Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial

+4
CuriousPortlander
Alessandra_Deux
Freckles
Weeziethm
8 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial - Page 10 Empty Re: James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:35 am

Watch live
:  http://kdvr.com/2015/06/04/watch-live-day-25-of-aurora-theater-shooting-trial/

ETA: KDVR hasn't started showing it yet: Watch here: http://www.wildabouttrial.com/trial_videos/james-holmes-trial-live-stream/

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial - Page 10 Empty Re: James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:00 am

Will C. Holden ‏@will_c_holden 4m4 minutes ago

Our #theatershooting live feed is down due 2 tech issues related 2 hail at courthouse. Trying 2 get it back here ASAP http://link.kdvr.com/1Jt0hTa

https://twitter.com/hashtag/theatershooting?f=realtime

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:35 am

Will C. Holden ‏@will_c_holden  · 6m  
Tech issues fixed & #theatershooting live stream back up & running. Watch here as Holmes & Dr. Reid debate morality: http://link.kdvr.com/1Jt0hTa
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylife101 Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:12 pm

JH's evaluation with Dr. Reid is just about done playing. We already know that Dr. Reid found JH to be legally sane. I agree with that assessment. What do the rest of you think now?

Mylife101
Mylife101

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:35 pm

http://kdvr.com/2015/06/04/watch-live-day-25-of-aurora-theater-shooting-trial/

With all the awareness JH expressed in answer to the question, HOW could he even have been drugged? Clear answers. No generalities but answered specifically to each question.  I do wish the interviewer would do something about that "S" sound... hurts my ears.

Hair: Dyed to remember him
Contact lens: To remember him
(What? Was he wearing some Hollywood stule lens to magnify his appearance? To make his eyes appear crazy? More on this, please!)
Freckles
Freckles

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:45 pm

Mylife101 wrote:The Gold Patrol™ ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 37m37 minutes ago  
#theatershooting

Before break, JH said on video that he got 3 tickets to try and get into theater #9.

Once inside, he faked getting a phone call, went to his car, put on his gear.

https://twitter.com/thegoldpatrol

(This would confirm witness, Corbin Date's account of seeing JH get a phone call and go to the outside exit door with a phone to his ear. IIRC, Date's testified that he didn't pay attention after that because he had to go out to the lobby to meet his friend that had just arrived at the theatre.)

So he got a call from whom? Surely, they DO have possession of his cell phone, right?
WHO CALLED HIM? This is instrumental in the events that unfolded.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:51 pm

Mylife101 wrote:@ Freckles

One more thought on the intent and appropriateness of Dr. Reid's question about JH writing about his penis size.

Please allow me to play devil's advocate here with some hypothetical scenarios.  Would you feel different about Dr. Reid asking that question if JH had responded in one of the following ways? 1. What if JH had said that he had been teased mercilessly all through school and made fun of in the locker room because he has a small penis? 2. What if JH had said his girlfriend laughed at/or broke up with him because of a small penis?  3. What if JH had said that he didn't think a woman would ever want a man with a small penis and that he thought he would never have a marriage and family?  IMO, any one of these hypothetical answers might bring meaningful insight as to JH's feelings about himself and/or his future.  Of course, JH dismissed the small penis comments as not having any significance...but, there is no way Dr. Reid could have known that unless he asked the question.  Your thoughts?
I don't think there is a clear connection between the reason the question was asked an the response. Because of that, either sloppy presentation/connection (which I doubt) or it is of no value to this case. Because I do believe the prosecution has control over the questions,etc., I have to wonder WHY this was introduced? Is it for titillation for the court, ie, the jury?
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:03 pm

One more thought on the intent and appropriateness of Dr. Reid's question about JH writing about his penis size.

Please allow me to play devil's advocate here with some hypothetical scenarios. BM(I play DA all the time! Very Happy )  Would you feel different about Dr. Reid asking that question if JH had responded in one of the following ways? 1. What if JH had said that he had been teased mercilessly all through school and made fun of in the locker room because he has a small penis? 2. What if JH had said his girlfriend laughed at/or broke up with him because of a small penis?  3. What if JH had said that he didn't think a woman would ever want a man with a small penis and that he thought he would never have a marriage and family?  IMO, any one of these hypothetical answers might bring meaningful insight as to JH's feelings about himself and/or his future.  Of course, JH dismissed the small penis comments as not having any significance...but, there is no way Dr. Reid could have known that unless he asked the question.  Your thoughts?

The point is Reid did NOT ask those questions and no testimony evolved indicating JH had negative images of his body due to outside comments or bullying.
Reid did not elicit those responses and failed to link the answers to the questions in any fashion to begin to explain the actions.
Reid did agree with JH's assessment JH was a serious student and others saw him as a serious student.

We are all effected by the events of our lives. Comments others make, our interpretations, our own evaluations of our actions have lasting impact upon us. JH stated he could not think of a time when someone else could have offered positive comments and it would have had important impact upon him... This is not a weak ego... He is not relying upon others for emotional well being. Nor is he reacting to some believed injustice to himself. He is not complaining of how society saw him prior to the events of the shooting.

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylife101 Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:06 pm

Freckles wrote:
Mylife101 wrote:The Gold Patrol™ ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 37m37 minutes ago  
#theatershooting

Before break, JH said on video that he got 3 tickets to try and get into theater #9.

Once inside, he faked getting a phone call, went to his car, put on his gear.

(This would confirm witness, Corbin Date's account of seeing JH get a phone call and go to the outside exit door with a phone to his ear. IIRC, Date's testified that he didn't pay attention after that because he had to go out to the lobby to meet his friend that had just arrived at the theatre.)

So he got a call from whom? Surely, they DO have possession of his cell phone, right?
WHO CALLED HIM? This is instrumental in the events that unfolded.

Nobody called him.  JH faked that he had received a phone call by pretending to answer his cell phone.  He pretended to be on his phone so that other movie patrons would not be suspicious about why JH was stepping out through the side exit door. Corbin Dates saw JH with the phone to his ear and walking toward the exit door.  JH was pretending that he was on the phone.  This was a very good deceptive move on the part of JH, IMO.  When I get a call on my phone, I step outside of the presence of others as a courtesy or to better hear the caller if I am in a noisy place; therefore, I would not be surprised or suspicious to see someone else doing the same thing.

LE does have JH phone and phone records.  The only call made by JH was a call to the UC Hospital hotline several minutes before he went through with his plan to shoot people in the theatre.
Mylife101
Mylife101

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:11 pm

@13:30:00

Listen to ALL he was aware of:
1. Aware he did not call out, yell or say anything during the shooting.
He is asked this question several times and answers remain steady.

2. JH is aware the gun jammed.

3. JH is aware of "certain people moving around" in the theater.

4. JH was aware he was done.

Etc.

Edited:
JH is not delusional. He is sane.

Last edited by Freckles on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:12 pm

IIRC, there were early statements (prior to trial) of witnesses who HEARD the phone ring and saw a person (believed to be JH) go to the back exit door...

How about an alarm on the phone?
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylife101 Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Freckles wrote:

Please allow me to play devil's advocate here with some hypothetical scenarios.  Would you feel different about Dr. Reid asking that question if JH had responded in one of the following ways? 1. What if JH had said that he had been teased mercilessly all through school and made fun of in the locker room because he has a small penis? 2. What if JH had said his girlfriend laughed at/or broke up with him because of a small penis?  3. What if JH had said that he didn't think a woman would ever want a man with a small penis and that he thought he would never have a marriage and family?  IMO, any one of these hypothetical answers might bring meaningful insight as to JH's feelings about himself and/or his future.  Of course, JH dismissed the small penis comments as not having any significance...but, there is no way Dr. Reid could have known that unless he asked the question.  Your thoughts?
 I don't think there is a clear connection between the reason the question was asked an the response. Because of that, either sloppy presentation/connection (which I doubt) or it is of no value to this case. Because I do believe the prosecution has control over the questions,etc., I have to wonder WHY this was introduced? Is it for titillation for the court, ie, the jury?

The reason that the question was asked is because JH twice mentioned penis size in his own writings. JH dismissed it as not important or a factor in his mindset for the shootings. Dr. Reid accepted JH's answer and moved on. With great respect for your opinion, I'm not sure why this question is such a big deal. IMO, a good psychiatrist has to look at the entire person, strengths, vulnerabilities, etc. Sometimes that involves asking people uncomfortable questions. I am almost certain that Dr. Reid would never have asked about JH penis if it had not been for JH twice writing about it.
Mylife101
Mylife101

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylife101 Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:16 pm

Freckles wrote:@13:30:00

Etc.

Edited:

Yes, I agree. JH is sane! Mentally ill, IMO, but legally sane.
Mylife101
Mylife101

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:21 pm

I don't accept Dr. Roothie (sp) commenting she had never seen someone so anxious...

Nowhere does JH demonstrate ANY anxiety!
He is remarkably calm... and THAT is what is disarming to me.
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:23 pm

Mylife101 wrote:
Freckles wrote:@13:30:00

Etc.

Edited:

Yes, I agree.  JH is sane!  Mentally ill, IMO, but legally sane.

I don't see him even as mentally ill.
I question whether he might be a pawn to serve some other purpose...

Added:
Not suicidal or at risk.
One reference to indicate hygiene was failing.
No shadows, voices, lights, flickering, etc. No disillusions.
No comments re human capital.
No complaints against other people.

Comments from Fenton/Feinstein
Suggests other might think it was wrong or dangerous... reflecting upon the "morality" issue.
JH does not share the massing of weapons.
Speaks of failing his preliminary exams, would be dropping out of school, lose his insurance, unsure of comments re the losing the lease, said he had to go and talk with adviser about dropping out.. and he left.
The two drs offered support to help him financially but he declined.
(Does not sound mental to me! Would they have offered if he was mentally incapacitated or a risk to self or others? What probative value does this offer when TWO could not determine the psychological imbalance of an individual they know??? It tells us they either did not know him, or they are unable to correctly assess individuals before them...)

Last edited by Freckles on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylife101 Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:23 pm

Freckles wrote:IIRC, there were early statements (prior to trial) of witnesses who HEARD the phone ring and saw a person (believed to be JH) go to the back exit door...

You can make your own smartphone ring. For example, if I wanted to change the ringtone on my phone I can just go to "settings" and click on a new sound. That sound would be played out loud and I could "select" that sound or try out a different one. It would still sound like my phone is ringing to anyone else in the vicinity. Many people set their phone to "vibrate" so that the phone just vibrates without making a sound to alert them to a call. It is not unusual to see a person reach in their pocket, pull out a phone that you never even heard ring and then say "Hello". So whether witnesses did or did not actually hear the phone ring is of no consequence IMO because JH could have used either method to "pretend" that he had received a call. JH admits to faking that call.
Mylife101
Mylife101

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:37 pm

Mylife101 wrote:
Freckles wrote:IIRC, there were early statements (prior to trial) of witnesses who HEARD the phone ring and saw a person (believed to be JH) go to the back exit door...

You can make your own smartphone ring.  For example, if I wanted to change the ringtone on my phone I can just go to "settings" and click on a new sound.  That sound would be played out loud and I could "select" that sound or try out a different one.  It would still sound like my phone is ringing to anyone else in the vicinity.  Many people set their phone to "vibrate" so that the phone just vibrates without making a sound to alert them to a call.  It is not unusual to see a person reach in their pocket, pull out a phone that you never even heard ring and then say "Hello".  So whether witnesses did or did not actually hear the phone ring is of no consequence IMO because JH could have used either method to "pretend" that he had received a call.  JH admits to faking that call.

Sure to all you have said. However, early on, a witness said they actually heard the phone RING.
Mine was to determine IF it was from another caller to JH OR if he had programmed his own phone to ring so as to announce "the start" of the shooting events... Setting his own alarm on his phone. Would this not have showed up on the phone forensics?
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Page before the numbering, first page of the book, JH discusses the meaning of life, the ultraception symbol (infinity) and the number one. Then page before page 27....

Now  page 29 ....
Thots about life, world, universe, people, justice... documenting his own thots.
Philosophical but odd and out of context. Inference to represent anguish or mental illness...

Part of the global assessment:
Philosophical thots from his classes? Dr. never asked and JH never discussed.

Pg. 48:
Atty asks what impact if any to inform intent and to act accordingly...
Dr. states it shows pros and cons, ideas discussed and some discarded, etc.
other pages show more planning, realistic planning, as the plans are shown for other theaters; shows trouble of thot and the actual measuring of the planning; states JH estimates how long for LE to respond and for his own apprehension.

Atty: pg 32 -36:
Dr. states the pages are things JH finds disturbing qualities of himself.
JH does not state he sees shadows, hears voices.

DR concludes JH has a serious/significant mental illness.
States serious is a measurable rather than significant.
Serious is stronger word.
DR feels JH has difficulty in dealing with most (not all) other people.
Caused JH to be nervous, anxious, behave oddly, misjudges others intents, inability reach max potential in work, home; inability to interact comfortably with society.
DR uses the Diagnostic and .... ? Fifth Edition. Edited: DSM 5.
Standard tool for clinicians to be able to diagnose and exchange info with others.

Last edited by Freckles on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylife101 Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:55 pm

Freckles wrote:
Mylife101 wrote:

You can make your own smartphone ring.  For example, if I wanted to change the ringtone on my phone I can just go to "settings" and click on a new sound.  That sound would be played out loud and I could "select" that sound or try out a different one.  It would still sound like my phone is ringing to anyone else in the vicinity.  Many people set their phone to "vibrate" so that the phone just vibrates without making a sound to alert them to a call.  It is not unusual to see a person reach in their pocket, pull out a phone that you never even heard ring and then say "Hello".  So whether witnesses did or did not actually hear the phone ring is of no consequence IMO because JH could have used either method to "pretend" that he had received a call.  JH admits to faking that call.

Sure to all you have said. However, early on, a witness said they actually heard the phone RING.
Mine was to determine IF it was from another caller to JH OR if he had programmed his own phone to ring so as to announce "the start" of the shooting events... Setting his own alarm on his phone. Would this not have showed up  on the phone forensics?

LE can figure out just about anything done on JH smartphone. Smartphones are actually miniature computers and everything is recorded to the same degree as it would be on a home computer or laptop computer. It is very possible that witnesses did hear his phone ring. JH could easily have made that happen as I described above or by setting the alarm feature with the alarm set to a tone similar to a phone ring tone. To the best of my knowledge JH phone/phone record did not record an incoming/outgoing call that evening with the exception of JH calling the hotline at CU hospital. JH faking that call is the incident that spurred the rumor that there was more than one shooter, IIRC.
Mylife101
Mylife101

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:57 pm

I am so delighted I still have my kitchen wall phone! Very Happy
I even still have my bedroom clock with the little bells on top...
All this technology.... it will outlive me!
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:02 pm

"Capacity to know right or wrong based upon societal standards..."
Yep! That is "morality"...

IMO, this is making a square peg fit the round hole.
An outsider trying to determine what is going on and its value within the mind of another person...
What makes this worse logically, the doctor is relying upon OTHERS for their opinions, other students as well as other professionals.
Now the doctor is defining a fixed false belief based upon the opinions of others within the society!!!
Nothing solid but simply a guessing game.
Doctor is pretty well convinced JH is delusional... Wow. "Pretty  well convinced"  says nothing.
As for the comment JH believed a box he saw had a certain meaning and it did not is delusional? (Ha ha and Happy Birthday! Can you guess what is in this box? If you are wrong, you might be delusional.... and mentally ill. )

Doctor: He is stating IF you believe you are something "grandiose" then you are mentally ill.
Oh. No! IF you belief CA might break off and fall into the ocean, then you are delusional!
So I must be crazy as I watch the erosion and the earth movements and conclude EVENTUALLY Ca WILL go into the ocean.

I will love to hear his interpretation of Fraggle Rock and the song, "I can do Anything!" It on my Own "
Miss Piggy is delusional and mentally ill...

Last edited by Freckles on Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylife101 Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:08 pm

Freckles wrote:Page before the numbering, first page of the book, JH discusses the meaning of life, the ultraception symbol (infinity) and the number one. Then page before page 27....

Now  page 29 ....
Thots about life, world, universe, people, justice... documenting his own thots.
Philosophical but odd and out of context. Inference to represent anguish or mental illness...

Part of the global assessment:
Philosophical thots from his classes? Dr. never asked and JH never discussed.

Pg. 48:
Atty asks what impact if any to inform intent and to act accordingly...
Dr. states it shows pros and cons, ideas discussed and some discarded, etc.
other pages show more planning, realistic planning, as the plans are shown for other theaters; shows trouble of thot and the actual measuring of the planning; states JH estimates how long for LE to respond and for his own apprehension.

Atty: pg 32 -36:
Dr. states the pages are things JH finds disturbing qualities of himself.
JH does not state he sees shadows, hears voices.

DR concludes JH has a serious/significant mental illness.
States serious is a measurable rather than significant.
Serious is stronger word.
DR feels JH has difficulty in dealing with most (not all) other people.
Caused JH to be nervous, anxious, behave oddly, misjudges others intents, inability reach max potential in work, home; inability to interact comfortably with society.
DR uses the Diagnostic and .... ? Fifth Edition. Edited: DSM 5.
Standard tool for clinicians to be able to diagnose and exchange info with others.

The DSM-5 is the Diagnostic and Statistical Manuel, Fifth Edition. It is put out by the American Psychological Association and is updated periodically to reflect new conditions, diagnostic criteria, and best practices. In diagnosing a patient the clinician must determine how many criteria/symptoms the patient presents. There is a threshold of criteria that the patient must meet before it is correct to diagnose the patient with any particular condition/illness. The DSM is a useful tool for creating consistencies in diagnosis across the mental health practice.
Mylife101
Mylife101

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylife101 Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:18 pm

The Gold Patrol™ ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 17m17 minutes ago  
View translation
#theatershooting

Reid: JH has schizotypal personality disorder

Schizotypal Personality Disorder Symptoms
By Psych Central Staff
~ 3 min read
~snipped~
Schizotypal personality disorder is characterized by someone who has  great difficulty in establishing and maintaining close relationships with others. A person with schizotypal personality disorder may have extreme discomfort with such relationships, and therefore have less of a capacity for them. Someone with this disorder usually has cognitive or perceptual distortions as well as eccentricities in their everyday behavior.

Individuals with Schizotypal Personality Disorder often have ideas of reference (e.g., they have incorrect interpretations of casual incidents and external events as having a particular and unusual meaning specifically for the person). People with this disorder may be unusually superstitious or preoccupied with paranormal phenomena that are outside the norms of their subculture.

Individuals with Schizotypal Personality Disorder often seek treatment for the associated symptoms of anxiety, depression, or other dysphoric affects rather than for the personality disorder features per se.

A personality disorder is an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates from the norm of the individual’s culture. The pattern is seen in two or more of the following areas: cognition; affect; interpersonal functioning; or impulse control. The enduring pattern is inflexible and pervasive across a broad range of personal and social situations. It typically leads to significant distress or impairment in social, work or other areas of functioning. The pattern is stable and of long duration, and its onset can be traced back to early adulthood or adolescence.

Symptoms of Schizotypal Personality Disorder

Schizotypal personality disorder is characterized by a pattern of social and interpersonal deficits marked by acute discomfort with, and reduced capacity for, close relationships as well as by cognitive or perceptual distortions and eccentricities of behavior, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:
◾Ideas of reference (excluding delusions of reference)
◾Odd beliefs or magical thinking that influences behavior and is inconsistent with subcultural norms (e.g., superstitiousness, belief in clairvoyance, telepathy, or “sixth sense”; in children and adolescents, bizarre fantasies or preoccupations)
◾Unusual perceptual experiences, including bodily illusions
◾Odd thinking and speech (e.g., vague, circumstantial, metaphorical, overelaborate, or stereotyped)
◾Suspiciousness or paranoid ideation
◾Inappropriate or constricted affect
◾Behavior or appearance that is odd, eccentric, or peculiar
◾Lack of close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives
◾Excessive social anxiety that does not diminish with familiarity and tends to be associated with paranoid fears rather than negative judgments about self

Because personality disorders describe long-standing and enduring patterns of behavior, they are most often diagnosed in adulthood. It is uncommon for them to be diagnosed in childhood or adolescence, because a child or teen is under constant development, personality changes and maturation. However, if it is diagnosed in a child or teen, the features must have been present for at least 1 year.

Schizotypal personality disorder appears in about 3.9 percent of the general population according to NESARC research.

Like most personality disorders, schizotypal personality disorder typically will decrease in intensity with age, with many people experiencing few of the most extreme symptoms by the time they are in the 40s or 50s.

How is Schizotypal Personality Disorder Diagnosed?

Personality disorders such as  schizotypal personality disorder are typically diagnosed by a trained mental health professional, such as a psychologist or  psychiatrist. Family physicians and general practitioners are generally not trained or well-equipped to make this type of psychological diagnosis. So while you can initially consult a family physician about this problem, they should refer you to a mental health professional for diagnosis and treatment. There are no laboratory, blood or genetic tests that are used to diagnose schizotypal personality disorder.

Many people with schizotypal personality disorder don’t seek out treatment. People with personality disorders, in general, do not often seek out treatment until the disorder starts to significantly interfere or otherwise impact a person’s life. This most often happens when a person’s coping resources are stretched too thin to deal with stress or other life events.

A diagnosis for schizotypal  personality disorder is made by a mental health professional comparing your symptoms and life history with those listed here. They will make a determination whether your symptoms meet the criteria necessary for a personality disorder diagnosis.

Causes of Schizotypal Personality Disorder

Researchers today don’t know what causes  schizotypal personality disorder.  There are many theories, however, about the possible causes of  schizotypal personality disorder.  Most professionals subscribe to a biopsychosocial model of causation — that is, the causes of  are likely due to biological and genetic factors, social factors (such as how a person interacts in their early development with their family and friends and other children), and psychological factors (the individual’s personality and temperament, shaped by their environment and learned coping skills to deal with stress). This suggests that no single factor is responsible — rather, it is the complex and likely intertwined nature of all three factors that are important. If a person has this personality disorder, research suggests that there is a slightly increased risk for this disorder to be “passed down” to their children.

Treatment of Schizotypal Personality Disorder

Treatment of  schizotypal personality disorder  typically involves long-term psychotherapy with a therapist that has experience in treating this kind of personality disorder. Medications may also be prescribed to help with specific troubling and debilitating symptoms. For more information about treatment, please see schizotypal personality disorder treatment.

Scientifically Reviewed
   Last reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 5 Feb 2014
   Published on PsychCentral.com. All rights reserved.
http://psychcentral.com/disorders/schizotypal-personality-disorder-symptoms/
Mylife101
Mylife101

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:21 pm

The Dr. would says Red is delusional... even if some of this true or a pep talk to self...

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylife101 Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Freckles wrote:I don't accept Dr. Roothie (sp) commenting she had never seen someone so anxious...

Nowhere does JH  demonstrate ANY anxiety!

JH may well have presented as very anxious at the time that he saw social worker, Mrs. Routh. IIRC, JH saw Routh in early March, 2012 and had not yet met with a psychiatrist (Feinstein or Fenton) that could prescribe medication to help him with his anxieties. Keep in mind, the JH that we are watching on these tapes is medicated.

I am really bothered by the fact that JH was talking homicidal ideations with these mental health practitioners and more was not done to make sure that he didn't act on it. The law dictates that mental health practitioners have a "duty to warn" but the rules on that duty are complicated. In most cases the threat must be imminent and specific to trigger that duty. We have not heard from Fenton yet. I'm waiting...
Mylife101
Mylife101

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylife101 Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:46 pm

@ Freckles,

You asked about JH's black contact lenses.  JH purchased black contact lenses prior to the shootings.  JH said that he thought that they would make him look more frightening. He took several "selfies" wearing these lenses. JH ultimately decided not to wear them because they were not prescription and he could not see very well while wearing the contacts.  The contacts were later found in JH's apartment.  JH told Dr. Reid that the "selfie" below is the "most powerful" of the "selfies"
James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial - Page 10 CGrhjtMUYAAtj7Q
Mylife101
Mylife101

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:32 pm

Mylife101 wrote:
Freckles wrote:I don't accept Dr. Roothie (sp) commenting she had never seen someone so anxious...

Nowhere does JH  demonstrate ANY anxiety!

JH may well have presented as very anxious at the time that he saw social worker, Mrs. Routh.  IIRC, JH saw Routh in early March, 2012 and had not yet met with a psychiatrist (Feinstein or Fenton) that could prescribe medication to help him with his anxieties.  Keep in mind, the JH that we are watching on these tapes is medicated.

I am really bothered by the fact that JH was talking homicidal ideations with these mental health practitioners and more was not done to make sure that he didn't act on it.  The law dictates that mental health practitioners have a "duty to warn" but the rules on that duty are complicated.  In most cases the threat must be imminent and specific to trigger that duty.  We have not heard from Fenton yet. I'm waiting...

BBM
Yep! That is not healthy for anyone...
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:24 pm

Mylife101 wrote:Here is the poster that JH posed in front of for one of the pictures that he posted on "Adult Friend Finders".  This is the picture that JH told Dr. Reid that he believed he would seem more desirable if he posed with "Keeley Hazell". Yeah, OK...

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial - Page 10 James-Holmes-AdultFriendFinder-photoshop
James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial - Page 10 Neo25wp2006_-_keeley_hazell_7jpg

Somehow, I doubt that Keeley Hazell is as impressed by JH as he obviously is with her!

Wow! Good find!

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:28 pm

Mylife101 wrote:The Gold Patrol™️ ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 1h1 hour ago  
#theatershooting

Defense moves for mistrial

The Gold Patrol™️ ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 1h1 hour ago  
#theatershooting

Statements being used by pros. and not selectively introduced. Testimony bares on guilt, not insanity

#theatershooting

Judge - this argument of pros calling Dr Reid improperly is untimely. You didn’t object

#theatershooting

Def - the reason for motion is it relates to introduction as whole played yesterday

#theatershooting

judge - I am not hearing this now, you should have raised it when he was introduced.

#theatershooting

Judge says if defense doesn’t like what Dr Reid says you can’t call it unconstitutional. Motion denied as meritless.

#theatershooting

Defense saying something after Judge denies mistrial.

Judge “No, we’re done”

I LOVE THIS JUDGE!!!

Ditto!  That was awesome.  I love how he explains all of his rulings.  Best judge I've seen.  Others could take a lesson or two 50 from him (Judge Stephens comes to mind...just sayin'... Laughing )

Last edited by CuriousPortlander on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed typo)
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:12 pm

Mylife101 wrote:JH's evaluation with Dr. Reid is just about done playing.  We already know that Dr. Reid found JH to be legally sane.  I agree with that assessment.  What do the rest of you think now?

I agree with that assessment, too.

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:15 pm

Schizotypal personality disorder

Schizotypal personality vs. schizophrenia

Schizotypal personality disorder can easily be confused with schizophrenia, a severe mental illness in which people lose contact with reality (psychosis). While people with schizotypal personalities may experience brief psychotic episodes with delusions or hallucinations, they are not as frequent, prolonged or intense as in schizophrenia.

Another key distinction between schizotypal personality disorder and schizophrenia is that people with the personality disorder usually can be made aware of the difference between their distorted ideas and reality. Those with schizophrenia generally can't be swayed away from their delusions.

Read more:  http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/schizotypal-personality-disorder/basics/symptoms/con-20027949

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:44 pm

After listening to the trial today, I thot of this:

Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:54 pm

James Holmes Trial - Day 25 - Part 1

Published on Jun 4, 2015

James Holmes Trial - Day 25 - Part 2

Published on Jun 4, 2015

James Holmes Trial - Day 25 - Part 3

Published on Jun 4, 2015

James Holmes Trial - Day 25 - Part 4

Published on Jun 4, 2015

Source: Croaker Queen - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyFXpkWhSr9IAqD4LKq02fg
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylife101 Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:58 pm

Perfect timing, AD! Thank you! James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial - Page 10 19983

I had to step out a few times today and missed parts of the final Dr. Reid video. Now, I can catch up before I head off to bed for the evening. Sleep
Mylife101
Mylife101

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:24 pm

^^^

Hi Mylife101!

I'm also trying to catch up before I call it a night. Very Happy  

You are always welcome!

guitar
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by One Wonders Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:58 am

Mylife101 wrote:JH's evaluation with Dr. Reid is just about done playing.  We already know that Dr. Reid found JH to be legally sane.  I agree with that assessment.  What do the rest of you think now?

I absolutely concur MyLife. In the beginning I was very skeptical of any head shrinks and the such but I have become very fond of Dr Reid because I do believe with all my being that he was totally unbiased and did the job he was hired to do. And I'd like to add that during x today (he may have done it on direct too I just can't remember) he spoke of JH being a human being and I have to say I really like that about him, not that it's here nor there it's just that I like that. Had he been in JH's life when he was a kid this mass murder may have never happened.
One Wonders
One Wonders

Mood : Neener

Back to top Go down

Post by One Wonders Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:19 am

Freckles wrote:http://kdvr.com/2015/06/04/watch-live-day-25-of-aurora-theater-shooting-trial/

With all the awareness JH expressed in answer to the question, HOW could he even have been drugged? Clear answers. No generalities but answered specifically to each question.  I do wish the interviewer would do something about that "S" sound... hurts my ears.

Hair: Dyed to remember him
Contact lens: To remember him
(What? Was he wearing some Hollywood stule lens to magnify his appearance? To make his eyes appear crazy? More on this, please!)

Dr Reid said today that the antipsychotic drug was at a low dose and the other meds I think he said were normal doses so I think that's why JH can be clear minded so to speak.

As for my bold:
There's the Freckles humor I know and love that makes me laugh. Now to answer your funny question.

He ordered the black contacts cuz he was going to wear them in fitting with his dark death garb (ya know to be like a silhouette, stealthy) but opted not to wear them cuz he couldn't see out of them cuz they were not prescription lens just novelty lens.

Last edited by CuriousPortlander on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote)
One Wonders
One Wonders

Back to top Go down

Post by One Wonders Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:30 am

Freckles wrote:

Jumping in if I may.
In JH's notebook that he mailed to Dr Fenton JH wrote about diagnosing himself and body dysmorphic disorder was just one and he wrote about his own penis and other features of his body he didn't like. Also in his cell he wrote something about there too.
One Wonders
One Wonders

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:19 am

Hi, Freckles,

I greatly respect your opinion, but we're seeing this totally differently, so I'd like to add my thoughts.

My comments in blue.

Freckles wrote:"Capacity to know right or wrong based upon societal standards..."
Yep! That is "morality"...

IMO, this is making a square peg fit the round hole.
An outsider trying to determine what is going on and its value within the mind of another person...
IMO, this is exactly what Dr. Reid is trained to do, and hired to do.  And he's not just a psychiatrist, he's a forensic psychiatrist, trained specifically for how mental issues relate to the law. IMO, there's no one more qualified to make these determinations.

What makes this worse logically, the doctor is relying upon OTHERS for their opinions, other students as well as other professionals.
I see that as a positive, not a negative. I don't see him using others' opinions to form his own opinion. From what I've heard, he only relied on others' direct observations (not opinions) to get background information so he knew what questions he wanted to ask JH to form his own opinion.  To me, he was very thorough (especially compared to someone like Alice LaViolette, who didn't talk to most of the people around Jodi, and made her opinion without this background investigation, and therefore without any corroborating evidence; and we all know how biased her opinion was as a result).  If everyone is saying similar things about JH, that gives him consistent data to work with to help him decide how he wants to probe those areas brought up by others with JH to come up with his own conclusion.  IMO, it's corroborating evidence.

Now the doctor is defining a fixed false belief based upon the opinions of others within the society!!!
This is not the doctor's definition or opinion.  This is a standard definition.  Per a google search:

de·lu·sion
dəˈlo͞oZHən/
noun
noun: delusion; plural noun: delusions

an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder.

Nothing solid but simply a guessing game.
I don't think it's a guessing game at all.  Granted, this field is not an exact science; and it may appear to be a guessing game to us.  But he's trained as a forensic psychiatrist. He's basing his opinion on his extensive experience and training.

Doctor is pretty well convinced JH is delusional... Wow. "Pretty  well convinced"  says nothing.
It says something significant to me.  It's not quantitative.  It's not like JH took a test and he can grade it with a numeric value.  I find Dr. Reid to be extremely forthright to state exactly what his impression is.  "Pretty well convinced" tells me that there's not much else that would sway him otherwise, even though he admits to being open to it.

As for the comment JH believed a box he saw had a certain meaning and it did not is delusional? (Ha ha and Happy Birthday! Can you guess what is in this box? If you are wrong, you might be delusional.... and mentally ill.)
Guessing what's in the box is not a fixed belief, false or otherwise. It's a guess/opinion. It is not the same as what was stated in court.  What Dr. Reid said was that to JH, the box "had some meaning that the box really did not have".  That is the false belief.  He firmly believed something that was not true.  That is the definition of delusion.

Doctor: He is stating IF you believe you are something "grandiose" then you are mentally ill.
That's not quite what he said.  He said if you have a true belief in something grandiose, like "I'm the King of England", with a true belief in that and not like "I feel like the King of England", and you can't be swayed out of that belief, then it's delusional because it's a false, fixed belief.

Oh. No! IF you belief CA might break off and fall into the ocean, then you are delusional!
So I must be crazy as I watch the erosion and the earth movements and conclude EVENTUALLY Ca WILL go into the ocean.
Again, that's not what he said. I think these comments are being taken out of context.  The hypothetical question was:  "If someone who believes that if they don't engage in some conduct, that CA will break off the US and slip into the ocean".  It's not that anyone who believes CA will break off is delusional; it's someone who believes that their direct actions or lack thereof, would make it happen.

I will love to hear his interpretation of Fraggle Rock and the song, "I can do Anything!" It on my Own "
Miss Piggy is delusional and mentally ill...

I personally feel that Dr. Reid has been extremely thorough and is very credible. He reviewed thousands of pages of evidence, talked to as many people as possible to collect as much data as possible, and used that information to form his questions to JH. The fact that he videotaped his interview and played it for the world to see tells me he has nothing to hide, and that anyone can see for themselves how he formed his conclusions. I equate him to Dr. Demarte in Jodi Arias; thorough; looked at as much data as possible, and formed her questions based on all the data she had collected, and then formulated her opinion after talking with Jodi and taking all the data into account.  In both her case and Dr. Reid, I felt they did an excellent job of preparing for their interviews by doing their homework first.

JMO
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:31 am

Aurora Shooting Trial: 10 Key Findings From 22 Hours of James
Holmes Psychiatric Evaluation Interviews

Jun 5, 2015, 1:04 AM ET  By CAROL McKINLEY

...Lots of new information has emerged in the 22 hours of video interviews. Here are 10 notable findings:

1. Diagnosis: Holmes Isn’t Schizophrenic, Doctor Says

Reid's professional opinion is that Holmes is not schizophrenic, nor did he have a psychotic breakdown the night of the shooting, as the defense contends. Instead, Reid diagnosed the shooter with a mental illness called "schizotypal personality disorder," which is characterized by his difficulty relating to people and constricted behavior. Reid says the shooter knew right from wrong when he committed the murders.

2. The Shooting Didn’t Lift Holmes Out of Depression

Holmes himself says he killed to increase his own self-worth, which he hoped would lift him out of depression. He told Reid that this did not work. He was still depressed after the shooting, but he felt his own self-worth increased a point for every person he killed. Holmes calls this his theory of "Human Capital." Could this be considered a psychotic delusion, as the defense contends?

"It is an abstract thought,” explained Reid. Holmes could not say that he believed his own theory was real; therefore, Reid says it was a false belief and "though there were aspects of delusion in them, they did not rise to the level of outright delusion." The defense has a psychiatrist who will testify later that Holmes did indeed suffer from a psychotic delusion.

Read more:  http://abcnews.go.com/US/aurora-shooting-trial-10-key-findings-22-hours/story?id=31540740
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:40 am

Watch live: http://kdvr.com/2015/06/05/watch-live-day-26-of-aurora-theater-shooting-trial/

CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:04 am

Brandon Johansson ‏@SentinelBrandon  · 7m  
Judge in #theatershooting trial scolds @GeorgeBrauchler for tweet in court. DA should pay attention in capital case, defense said. (1-2)

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman  · 9m  
Brauchler apologizes to defense attorney Dan King about tweeting. Says he didn't intend to offend him. #theatershooting

7NEWS Denver Channel ‏@DenverChannel  · 11m
DA Brauchler's Tweet: "I agree on the video, I hope the jury does too" #theatershooting

https://twitter.com/hashtag/theatershooting?src=hash
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:23 am

Stan Bush ‏@StanBushTV  · 3m
Dr. William Reid says he's billed more than $350,000 in work on Holmes case. #theatershooting

7NEWS Denver Channel ‏@DenverChannel  · 3m  
Dr. William Reid says his billing rate is $500 an hour -- half that if he is reviewing video #theatershooting

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial - Page 10 CGvvgdwUYAAqS2W

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman  · 8m
Dr. Reid has so far billed $350,000 to $400,000 in the #theatershooting.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:44 am

Hsing Tseng ‏@HsingTseng · 7m
Dr. Reid: JH in isolation found naked on floor, wouldn't come out on own, dragged out by deputies, feces in his padded cell #theatershooting

The Gold Patrol™ ‏@thegoldpatrol · 8m
#theatershooting

JH wouldn’t come out of cell. Had to be taken out on a sheet. Reid points out he saw no mistreatment by staff.

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ · 8m
JH had feces in his cell and had to be dragged out on a blanket #theatershooting #theatertrial

The Gold Patrol™ ‏@thegoldpatrol · 7m
#theatershooting

Defense: You saw feces in the cell?

Reid: Yes

The Gold Patrol™ ‏@thegoldpatrol · 8m
#theatershooting

Padded room - rubber like walls, no bed, drain in center to use bathroom. Suicide gown worn.

The Gold Patrol™ ‏@thegoldpatrol · 10m
#theatershooting

Reid points out JH doesn’t always want to leave his cell but can during designated time.

The Gold Patrol™ ‏@thegoldpatrol  · 11m
#theatershooting

Reid went to theater, didn’t go in. JH is not in gen. population. Def. says he’s in isolation and alone.

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:47 am

The Gold Patrol™ ‏@thegoldpatrol · 2m
#theatershooting

Reid is saying that JH mental state seemed worse in Nov. than it did just after shootings.

The Gold Patrol™ ‏@thegoldpatrol · 6m
#theatershooting

Reid: Didn’t see all jailhouse videos. Saw first few days after and asked jail to pick random days.

The Gold Patrol™ ‏@thegoldpatrol · 11m
#theatershooting

JH was smearing feces on himself. Taking jibberish. Reid couldn’t hear JH talking - no audio on CCTV

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:14 pm

Hsing Tseng ‏@HsingTseng · 18m
Earlier: DA Brauchler caught Tweeting during cross-exam Thurs. Reprimanded by defense & judge: pay attn in capital cases #theatershooting

Hsing Tseng ‏@HsingTseng  · 19m  
Reid defends the use of video examinations as accurate testimony, despite behavior being different if on camera. #theatershooting

Channel 2 KWGN ‏@channel2kwgn  · 23m  
Dr. Reid saw Holmes 2 yrs after #theatershooting. Wishes he could have seen him sooner, but counsels had to be appointed first.

Hsing Tseng ‏@HsingTseng  · 25m  
Defense asks Reid if he saw video of Holmes trying to start fire in his cell with a water bottle and sunlight. #theatershooting

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ · 27m
JH tried to start a fire with a water bottle and sunlight...that's new #theatershooting #theatertrial

Hsing Tseng ‏@HsingTseng · 28m
Reid didn't see all videos of JH from jail -- asked to see random videos. #theatershooting

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:17 pm

7NEWS Denver Channel ‏@DenverChannel  · 4m
Dr. Reid: Mr. Holmes is not clinically defined at all as a psychopath LIVE: http://bit.ly/1DTwGLZ  #theatershooting

James Holmes: Colorado Theater Murder Trial - Page 10 CGv7-MyUYAAjhPW

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:23 pm

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman · 4m
Defense attorney prompts Reid to say there is no cure for several disorders, including schizotypal personality disorder. #theatershooting

Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:22 pm

Hi, One, CP, MyLife, AD... and anyone else that is lurking....
I probably am one of the top contenders for being a doubter.
Sadly, I don't work at it but it just flows naturally....
awe
I am a natural "devil's advocate" ....

I am disappointed in the prosecution, their witnesses, the evidence (lack of forensics), etc.. I saw MUCH BETTER evidence in the CA trial where every piece of evidence was documented thru all the various stages. This, IMO, is sloppy; the State appears to be using a rapid fire approach and fails to meet the higher standards I would expect of them. After all, unlike the CA case, the State has had more resources available... even ALL the assorted emergency vehicles/agencies that responded... and it is just empty presentation, IMO, except for the emotional impac5t statements carefully inserted for juror/viewer observation.

Dr. Reid: He sends ambiguous messages to the jury re his interviewing of JH.
On the one hand, the issue of sanity' on the other, the issue of mental health.
And is it good enough for a jury to determine a high level of guilt and punishment based upon a doctor being "pretty well convinced".... and that is comprised, to a degree, upon the SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS of casual observers?  Nothing definitive from his reports. And the two examples he gave of being delusional? I laughed at those examples and did not need to think to deeply to disagree with his comments.

(Do we not encourage children, young adults, and even us old ones to CONTINUE TO BELIEVE WE ARE CAPABLE OF ACHIEVING something so "grandiose" this doctor might label it... delusional? Recently, a news' story re a young wife who was told to remove her "brain dead" husband from life support .... and she turned the matter over to God.  That is delusional, right? Prove there is a God and that he cares, right? Well, hubby is now up and walking around with no memory of what happened... )

One person's delusion is another person's reality... Don't ever doubt the human potential in any direction....

Last edited by Freckles on Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:34 pm

RE the isolation JH was kept in:
1.Were there proper toilet facilities available?
If not, can't criticize for what JH may/not have done;

2. Did JH have an "unexpected" bowel evacuation? One of those "urgent" times?
Did JH ask guards for an "extra" trip to toilet?
If he asked, was he denied?  

3. Many persons being held against their desire in prison, jail, homes, schools, jobs, etc.,
feel a need to claim their own independence against their "authority figures" and as such will refuse to comply with simple requests. When everything is taken away, they are left ONLY with their own selves... and they WILL battle to keep that intact. In particular, I would direct attention to the prisoners at Gitmo... IMO, this is normal for the environment he was being held in and against his will...

JH  is not a dumb person but he is  a person capable of seeing and understanding the logic/emotions of  what  others were attempting to elicit from him. He also is capable of standing outside his emotions while feeling the impact emotionally of what the others  are attempting to do to OWN him.  He won't be owned...
Freckles
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next