Reality Chatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager

+4
Ann - Tx
ishi
Gizmo711
Nan11
8 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager - Page 4 Empty Re: Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager

Post by Nan11 Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:40 pm

The judge says it's a note from the jury.

He is giving everyone a minute to get in and says he will be right back.
Nan11
Nan11

Mood : Whistling

Back to top Go down

Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager - Page 4 Empty Re: Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager

Post by Nan11 Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:42 pm

He is going to give them the Allen charge.
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:43 pm

Stephanie Brown‏@NewsAndNom·2 mins
Healey: "we reached a verdict on four of the five counts" no unanimous on murder count #DunnTrial #MichaelDunn

https://twitter.com/NewsAndNom
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:30 pm

CNN is worth listening to right now.
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Nan, the following was on our local (Houston) news this evening:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/national_world&id=9433658
KTRK - Houston, TX 2/15/14

Florida man guilty of lesser counts in loud music shooting

Snipped:

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- A Florida man has been convicted of three counts of attempted second-degree murder after an argument over loud music outside of a convenience store.

A mistrial was declared Saturday on a first-degree murder charge after the jury couldn't agree on it.
Ann - Tx
Ann - Tx

Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:36 pm

Yep. Thanks, Ann. I've been down in chat. If no-one posts any links, I'll add some later.
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:13 pm

VERDICT!

Thanks to the TawniDilly for uploading these videos!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpOj7lvjP9k&list=UU8iigZOg6PyK8CJQTvWO_ag&feature=share&index=3

Jordan's parents press conference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmXEfy3kniM&feature=share&list=UU8iigZOg6PyK8CJQTvWO_ag&index=1

Angela Corey's press conference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEH57Z6OVsk&list=UU8iigZOg6PyK8CJQTvWO_ag&feature=share&index=2

Strolla's press conference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdDWrxbBvls&feature=share&list=UU8iigZOg6PyK8CJQTvWO_ag
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:42 pm

The Florida-Times Union | More Jacksonville reaction to verdict in Michael Dunn trial[/b]

By Gary Mills (Times-Union's Blog) | February 15, 2014 - 8:24pm

http://members.jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/403169/gary-mills/2014-02-15/more-jacksonville-reaction-verdict-michael-dunn-trial

The Florida Times Union | Jacksonville reacts to Michael Dunn trial verdict

Submitted by Times-Union on February 15, 2014 - 7:45pm

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/403169/times-union/2014-02-15/jacksonville-reacts-michael-dunn-trial-verdict

Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager - Page 4 1zduf7o My favorite, from the first link.
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Sometimes the links from this site don't stay put, but it is working now and is a very good write-up.
-----

News4Jax | Dunn guilty of 3 counts of attempted murder; mistrial on murder charge
Decision comes on 4th day of deliberations; trial lasted 2 weeks

Author: Vic Micolucci, Mobile journalist, general assignment reporter, vic@wjxt.com
Hailey Winslow, General assignment reporter, hwinslow@wjxt.com
News4Jax.com Staff, webteam@wjxt.com
Published On: Feb 15 2014 03:07:58 AM EST Updated  33 m

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Michael Dunn was found guilty Saturday evening of three counts of attempted second-degree murder and one count of firing into an occupied vehicle. But with the jury deadlocked on the first-degree murder charge, that count ended in a mistrial.

The jury reached the verdict after 30 hours of deliberations over four days after the trial of Dunn, who shot and killed 17-year-old Jordan Davis while shooting into an SUV carrying four teenagers outside a Gate convenience store in a dispute over loud music.

Read more:  http://www.news4jax.com/news/michael-dunn-jury-to-begin-day-4-of-deliberations/-/475880/24499490/-/va41j/-/index.html
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:49 pm

Gizmo711 wrote:I'm not sure if it's the water or what have you, but Florida is the pits when it comes to jury's.  I have no faith in them what so ever.  There seems to be NO criminal justice in Florida.  It's like the old west.

If something doesn't change soon the government needs to step in and make some big changes.
I had myself worked into an absolute panic, but I'm relieved right now.

It's not that bad--guilty of 3 counts of attempted 2nd degree murder, with the firearm enhancement for each count; plus guilty of discharging a firearm.

They hung on the charge of Jordan's murder, but being hung is so much better than letting him walk.

The prosecutors have a second chance.  I'll take that, and be happy with it.

I personally would have liked to have seen them find him guilty of murder one on the attempted charges; and, of course, on Jordan's murder; but I'll settle easily for this.

I just keep thinking it's so much better than seeing him walk.  I'm so, so pleased with this jury.  Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager - Page 4 73979Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager - Page 4 73979Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager - Page 4 73979
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo711 Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:08 am

Nan11 wrote:
Gizmo711 wrote:I'm not sure if it's the water or what have you, but Florida is the pits when it comes to jury's.  I have no faith in them what so ever.  There seems to be NO criminal justice in Florida.  It's like the old west.

If something doesn't change soon the government needs to step in and make some big changes.

It's not that bad--guilty of 3 counts of attempted 2nd degree murder, with the firearm enhancement for each count; plus guilty of discharging a firearm.

They hung on the charge of Jordan's murder, but being hung is so much better than letting him walk.

I personally would have liked to have seen them find him guilty of murder one on the attempted charges; and, of course, on Jordan's murder; but I'll settle easily for this.

I just keep thinking it's so much better than seeing him walk.  I'm so, so pleased with this jury.  Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager - Page 4 73979Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager - Page 4 73979Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager - Page 4 73979

Exactly. Although the parents don't get justice for their son at least the SOB will stay in jail for life.

The judge is not going to go easy on him because he knows that the state will bring another trial for the murder charge and that will cost the tax payers a lot of money. Therefore we can be sure that he will get life, this way there will be no reason to retry him.

Although the media said that he remained with no expression when the verdict was read, I saw hate in his look, I saw a man saying "how dare you find me guilty". I hope the bastard never sees daylight again.

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

Post by One Wonders Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:41 pm

Gizmo711 wrote:
Nan11 wrote:

Exactly.  Although the parents don't get justice for their son at least the SOB will stay in jail for life.

The judge is not going to go easy on him because he knows that the state will bring another trial for the murder charge and that will cost the tax payers a lot of money.  Therefore we can be sure that he will get life, this way there will be no reason to retry him.

Although the media said that he remained with no expression when the verdict was read, I saw hate in his look, I saw a man saying "how dare you find me guilty".  I hope the bastard never sees daylight again.
I saw that look too. He was just to the top of overflowing with boiling anger IMO. There are just time's you cannot lie and get away with it. Now, he can cool his heels in a cell and think about what he did for the rest of his despicable life, and hopefully sometime soon we will see him convicted on murder 1.
One Wonders
One Wonders

Mood : Neener

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo711 Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:11 am

I understand that it was 2 or 3 juror's looking for "SELF DEFENSE" as a verdict. This just goes to show how prejudice Florida is. It will never change, Florida is still living in the slavery days. I think that these poor white, uneducated people will never become civilized because they have to have someone to look down on. They hate because it makes them feel superior, a feeling that they just can't get any other way.

Florida will never find a jury of 12 people that will be able to "all" put hate aside. Therefore justice in cases like this will never happen.

I'm just glad that this bastard will never see the outside again. That he will have to live and breath in a place where he wont be able to pull a gun just because he hates someone. A place where he will actually live in fear.

It couldn't happen to a better person than Michael Dunn. I just wish Zimmerman would have gotten such an outcome.

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:24 am

ABC News | Juror in 'Loud Music' Trial Wanted Murder Conviction
Feb. 19, 2014 | By SENI TIENABESO | via Nightline

ABC Entertainment News|ABC Business News

One of the jurors in the controversial Florida "loud music" trial is speaking out, telling ABC News in an exclusive interview that the issue of self-defense forced the jury into a deadlock.

Juror #4 – who asked to be identified simply as "Valerie" – said two and then three jurors ultimately believed Michael Dunn was justified in the 2012 shooting death of Jordan Davis. Valerie, who wanted a conviction, says the group knew within the first hour that they would be unable to reach a unanimous decision.

Read more:  http://abcnews.go.com/US/juror-loud-music-trial-wanted-murder-conviction/story?id=22571068

Last edited by Nan11 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:32 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Corrected video)
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:32 am

CNN | Florida 'loud music' trial juror: 'I believed he was guilty'
By Ed Payne, CNN | updated 7:14 AM EST, Wed February 19, 2014

(CNN) -- One of the jurors who convicted Michael Dunn of attempted murder after he fired into an SUV during a fatal argument over loud music believes he should have been convicted of first-degree murder.

"I believed he was guilty," Valerie said in an interview with ABC's "Nightline" early Wednesday. Also known as juror No. 4, she asked that her full name not be given in order to protect her identity.

Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/19/justice/florida-loud-music-case/
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo711 Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:51 pm

I'll say "AMEN" to that. He WILL have to answer to a much higher court one day as will George Zimmerman.

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:34 pm

Father of Slain Teen Jordan Davis Wants to Visit Michael Dunn in Prison

Feb. 19, 2014

By LAUREN EFFRON via NIGHTLINE

The father of Jordan Davis, the Florida teen who was fatally shot by Michael Dunn over loud music, said he wants to visit his son's killer in prison and "make him understand" what he did was wrong.

"I would like Michael Dunn to put me on his visitor's list in prison. I would like to go see him and sit across the table," Ron Davis told ABC's Byron Pitts in an interview for "Nightline." "One thing that I know that we would talk about is, 'I have to try to make you understand what you've taken away from our family, some way, whether it be words or what, I have to make you understand.'"

~Snipped~

Jordan's parents said they plan to fight for Dunn to be retried for their son's killing.

"We will go back to court," said Jordan's mother, Lucia McBath. "We're definitely going back to fight for Jordan."

"We have to make him say that, 'you killed Jordan and it was unlawful,'" Davis added. "Because otherwise if you leave it, then you killed Jordan and it was OK that you killed Jordan."

Read more:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/father-slain-teen-jordan-davis-visit-michael-dunn/story?id=22588955
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo711 Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:51 am

I don't think that a person such as Michael Dunn will ever get it. His type believe they are justified. Even if he dies in prison, he will never ask for forgiveness. He looks like an evil bastard.

He should be retried on the murder charge. He will be found "guilty" and we can be sure that he will, in fact, spend the rest of his life in prison (where he belongs). These attempted murder charges may eventually be over turned here in Florida, so I think it would be a good idea to retry him.

His attorney was trying to use psyche when saying that it didn't make sense to retry him seeing as he will be spending the rest of his life in prison anyway. Then behind closed doors he is preparing an appeal on the charges that he was convicted of. Angela Corey is not the brightest of state attorney's and he figured he could get her not to pursue the murder charge. Thus making it easier for him to get an appeal on the current verdicts. With odds such as 9 to 3 in favor of Guilty, it would make sense to retry him to ensure that the bastard stays in jail for the rest of his natural life.

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:50 am

Gizmo711 wrote:I don't think that a person such as Michael Dunn will ever get it.  His type believe they are justified.  Even if he dies in prison, he will never ask for forgiveness.  He looks like an evil bastard.

He should be retried on the murder charge.  He will be found "guilty" and we can be sure that he will, in fact, spend the rest of his life in prison (where he belongs).  These attempted murder charges may eventually be over turned here in Florida, so I think it would be a good idea to retry him.[/b]

His attorney was trying to use psyche when saying that it didn't make sense to retry him seeing as he will be spending the rest of his life in prison anyway. Then behind closed doors he is preparing an appeal on the charges that he was convicted of. Angela Corey is not the brightest of state attorney's and he figured he could get her not to pursue the murder charge.  Thus making it easier for him to get an appeal on the current verdicts.  With odds such as 9 to 3 in favor of Guilty, it would make sense to retry him to ensure that the bastard stays in jail for the rest of his natural life.
BBM - Yep, that's what I worry about, too.

Your outlook is more positive overall than mine, but I can draw hope from this.
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:53 am

This is an interview that Anderson Cooper did with Jordan's aunt. There really isn't anything new here; it is just sad and moving.

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2014/02/19/ac360-exclusive-jordan-davis-aunt-jury-did-the-best-they-could/
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:57 am

This is a 16:43 minute video from The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell.  He has Jordan's parents comment on Dunn's statement of being both the victor and victim.

https://youtu.be/TIUMWt7rMik
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:32 pm

This is an interesting interview with Angela Corey.  I typed the following quote from it.  IDK folks, but if she truly believes that the jury did the best they could considering Florida's "affirmative defense of justifiable use of deadly force" laws, does she really believe anything will change with a new trial for the murderer of Jordan?  

Quote at about 3:10 minutes in:
Angela Corey:  This is our system.  This jury got a lot of time to deliberate, and we believe they did the best they could considering Florida’s affirmative defense of justifiable use of deadly force.

Later in the interview, she does go on to say that she still intends to retry the case.  I think the one statement contradicts the other statement, but maybe it's just me.  Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager - Page 4 Dont-no-smiley

Oh, and she says it all has nothing to do with race.  Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager - Page 4 Wink  

http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2014/02/20/cnn-new-day-chris-cuomo-speaks-exclusively-with-florida-special-prosecutor-angela-corey-2/
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:57 pm

https://youtu.be/xSDRmc3OOcI
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:10 pm

↓↓↓ This is the response from Jordan's parents to that. ↑↑↑

https://youtu.be/W2l2yByM8Og
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo711 Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:38 am

Nan11 wrote:This is an interesting interview with Angela Corey.  I typed the following quote from it.  IDK folks, but if she truly believes that the jury did the best they could considering Florida's "affirmative defense of justifiable use of deadly force" laws, does she really believe anything will change with a new trial for the murderer of Jordan?  

Quote at about 3:10 minutes in:
Angela Corey:  This is our system.  This jury got a lot of time to deliberate, and we believe they did the best they could considering Florida’s affirmative defense of justifiable use of deadly force.

Later in the interview, she does go on to say that she still intends to retry the case.  I think the one statement contradicts the other statement, but maybe it's just me.  Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager - Page 4 Dont-no-smiley

Oh, and she says it all has nothing to do with race.  Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager - Page 4 Wink  

http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2014/02/20/cnn-new-day-chris-cuomo-speaks-exclusively-with-florida-special-prosecutor-angela-corey-2/

I agree. The problem that I have with retrying the case is that it is very likely, here in Florida, that another jury wont be deadlocked as it was with this jury and this creep will be found justified as was Zimmerman. If that were to happen then I'm almost positive that the lesser charges, that he was convicted of, will be overturned. Angela Corey is not the brightest state attorney, she lost the Zimmerman case and she can make this case worse then what it is right now. At least now, the charges will hold up and I'm pretty sure his appeals will be denied.

If anything, maybe the state should hold the "retry" until a later time in the event he wins an appeal on these current convictions.

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:09 am

Gizmo711 wrote:I agree.  The problem that I have with retrying the case is that it is very likely, here in Florida, that another jury wont  be deadlocked as it was with this jury and this creep will be found justified as was Zimmerman. If that were to happen then I'm almost positive that the lesser charges, that he was convicted of, will be overturned.  Angela Corey is not the brightest state attorney, she lost the Zimmerman case and she can make this case worse then what it is right now. At least now, the charges will hold up and I'm pretty sure his appeals will be denied.

If anything, maybe the state should hold the "retry" until a later time in the event he wins an appeal on these current convictions.
Oh, gosh, Giz--this just clicked in for me; and I see your point.

It puts a whole new spin on why they might offer him a re-trial, and why he might jump at the chance.  Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager - Page 4 25p7f3o
Nan11
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:50 am

IF Angela Corey were to admit this WAS racially motivated, well, that would be against FEDERAL LAW.... and we just might see the FBI become an active participant in Florida law. (I am thinking the 1960s when the US attorney general ordered troops into the southern states when the states were ordered to desegregate the public schools.)

I am sure no state wants to admit they have a racial problem that is out of their control. Currently, after Zimmerman case underscored the problem with State Your Ground in Florida, that state has had a number of murders that appear, on the face of it, to be racial. The Dunn case is the last to be tried. (BTW, shooting someone simply because you do not like their music does not appear to fit in with the SYG terms....)
Freckles
Freckles

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo711 Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:15 am

I was at the gas pump last night with my granddaughter and grandson. A car with white teenagers were next to us, blasting rap music, with the curses and all. I couldn't help but feel that Dunn would never have shot at them. This case, as was the Zimmerman case was most definitely racially motivated.

There is NO way a frightened person would follow, whom they think to be a suspect, behind dark buildings, just like there is no way a sole man would start an argument with a car full of teenagers. The reason they did not fear was because they were both holding a loaded gun and they automatically thought that the one/ones they were going after were criminals because they were black.

I don't think the south is anywhere close or in the near future of becoming anything but remaining with their prejudices. Florida is at least 50 years behind the times and they are set in their sick ways. However, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever, that they all will have to pay to someone one day for all the hate and injustices that they have provoked thru the centuries. All the innocent lives that were needlessly taken from their loved ones. All the hurt that was brought on by such hate will come back to haunt them one day.

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo711 Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:49 am

Freckles wrote:IF Angela Corey were to admit this WAS racially motivated, well, that would be against FEDERAL  LAW.... and we just might see the FBI become an active participant in Florida law. (I am thinking the 1960s when the US attorney general ordered troops into the southern states when the states were ordered to desegregate the public schools.)

I am sure no state wants to admit they have a racial problem that is out of their control. Currently, after Zimmerman case underscored the problem with State Your Ground in Florida, that state has had a number of murders that appear, on the face of it, to be racial. The Dunn case is the last to be tried. (BTW, shooting someone simply because you do not like their music does not appear to fit in with the SYG terms....)

I totally agree. I have been living in Florida for 20 years now and the ignorance here is not to be believed. The hate is all around you, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

It's sad for all concerned.

Gizmo711

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:40 pm

Judge to hear Dunn's motion to delay sentencing hearing

Published: 2/27 4:38 pm
Updated: 2/27 4:47 pm

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A judge plans to listen to several defense motions ahead of Michael Dunn's scheduled sentencing hearing.

The State Attorneys Office tells Action News the motions hearing is set for March 10.

Attorney Cory Strolla asked the court for a continuance Tuesday, citing a lack of time to prepare for sentencing while awaiting a possible new trial on first-degree murder charges. A jury deadlocked on that charge while convicting him on three counts of attempted murder and firing deadly missiles after the shooting of 17-year-old Jordan Davis.

Thursday, the court granted Strolla's request for the state to make a final payment to a private investigator.

There will be a status hearing in the case has also been set for March 3.

The sentencing hearing remains set for March 24.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content/topstories/story/Judge-to-hear-Dunns-motion-to-delay-sentencing/9oeYtW2mNUeWmWNl3B5JBg.cspx
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:45 pm

Michael Dunn has sentencing delayed, retrial set for May

By Crimesider Staff / CBS/AP / March 14, 2014, 11:41 AM

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A judge on Friday granted Michael Dunn, the Florida man convicted of attempted murder in a confrontation over loud music, a sentencing delay and scheduled Dunn's retrial for May 5, reports CBS affiliate WTEV.

Dunn, 47, was scheduled to be sentenced on March 24 but his attorneys sought to delay the sentencing until after he's tried again on a first-degree murder charge.

~Snipped~

He is being retried on the murder count.

Dunn already faces a maximum of 60 years in prison for the attempted murder charges on which he already has been convicted.

Defense attorney Cory Strolla argued during a hearing Monday for Dunn's sentencing to be delayed on the grounds that statements Dunn makes at a sentencing hearing could be used against him in his second trial.

Read more:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/michael-dunn-has-sentencing-delayed-retrial-set-for-may/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:57 pm

Michael Dunn retrial set for May 5, sentencing delayed

Posted by Andrew Branca   Friday, March 14, 2014 at 12:40pm

Dunn receives delayed sentencing, a new murder trial, and new legal counsel

~Snipped~

Florida State Prosecutor Angela Corey, who led the first Dunn prosecution, had consistently stated that she intends to re-try Dunn on the hung murder charge–and now a date for that re-trial has been set.  And it’s not far off:  May 5.

Simultaneously with setting the re-trial date, the judge also ruled that Dunn’s sentencing his existing convictions will be deferred until after a verdict has been reached on the murder charge.  Given the complexity of sentencing generally–typically a pre-sentencing report taking several weeks to prepare is required–and the probable likelihood that a verdict on the murder charges will be in hand in less than 8 weeks, it makes sense to simply have one sentencing process after the second trial.

In addition, there is some uncertainty under Florida law whether convictions involving the state’s “10-20-Life” statute must be run consecutively or whether they may be run concurrently.  The difference for Dunn on even just his existing convictions would be between a sentence of as long as 75 years if run consecutively (effectively a life sentence) and as “few” as 20 years if run concurrently.  

A delay in sentencing allows for the possibility that the Florida state Supreme Court may address the issue by the time Dunn is sentenced.

Read more:

http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/03/michael-dunn-retrial-set-for-may-5-sentencing-delayed/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:01 pm

Retrial date set for Dunn, sentencing delayed

Published On:  2 h   Updated  1 h

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

VIDEO: In a Duval County courtroom Judge Russell Healy ruled the retrial for Michael Dunn to be set for May 5th. He also delayed sentencing for other charges.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Retrial-date-set-for-Dunn-sentencing-delayed/24977068
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:29 pm

Bit weaker story than that of the links AD posted:

Retrial set for man, 47, who shot dead unarmed black 17-year-old in a row over loud 'rap cr*p' music he was playing

Michael Dunn's new trial set for May 5

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2581510/Retrial-set-man-47-shot-dead-unarmed-black-17-year-old-row-loud-rap-cr-p-music-playing.html#ixzz2wBQ7mbPq

Freckles
Freckles

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Tue May 06, 2014 10:04 am

Judge delays Michael Dunn's murder retrial

Author: News4Jax.com Staff, webteam@wjxt.com
Published On: Apr 23 2014 10:34:10 AM EDT

Snipped:
-----
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -The retrial for Michael Dunn in the shooting death of 17-year-old Jordan Davis has been delayed.

At a hearing Wednesday, the judge set a pretrial date for the week of June 9, when a trial date will be set, WJXT reports.

The retrial on the murder charge had been scheduled to begin May 5.
-----
(BBM)

Read more:  http://www.clickorlando.com/news/judge-delays-michael-dunns-murder-retrial/25617942
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:09 am

Prosecutors want to put Michael Dunn in prison before murder retrial

Posted: May 26, 2014 - 9:15pm  |  Updated: May 26, 2014 - 9:23pm

Snipped:
-----
The office of State Attorney Angela Corey wants to send Michael Dunn to prison on three attempted-murder convictions before he is retried for the shooting of 17-year-old Jordan Davis.
-----

Read more:  http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2014-05-26/story/prosecutors-want-put-michael-dunn-prison-murder-retrial
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:27 pm

Judge denies motion to sentence Michael Dunn

Posted: Jun 09, 2014 11:07 AM CDT
Updated: Jun 09, 2014 11:33 AM CDT

(POOL/CNN) - A Florida judge has denied a motion to sentence Michael Dunn before his retrial on first degree murder charges.

In February, Dunn was convicted of attempted murder.

Read more:  

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/25729139/judge-denies-motion-to-sentence-michael-dunn
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:51 am

Retrial Date Set for Michael Dunn in Loud Music Shooting

Dunn is facing a first-degree murder charge for the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Jordan Davis in November 2012

By Associated Press
Posted: 06/09/2014 01:13 PM EDT

Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager - Page 4 060914-National-Retrial-Date-Set-for-Michael-Dunn-In-Loud-Music-Shooting

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — A Florida man accused of killing a teenager during an argument over loud music will face a second murder trial after jurors at his original trial deadlocked on the charge, a judge decided Monday.

Michael Dunn, 47, will be tried again starting Sept. 22 in the shooting death of Jordan Davis, 17, in an encounter at a Jacksonville gas station, Circuit Judge Russell Healey said.

In February, a jury deadlocked on a first-degree murder charge but convicted Dunn of three counts of attempted murder for shooting at Davis' companions.

Read more:

http://www.bet.com/news/national/2014/06/09/retrial-date-set-for-michael-dunn-in-loud-music-shooting.html
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:58 am

Judge sets September date for Michael Dunn retrial

Sentencing on February convictions on hold pending murder case

Author: Vic Micolucci, General assignment reporter, vic@wjxt.com

Published On: Jun 09 2014 10:17:31 AM EDT | Updated On: Jun 09 2014 02:19:59 PM EDT

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Video: Retrial date set for Michael Dunn (Newscast)

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -  The man accused of killing 17-year-old Jordan Davis during an argument over loud music will face a second murder trial in September, a judge ruled on Monday.

Dunn was convicted in February of attempting to shoot and kill three teenagers in a vehicle with Davis but the jury was unable to reach a conviction on the first-degree murder charge in Davis' death.

Judge Russell Healey said jury selection for the retrial would begin Sept. 22 and continue through the following week until a jury of 12 plus four alternates is seated.

Sentencing on the existing convictions on three counts of attempted murder and one count of shooting into an occupied vehicle was postponed until after the murder retrial.  Healey granted the delay at the request of the defense, which said if Dunn took the stand at his sentencing hearing to address the court or Davis' family, what he says could be used against him in his murder trial.

Read more:

http://www.news4jax.com/news/judge-sets-september-date-for-michael-dunn-retrial/26398422
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:04 pm

Michael Dunn's jail letters released

Letters were written to daughter before trial
Author: Marques White, Weekend morning anchor, reporter, mwhite@wjxt.com
Published On: Aug 06 2014 11:15:19 AM EDT   Updated On: Jul 23 2014 06:21:14 PM EDT

Snipped:
-----
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The State Attorney's Office has released two letters Michael Dunn wrote to his daughter last year, before his trial that ended with convictions on three counts of attempted second-degree murder and shooting into a vehicle, and a hung jury on the murder charge in the shooting death of Jordan Davis.

The letters show Dunn was actively working to assist in his own defense. He told his daughter Rebecca that during his interrogation by Jacksonville police, one of the detectives said something along the lines of, "Don't you know asking someone to turn the music down around here can get you killed?"
-----

Read more:  http://www.news4jax.com/news/michael-dunns-jail-letters-released/27109096
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:04 pm

No change of venue decision in Michael Dunn retrial

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A decision on whether a high-profile retrial will remain in Duval County was not reached Monday morning.

...This time around, Dunn has retained a new attorney who last week filed seven new motions, including a request for a change of venue.

In her motion, Waffa Hanania argued there has been a "tremendous" amount of pretrial publicity that has been "extremely" prejudicial to Dunn.

Hanania cited more than 50 news reports regarding the Brevard County man since his initial arrest and more than 20 additional news reports since the outcome of his first trial.

Monday's pretrial hearing was already scheduled before the new motions were filed by the defense.

Read more:  http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/crime/jordan-davis/2014/09/08/jacksonville-michael-dunn-hearing-delayed-jordan-davis/15296085/
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:15 pm

Judge rules against moving Dunn retrial

6:24 p.m. EDT September 11, 2014

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The high-profile retrial of the man accused of killing a 17-year-old when he opened fire on a SUV filled with teens will stay in Jacksonville for now, a judge ruled Thursday.

The defense for 47-year-old Michael Dunn had filed a list of new motions this week, including a motion seeking to relocate the trial due to intense local media coverage surrounding the trial. But after hearing oral arguments Thursday morning, Duval County Judge Russell Healey decided Dunn's retrial will remain in Jacksonville.

The judge did, however, agree to keep jurors sequestered during Dunn's retrial as they were during the original trial.

Read more:  http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/crime/jordan-davis/2014/09/11/jacksonville-michael-dunn-jordan-davis-shooting/15433315/
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:15 pm

Final pretrial hearing set for Michael Dunn

10:43 a.m. EDT September 15, 2014

Michael Dunn, 47, will appear in Duval County Court on Thursday at 10:30 a.m., which is just four days ahead of the scheduled start of jury selection for his retrial.

Attorneys said Monday during a brief scheduling hearing that they will need about an hour to go over issues concerning testimony by a medical examiner and photographic evidence.

Read more:  http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/crime/jordan-davis/2014/09/15/jacksonville-michael-dunn-jordan-davis-shooting-loud-music/15660779/
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:43 pm

Final Michael Dunn pretrial becomes battle over competing forensic experts

Posted: September 18, 2014 - 11:32pm

Thursday during the final pretrial hearing before Dunn’s first-degree murder trial begins Monday, Circuit Judge Russell Healey denied a motion to limit the testimony of Stacey Simons, former associate medical examiner.

...Beyond disputing that Davis was standing up, prosecutors also objected to the diagrams showing the two vehicles several feet away from each other and the back driver’s side door where Davis was sitting being open.

...Healey did allow for the use of multiple photos of the crime scene and of Davis’ body to be shown to jurors for the upcoming trial. Jury selection is scheduled to begin Monday.

Read more:  http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2014-09-18/final-michael-dunn-pretrial-becomes-battle-over-competing-forensic#.VByrdBbdrIV
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Michael Dunn retrial begins: Florida man killed teen in music dispute

Michael Dunn, 45, Trial For The Fatal Shooting Of Jordan Davis, An Unarmed 17 Year Old Teenager - Page 4 750x422
Michael Dunn, right, is directed to his seat in the Jacksonville, Fla., courtroom Sept. 11. (Bob Self / Florida Times-Union)

By Lauren Raab

September 22, 2014, 10:08 AM

The retrial of Michael Dunn, a Florida man who shot an unarmed teenager to death after asking him and his friends to turn down their music, began Monday with jury selection.

In February, Dunn, 47, was found guilty on three counts of attempted second-degree murder and one count of firing into a vehicle. But the jury deadlocked on the top count, first-degree murder. Dunn is being retried on that charge.

Read more:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-michael-dunn-murder-trial-20140922-story.html
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:47 pm

Jury selection begins in Michael Dunn retrial (Video)

Leslie Coursey, WJAX-TV   12:54 p.m. EDT September 22, 2014

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (WJAX-TV) — Jury selection began Monday morning in Michael Dunn's retrial.

Dunn, 47, is charged with the first-degree murder of Jordan Davis, 17. This is the second time he's being tried on this charge. His last trial in February ended with a hung jury.

~Snipped~

Jury selection is expected to last two to three days. Sixteen people will be chosen, 12 jurors and four alternates. A total of 490 potential jurors reported for jury service Monday, and the pool will support all cases picking juries for trial this week.

Read more:

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/florida/2014/09/22/jury-selection-begins-in-michael-dunn-retrial/16050575/
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:15 pm

Potential jurors at Michael Dunn trial already know about case, raising defense concerns about fairness

Posted: September 22, 2014 - 5:38am  |  Updated: September 22, 2014 - 11:51am

By Larry Hannan

In a trial, among the first goals is to select an impartial jury that has no predispositions or leanings about the case and preferably knows nothing about it.

But the first day of jury selection in the Michael David Dunn murder trial made it clear that will not happen in this case. More than half of the 100 potential jurors screened on Monday admitted to having some knowledge of the case, with many knowing that Dunn has already stood trial once for the murder of 17-year-old Jordan Davis.

When lawyers for Dunn renewed their motion to move the case out of town by citing what they said was excessive media coverage, including the Times-Union’s Sunday front page story looking at the case, Circuit Judge Russell Healey said he didn’t have to pick a jury that was ignorant of what happened.

Rather, Healey said, he has to pick a jury that will keep an open mind and disregard anything that happens outside the courtroom

Read more:

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2014-09-22/story/potential-jurors-michael-dunn-trial-already-know-about-case-raising
Alessandra_Deux
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:54 pm

Half of jury pool in Dunn retrial dismissed

Ann Schindler, WTLV First Coast News 12:17 p.m. EDT September 23, 2014

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (WTLV)-- Fifty of the original 100 potential jurors in the Michael Dunn trial were excused for cause by late Tuesday morning. Reasons for their dismissal included financial hardship, health problems, poor English skills, and even being "disingenuous" in their answers.

But the primary reason was they knew too much about the case, or had formed strong opinions they could not shed for trial.

Read more:  http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/florida/2014/09/23/jury-pool-dismissed-michael-dunn-retrial/16098877/
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:29 pm

12 jurors, 4 alternates seated in Michael Dunn retrial

Updated: 4:43 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 24, 2014 | Posted: 9:16 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 24, 2014

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. —

Twelve jurors and four alternates were seated Wednesday afternoon in the Michael Dunn retrial. The 12 were chosen just before 4 p.m., while the four alternates were chosen just before 4:15 p.m.

Jurors will be sent home Wednesday night to pack and will report to their hotel Thursday morning.

Their belongings will be inspected and they will be served lunch. Following lunch, they will be brought back to the courthouse for opening statements at 12:15 p.m.

(BBM)

Read more:  http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/news/jury-could-be-seated-wednesday-afternoon-michael-d/nhTBk/

Last edited by CuriousPortlander on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed typo)
CuriousPortlander
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next