at Newton.

The Building is in 3 D showing the classroom and the point of Adam's entrance. You can visually enter the building and see the location of the school office and classrooms.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/fullpage/newtown-ct-shooting-timeline-sandy-hook-elementary-school-18014080

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:01 am

Like many other tragedies, scammers stalk Newtown

Someone they didn't know was soliciting donations in Noah's memory, claiming that they'd send any cards, packages and money collected to his parents and siblings. An official-looking website had been set up, with Noah's name as the address, even including petitions on gun control.

Noah's uncle, Alexis Haller, called on law enforcement authorities to seek out "these despicable people."

"These scammers," he said, "are stealing from the families of victims of this horrible tragedy."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57560159/like-many-other-tragedies-scammers-stalk-newtown/

Victim's family speaks out after scammers try to cash in on Newtown tragedy

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/20/victim-family-speaks-out-after-scammers-try-to-cash-in-on-newtown-tragedy/#ixzz2Fb4QuxeZ

Paul Simon performs 'Sound of Silence' at funeral for Sandy Hook teacher, Victoria Soto.

Today, Paul Simon, at the request of their family friends, the Sotos, performed 'Sound of Silence' at the funeral for their beloved daughter Vickie Soto. The Sotos and Simons met through Vicki’s mother and Paul’s sister-in-law, both nurses."

"Sound of Silence" is the same song that Simon performed to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Sept. 11.

http://todayentertainment.today.com/_news/2012/12/19/16021164-paul-simon-performs-sound-of-silence-at-funeral-for-sandy-hook-teacher?lite

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:53 am

art tart wrote:Freckles - I think you may be right about the choice of classes. Too, in the upper grades, some of those kids might have been as big as Adam as he appears so small in comparison to others. (RE: his computer tech club photo)

He must have entered the front of the school because that is usually where the office of the school is located and I think the Principal and psychologist were killed in the hall there.

I haven't seen anything else about Adam having an altercation with 4 people the day before at the school. In light of what we know, WHY would he have been at the school the day before? I read Nancy was out of town since Tuesday of that week at a day spa, something she did often and returned to her home on Thursday. She's dead Friday. Lots of unanswered questions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2250799/Nancy-Lanza-Sandy-Hook-gunman-Adam-left-home-gun-spree.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/exclusive-mind-newtown-killer-article-1.1223612

I, too, want to know about the altercation. And I want to know about the man in camo seen and question outside the school, in the woods, at the time of the shooting.

Latest I heard re Nancy: She had just gotten back from leaving her son alone for two days; friends all say she would never have moved to Washington; she would never have institutionalized her son; she had been asking him to get a job or return to his schooling. Friends are puzzled where these other reports are coming from.

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:58 am

I used "Sounds of Silence" at two funerals.
The first one, the person who died was a family friend and a pianist and had taped himself playing the song. He had gifted me the tape many years before. With the second funeral, my father's, I had the tape running softly in the background at the cemetery. Beautiful song.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:03 am

People are so evil at times.
First, the Westboro "Baptist" church trying to use these deaths to promote their own agenda, their own hostility;

Obama using this to try to erase the Constitution Second Amendment rights and demanding it be done before the funerals have even taken place;

The bomb threats at the Catholic church in Newton during service for one of the victims; bomb threats at other schools in the area;

Now financial scammers?

I hope karma kicks in before these evil ones discover their hells; they are despicable actions.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by justanopinion Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:16 am

I again am appalled by the Media... maybe it is just my twisted sense of right and wrong..

I can say from personal experience that when there is a tragic event and the Media feels that they can gain something newsworthy from you they will hound you and make life unliveable. There were only 3 newspapers and 2 television stations in my hometown. A young child died in a freak accident, my husband was one of the people who performed CPR while waiting for an ambulance. The Media called our home from 7 am in the morning until 10 pm at night... when we wouldn't answer the telephone the came to the door. We were devastated by the little girls death could barely eat, sleep or take care of our children and yet they harassed us to the point of hiding out in our basement for days. I cannot even fathom what this town is being subjected to... between the clamouring for a story and the unending coverage of what should be a very private and personal time.

I am not saying that as a Country or as people we should not be supportive and/or want to understand what happened but can this not wait until the bodies are buried? I am very upset that it seems like they have turned over every rock to get a story and I fear that it may get in the way of LE really conducting the investigation. I have respect for the Sheriff who has basically said he will not be doing more Media interviews. Anything new would be a press release on the police website. I applaud him for walking away from the Media circus.

JMO JMO JMO
justanopinion
justanopinion

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:24 am

Re the theory the killer may have been wanting to avoid a confrontation with the older--- bigger, taller--- students, I disagree. After all, he killed 6 adult teachers. I don't think he was thinking let alone being rational. Just systematic in his shooting.

IF we want to know what triggered his actions, we NEED to hear from his father, his brother, and those in contact with his mother. His computer may be helpful but not necessarily. A note? But that isn't available. A cell phone? Maybe.

I can not imagine his brother, Ryan not seeing his brother for TWO years? Why? What triggered that?

Oh. Early on, it was reported a fe/male had been found dead in an apartment in the community Ryan lived in. Why no more on that? It had been speculated it was the mother until she was found dead in Newtown. So who was this other death? And where were the other "friends" who were reportedly missing, a male and a female? Perhaps, since they were found and alive, they might be able to tell us something re the killer.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:26 am

justanopinion wrote:I again am appalled by the Media... maybe it is just my twisted sense of right and wrong..

I can say from personal experience that when there is a tragic event and the Media feels that they can gain something newsworthy from you they will hound you and make life unliveable. There were only 3 newspapers and 2 television stations in my hometown. A young child died in a freak accident, my husband was one of the people who performed CPR while waiting for an ambulance. The Media called our home from 7 am in the morning until 10 pm at night... when we wouldn't answer the telephone the came to the door. We were devastated by the little girls death could barely eat, sleep or take care of our children and yet they harassed us to the point of hiding out in our basement for days. I cannot even fathom what this town is being subjected to... between the clamouring for a story and the unending coverage of what should be a very private and personal time.

I am not saying that as a Country or as people we should not be supportive and/or want to understand what happened but can this not wait until the bodies are buried? I am very upset that it seems like they have turned over every rock to get a story and I fear that it may get in the way of LE really conducting the investigation. I have respect for the Sheriff who has basically said he will not be doing more Media interviews. Anything new would be a press release on the police website. I applaud him for walking away from the Media circus.

JMO JMO JMO
Cool
To use a dated phrase, the need to "get a grip."
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by justanopinion Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:01 am

Freckles I do have a grip!

this was shared because there is something deeply personal about being part of the death of a child... even when you are a first responder.. or being questioned by the Media is there anything you could have said to get the ambulance there faster... or such inane questions... how long did it take for them to get there... could you have done more?
and because the Media is truly relentless in their quest for the "story" and there are so many more Media at this scene.. I have empathy for those people.

Last edited by justanopinion on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
justanopinion
justanopinion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next